Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,936 members, 7,817,731 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:14 PM

FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa (14314 Views)

Flying Eagles Of Nigeria Thread: U-20 World Cup (South Korea 2017) / World Cup South Africa 2010: In Pictures / World Cup: South Africa Vs Uruguay (0 - 3) On Wednesday 16th June 2010 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by ayo84(m): 10:25am On Jun 09, 2010
I heard one silly journalist on France tele saying we are hiding our poor people just like what the chinese goverment did during beijing olympics,but was put down quickly by an expect on african affair from cameroon,this people are not only haters but liers also.

now that's funny,4real , i thought blacks were also doing well, but there seems to be so much inequality in wealth between the blacks and whites.
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by 14(m): 1:37pm On Jun 09, 2010
RSA:

Good job,1,2 1,2 grin as usual.

Have you realised how quite the brits and the germans are now that they are in the country? I mean they know now that they've been reporting shiiit.
I heard one silly journalist on France tele saying we are hiding our poor people just like what the chinese goverment did during beijing olimpics,but was put down quickly by an expect on african affair from cameroon,this people are not only haters but liers also.

In South Africa we have very poor people(mostly black) and rich people(mostly white) and there is a world known history that could explain why ,so we are not ashamed.But when you come to south you will realise that things are changing quickly for the better

You know RSA, thats what people don't want to see. These European guys don't want to see a black person making it. We must always be beggars. They bring their white tendency here. This is Africa and you dont come here and tell us what to do or else you JUMP.

The English know very well that we are capable, last year June 2009, 40 000 of them were here for the Irish & British Lions tour. No one ever complained. Was it because the event was organised by whites, that is thye reason they did not complain. Now its soccer they are up in arms. Its just Jealousy. The English should not even start because they will be hosting 2012 in 2 years time, and i can tell you that its going to be a mess. Or someone will just make a boo boo in front of the world's eyes and resigns. They are thee most tupid people i have ever seen.
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by 14(m): 1:41pm On Jun 09, 2010
Fans cheer the Italian team as they arrive in South Africa

Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by 14(m): 1:42pm On Jun 09, 2010
Italy arrive to defend World Cup title

JOHANNESBURG — Reigning champions Italy arrived in South Africa on Wednesday to defend their crown after tournament favourites Spain showed off their firepower as they scored six times in their final warm-up game.

Coach Marcello Lippi's Italian squad, which includes nine of the players in the squad which triumphed four years ago in Germany, were guarded by dozens of police after their plane touched down at Johannesburg airport.

They headed off to the Leriba Golf Lodge, just outside Pretoria, to prepare for their opening Group F match against Paraguay in Cape Town on Monday.

The Italians' arrival ups the tempo two days before Friday's big kickoff when the host nation take on Mexico in front of 90,000 spectators -- including former president Nelson Mandela -- at Johannesburg's Soccer City stadium.

Italy have rarely shone since their triumph against France in the 2006 final in Berlin, but the country's football federation chief Giancarlo Abete insisted it would be a mistake to write off Lippi's squad.

"Italy are world champions, that should not be forgotten but you cannot deny that other teams have done better than us in the last few years," Abete said on the plane to South Africa.

"For everyone the favourites are Brazil, Spain, Argentina and England, but we've got great belief.

"For Italy we're talking about tradition and in big competitions our strengths show through."

But history is against the Italians -- no country has won back-to-back World Cups since Brazil in 1962.

Lippi has already lost key man Andrea Pirlo to a calf strain for the Paraguay game and the playmaker faces a race against time to be involved in any of the group games.

Injuries have blighted the preparations of many of the main contenders, but Spain will leave for South Africa on Thursday safe in the knowledge that striker Fernando Torres is approaching full fitness after knee surgery in April.

The Liverpool forward scored with a neat finish after coming on as a second-half substitute for David Villa in Spain's 6-0 thrashing of Poland in Murcia which showed the Spaniards are on track as they bid to win the World Cup for the first time.

"It's almost two months since I played so I am happy to have scored," said Torres.

Coach Vicente Del Bosque admitted he was delighted by the return to form of the man who netted the winner in the Euro 2008 final against Germany.

"We have finished our preparations and we can go to South Africa in good spirits," he said.

The only cloud on the horizon for Spain was a leg injury to playmaker Andres Iniesta, who will undergo a scan on Wednesday, although Del Bosque said he believed it was nothing major.

Portugal were counting the cost after in-form Manchester United winger Nani was ruled out of the entire tournament after injuring his collarbone in training, dealing a blow to his country's chances.

As a forlorn Nani watched from the sidelines, Portugal eased to a 3-0 win over Mozambique in Johannesburg on Tuesday with Hugo Almeida scoring twice.

Portugal coach Carlos Queiroz admitted Nani was a "sad" loss. "But the most important thing is the cohesion of the team and that we all play together to get over it," he said.

Queiroz was however given a boost after seeing defensive midfielder Pepe back in action after the Real Madrid player had been sidelined for six months with a knee injury.

England returned to the training pitch in Rustenburg, but all the fireworks came from coach Fabio Capello who unleashed an angry blast at photographers and cameramen.

Apparently believing some of the lenses were being trained beyond the players and into the changing room as his players emerged at the Royal Bafokeng Sports Campus, the no-nonsense Italian abruptly brought the shooting to a halt.

Meanwhile, England's opponents in their Group C opener, the United States, reported that Jozy Altidore, their top scorer in qualifying, and key defender Oguchi Onyewu had recovered from injuries and were available to play on Saturday.
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by 14(m): 5:13pm On Jun 09, 2010
Today in Sandton

Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by 14(m): 5:14pm On Jun 09, 2010
Today in Sandton

Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by 14(m): 5:15pm On Jun 09, 2010
Today in Sandton

Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by 14(m): 5:18pm On Jun 09, 2010
Italians are here

Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by 14(m): 5:19pm On Jun 09, 2010
Italians are here

Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by 14(m): 5:20pm On Jun 09, 2010
Italians are here

Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by 14(m): 5:20pm On Jun 09, 2010
Italians are here

Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by dayokanu(m): 8:06pm On Jun 09, 2010
(CNN) -- Three journalists covering the World Cup in South Africa were robbed of money, passports, cameras and computers early Wednesday, police said.

Armed suspects entered three hotel rooms where the journalists were staying near the town of Magaliesburg, police Col. Charmaine Muller told CNN.

Two of the victims "slept through the whole thing", but a Portuguese photographer woke up as it was taking place at about 4 a.m. local time (10 p.m. Tuesday ET), she said.

A suspect pointed a gun at him and told him to keep quiet, she said.

Police were called after the suspects left and are still investigating, she added. No one has been caught yet.

Hundreds of thousands of sports fans and journalists are descending on South Africa for the World Cup soccer tournament, the biggest sporting event in the world this year. It begins Friday.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/06/09/south.africa.world.cup.robbery/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by morpheus24: 9:57pm On Jun 09, 2010
dayokanu:

(CNN) -- Three journalists covering the World Cup in South Africa were robbed of money, passports, cameras and computers early Wednesday, police said.

Armed suspects entered three hotel rooms where the journalists were staying near the town of Magaliesburg, police Col. Charmaine Muller told CNN.

Two of the victims "slept through the whole thing", but a Portuguese photographer woke up as it was taking place at about 4 a.m. local time (10 p.m. Tuesday ET), she said.

Police were called after the suspects left and are still investigating, she added. No one has been caught yet.

Hundreds of thousands of sports fans and journalists are descending on South Africa for the World Cup soccer tournament, the biggest sporting event in the world this year. It begins Friday.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/06/09/south.africa.world.cup.robbery/index.html?eref=rss_topstories&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_topstories+%28RSS%3A+Top+Stories%29

If only they'd let me carry my Berreta with me. Damn !!!!!
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by rasputinn(m): 10:11pm On Jun 09, 2010
^^
^^^
I saw for myself the infrastructural development as part of preparation for WOZA 2010,the government and people of SA have really done Africa proud and I dare say there could not have been a better choice as maiden host of the world football mundial on the African soil.
Much as I recall that some past olympic games in Europe(including Germany)have been marred by terrorist attacks that led to loss of lives,even lives of athletes,I only pray the activities of the criminals there will not cast a significant shadow on the tournament.
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by 14(m): 11:04pm On Jun 09, 2010
rasputinn:

^^
^^^
I saw for myself the infrastructural development as part of preparation for WOZA 2010,the government and people of SA have really done Africa proud and I dare say there could not have been a better choice as maiden host of the world football mundial on the African soil.
Much as I recall that some past olympic games in Europe(including Germany)have been marred by terrorist attacks that led to loss of lives,even lives of athletes,I only pray the activities of the criminals there will not cast a significant shadow on the tournament.

Our hearts go out to those who were robbed. We just thank GOD that they were unharmed. There are people who are just waiting for something wrong to happen. You can get robbed any where in the world. If this world cup was being hosted by German or England and some journalist gets robbed, do you think they would report about it. No ways, its not an interesting story for them. Now what they are trying to do is to prove that they have been vindicated. Since they never like the World Cup to be hosted by South Africa.

These guys know very well that South Africa can host this world cup 120%. Their problem is that they will be proved wrong because they have been telling the world on the satelite TV's across the world that Africa is full of sick people and poverty. Yes, there is poverty, but not every one is poor. The way that they paint Africa across the world its not the way its gonna look on th TV during the world cup. People will just change their perception about Africa as a whole and thats what they dont want to see.

As Sepp Blatter always says, Africa has been sidelined for too long and still is. THIS World cup will change the whole World perception about AFRICA.
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by rasputinn(m): 11:54pm On Jun 09, 2010
1,2:

These guys know very well that South Africa can host this world cup 120%. Their problem is that they will be proved wrong because they have been telling the world on the satelite TV's across the world that Africa is full of sick people and poverty. Yes, there is poverty, but not every one is poor. The way that they paint Africa across the world its not the way its gonna look on th TV during the world cup. People will just change their perception about Africa as a whole and thats what they dont want to see.

Yea,I agree
Just let those few bad eggs not ruin the party for us.
I can't wait for the diski party to begin,it's a shame I'll only be back in Randburg after the event,but I'll catch all the action on DSTV
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by mbulela: 12:45am On Jun 10, 2010
dayokanu:

to 1,2 and RSA well done for this thread.
my thoughts are with these journalists.the trauma of being robbed at gun point is no child play.
howevere, this can happen anywhere.
a friend was robbed in essex recently.
her flat was emptied while she was at work.
several EPL players based in the city of liverpool have ben robbed in recent times and some were even held up at gun point while it happened.
the fact can not be ignored that SA is a country riddled with violent crime but it is often exagerrated and there is more going on in the country than crime.
Just a shame i will not be around for the world cup but i will storm the place soon after and i am sure of fun in large doses. Hala la Mzansi
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by 28Schweet(f): 8:01am On Jun 10, 2010
;d
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by wizzykid(m): 10:13am On Jun 10, 2010
Do u know that besides the fun and excitement, u can also make money from home watching the 2010 world cup in South Africa, and guess wat you don't need to be a football buck, all you need is good business acumen and you would make plenty of profits, for more info visit http://www . footballshares . net
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by Nobody: 11:13am On Jun 10, 2010
www.247sms.net

Hello Soccer fans , you can now recieve Text messages containing live scores of your favourite clubs and countries real time as the matches are being played.

THE WORLD CUP "SOUTH AFRICA 2010" IS AROUND THE CORNER, Register now to get the live scores of your favourite teams sent to your phone as the matches are being played.

SUBSCRIPTION OPTIONS
At 247sms.net we have different options in which the live scores can be delivered to your phone.
Option 1: Live scores at full time
Option 2: Live Score at Half time and Full time
Option 3: live score for international games
Option 4: Live scores for Friendly Games
Option 5:Text Message for all events ( * See Details Below)

* If you choose option 5 (Text message for all events), you will recieve live sms when any of the following occur

Match Starts
Live Scores
Name of scorer and Goal Time
Penalty
Live Score at Half Time
Live Score at Full Time
Extra Time
Red Cards
Yellow Cards

COVERAGE

Below are the leagues and Championships we provide LIve Scores for:.

2010 FIFA WORLD CUP SOUTH AFRICA
BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE
AFRICA (CAF) LEAGUE
ITALY - DIVISION 1
ITALY - DIVISION 2
SPAIN - DIVISION 1
SPAIN - DIVISION 2

HOW IT WORKS

Register at 247sms.net, fund your sms account, subscribe for LIVE SCORES thats all.
As you recieve your live scores when your favourite teams play, the units will be deducted from your sms account

Register now at http://247sms.net or call 08037795884 if you need more info
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by RSA(m): 11:43am On Jun 10, 2010
De Klerk: South Africa specializes in miracles
By RAF CASERT (AP) – 16 hours ago

CAPE TOWN, South Africa — For Nobel Peace Prize laureate F.W. De Klerk, soccer in South Africa has changed as much as the country itself.

From growing up in an upper class white setting and never considering playing the sport, to the reality of today with every hue of the "rainbow nation" rooting for Bafana Bafana at the World Cup, the former president has witnessed an amazing transformation.

"Regardless of race, culture, language or economic background, we shall all be cheering for Bafana Bafana," the 74-year-old De Klerk wrote in an e-mail exchange with The Associated Press.

It was in 1995, shortly after Nelson Mandela took over as president of a multiracial nation, that South Africa won the Rugby World Cup. Back then, rugby was a sport long abhorred by blacks. But it transcended historical and political overtones.

For the World Cup, the politician who oversaw the end of apartheid said everyone will jump on the soccer bandwagon. The only difference is that South Africa's Springboks, a team that previously symbolized racial segregation, actually won the rugby tournament. Bafana Bafana, a Zulu nickname meaning The Boys, might be lucky to survive the first round.

"Winning the 1995 Rugby World Cup was not exactly a miracle — since South Africa has historically been one of the top rugby-playing countries in the world," De Klerk said. "Winning the 2010 football World Cup would, by contrast, be a miracle.

"However, watch out! We South Africans specialize in miracles."

De Klerk knows plenty about defying expectations. He and Mandela joined in orchestrating the largely peaceful transition from racist apartheid to a one-man, one-vote democracy. It is considered one of the greatest political achievements of recent times.

For De Klerk, a paragon of the white establishment, it meant a major transition. That same kind of transition occurred in sports, too.

"The reality is that when I was a young boy we simply did not play football. The only winter game we knew was rugby," De Klerk said. "In summer we played cricket and tennis."

The participants all were as white as the official dress for cricket and tennis at the time. And when De Klerk was in politics, soccer did not really matter. It was played mostly by the majority nonwhites, who had little voice in government.

"I cannot recall that soccer was ever a great factor in our politics," he said.

Rugby and the Olympics were, though, if only because of the international boycotts that deeply hurt Afrikaners.

"There were huge debates over multiracial cricket and rugby," De Klerk said.

During those days, Mandela's fellow prisoners on Robben Island just off Cape Town found in soccer a vital release from life in prison.

Mandela was freed in 1990 and elected president of a multiracial South Africa in 1994. With great skill, he used the 1995 Rugby World Cup to draw black and white together, despite the often deep hatred of many nonwhites for the Springboks.

"Nelson Mandela was a great leader who masterfully used the 1995 World Cup to promote national reconciliation," said De Klerk, who shared the Nobel Peace Prize with Mandela in 1993.

Fifteen years have passed since the rugby tournament. The tension between South Africa's ethnic groups has largely decreased.

"The 1995 World Cup was special in its own way because it was one of the first opportunities for us to come together as a nation," he said. "I have the fullest confidence that our present government will rise to the occasion and will make sure that the World Cup is a success — even if they do not have the international stature of Nelson Mandela."

Still, there are challenges ahead. The game is still overwhelmingly played by nonwhites and the national team reflects that.

De Klerk, however, is loath to suggest much government interference.

"One of the things we learned from the past is that it is much better if sport is left to the various codes and to the people that play them," he said. "Football is becoming more multiracial because the country is becoming more multiracial. However, it might help to speed things along if government schools were to concentrate more on football than they do at present."

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by otokx(m): 12:42pm On Jun 10, 2010
Nice structures; am impressd.
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by dayokanu(m): 4:31pm On Jun 10, 2010
Durban (SID) - In the team hotel of the Greek national team in the vicinity of Durban has been broken into. Striker Angelos Charisteas from the first Bundesliga FC Nuremberg and midfielder Sotirios Ninis Panathinaikos confirmed by Greek media that they were stolen on Tuesday evening at approximately 1000 euros from the hotel room.
Ad

According to a report of the South African newspaper The Mercury made to the Beverly Hills luxury hotel in Umhlanga Rocks, 15 km from Durban, which is approximately € 3000 to have been stolen. The police confirmed that a burglary was reported. It launched an investigation but no one wants to deal with internally, according to a spokeswoman, because "the hotel the incident".

The Greeks start on Saturday live in Port Elizabeth (13.30 clock / ARD and Sky), with their match against South Korea
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by morpheus24: 5:37pm On Jun 10, 2010
dayokanu:

Durban (SID) - In the team hotel of the Greek national team in the vicinity of Durban has been broken into. Striker Angelos Charisteas from the first Bundesliga FC Nuremberg and midfielder Sotirios Ninis Panathinaikos confirmed by Greek media that they were stolen on Tuesday evening at approximately 1000 euros from the hotel room.
Ad

According to a report of the South African newspaper The Mercury made to the Beverly Hills luxury hotel in Umhlanga Rocks, 15 km from Durban, which is approximately € 3000 to have been stolen. The police confirmed that a burglary was reported. It launched an investigation but no one wants to deal with internally, according to a spokeswoman, because "the hotel the incident".

The Greeks start on Saturday live in Port Elizabeth (13.30 clock / ARD and Sky), with their match against South Korea

Chei Africans dem don dey thief. Abeg make police begin harrass people cause it will soon become free for all matter
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by mukina2: 11:46pm On Jun 10, 2010
I really did enjoy the concert today.

chei!!! its was beaurifulllllllllll smiley

My loffer Viera looked really good kiss ray Ray In your face! grin at least he has lifted the trophy. are you so sure you'll touch it uh??

all the musicians did really good,  K'naan almost made me jump into  the TV grin grin

Quinton fortune dey high on something which one be baby baby? na rapper? grin grin
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by mbulela: 7:52am On Jun 11, 2010
Loswika Duvha!!!!!!!!
Let's go there.
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by SATMAN(m): 10:52am On Jun 11, 2010
Exclusive images from yesterday's FIFA World Cup celebration concert.

MORE AT www.satmanafrica..com

Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by SATMAN(m): 10:59am On Jun 11, 2010

Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by 14(m): 11:00am On Jun 11, 2010
South Africa v Mexico: moment of truth has arrived, says hosts captain Aaron Mokoena

An expected 85,000 fans will be in the stadium with millions more watching the World Cup opener at home.

But, according to the Portsmouth defender, that match was a good dress rehearsal and he believes his team-mates are now fully prepared for today's clash.

''It was an opportunity for us to come and play against Colombia here in the stadium, so that we could get the feeling as to how it's going to be,'' he said.

''We looking forward to the game. We've been through the feelings of how it's going to be.

''It's going to be important that we go out relaxed, but of course not too relaxed, and enjoy it.''

Mokoena, who recently became the first South African to reach 100 caps, also acknowledged that all the work done in recent years was now about to be put to the test.

''This is the most important thing. It's obviously important to win the first game of a tournament," he added.

''We have a great respect against Mexico. They are a fantastic side, but for us it's important that we go out there and give it our all.

''We need to win badly and we're going to make it difficult for Mexico.

''It's about us, it's about what we want and about making our country proud. The moment of truth has arrived."

Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by 14(m): 11:14am On Jun 11, 2010
The South Africa 2010 party got under way in style last night with a joyous, colourful and truly African FIFA World Cup™ Kick-off Celebration Concert in Soweto, Johannesburg.

Held in the football heartland that is Orlando Stadium, home of iconic club side Orlando Pirates, the concert featured a host of stars including Shakira, Alicia Keys, K'Naan and the Black Eyed Peas. A wide variety of acts took to the stage but the abiding theme was one of celebration for the African continent with the event broadcast across the world.

The countdown clock introducing the three-hour extravaganza finally hit zero and with it came a cacophonous roar as seemingly thousands of South Africa flags were lifted aloft creating an ocean of colour among the estimated 30,000 in attendance. Joining the countless Rainbow Nation colours were a broad cross-section of national flags representing every corner of the globe, as the many visitors in attendance took the opportunity to enjoy Africa’s impressive ability to turn on a party.

FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter and South African President Jacob Zuma jointly opened the concert after the early acts. As the evening progressed a cavalcade of football stars took to the stage between performances including former Bafana Bafana captain Lucas Radebe, Christian Karembeu, Quinton Fortune, Socrates and Jay Jay Okocha. Another joyous presenter was Archbishop Desmond Tutu decked out in Bafana Bafana supporter gear and who introduced a video presentation on Nelson Mandela with trademark enthusiasm.

The large crowd rarely dropped their energy levels and their infectious enthusiasm was palpable. "I have been to a lot of concerts but I have never been to a concert like this," said ebullient Johannesburg resident Khensami Majola, just as K'Naan took to the stage to perform his poignant song 'Wavin Flag'. "It is amazing fun, we are having a huge jam. It is a perfect presentation of Africa – north, south, east and west." The concert drew to a spectacular conclusion with Colombian pop princess Shakira in impressive form. She was joined on stage by Freshlyground for a rendition of 'Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)', the Official FIFA World Cup theme.

Another proud concert-goer was Soweto local William Oosthuizen who spoke with pride as he took a rare break from dancing. "I am very proud and I am enjoying this immensely,” he said. “Beauty in the heart of Soweto. This is what Africa is all about. Sport has a unifying factor and it’s all about people enjoying themselves."

Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by 14(m): 11:20am On Jun 11, 2010
Bafana 'will be fearless'

Johannesburg - Bafana Bafana captain Aaron Mokoena believes his team-mates will be fearless when they take to the field against Mexico.

South Africa kick off the 2010 World Cup at Soccer City on Friday against a fluid El Tri side. Around 85 000 supporters are expected to be clad in yellow, armed with a vuvuzela and a flag at the 94 000-seater stadium.

Carlos Alberto Parreira's boys will have overwhelming support, but the skipper insists Bafana won't be nervous or anxious.

"It was an opportunity for us to come and play against Colombia here in the stadium, so that we could get the feeling as to how it's going to be," Mokoena said.

"We looking forward to the game. We've been through the feelings of how it's going to be.

"It's going to be important that we go out relaxed, but of course not too relaxed, and enjoy it."

He added: "This is the most important thing. It's obviously important to win the first game of a tournament.

"We have a great respect against Mexico. They are a fantastic side, but for us it's important that we go out there and give it our all.

"We need to win badly and we're going to make it difficult for Mexico.

"It's about us, it's about what we want and about making our country proud. The moment of truth has arrived."
Re: FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010 - Reporting From South Africa by 14(m): 11:31am On Jun 11, 2010
World Cup 2010: Spain Arrive In South Africa

Euro 2008 champions Spain have arrived in South Africa ahead of this summer's World Cup finals.

The Spanish national squad, the last of the 32 that will compete at the World Cup to arrive in the African country, landed at Johannesburg's international airport at around 0915 local time after a 10-hour flight.

The players, who flew first class in an Iberia Airbus A340 aircraft, are now taking care of the required formalities before being allowed into the country.

Spain, who will meet Switzerland, Honduras and Chile in Group H, will now travel by bus to Potchefstroom, a city located 135 km away from Johannesburg, for their training camp.

Can Spain win the World Cup? Check out Castrol Football's 2010 FIFA World Cup Success Predictor.

Become a fan of Goal.com International on Facebook! Just click onto Facebook.com/Goal to join the beautiful game's leading fan community

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

"There Is No Christmas For Us" - Chelsea Coach Maurizio Sarri / Mark Clattenburg: "I Once Threw My Boots At Mourinho" - EPL Referee / Keshi Is Satisfied With Result Against Zambia

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.