Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,961 members, 7,814,252 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:54 AM

My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept (2519 Views)

Nigeria Rated 9th Country With Strong Religious Views / Question For My Religious Folks. / Atheists In The House, What Are Your Views On Abortion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by Gabry(f): 2:27am On Apr 12, 2010
My father is a born Catholic and my mother is a Buddhist. When I was born, my mother converted into Catholic and brought me to church and send me to Sunday School every weekend.

I have a group of really best friends while I was growing up. Melanie is an Anglican, Tan is a Buddhist, Pratha is Hindu, Bibi is Muslim and Tracy is an Atheist. We got along fine despite our difference in religion. I remember those days where I use to follow them to church, to the temples, to the Mosque and so forth.

And than suddenly my sister introduces me to Paganism. I didnt really converted myself but I was just curious to find out what was the realigion about. Than I come to discover my grandmother is also into Paganism so it thrilled me more to follow it but I still go to church and mosque and temple and so on. lol grin I did whatever they do, Blessing, Cursing. My sister than school in the UK and she always sends me ingredients for Paganism like Devils EYe and Cats WHiskers and stuff like that. It was funny though. . . cheesy tongue

Than after that I met this boy Paul in my school and he is a Satan Worshipper. I ask him what was it about and he took me to his Worhsip spot. I find it amazing on how different people have different beliefs and it seriously amazes me. They always say Satan is bad and all but this guy doesnt show any signs of it . . . Infact, he was very normal compare to some other people undecided

Than I realize that it all comes down to different individuals and the way they were nurture and raise in their own family.

Now that Im older, I engage myself in the Catholic faith alot becasue its what I grew up with and its what my parents taught me about from young and alsp because my bf is a Strong Catholic. But I still go and visit the temple to pay respect to my late grandfather and also to pay respect to my best friend's late father. I go to the Mosque because my step sisters are Muslims. But the problem is people tend to mock me and they tend to misunderstood me many times. They think that Im insane and a little off in the head. The thing with me is that I dont have any sides to these klnda things.

Are u able to accept me?
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by bawomolo(m): 3:07am On Apr 12, 2010
Now that Im older, I engage myself in the Catholic faith alot becasue its what I grew up with and its what my parents taught me about from young and alsp because my bf is a Strong Catholic

so you practice catholic to please people (bf and family) and not because you belief in the catholic faith?
that isn't so enlightening.  no diss but i think you are either confused or trying hard not to upset people.

you can't please everyone.
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by jagunlabi(m): 7:10am On Apr 12, 2010
bawomolo:

so you practice catholic to please people (bf and family) and not because you belief in the catholic faith?
that isn't so enlightening.  no diss but i think you are either confused or trying hard not to upset people.

Or maybe she just has a very tolerant nature towards all these worldly beliefs.Or maybe she does not take all these different beliefs too seriously like other folks do. Or maybe she has come to realise that it is not what religious beliefs one has that count, but what and how one is being every moment of one's life. Maybe she has come to realise that it is behaviour, who and what one is, that counts and not in which religion or sect or cult one belongs. Maybe. . .
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by Gabry(f): 1:17pm On Apr 12, 2010
bawomolo:

Nahhh. Wrong. The reason why I am staying to the catholic faith its because Im a very very strong worshipper of Mother Mary. Without her, life is maningless to me. without her, Jesus wont be born on earth. Without her, there is nothing else to look up to in a woman as a role model.

And the reason why I accept other religion as the way it is its because of my surroundings. The people I befriend and mix with. Not to say because I follow them to the temple or Mosque or anywhere and follow what they do that Im worshipping their religion or following their religion. Just that I dont see anything wrong with it provided it does not cause any harm to other individuals.

Thats why I say not many people can accept me for the way I am.

My bf doesnt really like it as well but he has to tolerate crtain things and I have to tolerate certain things for his sake. Its a matter of give and take.

jagunlabi:

Or maybe she just has a very tolerant nature towards all these worldly beliefs.Or maybe she does not take all these different beliefs too seriously like other folks do. Or maybe she has come to realise that it is not what religious beliefs one has that count, but what and how one is being every moment of one's life. Maybe she has come to realise that it is behaviour, who and what one is, that counts and not in which religion or sect or cult one belongs. Maybe. . .

OMG! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked ive never met anyone whom could explain it far way better than what Ive been trying to explain to people whom mocked me. You are very right. All of what you have stated is exactly what is on my mind. And to me, I always believe that theres one God and one Satan. And hat one God is the one that created all of us. having different religions and beliefs is a blessing in disguise the same thing as having different people with different colour skin and different races and backgrounds is a blessing in disguise. The world will come to peace and harmony when everyone single people on this earth actually could accept one another. wink
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by bawomolo(m): 3:52pm On Apr 12, 2010
And to me, I always believe that theres one God and one Satan.

why do you believe in one God? why can't there be many Gods like say ifa, sango, zeus etc? it seems you are still caged by your catholic upbringing.

i'd like to believe jagunlabi's post but i have my doubt.s.

The reason why I am staying to the catholic faith its because Im a very very strong worshipper of Mother Mary. Without her, life is maningless to me. without her, Jesus wont be born on earth.

i thought catholics honor mary and do not worship her? oh boy, i'm confused here.

The world will come to peace and harmony when everyone single people on this earth actually could accept one another.

that's cool. cool
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by streetwize(m): 5:23pm On Apr 12, 2010
Gabry, I believe xtianity is truth. . . but don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean I'm intolerant to other religions or anything
Let me try to illustrate

2 + 2 = 4

now if someone comes up to me and says he believes that 2 + 2 = 5, I wont jump up and cry out ur a retard. . . cuz he probably really doesn't know, all Ill try to do is help him understand that 2 + 2 = 4 and why. . .

I believe u've been searching and have come to your conclusions based on the fact that u cant wrap your head around an answer so U just conclude that 2 + 2 must equal everything and nothing. . .

Please don't give up. . . search, there is truth, there is an answer(personally I believe its Jesus). . . but it still remains that 2 + 2 equals something specific, everything cannot be right. .

Its like when astronomy and cosmology and all that were searching for the orientation of planets and the sun, the fact that they did not all agree, did not mean that the sun and planets had ALL orientations, or No orientation at all, It just meant they head to search a lil more to find the true ORIENTATION. .
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by Nobody: 5:31pm On Apr 12, 2010
jagunlabi:

Or maybe she just has a very tolerant nature towards all these worldly beliefs.[/b]Or maybe she does not take all these different beliefs too seriously like other folks do. Or maybe she has come to realise that it is not what religious beliefs one has that count, but what and how one is [b]being every moment of one's life. Maybe she has come to realise that it is behaviour, who and what one is, that counts and not in which religion or sect or cult one belongs. Maybe. . .

the idea that Gabry's serious spiritual confusion is an example of having a "tolerant nature" is absurd. So what if i kept going from girl to girl with no purpose . . . would you also hail me as having a "tolerant nature" towards women and sex?
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by jagunlabi(m): 5:35pm On Apr 12, 2010
streetwize:

Gabry, I believe xtianity is truth. . . but don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean I'm intolerant to other religions or anything
Let me try to illustrate

2 + 2 = 4

now if someone comes up to me and says he believes that 2 + 2 = 5, I wont jump up and cry out your a retard. . . cuz he probably really doesn't know, all Ill try to do is help him understand that 2 + 2 = 4 and why. . .

I believe u've been searching and have come to your conclusions based on the fact that u cant wrap your head around an answer so U just conclude that 2 + 2 must equal everything and nothing. . .

Please don't give up. . . search, there is truth, there is an answer(personally I believe its Jesus). . . but it still remains that 2 + 2 equals something specific, everything cannot be right. .

Its like when astronomy and cosmology and all that were searching for the orientation of planets and the sun, the fact that they did not all agree, did not mean that the sun and planets had ALL orientations, or No orientation at all, It just meant they head to search a lil more to find the true ORIENTATION. .
And, according to you, that 2+2=4 is  . . . christianity? Why not islam or hinduism or judaism, or any other religious ideology?

To a muslim, 2+2=5 would be christianity or hinduism or buddhism or taoism or judaism. In other words, all religious ideologies, no matter in what cloak they are wrapped in, are all 2+2=5. It all depends on from whose perspective is the equation viewed. Catch my drift?
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by jagunlabi(m): 5:37pm On Apr 12, 2010
davidylan:

the idea that Gabry's serious spiritual confusion is an example of having a "tolerant nature" is absurd. So what if i kept going from girl to girl with no purpose . . . would you also hail me as having a "tolerant nature" towards women and intimacy?
David, quit being an idiot. Being tolerant has nothing to do with being sexually loose or amorous, atleast not in this thread.
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by benodic: 10:34pm On Apr 12, 2010
@gabry
thank God for you. it is people like you that i have been looking for in NL. i was nearly giving up. it is people like you i want to be friends with and associate with. people with open minds and tolerant hearts. please keep up with what you are doing and keep on giving everyone love irrespective of their religion or colour.
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by streetwize(m): 10:43pm On Apr 12, 2010
jagunlabi:

And, according to you, that 2+2=4 is  . . . christianity? Why not islam or hinduism or judaism, or any other religious ideology?

To a muslim, 2+2=5 would be christianity or hinduism or buddhism or taoism or judaism. In other words, all religious ideologies, no matter in what cloak they are wrapped in, are all 2+2=5. It all depends on from whose perspective is the equation viewed. Catch my drift?

my point is that 2 + 2 has a definite answer. I have not labelled this answer, which is what I was trying not to do in order not to derail this thread. And yes I do think my answer is right and others think theirs is right too, just as som1 who thinks 2+2 = 5 is right. my point is that because people are fighting over what really is the answer does not mean that they are all correct. There is an answer!! and som1 is right. whether you would like to believe thats me is a different matter all together and a matter for another thread.

lets say for the purpose of this argument the muslim is correct and he said that 2 + 2 = 4, and I said 2 + 2 = 5, it means I was WRONG!!!. . . there is a truth that 2 + 2 = 4.
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by karo93: 12:55am On Apr 13, 2010
nice sitting at the cross road gabry but in Hinduism you worship other gods and godesses like fertility etc so how do you reconcile that with Yahweh and Allah who permit you to have no other god but them?Yahweh is a jealous God.then you are definitely wasting your time with christiaity and islam.

i take it you believe all roads lead to God and at the same time that you have no strong conviction for following any religion. you only practice religion because you feel it is fun and while i wont criticize you i hope that you find the right way to God for i fear that you may be wasting your time.
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by karo93: 1:06am On Apr 13, 2010
Gabry
1.you are not a christian because jesus said no one comes to the father except by him so you would not try other ways if you followed his teaching.

2.what actually is your religious belief for to me you seem to have none[for instance christians believe that jesus came to die for their sins]

3.Do you worship God or do you find religion as a play thing to laugh and enjoy while it goes on?

you should know better than to worship mary just as much as i wont worship elijah though he performed extraordinary miracles and never died.he could be my role model too.
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by Nobody: 1:12am On Apr 13, 2010
jagunlabi:

David, quit being an idiot. Being tolerant has nothing to do with being sexually loose or amorous, atleast not in this thread.

Its the same thing dude . . . it just sounds bad but it is. Why shld you consider me sexually amoral. I'm just being tolerant of women thats all.
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by Gabry(f): 2:12am On Apr 13, 2010
bawomolo:

why do you believe in one God? why can't there be many Gods like say ifa, sango, zeus etc?  it seems you are still caged by your catholic upbringing. 

To be honest with you, before the priest in my church tells me that we have to believe in One God, I have already believe in that. The reason for believing that there is only one God is because:-

1) if you notice each and every religion, there happen to be white people, black people, brown people, pink people, yellow people and so on. Well, take example the Muslim faith. You can see a yellow worshipping that religion, you can see a black worshipping that religion, you can see a white worshipping that religion. . . I believe that God created all of us all. If each religion have different Gods, I dont think the Gods would create people of different colour to worship His/Her religion.

2) If people believe and understood in only One God, the world would be a better place. Because people think that we all come from One God, they shouldnt be any fights, any comparison, any war, any discrimination. Dont you think so? Imagine if I think that there are different Gods, I wouldnt have this mentality from the start.

bawomolo:

i thought catholics honor mary and do not worship her? oh boy, i'm confused here.

Yeah sure, Catholics honor Mother Mary but not me. The reason is that I have encountered her being by my side when I fell into the pit and thought I was going to die but I survive. When I say the Rosary and shut my eyes, my world was at peace and I could feel an inner strenght and energy inside me. I wasnt scared of anything that time. It was like a powerful positive energy and that time, alot of things happen and I was given the power to fight it. Well, I dont think its appropriate to explain further as this is a public forum and I dont wanna kill u with shock lol  grin tongue And above it all, she was the Mother of Jesus Christ.

streetwize:

Let me try to illustrate

2 + 2 = 4

now if someone comes up to me and says he believes that 2 + 2 = 5, I wont jump up and cry out your a retard. . . cuz he probably really doesn't know, all Ill try to do is help him understand that 2 + 2 = 4 and why. . .

This is what I dont like. Just because you were raise as a Chirtian does not give you the right to judge others while claiming your religion is the truth. Most of the religion  is good. Please come to realize that most of the religions does not encourage people to steal, to kill and do bad things.  The way you put it is as if the Christian religion is the only religion which allows the followers to earn a free ticket to heaven and not the others. This is very wrong and I dont think its right of what you have just said. I know somewhere in the Bible God says, "Do Not Judge My People" and "Love Your Neighbours as You Love Yourself". Well, God's people is inclusive of you, me and people from other religion and your neighbours is including me, you and other people from other religion cause you come across different people every single day and that is your neighbour. I beg thee not to self proclaim and judge  sad

I come to discover that people fail to realize that they tend to judge and mock people whom they dont really know. They tend to mock and judge people whom they dont understand. The tend to mock and judge people whom they heard gossips about from other people.

Example, last week, I attended a seminar concerning towards Employee Motivation and than I sat next to this person called Abdul. Anyways, the whole day I was annoyed with him cause he kept asking for my phone number and I dont like giving people my phone number as I dont do chit chat on phone if its not serious business. Than all of the sudden he ask me what religion I come from. So I answered him, Catholic. And than he pause for awhile and said, Hmmm. . . U should try considering changing your religion because I heard from my aunty that the Catholic Faith drink goats urine during their prayers.  shocked  shocked  shocked

^^^ I mean imagine! Since when we drink urine? Seriously, people can just come out with some crap and tell other people and that other people can just believe in it. Its kinda hillarious though. . . . .  grin embarassed lipsrsealed

davidylan:

the idea that Gabry's serious spiritual confusion is an example of having a "tolerant nature" is absurd. So what if i kept going from girl to girl with no purpose . . . would you also hail me as having a "tolerant nature" towards women and intimacy?

jagunlabi:

Are u guys talking about having S*xx with multiple people or what?  undecided embarassed lipsrsealed

benodic:

@gabry
thank God for you. it is people like you that i have been looking for in NL. i was nearly giving up. it is people like you i want to be friends with and associate with. people with open minds and tolerant hearts. please keep up with what you are doing and keep on giving everyone love irrespective of their religion or colour.

I thank God say at least some people understood me. wink Thank u naaa. U are a blessing  kiss

karo93:

nice sitting at the cross road gabry but in Hinduism you worship other gods and godesses like fertility etc so how do you reconcile that with Yahweh and Allah who permit you to have no other god but them?Yahweh is a jealous God.then you are definitely wasting your time with christiaity and islam.

i take it you believe all roads lead to God and at the same time that you have no strong conviction for following any religion. you only practice religion because you feel it is fun and while i wont criticize you i hope that you find the right way to God for i fear that you may be wasting your time.

Ok, I have just spoken to someone whom told me about this a few weeks ago. Well, you misunderstood the Hindu and Buddhist religion. You see, the Hindus and Buddhist does not have multiple God's although they call them Gods. They have one God above all. Its in their scriptures. And when you see all those elephant God and Guan Yin and Buddha and Happy God and Monkey God and so on, they are not really God's. They are called Prophets.

Just like Christianity and Muslim, they have one God above all but the rest are followers / prophets. The reason why you hear that the Hindu's and Buddhist call them  God its because of the language itself. My hindu friend and Buddhist friend explained to me that when they call all of those prophets in their language, it means God/Prophet but they are actually called Prophet.

If you dig deeper into research, you will come to realize that each of their prophet / God has a specific job task. Example, the Land God of Buddism. The Land God is a compulsory to be put below the altar of every family whom is a Buddhist and have one or more of their family pass away. This God protects the Land and the soil and nothing else. So who takes care of every other thing like the trees and people's well being and the children and all. . . There are many other Gods/Prophets/followers to do so but above all of them, there is one God the Great Almighty. That is why you see the Hindu's and Buddhist have many Gods.

karo93:

Gabry
1.you are not a christian because jesus said no one comes to the father except by him so you would not try other ways if you followed his teaching.

2.what actually is your religious belief for to me you seem to have none[for instance christians believe that jesus came to die for their sins]

3.Do you worship God or do you find religion as a play thing to laugh and enjoy while it goes on?

1. Yes and the Father alone created all of us humans whether if we are black, white, blind, born with 2 heads and etc. . . U see, one thing I disagree about my church is that they kick out those whom are gay and lesbian. The people said God created Adam and Eve and not Adam and Azo but did God ever created a blind man or a man with lepracy? Its surprising that when people know a guy whom happen to be a murderer or a raper, they would say come my child to the house of God and ask for his forgiveness but when a Gay man enteres the church, everyone will not sit beside him and everyone will mock the hell out of him. Funny really. . .  undecided

2. I am a Catholic by birth and I take all their teachings with respect but certain things are not acceptable to me like the example I gave you in No. 1which is the cause of human's obviously and not the Religion. Doesnt mean that Im confuse about who Im worshipping or who I pray for. . Like I said, theres only One God so learn the good things and leave the bad things and improve yourself. Why all the fuss    undecided  Its all the matter of acceptance of others just like how people accept other cultures and races. Imagine if we dont start accepting, guess there will be another World War.  undecided

3. I worship God but seems to me that you are vexing over God knows what.  undecided Why fuss over someone whom could accept all kinds of religion? Is it that bad?   undecided

karo93:

you should know better than to worship mary just as much as i wont worship elijah though he performed extraordinary miracles and never died.he could be my role model too.

You have just proven my point of what I said earlier that  "people fail to realize that they tend to judge and mock people whom they dont really know. They tend to mock and judge people whom they dont understand. The tend to mock and judge people whom they heard gossips about from other people."

Have you ever even thought that I have my reasons for worshipping Jesus Christ's mother? U know, to the Catholic faith, its not wrong to look up to Mother Mary. But yeah, have you ever thought of why do I act as such?

They are reasons to why some people became a Gold Digger and they are reasons to why people take drugs or why people end up Bulimic. . . Like I say Dont Judge and now you are judging.
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by streetwize(m): 2:33am On Apr 13, 2010
Gabry. . . please tell me wher in my post I imposed un u that christainity is the truth. . . I merely told u that there is a truth, and I believe it is christainity, what ever u choose to belive it is is ur cup of tea
not that u'll run around proclaiming that everything is the truth. . what kind of stupid logic is that. . .

My point is that there is a truth, and trying to shy away from it by saying that everything, even contradictory religions are all true is just plain ignorant.
Its like me saying that since I do not know the colour of the cloth ur wearing right now, then it is both black, white, yellow , green, indigo, violet, red, blue, gray . . . and whatever other colours there are
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by Gabry(f): 2:49am On Apr 13, 2010
streetwize:

Gabry. . . please tell me wher in my post I imposed un u that christainity is the truth. . . I merely told u that there is a truth, and I believe it is christainity, what ever u choose to belive it is is your cup of tea
not that u'll run around proclaiming that everything is the truth.  . what kind of silly logic is that. . .

My point is that there is a truth, and trying to shy away from it by saying that everything, even contradictory religions are all true is just plain ignorant.
Its like me saying that since I do not know the colour of the cloth your wearing right now, then it is both black, white, yellow , green, indigo, violet, red, blue, gray . . . and whatever other colours there are

The one in Red is what I meant. You dont just believe its just Christianity now. Ok now tell me, if you think Christianity is the truth, what do you think about other religions? Are they also the truth like Christianity?

Ok since you wanted to put it that way, lets say you are African and you think the Africans arethe truth. Does that mean the other races and cultures are not the truth and that they are a fraud?  undecided And did I mention that Im shying away from my own religion? If I was embarrass of my own religion, I wouldnt even mention Mother Mary and Jesus Christ and God and worst of all, I would not even mention that I am a Catholic.
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by streetwize(m): 3:24am On Apr 13, 2010
?? oh so ur now sayin tha
Gabry:

The one in Red is what I meant. You dont just believe its just Christianity now. Ok now tell me, if you think Christianity is the truth, what do you think about other religions? Are they also the truth like Christianity?

Ok since you wanted to put it that way, lets say you are African and you think the Africans arethe truth. Does that mean the other races and cultures are not the truth and that they are a fraud?  undecided And did I mention that Im shying away from my own religion? If I was embarrass of my own religion, I wouldnt even mention Mother Mary and Jesus Christ and God and worst of all, I would not even mention that I am a Catholic.

what do you mean i feel africans are the truth(in what sense does this statement come into play. what is the question. what are we even talking about here). . this doesnt even make sense. . . ur analogy is plain silly. .

or should I align it in steps so u can easily understand

there is a God.(Im assuming that you believe this)

different people giv contradictory accounts of him

one must be true . . . which is it??

now Gabri answer me this. If 2+2 = 4 then what do u think about the statement 2+2 = 5
As I have said b4, I believ xtainity is the truth and in fact unlike any other christain would have done I did not even admonish u to do the same. .
however if u want to provoke this argument, I warn you that I am even itching to get into it with you. . .

My point from the very beginning has been very simple, which of these accounts of God is true
Let me guess ur answer. . all . . . even when one account tells that the other is wrong?. . your stance is plain contradictory

I will also reiterate that I do not discriminate amongst other religions, I have friends that hav difft religious backgrounds, but I will never be Ignorant enough to say that they are all right. Som1 is right. . . and you better get your head around that.
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by Gabry(f): 3:31am On Apr 13, 2010
streetwize:

?? oh so your now sayin tha
what do you mean i feel africans are the truth(in what sense does this statement come into play. what is the question. what are we even talking about here). . this doesnt even make sense. . . your analogy is plain silly. .

or should I align it in steps so u can easily understand

there is a God.(Im assuming that you believe this)

different people giv contradictory accounts of him

one must be true . . . which is it??

now Gabri answer me this. If 2+2 = 4 then what do u think about the statement 2+2 = 5
As I have said b4, I believ xtainity is the truth and in fact unlike any other christain would have done I did not even admonish u to do the same. .
however if u want to provoke this argument, I warn you that I am even itching to get into it with you. . .

My point from the very beginning has been very simple, which of these accounts of God is true
Let me guess your answer. .  all . . . even when one account tells that the other is wrong?. .  your stance is plain contradictory

I will also reiterate that I do not discriminate amongst other religions, I have friends that hav difft religious backgrounds, but I will never be Ignorant enough to say that they are all right. Som1 is right. . . and you better get your head around that.

Im giving you a statement about Africans and other races its because you are giving me a talk on colours of a cloth which also has nothing to do with my topic. How can you ask someone on which of these accounts of God is true? Who knows what is true? If I know what is the real truth, I would be God by now. That is the reason why we have so many religions today. I admire you for looking up solely on Christianity and seeing the truth in it but all Im saying is that its not right for you to only think that Christianity is the truth. If it is, everyone would be a Christian by now. Im also not saying that Christianity is wrong as well.

The only time I can know what is the truth is when God comes down and show me whats the truth. Other than that, whatever is good for myself, I would take it in like a good knowledge.

To be honest with you, I dont know what are you trying to prove with this your equation but like what jagunlabi said earlier:-

jagunlabi:

@ streetwize, How are u sure that Christian is 2 + 2 = 4? How sure can u be?
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by InesQor(m): 3:47am On Apr 13, 2010
@Gabry:  grin Oh, dear Gabry, long time! I thought you said you'd never discuss this on Nairaland  grin grin

Okay let me try to clarify what streetwize is saying, as I understand it. A die is cast, and there are 6 men who claim to know the number the die is showing. It's either 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6. Streetwize is sure that it must be 4. karo93 thinks its 5. Abuzola thinks its 2. But definitely Gabry cannot say that it's all of the numbers 1 to 6 at once! Somebody MUST be right.

Streetwize is not saying that he is correct (although he believes he is correct), he is only saying SOMEONE is correct. Maybe it's the Muslims, maybe it's the Christians, Maybe its the Zoroastrians. Somebody is correct. They can't ALL be correct because their pre-requisities are different, their concepts of God are different, etc.

E.g. You mentioned a Satanist, and at the same time Catholics. They can't definitely both be right!!! shocked shocked shocked

We can't really relate it to human beings and races, I think, because behind every skin color, we still have the exact same organs and the same blood. Even the same skin types. It's not so with religion.

I hope you now get my friend streetwize's point, Gabry?
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by streetwize(m): 4:10am On Apr 13, 2010
Gabry:

Im giving you a statement about Africans and other races its because you are giving me a talk on colours of a cloth which also has nothing to do with my topic. How can you ask someone on which of these accounts of God is true? Who knows what is true? If I know what is the real truth, I would be God by now. That is the reason why we have so many religions today. I admire you for looking up solely on Christianity and seeing the truth in it but all Im saying is that its not right for you to only think that Christianity is the truth. If it is, everyone would be a Christian by now. Im also not saying that Christianity is wrong as well.

The only time I can know what is the truth is when God comes down and show me whats the truth. Other than that, whatever is good for myself, I would take it in like a good knowledge.

To be honest with you, I dont know what are you trying to prove with this your equation but like what jagunlabi said earlier:-

@ streetwize, How are u sure that Christian is 2 + 2 = 4? How sure can u be?

oh lord . . . that was an analogy: an example to show you how u are thinking.
The analogy was that: a)the cloth you are wearing has a particular colour
                                    b)I do not know the colour of cloth you are wearing
                                    c) because I am not sure of the colour, should I now say that the colour of ur cloth is all colours??

It is the same as           a) there is a God
                                     b) you do not know which religion gives the right account of him
                                     c) because you are not sure, should you now say that all religions are correct (even when some religions expressly say that the others are wrog leading to a contradiction)

And how many times do you want me to repeat my self this girl. . .
I have faith that christainity is 2+2 = 4

anyone else on this thread should forgive me for goin into this bcuz as u have read I have been trying to prevent it fro happening
but Gabry has forcefully pushed me to it.

Gabry assuming you haven't been to Australia. do you know that Australia exists?? no bcuz knowledge comes from direct testimony to an event or fact, all you can do is believe that the testimony of those who tell you that Australia exists is true, or that the television isn't showing you a computer generated image and so on and so forth. . . you build your belief that there is an Australia due to evidence gathered that may substantiate the claim

Same as with christainity
Evidence not proof is the key: For askin me to prove or disprove my God's existence is like asking harry potter to prove or disprove the existence of JK Rowlings.
Evidence on the other hand is readily available. Evidence is divided into 2 parts: Personal and Logical
I will present 1 or 2 logical points
Firstly the bible: The most consistent text, written by a host of scholars, disciples, prophets who lived in so many different eras and yet contains no major discrepancies, which means that these men managed to give the same account of God.
You can see the bible as many different texts which give the same account of God!!! what could be more convincing

Prophecies: The biblical prophecies given in the texts by Isaiah and Jeremiah and other prophets of the bible which came to pass point to a divine source of information. I will advise you to get on google and read the prophecies of the bible, how they came to pass etc etc, they are numerous.

Evidence for the existence of Jesus christ and his workings as portrayed by the new testament is abundant. .

Even evidence from non-biblical sources about Jesus of nazareth, I would try to get you the link later, but I read about a historian that worked on i think a high ranking soldier or emperor that lived in the times of christ and his storie justify Jesus of Nazareth, his work and the fact that he was extremely great. . .

Even numerous scientific facts are pre-exposed in the word of God. Hosea or som1 prophesied the coming of cars!! etc etc etc this is all avidence evidence evidence, that the bible is. .  truth and the word of God. . . no other religious text can even begin to compare to it. .  I suggest you study articles about authentication of the bible.

Also its impact on civilization, mainly the fact that morality is mostly dictated by its laws and admonishments. .  come on
The bible's test of time, how many years and its still one of the best selling books in the world. mehn If any of the religious texts were supernatural wont the obvious choice be this one

Anyway
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by streetwize(m): 4:13am On Apr 13, 2010
ahh thank you Inesqor, I would have gone on. . . but hope Gabry can understand what I was trying to say prior to my sermon when she reads ur post

Lol I still have a lot to say. . .
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by Gabry(f): 6:05am On Apr 13, 2010
InesQor:

@Gabry:  grin Oh, dear Gabry, long time! I thought you said you'd never discuss this on Nairaland  grin grin

Okay let me try to clarify what streetwize is saying, as I understand it. A die is cast, and there are 6 men who claim to know the number the die is showing. It's either 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6. Streetwize is sure that it must be 4. karo93 thinks its 5. Abuzola thinks its 2. But definitely Gabry cannot say that it's all of the numbers 1 to 6 at once! Somebody MUST be right.

Streetwize is not saying that he is correct (although he believes he is correct), he is only saying SOMEONE is correct. Maybe it's the Muslims, maybe it's the Christians, Maybe its the Zoroastrians. Somebody is correct. They can't ALL be correct because their pre-requisities are different, their concepts of God are different, etc.

E.g. You mentioned a Satanist, and at the same time Catholics. They can't definitely both be right!!!  shocked shocked shocked

We can't really relate it to human beings and races, I think, because behind every skin color, we still have the exact same organs and the same blood. Even the same skin types. It's not so with religion.

I hope you now get my friend streetwize's point, Gabry?

I get his point but you both are missing my point here. I did not say that all religions are right and wrong either.

1) I was commenting on the part where he says that he sees Christianity as the Truth and that Christianity is 2+2=4 while the rest is 2+2=5. Please do not misunderstood me. Im just pointing out that this is not correct because this is in a form of judging.

2) Are you trying to say that among all the religions, there is one right and the rest are wrong? Pleaseee. . . I am only human and who am I to judge which religion is right and which is wrong? Thats what Im trying to say. The reason why there are wars and discrimination on earth its because people tend to judge and compare on which religion is better.

3) I am a Catholic and I pray to the Catholic but I dont think its wrong to get to understand and know of other religion or simple, a basic respect for other religion is not that bad after all.

4) I did not say Satanism is good nor have I stated it is bad cause I mentioned earlier that who am I to judge when I dont know what is really going on within a society. I only mentioned that my friend whom worships Satan seem to have a good character compare to many other people I know. Thats it. There is no where in that context did I mention that Satanism is good or bad.

5) Someone has to be correct? Like how can you say that? I dont agree. lets say we have all identified that the Muslim is the Correct religion <<< EXAMPLE! and all the other religion is wrong. Does it mean that in the Chirstian faith when the church teaches us not to steal, not to kill, not to commit adultery is wrong? That is why I disagree with what he have to say because in every religion, theres no such thing as a 100% pure truth. Every religion has its goods and bads. Theres no such thing as a single religion which is the truth and the ONLY good one.

streetwize:

oh lord . . . that was an analogy: an example to show you how u are thinking.
The analogy was that: a)the cloth you are wearing has a particular colour
                                    b)I do not know the colour of cloth you are wearing
                                    c) because I am not sure of the colour, should I now say that the colour of your cloth is all colours??

It is the same as           a) there is a God
                                     b) you do not know which religion gives the right account of him
                                     c) because you are not sure, should you now say that all religions are correct (even when some religions expressly say that the others are wrog leading to a contradiction)

And how many times do you want me to repeat my self this girl. . .
I have faith that christainity is 2+2 = 4

anyone else on this thread should forgive me for goin into this bcuz as u have read I have been trying to prevent it fro happening
but Gabry has forcefully pushed me to it.

Gabry assuming you haven't been to Australia. do you know that Australia exists?? no bcuz knowledge comes from direct testimony to an event or fact, all you can do is believe that the testimony of those who tell you that Australia exists is true, or that the television isn't showing you a computer generated image and so on and so forth. . . you build your belief that there is an Australia due to evidence gathered that may substantiate the claim

Same as with christainity
Evidence not proof is the key: For askin me to prove or disprove my God's existence is like asking harry potter to prove or disprove the existence of JK Rowlings.
Evidence on the other hand is readily available. Evidence is divided into 2 parts: Personal and Logical
I will present 1 or 2 logical points
Firstly the bible: The most consistent text, written by a host of scholars, disciples, prophets who lived in so many different eras and yet contains no major discrepancies, which means that these men managed to give the same account of God.
You can see the bible as many different texts which give the same account of God!!! what could be more convincing

Prophecies: The biblical prophecies given in the texts by Isaiah and Jeremiah and other prophets of the bible which came to pass point to a divine source of information. I will advise you to get on google and read the prophecies of the bible, how they came to pass etc etc, they are numerous.

Evidence for the existence of Jesus christ and his workings as portrayed by the new testament is abundant. .

Even evidence from non-biblical sources about Jesus of nazareth, I would try to get you the link later, but I read about a historian that worked on i think a high ranking soldier or emperor that lived in the times of christ and his storie justify Jesus of Nazareth, his work and the fact that he was extremely great. . .

Even numerous scientific facts are pre-exposed in the word of God. Hosea or som1 prophesied the coming of cars!! etc etc etc this is all avidence evidence evidence, that the bible is. .  truth and the word of God. . . no other religious text can even begin to compare to it. .  I suggest you study articles about authentication of the bible.

Also its impact on civilization, mainly the fact that morality is mostly dictated by its laws and admonishments. .  come on
The bible's test of time, how many years and its still one of the best selling books in the world. mehn If any of the religious texts were supernatural wont the obvious choice be this one

Anyway

U dont seem to read carefully do you?  undecided

Anyways, I was telling you about the comparison of Africans and all that is an analogy as well but you dont seem to catch my drift.

Yes, lets cut it short, You treat Christinaity as 2+2=4 and the rest are fake. Okay. U happy now? undecided

As for me, I dont judge so I cannot say who is 2+2=4. God clearly said, DO NOT JUDGE and here you are judging but its aight by me. Like I said earlier, Not many people can accept my Religious Views and that untill one day everyone comes to terms that they should be humble and respect one another, the world would be a better place to live in.

I just pray you dont end up like Adolf Hitler and Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein whom seem to think that only their beliefs is a 2+2=4 and the rest are rubbish. Why do you think the war and slavery existed? Because people think like this.

I did not ask you to prove anything about your God. Im just asking you whether if you think that only your religion is the truth and the rest are fake? Thats all. Again, you are not reading my question.

Whatever link you pocess to show about Christianity, I get it. Its there but you failed to realize that other religions also have their own sources.

All Im trying to tell you is that you shouldnt be so ignorant to only think that your religion is the only religion which is the truth and you should respect other religion cause other people whom worships other religion also see the truth in their own religion. Thats all Im saying. Is it so hard for you to understand?  undecided

1) I didnt say all religion are good. I said Most of the religions at least teaches us to be good (not steal, not kill and etc).

2) I did not say that Jesus was not worthy of doing great things nor have I judge on him and because of that Im also telling you not to judge of others because other religions also have their own prophet or followers whom have done great things on this earth. Its not all about your religion only. Thats what Im trying to say.
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by Gabry(f): 6:09am On Apr 13, 2010
InesQor,

How far? So now u become Olympic Religion preacher abi? Good for u naa. I go send my future kids to you for Sunday school LOL!  grin  tongue
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by Sissy3(f): 6:38am On Apr 13, 2010
Yeah sure, Catholics honor Mother Mary but not me.

Gabby thats very WRONG.  you cant WORSHIP her. shes not God. no matter how much you love her, you only HONOR not WORSHIP her. you are definitely going against the catholic teachings and the bible. i'm sure she wouldnt want you to worship her too. oya go get you CCC and start reading tongue
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by jagunlabi(m): 6:42am On Apr 13, 2010
It is once said by a wise man that the "truth" is like a gigantic mirror smashed on the ground into hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of pieces. Each person comes along and pick one single piece from the multitude of pieces of this mirror, calls it "THE ONLY TRUTH", and build a whole religion or philosophy around that single piece grin. And not only that, as more people come along and pick one piece each, they all declare they have the only truth and then they inexplicably start battling each other for supremacy over who has the real truth, the whole mirror, not knowing that what each of them have in their possession is only a piece of the broken mirror each. They shout, curse, judge, maim, kill and destroy each other over who owns the only truth when they are all holding only parts of the whole mirror, the whole truth. Is that not madness borne of ignorance? Is that not insanity in it's most extreme form? You will find such madness going on here on nairaland religion forum. It can be truly hilarious sometimes to watch people argue on whose piece of broken mirror is the whole mirror!Hahaha! cheesy

To ever get close to the "truth" a man needs a vastly open mind, a vast consciousness, and not a caged  and narrow mind that causes nothing but a very very very limited tunnel vision that can only allow the sighting of one single piece of the truth at a time.
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by Gabry(f): 6:50am On Apr 13, 2010
~Sissy~:

Gabby thats very WRONG.  you cant WORSHIP her. shes not God. no matter how much you love her, you only HONOR not WORSHIP her. you are definitely going against the catholic teachings and the bible. i'm sure she wouldnt want you to worship her too. oya go get you CCC and start reading  tongue

I know but what if I tell you that when I was 12, I started praying the Rosary. My parents were under divorce, and constantly fighting and beating each other. .  My father had an affair, I get bullied in school cause I was different, my sister always beats me up if I dont do whatever she wants me to do, my brother constanly mollested me and when I tell my mom about it, she kicks me out of the house and beat me up. My grandmother is a sexist that she keeps mocking me that I should not go to school and I should do this and that, my aunts and uncles are continously comparing me with their daughters and son calling me dump and all. . . My cousin brother whom was 11 years older than me mollested me and he almost r. . .a. . .p.e me but I thank God sumthin happen that day which causes the act to stop. Imagine at that age, what will a teenager do if she undergoes all of that at one go?

U know, I prayed every single day 3 times a day on the Rosary. A voice told me that everything is going to be okay. (It could be me saying it but anyways!) Everytime I pray the Rosary, it lifted up my spirit and my inner soul and I was literally feeling at peace. And since than I kept having dreams about Mother Mary. She would tell me of things which I should do and should not do and constantly reminding me that everything was going to be okay. I go to church and saw Mother Mary and continue praying to her. I prayed for my parents to not fight and my dad to not have an affair. I prayed for the courage to stood up to my siblings and cousin brother and give them a piece of my wrath not to bother me anymore and to shine in school and do what I do best.

Guess what happen?. . . . I wouldnt be what I should have been without Mother Mary's blessing.

Thats why I said earlier, have people ever stop and think on why a person behave as such?

I dont want to mention all of these nasty past memories but I feel really sad Mother Mary is not being treated as importantly since she has done many great things and she has helped me through my pain.
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by Gabry(f): 6:52am On Apr 13, 2010
jagunlabi:

It is once said by a wise man that the "truth" is like a gigantic mirror smashed on the ground into hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of pieces. Each person comes along and pick one single piece from the multitude of pieces of this mirror, calls it "THE ONLY TRUTH", and build a whole religion or philosophy around that single piece grin. And not only that, as more people come along and and pick one piece each, they all declare they have the only truth and then they inexplicably start battling each other for supremacy over who has the real truth, the whole mirror, not knowing that they all they only have in their possession is only a piece of the broken mirror each. They shout, curse, judge, maim, kill and destroy each other over who owns the only truth when they are all holding only parts of the whole mirror, the whole truth. Is that not madness borne of ignorance? Is that not insanity in it's most extreme form? You will find such madness going on here on nairaland religion forum. It can be truly hilarious sometimes to watch people argue on whose piece of broken mirror is the whole mirror!Hahaha! cheesy

To ever get close to the "truth" a man needs a vastly open mind, a vast consciousness, and not a caged and narrow mind that causes nothing but a very very very limited tunnel vision.

DAMN. . . . I like you!!! shocked shocked shocked

DAMN! . . . I wish I could have explained it that way!! sad sad sad

DAMN!. . . U are a very intelligent persin and I respect you smiley
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by jagunlabi(m): 7:03am On Apr 13, 2010
Gabry:

DAMN. . . . I like you!!!  shocked  shocked  shocked

DAMN! . . . I wish I could have explained it that way!!  sad  sad  sad

DAMN!. . . U are a very intelligent persin and I respect you smiley
Thanks for the compliment, gabry. That is what opening up one's consciosness and mind does to people. We can see things with so much more clarity. It is not a special gift of mine alone, we all have it.

All we need is just to open up and get out of these tiny mind boxes that societies have created for our minds through religious indoctrinations for example(there are many more methods of mind narrowing) to limit the scope with which we can think and perceive things in our reality.

It is all about controlling of the mind by the societies in which we live in through what is called, MIND PRISONS. Prisons without physically visible walls in which you think that you are free, but in actuality, you are not.
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by Sissy3(f): 7:06am On Apr 13, 2010
eyah pele o, i understand how you feel about her but saying you worship her gives the likes of bawomolo something to hang on to, as you can see hes is already confused lol grin grin grin
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by Gabry(f): 7:09am On Apr 13, 2010
jagunlabi:

Thanks for the compliment, gabry. That is what opening up one's consciosness and mind does to people. We can see things with so much more clarity. It is not a special gift of mine alone, we all have it.

All we need is just to open up and get out of these tiny mind boxes that societies have created for our minds through religious indoctrinations for example(there are many more methods of mind narrowing) to limit the scope with which we can think and perceive things in our reality. It is all about controlling of the mind by the societies in which we live in what is called, MIND PRISONS. Prisons without physically visible walls in which you think that you are free, but in actuality, you are not.

Lol! The way you say it makes me feel like making a movie out of this cheesy tongue

Yes naaa. Jagunlabi, I was wondering, for you what religious background do you come from?

~Sissy~:

eyah pele o, i understand how you feel about her but saying you worship her gives the likes of bawomolo something to hang on to, as you can see hes is already confused lol grin grin grin

LOL!!! Haha! Ok, I know I might have sounded like that but I just cannot help it oo. Its like when you really love someone, you tend to exagerate about that persin to the extreme. U know what I mean. grin

aND WHERE ON EARTH HAVE U BEEN angry angry angry
Re: My Religious Views - Not Many Can Accept by jagunlabi(m): 7:23am On Apr 13, 2010
Gabry:

Lol! The way you say it makes me feel like making a movie out of this  cheesy  tongue
Really? Are you in the moviemaking business?

Gabry:

Yes naaa. Jagunlabi, I was wondering, for you what religious background do you come from?
I was once in the christianity business . . . more like an observer(i have to admit) than anything else because i was never really into it. When i got tired of the whole circus, i simply walked away because my mind got too big for what i am being asked to believe in.  My mind simply refused to reside in the tiny cage that was being put before me. I knew that there has to be much more to God than what this religion was teaching me. I just found the whole christian faith thing to be one big fakery, so i walked away from it all to learn more about myself, my creator, and the world around me on my own. In other words, i became a freethinker, a rebel, a heretic(in christian speak grin). And i am loving it moment by moment.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

My Neigbhor, A Second Wife Needs My Prayers. Should I Pray? / What Is The Conviction Of Sin? / Please How Many Times Is Mothers Day Celebrated

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 213
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.