Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,306 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:12 AM

Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription (22730 Views)

New Naira Notes Ready September Ending – CBN / New Naira Notes! Arabic Is The Reason? / The New Naira Coins And Polymer Notes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by sisimose(f): 1:05pm On Mar 13, 2007
this whole thing is now annoying me now, so thinking of it, if they going to be angry about the change to the naira note, that means they had in their heads that Nigeria was strictly a northern state or what? abeg it's time many northerners get real and get some education and stop acting like ancient blade swinging jihadists. abegi
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Nobody: 3:29pm On Mar 13, 2007
nuru:

Why would the hatred some of you have for Islam drive you this much. If suggestions of breaking up were to come from a professed Muslim, I know what the likes of Davidylan would have written here. Cant you be just tolerant a bit. OK, the Muslims have not gone on any rampage since the new notes were introduced, yet you people write with so much hatred. And in any case, you will be the first to say when someone slaps your first cheek, turn the other. Why must a reasonable person abuse men that are old enough to be their grandfathers. It's not in our culture and I think forum patrons should mind their use of language.

Ok ok Nuru Nuru Nuru!!! Calm down, this is getting more and more annoying.

What do you mean by "Ok muslims have not gone on rampage since the new notes were introduced"? What gives northern muslims the right to go on "rampage" for any slight reason no matter how stupid and unreasonable? Does the country belong to them only? Why did the south not go on rampage when those idolatrous inscriptions were put their in the first place?

Who are these"rampaging barbarians" who think they have the monopoly of violence?
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by sisimose(f): 3:41pm On Mar 13, 2007
very right David
And not just about the naira note too. if the whole of Nigeria adopted their preferred response to change , then Nigeria would have been wiped off the face of Africa. haba.
Too much why must they always resort to violence? wetin? I am quite a neutral person in such matters but i have seen too much now, and i fear if this country divides it will start from the north with thier intolerance.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by donnymikky(m): 3:51pm On Mar 13, 2007
NURU!!shocked NURU!! shocked shocked NURU!!! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by sirpee50(m): 4:07pm On Mar 13, 2007
If any one sees the removal of the Arabic write ups on the new Naira as an ommission, he should be referred to as an Anatima. The board that agreed to remove that strange simbole from our Naira notes are God's sent. Bravoooooooooooo
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by nuru(m): 4:12pm On Mar 13, 2007
Some people wishing Muslims to go on rampage are disappointed that they have not done so. Shame on you.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Nobody: 4:32pm On Mar 13, 2007
nuru:

Some people wishing Muslims to go on rampage are disappointed that they have not done so. Shame on you.

Disappointed that some animals have not done the usual! Sent us back to the stone age with their infamous barbaric bloodletting over issues that have nothing to do with them?
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Nobody: 5:34pm On Mar 13, 2007
nuru:

I would be ashamed to even mention this,if I were you.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Quitestorm(m): 6:28pm On Mar 13, 2007
It's rather unfortunate that our leaders' opinions are regarded as a collective representation of the Hausa/Muslim community.And while I don't see much sense in boycotting the new notes based on the removal of the Arabic inscriptions ,I simply would be lying if I say that I'm not disappointed @ the way Hausa people are refered to,using derogatory terms, on this board.Actually,I'm very disappointed .I've observed too many threads in which the Hausas are regarded with a ridculous contempt.And with so much dark conviction.I happen to belong to several boards,many Hause dominated, & I haven't come accross this many people looking down on Igbos,Yorubas etc condescendingly. I don't see a unified Nigeria in any stance,unless,ofcourse when it comes to football.And to think that people on here see thierselves as "open minded",
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Nobody: 6:41pm On Mar 13, 2007
Sorry to hurt your feelings quietstorm,
but may we ask why your region has consistently brought this nation to its knees? Would we be wrong to assert WITH PROOF that the death knell on Nigeria's progress was sounded in 1914 when north and south were lumped together?

My question: Of what purpose are the arabic inscriptions on the naira and why is that more important to your redundant sultan than the high levels of VVF, poverty, illiteracy, polio cases and intolerance ravaging the north?
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by ishmael(m): 7:12pm On Mar 13, 2007
You guys are too tribalistic. Why is it only the hausa muslims that are being attacked?? No one of you is attacking yoruba muslims with harsh words, or have you guys forgotten that Adegbite who also condemned the removal of the arabic letters on the naira note is also a muslim?? You call northerners illiterates and all sort of names, yet they have a good number of professors and Doctors who by virtue of politics occupy some of the big big government positions both in Nigeria and Abroad. Lets just leave those people (i mean the northerners or the hausas) alone and think of how to solve the problems in the niger-delta.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Nobody: 7:27pm On Mar 13, 2007
Unlike the "monolithic" north, Adegbite does not speak for southern muslims but his own pocket. Gani Fawehinmi is a well respected Yoruba muslim, i'm sure he would not have subscribed to the nonsense from the Sultan.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by TheOne2(m): 8:33pm On Mar 13, 2007
Nuru abeg, no mind all these people, dem no know wetin dem dey talk!!

Me i have just one question and it's retrospective. It has been bugging my mind since last year and now that I've met someone who can explain, I gladly grab the opportunity.

The question is: What exactly made northern Muslims attack southerners/Christians over the cartoons about Mohammed in Denmark? Are southerners related to the Danes? Or when the US attacked Ahghanistan, what concerns us as Nigerians that northerners would attack southerners because of this. Please believe me that I am not trivializing this issue, I've tried to make sense out of it but it doesn't just make sense. Is it a psychological thing? Or are northern Muslims reserved as the avenging force of the Muslim world?

Please help me out hennnn, God will bless you. I think I'm having some mental fatigue not being able to crack this since.

Thanks
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by demmy(m): 8:52pm On Mar 13, 2007
I can't believe you people are discussing this non story because the sultan never rejected the new notes. And I can see that the thread starter made no reference to any newspaper. So where did he get such news from?

Why are we still plague by rumor mongering in this information age?
[b]
Nigeria: Why New Currency Was Introduced, By Soludo

From This Day

http://allafrica.com/stories/200702190519.html

February 18, 2007
Posted to the web February 19, 2007

Muhammad Aminu
Sokoto

Governor, Central Bank of Nigeria, Professor Charles Soludo has described the recent removal of the Arabic inscription on the new notes as not targeted of any group, stating that the denominations were translated into Hausa, Ibo and Yoruba for easy identification and also to promote the Nigerian culture.

Soludo made this known, when he paid a courtesy visit to the Sultan in Sokoto.

According to him, the translation of the denominations into three major languages was aimed at promoting the cultural heritage of the country.

"We are here on a sensitisation campaign to enlighten the public on the new currency restructuring in the country which will be launched formally on Febuary 28, 2007. I will also like to inform you that the removal of the Arabic inscription on the notes is not targeted at any group or religion but rather to promote our language and cultural heritage".

"As you can see, Naira is the symbol of our nationalism and our pride. It is pertinent to let you understand that Arabic is not one of our national languages and it was inscribed on the notes forty years ago because the majority of people then, can read it in the northern part of the country to the detriment of their counterparts in the South.

"There is nothing as difficult as change because it is the only thing that is constant. Infact, the country has to grow and move forward and people will get accustomed to the innovation. So, we want Journalists to assist in enlightening the public on the new notes and the reforms going on especially the removal of the Arabic letters on the currency which is done to promote unity in diversity," he explained

Responding, the Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Muhammadu Saadu Abubakar, commended him for the banking reforms, which he said, has transformed the economy and financial landscape.

Said he: "I personally congratulate you for the wonderful reforms you have initiated in the financial sector which has made the Nigerian economy more viable."

"Reform is neccessary for development and progress.Thus, for a country to leapfrog and attain economic growth and prosperity, it requires change which is sometimes painful and against the normal way of doing things. Even here in the caliphate ,we know what reforms stands for and will strive to give our support to enable you achieve your goals".
[/b]
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Nobody: 8:59pm On Mar 13, 2007
Only in Nigeria would the CBN governor have to go and explain banking reforms to the sultan of Sokoto! Let the sultan stick with his traditional duties and stop meddling in official matters for which he knows next to nothing!
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Nobody: 9:55pm On Mar 13, 2007
davidylan:

Only in Nigeria would the CBN governor have to go and explain banking reforms to the sultan of Sokoto! Let the sultan stick with his traditional duties and stop meddling in official matters for which he knows next to nothing!

Exactly my point! why would the CBN governor pay him a visit to explain anything to him ?
Did Soludo also visit the Obi of Onitsha and the Nana of Itsekiri?
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by spicyronny(f): 10:03pm On Mar 13, 2007
it baffles me the level of ignorance and insensitivity of some of the able members of this website. and also the amount of inadequacy and how some of u guys just type without any previous knowledge of what is going on.
this in unacceptable in this age of computers, common guys, the little u can do 4 urself and ur braincells is to at least read abt things b4 opening ur mouth to say rubbish.
i don't know if it is lack of knowledge, jealousy or adult incompetency that bothers some of u , but when anything about Muslims are mentioned, all u unveil is negative energy, as the representative of this generation, i think the least we could try to do is make Nigeria/media a place for all religion and groups to feel safe and unantagonized. imagine somebody just posted a topic "without any legal evidence" and all u guys are already bashing Muslims and Hausa's like there is no tomorrow. Charles SOLUDO himself commented that the emir of sokoto is happy with the change and in the press release that follows, the emir of Sokoto said Reform is necessary for development and progress.Thus, for a country to leapfrog and attain economic growth and prosperity, it requires change which is sometimes painful and against the normal way of doing things. Even here in the caliphate ,we know what reforms stands for and will strive to give our support to enable you achieve your goals".
pls for the sake of our quote of arm of peace, love and unity. always approach a topic with open mind and stop being negative abt Muslims. and pls remember the simple principle of correlation which does not necessarily mean causation. the fact that some people find it disturbing that the Arabic is removed does not mean that all Muslims and Hausa's disagree and maybe u should try to read up on y they added Arabic in d first place then u will understand y some People are aggravated.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Mariory(m): 10:48pm On Mar 13, 2007
@spicyronny
Oh stop your shenanigans. How can the responses of the thread surprise you? Have you forgotten the Miss World pageant? Have you forgotten the Danish cartoon riots? We havn't.
And you open that mouth and attempt to put foward the notion that the previous posts were made out of "lack of knowledge" "jealousy" (Simply ridiculus!) or "adult incompetency".
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Nobody: 10:55pm On Mar 13, 2007
Dear madam spicyronny, a casual perusal through your post reveals a mind that is clouded by bias and devoid of critical analysis: Now let us go through your post. . .

spicyronny:

it baffles me the level of ignorance and insensitivity of some of the able members of this website. and also the amount of inadequacy and how some of u guys just type without any previous knowledge of what is going on.
If anything, we are more baffled at the level of ignorance and insensitivity shown by those in opposition to the removal of arabic inscriptions on the naira! It shows the amount of inadequacy of a section of this country who assume the monopoly of violence and have for the last 47 yrs held the rest of us to ransom!

spicyronny:

Charles SOLUDO himself commented that the emir of sokoto is happy with the change and in the press release that follows, the emir of Sokoto said Reform is necessary for development and progress.Thus, for a country to leapfrog and attain economic growth and prosperity, it requires change which is sometimes painful and against the normal way of doing things. Even here in the caliphate ,we know what reforms stands for and will strive to give our support to enable you achieve your goals".
Here is where we delve into murky waters. WHY DID CHARLES SOLUDA HAVE TO PROCEED TO EXPLAIN HIS BANKING REFORMS TO THE SULTAN OF SOKOTO? Did Soludo go to the Alake of Egbaland, Ooni of Ife, Obi of Onitsha to go and explain himself or do we assume that they know about the banking reforms that the sultan is not privy to?
What is the meaning of "the sultan of sokoto is happy with the change . . ."? Are we ruled by a presidential system of government or the sokoto caliphate? Why must every government official have to grovel at the feet of the sultan to explain government policies?
So if the sultan were not "happy about the change" we would all have had to change our reforms? Since when did government policy become subject to the "emotions" of the sultan?

spicyronny:

please for the sake of our quote of arm of peace, love and unity. always approach a topic with open mind and stop being negative about Muslims. and please remember the simple principle of correlation which does not necessarily mean causation. the fact that some people find it disturbing that the Arabic is removed does not mean that all Muslims and Hausa's disagree and maybe u should try to read up on y they added Arabic in d first place then u will understand y some People are aggravated.
Here again is another anathema? What right have some people to be "aggravated" about the removal of arabic inscriptions from the naira?
Is arabic a spoken language in Nigeria?
Have you asked yourself if some of us where not aggravated at having to spend naira notes with inscriptions that bore NO relevance to our culture, religion and history?

Perhaps many of us have yet to read our history books properly, maybe you can educate us on why the arabic was inscribed on the naira in the first place in 1973? Who was speaking arabic then and where? If your harebrained answer is that it was included so that rural hausa folks could understand the notes could you explain why yoruba language was not inscribed on the naira then to aid my grandmother who never went to school?
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Nobody: 11:14pm On Mar 13, 2007
spicyronny:

as the representative of this generation, i think the least we could try to do is make Nigeria/media a place for all religion and groups to feel safe and unantagonized.

shocked shocked shocked grin grin grin Dear Lord!!! Did you just type the highlighted above? If there is any group that has consistently made other groups and religions feel UNSAFE and ANTAGONIZED in their own country please look no further than your northern brethren.
Have you forgotten the igbo progroms? What of the Mohammedan cartoons? The Borno Taliban?
What of states like Zamfara where churches are not given land to build?

And you dare accuse us of "bashing the hausa"?
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by spicyronny(f): 3:40am On Mar 14, 2007
first of all Mr davidylan, maybe u should try and read the history of the federal republic of Nigeria, that should shed some light on ur darkened mind.
and to show ur "adult incompetency" u immediately assumed that i am Hausa, sorry to dissappoint u Mr but i am a full blooded Yoruba.OK!.
and hei why did soludo have to explain? because of the simple principle of accountability, did he go to all the pple u mentioned? no, because their language was not removed from the naira note. pls for the love of GOD free ur mind and think. this isn't a Muslim Christian thing, this is an issue of Nigeria been for everybody pls stop intimidating the Hausa's and the Muslims. u complain abt all this fight, again i will let u read up abt how many innocent people christians have killed all over the world in the name of GOD. are all of us christians tagged killers "NO". IF U REALLY LOVE NIGERIA, THINK OF A SOLUTION FOR THE 60% OF OUR POPULATION LIVING BELOW POVERTY LINE AND STOP THIS CHRISTIans / MUSLIM MADNESS. and hei u asked y soludo had to explain to the sultan? same reason y he issued a press release abt y the other 271 dialects and languages in Nigeria were not included on the naira note.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by BlackMamba(m): 4:46am On Mar 14, 2007

this isn't a Muslim Christian thing, this is an issue of Nigeria been for everybody[b] please stop intimidating the Hausa's and the Muslims. [/b]u complain about all this fight, again i will let u read up about how many innocent people christians have killed all over the world in the name of GOD.

You must be out of your fricking mind.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by Nobody: 5:20am On Mar 14, 2007
spicyronny:

hei why did soludo have to explain? because of the simple principle of accountability, did he go to all the people u mentioned? no, because their language was not removed from the naira note.

grin grin grin So yoruba and igbo were inscribed on the naira you were using prior to 2006?
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by 9ja4eva: 5:35am On Mar 14, 2007
They better not
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by ishmael(m): 7:06am On Mar 14, 2007
davidylan:

Unlike the "monolithic" north, Adegbite does not speak for southern muslims but his own pocket. Gani Fawehinmi is a well respected Yoruba muslim, i'm sure he would not have subscribed to the nonsense from the Sultan.

And who has told you that the sultan is not speaking for his own pocket?? Please i want to hear you curse and insult Adegbite on this forum, else i will take it that you are being tribalistic or regionalistic.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by spicyronny(f): 7:50am On Mar 14, 2007
hei u that said am out of my mind, it is very obvious u are either ignorant or u lack basic knowledge of the topic. and mr davidlan or watever ur name is i didn't say the languages were on there, i said they didn't go to d pple because d change did not affect them or better said d change was not in relation to there language.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by nuru(m): 8:10am On Mar 14, 2007
Spicyronny,

May God bless you. What you are telling them is exactly what I have also been trying to tell them. But some people are blinded and deafened by prejudice.

In any case, this country need to move forward and we all need to recognise and respect our differences and play more on what can unify us and bring progress.

I hope Nairaland users can pick up this attitude.

Once again, May God bless the peace lovers.
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by TheOne2(m): 9:15am On Mar 14, 2007
Nuru,

abeg address my post to you now?
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by LoverBwoy(m): 9:23am On Mar 14, 2007
ishmael:

And who has told you that the sultan is not speaking for his own pocket?? Please i want to hear you curse and insult Adegbite on this forum, else i will take it that you are being tribalistic or regionalistic.

seems you just noticed wink
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by LoverBwoy(m): 9:24am On Mar 14, 2007
The one
do you expect a yoruba man to answer questions about what the northerners are doing? how the hell is he suppose to know undecided
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by otoidea(m): 9:26am On Mar 14, 2007
there are no bible verses/quotes on the notes either angry angry angry tongue
Re: Muslims Reject New Naira Notes: No Arabic Inscription by nyabinghi(m): 9:31am On Mar 14, 2007
Its so bad that some poeple are so biased that they can't see reason. How can a comment by an individual mean the generality of muslims sayings. I am a muslim and i am proud to say so. Tribalism and egoism has been the bane of Nigeria and i doubt if Nigeria will progress as a result. Why do we work on fridays and not sundays. If Nigeria is really a pluralistic environment. Not all hausas are muslims and not all yorubas are christians.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

Crypto Dilemma: Banking Public, Regulators Differ On Cryptocurrencies / Instagram beggar threatens to use juju on Hauwa Indimi / FG Inaugurates Gold Refinery, Boosts Small-scale Mining

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.