Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,991 members, 7,817,919 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:00 PM

6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know (39764 Views)

FG Approves Abolition Of HND/BSC Dichotomy / List Of HND Courses In Delta State Polytechnic, Ozoro / Nigeria Scraps Award Of HND Certificates By Polytechnics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by ayokenny37(m): 11:48am On Feb 06, 2018
well spoken with valid points.

That's why i ended my post with

Summary: Time and Chance happens to us all

Gods Grace is the ultimate whether BSC or HND

BlueRayDick:

You were just industrious, diligent, hardworking and most of all lucky. U engaged in self development which paved way for you.

You see all these are good, in fact If u hadn't gotten ur certifications and all, today u will just be like every other HND graduates who keeps getting discriminated against, doesn't get to apply for graduate trainee jobs in multinationals and someone who regrets going for HND instead of BSC.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but I can tell u HND graduates in present Nigeria don't have the same opportunities as their BSc counterparts which makes their case worse in this saturated labour market.

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by linearity: 12:32pm On Feb 06, 2018
efesodje:

In the US the HND equivalent is called an Associate's degree. My post was not misleading as I was refering to HNDs or its equivalents in the various aforementioned countries.

I for vex for you but it's too early. Have a nice day brother smiley

Associate degree is not HND.

Associate degree is the two year degree that I referenced in my prior post that you get from a community college.

As I stated previously, after associate degree; you can transfer courses done at the associate level to a University, which will reduce years spent in the University.

HND is a five years course, including the mandatory IT; you cannot compare that, to a two degree in a community college in the US....OND in Nigeria is the correct equivalent to an associate degree in the US, but they are not at par.
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Auchmani(m): 12:42pm On Feb 06, 2018
Makes no sense.
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Nobody: 12:49pm On Feb 06, 2018
linearity:

Associate degree is not HND.

Associate degree is the two year degree that I referenced in my prior post that you get from a community college.

As I stated previously, after associate degree; you can transfer courses done at the associate level to a University, which will reduce years spent in the University.

HND is a five years course, including the mandatory IT; you cannot compare that, to a two degree in a community college in the US....OND in Nigeria is the correct equivalent to an associate degree in the US, but they are not at par.

ok
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by moses93(m): 12:52pm On Feb 06, 2018
consolation things... mtcheeewww.
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by moses93(m): 1:01pm On Feb 06, 2018
Felixalex:
OP.. When u born pikin advise am to go polytechnic u hear? grin cheesy

Only number 2 seems to make some sense, yet it is ND that has that advantage, NOT HND as the topic suggests... Buh still, ND takes two years then the normal mandatory 1year I.T (that's 3years) before u get the ND certificate, a university student shd already be in his final year by then (without strike; which polytechnics also experience anyway).. If it's HND you want to attain, someone who started university same time with u would be concluding NYSC by the time u are writing ur final exams in school.

Easier to gain admission:: grin ask kadpoly applicants

Jobs designed for ND/HND only:: yes because the employers do NOT want to pay more than maybe 40k as salary and funny enough, those are the kinds of jobs where u would be used from AM to PM even on weekends.

All certificates are equal:: tell a yabatech graduate that he is the same with a kaura namoda (zamfara) graduate...

I don tire to type, like I said before if u born pikin advise am to go poly. Bye bye
jeez!! you made a very good points here. #INTELLIGENT
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Dalek(m): 1:04pm On Feb 06, 2018
kadreeG7:

''I applied for a job stating BSc as requirement'' and u are HND holder.
continue!!

just finished nysc den, was apply for any vacancy. hnd or bsc ko kan aiye

1 Like

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by olmoRoc: 2:52pm On Feb 06, 2018
You can top up your HND to a BA or a BSc, in just one year, through UK universities; even via distance learning, if you choose to go that route.
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by hope4life: 3:18pm On Feb 06, 2018
derespect:
Dey there dey give yourself false hope

I cannot laugh o. Chai. In this world, you can support anything with facts. 10 reasons why yahoo yahoo is better than hardwork just like anybody can quote Bible to support his weakness. While I comment ND and HND holders, the reality is varsity degrees are far better at least in Nigerian context
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Bigdaddy234: 3:21pm On Feb 06, 2018
Get a Company registered today with CAC & be your own Boss

Be your own Boss register your Business name, Limited company, church,club.......with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) of Nigeria with Accredited professionals .

Serious clients only.

Cal/Whatsapp number: 07034672434

We deliver your certificate at your doorstep!

Integrity Pays.
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by jmao: 4:01pm On Feb 06, 2018
QsAbdul:
Oga ur number one point is not always so, I paid 21500 as school fees from 100lvl to 500lvl at ABU Zaria. till date ABU sch fees including accommodation is not up to 45k.

Also point 2, I was full employed with a consultancy firm right from 300lvl as a quantity surveying student with full salary.

For admission, 95% of the students of polytechnics are students that could not get admitted into a university. we have seen cases where student abondon their poly programs for university as soon as they secure admission. But have ever even in ur imagination seen any student that abondon a university program for poly.

wheather HND, ND, B.SC or NCE, if you apply DE, you are starting all over from 200 level. The NIGERIA educational system is still having bug if you ask me. For any level of qualification to metamorphous irrespective of your certificate bring you back to 200l. This should tell a common man that is not your certificate both your creativity.
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Nobody: 6:16pm On Feb 06, 2018
enairaprof:
Many university graduates here are deceiving themselves. The Op is correct to an extent except for the school fees. That can be said to be relative.

I hold an OND certificate. I started work with it immediately I graduated. Let me gist you how I got the job.

I actually applied for a one year IT so as to go back for my HND. But when I got a message from the company, I was called together with other BSc holders for a position of a Quality Control Officer. We wrote tests and attended interviews. With all humility, I was one of the two picked for the role. Remember, i had only OND but I dusted all the Bsc holders in the tests and interviews. Unfortunately, during the documentation, the HR discovered I was just an OND holder and said i could not be accepted as the role was for a HND or BSc graduate. But in order not to discourage my excellent performance I was still offer a job as a Control clerk in the company. I left the company when I got admission through direct entry to a Federal university of technology.

I have passed through both polytechnic and university institutions. I can tell you polytechnics have better advantages except for administrative jobs. Private companies especially manufacturing companies, IT firms and account and finance preferred HND graduates not even because of the payment but for quality delivery. This is my observation.

In the overall, who YOU ARE is more important than what YOU HAVE (be it BSc or HND certificate).

I don't think you were offered an admission into any university of technology. I obtained my national diploma from a federal polytechnic, I finished with a distinction. I thought I would move to the in university to prove that polytechnic students are better. Unilag offered me a provisional admission and the struggle began. I met the creme de la creme from all over. Fucking intelligent peeps. The University is freaking tough and when I look back, I pity those polytechnic students who think they are better than their university counterparts. So if you met some screppy low level university graduates somewhere, be sure you were simply lucky. You wouldn't even stand a chance some other time.
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Nobody: 5:48am On Feb 09, 2018
writerights:

I don't think you were offered an admission into any university of technology. I obtained my national diploma from a federal polytechnic, I finished with a distinction. I thought I would move to the in university to prove that polytechnic students are better. Unilag offered me a provisional admission and the struggle began. I met the creme de la creme from all over. Fucking intelligent peeps. The University is freaking tough and when I look back, I pity those polytechnic students who think they are better than their university counterparts. So if you met some screppy low level university graduates somewhere, be sure you were simply lucky. You wouldn't even stand a chance some other time.
That's fallacy of hasty generalization. I graduated from FUTA. And I can say authoritatively that an average FUTA student is better than an average UNILAG. Unilag gets hype because of its location. To further buttress my point, during my 400level IT, we worked at a multinational company and during practicals and handling equipment we were better than your students. In fact unilag students confessed they had never handled microscope before. Meanwhile I learnt how to handle microscope in the polytechnic. By the grace of God, I also graduated with distinction in the poly even when the dept had not produce distinction for the past 5 years. I could have made first class too in the university but for wrong calculation and intellectual laziness on the part of the exam and record officer. Giving one's score to another without rechecking. Still I had s cgpa above 86%.

Most of the course we did in 400 and 500 levels were what we had done in ND 2.

One major advantage of the university is that students are exposed to a wide area of field through borrowed and elective courses while in polytechnic you face squarely your field of study.

University students therefore will have an idea of most many field of study but polytechnic students will have a depth understanding of an area of study

I repeat again, who you are is more important than what you have.

1 Like

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Nobody: 9:23am On Feb 09, 2018
enairaprof:
That's fallacy of hasty generalization. I graduated from FUTA. And I can say authoritatively that an average FUTA student is better than an average UNILAG. Unilag gets hype because of its location. To further buttress my point, during my 400level IT, we worked at a multinational company and during practicals and handling equipment we were better than your students. In fact unilag students confessed they had never handled microscope before. Meanwhile I learnt how to handle microscope in the polytechnic. By the grace of God, I also graduated with distinction in the poly even when the dept had not produce distinction for the past 5 years. I could have made first class too in the university but for wrong calculation and intellectual laziness on the part of the exam and record officer. Giving one's score to another without rechecking. Still I had s cgpa above 86%.

One major advantage of the university is that students are exposed to a wide area of field through borrowed and elective courses while in polytechnic you face squarely your field of study.

University students therefore will have an idea of most many field of study but polytechnic students will have a depth understanding of an area of study

Hasty generalization? That's rather funny because I gave a narrative based on my personal experience and not some cooked up stories. You're instead guilty of that fallacy by making unjustifiable claim of an average FUTA students being better than his Unilag counterpart without ever undertaking a programme in the institution. Well, if you choose to believe that, I really can't help the situation.

About practicals, I'd say without prejudice that polytechnics have been completely displaced and they've lost priority. I don't have all the time in the world to prove a point but anyone who is interested in knowing the difference should try both. A lot of my friends here who graduated from the yabatech, Ilaro, kwara and all over accedes to it. When I contact my friends who took DE to Ife and UI, they have similar story to share too.

Your last sentence is never the bone of contention here, if it were, I won't bother subjecting it to further discussion. However, I should inform you that what you have is a function of who you are. Don't get it twisted.
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Nobody: 9:38am On Feb 09, 2018
writerights:

Hasty generalization? That's rather funny because I gave a narrative based on my personal experience and not some cooked up stories. You're instead guilty of that fallacy by making unjustifiable claim of an average FUTA students being better than his Unilag counterpart without ever undertaking a programme in the institution. Well, if you choose to believe that, I really can't help the situation.

About practicals, I'd say without prejudice that polytechnics have been completely displaced and they've lost priority. I don't have all the time in the world to prove a point but anyone who is interested in knowing the difference should try both. A lot of my friends here who graduated from the yabatech, Ilaro, kwara and all over accedes to it. When I contact my friends who took DE to Ife and UI, they have similar story to share too.

Your last sentence is never the bone of contention here, if it were, I won't bother subjecting it to further discussion. However, I should inform you that what you have is a function of who you are. Don't get it twisted.
I will leave it at that. We both speak from our different background, exposures and experience. Each one is right from his point of view. If someone is not standing where you are standing, don't blame him for not seeing what you are seeing.
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Nobody: 10:15am On Feb 09, 2018
enairaprof:

I will leave it at that. We both speak from our different background, exposures and experience. Each one is right from his point of view. If someone is not standing where you are standing, don't blame him for not seeing what you are seeing.

I agree with you on this. Have a nice day.
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by happeningsmedia: 6:22am On Jun 07, 2018
No More HND! FG Scraps Polytechnic Education In Nigeria

The Nigerian Government has scrapped award of HND certificates by Polytechnics. The decision was reached at the Federal Executive Council, FEC today, where... https://happenings.com.ng/no-more-hnd-fg-scraps-politechnic-education-in-nigeria/?utm_source=cdnhappenings&utm_medium=Yinka&utm_campaign=CD

1 Share

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Hndholder(m): 11:14am On Jun 07, 2018
No advantages for HND
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Gamborima(m): 4:44am On Dec 15, 2018
Pls i'm holder of OND in the department of URP, and i graduate with upper credit, so i want to continior my study but i am Rude because, there is no B.tech URP in my state only HND we have it, and i dont want to go other state, and then if i go to the my state university they will give me B.sc Geography, pls help me with an advice even B.sc Geography or hnd URP is better
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Hndholder(m): 10:56am On Dec 18, 2018
Gamborima:
Pls i'm holder of OND in the department of URP, and i graduate with upper credit, so i want to continior my study but i am Rude because, there is no B.tech URP in my state only HND we have it, and i dont want to go other state, and then if i go to the my state university they will give me B.sc Geography, pls help me with an advice even B.sc Geography or hnd URP is better
Go for the Bsc Geography. You already have a Diploma in URP

1 Like

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Gamborima(m): 9:22am On Dec 19, 2018
Hndholder:

Go for the Bsc Geography. You already have a Diploma in URP
Ok bro, but is't there is no "wahala ko" in geography
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Hndholder(m): 10:45am On Dec 19, 2018
Remember it is degree not Diploma. Its University not Polytechnic. People hate HND more than faeces and polytechnic. safe your self from stress now

1 Like

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Nobody: 10:48am On Dec 19, 2018
Gamborima:

Wow
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Gamborima(m): 11:20am On Dec 19, 2018
writerights:

Wow
hmmm
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Hndholder(m): 3:24pm On Dec 20, 2018
Run away from Polytechnic
Run away from HND
You can not gain anything with HND

1 Like

Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Alanine1123: 6:59pm On Dec 25, 2018
Hndholder:
Run away from Polytechnic
Run away from HND
You can not gain anything with HND

Why, pls
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Hndholder(m): 11:00pm On Dec 25, 2018
HND is not wanted in Nigeria. It is a stress to who ever own it like me.
Unless you have degree you can not head or lecture in any higher school
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by Hndholder(m): 11:35am On Jan 08, 2019
I went back to obtain Bsc after PhD because I own HND I suffered o
Re: 6 Advantage Of HND Over BSC You Should Know by nurain150(m): 1:11am On Jan 02, 2022

shit hot one is catching yoh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Meet Thomas Fuller, African Math Genius Whose Intellect Shocked White People / Npower: See Pictures Of My Friend PPA In Gombe State / Pictures Of The Newly Built Vetland School in Agege, Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.