Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,217 members, 7,822,109 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:40 AM

Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy (14196 Views)

Dead Bodies Of Victims Of Shiites And Nigerian Soldiers Clash (photos) / FG And Nigerian Military Describe CNN Report On Boko Haram As Satanic / Nigeria's Middle-Class Increases By 28 percent!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by okooyinbo(m): 12:44pm On Apr 18, 2010

Dont worry am going back early next yr. . .
as for Nigeria,with or without Yar Adua we are moving on up. . .
If statistics dont matter, then why bother asking the question. . .

we are 32 in the world in terms of economic size, and frankly by 2015 i see us moving up to 26 position
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2001rank.html

P. s, Investors are not being driven away, its only a figment of your imagination
Go to Skyscrapercity.com
check out the Nigerian section and see the good things happening in terms of [b]FDI [/b]inflows
we were actually number 2 in Africa last yr, ahead of south africa by more than $5billion

Paddy,

could you elaborate on the highlighted word? I would like to know the break-ups of the foreign direct investment on sectoral basis. Where was the money being invested? I would also like to know how that has helped improve the economy of Nigeria generically, but especially our maufacturing base? Thank you.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Kobojunkie: 1:41pm On Apr 18, 2010
Pennywise:

I did not see the report (I hardly watch BBC anyway) but those gory photographs on NL pretty much says it all. I am a Nigerian who has lived in Nigeria all my life. I have not seen such scene anywhere in this country neither has anyone around me. Infact those imagery will shock any average Nigerian.

It is true there is some degree of hardship in this country but what the BBC sought to demonstrate through that documentary is misleading to say the least.

Some degree of Hardship? Are you too arrogant to see the lacking connection in your post? You state that you have NEVER seen this level of poverty before, meaning you are one of the priviledged FEW in Nigeria, yet you are quick to make the statements in bold?

What do you say to those who have CONFIRMED the existence of the situation which the BBC highlights in the videos? What do you say to those who grew up around this and are here on Nairaland confirming the truth in what we saw on BBC video?  Let me guess, they are deluded and never did grow up in these areas?
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by SwtzMinx(f): 2:10pm On Apr 18, 2010
.true talk!
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 3:52pm On Apr 18, 2010
Globalisation is here to stay whether people like the OP like it or not.

Of course there will always be economic nationalists who believe in nationalisation, government subsidies and high government tariffs in order to protect local industries but such policies have been proven to be failures.
The country has long-abandoned such unworkable policies starting from the oil price crisis of the mid-1980's
In that connection I have to say that the SAP progam of the Babangida regime in the mid 1980's was really responsible for opening up the Nigerian economy, and the sound macroeconomic policies of the Abacha regime really gave Nigeria's financial system some measure of stability.
So it is not totally correct to say that reforms started with the fourth republic. They have been ongoing for more than two decades now and they have already strarted bearing fruit.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 3:58pm On Apr 18, 2010
sulad82i:

As for me, I'm not expecting Nigeria to be well developed to the current state of a developed nation. All I need to see is the commitment and improvement of the economy that its moving in the right direction.

Nigeria's economy is slowly moving towards something we want, it might be slow but its picking up. Somethings are being done in the right way and that is a sign of progress in those areas. Little by little, I hope it spread to other parts of the economy like the law makers and law enforcers and law interpreters. Those people are very important in Nigeria cos if they do their job right, they will keep our money, rights, and life safe in all way possible.
You are making valid points there. I don't know how any sane person can reasonably expect Nigeria to have the kind of sophisticated integrated infrastructure which is available in the West. The important thing is that much needed infrastructural development is currently taking place.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Pennywise(m): 3:59pm On Apr 18, 2010
Kobojunkie:

What do you say to those who have CONFIRMED the existence of the situation which the BBC highlights in the videos? What do you say to those who grew up around this and are here on Nairaland confirming the truth in what we saw on BBC video?  Let me guess, they are deluded and never did grow up in these areas?
Dear Junkie,

Understand my post. I havent denied the existence of scavangers in Nigeria. What I mean is that we are not a country of scavangers even though there are scavangers in Nigeria.

If you can tell me what other Nigerian language you speak I may be able to get someone to help us b/c rt now I think I have a real and urgent problem.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Kobojunkie: 4:09pm On Apr 18, 2010
Pennywise:

Dear Junkie,

Understand my post. I havent denied the existence of scavangers in Nigeria. What I mean is that we are not a country of scavangers even though there are scavangers in Nigeria.

If you can tell me what other Nigerian language you speak I may be able to get someone to help us b/c rt now I think I have a real and urgent problem.
That is absurd! The BBC NEVER said anything about Nigeria being a country of scavengers, you came up with that all on your own in this post of yours. The Video is now online, take time to watch it. Mind you the video also documented lives of Meat Sellers in another area in Lagos. Let me guess, you are going to come back with “Nigerians are not a country of meat sellers ” even though there are meat sellers all over the country ?

This has nothing to do with language but you stating that
a) You have not seen ( probably not read any of the blogs on the video either) the production
b) Claiming because you have Not seen them means they do not exist

If this is about shame, I tell you I am more proud of the men in the video than I am of the many elite I have seen in that country/
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Pennywise(m): 4:28pm On Apr 18, 2010
It is not about shame, it is about perception.

I dont want a low ranking poorly paid ECO looking down at me when I disembark at Heathrow or JFK as someone coming from a country besieged by refuse b/c it is not true.

It depends on what you really want when you come to Nigeria. We have got life in abundance here. If it is refuse you want to look at, fine.

The only people who like to see such things told about Nigeria are a section of the white population b/c it makes them feel good abt themselves. Also you have some of our people who see this as an excuse for their continued enslavement, mental anguish untold hardship in the west rather than return home b/c there is suffering in Nigeria.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by olaolabiy: 4:47pm On Apr 18, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^
this pennywise is an idiot. his dad must be one of those holding nigeria back. or those who held us back. he is only concerned wha happens when he goes through heathrow and jfk. he is after his own self-esteem. he wants to preserve his big-manism and those of his parents. he wants to brag among his oyinbo friends while his family continues to hold nigeria back. may God speak for these scavengers.
idiot. OLE. AJIBOLE. OMO OLE.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 5:03pm On Apr 18, 2010
Paddy,

could you elaborate on the highlighted word? I would like to know the break-ups of the foreign direct investment on sectoral basis. Where was the money being invested? I would also like to know how that has helped improve the economy of Nigeria generically, but especially our maufacturing base? Thank you.

[b]FDI Inflows to Nigeria in the past 10yrs has mostly been into Oil. . . .Gas. . . .Telecommms, Nigerian Stock Exchange. . .Nigerian Banks. . .and Infrastructure
Every FDI u get helps to stabilize your local currency and at the same time stimulate growth
It is the opposite of capital outflows, so its a good thing

Also remember that nobody is forced to bring in their money
as u are trying to attract FDI inflows,all other 200+, countries in the world are trying to attract inflows into their economy. .
so its a function of the policies that Nigeria decides to push. . .

For example, if we get a good PIB bill. . .Then billions of dollars more will come into the Oil and gas Sector
If we decide to Liberalize power. . .Then u can imagine that some FDI will flow into the power sector

As for how FDI helps to improve the economy. .
heres a detailed research item by NCC(who are very competent),on the impact of mobile services in Nigeria
http://www.ncc.gov.ng/

Some key excerpts. , . .

Pyramid Research estimates that capital investments in mobile networks and operations have accounted
for 80% of total telecommunications foreign capital investments (a total of more than $12bn by the
middle of 2008) since the Nigerian government successfully liberalized the industry in 2001.
As of March 2010, the NCC reported $18bn in telecom sector CAPEX, $16bn of which is invested by
mobile operators.

The explosion of the mobile industry in Nigeria has resulted in a series of positive effects
across the economy ranging from investment in networks to the creation of employment
Transformational Role of Mobile Services

Mobile services have multiple positive effects in an economy, most notably in emerging markets. Their
economic benefits extend beyond the investment that network operators allocate to license fees, taxes
and network equipment and include the following factors:

End user spend money on mobile telecom services and devices allows a new industry to
flourish

Telecom operator spending on marketing, distribution, maintenance, training, support and
network enhancements create important benefits for all involved in the value chain

Mobile operators create employment, both direct and indirectly, and invest in the
development of the labor force.

Mobile services have a wide economic impact in a country, since they enable end users to
conduct their daily business in a more effective manner, reducing the time and cost of
transactions, improving access to markets, commoditizing information and generally allowing
businesses to operate more efficiently.

According to Pyramid’s estimates, the annual revenue from mobile services represents
between 2% and 7% of African countries’ Nominal GDP; in Nigeria this ratio is close to 4%

Mobile operators also contribute to the economy by directly and indirectly creating jobs to
provide and distribute their services; in Nigeria, we estimate there are as many as 3m
Transformational Role of Mobile Services
jobs related to this industry

There are several groups of jobs, which
can be divided into two subgroups, that Employment related to mobile sector In Nigeria, 2009
gravitate around mobile services:

The top category of indirect employment
encompasses equipment sales,
p y g ,
infrastructure deployment, advertising,
marketing and public relations as well as
security — workers involved in the
protection of base stations. Reportedly, in
2008 Zain employed as many as 8,000
security guards.

At the base of the pyramid, there are
mobile service resellers, recharge card
distributors, retailers, phone booth
operators as well as street vendors. The
so-called mini call centers consist of
simply one or a few mobile phones and
airtime bought in bulk from the operator.
Call center operators allow other people
to use the phone for a fee and quite
often will take a message, also for a fee.

PLS read further below. . .

Source: Pyramid Research

http://www.ncc.gov.ng/
[/b]
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Pennywise(m): 5:19pm On Apr 18, 2010
ola olabiy:

^^^^^^^^^^^
this pennywise is an idiot. his dad must be one of those holding nigeria back. or those who held us back. he is only concerned wha happens when he goes through heathrow and jfk. he is after his own self-esteem. he wants to preserve his big-manism and those of his parents. he wants to brag among his oyinbo friends while his family continues to hold nigeria back. may God speak for these scavengers.
idiot. OLE. AJIBOLE. OMO OLE.

I have no business with you. I deal only with legitimate and documented people like paddy lo and Kobojunkie. You are neither. You have only one antidote- and that is Immigration. Say all you want but If I get your real name kperen. That is the end.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 5:40pm On Apr 18, 2010
Pennywise:

I dont want a low ranking poorly paid ECO looking down at me when I disembark at Heathrow or JFK as someone coming from a country besieged by refuse b/c it is not true.

It depends on what you really want when you come to Nigeria. We have got life in abundance here. If it is refuse you want to look at, fine.

The only people who like to see such things told about Nigeria are a section of the white population b/c it makes them feel good abt themselves. Also you have some of our people who see this as an excuse for their continued enslavement, mental anguish untold hardship in the west rather than return home b/c there is suffering in Nigeria.
Yes it is true that sometimes perception colours reality. We can already see here how the airing of this documentary has given some uninformed but disgruntled elements in the diaspora the opportunity to launch very vitriolic attacks against the leaders of Nigeria.
The truth is that documentary does not reflect the recent infrastructural developments embarked upon by the Lagos State Government and more generally the strong growth in the non-oil sectors of the national economy,
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by debosky(m): 5:57pm On Apr 18, 2010
Pennywise:

Is your main grouse how the ECO is going to look at you?

ok - let's even accept that for a moment - WHY isn't there more news about the so called 'life in abundance' that is going on in Nigeria? We've seen stories of a new South Africa, we've seen stories of a new Ghana, but Nigeria continues to be covered by killings, worsening infrastructure and other ills.

You have to be in denial to fail to recognise the WORSENING of the living conditions of the majority of Nigerians. The fact that the minority who hold most of the wealth are enjoying 'life in abundance' doesn't change the sorry state of things in general.

Perception is NOT the problem. Land in Lagos and the Airport Road is a disgrace - is the road really bad or just my perception? Is the fact that we don't have security and we don't have power a matter of perception?? While Ghana has had years of uninterrupted power we can't still generate enough for basic household consumption never mind industrial and this is a matter of perception??
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by ziga: 6:08pm On Apr 18, 2010
debosky:

ok - let's even accept that for a moment - WHY isn't there more news about the so called 'life in abundance' that is going on in Nigeria? We've seen stories of a new South Africa, we've seen stories of a new Ghana, but Nigeria continues to be covered by killings, worsening infrastructure and other ills.

You have to be in denial to fail to recognise the WORSENING of the living conditions of the majority of Nigerians. The fact that the minority who hold most of the wealth are enjoying 'life in abundance' doesn't change the sorry state of things in general.

Perception is NOT the problem. Land in Lagos and the Airport Road is a disgrace - is the road really bad or just my perception? Is the fact that we don't have security and we don't have power a matter of perception?? While Ghana has had years of uninterrupted power we can't still generate enough for basic household consumption never mind industrial and this is a matter of perception??

We choose to see what we want to see. Its all a matter of perception.

Here is a link to see how some other people see things http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs-q-mdi_yw
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 6:15pm On Apr 18, 2010
debosky:

While Ghana has had years of uninterrupted power we can't still generate enough for basic household consumption never mind industrial and this is a matter of perception??
I am not aware that Nigeria is in competition with a country like Ghana, which notably is still very dependent on Western Aid just to balance its budget.
So lets not go off on a tangent there. There is no need to bring up such a country.

But you need to be more coherent and structured in your arguments. Where are your facts and figures otherwise it would be totally senseless just arguing here based on what images you have viewed in the almighty Western  media.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by debosky(m): 6:17pm On Apr 18, 2010
ziga:

We choose to see what we want to see. Its all a matter of perception.

Here is a link to see how some other people see things http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs-q-mdi_yw

If you live in Nigeria, kindly use your perception to convert the Lagos Airport Road into a bump less one and use perception to dissolve the armed robbers at your door.

Because some people can now go to the Palms (never mind they are a tiny fraction of the population) that should be the governing perception of Nigeria, not the awful daily realities faced by the majority of the people. Perception indeed. The more I see posts like these, the stronger the hypocrisy appears.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Pennywise(m): 6:18pm On Apr 18, 2010
debosky:

The state of the roads and other infrastructural challenges have been with us for a long time. You cannot undo overnight the damage of what essentially has been an undeclared war against the south by the Northern powers that be through the military. The economy through the limited deregulation we have had at the center has imparted positively in the lives of many.

Now if you remain fixated on the bad roads and rubbish of the kind bbc feeds you it will be impossible for you to see the wonderful things that people like Fashola, Ohakim etc are doing.

The economy is growing (the proffessionals will tell you that), dozens of Nigerian diasporans are coming back home (or is this bad judgement). We still have policy challenges but the life of the average Nigerian has improved empirically.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by ziga: 6:21pm On Apr 18, 2010
debosky:

If you live in Nigeria, kindly use your perception to convert the Lagos Airport Road into a bump less one and use perception to dissolve the armed robbers at your door.

Because some people can now go to the Palms (never mind they are a tiny fraction of the population) that should be the governing perception of Nigeria, not the awful daily realities faced by the majority of the people.  Perception indeed. The more I see posts like these, the stronger the hypocrisy appears.

What exactly is your point. Nobody is denying the state of the International airport road. Even if it is fixed today, it will still have potholes tomorrow. The solution to the road problems will be stability in the Government and good policies.

The perception i am talking about is that i see that progress is being made whereas, you can't see anything good.

Please, let go of your emotions and lets try to be objective when we criticize.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Pennywise(m): 6:22pm On Apr 18, 2010
debosky:

Because some people can now go to the Palms (never mind they are a tiny fraction of the population) that should be the governing perception of Nigeria, not the awful daily realities faced by the majority of the people.  Perception indeed. The more I see posts like these, the stronger the hypocrisy appears.

I am yet to see where the hypocrisy is in all these. If you have a phobia for armed robbers it will remain with you long after all our problems are solved as a country.

The most violent crimes are perpetrated in SA yet it is a developed country
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Pennywise(m): 6:25pm On Apr 18, 2010
ziga:

What exactly is your point. Nobody is denying the state of the International airport road. Even if it is fixed today, it will still have potholes tomorrow. The solution to the road problems will be stability in the Government and good policies.

The perception i am talking about is that i see that progress is being made whereas, you can't see anything good.

You are asking for too much. There is only one deboski on NL. I know him well enough
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 6:30pm On Apr 18, 2010
ziga:

You have got it right there .The main problem with Airport road is overcapacity.It was simply never designed to handle its current volume of traffic.
The way out is to constuct a new system of interlinked flyovers.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by cap28: 6:32pm On Apr 18, 2010
Pennywise:

sorry mate its a bit late to try and assume an air of superiority when 80% of the nigerian population live below the poverty line, if the level of hardship isnt as acute as you are trying to lead people into beleiving why are so many nigerians desperate to leave the country to come and work in the west as security guards, toilet attendants, care assistants and road sweepers, its time to stop deceiving yourself the nigerian govt has failed its people and have continued to fail its people, a nation as rich as nigeria that cannot provide the basic neccesities: employment, shelter, food, electricity, water supply HAS FAILED and no amount of protestation on your part about not being looked down upon by whites in the west will change that.  

For your information their highly sophisticated media has already brainwashed their people into beleiving that africans are inferior, that their country is war and disease ravaged, that their leaders are corrupt and inept, therefore before you even open your mouth they have a perception in their minds about who you are and where you are coming from.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Pennywise(m): 6:33pm On Apr 18, 2010
tensor777:

You have got it right there .Tha main problem with Airport road is overcapacity.It was simply never designed to handle its current volume of traffic.
The way out is to constuct a new system of interlinked flyovers.
Even when this is done Deboski will come up with another obscure road somewhere as a reference determinant of living standard in Nigeria
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by REALTRUTH1: 6:40pm On Apr 18, 2010
Pennywise:

The state of the roads and other infrastructural challenges have been with us for a long time. You cannot undo overnight the damage of what essentially has been an undeclared war against the south by the Northern powers that be through the military. The economy through the limited deregulation we have had at the center has imparted positively in the lives of many.
Now if you remain fixated on the bad roads and rubbish of the kind bbc feeds you it will be impossible for you to see the wonderful things that people like Fashola, Ohakim etc are doing.
The economy is growing (the proffessionals will tell you that), dozens of Nigerian diasporans are coming back home (or is this bad judgement). We still have policy challenges but the life of the average Nigerian has improved empirically.

You re a LIER and probably worst than the Politicians destroying Nigeria,,,Is it a country that the Minister for Labour and productivity recently admitted that over 70Million Nigerian youths re unemployed that their lives have improved,,,The truth is that we don't have to be blindly patriotic,,,lets call a spade a spade,,,
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 6:44pm On Apr 18, 2010
^^
I don't know who you are or where you get your ludicrous figures from. Does Nigeria have up to 70 million youths of working age?
What exactly are you on about?
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by REALTRUTH1: 6:53pm On Apr 18, 2010
tensor777:

^^
I don't know who you are or where you get your ludicrous figures from. Does Nigeria have up to 70 million youths of working age?
What exactly are you on about?
That is the problem we have as Nigerians,,,You really don't ihave to know me,,,,am not the minister for Labour and productivity,,,,You re asking me if Nigeria has 70Million youth,,,the proper question to ask is if Nigeria as a country knows her population size??
If you re very conversant with NL,,,you must have seen that post here,,,and a quick search of topics so far posted would help you,,,,I will do the serach here and repost it,,,
I love Nigeria more than anyone of you posting here,,,but the truth is when you re been criticised,,,what you should look at is not whether the person criticising you is ur enemy or friend,,,rather you should be concerned with whether what the person is saying is true or false,
That Nigeria has the potential to be great does not translate to it been great at the moment,,,as far as am concerned now,,,NIGERIA is not a serious country the way its been runned,,,
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by olaolabiy: 6:57pm On Apr 18, 2010
Pennywise:

I have no business with you. I deal only with legitimate and documented people like paddy lo and Kobojunkie. You are neither. You have only one antidote- and that is Immigration. Say all you want but If I get your real name kperen. That is the end.

see this idiot threatening me. you are just a big fool. omo omo ole. are you documented here. i will search you out now.
the fact is your parents are thieves and you will end up a thief.slowpoke. muppet.you live on stolen wealth. ole gbogbo.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by olaolabiy: 6:59pm On Apr 18, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^^ mr pennywise or pennystupid
are you an assassin? or a political jobber? deadbeat. if you are documented, tell me more about yourself here.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Godslover: 7:03pm On Apr 18, 2010
my heart is fully of joy that am not the only one that sees it in such fashion, when we talk over issues here i wonder weda am the insane person, everyone here in lagos poses with his cars and fancy clothes, when i say other wise every one thinks i too do oyibo and after a while i started doubting my stability and world view. poster you are very correct, no body seems to see that the greater population of nigerians dont have acess to clean drinking water, yrs back i went for a zenith bank job interview and they asked me why do i want to work for a bank, i told the untastefully dressed ladies that the common nigeria has not been caputured into the banking system and i see it as bin crucial in the eradication of poverty, they just gave me what the trash is he talking about look, she quietly asked me how much money do intend to bring to the bank and thats all she wants know and not economy this and that
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by debosky(m): 7:25pm On Apr 18, 2010
Pennywise:

Even when this is done Deboski will come up with another obscure road somewhere as a reference determinant of living standard in Nigeria

Obscure road? The gateway into the country?? Let's talk about living standards - kindly point out the literacy rates, maternal mortality rate, percentage of the population with clean water access.

ziga:

PDP has been in charge for over 10 years - what stability are we lacking? We have the best policies on paper, why hasn't that solved the problem?

Kindly state the progress so we understand - has our maternal mortality worsened or improved? Have our cities become more habitable or less habitable?

I am not denying progress, but compared to the overall state of affairs, it is nothing to celebrate yet. Our problems are egregious and things are in a terrible state - progress in isolated spots does not change that.

To claim we are being wrongly represented when what is being shown is quite representative of the poverty being faced by millions in Lagos is a joke. There are more people in slums like Ajegunle than in middle class or affluent places. That is the fact - till we change that, we cannot claim we are being misrepresented.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by bidemi12(m): 7:40pm On Apr 18, 2010
Reading all these posts is begining to give me migrane. it is disheartening to read posts where people live in denial and false patriotism. Nigeria will never develop with people like these. Where what is bad is colored to good. where sycophants are mighty and the lapdogs of the exploiters. I still insist that the only way to progress is for the average nigerian to change his mindset. change the mindset, change the nation and you can then expect outsiders to look at you favorably. how can we be suprised that we get picked on by others when we have situations like where a presidents goes incomunicado for months and the house is hesitant in installing the vise president as president. The thing most people do not understand is that Nigerians do abominable things that ordinarily would not happen elsewhere and then turn around to complain when the spotlight is shone on us. to you, maybe all these things are nothing to be alarmed about, to me my guy, it is a course and a path to anarchy and destruction. The next thing you will now hear is that we are a developing nation, YEAH RIGHT. Also stop comparing us to other f.ucked up countries. let them be f.ucked up. so because they are f.ucked up so too must we. We know what is right from wrong but the cutthroatmakeitatallcost mentality will always navigate us towards the destructive side. God help us,
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by REALTRUTH1: 7:44pm On Apr 18, 2010
@tensor777 and Pennywise  

Nigeria has 74Million poor people

http://www.nigerianobservernews.com/28042009/news/othernews2.html

Nigeria 4th worst in medical system in the world

This how far I can go with my search here,,,,I have to go now, if you re not satisfied with the fact that more than 74Million people re poor as even declared by a Nigerian official,,,I will continue in my search latter for that of the minister of productivity and labour

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Dignitaries At Ndigbo Summit On Restructuring In Awka (Photos) / Lai Mohammed: Nigerian Govt To Inject N50bn Into Entertainment Industry / PDP Governors' Forum Meet In Bauchi, Take Position On INEC, NNPC, Defections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.