Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,593 members, 7,809,147 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:21 AM

Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos (81230 Views)

Ayobami Adebayo Wins £15,000 9mobile Prize For Literature / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Award For Literature In 1986(throwback Photo) / Ikeogu Oke Wins 2017 Nlng Prize For Literature (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by Ikuenami(m): 9:58pm On Feb 09, 2018
You will never see some tribe winning this type of award the only things they good at is killings, terrorist. raping , child marriage, lies and criminally minded
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by Adefemiaderoju1: 9:59pm On Feb 09, 2018
Its a good thing for one to be proud of he/her own culture, nice one.
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by luvprince4real(m): 10:03pm On Feb 09, 2018
eezeribe:

I hope he also wrote the essay in the language of his culture...
I hope the fabrics and materials he is using to represent his culture are products of his culture...
I hope the computer or pen and paper he used in writing the essay are products of his culture...
While other continents are advancing in science and technology,Africa is still obsessed with culture and religion...
it is a pity that after all ur effort u still make no sense. If u get sense u should know that Literature is all about Art.
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by Nobody: 10:06pm On Feb 09, 2018
eezeribe:

I hope the fabrics and materials he is using to represent his culture are products of his culture...
I hope the computer or pen and paper he used in writing the essay are products of his culture...
While other continents are advancing in science and technology,Africa is still obsessed with culture and religion...

You should change your moniker to ezeiberibe.

What’s wrong with the man’s attire? Would you say the thing to Jacob Zuma if he wore his native Zulu dress to a state function or a Tonga mp or athlete doing the same thing?

Inferiority complex is bad.

1 Like

Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by maisauki: 10:16pm On Feb 09, 2018
coolebux:
We're fully represented by our own
Igbo amaka

And for the ||| wailers of the Waste
You can now come and kill yourselves
what have you added to d development of your people
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by rumaabk(m): 10:16pm On Feb 09, 2018
ChangeIsCostant:
Here are photos from the formal presentation of the $100,000 (over N36million) NLNG prize for Literature to the erudite poet, Ikeogu Oke at Muson Centre, Lagos on Wednesday. Prolific writer, poet and journalist, Ikeogu Oke, rocked an unusual attire as he was awarded for winning the 2017 edition of the Nigerian Prize for Literature, with his “The Heresiad’’, after an intensive process of adjudication.

Meanwhile, president Muhammadu Buhari has congratulated Ikeogu Oke, for the award.

President Buhari commended Oke’s passion and commitment to lifting the genre of poetry in the country; an art that many shy away from due to the required discipline and focus, reflective thinking and unique style of writing.

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2018/02/ikeogu-oke-winner-of-nlng-sponsored-the-nigeria-prize-for-literature-for-his-book.html
This is what we are talking about not big brother naija.
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by Lilkini(m): 10:16pm On Feb 09, 2018
eezeribe:

Replace the "eez" in ur name with "ib" ..
it would sound better *iberibe* (stupidity).

dont go and write ur own,be typing nonfa here

1 Like

Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by Klington: 10:32pm On Feb 09, 2018
[s]
eezeribe:

[/s]
Jealousy has no other meaning.
Kill urself and runaway.

1 Like

Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by Nobody: 10:33pm On Feb 09, 2018
Ontarget:

That guy has a point. Imagine if Europeans or Asians strictly stuck with their old traditions do you think they would have advanced as they have done today? You need to drop the old ways as better ways of doing stuffs come up. There is no need dressing like that when there are modern clothings to make you look more appealing.
It's a dressing! What's so wrong with the fact that he dressed like that? Did that stop him from being the great writer that he clearly is? It's not like he dresses that way everyday! How does one's way of dressing stop them from advancing?

2 Likes

Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by Nobody: 10:36pm On Feb 09, 2018
eezeribe:

Well, Anything to be noticed
Well done
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by golaplumbers(m): 10:38pm On Feb 09, 2018
A great man that understood that no one or country can attain genuine development outside his traditional belief systems! Ask Koreans, Ask Chinese,Japanese, etc. unfortunately majority of Africa is yet to understand this! who will save Africa?

1 Like

Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by Virus777: 10:44pm On Feb 09, 2018
eezeribe:

You are seriously suffering from something known as low self-esteem. In your view, this man was wrong to have worn a traditional outfit, he should have worn a suit and tie, right?

Indians, Arabs, etc that still put on their native attires are idiots, right? You need a serious re-orientation cos daft people like you are the reason why our culture is being eroded on a daily basis, unintelligent folks like you are the reason why our languages are under the threat of extinction.

You think you made sense with your post but you are completely foolish.

2 Likes

Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by Galantis: 11:02pm On Feb 09, 2018
eezeribe:

religion, politics and culture. Recipe for disaster
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by HIPROFILE(m): 11:35pm On Feb 09, 2018
[quote author=eezeribe post=64927183]
While other continents are advancing in science and technology,Africa is still obsessed with culture and religion... [/quote

My brother how I wish our leaders think like this
Ooh how I wish

Serious food for thought....just look at us an oil producing country can not boast of a 100%/functional refinery...
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by HIPROFILE(m): 11:36pm On Feb 09, 2018
trustyshoess:

So he should just throw away his culture and pretend that he's western? What Are u saying? India and China are leading the world in technology and they speak their language and wear their attire with pride.
What kind of inferiority complex is this?

Oga it is very clear u do not understand what he meant
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by HIPROFILE(m): 11:47pm On Feb 09, 2018
Virus777:

You are seriously suffering from something known as low self-esteem. In your view, this man was wrong to have worn a traditional outfit, he should have worn a suit and tie, right?

Indians, Arabs, etc that still put on their native attires are idiots, right? You need a serious re-orientation cos daft people like you are the reason why our culture is being eroded on a daily basis, unintelligent folks like you are the reason why our languages are under the threat of extinction.

You think you made sense with your post but you are completely foolish.

Think deep into that guys comment..he is 100% right with his assertions, I wonder why some of you misunderstand him. he never said the man should've put on suit HE IS TALKING ABOUT OUR COUNTRY THINKING AND ACTING TOWARDS BECOMING A PRODUCING COUNTRY THAN CONSUMING.

Kindly note that no nation can ever have a strong economy when they depend on importation of virtually everything they use.

If only we are reasoning and acting towards this only then I will believe that Nigeria will ever be great again but so far we remain a consuming nation to the tone of importing toilet paper, tooth pick, rice etc there's no two ways about being great as a nation if we continue on the part we are at the moment.
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by Lordspicy(m): 12:40am On Feb 10, 2018
mema900:

Why nairaland no get dislike button sef
I tire ooo.. in fact at seun m my nd44 we need dislike button
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by HeyCorleone(m): 12:53am On Feb 10, 2018
eezeribe:

You made no sense at all.

And what is wrong with culture? So we should suffer from identity loss because we've embraced science and technology? Smh. Look at your nonsense write up. Very lacking in fact. More of an ignorant rambling. Or maybe it's a personal beef because the man's culture isn't same with yours.

You are not aware that the reason why Asian countries are doing well is because they've fused culture alongside science, so that their technologies are home based developed.

The reason why Africa is in this mess is because we're suffering from an identity crisis. Embracing everything European and American that our culture becomes disgusting to dogs like you. Smh.

I feel sorry for you.

You seem mentally deranged.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by iKON11(m): 1:55am On Feb 10, 2018
Trash.... What has this got to do with technology? Those white men you see in the pictures aren't dressed up in African costumes. They represent their culture too.
These are the types that refuse herbal medicine even when they are dying just because they are civilised
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by seguno2: 2:50am On Feb 10, 2018
ChangeIsCostant:
Here are photos from the formal presentation of the $100,000 (over N36million) NLNG prize for Literature to the erudite poet, Ikeogu Oke at Muson Centre, Lagos on Wednesday. Prolific writer, poet and journalist, Ikeogu Oke, rocked an unusual attire as he was awarded for winning the 2017 edition of the Nigerian Prize for Literature, with his “The Heresiad’’, after an intensive process of adjudication.

Meanwhile, president Muhammadu Buhari has congratulated Ikeogu Oke, for the award.

President Buhari commended Oke’s passion and commitment to lifting the genre of poetry in the country; an art that many shy away from due to the required discipline and focus, reflective thinking and unique style of writing.

Source; https://www.nationalhelm.co/2018/02/ikeogu-oke-winner-of-nlng-sponsored-the-nigeria-prize-for-literature-for-his-book.html

In addition to the congratulations, Buhari should give him a National Award.
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by Nobody: 3:11am On Feb 10, 2018
HeyCorleone:

You made no sense at all.

And what is wrong with culture? So we should suffer from identity loss because we've embraced science and technology? Smh. Look at your nonsense write up. Very lacking in fact. More of an ignorant rambling. Or maybe it's a personal beef because the man's culture isn't same with yours.

You are not aware that the reason why Asian countries are doing well is because they've fused culture alongside science, so that their technologies are home based developed.

The reason why Africa is in this mess is because we're suffering from an identity crisis. Embracing everything European and American that our culture becomes disgusting to dogs like you. Smh.

I feel sorry for you.

You seem mentally deranged.
Because you missed the point here, you are the one that seems deranged here. Read again or ramble all over.
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by jeroba1(m): 3:21am On Feb 10, 2018
eezeribe:

White men are promoting their culture, let us also promoting are own culture.

1 Like

Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by yazach: 3:54am On Feb 10, 2018
The Man na Nigerian, nop IPOB because he they wine and dine with Nigeria money
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by donsheddy1(m): 4:08am On Feb 10, 2018
doingood:
Afonjas will not like this
If you beg God for sense, will it kill you. Why being stupid like this nwannem?
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by jhubril(m): 4:28am On Feb 10, 2018
As for the mode of appearance there is very little to call the pride of belonging, albeit it appears to originate in that . The very repugnant emphasis on culture that is largely taken as an index of uniqueness or a sine quo non for cultural distinction is hateful and divisive . It gives tribalism a place to thrive. There is nothing recent in my respect for the Chinese. They are VERY ANCIENT yet VERY MODERN, and not very much emphasis is given to primitivity because not one but all cultures in the world emerged from that very condition.

But here in Africa the height of bad reasoning is when everyone begins to showcase his differences to the very extent of comparison . This mentality is bad ,and must be corrected.
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by jhubril(m): 4:41am On Feb 10, 2018
Elxandre:
Well, I think that man has a point.
The Chinese are just as culturally rich as we are, yet they don't show up in business and official gatherings dressed in shaolin robes.

And you seem to wonder why Nigeria is a very backward country. Do these people who are engaged in a shouting match think all that matters is culture? Is Africa more ancient than the rest of the world?
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by jhubril(m): 4:49am On Feb 10, 2018
Those silly people who say IDENTITY CRISIS or INFERIORITY COMPLEX directly accounts for the backwardness of Africa have unwittingly exhibited bad reasoning. Is it logical to say that any race to achieve greatness must exhibit SUPERIORITY COMPLEX or be drunk with IDENTITY? There is nothing to label as inferiority complex but stupidity.
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by jhubril(m): 5:05am On Feb 10, 2018
trustyshoess:

So he should just throw away his culture and pretend that he's western? What Are u saying? India and China are leading the world in technology and they speak their language and wear their attire with pride.
What kind of inferiority complex is this?

It is very much Everest how dumb people could be. So now you're saying that the Chinese are suffering INFERIORITY COMPLEX by not dressing in their Chinese robes in business and public institutions?
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by Born2Breed(f): 5:11am On Feb 10, 2018
eezeribe:

There is nothing wrong with promoting ones ethnicity.

Our ethnicity is our identify, those who shy away from it are not only rudderless but lost sheep.
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by enemmo(f): 5:57am On Feb 10, 2018
Nice....except the kito...maybe pal slippers or leather sandals.
Re: Ikeogu Oke's Dressing To Collect His N36m NLNG Prize For Literature In Lagos by Trump16: 6:09am On Feb 10, 2018
eezeribe:

Chai! such a sadist we have here.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Maria: The Sequel / African Literature - PDF Download / The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.