Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,292 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:55 AM

My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. (22058 Views)

I Earn Over 300K Monthly... But I Don't Love My Job / Lady Becomes A Lawyer Years After She Dressed As One For Her School's Career Day / “My Mum Says Am Wicked And Heartless”; Fresh Nigerian Soldier Reveals. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by olawamide042(m): 1:27pm On Jan 18, 2018
Bros please come and hire me oooo,,, I will run the school for you perfectly....Please send me your mail so i can inbox my CV..Thanks
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Pusyiter(m): 1:27pm On Jan 18, 2018
Please, if you need advise, have an open mind and let people make suggestions/recommendations. What you think is good for you might not be God for you.
From your analysis, your presence in the school brought a difference. It speaks volume. You can do both. Do not limit yourself. The more responsibility you carry, the more you build yourself. Dangote and co have a lot of conglomerates and have never complained. Take charge and remove fear.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by CeeJay9ja(m): 1:28pm On Jan 18, 2018
sophoccles:

You can do both businesses together. Just put a salesperson in the parts shop and balance your books every other day or so. The school is up & running already, if you give it the required boost you might be able to borrow the funds required by your shop, from the school.

But please DON'T DUPE YOUR MOM like one juvenile on here already did.

Putting a sales person in an infant business is going to affect profit undecided
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by CeeJay9ja(m): 1:30pm On Jan 18, 2018
thorpido:
You should pursue your dreams.Develop yourself in your business and probably in the future you might even get a job you would like.
Your mom's school business has never been your dream.If you decide to take it up,will you be fulfilled?I can understand how your mom feels about her school but it doesn't automatically make you a successor.
Why not look for someone that fits perfectly to run the school as a principal while you oversee the affairs of the school and still do other things?
Are you the only child?

I am not the only child but I have 3 sisters who are married and a brother who has his business and he is working in a big company.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Rubbiish(m): 1:31pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:

That will affect my time of business. I am thinking of running both but Time factor is my problem
U are beginning to sound selfish
Are u d only child? if no involve the rest...If yes get a good administrator, u dont necessary have to be there all d time. Give someone a job by employing an administrator. Most successful schools are not even run by proprietors, they all employ someone to manage it...I see no issue here. it will even serve as another source of income to u...Since u are not well establish in your electrical sales for now...
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by CeeJay9ja(m): 1:32pm On Jan 18, 2018
Talk2Bella:
smiley the secondary i finished from, all her children manages her school, two had to resign from an oil company in delta to come back to lagos and manage the school, my Mum is a teacher but has a poultry too, my brother manages the poultry and has a small job he's managing, do you understand what i am trying to tell you? if you have younger siblings put them in charge of that small shop first, it's obvious you have managerial skills since your short time presence in the school attracted more students, u de complain of unemployment but you dunno you have a cash cow waiting to be milked.

Nice comment... I have sisters but they are married...
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:

Putting a sales person in an infant business is going to affect profit undecided

Use part of your salary from the school job to pay him/her. It s only for a short period
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by robotix: 1:35pm On Jan 18, 2018
Talk2Bella:
smiley the secondary i finished from, all her children manages her school, two had to resign from an oil company in delta to come back to lagos and manage the school, my Mum is a teacher but has a poultry too, my brother manages the poultry and has a small job he's managing, do you understand what i am trying to tell you? if you have younger siblings put them in charge of that small shop first, it's obvious you have managerial skills since your short time presence in the school attracted more students, u de complain of unemployment but you dunno you have a cash cow waiting to be milked.

Op, if you ignore this advice and follow other's, you may wake up one day I see that everything your mother suffered for has been wiped.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by sammylink: 1:35pm On Jan 18, 2018
If you are the only child, its okay otherwise you can do your mum's school on part time basis.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Mrkumareze(m): 1:35pm On Jan 18, 2018
I guess you have More reasons to leave your mom's school; probably you have siblings or others who's interest in the business . If managing the school gives you upper hand or even transfer the ownership of the sch to You, good. I would suggest you develop the school, with your young and brilliant nature you can expand the school better than your mom thereby making more living out of it. Your electrical biz can be managed by someone from morning to 2, by 2 you should be through with your major work at school and then continue with your biz.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by CeeJay9ja(m): 1:40pm On Jan 18, 2018
Thanks all for your advice...

I will think about all you said..

Thanks Mod for pushing this to FP.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by teceejay1: 1:40pm On Jan 18, 2018
Your Mum's idea is very good, and I'll encourage you to embrace it. Established business owners in the Western world that have businesses that transends generations hand it over to their children.
You can later have your electronics Business in the future if you still desire, since there'll always be opportunities to diversify your Investment if you make a success of the school Business.
#my one cent#
#Vision Without Borders (VWB)#
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by emmanuelpopson(m): 1:41pm On Jan 18, 2018
Skywolf:
why not both,

you can pursue your dream and run the school, just get yourself an experienced secondary school teacher as principal and he will run the school for you while you become the school proprietor

follow this advise and you can do as you planned for yourself...
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by woleabayo(f): 1:42pm On Jan 18, 2018
my advice is that
1) u can do ur bizz by employing an attendant or sales girl(trust worthy one)
2) u can run ur mum school (school resumes 7am -4pm isnt) after this period u go to ur shop or store to to see how the business is going latest by 6pm u have close the shop and go home to rest for the second day.......opinion thou, cos the school u are not teaching u just for u to oversee it: even by 10am u can go to ur store too set out things... or u are telling me now that when u get a good job that pays well u will said u will not accept the offer because of ur spare part store? u will go and still manage the store isnt? so my advice is manage the two dont let ur mum effort runs down and at the same time dont close ur own store?.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Mysselff2: 1:43pm On Jan 18, 2018
OP
From your write up , the only viable business you have is your mom's school, it was by divine arrangement that you had to go there and teach for a while, see what happened while you were there ?

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by adisabarber(m): 1:45pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

Please I need your advice on how to make a decision that will not hurt me in the future. I am a graduate but due to the situation of the country, it was difficult for me to get a standard job so I resigned where I was managing and decided to learn trading.

During the period of "No job frustration" I was assisting my mother in her school and teaching Basic 5 & 6. That period, I attracted more students to her school and parents were giving me good Commendation.

After a year, I went out to learn trading and when I came back, I decided to start something no matter how small.
I have started sale of Electrical parts, though I have not gotten much customers.

Just last night, my mum called me and said she would want me to take over her school business, that she is getting too old to continue. She said she will not be happy if I abandon the school and let it die like that. On my own part, I want to grow my business and I need more concentration on it. Now, I have a divided plan.

I don't want to abandon my business plans and at the same time, I dont want her stuggle to just die like that...

I need your advice, please.

You have seen your calling but you want to pursue dreams.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Solution4u0(m): 1:47pm On Jan 18, 2018
Go and married so that your wife will help you to stay in the shop and you will take care of the school
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by CeeJay9ja(m): 1:47pm On Jan 18, 2018
adisabarber:

You have seen your calling but you want to pursue dreams.
My brother, both are important smiley

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by CeeJay9ja(m): 1:47pm On Jan 18, 2018
Solution4u0:
Go and married so that your wife will help you to stay in the shop and you will take care of the school

Marriage is not an option Jor. grin.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by adisabarber(m): 1:48pm On Jan 18, 2018
olawamide042:
Bros please come and hire me oooo,,, I will run the school for you perfectly....Please send me your mail so i can inbox my CV..Thanks

Do you have any experience working in a school?
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by phollybee(m): 1:49pm On Jan 18, 2018
I will like to submit my CV... . We can both run it better.
Discipline : Political science and Economics.
Qualifications
BACHELOR DEGREE IN EDUCATION {B. ED} IN POLITICAL SCIENCE
NIGERIA CERTIFICATE IN EDUCATION {NCE}
With three years experience in teaching.
Teaching is my hobby!
Thanks 08062965723 ...
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Solution4u0(m): 1:50pm On Jan 18, 2018
Go and married so that your wife will help you to stay in the shop and you will take care of the school [color=#006600][/color]
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by olawamide042(m): 1:52pm On Jan 18, 2018
adisabarber:

Do you have any experience working in a school?
Yes sir..
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by adisabarber(m): 1:53pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:

My brother, both are important smiley

Stay in your mum's school and keep doing your own thing part time. You will not regret it. I don't know you, you don't know me but just trust me. If after 2 sessions you are not satisfied, you can leave and pursue your dream full time.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by CeeJay9ja(m): 1:56pm On Jan 18, 2018
adisabarber:

Stay in your mum's school and keep doing your own thing part time. You will not regret it. I don't know you, you don't know me but just trust me. If after 2 sessions you are not satisfied, you can leave and pursue your dream full time.

Thanks...sometimes we have to give up the things we want the most for something destined.

Parents have been pleading that I should resume tutorial class for Secondary school students.

I think I have to wake up. Thanks once again to everyone

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by tivta(m): 1:57pm On Jan 18, 2018
with the way things are now i wish i had this opportunity. the secondary school i finished from is racking in millions (i was the first set) yet companies older than it are closing up...
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by FKMagazine(m): 1:59pm On Jan 18, 2018
Take ur time bro, contemplate more, it's somehow complicated though.

But for me, depending on the size of the school, if ur dream is to be a Successful Mogul in d nearest future? I'll go for the school.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:04pm On Jan 18, 2018
FarahAideed:
When you know wealth is a generational effort just like the Jews you will know there is nothing stopping you from continuing your mums school and also doing your own business ..Never allow her effort go to waste man

You are correct, Dangote is from a 5th generation of traders.

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Donpizzle(m): 2:06pm On Jan 18, 2018
Sell the school to me. If you don't want to manage the school, I am ready to buy it. You probably don't know the value of owning a school. Next big revenue generator after church. smiley

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Primebuilders(m): 2:06pm On Jan 18, 2018
If you know the money wey dey for school you will not dream of selling electrical part. I have been dreaming of being in your school.
Business when very three three month you go dey receive alert unend.

Bros fashi that shop and build your mum business. If you come do some innovation and increase school fees parent will be still very much willing to pay
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by cooltola(m): 2:09pm On Jan 18, 2018
My own question Which one will benefit you in the long run?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) / How Are You Coping With Your Salary In This Economy / Meet Some Of Dangote Truck Drivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.