Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,495 members, 7,823,158 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 04:58 AM

Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday (4224 Views)

Poll: Should Jonathan meet Obama?

Yes: 80% (12 votes)
No: 0% (0 votes)
I don't Care: 20% (3 votes)
This poll has ended

Nigeria Opens Show;ugandans Set To Trek To Kenya To Highlight To Meet Obama.pix / Jonathan Leaves For New York, To Meet Obama, David Cameron, Ban Ki Moon / Jonathan To Meet Obama In April (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by Nigerd(m): 8:51am On Apr 08, 2010
Jonathan to Meet Obama on Sunday
From Tokunbo Adedoja in Washington, DC, 04.08.2010

In what would be his first major outing as Acting President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan would be hosted by US President Barack Obama on Sunday at the White House in Washington D.C.
It would be a rare meeting between an American President and a non-substantive president of a country.
The high-level meeting has not been officially announced by both countries.
But sources at the Nigerian Embassy and the US Department of State told THISDAY that all necessary preparations had been made for this important parley.

It was reliably gathered that the meeting was finally sealed on Tuesday when the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF) Alhaji Ahmed Yayale and US Secretary of State Senator Hillary Clinton met in Washington, D.C., to sign the Bi-national commission agreement between the two countries.
President Obama had sent an invitation to Jonathan last month to attend the Nuclear  Security Summit which is taking place between April 11 and 14. Nigeria’s Ambassador to US Professor Adebowale Adefuye had told Obama while presenting his letter of credence at the White House two weeks ago that Jonathan has accepted his invitation.

It could however not be confirmed if the Acting President would stay throughout the duration of the summit especially when he does not have a Vice-President to take charge of affairs in his absence.
The two leaders are expected to discuss bilateral relations at the meeting which would take place by 5pm on Sunday. The Nigeria-US Bi-national Commission is on the agenda, in addition to global terrorism and counterterrorism measures.
Also to be discussed are issues of regional security and peace-keeping. Nigeria is Africa’s largest contributor to peace-keeping.
Working groups had been formed by the commission to address specific issues. These include: good governance; transparency and Integrity; energy and investment; food security and agriculture; Niger Delta and regional security co-operation.
The Good Governance, Transparency and Integrity working group will be launched  first because of the preparations and reforms necessary to ensure that the 2011 elections are free and fair.

US had last week announced new enhanced aviation security measures and set aside the list of countries of interest (which Nigeria is part of) announced on January 3, 2010, as an emergency security measure after the botched Christmas Day bombing of an American aircraft  by 23-year-old Nigerian, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab.
Although, THISDAY could not get the itinerary of the Acting President's during the visit, it was gathered that he may hold a meeting with selected members of the Nigerian community in that country.
THISDAY also confirmed that the US Secretary,  Department of Homeland Security,  Janet Napolitano, who announced  the new enhanced aviation security measures last week, will arrive Nigeria on  Saturday.
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by sizzlers(m): 10:48am On Apr 08, 2010
Changes i think positive ones
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by Beaf: 11:06am On Apr 08, 2010
Hopefully, the US will help with developing and clearing of the ND. Nigeria will be the next South Korea, Japan, Germany or other US cooperation success story if Jonathan can drive our case skillfully.
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by xttobliss: 1:23pm On Apr 08, 2010
This is a good start for Nigeria
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by Nobody: 1:24pm On Apr 08, 2010
Beaf:

Hopefully, the US will help with developing and clearing of the ND. Nigeria will be the next South Korea, Japan, Germany or other US cooperation success story if Jonathan can drive our case skillfully.

Hope is coming , lets start getting prepared to go home and contribute our quota grin
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by phuckNL: 1:29pm On Apr 08, 2010
Abeg, i would rather Jonathan stays in Nigeria ooo.
What if he is OUSTED before he returns to the country by the CABAL or the BOYS IN GREEN?
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by warripekin(m): 1:36pm On Apr 08, 2010
May my luck shine like that of Goodluck and every Yaradua in my way die , in JESUS name
smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by otokx(m): 1:42pm On Apr 08, 2010
Jonathan should be careful not to leave the country before he finds himself a refugee in a foreign land; the Yar Aduas are too close for comfort and could still come out with some mischief.
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by tomidayspring: 1:51pm On Apr 08, 2010
He shouldn't stay too long, so that Danbazzau and the cabal wont plan a coup!
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 2:01pm On Apr 08, 2010
I am not an expert in politricks but from history we have learned that sycophants change loyalties once you are out of the country too long (3 days is too much). Goodluck had better have something far-reaching to talk about than getting Nigeria off the terror list.

Electoral Reforms
Power Reforms
Religious Reforms grin
Economic Reforms (Not Soludonomics or Sanusinomics) grin

I cannot say i'd hold my breath but this "meet" won't amount to significant benefit to solving a quarter of Nigeria's numerous problems. it is simply a diplomatic show sad
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by rebranded(m): 2:03pm On Apr 08, 2010
I dont see Jonathan staying the whole 3days, plus its obvious God is with Jonathan, and hes put in place people like danjuma and co to look after his back.

If we have 5yrs of Jonathan kind of leadership i see everyone running back home!
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by Ben13: 2:21pm On Apr 08, 2010
We're yet to see something we can hold that Jonathan did for this country. I wonder why responses on threads like this are always on his side.

We need constant Electricity! A country as rich as Naija shouldn't wait for 4 years of governance to accomplish that.

I wish Goodluck safe journey.

I pray he isn't going with any explosives tongue grin
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by becomrich6: 2:29pm On Apr 08, 2010
Ben 10, nairaland is funded by the nigeria government and any view different from this is delete or ban.

You can see iwu just said, only he thinks only an idiot thinks he can carry out electoral reform. We have to face the truth. Only strutural reform can solve nigeria problem.

Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by Nobody: 2:41pm On Apr 08, 2010
obama should be aware of yara-dua ghost grin
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 08, 2010
@becomrich6
are u stupid, why are u posting this kind of pic? stop this ur madness ok?
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by oluagness(m): 2:47pm On Apr 08, 2010
Googluck, pls be extral ordinary careful.
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by alldone(m): 2:50pm On Apr 08, 2010
that is a good one
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by Nigerd(m): 2:53pm On Apr 08, 2010
The Keeper of Israel has neva sleep nor slumber he is watching ova Jona
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by Nigerd(m): 2:57pm On Apr 08, 2010
becomrich6:

Ben 10, nairaland is funded by the nigeria government and any view different from this is delete or ban.

You can see iwu just said, only he thinks only an idiot thinks he can carry out electoral reform. We have to face the truth. Only strutural reform can solve nigeria problem.

this boy again,

u no just they reason at all,

ve told u to go to He, ll

live this forum for us,

Yorubadogia
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by chidichris(m): 2:59pm On Apr 08, 2010
the way obasanjo started. flying from one country to the other with nothing tangible at the end of it all.
jonathan! jonathan!! jonathan!!! where is ur president? why not first visit yar adua before visiting obama?
a man who has a dead person under his roof does not go on a condolence visit in another man's house.
a man whose house is on fire does not go after rats.
if u like, visit saddam hussien in his grave, ur house is not in order.
we have electorial reforms to fix here, we have iwu to chase away and we have obasanjo dominance to deal with what is the essence of going to america?
better stay here and face our problems.
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by pkoncept(m): 3:29pm On Apr 08, 2010
This is good start for us. At least it will raise our profile internationally. Did I hear you say his goodluck is robbing off on us?
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by eros(m): 3:46pm On Apr 08, 2010
This is a wonderful news and a great development. I hope this is the beginning of good things for Nigeria.

@Becomrich6, PLEASE don't derail the thread if you have nothing meaningful to contribute. Thanks for being matured.
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by nethacker(m): 4:00pm On Apr 08, 2010
chidichris:

the way obasanjo started. flying from one country to the other with nothing tangible at the end of it all.
jonathan! jonathan!! jonathan!!! where is your president? why not first visit yar adua before visiting obama?
a man who has a dead person under his roof does not go on a condolence visit in another man's house.
a man whose house is on fire does not go after rats.
if u like, visit saddam hussien in his grave, your house is not in order.
we have electorial reforms to fix here, we have iwu to chase away and we have obasanjo dominance to deal with what is the essence of going to america?
better stay here and face our problems.
^^ i disagree with u. Jonathan's presence won't fix electoral reforms.FYI his mission to the US is as important as staying in 9ja. Yaradull had been there for how many years n he did not get an invite frm US cos they all knw he is visionless.
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by Fhemmmy: 4:26pm On Apr 08, 2010
Let us see what would be the outcome, but Jonathan seems to know how to behave well.
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by jonex70(m): 4:40pm On Apr 08, 2010
Does that mean the usa recognised jonathan more?
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by ichommy(m): 4:49pm On Apr 08, 2010
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by phuckNL: 4:53pm On Apr 08, 2010
So who will be the president while Jonathan is away? David Mark? The best thing for Jonathan to do is to stay in Nigeria until Yaradua is officially removed.
He may leave the country and not be able to return like someone said. The cabal may be planning something. Not to sound like a conspiracy theory buffon but what if Jonathan is in on it. What if they planned it togetther that once he leaves the country, "they" would take over. That way it won't seem like Goodluck knows anything about it.!!!!
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by Nobody: 4:55pm On Apr 08, 2010
@becomrich

Has your illness taken a turn for the worse or what?
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by jonex70(m): 5:02pm On Apr 08, 2010
Does that mean  the usa  recognised  jonathan more?
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by oge4real(f): 5:25pm On Apr 08, 2010
I hope they dont srip search him before he gets into the whitehouse.
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by Fhemmmy: 5:27pm On Apr 08, 2010
oge4real:

I hope they dont srip search him before he gets into the whitehouse.

Lol
Re: Jonathan To Meet Obama On Sunday by Fhemmmy: 5:30pm On Apr 08, 2010
Infact cant wait till next week to hear the news . . . . not sure if CNN will carry it over the weekend

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Biography - Ikedi Ohakim / How Family Lost 4 Members To Oct 1 Bombings / Urgent Answers Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.