Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,107 members, 7,811,118 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance (3988 Views)

Poll: Ae atheists just a bunch of IGNORANT dudes?

YES: Atheists are a bunch of ignoramuses who love to live in obvious denial.: 55% (16 votes)
NO: Atheists are intelligent.: 24% (7 votes)
I am indifferent.: 10% (3 votes)
who cares? they can go to hell.: 3% (1 vote)
Atheists may be dumb, but they have every right to believe what they want.: 6% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Why I Am Not An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by noetic16(m): 10:48pm On Apr 15, 2010
"As people have certainly been influenced by me, I want to try and correct the enormous damage I may have done." (Anthony Flew)

The newspapers these days are echoing with these regret-filled words by Antony Flew, in his time a well-known atheist philosopher. The 81-year-old British professor of philosophy Flew chose to become an atheist at the age of 15, and first made a name for himself in the academic field with a paper published in 1950. In the 54 years that followed, he defended atheism as a teacher at the universities of Oxford, Aberdeen, Keele and Reading, at many American and Canadian universities he visited, in debates, books, lecture halls and articles. In recent days, however, Flew has announced that he has abandoned this error and accepts that the universe was created.

The decisive factor in this radical change of view is the clear and definitive evidence revealed by science on the subject of creation. Flew realized, in the face of the information-based complexity of life, that the true origin of life is intelligent design and that the atheism he had espoused for 66 years was a discredited philosophy.

Flew announced the scientific reasons underlying this change in belief in these terms:

"Biologists' investigation of DNA has shown, by the almost unbelievable complexity of the arrangements which are needed to produce [life], that intelligence must have been involved." [1]

"It has become inordinately difficult even to begin to think about constructing a naturalistic theory of the evolution of that first reproducing organism." [2]

"I have been persuaded that it is simply out of the question that the first living matter evolved out of dead matter and then developed into an extraordinarily complicated creature." [3]

The DNA research which Flew cites as a fundamental reason for his change of opinion has indeed revealed striking facts about creation. The helix shape of the DNA molecule, its possession of the genetic code, the nucleotide strings that refute blind chance, the storage of encyclopedic quantities of information and many other striking findings have revealed that the structure and functions of this molecule were arranged for life with a special design. Comments by scientists concerned with DNA research bear witness to this fact.

Francis Crick, for instance, one of the scientists who revealed the helix shape of DNA admitted in the face of the findings regarding DNA that the origin of life indicated a miracle:

An honest man, armed with all the knowledge available to us now, could only state that in some sense, the origin of life appears at the moment to be almost a miracle, so many are the conditions which would have had to have been satisfied to get it going. [4]

Based on his calculations, Led Adleman of the University of Southern California in Los Angeles has stated that one gram of DNA can store as much information as a trillion compact discs. [5] Gene Myers, a scientist employed on the Human Genome Project, has said the following in the face of the miraculous arrangements he witnessed:

"What really astounds me is the architecture of life. The system is extremely complex. It's like it was designed. There's a huge intelligence there." [6]

The most striking fact about DNA is that the existence of the coded genetic information can definitely not be explained in terms of matter and energy or natural laws. Dr. Werner Gitt, a professor at the German Federal Institute of Physics and Technology, has said this on the subject:

A code system is always the result of a mental process. It should be emphasized that matter as such is unable to generate any code. All experiences indicate that a thinking being voluntarily exercising his own free will, cognition, and creativity, is required. There is no known natural law through which matter can give rise to information, neither is any physical process or material phenomenon known that can do this. [7]

Creationist scientists and philosophers played a major role in Flew's acceptance of intelligent design, backed up by all these findings. In recent times Flew participated in debates with scientists and philosophers who were proponents of creation, and exchanged ideas with them. The final turning point in that process was a discussion organized by the Institute for Metascientific Research in Texas in May, 2003. Professor Flew participated in the discussion together with the author, Roy Abraham Varghese, a physicist, and the molecular biologist, Gerald Schroeder. Flew was impressed by the weight of the scientific evidence in favor of creation and by the convincing nature of his opponents' arguments and abandoned atheism as an idea in the period following that discussion. In a letter he wrote for the August-September, 2003, edition of the British magazine Philosophy Now, he recommended Schroeder's book "The Hidden Face of God: Science Reveals the Ultimate Truth" and Varghese's book "The Wonderful World." [8] During an interview with the professor of philosophy and theology Gary R. Habermas, who also played a major role in his change of mind, [9] and also on the video "Has Science Discovered God?" he openly stated that he believed in intelligent design.

The "Intelligence Pervading the Universe" and the Collapse of Atheism

In the face of all the scientific developments outlined above, the acceptance of intelligent design by Anthony Flew, famous for defending atheism for many years, reflects a final scene in the process of collapse which atheism is being subjected to Modern science has revealed the existence of an "intelligence pervading the universe," thus leaving atheism out of the equation.

In his book "The Hidden Face of God," Gerald Schroeder, one of the creationist scientists who influenced Flew, writes:

A single consciousness, a universal wisdom, pervades the universe. The discoveries of science, those that search the quantum nature of subatomic matter, have moved us to the brink of a startling realization: all existence is the expression of this wisdom. In the laboratories we experience it as information that first physically articulated as energy and then condensed into the form of matter. Every particle, every being, from atom to human, appears to represent a level of information, of wisdom. [10]

Scientific research into both the functioning of the cell and the subatomic particles of matter has revealed this fact in an indisputable manner: Life and the universe were brought into being from nothing by the will of an entity possessed of a superior mind and wisdom. There is no doubt that the possessor of that knowledge and mind that designed the universe at all levels is Almighty God.

1 Like

Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by DeepSight(m): 11:15pm On Apr 15, 2010
I am very sorry to say what i am about to say.

Apologies in advance to those who I may offend.

BUT ATHEISM IS STUPIDITY.
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by noetic16(m): 11:48pm On Apr 15, 2010
Deep Sight:

No need for the apologies . . , that which u said is a LEGENDARY FACT. grin
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by Enigma(m): 11:52pm On Apr 15, 2010
Hmmm, interesting! I had missed this so I went looking.

Professor Antony Flew (RIP)

Flew always described himself as a "negative atheist", asserting that "theological propositions can neither be verified nor falsified by experience", a position he expounded in his classic paper Theology and Falsification (1950), reputedly the most frequently-quoted philosophical publication of the second half of the 20th century.

He argued that any philosophical debate about the Almighty must begin by presuming atheism, placing the burden of proof on those who believe that God exists. "We reject all transcendent supernatural systems, not because we've examined or could have examined each in turn, but because it does not seem to us that there is any good evidence in reason to postulate anything behind or beyond this natural universe," he proclaimed. A key principle of his philosophy was the Socratean concept of "follow the evidence, wherever it leads".

When Flew revealed that he had come to the conclusion that there might be a God after all, it came as a shock to his fellow atheists, who had long regarded him as one of their foremost champions. Worse, he seemed to have deserted Plato for Aristotle, since it was two of Aquinas's famous five proofs for the existence of God – the arguments from design and for a prime mover – that had apparently clinched the matter.
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by Enigma(m): 12:11am On Apr 16, 2010
One thing saddens me about this episode though:

But believers waiting to welcome this most prodigal of sons back into the fold were to be disappointed. Flew's conversion did not embrace such concepts as Heaven, good and evil or the afterlife – let alone divine intervention in human affairs. His God was strictly minimalist – very different from "the monstrous oriental despots of the religions of Christianity and Islam", as he liked to call them. God may have called his creation into existence, then, but why did he bother? To that question, it seemed, Flew had no answer.

False doctrine of some of our fellow Christians, especially harshness and a readiness to condemn people to "hell" do turn otherwise intelligent people off Christianity. It reminds me of a song from a most beautiful hymn/song "There's a Wideness in God's Mercy" (especially when sung to the tune Corvedale which unfortunately is not one of the tunes in the link): http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/t/h/e/therwide.htm

But we make His love too narrow
By false limits of our own;
And we magnify His strictness
With a zeal He will not own.

In truth, part of the fault is with the "intelligent" people too in that they often don't apply enough intellect to understanding true biblical teaching and go by misrepresentations and in extreme cases, like Dawkins, are duplicitous in their tactics. Nevertheless, I believe that we need to balance all this "hell" and brimstone things with a true perspective on God's love as well without going to the other extreme a la WoF that god is my "sugar daddy" or my "boyfriend"!

ETA another verse:

For the love of God is broader
Than the measure of our mind;
And the heart of the Eternal
Is most wonderfully kind.
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by noetic16(m): 12:16am On Apr 16, 2010
Enigma:

One thing saddens me about this episode though:

False doctrine of some of our fellow Christians, especially harshness and a readiness to condemn people to "hell" do turn otherwise intelligent people off Christianity. It reminds me of a song from a most beautiful hymn/song "There's a Wideness in God's Mercy" (especially when sung to the tune Corvedale which unfortunately is not one of the tunes in the link): http://www.cyberhymnal.org/htm/t/h/e/therwide.htm

hell is an integral part of the gospel. . . . .the gospel is NOT complete without them mention of JC. . . . .and to reject JC is to welcome hell. hell is an unfortunate reality all men who reject JC must face.

In truth, part of the fault is with the "intelligent" people too in that they often don't apply enough intellect to understanding true biblical teaching and go by misrepresentations and in extreme cases, like Dawkins, are duplicitous in their tactics. Nevertheless, I believe that we need to balance all this "hell" and brimstone things with a true perspective on God's love as well without going to the other extreme a la WoF that god is my "sugar daddy" or my "boyfriend"!

I would not call anyone intelligent. he was articulate and audacious in airing his views . .  , his intelligence is subject to debate.

P.S . . .even my illeterate great-great-great-greater grand mother knows that the world we see was made by a super intelligent person . . , how much more a professor who took 50 years to realise this obvious truth. he was not in any way intelligent.

1 Like

Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by mazaje(m): 1:47am On Apr 16, 2010
@ OP so the fact that Anthony Flew accepted that their might be some kind of designed to the universe means that atheism is wrong and christianity right eh?. . . .By the way Anthony Flew never accepted that the christian god or any of the man made gods out there was real, He was willing to accept some form of a deist god. . . ,

What would a convincing argument for God's existence be like since there are so many god concept out there? Depends which "god" you're talking about. Most "god" concepts are either logically incoherent or cognitively vacuous and don't even require a preponderance of evidence to prove their non-existence. . . .Even christianity has many different versions including some that were wiped out (such as the Gnostics, whose god was quite different). There is no one god even in christianity, but a multiple of ideas of this god that people are endlessly and frivolously trying to reconstruct based on some scriptures that were written by unknown men that also had different views of they god they were talking about.

Believers sometimes complain that atheists seem to accept no argument whatsoever for God's existence, and that they've already decided beforehand that God doesn't exist. Though to be honest, it seems like theists have accepted beforehand that God exists, but let's leave that for the moment.

So let us discuss: What would a convincing argument for God's existence be like? How could its veracity be established?

Most theist arguments are of this form:

1. There is something we don't have an explanation for.
2. Put God as the explanation.
3. Therefore, God exists.

Man has made tremendous progress in discovering answers to so many things and the answers keep disproving the existence of the man made ideas of their various gods. . . . .Natural phenomena are witnessed and studied all the time. Evidence for natural phenomena is abundant. A universe containing or beginning with the supernatural is an assumption. There is no evidence for supernatural phenomena, and when alleged supernatural phenomena is studied a natural explanation is found, Issac Newton looked at the constellations and could not come up with any explanation for what kept the planets together around the sun in orbit and concluded that it was god that held them together. . .Now we know that no god actually hold the planets in orbit and have developed very good explanation for that . . . . .Creationists embrace a belief system which rules out any other explanation - no matter what. . . . . .
Genesis is right. End of story. . . . . .No matter that Creatiionists are unable to produce any historical, geographical, geological, archaeological, biological, paleontological or cosmological evidence which substantiates anything in Genesis and is accepted as valid by non-Creationists.

The findings of science are pushing them farther and farther up a dead-end creek, so they cast around for some little escape route, and one most obviously at hand is the "origin of life".
Science hasn't been able to find the answer - so wonders of wonders, it was done by a god!

And in 50 years' time, will science still be fumbling around? In 100 years' time? And when, eventually, it tells us how it as done, what new esape route will the Creationists have to hunt for?

This makes sense. In a way because of monotheism, god himself is the scarce resource. In other cultures because of polytheism, there was no scarcity of gods. Take the Romans for example. When they conquered new lands they would simply introduce the pantheon of the conquered peoples into their own pantheon. Thus Zeus and Jupiter are the same god (IIRC). There was no war of replacing Zeus with Jupiter; it was all syncreticism. On the other hand, when the Greeks conquered Judea (the Jews), they tried to replace YHWH with Zeus and a rebellion broke out. The result of this rebellion is the celebration of Hanukkah when the Jews drove out the Greek desecration. . . .As for me I'm past the (mostly lame) arguments and insist on actual evidence.

Purely logical arguments cannot prove the existence of anything. They need some sort of premises to work from, and we can only get those premises from evidence.

If God actually existed, and was benevolent and powerful (as he is usually described), then he would participate in communication in a manner that is as clear as my communications with other humans. He would NOT communicate in a way that is impossible to distinguish from my own random thoughts. . . . .
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by mazaje(m): 1:51am On Apr 16, 2010
Deep Sight:

Atheism is stupidity but belief in some form of god that you just recently created in your own mind isn't stupidity eh?. . .Interesting. . . .The problem with all of you and your various theistic hypothesis is that we know that all your god concepts were created by you. . .You created the oneness of infinity didn't you? The ancient Jews created the concept of Yahweh, Muhammed and his cronies created allah just like the ancient greeks and egyptians created, zeus, ra and all the other pantheons they used to worship. . . .For example Allah never said poo in the koran. It's 4th-hand reporting if you leave in the supernatural beings from allah to gabriel to mohammed to those who wrote it down and collected it (the editors). . . . .Take away the supernatural and you're left with Mo' and the editors, either lying or deluded about these beings.

I take away the supernatural because I see no evidence of its existence. Humans said what's in the koran and all other religious text, for their own reasons. "God said" means nothing other than "I want you to believe" and until you or anybody produce a god to speak for itself, I'm not interested in "God said". Its just some crazy delusion I tell you. . . 

noetic16:

No need for the apologies . .  ,  that which u said is a LEGENDARY FACT.  grin

What is it with theist agreeing with each other even though their beliefs are completely opposite and cancel each other out?. . . .Christopher Hitchens often brings up this issue when noticing that religious people (or groups) will stick up for each other even when their religions are totally contradictory to one another. It's like some weird GAME that's being played and a player can understand and sympathize another player, even if they have very different approaches to the game. . . . grin
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by Nobody: 8:10am On Apr 16, 2010
Atheism is complete stupidity&absolute ignorance.
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by KunleOshob(m): 8:42am On Apr 16, 2010
It still beats my imagination why any sane right thinking person would come to the conclusion that there is no God despite all the abundant evidence around us.
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by karo93: 8:56am On Apr 16, 2010
to me atheism is foolishness!

you could hate God,say he is wicked,say he doesn't help people and doesn't care even say his ways are not right and worship satan but to say he doesnt exist is this foolish.

a piece of moulded clay says he is made from clay and that his beautiful patterns were made by clay while another says he was made by a man using clay.

why do atheist find it hard to believe that God isn't behind everything the scientists discover?there is no evidence to show that he is not.

stop this foolishness and even if you wont worship him at least know that he exist!

it is foolish to assume something just came about because no matter the most minute thing that expanded and became complex to form the world we have to know that it was put there by someone.
things dont just happen!
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by nopuqeater: 9:10am On Apr 16, 2010
We can understand the stance of the atheists. I just dont understand the position of those who say they belief in God. But what is it that makes these "believers" make their God multipersonality Entity; one a human being hung, another a ghost docile and the last a revered father who cant act alone as Complete Supreme Creator without partnership with the other two?
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by wirinet(m): 9:15am On Apr 16, 2010
It is amazingly shocking that full grown men living in the 20th century can believe such outlandish things like Gods.  Some believe their God is three in one or it it one in three, there even believe one of the three came as a human being suffer,beaten and be killed by mere men, in order for the other part of himself to forgive mankind, even though he can not actually die.

The other religions are just a preposterous, they are mere political tools of subjugation and exploitation of fellow human beings.

Religious people especially the Abrahamic  variation, is close to mass hysteria mixed with psychosis. The greatest plague that has afflicted mankind and still afflict mankind is Religion and it destructive, wicked, egocentic and intolerant Gods.
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by jesus3: 9:16am On Apr 16, 2010
nopuqeater:

We can understand the stance of the atheists. I[b] just dont understand the position of those who say they belief in God. But what is it that makes these "believers" [/b]make their God multipersonality Entity; one a human being hung, another a ghost docile and the last a revered father who cant act alone as Complete Supreme Creator without partnership with the other two?

whats the meaning of this? we are talking about atheists what has this rubbish u posted got to do with the topic?
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by karo93: 9:18am On Apr 16, 2010
@ nopuqeater
let me break down their belief for you;the one that died is different from the one he was always praying to.

in fact in their opinion there is no one God but different forms that make a Godhead[i dont believe this]

that was why jesus had someone to cry and pray to.
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by karo93: 9:23am On Apr 16, 2010
@wirinet
i do not advocate that you must worship God infact you can damn him but to say he doesn't exist is the pinnacle of foolishness
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by Nobody: 9:28am On Apr 16, 2010
karo93:

@ nopuqeater
let me break down their belief for you;the one that died is different from the one he was always praying to.

in fact in their opinion there is no one God but different forms that make a Godhead[i dont believe this]

that was why jesus had someone to cry and pray to.

this lady , u ve started with ur confusion theory again
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by wirinet(m): 9:47am On Apr 16, 2010
karo93:

@wirinet
i do not advocate that you must worship God infact you can damn him but to say he doesn't exist is the pinnacle of foolishness

I for one had never advocated that you stop worshiping your God, and you can praise him/her/it till eternity, but to worship an imaginary entity with no definition, which you have never seen or heard, but depend on the stories and account of unknown people from another civilization, age and time, is the height of delusion and psychosis.
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by Nobody: 9:53am On Apr 16, 2010
wirinet:

I for one had never advocated that you stop worshiping your God, and you can praise him/her/it till eternity, but to worship an imaginary entity with no definition, which you have never seen or heard, but depend on the stories and account of unknown people from another civilization, age and time, i[b]s the height of delusion and psychosis. [/b]

What then can u call atheist that says theres no God without being able to proof his non Existence?
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by wirinet(m): 10:09am On Apr 16, 2010
toba:

What then can u call atheist that says theres no God without being able to proof his non Existence?

Please listen to your self, you guy keep regurgitating ridiculous arguments. How can you prove non existence of anything. I you can, then please prove the non existence of vampires, santa claus and Jupiter (the God), while at it have a go at proving the non existence of aliens from the Andromeda galaxy, a 10th planet in the solar system and a civilization living in the centre of the sun.
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by noetic16(m): 10:57am On Apr 16, 2010
mazaje:

@ OP so the fact that Anthony Flew accepted that their might be some kind of designed to the universe means that atheism is wrong and christianity right eh?. . . .By the way Anthony Flew never accepted that the christian god or any of the man made gods out there was real, He was willing to accept some form of a deist god. . . ,

unfortunately, Anthony Flew's soul is LOST forever in eternal damnation. what makes me smile is the fact that he at least acknowledged his ignorance and attempted to make remedy . . . . .but rather unfortunately he did not accept JC as his Lord.

What would a convincing argument for God's existence be like since there are so many god concept out there? Depends which "god" you're talking about. Most "god" concepts are either logically incoherent or cognitively vacuous and don't even require a preponderance of evidence to prove their non-existence. . . .Even christianity has many different versions  including some that were wiped out (such as the Gnostics, whose god was quite different). There is no one god even in christianity, but a multiple of ideas of this god that people are endlessly and frivolously trying to reconstruct based on some scriptures that were written by unknown men that also had different views of they god they were talking about.

There u go again, running around in circle. The subject of this thread has NOT been the many interpretations/concept of God. . .but the existence of a creator who Anthony flew just attested to.

The way atheists run around introducing anything to support their delusion is just not fascinating. The obvious questions are
1. how does the complexity of the solar system not require the need for a creator?
2. does the composition of the universe not attest to the existence of a super-intelligent creator?
3. the human DNA composition in its uniqueness, does it not attest to a superior design/designer?
4. can life as we see it today come from a dead matter? when did this matter live?
5. why is there no intelligent theory to substitute the genesis account of creation?

Believers sometimes complain that atheists seem to accept no argument whatsoever for God's existence, and that they've already decided beforehand that God doesn't exist. Though to be honest, it seems like theists have accepted beforehand that God exists, but let's leave that for the moment.

So let us discuss: What would a convincing argument for God's existence be like? How could its veracity be established?

Most theist arguments are of this form:

1. There is something we don't have an explanation for.
2. Put God as the explanation.
3. Therefore, God exists.

the above tends to paint believers as bunch of ignorant dudes who are so lazy that they had rather post God as the answer of all intellectually challenging posers. this is FAR from the truth.

There is an explanation for the universe. That explanation is called the creation story. It explains how the intelligent universe we reside in was made by a super-intelligent being. The rationality of the story is evidenced by the inability of science and doubters to present a more plausible explanation for the existence/beginning of life/universe.

Man has made tremendous progress in discovering answers to so many things and the answers keep disproving the existence of the man made ideas of their various gods. . . . .Natural phenomena are witnessed and studied all the time. Evidence for natural phenomena is abundant. A universe containing or beginning with the supernatural is an assumption.

No it is NOT. I think it is quite dumb to state that the universe came out of nothing. or to state that life began from dead micro-organisms. what u call the supernatural is an intelligent creator, whose account of creation is still the most plausible.

If u can produce a more plausible theory/concept for the origin of life/universe . .  ,   .then I will question the rationality of my faith.

There is no evidence for supernatural phenomena, and when alleged supernatural phenomena is studied a natural explanation is found, Issac Newton looked at the constellations and could not come up with any explanation for what kept the planets together around the sun in orbit and concluded that it was god that held them together. . .Now we know that no god actually hold the planets in orbit and have developed very good explanation for that  . . . . .Creationists embrace a belief system which rules out any other explanation - no matter what. . . . . .

There are loads of evidences. The issue is do u subscribe to this evidences/experiences?

Genesis is right. End of story. . . . . .No matter that Creatiionists are unable to produce any historical, geographical, geological, archaeological, biological, paleontological or cosmological evidence which substantiates anything in Genesis and[b] is accepted as valid by non-Creationists[/b].

grin Anthony Flew just accepted the evidences. . .what are waiting for.

And in 50 years' time, will science still be fumbling around? In 100 years' time? And when, eventually, it tells us how it as done, what new esape route will the Creationists have to hunt for?

grin science has been trying to for over 1000 years.  . . . ,  science will keep "trying". . . .and u will have to face the wrath of the  God u denied in eternity.

Purely logical arguments cannot prove the existence of anything. They need some sort of premises to work from, and we can only get those premises from evidence.

complex and uniqueness of DNA, intelligent design of the universe, the impossibility of dead organisms to give birth to life.
Bro, there are more than enough premises. . .  . , the problem is that u have a closed and dogmatic mind.

If God actually existed, and was benevolent and powerful (as he is usually described), then he would participate in communication in a manner that is as clear as my communications with other humans. He would NOT communicate in a way that is impossible to distinguish from my own random thoughts. . . . .

God is not bound by your wishes. God has expressed His liberty and has chosen to communicate with u, using the bible. The onus is on u to either believe it or disbelieve it.
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by noetic16(m): 11:11am On Apr 16, 2010
wirinet:

It is amazingly shocking that full grown men living in the 20th century can believe such outlandish things like Gods.  Some believe their God is three in one or it it one in three, there even believe one of the three came as a human being suffer,beaten and be killed by mere men, in order for the other part of himself to forgive mankind, even though he can not actually die.

The other religions are just a preposterous, they are mere political tools of subjugation and exploitation of fellow human beings.

Religious people especially the Abrahamic  variation, is close to mass hysteria mixed with psychosis. The greatest plague that has afflicted mankind and still afflict mankind is Religion and it destructive, wicked, egocentic and intolerant Gods.

1. Last time I checked, we are in the 21st century and not the 20th grin

2. Sir, this is NOT a xtian bashing thread. so it does not matter how "contradicting" u find the concept of God. the question is that. . . .does the complex intelligent nature of the universe, DNA and life support the existence of a super-intelligent creator?
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by noetic16(m): 11:14am On Apr 16, 2010
wirinet:

Please listen to your self, you guy keep regurgitating ridiculous arguments. How can you prove non existence of anything. I you can, then please prove the non existence of vampires, santa claus and Jupiter (the God), while at it have a go at proving the non existence of aliens from the Andromeda galaxy, a 10th planet in the solar system and a civilization living in the centre of the sun.

Non-existence should be provable if a belief-system is involved. xtians are not subject to believing or disbelieving the existence of santa-claus, vampires and jupiters . . . . .they are just not mentioned.

But atheism is defined as the belief in the non-existence of God. This belief should be backed by proof else it is irrational. So, where is ur proof/evidence that God does not exist?
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by Nobody: 11:39am On Apr 16, 2010
wirinet:

noetic16:

Non-existence should be provable if a belief-system is involved. xtians are not subject to believing or disbelieving the existence of santa-claus, vampires and jupiters . . . . .they are just not mentioned.

But atheism is defined as the belief in the non-existence of God. This belief should be backed by proof else it is irrational. So, where is your proof/evidence that God does not exist?

wirinet kindly answer to the above
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by wirinet(m): 11:44am On Apr 16, 2010
noetic16:

1. Last time I checked, we are in the 21st century and not the 20th  grin

2. Sir, this is NOT a xtian bashing thread. so it does not matter how "contradicting" u find the concept of God. the question is that. .  .  .does the complex intelligent nature of the universe, DNA and life support the existence of a super-intelligent creator?

My apologies, it is the 21st century, it was an error due to my working and trying to post at the same time.

Noetic, i honestly do not find pleasure in religious arguments, like political arguments, it always leads to a dead end. Each person is caged in his mental universe and anything outside universe is forbidden no matter how logical or obvious it is.
The only time i feel compulsion to respond to post is when someone arrogantly attempts to denigrate others because they hold a completely different view from their acquired beliefs. They then exhibit a feeling of being special and others less than special, or they take on a moral high ground and see any other opinion immoral. That is why i have an aversion (apologies to davidylan) for religious fundamentalists.

I wish they can be contented and satisfied with their personal beliefs and allow other to their personal beliefs no matter how ridiculous it might sound. If a person like let him take a piece of stone and decides to make that a representation of his God, it is his/her right. But it should not lead to hatred, bigotry and discrimination.

I know they is a lot of resentment for atheists, and some tend to view them as less that humans and not worthy to live. The truth is that atheist cannot be wished away, except you want them to go underground as was the case of Christianity in the beginning.  

Noetic, you cannot build a religious cage and expect everybody to trap that person one step at a time. You first ask a person to enter the theist trap by believing in the existence of Gods, then you steer the person to believe in your own particular God, then to your own particular denomination as opposed to Cele or Catholic, and finally you want the person to have your own interpretation of your denominational views. In fact you want other people to become you before you are comfortable interacting with them.

Accept people for what they are, your beliefs is not superior to that of the Buddhist or Ifa worshipper. Every body holds a belief that is in harmony with himself.
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by karo93: 11:56am On Apr 16, 2010
@wirinet
once again you miss my point. all i want you to do is to acknowledge that the world and its inhabitants could not have come about withouth the coordination of a higher power because even the most minute thing that expanded and became complex to form the world we have to know that it was put there by someone and that someone is GOD.

what i call stupidity is believing that something physical came out of nowhere and started becoming complex!

for instance;
a piece of moulded clay says he is made from clay and that his beautiful patterns were made by clay while another says he was made by a man using clay.

wont you call the first piece "foolish"?well,thats how you atheist are!
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by wirinet(m): 12:00pm On Apr 16, 2010
noetic16:

But atheism is defined as the belief in the non-existence of God. This belief should be backed by proof else it is irrational. So, where is your proof/evidence that God does not exist?

You are being economical with the truth here (notice, i did not say that you are lying). Christians definitely do not believe in the existence of Santa Claus, Jupiter, Mars, Thor, Odin, Venus, etc, if you doubt ask a professing Christian.

This your non - existence argument is baffling. So you are telling me that all that is needed for you to believe anything is a proof of non existence of that think. Meaning you accept the existence of a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow because you cannot prove its non existence, or you accept the existence of the  loch ness monster roaming around the little Scottish river, because with all the years of search by so many, with highly sophisticated equipment, nobody has been able to prove its existence or non existence.
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by wirinet(m): 12:14pm On Apr 16, 2010
karo93:

@wirinet
once again you miss my point. all i want you to do is to acknowledge that the world and its inhabitants could not have come about withouth the coordination of a higher power because even the most minute thing that expanded and became complex to form the world we have to know that it was put there by someone and that someone is GOD.

what i call stupidity is believing that something physical came out of nowhere and started becoming complex!

for instance;

wont you call the first piece "foolish"?well,thats how you atheist are!

First and foremost, i do not have to acknowledge anything just because you have acknowledged it. It should not bother you whatever i choose to acknowledge.

I acknowledge that it is highly possible that complexity of life on the planet do not necessarily require higher power, or that higher power is a person like me with one head, two eyes, a but to sit on a golden throne, and in possession of human emotions and frailties like love, hate, jealousy, anger, pleasure, etc.

I acknowledge that the universe is a very impersonal place, it is not partial to a particular wish or need.

Also i think it is more silly to  Acknowledge that piece of molded clay was made by another potter, when we do not have the faintest idea what a potter is, have have never seen, heard or interacted directly with the potter and besides we do not even know who molded the potter himself.

If my acknowledgments make you uncomfortable, than i am very sorry.
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by noetic16(m): 12:15pm On Apr 16, 2010
wirinet:

My apologies, it is the 21st century, it was an error due to my working and trying to post at the same time.

I was only pulling ur legs  cheesy . . . . . .I knew twas an error.

Noetic, i honestly do not find pleasure in religious arguments, like political arguments, it always leads to a dead end. Each person is caged in his mental universe and anything outside universe is forbidden no matter how logical or obvious it is.
The only time i feel compulsion to respond to post is when someone arrogantly attempts to denigrate others because they hold a completely different view from their acquired beliefs. They then exhibit a feeling of being special and others less than special, or they take on a moral high ground and see any other opinion immoral. That is why i have an aversion (apologies to davidylan) for religious fundamentalists.

I wish they can be contented and satisfied with their personal beliefs and allow other to their personal beliefs no matter how ridiculous it might sound. If a person like let him take a piece of stone and decides to make that a representation of his God, it is his/her right. But it should not lead to hatred, bigotry and discrimination.

1. what u have NOT done is to separate the "belief" from the "person". What u consider hatred, bigotry and discrimination (while subject to debate) are the inherent parts of a belief system. take for instance the xtian belief that all those who do not acknowledge JC would spend eternity in hell . . . . if I say that to you. . . .you might consider it as hatred, but as a matter of fact, its just my belief and not a hatred for urself. As I am commanded to show u love regardless of ur beliefs.
The case of the jewish people is also interesting. . . . .many people tend to see Jehovah as a jewish "god" and hold xtian beliefs as discriminatory. but looking at the issue here on the face value, it is not the jewish people that matter (cos there is nothing unique, special or different about them) but the PROMISE the carry/bear from God transferred from Abraham. anyone could interpret this to mean discrimination or bigotry on the part of God, but in literal terms it is NOT.

2. we all have been discriminated against in one way or the other where we find ourselves as minors or in the minority. This discrimination does not IMO define Christianity . . . .as everyone (atheists and theists) are guilty of these abysmal acts.  

I know they is a lot of resentment for atheists, and some tend to view them as less that humans and not worthy to live. The truth is that atheist cannot be wished away, except you want them to go underground as was the case of Christianity in the beginning.  

I can speak for myself. I do not view atheists as less than humans or in any derogatory form . . . .and I dont think Davidlylan, Olaadegbu and other theists do so.

If however u are to be honest, u would agree that atheists on this forum tend to perceive themselves as a bunch of super-intelligent beings whose intellectual superiority is influenced by their inability to accommodate a God/gods in the egoic postures. This has been found to be false and has also caused resentment from some theists.

Atheism is just a belief system influenced by a mis-interpretation of obvious evidences that attest to the existence of a creator. atheism cannot be shifted underground, but from time to time we will continue to highlight the innuendoes, inconsistencies and obvious fallacies in the atheistic arguments. the onus remains with each individual atheist/theist to examine his/her belief system, rationalize them and stick with the truth.

Noetic, you cannot build a religious cage and expect everybody to trap that person one step at a time. You first ask a person to enter the theist trap by believing in the existence of Gods, then you steer the person to believe in your own particular God, then to your own particular denomination as opposed to Cele or Catholic, and finally you want the person to have your own interpretation of your denominational views. In fact you want other people to become you before you are comfortable interacting with them.

There is IMO no theist trap here. true there are a billion gods but there is ONLY one true God who made the heaven and earth. This thread does not attempt to establish that all other gods are false. . . . .but the rationale is that can there be a uniquely constructed universe like ours without a super-intelligent being behind it?

There are deists like DeepSight who belief in the existence of a creator but does not Worship Him  . . . .so also are a billion Catholics and another billion muslims and many heretics like the CEC dudes who deceive themselves into believing that they are worshipping God. But the point is that both the catholics, muslims and heretics believe in a creator.  So the belief in a creator is not on its own a theist trap, but just the result of rational and intellectual exploration of undeniable evidences.

Accept people for what they are, your beliefs is not superior to that of the Buddhist or Ifa worshipper. Every body holds a belief that is in harmony with himself.  

I do accept people for who they are. but as for beliefs . .  . lets wait till judgement to see whose is superior.
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by noetic16(m): 12:23pm On Apr 16, 2010
wirinet:

You are being economical with the truth here (notice, i did not say that you are lying). Christians definitely do not believe in the existence of Santa Claus, Jupiter, Mars, Thor, Odin, Venus, etc, if you doubt ask a professing Christian.

I am a self-professing Christian . . , and I do answer for myself.
A. Santa-Claus is the name of the xmas gift costume/personality that gives gifts to kids. This does not warrant a belief/disbelief, since the santa-claus xmas character is a human. do I have to believe/disbelieve santa-claus exists?

B. Mars, jupiter and venus are the names of planets. do I have to believe/disbelieve they exist?

C. I have no idea what Odin and Thor means. Do I have to believe/disbelieve they exist?

Submissively . . . .These names are symbolically irrelevant and as such do not warrant to be involved in my belief system. I am not subject to believing in their existence or not.

This your non - existence argument is baffling. So you are telling me that all that is needed for you to believe anything is a proof of non existence of that think. Meaning you accept the existence of a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow because you cannot prove its non existence, or you accept the existence of the  loch ness monster roaming around the little Scottish river, because with all the years of search by so many, with highly sophisticated equipment, nobody has been able to prove its existence or non existence.

No . . , all I need to believe in the existence of anything is a proof of its existence. Same goes for disbelief . . . . that way I am able to construct meaningful arguments to back up my beliefs.
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by DeepSight(m): 1:08pm On Apr 16, 2010
Wirinet -

Please note carefully the distinction involved here -

Being an ATHEIST DOES NOT INVOLVE MERELY REFUSING TO WORSHIP GOD.

I personally do not believe in conventional notions of worship.

I believe in living life to the fullest in harmony and peace. I regard that as all the worship required.

The issue is not the worship of God but the EXISTENCE of an ULTIMATE UNCAUSED CAUSE called God.

Our assertion is that to be an atheist: namely to deny the EXISTENCE of such a supreme cause is ridiculous -

. . .Because the reverse simply means that everything sprang suddenly and pointlessly out of nothing.

That, I submit, is worse than magic.
Re: An Atheist Dumps His Ignorance by mazaje(m): 1:51pm On Apr 16, 2010
noetic16:

unfortunately, Anthony Flew's soul is LOST forever in eternal damnation. what makes me smile is the fact that he at least acknowledged his ignorance and attempted to make remedy . . . . .but rather unfortunately he did not accept JC as his Lord.

The problem is that you are just revealing what your god or belief is. . .Your god and you religion are both fear. . You can twist and say what ever you want but the FACT is you worship nothing but fear. . .The imaginary god that you will love to see punish those that do not accept your myths does NOT exist. . .all that exist are your twisted, bizarre and ridiculous imaginations and wishful thoughts. . . .Anthony flew is dead and gone and there is NO damnation waiting for him any where because he disbelieves in the obvious LIES and MYTHS of ancient people he does not even know. . ,

There u go again, running around in circle. The subject of this thread has NOT been the many interpretations/concept of God. . .but the existence of a creator who Anthony flew just attested to.

The existence of a creator is possible because we know very little about the universe. . .The universe is NOT created by any of the man made gods people worship. . . .What has the tribal god that WAS created by the ancient Jews according to the culture and tradition got to do with the universe, A god that CLEARLY show that he does not even know anything about the universe we live in. . .Any number of natural causes could be postulated. Collisions of other universes, black holes creating new universes, there could be hundreds of reasons. And if there are other universes, what if those universes were caused by interactions of universes that existed prior to them. Where does the concept of an all loving, all powerful God that cares ONLY for the tiny group of people on a small planet of a small solar system, in the outer edges of a small galaxy in the middle of hundreds of billions of galaxies, and possibly in the middle of hundreds and billions of universes? To think that there is a God that created all that for just us? I don't know how someone can maintain that viewpoint. It's just idiocy.

Your mind is acting as if it KNOWS our visible universe is all that exists. This is just foolish. If a man was born and raised on a deserted island, never having seen another person, would he be right in assuming he was the only person on the entire planet? While a closed mind may say yes, an open mind would entertain the possibility that they were not the only one. This is exactly what your mind is doing. It is closed to the possibilities that ours is not the only universe, simply because that seriously fits badly with your preconceived notion about our own universe.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

CD/DVD Duplicators For Churches/seminars For Sales / Walid Shoebat - Explains The Real Motivations Behind The Palestinian Struggle / No One Goes To Heaven, No One Goes To Hell.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 162
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.