Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,129 members, 7,811,193 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:51 AM

Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? (11447 Views)

The Lack Of Adequate Employment In Nigeria / Lack Of Jobs Makes People Stay In Jobs That Destroy Their Mental Health. / Linkedin Is Really Adding Nothing To My Career. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Vinnie2000(m): 10:13pm On Oct 12, 2022
I Visited a town close to Ughelli in Delta state.

Within 5 mins of walking, I Had passed by 3 Hair Dressing and Make up Outfits with Young teenage Apprentice Girls wearing Customized Uniforms..

Each of dem had 8 or 9 Girls each!... shocked sad

It now dawned on me that Most Young Nigerians (Both Male and Female) from 16-25 years of age NO LONGER WANT SALARY JOBS. sad

During my Time in 2005/2006, All of us were Rushing to Find jobs as Salesboy, SalesGirl, Newspaper Vendor, Pure Water Factory worker, etc..

But now, Young Boys and Girls wants to be OGA AND MADAM..
You often hear even 20yr olds saying 'I Cant do N40000 Jobs, I want to have my own Business, I Cant kill myself for Chicken change, Work na Suffer head'.. undecided

SO IF THIS TREND CONTINUES IN THE FUTURE, WHERE MOST YOUNGLINGS NOW WANTS TO BE A BOSS/ ENTREPRENUER, WHO WILL WORK FOR WHO?

WILL THE EXISTING COMPANIES SEE WORKERS TO EMPLOY

WHY ARE MOST YOUNG PEOPLE NO LONGER INTERESTED IN WORKING?
Please I Need Reasons.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Epositive(m): 5:42am On Oct 13, 2022
If you have a salary job, post it here and you will be amazed by the number of DMs you'd receive. It's an hoax that people don't want salary jobs. The diversion from salary jobs is due to low availability, not lack of interest. angry

281 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by aylive02(m): 5:44am On Oct 13, 2022
That is the level of laziness. Many think it is easier to be an oga but do not want to realize that oga also started as a salesboy.

17 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by VladimirPutiin(m): 7:14am On Oct 13, 2022
How will much will 40k monthly salary do for you in this Nigerian economy today ?

Infact before the month runs out you would have spent close to that 40k on Transportation and feeding, not to talk of other expenses.

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by SocialJustice: 7:26am On Oct 13, 2022
40k job is nothing, people are free to aspire for better.

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Moneyyman: 7:39am On Oct 13, 2022
This is mostly a result of the bad economy.

In the US and UK, many young secondary (high) school leavers, opt to attend vocational schools and get trade certificates. Check out the salaries of electrical engineers and building constructors (those that went via the vocation school pathway) and you'll understand.

Honestly, I can't blame anyone for saying they won't work for peanuts, as long as they do something legal to make more money.

If the economy is better, people can follow their passions and learn trades.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Tokskob2008: 7:56am On Oct 13, 2022
The first issue should be is the #40k job even available? The few that somehow got lucky by using connection to get the job are they ok with it and how is the job treating them?
At the end of 30 days you get #40k and when you deduct feeding and transportation from it you will find out you have absolutely nothing left so how long should one continue to endure that worrisome circle of nonsense

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Nobody: 9:35am On Oct 13, 2022
Vinnie2000:

Within 5 mins of walking, I Had passed by 3 Hair Dressing and Make up Outfits with Young teenage Apprentice Girls wearing Customized Uniforms..

It now dawned on me that Most Young Nigerians (Both Male and Female) from 16-25 years of age NO LONGER WANT SALARY JOBS. sad

During my Time in 2005/2006, All of us were Rushing to Find jobs as Salesboy, SalesGirl, Newspaper Vendor, Pure Water Factory worker, etc..

You often hear even 20yr olds saying 'I Cant do N40000 Jobs, I want to have my own Business, I Cant kill myself for Chicken change, Work na Suffer head'.. undecided

SO IF THIS TREND CONTINUES IN THE FUTURE, WHERE MOST YOUNGLINGS NOW WANTS TO BE A BOSS/ ENTREPRENUER, WHO WILL WORK FOR WHO?

Please I Need Reasons.

Nplfmod

they cant keep a job even they find one ,since we did all the labour for them they became lazy ,by the time they became adults there was hardly any labour for them to do,we built the roads we gave them skills or created venues and platforms on social media in which they can easily make money, we made life extremely easy for them.they cant multitask like us anything of that sort is perceived as suffering by them, very weak generation with a bad behaviour.we sort of spoilt them.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by RepoMan007: 9:49am On Oct 13, 2022
Vinnie2000:

As long as labour market is saturated with available hands, let bosses keep emerging. What I don't believe in about those small business is that they don't see any need to desaturate a choked up field of business.
How many hair are they making per day? How much can the workers earn each. It serves the madams at best and most times the businesses are front to something deeper.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Kiddogarcia(m): 9:51am On Oct 13, 2022
Ohh 40k job with less availablity plus no job security right.

Na we be your best plug for everything sexual enhancement tho

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by HarlequinLekex: 9:52am On Oct 13, 2022
I can't blame them sha sha learn the ropes before you start such

3 Likes

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by HarlequinLekex: 9:54am On Oct 13, 2022
As long as they are doing it the right way they are good to go

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by HarlequinLekex: 9:55am On Oct 13, 2022
Many are doing it only few will make it from it

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Passionnn: 10:02am On Oct 13, 2022
These young one working as apprentice are keying into the government new vision where it says it can no longer guarantee anyone government jobs at graduation. Even in Delta state,the government has a farcical job creation office. The office periodically sends a few hundred applicants from the million applications to various centres to acquire skills. At the end of training, they are given starter packs just to make a political Statement.
In the first instance, there are no good salaried jobs public or private. Any good salaried job like bank and oil company work is hardly advertised. Even if advertised, it's just for publicity. If you have no referral, forget it. Even the GM has graduate adult children still depending on his income for sustenance and you expect him to consider you? Forget it.
Then, the few jobs like sales boy/girls and pos operators, forget it. You hardly find anyone who can even pay 20k monthly. Only a person still living with their parents can do with that at this current time.
An able-bodied man ought not depend on salary jobs no matter how huge. One day, that job might end. Savings depleted or none at all.
We have been told constantly that the world revolves around entrepreneurship.
Education is important but don't hope it will land you a job. At least not in Nigeria.

16 Likes

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Conner44: 10:41am On Oct 13, 2022
SocialJustice:
40k job is nothing, people are free to aspire for better.

The op forgot to take the account if inflation and low minimum wage into consideration

3 Likes

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by SocialJustice: 10:50am On Oct 13, 2022
Conner44:

The op forgot to take the account if inflation and low minimum wage into consideration
True. People just want a comfortable life. Enduring hardship is a crime against oneself.

5 Likes

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by lereinter(m): 10:56am On Oct 13, 2022
Where's the work self

2 Likes

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Elsueno: 11:11am On Oct 13, 2022
grin

dats just shyt, if I see a 40k free job, I take and do it with no problem...it's like my neighbor paying me 15k monthly to help pick up his kids from school for a couple days in a week...I could do it 4 free since it's on my way, but since he is paying, why not grin

In summary, I don't really care, as long as u go pay me, and it's something legal & doesn't affect my proper job & business....I would gladly help any wannabe boss grin

3 Likes

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Vulcanheph(m): 11:20am On Oct 13, 2022
VladimirPutiin:
How will much will 40k monthly salary do for you in this Nigerian economy today ?

Infact before the month runs out you would have spent close to that 40k on Transportation and feeding, not to talk of other expenses.
There aren't even much jobs that pay up to 40k in naija today.

3 Likes

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by AKWATGOLD1(m): 11:29am On Oct 13, 2022
Countries all over the globe Nigeria inclusive are moving from certificate to SKILLS. To shock you more the salary of skilled labour is far higher than office jobs.
Vinnie2000:

Please I Need Reasons.

Nplfmod

3 Likes

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by VladimirPutiin(m): 11:38am On Oct 13, 2022
Vulcanheph:

There aren't even much jobs that pay up to 40k in naija today.

You are right and things are so freaking expensive.
Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Legend44(m): 12:42pm On Oct 13, 2022
Oga forget laziness... Why do you think Chinese and Indians treat Nigerians bad at work in there own country, it cos of the way Nigerian employers treat there fellow people. They will even intimate you with seniority to do what they want. I don't blame those who want to be a boss on their own but looking at these who experienced such, the circle continues. Me I don quite my job this Tuesday than to be emotionally and psychologically tortured cos it affected my mental health.. make I calm down think about the next phase of my life
aylive02:
That is the level of laziness. Many think it is easier to be an oga but do not want to realize that oga also started as a salesboy.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Rexymania(m): 12:43pm On Oct 13, 2022
I'm working o, but work na bullshit. I want to quit and goan establish myself

3 Likes

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 13, 2022
For where you wan fund 40k salary job for ughelli?There is no factory.Na hotel and bar jobs with less than 15k salary plenty there.

8 Likes

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Babafrayol23: 1:17pm On Oct 13, 2022
I quit job 3 months ago coz it's affecting me mentally and psychologycally . Honestly, right now I don't have #500 on my account. ASUU HAVE CALLED OF STRIKE NOTHING dey maybe I go drop out self. Make I start bombing fully hustle go pay

4 Likes

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Nobody: 1:32pm On Oct 13, 2022
omale88:
they cant keep a job even they find one ,since we did all the labour for them they became lazy ,by the time they became adults there was hardly any labour for them to do,we built the roads we gave them skills or created venues and platforms on social media in which they can easily make money, we made life extremely easy for them.they cant multitask like us anything of that sort is perceived as suffering by them, very weak generation with a bad behaviour.we sort of spoilt them.
Who?

1 Like

Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Nobody: 1:37pm On Oct 13, 2022
T
Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Nobody: 1:38pm On Oct 13, 2022
Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Oct 13, 2022
H
Re: Young People And Lack Of Interest In Working: What Is Really Happening? by dododawa1: 2:05pm On Oct 13, 2022
Nothing like HANDWORK.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Police Recruitment: 15,000 Apply For 140 Slots In Gombe / AppICS Outsourcing Limited Latest Job Recruitment (11 Positions) / What To Expect At A Driving Job Interview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.