Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,146 members, 7,818,437 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know (39770 Views)

FG Approves Abolition Of HND/BSC Dichotomy / List Of HND Courses In Delta State Polytechnic, Ozoro / Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Nobody: 8:06am On Feb 06, 2018
Handsomecole:
The grammatical blunders in the write up is more than enough to discredit the article. "Prefer" instead of "Preferred " , just imagine " Here are the 6 reason" instead of "6 reasons" etc. Mtcheeew!!! . False hope.
Look, you'll see where OP wrote "presently now". Fraught with errors. I bet his type is one of the 'advantages' too. LOL
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Alezy(m): 8:06am On Feb 06, 2018
efesodje:

I have a BSc and MBA by the way.

Let me educate you a little: Overseas (in the UK, US,France et al) the HND is highly sought after as most technological jobs are available for them, but right now we are talking about Nigeria. Sadly a country where nothing works. A country where even a BSc holder cannot get a good paying job after graduation. A country that discriminates against HND holders. I could go on and on.

Cheers smiley
even in this country now, a lot of sectors even in banks now prefer the HND holders as the bsc cos they believe they know more and easy to pay.
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Klington: 8:08am On Feb 06, 2018
in nigeria, dairis a very thin line between HND and ssce

2 Likes

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Nobody: 8:08am On Feb 06, 2018
Alezy:
even in this country now, a lot of sectors even in banks now prefer the HND holders as the bsc cos they believe they know more and easy to pay.

I will agree with the point in bold. They see them as cheap labor. I hear some banks pay their tellers as low as 60k per month, most of these tellers have an OND and some unfortunate few have HND. Sad undecided

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Shaev7(m): 8:17am On Feb 06, 2018
Handsomecole:
The grammatical blunders in the write up is more than enough to discredit the article. "Prefer" instead of "Preferred " , just imagine " Here are the 6 reason" instead of "6 reasons" etc. Mtcheeew!!! . False hope.
People like you I know them, you know nothing but always spot people's errors or mistakes. If you are asked to speak in public, can you do it? Even within your mates, can you? Yet for an individual to write a short article, you condemn it! You are part of the "shithole" Trump refers to.
Some Nigerians don't encourage, but discourage people. If you evaluate your life properly you'll find out you are not moving forward. How does B.sc makes you successful over HND? How many people with degrees made it to the apex level if not self development? I guess you may be thinking that Higher institution teaches you how to speak English and makes you boss. Our HND ought to be school of Tech or Uni. of Tech but due to mishap of Nigeria, they tend to turn things the opposite side. My friend studied in Russia, School of Technology, you that have B.sc here in Nigeria even with your M.sc are you better than him? Are you even better than an O'level Certificate holder in China, Japan, USA or even some individuals in Nigeria?
"Check Yourself"- Ice Cube (O'Shea Jackson)

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Promisingchild: 8:18am On Feb 06, 2018
HND or Bsc, all I know is that Nigeria is worst than ever , I don even tired sef... imagine in my dear state, putting it on a notice requesting Bsc certificate for security.......

2 Likes

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Pharaoh001(f): 8:18am On Feb 06, 2018
kadreeG7:

''I applied for a job stating BSc as requirement'' and u are HND holder. continue!!
shut up! English is not a measure of intelligence. "and u are HND holder?" you too should ....listen to yourself.

3 Likes

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by priestchurch(m): 8:21am On Feb 06, 2018
U re extremely correct...

1 Like

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by kadreeG7(m): 8:30am On Feb 06, 2018
Pharaoh001:

shut up! English is not a measure of intelligence.
"and u are HND holder?" you too should
....listen to yourself.

never noticed any grammatical blunder in his post self.
what he typed is hard to believe nah....d company need d service of bsc and u applied as HND holder.
am sorry sha
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by donsimoniiblog: 8:34am On Feb 06, 2018
Visit www.donsimonii.com today for your stories, articles and gists...
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Nobody: 8:37am On Feb 06, 2018
Dapromzy333:
Here are the 6 reason why the polytechnic student have advantage over the university student:

all polytechnic graduates also have an edge when you consider some factors.

1. Affordable school fees: the average and common tuition fee charged by most of the polytechnic in Nigeria is less than N40,000. As such, polytechnic have make education affordable to all Nigerians Unlike the Varsity that some of them charge above N90,000 Some of this varsity are: Lasu, Unisoun, Ansu, Eksu, Aau And many other university.

2. Quick certificate : within 2 years, you can also be among the working class and some have succeeded with their National diploma ND certificate You don’t have to study for 5 years before you start earning salary with your certificate and this has been very
helpful, especially for those who have financial issues.

3. Change of study and environment: Yes, this is another benefit of polytechnic education.
You can decide to change your course of study after your national diploma if there any reason to do so. Moreso, you can run a national diploma programme in Lagos and continue your HND in another polytechnic in any part of Nigeria. You can also go further to study in the university in any prefer state.

4. Easy admission: Easily as it sound, polytechnic admission is
less competitive. There are some individual who have been running after university for over 5 to 6 year without any breakthrough.
Polytechnic have made admission easier, with one or two trials,
you will conquer the problem of admission.

5. Job opportunity: presently now, some job are design only for national diploma holder and Hnd holder and as such, there will be lesser competition for those with polytechnic Degree. In some industry, there will be specification that only Nd are
needed for a particular position which exclude BSC and HND
degree holder. You should also remember that to be Hnd result
holder, you must have ND certificate.

6. Equal Certificate: all things are been equal in the polytechnic…. all polytechnic result have the same value either private, northern, eastern or western polytechnic.
However the Varsity certificate are not equal and federal university certificate is more valuable and wanted to any
varsity certificate. Admission by Merits: Admission in some
university is by power, money, connection, intelligence and many other factors. You may have to pay a some of money before
you can be considered for admission in some university. However the polytechnic admission is by merit,
candidate that perform excellently will be offered admission regardless of the
course and the school. There is no room for Foul play in selection of
candidate.

https://www.solutionclass.com.ng/2018/02/6-advantage-of-hnd-over-bsc-you-should.html

lala

It's OND that has more Job opportunities, Not HND.

MEANWHILE Bsc will always be ahead of HND

2 Likes

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Tecno66: 8:41am On Feb 06, 2018
The main issue to me in all these is that an Hnd holder is not even employed as a lecturer in the polytechnic. The employ them as instructors. Nontheless you have made good points. You only pointed out some of the advantages that polytechnic education has over university education and your points are correct but the comments here makes it look as if what you said was that polytechnic education is better than university education.
Dapromzy333:
Here are the 6 reason why the polytechnic student have advantage over the university student:

all polytechnic graduates also have an edge when you consider some factors.

1. Affordable school fees: the average and common tuition fee charged by most of the polytechnic in Nigeria is less than N40,000. As such, polytechnic have make education affordable to all Nigerians Unlike the Varsity that some of them charge above N90,000 Some of this varsity are: Lasu, Unisoun, Ansu, Eksu, Aau And many other university.

2. Quick certificate : within 2 years, you can also be among the working class and some have succeeded with their National diploma ND certificate You don’t have to study for 5 years before you start earning salary with your certificate and this has been very
helpful, especially for those who have financial issues.

3. Change of study and environment: Yes, this is another benefit of polytechnic education.
You can decide to change your course of study after your national diploma if there any reason to do so. Moreso, you can run a national diploma programme in Lagos and continue your HND in another polytechnic in any part of Nigeria. You can also go further to study in the university in any prefer state.

4. Easy admission: Easily as it sound, polytechnic admission is
less competitive. There are some individual who have been running after university for over 5 to 6 year without any breakthrough.
Polytechnic have made admission easier, with one or two trials,
you will conquer the problem of admission.

5. Job opportunity: presently now, some job are design only for national diploma holder and Hnd holder and as such, there will be lesser competition for those with polytechnic Degree. In some industry, there will be specification that only Nd are
needed for a particular position which exclude BSC and HND
degree holder. You should also remember that to be Hnd result
holder, you must have ND certificate.

6. Equal Certificate: all things are been equal in the polytechnic…. all polytechnic result have the same value either private, northern, eastern or western polytechnic.
However the Varsity certificate are not equal and federal university certificate is more valuable and wanted to any
varsity certificate. Admission by Merits: Admission in some
university is by power, money, connection, intelligence and many other factors. You may have to pay a some of money before
you can be considered for admission in some university. However the polytechnic admission is by merit,
candidate that perform excellently will be offered admission regardless of the
course and the school. There is no room for Foul play in selection of
candidate.

https://www.solutionclass.com.ng/2018/02/6-advantage-of-hnd-over-bsc-you-should.html

lala
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by linearity: 8:47am On Feb 06, 2018
efesodje:

I have a BSc and MBA by the way.

Let me educate you a little: Overseas (in the UK, US,France et al) the HND is highly sought after as most technological jobs are available for them, but right now we are talking about Nigeria. Sadly a country where nothing works. A country where even a BSc holder cannot get a good paying job after graduation. A country that discriminates against HND holders. I could go on and on.

Cheers smiley

Stop misleading people, there is nothing like HND in the USA.

Two years community colleges in the US are structured like their counterparts in Nigeria in that you get an intermediate certificate that is good for employment but are far superior than ND in Nigeria because you can transfer community college courses to University.

1 Like

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Tecno66: 8:49am On Feb 06, 2018
Handsomecole:
Everybody makes mistakes especially when you just type and post without reading over what you have typed. Most grammatical errors you notice here are hurriedly typed posts.
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Burgerlomo: 8:55am On Feb 06, 2018
faithugo64:
True talk

But so long as you are in a country where paper speaks more than intelligence, go for Bsc

Nah wah ooo, but what about some oga @ D top wey no get either D paper or detergent abi wetin U call am self cool
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by sekem: 9:01am On Feb 06, 2018
This is nothing but a pure case of half-bread-is-better-than-none mentality

My dear op, just answer me this question with nothing but the truth

If you are offered to go for a university degree or a polytechnic cert, which one will you pick?
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by ProDNA: 9:05am On Feb 06, 2018
For reliable DNA tests please click on my username and check our signature for our contact numbers and office addresses.
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by jaychubi: 9:07am On Feb 06, 2018
Just when i thought i have seen it all then this grin grin grin grin

op d worst thing u can do to yourself is to lie to urself angry angry angry angry

i wont say more than this cool cool cool
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by wacoj(m): 9:09am On Feb 06, 2018
This is self consolation.
Never make the mistake of sending your child to a POLY..
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by samtes(m): 9:13am On Feb 06, 2018
Handsomecole:
you are here looking for grammatical erros or blunders like you state. if you cliam to know much better, why not form or creat your own story and tag it whatever so you can make a headline instead of you going about looking for people to correct and mork. smtch...

1 Like

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Nobody: 9:13am On Feb 06, 2018
linearity:

Stop misleading people, there is nothing like HND in the USA.

Two years community colleges in the US are structured like their counterparts in Nigeria in that you get an intermediate certificate that is good for employment but are far superior than ND in Nigeria because you can transfer community college courses to University.

In the US the HND equivalent is called an Associate's degree. My post was not misleading as I was refering to HNDs or its equivalents in the various aforementioned countries.

I for vex for you but it's too early. Have a nice day brother smiley
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by samtes(m): 9:24am On Feb 06, 2018
efesodje:

In the US the HND equivalent is called an Associate's degree. My post was not misleading as I was refering to HNDs or its equivalents in the various aforementioned countries.

I for vex for you but it's too early. Have a nice day brother smiley
good one bro. i love your courage and style. keep it up. leve dem wa say dem 2 sabi nd yet kept dere sabiness 4 dia pocket. make dem de dere ma pynt de wear dem. bad nigerians. always looking for people to call names
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by slimiyke(m): 9:25am On Feb 06, 2018
It baffles me how and when people with little or no practical knowledge and experience about real life situations make some senseless assertions concerning this issue of HND/BSC superiority and (labour) market control edge. These species of people probably don't seem to understand that there's more to being a graduate, its not all about which school you graduated from and how much school fees you paid but how you were able to develop yourself and work on your weaknesses. What's my point here? Develop yourselves and stop comparing certificates and institutions....Thanks.
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Nobody: 9:34am On Feb 06, 2018
Please, Please, Please stop comparing HND and Degree. They are not the same in any way.
I wonder why we try to force ourselves to believe that they are both equal. Infact, I used to be like that until I recently know better.
They are not the same at all. If you have HND in any discipline, try and get a degree in the same discipline and you will know the difference, don't just sit there and say one is better without a hands-on experience.
A/C no be Fan.
#IMO
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by lascodii(m): 9:37am On Feb 06, 2018
Trash
Lasu school fees is just 25k
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by EMIOMOADEOYE: 9:40am On Feb 06, 2018
No 5 is the BS-est of them all
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by ayokenny37(m): 10:19am On Feb 06, 2018
Maybe my story will change some people's perspective about this HND BSc issue

Finished SSCE I didn't want to do OND, waited at home for almost 3 years. After failed UNI admissions, eventually did Poly jamb once and got admitted to MAPOLY.

After OND, didn't want to do HND, waited for another 2 years. after failed Direct entries, got HND in Poly Ibadan.

During NYSC, I started reading and got certifications as an IT professional. I studied Elect/Elect at ND and HND level (lower credit).

My Current Job is the 4th after NYSC. Got multiple job offers in which I had to choose. Many BSc holders applied too.

My take home today is more than 150k. I also have many other investments which my years of practical experience had helped to achieve.

Summary: Time and Chance happens to us all

Gods Grace is the ultimate whether BSC or HND

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Duru009(m): 10:29am On Feb 06, 2018
Keep deceiving yourself !!
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Oladipoadeniji(m): 10:32am On Feb 06, 2018
DONT DECEIVE UR DESTINY AND FUTURE. GET A UNIVERSITY DEGREE TODAY IF U STILL CARRY THAT THING CALLED HND

1 Like

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by moshould(m): 11:19am On Feb 06, 2018
Ekwekwe ge kwenkwe ko ta
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by BlueRayDick: 11:26am On Feb 06, 2018
ayokenny37:
Maybe my story will change some people's perspective about this HND BSc issue

Finished SSCE I didn't want to do OND, waited at home for almost 3 years. After failed UNI admissions, eventually did Poly jamb once and got admitted to MAPOLY.

After OND, didn't want to do HND, waited for another 2 years. after failed Direct entries, got HND in Poly Ibadan.

During NYSC, I started reading and got certifications as an IT professional. I studied Elect/Elect at ND and HND level (lower credit).

My Current Job is the 4th after NYSC. Got multiple job offers in which I had to choose. Many BSc holders applied too.

My take home today is more than 150k. I also have many other investments which my years of practical experience had helped to achieve.

Summary: Time and Chance happens to us all

Gods Grace is the ultimate whether BSC or HND

You were just industrious, diligent, hardworking and most of all lucky. U engaged in self development which paved way for you.

You see all these are good, in fact If u hadn't gotten ur certifications and all, today u will just be like every other HND graduates who keeps getting discriminated against, doesn't get to apply for graduate trainee jobs in multinationals and someone who regrets going for HND instead of BSC.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but I can tell u HND graduates in present Nigeria don't have the same opportunities as their BSc counterparts which makes their case worse in this saturated labour market.
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Nobody: 11:38am On Feb 06, 2018
Many university graduates here are deceiving themselves. The Op is correct to an extent except for the school fees. That can be said to be relative.

I hold an OND certificate. I started work with it immediately I graduated. Let me gist you how I got the job.

I actually applied for a one year IT so as to go back for my HND. But when I got a message from the company, I was called together with other BSc holders for a position of a Quality Control Officer. We wrote tests and attended interviews. With all humility, I was one of the two picked for the role. Remember, i had only OND but I dusted all the Bsc holders in the tests and interviews. Unfortunately, during the documentation, the HR discovered I was just an OND holder and said i could not be accepted as the role was for a HND or BSc graduate. But in order not to discourage my excellent performance I was still offer a job as a Control clerk in the company. I left the company when I got admission through direct entry to a Federal university of technology.

I have passed through both polytechnic and university institutions. I can tell you polytechnics have better advantages except for administrative jobs. Private companies especially manufacturing companies, IT firms and account and finance preferred HND graduates not even because of the payment but for quality delivery. This is my observation.

In the overall, who YOU ARE is more important than what YOU HAVE (be it BSc or HND certificate).

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Npower: See Pictures Of My Friend PPA In Gombe State / Pictures Of The Newly Built Vetland School in Agege, Lagos / Hardest Course(s) You Did In School As An Undergraduate.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.