Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,931 members, 7,835,109 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:37 AM

My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help (26571 Views)

Abroad Must Favour My Family (hilarious Photo) / Sermon That Touches The Heart: The Day My Boyfriend And I Went To Church / How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Nobody: 5:17am On Apr 12, 2010
Please give a big thought to marrying this guy! <3. Religion has never to made any difference

Note: once that guy becomes "born-again", you can take it he'll totally lose his "nice sides" and will end up more like the other heartbreakers you have known!
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Pk001(m): 5:39am On Apr 12, 2010
It is completely wrong for a Christian to marry an unbeliever. If were marry before one of before of you got converted that's a different case. Never make the mistake by getting married to this guy thinking you will Change him. If you can't change him now, you will definitely not be able to change him when you get married. Marriage is very important to your life, and you cant afford to make king size mistake by getting into the wrong one. You will sure regret. Be patient, pray to God and have faith .He will surely give what you desire, time is no barrier at all. And if you are sure he is the man for you , be patient and convert him first using your convictions of Christianity. If you cant convert him, then don't marry him. Believe me God has a better plan for you.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Nobody: 6:00am On Apr 12, 2010
@ "nopuqeater"
is either dude is on the wrong thread, or he is confused grin grin
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Nobody: 6:10am On Apr 12, 2010
Quote from Jagunlabi:   Two words of advice,"MARRY HIM"
You are not going to see any better man to propose to you in any church, i swear.All you will see in churches are a bunch of scriptural hypocrites and bible thumbing bigots of men who use biblical scriptures to disrespect and belittle women.The socalled religious men have egos the size of mount Everest.

If you let him out of your grasp because of peer pressure, my sister, ya own don finish as far as Mr. right is concerned.Your boyfriend(according to your description of him) is far more spiritual than any christian man you have and will ever know.

It is your life and your happiness and not that of your parents and your church brethrens, so choose wisely

Dude, is either u are an autheist, if not, your advise is wrong

@poster,
  are u concern of the thing of the spirit or the thing of the world?     or   [size=15pt]"What shall it profit a man to gain the whole world and loss his soul in hell?"[/size]
try to convert him, if he still insist, then move on with ur life
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Nobody: 6:34am On Apr 12, 2010
@ davidylan,
God bless u, u are one of the best, good advice

1 Like

Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Mhismole(f): 6:38am On Apr 12, 2010
Religion is a typical frankenstein. Created out of the minds of men and politics, and killing them slowly but surely. Poster, you'r not a christain, you just believe in religion. I inferred that from your post. However, this guy seems like pure gold. Such a pure thinking man knows what he's doing with you. The humane part of my heart wants you to think of this seriously, bat this issue around with as many unprejudiced minds you can meet. Remember that no person is worth the loss of your family connections, when everyone else lets you down, theyl be stuck with you.
However, this is the advice i think will sail you through. Marry him. Learn from experience. Then in 5 years time be ready to advice others who are sure to fall into your trap, given the rate at which atheism is growing. smiley
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Nobody: 6:55am On Apr 12, 2010
I have only 2 contribution to make 1. try to figure out how his atheist nature started because i know he is not born one 2. you two have to finalize on whose faith the kids are to be brought up with, i think the outcome of this will help u decide on what to do.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by mayor007(m): 6:57am On Apr 12, 2010
Sia Fuller, the solution to your problem is just having an heart to heart discussion with the guy. Let him understand your family's point of view. You don't wanna be alienated by your family believe me. To everyone is their choice of religion but your lives are gonna be linked together after marriage. Ponder on the future and look at the bigger picture. This is one of the reasons why I tell people to marry someone of the same disposition with them. Ask yourself this: Are you still gonna feel the same way about him after several years in marriage? And stop playing the age card. Remember it is two choices: your faith/loved ones VS your emotions/your future, Take a long hard look at yourself in the mirror and ask yourself what you really want. Good luck.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by obafunshy(m): 6:58am On Apr 12, 2010
DONT BE A FOOL! YOU ARE A CHRISTIAN, YOU HAVE GOD. GOD WILL NEVER WANT YOU TO MARRY UNBELIEVER. YOU SHOULD KNOW BETTER THAT IF YOUR ATHEIST GUY NOTICES ANYTHING IN YOU,WHAT ARE THE PRINCIPLES THAT TELLS HIM ABOUT FORGIVENESS,OR THAT HE CAN SHOW HIS ANGER BUT NOT KEEP MALICE,OR THE 70 * 70 TIMES IN DAY THING BEFORE HE CAN REVENGE.I AM SURE THIS ONE IS A TEMPTATION FROM GOD ITSELF WHETHER U CAN WAIT FOR THE RIGHT TIME OR MESMERISED BY GOODIES OF THE WORLD. MOREVER, WHAT IS HIS STRENGTH, U DNT KNW? HOW HE MADE HIS MONEY? THE KIND OF THINGS HIS PARENTS DO,IF THEY ARE OCCULTIST? YOU SHOULD GET MORE SPIRITUAL TO SOLVE YOUR PROBLEM, YOUR HUSBAND WILL COME AT THE RIGHT TIME. any further questions get thru to me at pharma4mee@yahoo.com or 08038085915
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by tessybrown(m): 7:19am On Apr 12, 2010
It true of waT u GUyZ ARE SAYin BUt the problem there are the GIRLS 4 Eg check oUt diz to heaR THEIR COMENTS http://ladieshood.waphall.com
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by amosnaira: 7:32am On Apr 12, 2010
know that no matter what u are getting from someone else now as an unmarried person, your family loves u most. so they are in the best position to give u the best advice that will benefit u most and in future. And know that that man is bound to fail u but God does not fail. please, listen to your family and know again that they love u more than that guy.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by eleffizi: 8:04am On Apr 12, 2010
Dear Sia,

I understand that you love your boyfriend very much , but I also want to know whether you love Jesus so much.If you think He deserves to be first in your life, then give Him His due place, even in your relationship. As for him, He really loves you(John 3:16. John 14: 14). I want you to understand that atheism is one of the greatest weapons among the "-isms"[/i]among the dreadful ones like fundamentalism, racism, satanism,tribalism, and many others) that the devil is using to oppress the world today. It is am ominous sign of rebellion towards the Supreme Being, especially when you realise that this Man and this world was too wonderfully created to have existed on its own(Big Bang whatever).

Personally, I have seen and experienced the wonders and love of God in my life enough to stay with him, no matter what.

If you really love God and pray to him about it, He will show you the way out. He is not a non-living thing, neither is he a man that he should lie.
He will give you an alternative, if the need arises. But I must let you know that He has also given you the wisdom to govern our own affairs. For your peculiar situation, please read the following verses about companionship. (Proverbs 13:20, 1 Corinthians 15:33, 2 Samuel 25, the whole of Ecclesiates), and meditate on it.

Remember this: [i]Until GOD continues to make sense in your life, you will never make sense out of life throughout your period of living

1 Like

Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by jagunlabi(m): 8:08am On Apr 12, 2010
KAI!This thread na wa!Make una dey witness prejudice, intolerance and discrimination in the name of god and religion. It is just absolutely sickening and way too surreal for me. One day, this old ways of thinking that create all these illusions of separation amongst us will finally seize to exist. I can hardly wait for that day to come.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Musiwa: 8:13am On Apr 12, 2010
My boyfriend is not disguising who he is in terms of his spirituality but he is offering me this unconditional love which i have seen and no man has given me despite their promises. My only fear is that my parents will see me as an out cast, my friends dont like him for it, my pastor and church members loathe him for being an athiest

Is this person calling himself an athiest , the answer is no. Nobody can label you an athiest . This lady have no reason to call him an athiest.

He only said, he does not want a church wedding. I dont like weddding myself. some people prefer quiet wedding.
None of you have seen my picture, but millions have read what I wrote, because I do not public life. I am a quiet person.  Like I believe more than than 10 million people know me, but have never seen my face or even my picture, because I dont like all this type of life style.  Am I an athiest ?? No I am not.
I need you to show me, why you think he is an athiest .?

When it comes to church, you think, who should be your pastor and which church , you go to. NO pastor can choice me. I am person that knows what I believe. A pastor may preach from today to kingdom come. I do not have to believe him,  I listen. but does not mean I believe. I have been scam by pastors before. Pastors who use informant.

I think the young man heart have be broken by the church, and not because he is an athiest.

When a church preach one thing and does another, people stop believing the church and pastors. This is what is happening. Do what you preach. Pastors nowadays , dont do what they preach. So young men like him stop believing the church. or mosque.

The honest truth Nigeria need a reform. In government and religion.  

I dont believe in all this big wedding. I remember my former co worker, where  I use to work , many years aoo. A white man.  He came to work with a wedding ring and a key to a house. He never did a church wedding. His wife agreed to no ceremony wedding.

Smart people they own a house. Do you know any nigeria woman, who would agree to that with you?    Nigerian are about show off. Why dont you go to a nigerian church abroad. It is like a car dealership. Even if they just least the car for the weekend.  Some nigerian least car for the weekend to please church members. Me I am not interest in that nigerian nonsense.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by dustydee: 8:25am On Apr 12, 2010
He says you don't have to be a christian to be kind, compassionate and honest and to help people.
true
but then if christains as you said are hypocrates,what about someone who doesnt believe in God? I also question your love for God since you knw that he hates God and will definately not want you to continue in the faith(thats if you are still in the faith).For you to be torn between your God and a mortal man brings to question your faith, do what you like but remember if you marry devil pickin, no devil be your father inlaw, a word is enough for the wise.God bless you my sister.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Nobody: 8:30am On Apr 12, 2010
[color=#990000][color=#990000]Since i have known him, he doesnt smoke or drink or party, move around with unserious or bad friends. He has never cheated on me and promised to never do so because its not his nature. He hasn't hit me before and also swore the day that he hits me mistakenly i should stab him and dump him there and then because he doesnt appreciate Men who beat women. He takes care of me and sometimes even cook for me when ever i come to his place. He even paid close to N300,000 for my hospital bills when i had a surgery and he stayed with me most of the time. I know he truely and genuinely loves me but this issue of his religion and atheism is my only problem with him. He has even driven me to church on so many occassions when it rains or when am going for Night Virgil but he never comes down or attends it and he sometimes comes back to pick me up when i am done.

He blatantly refuses to change. My pastor dislikes him so much and sees him as a bad influence to me because he says anybody that is not of the spirit and with the spirit of God is a temptation to be cut loose. My Mom doesnt even want to hear anything about him until he renounces his atheism but she hasnt complained about him concerning anything else. My Dad has warned me not to bring a devil to his house hold and sees him as a Devil's incarnate and spritually unclean. He even promised to disown me if i ever call him my financee talkless of bringing home as a potential husband. Most of my female friends drool over him and tell me how lucky i am to meet such a good man while others warn me that he is demonic and i should stay away from him because he doesnt believe in God.

The thing is that he is very brilliant and intelligent and when you hear him speak sometimes he could be so mesmerizing when denouncing religion and the bible or Koran as mere propagandas and fictional works. There was even a day some people in my fellowship came to meet him to pray and convert him and it turned into a debate and he ended up winning the argument and making us question or faith back in a total reversal of roles. He is very unsparing and merciless when it comes to things of God, Bible or religion and makes no apologises for it. Apart from that, he is a total kitty cat. Calm, collected, mature, responsible and humble. 2 days ago he jokingly made a feeble attempt to propose to me but added a clause that we would only do a registry marriage and not church wedding because he cant stand the site of the hypocrisy of christianity and the church but he would go out of his way to make sure i have a memorable wedding @ the registry and reception. He tells me that prayers dont work and only daft and lazy people believe in prayers. He says you don't have to be a christian to be kind, compassionate and honest and to help people. He says its human nature and the society that dictates how we think and act and he chooses to be someone that is kind and honest to people and not attribute it to one God or Church. Anytime i come back from Church and talk about my pastor or what i was taught, he gets very angry. He doesnt like hearing anything about pastors, churches, tithes and sermons but when you get into a biblical argument with him, its as if he knows the bible inside out and the right quotes without even reading it. He is that articulate.
[/color][/color]

Galfriend this is the very definition of anti christ. That's d devil incarnate himself. Flee.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by peacettw: 8:32am On Apr 12, 2010
I have only this to say. This situation can be viewed from two angles. One is which u are adviced not to go ahead cos as a christian, u shld not hook with unbelievers. The second being that Jesus did relate with unbelievers during his sojourn on earth n went as far as accepting them in his ilk and changing them for the better. From your post, i was able to relate to your situation cos my Father in law is an atheist till date. My mother in law however isn't n despite having been married for 40 years, she still goes to church n all her kids are strong christians too. Never for one day did he stop them from practising christianity. From your post, u seem to love the guy very much, who wouldn't, the only inhibition now is the opinion of your family, pastors, friends, nairalanders, jonathan, yar'dua and in short, the whole damn world. Pleaseee, this is your life, NEVER EVER FORGET THAT! Nobody knws tomorrow, your man might still change with or without your help(God works in mysterious ways, your kids might be the one to change him) and his impeccable character(wc i hope for your sake is genuine) will eventually win the hearts of everyone, trust me, esp when the so called self acclaimed christians start misbehaving. Everyone hopes that God will send him the "perfect" man or woman tailored just for you, and when he comes along with his flaws(wc we all have), we re quick to dismiss him cos he doesn't fit the profile of what the society wants. Please, lets get real! Which is better, an atheist with a near perfect character or a believer of christ with d character of the devil? The ans is NONE! Both have major faults that we can only HOPE to CHANGE! We are afterall not PERFECT.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by GboyegaD(m): 8:36am On Apr 12, 2010
@OP,
I wil advise U follow ur mind. I believe him being an atheist who is this liberal with your being a good Christian, he may change his mind soon concerning his opinion. I will support you marry him but please keep on praying for him that God should reveal Himself to him so that he can change. God who changed Banom can also change him. Remember, by grace are we saved not by works that is why your own attempt or dat of your friends, pastors n relatives will never save him. I do not encourage others opinion of him pretending because that may even make him more hard hearted towards God since d signal it could pass across is that Christianity is a religious of pretense. My 2 kobo.

For those who claims the OP is not a true Christian
, please who are you to judge? I believe our Christianity here in Nigeria is far too religious as such, we tend to play God rather than leaving everything to God. Only him knows who is true and sincere as we have seen many so called professed Christians act in manners that are contrary to Christianity.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Shinatu: 8:44am On Apr 12, 2010
@Davidylan,

Thanks for holding up.

@Poster,
How important is your faith to you? If you were asked to rank the important things in your life, where would you put your relationship with Jesus Christ?
If it is number 1, then marrying this guy would make your life miserable on earth and maybe afterwards, but if your relationship with the Lord does not rank high then you may have a nice time on earth marrying this guy because you will be able to flow with him but say bye bye to the hope of eternal life.(well,that probably does not mean much to you)
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by larimo(m): 8:45am On Apr 12, 2010
@poster, davidylan has read my heart very well in the post below 'in bold'. I understand your feelings, but my dear they are wrongly placed.

Marriage is ordained by God. Its beyond boyfriend & girlfriend. Its beyond pleasure and happiness. It has a lot to do with purpose. You are not trusting or looking to God in this. Have you sincerely prayed to God about this? Is God leading you or you are worried about your age and loosing "Mr. So Nice"? As christians, the Bibles teaches that we MUST NOT be joined in marriage to non-christians. Its not a debate/option. Its a command. Thats the gospel truth.

That guy hates christians based on your comments. He will divide you and your family/friends. He doesnt want to hear about Jesus-related topics and you think you will still be a christian in that marriage? If you make this decision, you will be isolated. Do you prefer losing your precious soul to an unforeseen future? Please don't. Go back to God in prayer and check your heart again. God must be knocking very hard and that's why you are seeing so many roadblocks in the form of your friends and family.

Forgive me if I sound too hard but I just don't want you to make an uninformed decision that will haunt/destroy you and your seeds tomorrow.

I have no problem with atheists. Everyone, including us christians, can believe whatever we like. My Bible tells me not to be joined together with a non-christian. You can accept it or not. Its a choice.

However, for our atheist friends in the house, I have one question for us: " Would you prefer to live your life as though God exists only to find out in the end that He doesn't or would you prefer to live your life as though God does not exist only to find out in the end that He does?"

[b]"NB: I'm glad this was posted here . . . i responded to the thread in the romance section but it is more appropriate here.

There is growing trend i have been seeing with this new form of atheism . . . it is visceral in its hatred of anything christian, sometimes violent and elicits the worst kind of dislike.

For instance, i do not believe in Sango, but i dont go foaming in the mouth at the site of sango worshippers. Notice these from the OPs boyfriend . . .

He helps people at will and takes no offence whatso ever at my excesses except i over do it to a fault and instead of getting mad at me to hit me or abuse me, he just walks away for an hour or 2 and comes back as if nothing happens.

This guy must be gold . . . doesnt sound like anything upsets him but then . . .

Anytime i come back from Church and talk about my pastor or what i was taught, he gets very angry.

This looks like an "innocent" kind of anger but is it? why is this guy calm, cool and collected about EVERYTHING else but goes crazy at the mere mention of Jesus?

He doesnt like hearing anything about pastors, churches, tithes and sermons but when you get into a biblical argument with him, its as if he knows the bible inside out and the right quotes without even reading it. He is that articulate.

Satan knows the bible too, far better than the greatest preacher on earth . . . but knowing the scriptures is completely different from living it. Seems your boyfriend knows the bible verses simply as a weapon to denigrate it.

Now to the OP. . .

There was even a day some people in my fellowship came to meet him to pray and convert him and it turned into a debate and he ended up winning the argument and making us question or faith back in a total reversal of roles.

Quite clearly . . . neither YOU nor your church members understand the bible at all.

If i go ahead with my choice to stick with him, i lose my soul and my community but gain happiness because he has truely being a wonderful man so far but if i leave him for my friends, family and community i might lose my prince charming that every woman dreams of that loves me dearly.

You ma'am will only gain temporary happiness with this man. I'm sorry but no man (nor woman) is worthy of losing my soul in hell, faith in Christ and my entire family. Your "prince charming" may be ok with you going to church now but have you ever considered what happens WHEN you eventually become his wife? Would he stand the sight of you and his kids forever hoping from church to bible study, night vigils or prayer meetings? Would you have the freedom of praying in your own bedroom? What will his reaction be when he sees you reading the bible when he wants you doing something else? I think you are forgetting something very important - a marriage where the man and woman are divided on something as major as spiritual compatibility is one headed for disaster and misery for you.

When you have problems in this marriage who will you turn to? the mother, father and pastors you despised to marry your "prince charming"? You say that you are a "strong christian" but NO WHERE in your write-up did i read about you asking God if this man is truly His choice for you. You seem to be carried along by your infatuation for this man. . .

It is said that no matter how rich a young man is, he can never have as many rags as an old man. Your parents love you more than you think, you may be an adult and able to make your own decisions . . . but i'd be wary to marry someone my parents have deep reservations for.

Good luck to you"[/b]

1 Like

Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by stevemike1: 8:50am On Apr 12, 2010
Debosky,

God bless you for that adviser, i would advise the poster to consider this advise more than the others.

Good advise from an intelligent mind.

Keep it up and God would increase your wisdom from strength to strength.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by larimo(m): 8:51am On Apr 12, 2010
Be careful with some pple here misquoting the Bible or quoting out of context. Know the Bible for yourself. Seek help if you don't know precisely what the Bible says about these things or how to find the Bibles passages.

God bless
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Musiwa: 8:53am On Apr 12, 2010
Why do you people keep on saying , the young man did not say he is an  Atheist, He said he does not believe in church wedding. That does not make him an  Atheist, many white people save thier wedding money and use it to buy houses, while nigerian are not that smart enough, they end up in apartment building after wasting the money on wedding.

It is just the way we think and what we believe. Nigerian are about show off. One of the many reason, alot of nigerian men do not like nigeria churches abroad. Alot of the church member go and borrow , so that they too, look like if they have arrival. It is iranu.

I dont believe in pleasing other people and displeasing myself. I am not going to go into debt just because of a wedding or church.

I think, people have to know what they believe? I cant be push around because I know what I believe.

I remember many years ago in canada. When one brother, who claim to be pastor from england relocated to canada. And me and my friend over here , use to call him brother cheroke. Make of his car.  Less than one years of been in canada. It is testimony upon testimony. Brother cheroke , buys this today, and that tomorrow. He made those of us feel very ungodly. In one years he own what took  canadian familes to own in 20 years. He called it miracle. ( ole or stealing). It is like the more you rob, the more your testimony become.

And he was a pastor. In short to draw the long story short. Brother cheroke, was an arm robber. Who have rob them in england before coming to canada.   Canada was his escape root. By the time his victim discover where he was. Brother cheroke was eating Awa or bean in prison. It is call interpol.

Brother cheroke, use to preach in church. When he is preaching about his testimony("or  arm robbering explot"wink  You are going to feel, you are a sinner. And you need to know brother cheroke God.  because his God must have been different from Yours. People then use to clap for brother cheroke. They say go and touch brother cheroke car. Anoiting ( ole)  may flow.

I am not impress by people wealth, I dont give a shit1 how you made your money. You may be a criminal, How can a thief be better than me. We are talking of Ole , I mean barawo. Ole , So your parent are looking for Ole-in-law.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by stevemike1: 9:06am On Apr 12, 2010
You this Tudor of a guy, you were the one that insulted Oyedepo and tongue lashed christian leaders at this post "Oyedepo drove Queen of Sheba, " now you have come again.

You insult people easily, anybody that does not support your idea, you just tongue lashed the person.

Guy for Godsake you are and adult don't be insulting people as if you never had a good up-bringing.

Ha for God sake.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by adconline(m): 9:07am On Apr 12, 2010
It's a shear fallacy for Christians to assert equivocally that being a christian is a requisite criterion for being a good husband. As matter of fact, Christians have more divorce rate in the west than non Xtians. In Naija context,  less than half of Nigeria population are people of no Xtian faith, do you mean to tell me that their family institution is in shambles?   What if this guy had lied and pretended  about his faith. I know some women who became" born again'' in order to sleep with a woman not to talk of marriage.
After all said and done, in the midst of an argument, if you are still unmarried, someone in your family might tell you one day to go find your husband. Also your pastor- maybe a different one from this very one  who thinks that ur BF is evil, will be asking you to pray and tithe more for miracles to happen ie finding a husband, it maybe too late.
As per this guy getting upset about your pastor,  a lot of folks are  in that league too, cos sometimes Xtians talk and depict pastor as demigods. You have to make that distinction between pastor and God. Marriage is not rosy as we are made to believe, you should be ready to ask yourself are you willing to live in a household where divergence of religious opinions is tolerated? This is the way to go.
Run a list of what you want right now, and see in what  order does marrying a "Xtian" even if he's a monster outweigh marrying a loving and caring man who does not let religion becloud his sense of humanity. Remember it's ur husband at the end of the day. Your parents will be the first to discourage you from leaving your marriage if you married to make them feel happy, by then you will be sleeping on your own vomit.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Nobody: 9:12am On Apr 12, 2010
GboyegaD:

@OP,
I wil advise U follow your mind. I believe him being an atheist who is this liberal with your being a good Christian, he may change his mind soon concerning his opinion. I will support you marry him but please keep on praying for him that God should reveal Himself to him so that he can change. God who changed Banom can also change him. Remember, by grace are we saved not by works that is why your own attempt or dat of your friends, pastors n relatives will never save him. I do not encourage others opinion of him pretending because that may even make him more hard hearted towards God since d signal it could pass across is that Christianity is a religious of pretense. My 2 kobo.

For those who claims the OP is not a true Christian
, please who are you to judge? I believe our Christianity here in Nigeria is far too religious as such, we tend to play God rather than leaving everything to God. Only him knows who is true and sincere as we have seen many so called professed Christians act in manners that are contrary to Christianity.

Young Poster. A christian is he who professes and lives the christian life. You can be anything but being Godless is way 2 high. Even science has proved that God exists. The Big Bang theory was all about creating something out of nothing. Y do we still have doubting thomases? It is only a supernatural being that could hv made all these possible. Lest u all 4get, even a dare devil armed robber loves treats some people gud. So do hired killers, so do ritualists. That a person treats u in a particular way does not say anything bout him/her. Watch how he treats other peops. Could be his feelings 4 u r perverted sort of. All ur folks cant be wrong. They hv nutured u from birth through kindagarten to the University and then now u think all of a sudden they dont know wht's gud 4 u?

WOMEN!!!!!!
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by damola1: 9:13am On Apr 12, 2010
how many married nigerian men actually practice xtianity or even go to church
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by agitator: 9:17am On Apr 12, 2010
jagunlabi:

KAI!This thread na wa!Make una dey witness prejudice, intolerance and discrimination in the name of god and religion. It is just absolutely sickening and way too surreal for me. One day, this old ways of thinking that create all these illusions of separation amongst us will finally seize to exist. I can hardly wait for that day to come.

more like church goers than christians.  all our corrupt leaders attend one church or the other, some are muslims.  people are just comfortable with a shady character that affiliates himself to any church.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by Nobody: 9:20am On Apr 12, 2010
adconline:

It's a shear fallacy for Christians to assert equivocally that being a christian is a requisite criterion for being a good husband. As matter of fact, Christians have more divorce rate in the west than non Xtians. In Naija context,  less than half of Nigeria population are people of no Xtian faith, do you mean to tell me that their family institution is in shambles?   What if this guy had lied and pretended  about his faith. I know some women who became" born again'' in order to sleep with a woman not to talk of marriage.
After all said and done, in the midst of an argument, if you are still unmarried, someone in your family might tell you one day to go find your husband. Also your pastor- maybe a different one from this very one  who thinks that your BF is evil, will be asking you to pray and tithe more for miracles to happen ie finding a husband, it maybe too late.
As per this guy getting upset about your pastor,  a lot of folks are  in that league too, cos sometimes Xtians talk and depict pastor as demigods. You have to make that distinction between pastor and God. Marriage is not rosy as we are made to believe, you should be ready to ask yourself are you willing to live in a household where divergence of religious opinions is tolerated? This is the way to go.
Run a list of what you want right now, and see in what  order does marrying a "Xtian" even if he's a monster outweigh marrying a loving and caring man who does not let religion becloud his sense of humanity. Remember it's your husband at the end of the day. Your parents will be the first to discourage you from leaving your marriage if you married to make them feel happy, by then you will be sleeping on your own vomit.

Dont personalize the whole stuff. It's much more than Christianity or and their pastors. This guy simply doesnt believe in any form of the supernatural be it from Islam,Buddhist,Eck, etc. Even those who belong to the Church Of Satan believe in a god. The whole issue is about being Godless cuz a Godless person is his own GOD. dt is d point y'all fail to understand. And those who take this path r the most dangerous beings alive on planet earth.

P.S B4 U RUN UR BIG MOUTH, A CHRISTIAN IS NOT JUST A CHURCH GOER, NOR IS HE JUST A BORN AGAIN. HE IS SOMEONE WHO LIVES THE LIFE.U can tell by just looking at the way he lives.
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by joel123(m): 9:52am On Apr 12, 2010
I still don't understand How a christian will be thinking of getting married to someone who does not want to hear about God. "I sense danger" shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by illusion2: 10:01am On Apr 12, 2010
In Africa(I assume you are african),family's important when it comes to wedding/marriage.

As long as he promises not to force you to give up you beliefs & he guarantees you children will be allowed to go with you to church. . .
Re: My Boyfriend Is An Atheist. I Love Him But My Family And Friends Hate Him. Help by denny4ril: 10:09am On Apr 12, 2010
wink hmmn! na wa oo. this love thing sha!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Is Celebrating Christmas Wrong ? / About The High Rate Of Extramarital Sexual Affairs Today / This Is Why A Church Usher Must Stop Stealing From Offering Box.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.