Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,235 members, 7,818,788 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? (2685 Views)

Why Are We Not Supposed To Eat Meat On Ash Wednesday And Fridays During Lent? / Are Large/Mega-churches Biblical? How Large Is A Church Supposed To Be? / Why Are All These General Overseers Bringing Their Kids Into Pastoring (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by segyemaro(m): 1:03pm On Apr 08, 2010
Why are do we have church all over the whole place?Most people after graduating and fail to get job,starting a church will be their next option.We all that goes to church read our bible both in the church and during our spare time at home.These pastors,are they reading anything apart from the bible that will keep them busy from doing a normal job to the pastoring?I can count over 150 churches just in my area in Sabo{kaduna},and they all carry different funny slogans. I dont know if fellow NL members know what i dont know,IS PASTORING SOPPOSE TO BE A FULL TIME OR NOT?
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by Maykelly(f): 1:32pm On Apr 08, 2010
@post,

[size=16pt]Is suppose to be full time, hence Lord Jesus asked Peter to drop his net and follow him.
To be fishers of men - it has to be full time

Whichever way - man must wak - cause if these pastors depend on people - the same people must complain
just like the Isrealites with God - people (congregation) must murmur.

I advise pastor they should also be engaged in other activities that will help them.[/size]
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by ogajim(m): 1:35pm On Apr 08, 2010
I saw the same thing last month when I visited Nigeria, Pastoring is a full time job for those who can't get regular jobs or for those of them that were "exported" to the west, they are not allowed to work (visa requirement). It has become the only section of the Nigerian economy with any growth, the ones that had skills before they were "called" do some side gigs I am sure. wink
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by eghosaobas: 3:41pm On Apr 08, 2010
They are lazy people looking for easy money.
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by KunleOshob(m): 4:44pm On Apr 08, 2010
Since "pastoring" is mostly limited to the church community it should not neccessarily be a full time job except the pastor wants to become meddlesome and involve himself in every little activity the flock are involving themselves with. Basically a pastors duties should be conducting a couple of services a week and being their for the counselling of the flock when the need arises. So there is no reason why he should not have another job to support himself and family. However pastors today form uneccessary activies like, prayer meetings, crusades, conventions, holy ghost night, night vigils to dominate the lives of the flock and to also create the impression that they are very busy. There is absolutely no valid reason why pastoring should be a full time job even though the bible doesn't say anything against it. I guess it is discretionary but it would be nice if every pastor should work to earn a living and also give like the apostles did than to depend on others giving to them. As the good book says, "it is more blessed to give than to receive"
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by Fhemmmy: 5:11pm On Apr 08, 2010
Yes . . .It is supposed to be a full time job, cos u ought to take care of te people, pray for them, counsel them and seek the face of the Lord at all time.
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by ogajim(m): 5:29pm On Apr 08, 2010
^^Dude you no fit pray for yourself?

Come on man, one has to live right and be right with God for any prayer to work no matter who is saying the prayers for you. I sincerely don't see why it should be a full time job unless they are not allowed to seek any other form of employment, opari!
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by Fhemmmy: 5:33pm On Apr 08, 2010
ogajim:

^^Dude you no fit pray for yourself?

Come on man, one has to live right and be right with God for any prayer to work no matter who is saying the prayers for you. I sincerely don't see why it should be a full time job unless they are not allowed to seek any other form of employment, opari!

U bet you could pray for yourself, however, there is nothing wrong while i am working and all that and someone is busy just seeking the face of God on my behalf and that of other members of the church.
The pastor need time to prepare and take care of duties at the church.
Some take some days to talk to people and counsel them
Some are all over the place doing the work of the Lord
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by segyemaro(m): 5:53pm On Apr 08, 2010
Phemmmy,i dont think you are serious?how can you say pastoring should be a full time job?

1 Like

Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by Fhemmmy: 5:56pm On Apr 08, 2010
segyemaro:

Phemmmy,i dont think you are serious?how can you say pastoring should be a full time job?

I have been close to some pastors and i know how busy their life could be.
A member could be having problems and called him, and he will drop everything and run there, on his way back, someone cld call him from clinic, he is gone there again, and someone dies, he has to do the funeral thing, someone having kids, he has to be there to do the naming . . . let us be real, it is a tough job, and that is why those that were not called fails.
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by ogajim(m): 5:59pm On Apr 08, 2010
Fhemmmy:

U bet you could pray for yourself, however, there is nothing wrong while i am working and all that and someone is busy just seeking the face of God on my behalf and that of other members of the church.
The pastor need time to prepare and take care of duties at the church.
Some take some days to talk to people and counsel them
Some are all over the place doing the work of the Lord

I understand your point, do you think maybe that the influx of all kinds of shady characters into the Pastoring fold could be traced to the lack or regulation as this is an unregulated industry (if one can call it that)? All some of them need is a "calling" to the "ministry" when in fact MONEY is calling them.

Good deeds and continuance thereof will produce super abundance of face time with God, a Pastor can not and should not take the place of one's parents, no matter how busy I get, I will have time for God. there is no need for an intermediary as long as one has from Jesus Christ as his personal Lord and Savior.
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by Fhemmmy: 6:09pm On Apr 08, 2010
There is no doubt about the fact that many are not called, but they have called themselves, cos they see money.
However, it will be hard sometimes for us to know who was called and who was not.
That is why the bible said at the last day, many will come and pretend to be of the Lord, but we have to be careful and knowthe truth.
Any pastor that teaches contrary to the word of God, runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by Nobody: 6:25pm On Apr 08, 2010
Am sure if there is no money in d industry nobody wil take it as a full time job.beliv me it is al abt d money!
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Apr 08, 2010
Am sure if there is no money in d industry nobody wil take it as a full time job.beliv me it is al abt d money!
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by Fhemmmy: 6:27pm On Apr 08, 2010
Punkinmusty:

Am sure if there is no money in d industry[b] nobody[/b] wil take it as a full time job.beliv me it is al abt d money!

Dont be too sure, i know of some that would.
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by ogajim(m): 6:35pm On Apr 08, 2010
Fhemmmy:

There is no doubt about the fact that many are not called, but they have called themselves, cos they see money.
However, it will be hard sometimes for us to know who was called and who was not.
That is why the bible said at the last day, many will come and pretend to be of the Lord, but we have to be careful and knowthe truth.
Any pastor that teaches contrary to the word of God, runnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

", By their fruits, ye shall know them, "

We can figure them out (some take a while) based on their doctrines, associations, etc. If they teach anything outside of Jesus Christ or the Apostles, run, better yet FLEE is what the Bible tells us to do. Jesus took 12 disciples and turned them into Apostles with Authority and Seniority grin

There is an old Yoruba proverb , " all Lizards lie prostrate, it is therefore hard to determine which one has a belly ache until it is bad enough to cause it to turn over, ", in matters of the kingdom, it is our DUTY to find out before it's too late.
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by Fhemmmy: 6:40pm On Apr 08, 2010
ogajim:

", By their fruits, ye shall know them, "

We can figure them out (some take a while) based on their doctrines, associations, etc. If they teach anything outside of Jesus Christ or the Apostles, run, better yet FLEE is what the Bible tells us to do. Jesus took 12 disciples and turned them into Apostles with Authority and Seniority grin

There is an old Yoruba proverb , " all Lizards lie prostrate, it is therefore hard to determine which one has a belly ache until it is bad enough to cause it to turn over, ", in matters of the kingdom, it is our DUTY to find out before it's too late.

True Dat
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by aletheia(m): 10:01pm On Apr 08, 2010
Looking at the epistles to Timothy and Titus, where Paul lays down instructions on how the church should be administered seems to suggest nothing of the sort that we see today, where one person is the capo di tutti capi aka the G.O or pastor or what have you. But rather it would seem that the church is meant to be run by a plurality of elders (an episcopate), all being held accountable for doctrine and action. I do not think the position of elder is meant to be a full time paying job. Indeed looking at the book of Acts shows the simplicity of the fellowship. "They gathered to break bread", at regular set intervals. For the rest of the week, I am believe they went about their business.
Having said this, there will still be those called to full time ministry like evangelists and missionaries but even then some can still work for a living. (I know an American Missionary, who for the nearly 20 years he and his family spent in Jos, worked for a salary, while still doing the work of a missionary).
Nothing says that only the pastor has to do these things. See the example in James
Jas 5:14 Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord:
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by ezeagu(m): 11:27pm On Apr 08, 2010
Depends on the pay.
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by kenny888: 11:02am On Apr 09, 2010
Thats the only thing i like most about RCCG,70% of their pastor works.
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by Fhemmmy: 2:27pm On Apr 09, 2010
kenny888:

Cos some of the pastors are not full time pastors
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by osaromike: 2:37pm On Apr 09, 2010
So whose side are you phemmy? RCCG encnurages their pastors to work and that is how it sopposed to be,not after struggling from the begining of the month till the end and one jobless pastor would wait to brainwashed me into tithing that i dont even believe in.
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by ogajim(m): 2:47pm On Apr 09, 2010
Does RCCG preach TITHE erroneously??
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by Fhemmmy: 3:41pm On Apr 09, 2010
osaromike:

So whose side are you phemmy? RCCG encnurages their pastors to work and that is how it sopposed to be,not after struggling from the begining of the month till the end and one jobless pastor would wait to brainwashed me into tithing that i dont even believe in.

I am on the side, that a Pastor:
That is truly called by God
Doing the great work of God, diligently, should be doing it full time and be paid by the church and his expenses taken cared of.
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by segyemaro(m): 4:51pm On Apr 09, 2010
Yes i was made to understand that all the tithe in RCCG goes to the table of the GO, they said all the tithes collected belongs to the daddy GO.
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by ogajim(m): 5:08pm On Apr 09, 2010
I hear you Segymaro, I read that too about the 100 fold blessing for those who give to the GO and 60 fold blessing for those who give to the pastor, sounds and smells like someone making up a doctrine completely different from Jesus Christ >>>

Matthew 19:29 (King James Version)

29And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

kenny888:

Must mean the ones in Nigeria!
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by DeepSight(m): 5:40pm On Apr 09, 2010
Ogajim - confess once and for all. . . are you Kunle Oshodi?
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by ogajim(m): 5:59pm On Apr 09, 2010
Deep Sight:

Dude! You've got to be NUTS to think I am Kunle, we seem to share the same thoughts on a lot of these Nigerian impostors masquerading as "MOGs", I guess Kunle is also working right now on the east coast of "obodo" America where it's almost 1pm. You guys are good at distractions, have the moderators check my IP and confirm before you get classified as a big BOZO (major league A-hole as Cheney would say) or maybe you don't know that computers have addresses, lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

Too many kids here it seems, if you're a Lagosian, know this: I was already in high school before LKJ came to office or better yet before they had the so called LOOBO states, It's Friday and you're not gonna piss me off even if you try cool

Maybe I need to send you a link of Erykah's "window seat" video to chill with.
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by DeepSight(m): 6:01pm On Apr 09, 2010
Ok, apologies. I was just curious cos the similarities seem so deep.
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by ogajim(m): 6:07pm On Apr 09, 2010
Ideas are universal my friend and more than two people can share the same, Nigerian Churches are pooping everywhere not just there in Nigeria but all over the west. I have learnt a lot from NL because sometimes we get too busy with the daily grind too look too deep about doctrines and or issues that affect the body of Christ.

tonye-tithe was the first to make that accusation but wasn't man enough to apologize when he realized I shared issues with Kunle but not the same guy, I won't mind hooking up with Kunle next time I am in Nigeria since we're the same guy cheesy
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by KunleOshob(m): 6:29pm On Apr 09, 2010
Deep Sight:

Deep sight i am suprised that you of all people would accuse me of being Ogajim. That aside it is not only Ogajim that shares my ideologies on this forum, i believe ther are quite a number of us with similar ideologies. That aside i reside in Lagos were i believe you reside. Maybe we should hook up one of these days then you would know who the real kunleoshob is.
Re: Is Pastoring Supposed To Be Full-Time Or Not? by DeepSight(m): 6:33pm On Apr 09, 2010
Kunle I am sorry, the similarities were so strking, and I was just curious. Pardon me.

Yes, It would be really great to hook up, i do live in Lagos.

Hit me at xeniboer@gmail.com

(1) (2) (Reply)

RCCG, E.A. Adeboye (and All Other Churches) - Free Will Or Predestination? / Who Is The God Of Chosen? – A Python! / Against The Trinity

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.