Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,160 members, 7,821,941 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:22 PM

My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. (22095 Views)

I Earn Over 300K Monthly... But I Don't Love My Job / Lady Becomes A Lawyer Years After She Dressed As One For Her School's Career Day / “My Mum Says Am Wicked And Heartless”; Fresh Nigerian Soldier Reveals. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by emmanuelewumi(m): 2:09pm On Jan 18, 2018
robotix:

Op, if you ignore this advice and follow other's, you may wake up one day I see that everything your mother suffered for has been wiped.

That is why most African businesses do not outlive the founders.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by CoachEdward(m): 2:10pm On Jan 18, 2018
my advice is that you should follow your passion and be hardworking with it. #Toba Edward.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Butoneday2(m): 2:13pm On Jan 18, 2018
undecidedAnd what is dat do you want? undecided
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by drakeli: 2:13pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:

Yes, I know but that school is a legacy I should not abandon sad
You can incorporate the school into your dream. There are thousands of family businesses in the US that have been in existence over a hundred years. Yet, they are still family owned, passed down from generation to generation. Do you want to tell me those people didn’t have there own dream when they decided to keep their great great grand father legacy afloat. Such businesses are big corporations today. A typical example is Walmart. Though has gone public by public sale of shares, but it’s still largely controlled by the family that founded it. There are private schools like that in the UK family owned from generation to generation.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by no1madman(m): 2:15pm On Jan 18, 2018
elaigwusimona:
God create some people come this world to enjoy oo!. me wey the pray just to inherit commercial bus 1day to start my own life. your own better oo!
op, u fit make me the principal of your school? that one i sure say i fit the buy sugar to add to the garri wey i get 4 house.
God bless you as you manage your business and the school......
see as u humble urself. .e be like say u study humility 4 skool. ..
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by kenpacheeee(m): 2:15pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

Please I need your advice on how to make a decision that will not hurt me in the future. I am a graduate but due to the situation of the country, it was difficult for me to get a standard job so I resigned where I was managing and decided to learn trading.

During the period of "No job frustration" I was assisting my mother in her school and teaching Basic 5 & 6. That period, I attracted more students to her school and parents were giving me good Commendation.guy give yourself sense,God made the school so you can build from there.. take up the school asap and develop it..a word us enough for the wise

After a year, I went out to learn trading and when I came back, I decided to start something no matter how small.
I have started sale of Electrical parts, though I have not gotten much customers.

Just last night, my mum called me and said she would want me to take over her school business, that she is getting too old to continue. She said she will not be happy if I abandon the school and let it die like that. On my own part, I want to grow my business and I need more concentration on it. Now, I have a divided plan.

I don't want to abandon my business plans and at the same time, I dont want her stuggle to just die like that...

I need your advice, please.

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by showghan(m): 2:16pm On Jan 18, 2018
Hmmm... people go dey post their life matter for NL... na waa o

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Beedude(m): 2:20pm On Jan 18, 2018
pawesome:
But you can do both

Divide and conquer...
Both places have workers...
Abi is it not the normal electrical part sales?
The Guy Is Just Whining People Here. I Dont See Any Issue Here. Both Places Have Workers As U Said. Taking A Course In Administration Will Help
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Guilderland1(m): 2:25pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

Please I need your advice on how to make a decision that will not hurt me in the future. I am a graduate but due to the situation of the country, it was difficult for me to get a standard job so I resigned where I was managing and decided to learn trading.

During the period of "No job frustration" I was assisting my mother in her school and teaching Basic 5 & 6. That period, I attracted more students to her school and parents were giving me good Commendation.

After a year, I went out to learn trading and when I came back, I decided to start something no matter how small.
I have started sale of Electrical parts, though I have not gotten much customers.

Just last night, my mum called me and said she would want me to take over her school business, that she is getting too old to continue. She said she will not be happy if I abandon the school and let it die like that. On my own part, I want to grow my business and I need more concentration on it. Now, I have a divided plan.

I don't want to abandon my business plans and at the same time, I dont want her stuggle to just die like that...

OP please I know this question does not related with ur question but I need to know.
Please how much was ur capital when you started the electronic business, because I am about to start my own after years of apprenticeship?
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by cinolala(m): 2:25pm On Jan 18, 2018
U can still do both
ur business u can get a sales personal nd sch u can employ a principal by so doing u can manage both successfully
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by themannia(m): 2:26pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:

Yes, I know but that school is a legacy I should not abandon sad
Great talk !
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by CeeJay9ja(m): 2:29pm On Jan 18, 2018
Guilderland1:

OP please I know this question does not related with ur question but I need to know.
Please how much was ur capital when you started the electronic business, because I am about to start my own after years of apprenticeship?

It depends on how large you want it to be...but I would advise you don't fill your store up with goods..customers' demand should be your compass. N500,000 can start
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by wickyyolo: 2:34pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

During the period of "No job frustration" I was assisting my mother in her school and teaching Basic 5 & 6. That period, I attracted more students to her school and parents were giving me good Commendation.

You better embrace your destiny, nothing bad in being a school teacher.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by CeeJay9ja(m): 2:35pm On Jan 18, 2018
wickyyolo:

You better embrace your destiny, nothing bad in being a school teacher.

Thank you sir smiley
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Lomprico2: 2:37pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

How will u feel if one day after growing this ur biz to an empire and ur children tells u they dont want to be apart of it after you have become too old to run it? Hm?

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by ibietela2(m): 2:46pm On Jan 18, 2018
Talk2Bella:
smiley the secondary i finished from, all her children manages her school, two had to resign from an oil company in delta to come back to lagos and manage the school, my Mum is a teacher but has a poultry too, my brother manages the poultry and has a small job he's managing, do you understand what i am trying to tell you? if you have younger siblings put them in charge of that small shop first, it's obvious you have managerial skills since your short time presence in the school attracted more students, u de complain of unemployment but you dunno you have a cash cow waiting to be milked.

You see na
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by EngrXrix(m): 2:46pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

School is also a business. U can grow and expand it. Besides managing a school doesn't require u to be there 24/7. This shud give u time to venture into other things. But for now I advice u keep the school afloat. Who knows u just might get to where u want from it. Remember "na bird wey dey ur hand nai b ur own". Don't dull.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by gratefulheart(m): 2:54pm On Jan 18, 2018
The school is what you should go and thrown you energy in. After 1year come and tell me your experience and conviction.

CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by danberg: 3:01pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

OP, It's a little more complicated than you may think or what many here advise.
Just because your mum wants you to run the school doesn't mean the others (your siblings) would look the other way, if and when you turn things around and school becomes a money spinner. Even if they do, what makes you think their children will?

The idea of generational businesses hasn't really worked well in this part of the world for obvious reasons (except for a few examples). Be smart! Your business is your own entirely, so build it conscientiously till you make it a success. In the meantime, get a liked-minded educated young man you can trust to handle affairs at your mum's school (you don't have the monopoly of knowledge/ability) while you act as director, coming in unannounced daily to see how things are going. Your mum may protest but let her see reason.

In the future, when you have made a success of your business, you can pump money into the school and make it much bigger and more profitable but not before, you convene a family meeting to create a board and legal documents drawn up by your attorney.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by sben2308(m): 3:02pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

I will b honest with u from a professional POV .In a short while in d school u attracted more students n improve to d extend of getting recommendation from parent. While after learning ur trading u r still yet able to get d same kind u got from d school .Believe u me u mom sees wat u don't i tell u n I also see it but only u is yet to and wen u do I strongly believe u gonna change ur mind.So b smart n wise at d same time .

CHEERS
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by bayulll011(m): 3:04pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

you are a graduate and still ask this questions.

oga this is 2018 u should be discipline to multi task.

why cant u run both or u think being a graduate is just to stay in one field.

that is why u did all those borrow course face it and make the woman happy
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by Scetrocom: 3:07pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

Well, I can found someone who will run the school for you base on agreement. The person will be running the school with or without your supervision and profit will be share base on % per term.
You will be free to pursue your dream without having headache about the school. You can contact me on 08024251225.

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by CeeJay9ja(m): 3:09pm On Jan 18, 2018
bayulll011:

you are a graduate and still ask this questions.

oga this is 2018 u should be discipline to multi task.

why cant u run both or u think being a graduate is just to stay in one field.

that is why u did all those borrow course face it and make the woman happy

Yes sir
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by coputa(m): 3:32pm On Jan 18, 2018
Jack of all trade master of none.You graduated from the university,no job then you have a brief stinct with your mother in her school during which God reveals your talents to your mother through your hardwork and managerial ingenuity,but because of the speck in your eyes coupled with big eyes for greener pastures,you didn't see the opportunity to continue work with your mum.
You ran out to learn a trade out of frustration(not a dream).
Mr man,jettison your electronics biz and embrace the school biz because it has more future potential that will give you fulfilment in future.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by yhemster(m): 3:37pm On Jan 18, 2018
Answer the following question b4 I can advise you.

1. What is the financial status of the school in terms of assets, cash in the bank, liabilities and student population.
2. Is the school located in a viable area? i.e. an area where the growth can be exponential
3. How old is the school? can you say it's a well established school?
4. what's the current ownership structure of the school?
5. What's your educational background?
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by patani(m): 3:50pm On Jan 18, 2018
coputa:
Jack of all trade master of none.You graduated from the university,no job then you have a brief stinct with your mother in her school during which God reveals your talents to your mother through your hardwork and managerial ingenuity,but because of the speck in your eyes coupled with big eyes for greener pastures,you didn't see the opportunity to continue work with your mum.
You ran out to learn a trade out of frustration(not a dream).
Mr man,jettison your electronics biz and embrace the school biz because it has more future potential that will give you fulfilment in future.

Supported. All these build your dream talks are over rated
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by IYANGBALI: 3:53pm On Jan 18, 2018
Please tell your mum to adopt me

1 Like

Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by publicenemy(m): 3:54pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

is the school around Gowon estate at egbeda?
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by okewumi: 3:59pm On Jan 18, 2018
It is a problem when son of the landlord is paying house rent of his fathers house to a tenant.
People have started submitting their Cv to you already. Your case weaken me oo grin

Don't be lazy please. I have taught in Nursery and Primary school before and in afternoon, l go for computed
training despite having my small farm. All what you need is time management. Don't be offended if l am harsh.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by bareal(m): 4:11pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

Who told you that you cannot run your business alongside the school. Use your brain jor
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by 400billionman: 4:26pm On Jan 18, 2018
CeeJay9ja:
Hello,

School = Goldmine.
Re: My Mum Wants Me To Take Over Her School But I Want Something Else. by 400billionman: 4:30pm On Jan 18, 2018
Talk2Bella:
smiley the secondary i finished from, all her children manages her school, two had to resign from an oil company in delta to come back to lagos and manage the school, my Mum is a teacher but has a poultry too, my brother manages the poultry and has a small job he's managing, do you understand what i am trying to tell you? if you have younger siblings put them in charge of that small shop first, it's obvious you have managerial skills since your short time presence in the school attracted more students, u de complain of unemployment but you dunno you have e a cash cow waiting to be milked.

Gbam..

Everyone wants free money at month end with little effort.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Her Firm Increased Her Pay To Match That Of a New Job (Please Advise) / Salary Job VS Doing Business, Which One Is Better? / Meet Some Of Dangote Truck Drivers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.