Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,194 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:22 AM

Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. (74734 Views)

Anyone Studying In Portugal!!!! / Attention: Nigerians Living And Working In UAE (dubai) / Living And Studying In India- Serious Contributions Required (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by pat123: 2:00pm On Apr 05, 2010
Pls,I need someone who is living or had lived and studied in Russia to tell me how the place is like for Nigerians.I'm intending to go there for a year preparatory course that will grant me admission for their masters programme.Any viable contribution on life as students,job availability to substain and any other opportunities ?

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Davedavy: 8:28pm On Apr 05, 2010
@ Poster.
Firstly,which town in Russia are you going to?this will go a long way in helping me to answer your question. In general, it is not that easy getting a job especially when you cant speak the Language and since you mentioned you are going to do a preparatory course which is basically learning the Language, I will advise you to forget about working the first year.Its a whole lot of work and it will be hard for you to combine it with work,you will be so much occupied with school stuffs and you have to grab the language as fast as you can as it is the foundation.
Life in Russia is okay, there are a lot of Naija students there especially in Moscow and P/Burg. Racism in Russia is kind of high especially in Saint Petersburg and Voronesh, but things are getting better.
Things are not too expensive especially when you are living in a student hostel,after grabbing the Language,you should be able to get a job especially in places like Moscow,most of my friends there are working,the pay isn’t that much but you will be okay.
To summarize it all,make sure you go with enough money first during your fist year,forget about working first,once you grab the language,everything will fall in places for you.
I studied in Russia for some time so I know much about the country.
All the best!

Besides,Russian chicks are very HOT and beer(piva) as well as vodka is very cheap. smiley

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Davedavy: 8:31pm On Apr 05, 2010
usherroyal:

how pat i will like to ask you question on how apply for preparatory course for undergraduate student in russia if you can help me out with usefull information on it.thanks my email is  usherroyal@yahoo.com

There is no big deal,go to this site and browse the schools:

http://www.findaschool.org/index.php?Country=Russian%20Federation
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by pat123: 8:58pm On Apr 11, 2010
Hi davedavy,pls,I will like to know if the visa granted in the case of applying for PCP is multiple or single cos I will love to be visiting home while studying outhere.Not opnly that,I hope it wont be too difficult to secure the visa after getting invitation from the school?.Moreover,what are the kinds opf job that are available for students if at all i have any window to work.Finally,are they fairly payed job?like how much per hour.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Davedavy: 11:23am On Apr 13, 2010
pat123:

Hi davedavy,pls,I will like to know if the visa granted in the case of applying for PCP is multiple or single cos I will love to be visiting home while studying outhere.Not opnly that,I hope it wont be too difficult to secure the visa after getting invitation from the school?.Moreover,what are the kinds opf job that are available for students if at all i have any window to work.Finally,are they fairly payed job?like how much per hour.

Once you get your invitation,there are few things you still need to do before you can get a visa.You need to do the NDLEA clearance,you best bet is to tell the school to scan you a copy of the invitation so that you can start the NDLEA clerance ASAP,it takes some time,better still,if you know anybody working in NDLEA,then it might just be faster for you.AFter getting the NDLEA clearance,then you will be required to take AIDS test,as well as Police clearance certificate.With those three documents,and your educational qualifications you can apply for the visa.
i will advice you to get all your documents certified by the Russian consulate in Naija as well as at the Ministry of Education in Abuja if you have not done that.

As per your kind of visa,you will be given a single entry visa to travel to Russia,but on getting to Russia and after registering with your school by paying all the necesary fees,you will be issued a one year multiple residence permit with which you can travel out and to Russia as you wish.
Concerning the pay and finding a job,that is very hard to answer,it all depends,i knew of a guy getting around 15K rubbles working part time during school terms (that is about 515 dollars),i know another one getting around 10K rubbles working part time in a cafe (that is around 343 dollars).But mind you,jobs are very scarce and these guys speak Russian fluently.

If you are the rugged type and dont mind doing very rough jobs,then your best bet might be during the summer at the sea side,there is what they call Tumba Yumba,this is basically a form of entertainment provided by Africans in form of beating drums,dressing in African attires and taking pictures with the locals.Guys make a lot of dough though,but the job is TOUGH.And if you can plait hair(braids),that might be your best bet.

All in all,be prepared for a very tough time,new environment,new culture,new language and the get yourself a lot of warm clothes because Russia is very cold.You still have not answered my question about the city you are going.

2 Likes

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by ebbymayox(m): 12:55pm On Apr 13, 2010
all davy just told you is true ,i also stay in russia in samara.just dont 4get to hold wat would sustain you for like 4month,cos working in russia is not dat easy

3 Likes

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by pat123: 1:24pm On Apr 13, 2010
Hi davedavy,I've realy found your pieces of information very useful and guilding.As per my school of interest,I'm considering Rostov State Univ or St. Petersburg State Polytechnic Univ(SpspU) but the tuiton for Spspu seems to be on the high side.Nevertheless,what do u know about the schools in terms of societal acceptability,job opportunitie(when free to do one) and general life outhere?Meanwhile it will be appreciated if you have any other better school in mind.Thanks for your swift response.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Davedavy: 4:55pm On Apr 14, 2010
i dont know much about Rostov.Definately,if you are thinking of working then stick to the big cities especially Moscow and Petersburg.It will be very difficult for you to get job in smaller towns,almost all the opportunities in Russia are in the big cities,you will be able to mix with different kind of people not only students.Another advice i will give you is to try to mix with people,things work almost like in naija over there too,na who you know.
All in all,if you can get a school in Moscow or Petersburg,i think it will be the best for you,like i said earlier,i dont know much about Rostov but one thing i know is that,if you are in a small town in Russia,you can as well forget about any chance of working,even Russians in small towns are jobless.

3 Likes

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by TitanMoon: 9:51pm On Apr 14, 2010
Racism in russia is the worst in europe, the russians despise blacks

From Russia with Hate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4dgQ4LWVVo

Racism in Russia 'out of control'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8zKfluSsuE&feature=related

Racist killings increase in Russia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnBXSoHEu6I

Racism in Russia 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRScPVDSD6k

Racism Alive And Well In Russia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5znDM0CUukA

There are many, many more videos like this.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Nobody: 10:21pm On Apr 14, 2010
Iraq and Iran are better than Russia now self, you heard abt Poland President, abeg make you take another country oh, those people hate blacks die and if you visa expire more than a day it is a problem,
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by pat123: 11:29am On Apr 15, 2010
Hi davedavy,thank God you were once there (or may be still there now).What have you got to say about the racism?is it so bad as widely proclaimed?any aadvice on that?thanks for your help so far.i'll be waiting to hear back from you.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Davedavy: 2:38pm On Apr 15, 2010
As for racism in Russia,i mentioned it before,infact this is the first thing you must know before making your decision,Racism is high,though it was much more terrible,and things are getting better,but make no mistake man,Racism is a reliality in Russia.
I lived in the student hostel during my stay in Russia,so i was fine,you can easily get attacked by drunk hooligans as well as skin heads especially at night.
I dont want to discourage you,but if you have the means of studying in other places in Europe,it will be better for you,Russia is a very close country up till today,though there are a lot of Nigerians living and studying in Russia,i know for sure the Federal Govt send a lot of students to Russia yearly,but men,Russia is not an ideal country for foreigners.
I will give you a link to the website of the Nigerian community in Russia,they are always very helpful,most of them have been living in Russia for ages so they definately know better.

http://www.nigeriancommunityrussia.org/

All the best.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by opcomm: 10:31pm On Apr 15, 2010
To OP,

I also lived and studied in Russia for like five years (2004-2009) before leaving for North AMerica for my MSc. I lived in St. Petersburg. It should interest you to note that life in Russia is pretty hectic as well as fun. If you hope to depend on working while a student to survive, I would say think deeply before considering Russia. It's very difficult to find a Job as a foreigner and the Racism somehow might get your mentality distorted in some way if you allow it.

And it would do you much good to stick to Moscow. The city is pretty diverse compared to other Russian cities. St. Petersburg comes a tad second but I wouldn't encourage you to go there. Moscow will expose you to real life and add a whole new dimension to your lifestyle. You shouldn't because of the high fees in Moscow run away from it and opt for smaller cities like Rostov.

In Russia, the more diverse a city, the better. And the only diverse cities would be Moscow and St. Petersburg. An option might be for you to apply to Tver State Technical University for your preparatory course. They have one of the best preparatory courses in Russia and the fees are lower. Tver itself is just about 1-2 hours away from Moscow by Bus which is not far at all by Russian standard. Once you get a hang on the language, you can easily go to Moscow and start off a new life. Just an option though, to help you save up on some tuition cost the first year.

And forget about working the first year. Concentrate as Dave said on learning the language. If you are not fluent in the language, your life in Russia will suck big time. But Make sure you stay away from cities that are far way from Moscow. The closer, the better. Rostov is MILES away from Moscow.

Majority of the Federal Government Scholarship students as well as other students sponsored by their state governments are in Moscow. You won't be bored there. Take your time and think well. Ask more specific question and you get better survival tips.

1 Like

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Renoya: 4:50pm On Apr 17, 2010
hiii
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by pat123: 4:53pm On Apr 17, 2010
Hi opcomm and davedavy,
I really appreciate your help so far.I'm really confused with this racism thing.Actually,I'm applying for school outhere cos of the low tuition.I would have prefered any other place with a tuiition as low as $2500.Anyway,if my best bet is still to go there,can you tell me how life is in Petersburg in general,especially for international students/foreigners?Moreover,how can one avoid impendinmg trouble with the so call racist 'skull head'?btw P'burg and moscow,which is a bit better in term of racism and other things that make life worthwhile in russia.Thanks and have a great weekend as I will be expecting your response soon.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by opcomm: 10:15pm On Apr 18, 2010
pat123:

Hi opcomm and davedavy,
I really appreciate your help so far.I'm really confused with this racism thing.Actually,I'm applying for school outhere cos of the low tuition.I would have prefered any other place with a tuiition as low as $2500.Anyway,if my best bet is still to go there,can you tell me how life is in Petersburg in general,especially for international students/foreigners?Moreover,how can one avoid impendinmg trouble with the so call racist 'skull head'?btw P'burg and moscow,which is a bit better in term of racism and other things that make life worthwhile in russia.Thanks and have a great weekend as I will be expecting your response soon.

I would encourage you to stick to Moscow or St. Petersburg and stay away from other cities. They are not worth the hassles except you have enough money to take care of yourself. Tuition in Moscow is definitely higher than what you'll pay in other St. Petersburg, probably because the demand is higher.

You can also try St. Petersburg State University of Telecommunications. From what I learnt, their international student section treat their student nicely. The fees should not be above $2500.

Don't also fail to try Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology.

http://www.4icu.org/reviews/4027.htm

That school is highly ranked and the tuition is around that $2500 and it's in Moscow again. Don't miss out on the opportunity to have a one in a life time experience in Moscow. An experience you'll never have else where.

Use your spare time to check the universities in Russia and compare their fees.

http://www.4icu.org/ru/

Moscow is way better than St. Petersburg in terms of racism. This is because of the diversity of Moscow. St. Petersburg isn't that diverse .
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Davedavy: 3:03pm On Apr 20, 2010
pat123:

Hi opcomm and davedavy,

I totally agree with opcomm,Moscow is a very diverse city and if you can afford the tuition fees,it will be a better option for you.There are lots of naija students in Moscow and there is a deep mixture of international communities both in and out of the universities.

1 Like

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by pat123: 4:00pm On Apr 27, 2010
Hi Davedavy and opcomm,
I will like to know if I'm gonna apply for visa @ russian embassy here in Lagos or Abuja.The information is required  in one of the forms I have to fill in here(country and city where visa will be arranged).
Moreover,I will like to know the visa acquisition procedure from the point of submission onward.
Secondly,what are the other documents I've got to legalise at the embassy aside my educational certificates?
Finally,do u have an idea of how I can go about the NDLEA stuff?
If all thes are done,could there be any difficulty in securing the visa?
Thanks
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by pat123: 9:17am On Apr 30, 2010
Hi Davedavy and opcomm,
I will like to know if I'm gonna apply for visa @ russian embassy here in Lagos or Abuja.The information is required in one of the forms I have to fill in here(country and city where visa will be arranged).
Moreover,I will like to know the visa acquisition procedure from the point of submission onward.
Secondly,what are the other documents I've got to legalise at the embassy aside my educational certificates?
Thanks
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Davedavy: 11:05am On Apr 30, 2010
pat123:

Hi Davedavy and opcomm,
I will like to know if I'm gonna apply for visa @ russian embassy here in Lagos or Abuja.The information is required  in one of the forms I have to fill in here(country and city where visa will be arranged).

You can apply at the Russian embassy in Lagos since you live in Lagos. I believe it is easier for you than traveling to Abuja, they issue visas too in Lagos.

pat123:

You need to legalize your University transcripts as well, since you are going  for Masters degree. All your educational qualifications as well as University transcripts must have two stamps; one from the Ministry of Foreign affairs and one from Russian Embassy(consulate).

pat123:

Go to the NDLEA office in Ikoyi for the requirements, I think it should be two reference letters, a letter from your sponsor and his/her recent bank statement.Anyway,once you get to their office, they will tell you all you need to do.

pat123:

You also need Police character certificate, you can get that in Lagos too at Ikoyi.It’s an easy process and you will get it within hours as well as Police Deportation Certificate(I am not sure of the correct name),you’ll get that also within a day.
After you must have gotten these documents(Police character certificate, Police Deportation certificate, original invitation letter from the University and NDLEA certificate)you need to go for HIV test at the hospital designated by the Embassy, and that’s all.

pat123:

No, you wont have any problem in obtaining a visa once you have all the documents I mentioned above.
You can also call the Russian embassy in Lagos for their requirements and the time required in processing the documents.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by pat123: 11:23am On Apr 30, 2010
Thanks so much for the comprehensive information.I really appreciate that.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by loone(m): 10:22pm On Apr 30, 2010
god day,
I'm russian and live in Sankt-Petrsburg.

As native, I can give one advice to you, -here many people , especialy middle and over 50 will ready and happy to rent some space in appartament. Second one try to get russian frinds. You will realy surprise with them hospitality.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by pat123: 9:13am On May 01, 2010
thanks Loone.Can u tell me more about the city St Petersburg.Standard of living,racism and job availability for foreign students?
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by educations: 10:35am On May 01, 2010
Instead of you to go to Russia, i would advice you to study in Ukraine, because most African student in Russia
are living Russia to Ukraine, because racist is so common in Russia.

Russia and Ukraine are the cheapest countries to study but racist in Russia is just too much.
am in Ukraine and i want to let you know that Ukraine is better than Russia.

www.charitylubaconsult.com
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by loone(m): 12:36am On May 02, 2010
you now that, I spent a half of day with friends of mine from Asia. For now I do Little bit Drunk. Any way, I will respond to you tomorrow , Really sorry . Drinking in this country usuall things. Sorry again. I really need a sleep. Tomorrow I'll send respond to you. Bleep to many errors in my writing. Good night.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by justhustle: 3:14am On May 02, 2010
i would be going to tomsk university for a masters degree program,good thing is, it is offered in english language,i really need somebody who's had first hand experience of life in russia to really comment.
is tomsk okay for foreigners?
what are the chances of accesing other countries from russia?
job opportunities etc
wud really appreciate ur answers.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by Gilbertman(m): 3:54pm On May 04, 2010
@Op, I am really fatigued by your questions and unpreparedness!!!Repeated questions on a matter that you could easily deduced answer to from a previous post? With all you have gathered, you do not even know what embassy to go to?Do you think you can really survived outside Nigeria?And mind you avoid that guy that said he is a Russian,You may not want to associate with such people,take his suggestions and advice, but do not contact him or give him any details he can trace you with when you arrive in Russia.
Kudos to @Davedavy and @Opcomm for their patience and sparing time to go with you A to B to C and back to A , repeatedly.Thank God for such people, thank God for Nigeria.
I would have given you a # in Nigeria, of a friend that schooled, worked, lived and commute Nigeria/Russia, but your thoughts and preparations are not co-ordinated at all,and not encouraging,i.e to me to stack any store by you.No personal attack pls, just the plain truth!
You need work more on yourself or you may really find it difficult in a foreign place as diverse and racical as Russia.
All the best anyway.

3 Likes

Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by loone(m): 7:21pm On May 04, 2010
Forget about anything , I wrote to you. I did serious analyze of your situation. I can not to take any responsibilities on my shoulders. It may broke or change all your life.

About me, shortly- I did spent 6 years staying in Canada, my kids still live in there. Last 6 years living in Russia.
Last year I made decision to come back.

Last summer I sow many Nigerians on Black See. They were from Voronezh City. 465 km from Moscow. They've make all kind of entertainment's.
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by studcom: 1:31pm On May 13, 2010
Moscow yes St.petersburg No simply due to the level of Racism in that city. Actually Ukraine is more calm especially in the eastern cities.for more info on these cities :stevoks@yahoo.com
Re: Living And Studying In Russia-i Need A Serious Contribution Pls. by obietrice1: 2:32am On Oct 09, 2012
Pls I wud like 2 know d value of Russian State Universities Certificate wen 1 is done wit a first degree or MSc....Tanx

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

The Cost Of Fueling A Plane From Lagos To London / Sunday Emem Becomes The First Driver To Cross The Second Niger Bridge / Car Crushes Man Making Video Call To Girlfriend On Abeokuta-Siun-Sagamu Express

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.