Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,731 members, 7,817,012 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. - Jobs/Vacancies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. (29933 Views)

Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? / Please Narialanders I Need Your Advice About My Career / Job Vacancy For Dispatch Bike Rider With B.sc In LinkedIn Got Nigerians Talking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by linearity: 11:26pm On Jan 09, 2018
The degree of value add from Linkedin is as strong as the network that you have in Linkedin....Go through the people in your network and examine each of them critically and you will discover why you are not getting any value from it.

Focus on building quality network within Linkedin, it is link a website SEO. One website might have 20,000 links and will rank lower than another with just 100 links, because of the quality of those links.

Linkedin is also a place were you tell your own story and shine light on your accomplishments.
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jan 09, 2018
linkedin is useless,your network is useless,if you like add them,they wont repy your message

low paying salaries na wetin dey there,it s like any other job sites,dont be deceive

2 Likes

Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Yinkame123(m): 11:45pm On Jan 09, 2018
rastaLivity:
Hello folks, it's almost 2years I joined LinkedIn and I still can't see what the platform brings to the table. maybe two random Invite and consistent reminders to go premium is all I have to show for it, which kind wahAla be this? who I offend wey I no fit remember sef. please is there something I'm not doing right, please help me, over to the house.

I do understand how you feel about the situation. But in my view I think your profile Is not marketing you properly either in the area if experience or certifications. By the special grace of God this first job I was paid in hard currency was from LinkedIn. I have attended two interviews same day all courtesy of the platform. As a matter of fact the work am doing presently was gotten from LinkedIn. Two days ago still got another over and the reoccurring statements from all the invite is that we think you are the right candidate for the job. I will advice you search for profile of people that have specialization like yours and arrange your profile in like manners. Who knows favour might knock on the door.

2 Likes

Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Sampunk(m): 11:52pm On Jan 09, 2018
donigspain:
You're not using LinkedIn well. I have just 600+ connections but I've gone for over 10 "head-hunt" interviews, over 8 "applied" interviews.

My current job came from LinkedIn. I was contacted by a HR looking for someone in my profession.

Do you know how to network, brand yourself and infuse relevant keywords in your profile?
Brother i will be delighted if you could teach me the necessary and important setups.. Thanks
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by franchasng: 12:10am On Jan 10, 2018

Nigerians and bragging online!!! Bla bla blaa, networking, worknetting, bla bla,go straight to the point, tell the op how he can achieve his desired goals with the platform not bragging and not making any meaningful point.

How do u network when u can't connect with people u don't have their linkedin email ad

Linkedin is mostly relevant for real time professionals with sought after experience and skill not for fresh graduates without experience or sellable skill.

@op, first try and acquire some sellable skill in your field.....then throw your net wide open not just on linkedin, but everywhere, and at the right time, u will get a job.

It's unfortunate Nigeria is bulshit, u must struggle for everything, God will help the focused graduates and non graduates searching for jobs, keep pushing.‎

13 Likes

Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Daeylar(f): 12:28am On Jan 10, 2018
Very silly set of people on this thread, they came here to show themselves,
Op clearly stated that he doesn't know what to do and that he needs help,
Instead of people to help him or shut up they came here to make themselves feel good at op's expense, taking time to brag but couldn't use that time to type something that can actually help op.
Sadistic miserable bunch of fools. They get their joy from kicking people down.
They won't offer help and they keep insulting the op for saying he couldn't gain anything from LinkedIn. They then insulted him for asking for help when the whole purpose of this thread is to ask for help.
Disgusting.

OP please ignore all those bragging fools. They have zero sense.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by udemzyudex(m): 12:29am On Jan 10, 2018
rastaLivity:
Hello folks, it's almost 2years I joined LinkedIn and I still can't see what the platform brings to the table. maybe two random Invite and consistent reminders to go premium is all I have to show for it, which kind wahAla be this? who I offend wey I no fit remember sef. please is there something I'm not doing right, please help me, over to the house.

They always send me jobs notifications, you can connect with people there, remember your network is your net worth.
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Martin0(m): 12:34am On Jan 10, 2018
Daeylar:
Instead of people to help him or shut up they came here to make themselves feel good at op's expense, taking time to brag but couldn't use that time to type something that can actually help op.
They won't offer help and they keep insulting the op for saying he couldn't gain anything from LinkedIn. They then insulted him for asking for help.
Disgusting.

Coming online at this time of the night! Why? You don't ve a reason to me! But it not normal to see you at this time!
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by guiddoti: 1:01am On Jan 10, 2018
franchasng:

Nigerians and bragging online!!! Bla bla blaa, networking, worknetting, bla bla,go straight to the point, tell the op how he can achieve his desired goals with the platform not bragging and not making any meaningful point.

How do u network when u can't connect with people u don't have their linkedin email ad

Linkedin is mostly relevant for real time professionals with sought after experience and skill not for fresh graduates without experience or sellable skill.

@op, first try and acquire some sellable skill in your field.....then throw your net wide open not just on linkedin, but everywhere, and at the right time, u will get a job.

It's unfortunate Nigeria is bulshit, u must struggle for everything, God will help the focused graduates and non graduates searching for jobs, keep pushing.‎
Are you saying a graduate needs special training on how to market his/ her profile thru networking? I shake my head, bro.
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Bifrost: 1:13am On Jan 10, 2018
This thread is filled with hate speeches. grin

1 Like

Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by nasonaso: 1:27am On Jan 10, 2018
Sometimes we humans are undoing ourselves. We play God in peoples misfortune we always feel/think we are in charge of our lives not knowing that knowledge is universal.

If you can't help somebody don't put a slap on his/face just ignore

4 Likes

Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Chrisjordan2015(m): 2:02am On Jan 10, 2018
I'v noticed the Linked in platform itself is either a hit or miss. That said, I keep receiving invitations to apply for jobs in my profession. Some good and others not so good. You could try and optimize the settings so it can filter out jobs that are in tandem with your expectations.
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by pimper24: 4:47am On Jan 10, 2018
mountlarry:
what is your area of interest? Seek for people in that area. What do you know? Share it. People with similar interest or in need of it will engage you.
I have never found LinkedIn interesting in my career journey. It's really Over hyped and does not have some interesting features like deactivation links et al. The privacy devices are also wack; I left a job and didn't want the previous employer to know my new place, I got busted through LinkedIn despite my efforts to hide the new post. That was the year I deleted my account with all the bogus testimonials by those that claim they love my abilities. I have never got any job through linkedin
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Angy55(f): 6:55am On Jan 10, 2018
rastaLivity:
isn't that for Muslim? I have Bible already

You should have googled it first.
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Tozara(m): 7:12am On Jan 10, 2018
Daeylar:
They won't offer help and they keep insulting the op for saying he couldn't gain anything from LinkedIn. They then insulted him for asking for help when the whole purpose of this thread is to ask for help.
Disgusting.

OP please ignore all those bragging fools. They have zero sense.
And, since nairaland is a faceless forum, most of these clowns might as well be empty barrels and miserable souls in real life, trying to portray themselves as one of those who count. It's the only way to make themselves feel good.

Shitting on others to big yourself up is one of the primary symptoms of psychopathy. They do not only have zero sense. They barely have any souls.

6 Likes

Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Nobody: 7:27am On Jan 10, 2018
donigspain:
You're not using LinkedIn well. I have just 600+ connections but I've gone for over 10 "head-hunt" interviews, over 8 "applied" interviews.

My current job came from LinkedIn. I was contacted by a HR looking for someone in my profession.

Do you know how to network, brand yourself and infuse relevant keywords in your profile?
good morning brother. just started using this app of resent and have heard allot of good things about it but the truth is that i dont even have any tip on how to make good use of it. dont know if you can help a guy who rily could do with one.
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Nobody: 7:30am On Jan 10, 2018
majekdom2:
its obvious where you are failing.learn to do things yourself. there is no fast way. giving someone your details so he can edit for you is not help. how will you defend that profile if perhaps you are invited for an interview. A whole lot of work still needs to be done on you!
i love this.. but my question is this : how does one help him or herself on linkedin esp on updating his profile.
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Daeylar(f): 7:39am On Jan 10, 2018
Tozara:
And, since nairaland is a faceless forum, most of these clowns might as well be empty barrels and miserable souls in real life, trying to portray themselves as one of those who count. It's the only way to make themselves feel good.

Shitting on others to big yourself up is one of the primary symptoms of psychopathy. They do not only have zero sense. They barely have any souls.
Very true.

They are miserable souls, that one isn't a maybe case, it's sure. They are Miserable. That's why they want to drag op down to their level by making him feel worse about his situation. See insults and brags, but not a single one of those miserable bragging goats wrote something that could help,
Sadistic souls.

Maybe they actually are psychopaths, you know nairaland is a place where some people that are crazy come to display their madness. This anonymous forum is really helping them.

Help or ignore, it's very simple, but no, they couldn't help, couldn't ignore, like I said, zero sense.
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by romeorailss: 7:39am On Jan 10, 2018
LadyGoddiva:
You’re definitely not using it right and you’re not following the right people. Shame. Or maybe your LinkedIn presence is vapid and insipid. I know peole that have got mouth watering jobs in choice companies through the platform, the recruiters simply “slid into their DMs” and made good offers. If I want to get a job now, I can do so via LinkedIn and I can bet that within one to two weeks, I’d get a job I want. It’s all about connecting with the right people and not just being an inactive member. Create time to network, discuss, associate with other professionals. Remember it’s not like any other social network, it’s a professional one. I know the kind of useful help I’ve gotten via the platform. LinkedIn has so many potentials and it’s sad that people are not really aware about its existence. makes it even better for me. Lol

Selfishness at its peak angry undecided

2 Likes

Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Nobody: 7:41am On Jan 10, 2018
LadyGoddiva:
You’re definitely not using it right and you’re not following the right people. Shame. Or maybe your LinkedIn presence is vapid and insipid. I know peole that have got mouth watering jobs in choice companies through the platform, the recruiters simply “slid into their DMs” and made good offers. If I want to get a job now, I can do so via LinkedIn and I can bet that within one to two weeks, I’d get a job I want. It’s all about connecting with the right people and not just being an inactive member. Create time to network, discuss, associate with other professionals. Remember it’s not like any other social network, it’s a professional one. I know the kind of useful help I’ve gotten via the platform. LinkedIn has so many potentials and it’s sad that people are not really aware about its existence. Anyways makes it even better for me. Lol
dont rilly know how to use the app. could do with a help thanks.
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Nobody: 7:48am On Jan 10, 2018
luminouz:
JeeZ!!!
Nawa o....a guy asked for help n u niggas turned the thread to TESTIMONY TIME!!!
Send him pm n teach him...we know u have a billion connections n a gazillion offers with 'ultra massive pay' but HELP him naaaaaa!
Nawa o oooo!
a very simply question and everyone is trying to show how learned he/her is. typical nigerian for you when it comes to experiment my brother na zero....anyway what pm?
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Tozara(m): 7:48am On Jan 10, 2018
Daeylar:

Very true.

They are miserable souls, that one isn't a maybe case, it's sure. They are Miserable. That's why they want to drag op down to their level by making him feel worse about his situation. See insults and brags, but not a single one of those miserable bragging goats wrote something that could help,
Sadistic souls.

Maybe they actually are psychopaths, you know nairaland is a place where people that are crazy come to display their madness. This anonymous forum is really helping them.

Help or ignore, it's very simple, but no, they couldn't help, couldn't ignore, like I said, zero sense.
A large percentage of Nigerians are sadistic asholes. Why do you think, after many years, we still remain in the same mess and shithole without any means of exit? It's a reflection of what the majority stand for.

It's now a sin to be ignorant about something, and make efforts to seek knowledge from others.

It's now a sin to have problems and reach out to others for solutions.

Sick fools.

3 Likes

Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by romeorailss: 7:52am On Jan 10, 2018
luminouz:
JeeZ!!!
Nawa o....a guy asked for help n u niggas turned the thread to TESTIMONY TIME!!!
Send him pm n teach him...we know u have a billion connections n a gazillion offers with 'ultra massive pay' but HELP him naaaaaa!
Nawa o oooo!

Thank u bro. I'm just reading through. And I wish one could have exhaustive explanations but just testimonies without a solution. They don't need to pm him. Just explain thoroughly here with and we in such categories would grab. Someone is even thanking God that many people don't know how to use the platform which is to her own advantage, imagine that angry

3 Likes

Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Nobody: 7:57am On Jan 10, 2018
meiloya:

This prayer for me, thank you.

Do your best, improve yourself and keep at it. Something big will happen.

I'm not sure if any of you on nairaland was worse than me when I was still hustling, but things worked out eventually. It can work for anyone too.
good work brother...what a way to motivate others...dont knw if i can get to contact you outside this platform..will really like to get some professional adv from you thanks.

1 Like

Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Nobody: 7:59am On Jan 10, 2018
divicoded:

What is Facebook adding to your life
facebook use to be very interesting before them ladies messed it up with updating and uploading dp, recycling of post just to mention a few. fbk for me now sucks.
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by luminouz(m): 8:03am On Jan 10, 2018
romeorailss:

Thank u bro. I'm just reading through. And I wish one could have exhaustive explanations but just testimonies without a solution. They don't need to pm him. Just explain thoroughly here with and we in such categories would grab. Someone is even thanking God that many people don't know how to use the platform which is to her own advantage, imagine that angry
U dey mind DAT clown Goddiva nonsense
Naso skoin skoin she dey do na!
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by IAMEE: 8:27am On Jan 10, 2018
Pls anyone that can assist on how to maximize Linkedln opportunity should Pls chat me on whatsap and help a brother. Tanx
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Nobody: 8:27am On Jan 10, 2018
Talk2Bella:
smiley brother, u lie grin LinkedIn helped me with a job interview

Fine Girl, how r u? I know u were looking for a house on the Island one time. have u gotten one yet?
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Nobody: 8:33am On Jan 10, 2018
pocohantas:

Come and do for me too na embarassed

majekdom2:
u fit pay As my padi, I go do am for free grin . Freely I have received, freely will I give angry

Anytime I see someone rendering a free service, I know it's Rubbish the person is about to do cheesy
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by jd1986(m): 8:39am On Jan 10, 2018
lies everywhere....i no go talk grin grin
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by JimD(m): 8:46am On Jan 10, 2018
LinkedIn is over rated
Re: Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. by Nobody: 8:49am On Jan 10, 2018
franchasng:

You are right, people are not saying what Op should do.

(1) The best way to get a Job on LinkedIn is to Create a Work Experience (Either Fake or Real) of about a year in your particular field. You should then read up on it, Apply it in Practical to solidify your knowledge.

Once they need to verify in an Interview & discover that you have a very good knowledge of what you claim to do (Theory & practical) , They will be satisfied with what ever experience on your Linkedin.

(2) Connect with like minds, people related to your field, Also connect CEO's & HR's related to your field.

(3) Create Blog posts & write about a subject or Topic in your field that you know very well about, Once you share that blog post on Linkedin. It reach your connections & people connected to your connections once they click “like” on that post. If that post start to generate good comments. People will start reaching out to you asper your Job. If you do this consecutively for 1 Month each week. You will get a job, Even the witches in your village cannot stop you.

(4) Write Linkedin in-mails to several people, with a job application & write about your Work experience (fake or Real), they need to read about your work experience.

CC rastaLivity

10 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Who Has An Information About This Company-'hayat Kimya Nigeria Limited' / Citibank Management Trainee Program / Sleeping At EFCC Office After Aptitude Test PH

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.