Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,480 members, 7,819,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:19 PM

Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy (14189 Views)

Dead Bodies Of Victims Of Shiites And Nigerian Soldiers Clash (photos) / FG And Nigerian Military Describe CNN Report On Boko Haram As Satanic / Nigeria's Middle-Class Increases By 28 percent!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by 4Play(m): 8:06pm On Apr 18, 2010
As the nation's power generation capacity continues to dwindle, an expert in the industry has revealed that only 40 per cent of Nigeria or less has access to power supply. A further breakdown of the figure shows that out of 140 million Nigerians, going by the last census exercise, only about 56 million are believed to have access to power supply.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200805051625.html
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Orikinla(m): 8:11pm On Apr 18, 2010
The Poster is a TRUTH SAYER.
I would have mistaken him for another Orikinla!

The bitter truth is always sour to the guilty.

Only the truth will save Nigeria.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by cap28: 8:25pm On Apr 18, 2010
paddy_lo:

[b]FDI Inflows to Nigeria in the past 10yrs has mostly been into Oil. . . .Gas. . . .Telecommms, Nigerian Stock Exchange. . .Nigerian Banks. . .and Infrastructure
Every FDI u get helps to stabilize your local currency and at the same time stimulate growth
It is the opposite of capital outflows, so its a good thing

Also remember that nobody is forced to bring in their money
as u are trying to attract FDI inflows,all other 200+, countries in the world are trying to attract inflows into their economy. .
so its a function of the policies that Nigeria decides to push. . .

For example, if we get a good PIB bill. . .Then billions of dollars more will come into the Oil and gas Sector
If we decide to Liberalize power. . .Then u can imagine that some FDI will flow into the power sector

As for how FDI helps to improve the economy. .
heres a detailed research item by NCC(who are very competent),on the impact of mobile services in Nigeria
http://www.ncc.gov.ng/

Some key excerpts. , . .

Pyramid Research estimates that capital investments in mobile networks and operations have accounted
for 80% of total telecommunications foreign capital investments (a total of more than $12bn by the
middle of 2008) since the Nigerian government successfully liberalized the industry in 2001.
As of March 2010, the NCC reported $18bn in telecom sector CAPEX, $16bn of which is invested by
mobile operators.

The explosion of the mobile industry in Nigeria has resulted in a series of positive effects
across the economy ranging from investment in networks to the creation of employment
Transformational Role of Mobile Services

Mobile services have multiple positive effects in an economy, most notably in emerging markets. Their
economic benefits extend beyond the investment that network operators allocate to license fees, taxes
and network equipment and include the following factors:

End user spend money on mobile telecom services and devices allows a new industry to
flourish

Telecom operator spending on marketing, distribution, maintenance, training, support and
network enhancements create important benefits for all involved in the value chain

Mobile operators create employment, both direct and indirectly, and invest in the
development of the labor force.

Mobile services have a wide economic impact in a country, since they enable end users to
conduct their daily business in a more effective manner, reducing the time and cost of
transactions, improving access to markets, commoditizing information and generally allowing
businesses to operate more efficiently.

According to Pyramid’s estimates, the annual revenue from mobile services represents
between 2% and 7% of African countries’ Nominal GDP; in Nigeria this ratio is close to 4%

Mobile operators also contribute to the economy by directly and indirectly creating jobs to
provide and distribute their services; in Nigeria, we estimate there are as many as 3m
Transformational Role of Mobile Services
jobs related to this industry

There are several groups of jobs, which
can be divided into two subgroups, that Employment related to mobile sector In Nigeria, 2009
gravitate around mobile services:

The top category of indirect employment
encompasses equipment sales,
p y g ,
infrastructure deployment, advertising,
marketing and public relations as well as
security — workers involved in the
protection of base stations. Reportedly, in
2008 Zain employed as many as 8,000
security guards.

At the base of the pyramid, there are
mobile service resellers, recharge card
distributors, retailers, phone booth
operators as well as street vendors. The
so-called mini call centers consist of
simply one or a few mobile phones and
airtime bought in bulk from the operator.
Call center operators allow other people
to use the phone for a fee and quite
often will take a message, also for a fee.

PLS read further below. . .

Source: Pyramid Research

http://www.ncc.gov.ng/
[/b]

paddy lo you sound extremely naive and inexperienced in your glorification of the positive attributes of foreign direct involvement but have you stopped to find out who the main beneficiaires of this system are?  have you stopped for a minute to even look at the trail of destruction that foreign direct investment has caused in countries like nigeria, indonesia, india and thailand.  
the primary objective of multinationals investing in countries like nigeria is to MAXIMISE their profits at the expense of the labour force, the only way that this is guaranteed is if they can get away with paying the lowest wages for labour that they can get away with THATS WHY THEY INVEST IN AFRICA, ASIA and OTHER countries with unregulated labour markets, non existent human rights records and repressive govts, you are totally deluded if you think nigerians are getting a good deal out of the billions of dollars being invested in nigeria by all these foreign vultures and parasites, these people are working in cahoots with your corrupt govts to EXPLOIT the nigerian workforce because they know that they can get away with paying dirt cheap wages, sack people with no compensation, outsource jobs, and STILL MAKE RECORD PROFITS.  

A similar situation is currently ongoing in the US with NAFTA (the north atlantic free trade agreement) this agreement between america canada and mexico  enabled cross border trade between these three countries and it also allowed for the removal of tarrifs enabling american businesses to outsource thousands of jobs to mexico without being burdened by high production costs, because like nigeria, labour in mexico is dirt cheap the labour market is also unregulated or poorly  regulated,  employers  can get away with sacking whole chunks of the workforce without paying them compensation, go and research NAFTA and find out how it decimated thousands of manufacturing jobs in the united states resulting in widespread unemployment, go and find out what happened in places like detroit michigan where thousands of motor manufacturers outsourced jobs to south east asia, you dont know the half of what this FDI that you keep glorifying does to host nations.

look at what is currently happening in nigeria with Ericsson, didnt they sack 450 nigerian telecoms workers without compensation due to the lack of regulation and replace these workers with cheap indian workers, this is what globalization or capitalism is all about maximisation of profit at the expense of the indigenous economy, the only people who profit from this are the multinationals and nigerian govt officials who demand bribes in exchange for the award of these contracts to these vulture, keep fooling yourself that the average nigerian stands to gain anything from this brutal system
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by debosky(m): 8:27pm On Apr 18, 2010
4Play

why are you posting obscure facts like power supply? The measure of improvement is clearly the increased generator fumes people breathe in - how can you avoid that in your posts?  
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 8:32pm On Apr 18, 2010
@tensor777 and Pennywise  

Nigeria has 74Million poor people

http://www.nigerianobservernews.com/28042009/news/othernews2.html

Nigeria 4th worst in medical system in the world

This how far I can go with my search here,,,,I have to go now, if you re not satisfied with the fact that more than 74Million people re poor as even declared by a Nigerian official,,,I will continue in my search latter for that of the minister of productivity and labour

my heart is fully of joy that am not the only one that sees it in such fashion, when we talk over issues here i wonder weda am the insane person, everyone here in lagos poses with his cars and fancy clothes, when i say other wise every one thinks i too do oyibo and after a while i started doubting my stability and world view. poster you are very correct, no body seems to see that the greater population of nigerians dont have acess to clean drinking water, yrs back i went for a zenith bank job interview and they asked me why do i want to work for a bank, i told the untastefully dressed ladies that the common nigeria has not been caputured into the banking system and i see it as bin crucial in the eradication of poverty, they just gave me what the trash is he talking about look, she quietly asked me how much money do intend to bring to the bank and thats all she wants know and not economy this and that

[b]

74million poor people. . .Ok that means u have 70million average,middle class and rich ppl, or whatever
Am guessing India has more poor people than that, maybe even up to 200million or thereabouts. . .

So how do u bring the poor into the mainstream. . .like someone said u use a bank. .
but u dont use zenith bank. . u use a micro-finance bank
so his aggression @ zenith bank is misplaced,  . . .

How are other poor citizens in the world being helped. .
well for one they can use better agricultural practices

In brazil children of the poor and lower class are paid a stipend(monthly) to make them send their kids to school
instead of farms or other things. . .we can borrow that,maybe incorporate that into the MDG spending

All of u that come to mouth off here are not telling us anything new. . .
The poor will always be with u. . they are in every nation on earth
Go to south Africa and the poor are just as poor,in russia its the same,In brazil its a problem

So dont come here telling me about poor this,poor that, because its not unique to our country. . .
u should be giving some ideas on what needs to be done, and then we debate those ideas. . .
The BBC can go to hell. . . they dont define me
do u know how the poor live in Philadelphia and every major US city?
do u know about child poverty in texas?
Rural poverty in Appalachia. . .if u dont how come the BBC hasnt told u?

More importantly how come america hasnt eradicated poverty, or any other country for that matter?

Someone is there talking about people driving fancy cars in lagos, so u expect them to go kill themselves?
Go to DC by the white house and u will see all kinds of poverty. . .
How much exactly does the state Govt in Lagos budget each yr,and how will that provide houses for 2million poor Lagosians living in ajegunle
What is the cost of one house, what is the cost of steel or u think houses will come down magically from heaven if only u get a saint to come rule?

I have said our financial services industry is still in its infancy,the people living in ajegunle have no credit history
if they own their homes,perhaps it can be valued and use as a collateral to get loans for upgrades
maybe they can get a mortgage. . .but what is their source of income, is it steady?

we have to be serious and stop pointing unnecessary fingers. . .If there is an infrastructure deficit in Nigeria
It can be traced directly to our past and recent history, full stop
ppl talk of its better in indonesia or malaysia or singapore or whereever. . .
can u pls type in your favorite country plus the words bond market next to it in google
see how vibrant Indonesias,thailands,malaysias,southAfricas, etc bond markets are
see when they were established and when ours was

If u are a manufacturer u dont borrow prohibitively from commercial banks, at 23%, No, u float a corporate bond and expand your business
If u are a Municipality(Local Govt),and u need to expand water supply in Lekki, or OJO, u dont wait for Abuja to release funds to u, No, u float a municipal bond and make the necessary investment in water. . .
American federal Govt does not supply water in my city of philadelphia, No the city local govt provides water for its residents. . .

So our economy is at the infant/beginning stages of becoming modern. . .
If u cannot appreciate that fact,then there is no point posting on here. . .
u cannot run without first walking

If we dont first put in place the foundations for a real modern economy,which the Govt through the CBN,NSE,SEC,FINANCE MINISTRY etc is begining to tackle and give it time to materialize
theres no need expecting miracles to happen overnight in the country
cause it just wont happen [/b]
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 18, 2010
Let them go and farm we say. But people on the farms are hungrier than tose in the city.

Indeed!!! And you base this information on what exactly? As far as I know, farming may be cash intensive but that doesnt necessarily mean people on farms go hungry, all things being equal.

let me leave you with a little ditty:

ise agbe, n'ise ile wa

eni ko sise, y'o ma jale

iwe kiko, l'aisi oko, ati ada

k'oi pe o, k'oi pe o.

holla at me if you need a translation
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 8:42pm On Apr 18, 2010
tpia.:

Indeed!!! And you base this information on what exactly? As far as I know, farming may be cash intensive but that doesnt necessarily mean people on farms go hungry, all things being equal.

let me leave you with a little ditty:

ise agbe, n'ise ile wa

eni ko sise, y'o ma jale

iwe kiko, l'aisi oko, ati ada

k'oi pe o, k'oi pe o.

holla at me if you need a translation

Sooooooooooooooo weird!!!!

I was just humming that song to myself!!
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 8:46pm On Apr 18, 2010
^^ I love the tune.

I thought only us "oldies" knew it though.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 8:50pm On Apr 18, 2010
paddy lo you sound extremely naive and inexperienced in your glorification of the positive attributes of foreign direct involvement but have you stopped to find out who the main beneficiaires of this system are?  have you stopped for a minute to even look at the trail of destruction that foreign direct investment has caused in countries like nigeria, indonesia, india and thailand.  
the primary objective of multinationals investing in countries like nigeria is to MAXIMISE their profits at the expense of the labour force, the only way that this is guaranteed is if they can get away with paying the lowest wages for labour that they can get away with THATS WHY THEY INVEST IN AFRICA, ASIA and OTHER countries with unregulated labour markets, non existent human rights records and repressive govts, you are totally deluded if you think nigerians are getting a good deal out of the billions of dollars being invested in nigeria by all these foreign vultures and parasites, these people are working in cahoots with your corrupt govts to EXPLOIT the nigerian workforce because they know that they can get away with paying dirt cheap wages, sack people with no compensation, outsource jobs, and STILL MAKE RECORD PROFITS.  

A similar situation is currently ongoing in the US with NAFTA (the north atlantic free trade agreement) this agreement between america canada and mexico  enabled cross border trade between these three countries and it also allowed for the removal of tarrifs enabling american businesses to outsource thousands of jobs to mexico without being burdened by high production costs, because like nigeria, labour in mexico is dirt cheap the labour market is also unregulated or poorly  regulated,  employers  can get away with sacking whole chunks of the workforce without paying them compensation, go and research NAFTA and find out how it decimated thousands of manufacturing jobs in the united states resulting in widespread unemployment, go and find out what happened in places like detroit michigan where thousands of motor manufacturers outsourced jobs to south east asia, you dont know the half of what this FDI that you keep glorifying does to host nations.

look at what is currently happening in nigeria with Ericsson, didnt they sack 450 nigerian telecoms workers without compensation due to the lack of regulation and replace these workers with cheap indian workers, this is what globalization or capitalism is all about maximisation of profit at the expense of the indigenous economy, the only people who profit from this are the multinationals and nigerian govt officials who demand bribes in exchange for the award of these contracts to these vulture, keep fooling yourself that the average nigerian stands to gain anything from this brutal system

[b]Your write up is flawed in logic and FACT. . .

Nigeria,Indonesia,India and Thailand Have beneffited from FDI inflows and continue to seek more inflows
Poor ppl especially in these countries have seen their standards of living go up as a result of free trade

For all your rants about NAFTA, it has led to job growth in Mexico,Canada and the USA
and has created lots of jobs, that is why it is still the law in america today

For your information,half a job is better than no job. . .the person employed in a call centre in india is better off that DELL,or IBM came in to set up that call centre
It doesnt matter what the wages are,as long as they meet the minimum wage requirements in the country

If u dont know that Capital can be moved in an instant from place to place then u havent really studied the globe. .
There is nothing keeping any Foreign company tied to any country in the world. . .
DELLs call centres can be in Nigeria or ghana, it doesnt have to be in india,
It is up to us to lure that FDI away from india to Nigeria. . .

Same is true with Nigeria, there is nothing unique,to bring non-oil FDI into the country
so if our policies are not attractive enough,it can move to Ghana,kenya or south Africa, then what?
will the Govt now employ the millions leaving school each yr, and pay them with stone?
or print money like zimbabwe and turn the economy into a basket case?

please your write up makes sense as long as it is not u living under those rules u expouse
go to zimbabwe,North Korea or cuba and tell them how good they have it cause they expelled the evil capitalists
better still live there for a while and u will know how good u have it[/b]
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 9:15pm On Apr 18, 2010
cap28:

paddy lo you sound extremely naive and inexperienced in your glorification of the positive attributes of foreign direct involvement but have you stopped to find out who the main beneficiaires of this system are?  have you stopped for a minute to even look at the trail of destruction that foreign direct investment has caused in countries like nigeria, indonesia, india and thailand. 
How else do you think wealth is created in a market economy. It is certainly not by printing money or by sharing out finite natural resources.
The whole point of investment is value creation which ultimately benefits the investor, the employee, the suppliers and the host government via taxation. Finally the goods produced should benefit the end user.
What other economic model do you have which would lead to sustainable economic growth and prosperity?
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by cap28: 9:42pm On Apr 18, 2010
paddy_lo:

[b]Your write up is flawed in logic and FACT. . .

Nigeria,Indonesia,India and Thailand Have beneffited from FDI inflows and continue to seek more inflows
Poor ppl especially in these countries have seen their standards of living go up as a result of free trade

For all your rants about NAFTA, it has led to job growth in Mexico,Canada and the USA
and has created lots of jobs, that is why it is still the law in america today

For your information,half a job is better than no job. . .the person employed in a call centre in india is better off that DELL,or IBM came in to set up that call centre
It doesnt matter what the wages are,as long as they meet the minimum wage requirements in the country

If u dont know that Capital can be moved in an instant from place to place then u havent really studied the globe. .
There is nothing keeping any Foreign company tied to any country in the world. . .
DELLs call centres can be in Nigeria or ghana, it doesnt have to be in india,
It is up to us to lure that FDI away from india to Nigeria. . .

Same is true with Nigeria, there is nothing unique,to bring non-oil FDI into the country
so if our policies are not attractive enough,it can move to Ghana,kenya or south Africa, then what?
will the Govt now employ the millions leaving school each yr, and pay them with stone?
or print money like zimbabwe and turn the economy into a basket case?

please your write up makes sense as long as it is not u living under those rules u expouse
go to zimbabwe,North Korea or cuba and tell them how good they have it cause they expelled the evil capitalists
better still live there for a while and u will know how good u have it[/b]

your response is totally devoid of any iota of critical analysis, instead of parrotting off all the trash that your neo liberal lecturers forced down your throat, why dont you look at what is actually happening on the ground, are you telling me that you would be happy to work for 14 cents an hour rather than have no job at all, haitian factory workers were being paid around that to make t shirts for nike and other sportswear manufacturers, some of these workers were not making enough money to pay for their transport fare to and from work,  nike also makes billions in profit from using child labour in south east asian countries, some of these kids work 36 hour shifts with 30 mins breaks in deplorable working conditions would you be happy to let your own child work in a Poo hole like that for 14 cents an hour?  

why cant nike, gap and reebok  keep their factories in the US and pay americans a decent wage to do these same jobs, well i think we both know the answer to that because they want to maximise their profits, why would they want to be saddled with paying for health care, pension andd redundancy when they can hop across to haiti, nigeria or india and pay starvation wages.  I cant beleive you a nigerian can sit here and champion the cause of neo slavery because this is what this is on the grounds that it is better to have any job rather than no job.  Do you not understand that it is a basic human right to be able to earn a decent wage and be able to afford a roof over your head and money to feed yourself and your family, what these multinationals are doing is exploiting people who are already vulnerable by offering the the lowest wages that they can get away with paying.  

for your information Cuba provides free health care and education up to university level to ALL OF ITS CITIZENS FREE OF CHARGE - so stop displaying your ignorance, Cuba's health and education system puts america to shame, is it not the same america where the public school system is so substandard that the average american has the literacy level of a fourth grade pupil, is this not the same US which in the 21st century is yet to provide a comprehensive affordable health care system to all of its citizens - give me a break.

can you give me evidence of the increased standard of livign that nigerians have enjoyed since the nigerian govt opened up the country to FDI, where are the jobs that have been created, where is the evidence of increased standard of livign amongst the average nigerian - i would very much welcome some hard evidence to back up this  your claim.

for your information it is the responsibility of govts to protect workers from exploitative and predatory multinationals not leave them at the mercy of these corporations in a bid to stay competitive this why we have legislation and labour unions , what happened in nigeria with ericsson sacking IT workers and replacing them with indian workers without paying compensation could never happen in the UK, but if we are to go by your warped analysis its all part of being competitive and attracting investment, just pray you dont find yourself on the receiving end of this sort of treatment.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by olaolabiy: 9:47pm On Apr 18, 2010
why are you discussing people like pennywise? he is just a kid with no sense blessed with jaundiced ideas.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 9:49pm On Apr 18, 2010
cap28:

your response is totally devoid of any iota of critical analysis, instead of parrotting off all the trash that your neo FREE OF CHARGE - so stop displaying your ignorance, Cuba's health and education system puts america to shame, is it not the same america where the public school system is so substandard that the average american has the literacy level of a fourth grade pupil, is this not the same US which in the 21st century is yet to provide a comprehensive affordable health care system to all of its citizens - give me a break.
I had a feeling you were soft on Castro and an admirer of the communist system.
tensor777:

How else do you think wealth is created in a market economy. It is certainly not by printing money or by sharing out finite natural resources.
The whole point of investment is value creation which ultimately benefits the investor, the employee, the suppliers and the host government via taxation. Finally the goods produced should benefit the end user.
What other economic model do you have which would lead to sustainable economic growth and prosperity?
How do your neo-communist ideas facilitate wealth creation? How does it answer my questions above?
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 9:53pm On Apr 18, 2010
can you give me evidence of the increased standard of livign that nigerians have enjoyed since the nigerian govt opened up the country to FDI, where are the jobs that have been created, where is the evidence of increased standard of livign amongst the average nigerian - i would very much welcome some hard evidence to back up this  your claim.

Go here,  http://www.ncc.gov.ng/

Click on the link to the right that states. . . . New Study: The Impact of Mobile Services in Nigeria: How Mobile Technologies Are Transforming Economic and Social Activities(By Pyramid Research, UK)
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 9:57pm On Apr 18, 2010
for your information Cuba provides free health care and education up to university level to ALL OF ITS CITIZENS FREE OF CHARGE - so stop displaying your ignorance, Cuba's health and education system puts america to shame, is it not the same america where the public school system is so substandard that the average american has the literacy level of a fourth grade pupil, is this not the same US which in the 21st century is yet to provide a comprehensive affordable health care system to all of its citizens - give me a break.

and HAVANA still looks like its 1950, with 1950 volkswagon beetle plying its streets
Thats what happens when u allow a Govt to control the means of production and capital

Capital allocation is wasted on meaningless things like weapons and a large army
To the detriment of any real economic activity
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 9:57pm On Apr 18, 2010
tpia.:

^^ I love the tune.

I thought only us "oldies" knew it though.

I was born in the wrong decade.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 10:03pm On Apr 18, 2010
are you telling me that you would be happy to work for 14 cents an hour rather than have no job at all, haitian factory workers were being paid around that to make t shirts for nike and other sportswear manufacturers, some of these workers were not making enough money to pay for their transport fare to and from work,

Nobody owes u a job, look around u,there are 6billion ppl on this planet and each one of us is trying to make a living. .
If u dont have the requisite skills in Jobs that are in demand,like engineers,doctors,lawyers,Mathematician,etc then u are stuck with a low paying job
until u improve your skillls through education. . .

No one is forcing those haitians to work at the factory. . .If they were computer engineers,AAPLE, GOOGLE or anyone of the thousands of IT firms in silicon valley
would be rushing to hire them for $100,000 a yr plus stock options. . .

How do u expect to eat fat, if u dont bring any value added to the equation?
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by cap28: 10:27pm On Apr 18, 2010
tensor777:

I had a feeling you were soft on Castro and an admirer of the communist system.How do your neo-communist ideas facilitate wealth creation? How does it answer my questions above?

of course i admire a leader who after a 51 year economic blockade from america has been able to keep the economy of his country afloat and provide for the citizens of his country.

whats wrong with being a supporter of communisim if it can provide a decent standard of living for its citizens?

you keep parrotting wealth creation - wealth creation for whom?  - are you getting rich off the spoils of capitalism or is it a tiny minority of plutocrats - If we use a country like america as an example the richest people  make up a mere 1% of the entire population of that country and they own 60% of corporate stock and business assets.

contrary to this fairy story that has constantly been sold to you ad nauseam that you can get rich from just working hard most wealth in the western world is INHERITED .

when you buy into this mirage about wealth creation you should ask yourself wealth creation for whom?

contrary to the popular beleif that capitalism creates wealth for the lower classes that is patently not the case it simply enables the rich to get even richer and the poor to get by.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 10:31pm On Apr 18, 2010
paddy_lo:

Nobody owes u a job, look around u,there are 6billion ppl on this planet and each one of us is trying to make a living. .
If u dont have the requisite skills in Jobs that are in demand,like engineers,doctors,lawyers,Mathematician,etc then u are stuck with a low paying job

No one is forcing those haitians to work at the factory. . .If they were computer engineers,AAPLE, GOOGLE or anyone of the thousands of IT firms in silicon valley

My god is this dude for real? Your view of the world is twisted. Like I said before many think they are educated cause they earn degrees in Ignorance. And dude, you prove my point with every thing you've said so far. If you ever run heaven as a nation, it will go bankrupt of souls cause you sure as hell lack soul and wouldn't like anyone to have one. You are a mediocre economist at it's worst dude. Mediocre is even a better word, economist wannabe. No nation practices every man for himself systems no more. Geez people like you will drag us deeper in to the dark age we are in.

Many of these capitalism admiring fools are not even rich but they just admire the rich fools. There is no true capitalist state in the world what we have is an hybrid of capitalism and socialism with one keeping the other in check. No nation practices capitalism. I doubt paddy lo can survive in a capitalist economy cause he has no idea what he capitalism is. Before the Health care over haul, only the rich or those who can afford to go broke can afford healthcare. Some people make 40k/year but pay 25k/year on health care. That is a capitalist society for you. Insurance companies can raise the price as high as they want and do it like they want without regulations. Wait isn't that what we have in Nigeria? No regulation. I read some companies are about to fire Nigerians to hire indians. No regulation. Labour laws are not aspect of a capitalist society. In a model capitalist society, no laws regulates how much you pay for whatever job you want done that's why Nigerians work 12hrs a day earning less than $2 a day. You have no clue dude. Wealth ain't spreading no where in a capitalist society.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by olafolarin(m): 10:33pm On Apr 18, 2010
@Poster: Spot on,

Nigerians always seem annoyed whenever the Reality of Lagos Life is shown on Foreign Media.The fact still remains that what was shown on BBC about Olusosun is the Reality.
We should stop blaming others for our Problems.Everything governor in Nigeria needs to Be proactive and pragmatic like Fashola for we have Lost decades to Bad leadership,fraud,looting of the State treasury etc which have all culminated in creating the Situation we are right now.Despicable Situation.
Not until those redundant Leaders are voted out or "taken Care of" replaced by progressive Leaders like Fashola,Saraki,Donald Duke,etc.Its à Shame that After almost 50 Years of Independence and thousands of Oil well down the Drain with its accrued billions of Dollars,we are still where we are-à failed State.
Olusosun is à typical example of how Nigeria is: A suffering populace in the midst of plenty.
Its the Same reason We Need to Mobilise all neccessary machinery to ensure that come 2011,we vote for à Leader with Vision,purpose and the will to serve.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 10:44pm On Apr 18, 2010
whats wrong with being a supporter of communisim if it can provide a decent standard of living for its citizens?

[b]That right there is a myth, can u explain to us how North Korea is doing vs South Korea?
How cuba is doing vs Barbados or Trinidad and tobago?

How come the chinese supposed communists, are now more capitalist than america itself?

Why did the former soviet union collapse and why are all the former countries/satelite states from that union now avowed capitalists, From russia to Georgia?

U are professing to support something that has been a total failure to humanity
of course Capitalism has its faults but all other systems are pretty much atrocious and unworkable compared to it

Capitalism itself is part of the fabric that makes us human,
and market forces are like the laws of physics

That is why u have shortages any time u impose artificial prices or quotas. .
Why innovation and progress is stifled by monopolistic or communist Govt owned corporations
whearas Private sector companies are lean,mean and compete to provide better services and bring innovation to all people

That is why the Iphone was invented by Aaple and not by Sony
That is why google was formed in california and not in russia
[/b]
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 10:53pm On Apr 18, 2010
9jaganja:

My god is this dude for real? Your view of the world is twisted. Like I said before many think they are educated cause they earn degrees in Ignorance. And dude, you prove my point with every thing you've said so far. If you ever run heaven as a nation, it will go bankrupt of souls cause you sure as hell lack soul and wouldn't like anyone to have one. You are a mediocre economist at it's worst dude. Mediocre is even a better word, economist wannabe. No nation practices every man for himself systems no more. Geez people like you will drag us deeper in to the dark age we are in.
You know its always a sign of a weak position when you resort to personal attacks. But that is to be expected given your youth.
Nevertheless you should learn how to structure your arguments logically, and coherently and devoid of gratituous personal attacks

Moreover I have to say that the OP and her supporters(mostly people based in the West) have yet to come up with a viable alternative economic model, which would answer my questions below:-

tensor777:

All they  keep repeating are the same old anti-globalisation slogans which are absolutely meaningless.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 11:02pm On Apr 18, 2010
paddy_lo:

[
U are professing to support something that has been a total failure to humanity

In fact communism is such a hopelessly inefficient way to run a modern economy that even the Germans couldn't make it work.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 11:03pm On Apr 18, 2010
tensor777:

You know its always a sign of a weak position when you resort to personal attacks. But that is to be expected given your youth.
Nevertheless you should learn how to structure your arguments logically, and coherently and devoid of gratituous personal attacks

Moreover I have to say that the OP and her supporters(mostly people based in the West) have yet to come up with a viable alternative economic model, which would answer my questions below:-

All they  keep repeating are the same old slogans which are absolutely meaningless.

Ain't got nothing to say to ya. But damn do you read or look? Listen or hear? Ok enough I won't put another capitalist in misery. This thread isn't about economy in the first place. It's about Hypocrisy which is what many of you displays in green white green (shame). You point fingers at the one of the best nations to live on earth as a reason to escape what the the thread is about. We all know what's good and bad how come we can't just say this is bad why are we saying he is bad too? Y'all incorrigible.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 11:05pm On Apr 18, 2010

Many of these capitalism admiring fools are not even rich but they just admire the rich fools. There is no true capitalist state in the world what we have is an hybrid of capitalism and socialism with one keeping the other in check. No nation practices capitalism. I doubt paddy lo can survive in a capitalist economy cause he has no idea what he capitalism is. Before the Health care over haul, only the rich or those who can afford to go broke can afford healthcare. Some people make 40k/year but pay 25k/year on health care. That is a capitalist society for you. Insurance companies can raise the price as high as they want and do it like they want without regulations. Wait isn't that what we have in Nigeria? No regulation. I read some companies are about to fire Nigerians to hire indians. No regulation. Labour laws are not aspect of a capitalist society. In a model capitalist society, no laws regulates how much you pay for whatever job you want done that's why Nigerians work 12hrs a day earning less than $2 a day.  You have no clue dude. Wealth ain't spreading no where in a capitalist society.

[b]You call me names cause u cant really refute what i say. . .u say my view of the world is twisted?
why not go hire the haitians and pay them a million naira a month each. . . .see how long u will stay in business

Do u even know how countries get rich?
do u know what productivity and value added means?
u can pay everyone to sit on their butts all day,but in the end u are only running around in circles cause u are not creating any new wealth
there is no increase in productivity,which is what improves quality/standard of living from one generation to the next

Do u not know that all the bureaucratic in Abuja,all those excess workers in Federal Ministries,state ministries and so on are a drag on the Nigerian economy
do u not know that u pay them to sit on their asses all day, without any meaningful addition to society?

Americas health care system is broken because there is too much regulation and not enough choice for its people
U get healthcare from your job and u cant buy insurance personally or accross state lines. . .

Studies have shown that in the areas of Health care delivery where there is real market forces present
areas such as cosmetic surgery,beauty care,and so on, the costs are cheaper,innovation is growing and the procedures are more advanced
in other words competition/free markets is making a difference

as for hybrid system u talk of, yes there are things like welfare,social security and so on
but those are at the edges of the economy, its not what the economy is built on. . .
dont come here telling me that america pays unemployment benefits for x amount of weeks to ppl out of a job,
we all know that
However that benefit is paid to u,provided u have worked in this capitalist system for X number of yrs prior to being laid off,
and u must return to work,if your benefits run out after X amount of time

but u can choose not to, u can start your own business from home,4get the Govts handout and employ other ppl,
that is the capitalist way,its called creative destruction, most new businesses are formed from the ashes of recessions[/b]
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by Nobody: 11:12pm On Apr 18, 2010
9jaganja:

Ain't got nothing to say to ya. But damn do you read or look? Listen or hear? Ok enough I won't put another capitalist in misery. This thread isn't about economy in the first place. It's about Hypocrisy which is what many of you displays in green white green (shame). You point fingers at the one of the best nations to live on earth as a reason to escape what the the thread is about. We all know what's good and bad how come we can't just say this is bad why are we saying he is bad too? Y'all incorrigible.
How do you define hypocrisy. It is by not practising what you preach. So by your own standards you should be making plans to live in a country like Castro's Cuba which you call a paradise on earth. cool cool
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by adconline(m): 11:14pm On Apr 18, 2010
To all these folks who shout that Nigeria is a heaven on earth, just take a trip to your village to see the primary school in your hometown and ask yourself if you would want your kid to be educated in that school.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by paddylo1(m): 11:15pm On Apr 18, 2010
You point fingers at the one of the best nations to live on earth as a reason to escape what the the thread is about.

Lol, best nations to live on earth? I wonder how they became so good,wonder if capitalism had anything to do with it? cool
How come u dont refer to North Korea,cuba or zimbabwe as such?

I wonder, cause u seem to love socialism so much
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by ziga: 11:18pm On Apr 18, 2010
adconline:

To all these folks who shout that Nigeria is a heaven on earth, just take a trip to your village to see the primary school in your hometown and ask yourself if you would want your kid to be educated in that school.

Please tell me who is shouting that Nigeria is heaven on earth. We all know our problems. The issue is why are people shouting that Nigeria is hell on earth.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by odumorun: 11:22pm On Apr 18, 2010
PADDY LO's PSUEDO INTELECTUAL VODDO ECONOMICS

Nigeria has always been a hand me down economy, a dumping ground for cheap foreign imports, so its not surprising that it still produces ‘Okrika wake up’ intellectuals like Paddy lo who parrot, with the air of an expert pale imitations of the kind of right wing voodoo economics which  recently plunged the world into the worst financial collapse in a century.

There is not a serious economist anywhere in the western world that now regards the credit fuelled market fundamentalism Paddy Lo advocates as anything but a joke,.

But let’s take a closer look at what he has advocated, peering through the meaningless statistics meant not to clarify, but to intimidate the uninformed into silent acquiescence.

He advocates a construction boom to revive the economy. But the only construction booms that work during a recession are those driven by  massive public works, not false credit, public infrastructure projects aimed not at yielding a profit but provide socially useful Infrastructure, such as roads, bridges, dams railway lines, schools, hospitals and soak up unemployment by employing thousands of workers tossed on the trash heap by recession.

It was the ‘socialistic’ method of embarking on public sector driven construction works as against a credit fuelled mortgage boom Theodore Roosevelt used to pull America out of the Great depression in the 1930’s policies copied successfully by Governments across Europe at the time. Creating demand by boosting employment, putting money in people’s hands and hence reviving the market. The worker thus employed from the public purse spends his money in the market buying goods and services, bringing the factories back to life and restoring numerous small businesses such as dry cleaners,  small shops restaurants etc back to life.

No Government in Nigeria has ever advocated such a policy of direct public works to deliver infrastructure because it threatens the very existence of the contract system of delivering projects through which the elite enriches itself.

In reality it is the private sector which fuels corruption in the country, through the system of awarding major public contracts to private contractors who grant kick backs to public officers, employ as few workers as possible and abandon the projects half way through or carry out shoddy jobs.

If the Government embarked upon 5 to 10 year plans of delivering roads across the country through direct emergency public works doing away with the parasitic contract system, awarding contracts only for design not delivery, it could employ tens of thousands of jobless restless young men, put money in their pockets and boost demand for local goods and services and boost the countries infrastructure,  However the right wing conservative cabal that has ruled the country without a popular mandate since independence would never embark on such a policy as it is a direct threat to its interests.

The idea of a construction boom in the country driven by the private sector is a perverse joke. The private sector invests only for profit. That requires a market. The mortgage market anywhere in the world is based on a solid sizeable middle class who can afford to pay long term for the properties they purchase. – Nurses, doctors, teachers, civil servants, professionals, small businessmen. Apart from a few bank workers, those in the oil sector and perhaps telecom sectors how many people in Nigeria can be said to be in a position to pay the going rate for reasonable apartments. If you were a banker would you grant mortgages to low paid teachers, or nurses many of whom never get their salary paid on time?

Then there is the issue of supply at what rate will be these houses be sold considering most of the components will be imported with hard currency, considering that these houses will have to be linked to a none existent national grid and water and sewage system or is paddy lo suggesting that the private sector supplies this too.

The views of paddy lo are symptomatic of many educated Nigerians who have read a few western books or perhaps taken a few business degrees in the west and then obediently try and apply their policies  in Africa regardless of local conditions. Learning that it snows in Europe they duly purchase a thick winter coat to use in Lagos and wonder why they end up fainting in the heat  “Wetin happen now, shebi Oyinbo talk say e go snow for November”.

Most of the medium level third world nations he mentioned are actually heavily regulated economies with massive levels of Government intervention unlike the gangster capitalism in Nigeria where the poor are left to rot. In Countries like Egypt, Indonesia, Iraq, Malaysia, Brazil, Peru and Indionesia basic subsistence foodstuffs are heavily subsidised by the government, ensuring a level of nourishment for all and leaving enough money in the people’s pockets to sustain other industries. How many Nigerian families don’t spend at least 80% of their family budget on food? These countries have the type of infrastructure that we in Nigeria can only dream of. They don’t take the lights in Cairo and the Government not the private sector supplies electricity.

Paddy lo talks of China and India as success stories of deregulation betraying how little he knows about these country. Perhaps he does not know that the Chinese have never allowed their currency to be determined by ‘market forces’ much to western displeasure,  thus maintaining competitiveness in the international market. In China there are basic rules meant to protect the poorer classes like price and rent controls.

Moreover China and India maintained a major state dominated economy for decades building thier basic infrastructure, educating their populace in good public funded universities unlike our own underfunded ones and did not just start producing the goods it does now overnight.

It learnt by trial and error for 30 years by protecting its local market from competition while perfecting local technique. Who has forgotten how we used to laugh at made in China and India, in the 1970’s their thick irons, their funny shoes, their shapeless clothes. Now they produce 60% of the world’s clothes for the most fashionable brands on the planet. If rather than laughing at them we had protected the ex Biafran craftsmen and workers the way the Asian giants did theirs– we would be close to where the Indians and Chinese are now. But not us, how could we forgo the imported wonyosi, would we be seen dead without the Italian shoes Wetin those babes for talk.

What the Chinese and indians did  for 3 decades was dismiss the nonsense of market forces and free trade for the self interested western tricks they are, (america imposes heavy tariffs for instance on imported cotton from africa to protect its own inneficient cotton farmers, but demands we lift tariffs on the clothes they export back to us and unpaid apologists the paddy lo's of this world parrot such trash to us) close their markets and ensure thir  people bought the chinese and Indian equivalent of aba made until the local manufacturers perfected their game then and only then did they open up to the world, so also did the Indians that is why they are on the verge of overtaking the Americans and Europeans as the most productive country in the world. They only deregulated their economy after 3 decades of intense regulation had had prepared it to conquer the world not be conquered by it. We opened up too early and like all girls who open up too early we got mercilessly screwed and dumped. It was the protected omo mummy, who we laughed at as a square or egbe who became the beautiful bride because she came out when she was ready and was taken on her own terms.

We have been following the mantra of free market forces for 500 years now, from the time we sold ourselves (slavery) through the time we sold our country (colonialism) to the time we sell our wealth (so called independence). At every period we allow the west to decide the price of our goods. We end up indebted, impoverished and ruined and it is always those who preach these policies most zealously who get rich from them not we who bear the burden of them. The doctor imparting the medicine survives the patient reciving it dies. We are tired of being fooled  5 centuries of lies, theft and oppression is enough. We need a change.

Historically in this country, the best results have come from the few left leaning governments we've had not the dominat right wing ones. The Yoruba’s today are arguably the most educated section of the black race on earth due to the left wing polices of free education pursued by awolowo after he lifted them verbatim from the manifesto of the most radical  British Labour in British history the  party of Clement Attlee in 1952 introducing free education in Western Nigeria just 5 years after it was introduced in Britain which had a 400 year start on the country. TThe best roads ever in the country were built in the country by his public corporations with minimal contractor involvement.

Paddy lo gives tghe same guff about the need to deregulate inneficient bodies like NEPA and NITEL to make them more efficient. But how can NEPAbe eficient when the people running it are also the biggest importers of generators in the country and when these same people will loot its money to buy the company for themselves after it has been privatised

The Ibo’s built the first indigenous airstrip in Uli Ihiala with direct labour; they built roads, refineries and bridges with local materials with no so called contractor in sight. They distilled petrol from palm wine, they built missiles, from discarded butter and biscuit tins, through the use of popular participation and direct Government intervention. So Paddy lo don’t try to befuddle us with your empty statistics, your lies drip fed from our enemies in the IMF and World Bank. They might work in an examination hall. But the future of a nation is not decided in an examination hall.

History is made in real life, it’s only when it is settled that they put it in text books, for people like you to read (especially if it’s written by a foreigner) and quote meaningless statistics to befuddle, confuse and impress the unwary. Or as the immortal fela said “ den go quote big English for newspaper dabaru we Africans”
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by cap28: 11:22pm On Apr 18, 2010
paddy_lo:

So what you are saying is that low wage earners should not be protected from predatory employers because their jobs are of less value - are you aware that many low wage earners undertake the kind of work which is crucial for the proper functioning of  societies, the idea that these peoples work is of a lower status and therefore not worthy of any form of protection from multinational predators demonstrates to me how shallow your level of thinking is.

this is why nigeria is in the Poo state that it is in because the so called "educated professionals" reason like you , not everyone is going to be a white collar worker, for a society to advance propertly it needs, plumbers, electricans, builders,  nurses as well as surgeons, scientists and mathematicians but the educational system has to be up to a certain standard in order to produce these kind of individuals - the nigerian educational system is certainly not capable of producing quality graduates who can compete with graduates of western institutions, just in case you are unaware one of the conditions stipulated by the international financial institutions as a condition of FDI is to cut public expenditure  and the nigerian govt has complied with this by cutting public spending on education and health hence the deplorable state of schools and hospitals in the country all in a bid to attract this your wonderful FDI.

Also just in case you think you are safe from being on the receiving end of outsourcing i can tell you that many of the white collar jobs( particularly IT ) are not safe from outsourcing to countries where labour is cheap multinationals are not going to pay an american or european let alone a black person a huge salary for doing the same job that an indian or nigerian will do for a fraction of that salary.

also with the outsourcing of jobs the market becomes saturated with too many people chasing too few jobs and that leads to a knock on effect of depressed salaries, so again i think you are being over optimistic in the options that you think are available to you.

You champion what you see as the attributes of capitalism but you have failed to understand one of its most fundamental tenets the pursuit of profit AT ANY COST - be careful what you wish for lest it comes back to bite you in the backside.
Re: Bbc, Olusosun And Nigerian Middle Class Hypocrisy by olafolarin(m): 11:34pm On Apr 18, 2010
The Main Frust of any Sane Nation is to defend its citizen anywhere in the World.Be it Socialist,Communist or Capitalist.Despite   America's overbearing influence,Castro still Hold is Ground and tool Care of His citizens to the admiration of the entire populace.He Provider free Health Care,free Education and made sure that Basic infrastructures of Life are availavle for the entire populace.He survived many assasination attempts and choking Propaganda financed by the Americans.He is Loved and respected by His People.America's Foreign Policy on Cuba recently changed because of massive Oil deposits discovered  in Cuba.U.S. Will do anything to Explore those Oil Fields Even when it requires Kissing Castro's Balls.

Backk to Nigeria: With the massive Revenue accrued from Oil, Education should Be free to all nigerians from the Kindergarten to the University.With meagre Foreign earnings from Cocoa,Awolowo did free Education at all Levels for all Nigerians residing in the South-West then.Nigeria Students and graduates à more delusioned than Never beforein the history of Nigeria.
After spending almost $16B,OBJ could Not achieve à Stable Power supply for His poultry Not to Talk of Ogun State or the whole of Nigeria.Our Power Generation and Distribution capabilities is As archaic As it was in 1960 but the Irony is that we are now in 2010 and over $20B has been expended with nothing to Show for it.
Our roads are impAssable and unmotorable.Every Federal Road in Nigeria is either Bad or going Bad.The Benin-Ore Expressway has Not Seen any Repairs since it was constructed and so much Money was allocated for its repairs.

Except for Lagos State,Water Generation and Distribution is almost non-existent.Rail transportation is obsolette.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

National grazing bill has expired, says senate / Northern Elders Vow To Defend Buhari Presidency / Bukola Saraki Meets With Party Delegates And Executives In Cross River

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 273
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.