Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,572 members, 7,812,851 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:38 PM

Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. (40282 Views)

“I Don’t Want To Be Responsible For Traumatising Children” - Chimamanda Adichie / Chimamanda Adichie: I Was Sexually Harassed By Media Man Who Squeezed My Breast / Ivara Esege, Chimamanda Adichie's Husband, Pictured With Her Brother, Kene (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by LemuelIrabor: 2:59pm On Jan 27, 2018
noblealuu:
All these whites sef...can't utilize the internet facilities at their disposal to know a thing or two about other countries..... shocked

Little wonder some of them think Africa is a continent

Wait till they ask you if you 'speak Nigerian' ?
smiley

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by teamsynergy: 3:00pm On Jan 27, 2018
opribo:
The question is not out of tune, just take a look around do you still see libraries here.

Reading culture is dead in our environment. No more research. Everything is now internet is the answer.

Even abroad they still maintain an active library and postal service but here we know more than the people that thought us. No library no more postal services.

The people that asked that question knew what they were saying. I can't even say where one can find a bookstore in Nigeria.

it's either u live in a remote village or u are damn lazy... bookshops are in every town I have visited in this country... if you visit sections where novels are discussed on niaraland , am sure u would Think the comments there are made by foreigners .... even village newspaper stands still have a lot of visitors (readers) despite the internet

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by wura2020: 3:00pm On Jan 27, 2018
XingXhang:
Nigeria has bookshops but very few readers.

Keep three books by Anthony Robbins or Zig Ziglar out in the open. No one will dare touch them. But misplace your #5 and you won't see it 5 mins later.

You'll see a book seller looking all dirty; I'll be like, How can a man be selling knowledge and still be ignorant?

Btw, I received joined a WhatsApp group where e-books by almost all the good authors (Christian and motivational) are being sent for easy download and reading. I intend opening mine, if interested to join my READING CLUB on WhatsApp...Send me your number. Thank you.

Leaders are Readers. Consistent readers are Great Leaders. Build a future that will last by investing in books today. FREE BOOKS.

Please add me-09056074447. Thanks in advance.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Chukazu: 3:03pm On Jan 27, 2018
teamsynergy:

like naija is the only country with internet... u don't feel bookshops have closed in France too.... it's a general thing and not peculiar to naija

Even in those countries, like it or not reading hard copy books is not high...

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Shinapraise(m): 3:04pm On Jan 27, 2018
XingXhang:

Keep three books by Anthony Robbins or Zig Ziglar out in the open. No one will dare touch them. But misplace your #5 and you won't see it 5 mins later.

You'll see a book seller looking all dirty; I'll be like, How can a man be selling knowledge and still be ignorant?

Btw, I received joined a WhatsApp group where e-books by almost all the good authors (Christian and motivational) are being sent for easy download and reading. I intend opening mine, if interested to join my READING CLUB on WhatsApp...Send me your number. Thank you.

Leaders are Readers. Consistent readers are Great Leaders. Build a future that will last by investing in books today. FREE BOOKS.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Baltazarcus(m): 3:08pm On Jan 27, 2018
XingXhang:

Hey add me up to the WhatsApp group (07065332559)
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Chukazu: 3:09pm On Jan 27, 2018
XingXhang:

I will PM you
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by teamsynergy: 3:10pm On Jan 27, 2018
LZAA:

i think u need to look at xingxhang's statement then you will understand what i'm trying to tell u

it's a global thing... early this month, apple,at&t and other tech giants all vowed to do something about teenagers' addiction to cellphone.. They don't read or interact physically again ... that's a stat made In the USA, France is not exempted from this... there are still many readers and active bookshops in nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jan 27, 2018
RealDonaldTrump:

He/She meant to say “most europeans and americans think Africa is a single country”. I have a first hand Account of that here in america and i just laugh and tell them what it is. Nigeria is painted like a desert here o and most white folks here in America have received the scam mails at least once. So when they know you are a Nigerian, they tell you how someone said they won millions in inheritance and they need some fund to hire a lawyer bla bla bla. Abeg make we change our ways. We dey hustle legitimately here o and we dey pay tax. Make i sidon collect my 3.5million naira in tax return. Abeg America sweet
How does that tax return of a thing work sef?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by ebenholer(m): 3:11pm On Jan 27, 2018
She is right. If u re outside Nigeria there absolutely nothing to write home about about this nation than tragedies. Tune in ur radio or TV even Nigeria, what do u hear most than news of tragedies?

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by BraniacX(m): 3:15pm On Jan 27, 2018
boostdom:

You use leaves? You elitist bourgeois.

I use jute fiber, it's strong enough to pad my mandingo, so I don't walk with a hunch.
grin

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by williamdeluxe(m): 3:18pm On Jan 27, 2018
this is more Dan a clapbabck
it's a bomb back

arsenic and direct
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by VictorRomanov: 3:19pm On Jan 27, 2018
noblealuu:
All these whites sef...can't utilize the internet facilities at their disposal to know a thing or two about other countries..... shocked

Oh God! Why

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by debowale01(m): 3:24pm On Jan 27, 2018
noblealuu:

uncle bros.... hafa na
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by LZAA: 3:24pm On Jan 27, 2018
teamsynergy:

it's a global thing... early this month, apple,at&t and other tech giants were all vow to do something about teenagers' addiction to cellphone.. They don't read or interact physically again ... that's a stat made In the USA, France is not exempted from this... there are still many readers and active bookshops in nigeria
bro you do know u and i are saying the same thing right?
u have also seen other comments on this topic saying the same thing.nobody said that there are no bkshops all i said is that ppl dont read much anymore
okay lemme break it down for u
chiamanda releases a book and i buy its ebook
i then join a group(ie whatsapp or reddit or 4shared and share the file and others read the book) what will they go and look for in a bkshop?
very few bkshops are still active in nigeria due to poor reading culture
so lemme give u anoda example:national theatre is still standing but when last did u go there.
there is a difference between having something and using it
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by moses93(m): 3:27pm On Jan 27, 2018
where is the clap back here!?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Pecca: 3:27pm On Jan 27, 2018
Buhari would have said, " my people are useless; my people are senseless: they don't read...so we don't waste money on bookstores. on cow colonies? yes!".
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by samuelchimmy(m): 3:28pm On Jan 27, 2018
XingXhang:

pls add me to the group,i just sent you a pm
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by holysina(m): 3:29pm On Jan 27, 2018
noblealuu:

Hian is Africa no longer a continent; When did that change?
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by DeRay98(m): 3:29pm On Jan 27, 2018
noblealuu:

They think that way because France is particular has been draining the natural resources their colonies in Africa.
Mosts of the world's poorest countries are "former" French colonies.
So they think we're all as poor as their colonies.

2 Likes

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Ravissante(f): 3:30pm On Jan 27, 2018
Doctormarrvin:
This is a feminist! Not these razz Nigerian girls who parade the title online and on social medias. If you're not accomplished in any area of your life then please! Don't call yourself a feminist cos whatever you say will mostly be interpreted as the words of a non entity

There are also different types of men... But you don't see us running like headless chickens after meeting stupid ones like yourself
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by crisycent: 3:31pm On Jan 27, 2018
She should have reminded the idiot how they(French) were sponsoring a separatist movement (Biafra) in Nigeria during the civil war.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by SamsonJohn743(m): 3:31pm On Jan 27, 2018
XingXhang:

Sam
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by bellville: 3:35pm On Jan 27, 2018
There are several bookstores in Nigeria both online and offline.

If you want books delivered to your doorstep at the speed of light, check my siggy. Try us today.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by jrusky(m): 3:42pm On Jan 27, 2018
noblealuu:

Pls quickly edit the bolded.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Mariangeles(f): 3:44pm On Jan 27, 2018
boostdom:

You use leaves? You elitist bourgeois.

I use jute fiber, it's strong enough to pad my mandingo, so I don't walk with a hunch.
Hahahaha...You little Kevin Hart

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by teamsynergy: 3:44pm On Jan 27, 2018
LZAA:

bro you do know u and i are saying the same thing right?
u have also seen other comments on this topic saying the same thing.nobody said that there are no bkshops all i said is that ppl dont read much anymore
okay lemme break it down for u
chiamanda releases a book and i buy its ebook
i then join a group(ie whatsapp or reddit or 4shared and share the file and others read the book) what will they go and look for in a bkshop?
very few bkshops are still active in nigeria due to poor reading culture
so lemme give u anoda example:national theatre is still standing but when last did u go there.
there is a difference between having something and using it

I get you... but the notion of the interviewer was That we don't read at all....

1 Like

Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by gustav25: 3:48pm On Jan 27, 2018
LZAA:

my broda lets say the hard truth even art students hardly read dis days ie books
as per d bkshop tin,u can see wia i clearly said ebooks are replacing hard cover books
so why go to a bkshop when u can order or download an ebook on the net?
Mr man,please elucidate more on the 'arts' student ,because I'm not understanding where you are heading to
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 27, 2018
she was rude! Period.
Syria
Somalia
Nigeria
Libya
And other Africa countries that faces one internal conflict or the other make the Westerns wonder whether anything positive happen here.
Though her question, to us, seem outrageously ridiculous, but looking at it from her perspective, is justified.
Re: Chimamanda Adichie's Clapback To "Nigeria Has Bookshops?" Question In France. by 01mcfadden(m): 3:52pm On Jan 27, 2018
XingXhang:

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Nairaland's "The Poet" Competition Season 2 / Top 10 Nigerian Writers Of All Time. / Faridah Abike-Iyimide Secures MacMillan Million-Dollar Book Deal In USA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.