Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,194 members, 7,829,272 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet (4301 Views)

Ijaws Are The Most Beautiful Tribe In Nigeria. (Photos). / Igbos Should Do Away With The Osu Caste System / Igbo OR Ibo? What You Should Know. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by pazienza(m): 1:40pm On Feb 24, 2018
babacletus:

History of Onitsha According to - Nnamdi Azikiwe-
Prior to Nigerian independence in 1960 they were known not to have kings except perhaps for the Obi (from Oba: king) of Onitsha, hence the common saying: "Ibo enwero eze" (the Igbo has no king). Individual towns, clans and families see themselves as independent as they are very clannish. They are also known to look down on other peoples, hardly integrating with their hosts though also feigning friendliness. Not surprisingly foreigners see little motivation in investing and residing in their homeland. Indeed the name of one of their most prominent settlements, Onitsha, is said to be derived from Onini (to despise) and Ncha (others), meaning "one who despises others." Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, former Nigerian president and Igbo leader, even described the attitude as supercilious.

Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Genealogy and Nativity

"Thus, in tracing my paternal lineage, I could say that both parents of my father are direct descendants of Eze Chima. As for me, I can trace my paternal ancestry in this wise: I am the first son of Chukwuemeka, who was the third child and first son of Azikiwe, who was the second son of Molokwu, who was the third son of Ozomaocha, who was the second son of Inosi Onira, who was the fourth son of Dei, the second son of Eze Chima, the founder of Onitsha."
SOURCE - Nnamdi A zikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) "My Genealogy and Nativity" p4
http://nigeriavillagesquare.com/forum/main-square/75723-meaning-history-onitsha.html

"I can trace my maternal ancestry thus: I am the first son of Nwanonaku Rachel Chinwe Ogbenyeanu (Aghadiuno)Azikiwe, who was third daughter of Aghadiuno Ajie, the fifth son of Onowu Agbani, first daughter of Obi Udokwu, the son who descended from five Kings of Onitsha. Five of these rulers of Onitsha were direct lineal descendants of Eze Chima, who led his warrior adventurers when they left Benin to establish the Onitsha city state in about 1748 AD.
" SOURCE - Nnamdi Azikiwe: My Odyssey, Chapter I (Spectrum Books, 1970) "My Genealogy and Nativity" p5

"One day I asked her (grandmother) the meaning of the word 'Onitsha'. She explained that it had historical significance. The terminology meant one who despised another. It is a contraction of two words, Onini to despise, and Ncha meaning others. So that the two words when joined together mean one who despises others. Then I asked her why we despised others. She patted me on the back and told me that it was due to our aristocratic background and tradition. I insisted that she should explain to me the basis of this supercilious social attitude. She told me that we despised others because we descended from the Royal House of Benin and so regarded ourselves as the superiors of other tribes who had no royal blood in their veins, "

"I continued to belabor my grandmother to tell me more of the history and origins of the Onitsha people. She narrated that many many years ago, there lived at Idu (Benin) a great Oba who had many children. Due to a power struggle regarding the right of precedence among princes of the blood and other altercations, there was a civil war in Benin. One day, the supporters of one of the princes insulted and assaulted Queen Asije, the mother of of the Oba of Benin, who was accused of having trespassed on their farmland. Enraged at this evidence of indiscipline and lawlessness, the Oba ordered his war chief and brother, Gbunwala Asije to apprehend and punish the insurgents. In the attempt to penalise them, Chima, the ultimate founder of the Onitsha city-state, a prince of the blood in his own right, led the recalcitrants against his Uncle, Gbunwala. This intensified the civil war which rent the kingdom of Benin in two and led to the founding of Onitsha Ado N'Idu, , " "As the great trek from Benin progressed, some did not have the stout heart of the pioneer-warrior, and decided to settle at different places, known today as Onitsha -Ugbo, Onitsha-Olona, Onitsha-Mili, Obior

That's onitsha history from the great zik of Africa and not just anybody on nairaland

Lol!

Unfortunately, Zik wasn't the custodian of Onitsha culture and history.
He was a politician looking to make alliances and win votes, and would have even linked Onitsha to Yorubas to achieve that, if it would help him.
Emegwali under immense pressure from Yoruba attack dogs on internet , also propounded a fairy tale story of Onitsha being derived from Orisha and Onitsha having Yoruba links, in bid to suck up to his Yoruba assailants and keep them off his back.

Only the word of Obi of Onitsha matters in history of Onitsha, as the custodian of Onitsha culture.
And he had repeatedly upheld Onitsha Igbo identity, starting from the Igbo progenitor, Ezechima , who lived in Ado, in Idu(Bini). grin

And by the way, there is no link whatsoever between Obi and Oba.
They are not pronounced alike. If they are writing with using Greek, Chinese, or Russian alphabet, they wouldn't look alike.

3 Likes

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by babacletus: 1:44pm On Feb 24, 2018
pazienza:

Lol!

Unfortunately, Zik wasn't the custodian of Onitsha culture and history.
He was a politician looking to make alliances and win votes, and would have even linked Onitsha to Yorubas to achieve that, if it would help him.
Emegwali under immense pressure from Yoruba attack dogs on internet , also propounded a fairy tale story of Onitsha being derived from Orisha and Onitsha having Yoruba links, in bid to suck up to his Yoruba assailants and keep them off his back.

Only the word of Obi of Onitsha matters in history of Onitsha, as the custodian of Onitsha culture.
And he had repeatedly upheld Onitsha Igbo identity, starting from the Igbo progenitor, Ezechima , who lived in Ado, in Idu(Bini). grin
We are not discussing identity but ancestry, and they corroborate that there ancestry is from Benin abi Igbo ppl dey benin? If I say I descended from migrants in Kaduna, what does that make me

So the great zik of Africa lied about his ancestry to win election, wow when will the Hausas and Yorubas do this to win election

1 Like

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by babacletus: 1:45pm On Feb 24, 2018
And by the way, there is no link whatsoever between Obi and Oba.
They are not pronounced alike.
Can you list the kings that have the title Obi & the chancellors list too I haven't forgotten
Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by pazienza(m): 1:52pm On Feb 24, 2018
babacletus:

Ndoki rejected who? We are talking of ancestry and you talking of tribal allegiance in Abia state, many families in Ndoki are of Ijaw ancestry, the same Arochukwu where majority are of Ibibio ancestry, 100% of Akrika indegenes speaks Ibibio/Annang, 70% of Igbos are of non-igbo ancestry so remove the log from your eyes first

I'm still waiting for the chancellors lists

Ndoki History

The Ndoki people of Nigeria are inhabitants of the lower Niger Delta basin. Most of our people are located on the southeastern section of the Imo River and the Aba/Azumini River. Our neighbors are the Annangs in Akwa Ibom State to the east, Ngwa people to the north, Asa clan to the west and the Ogonis to the south.

The Justice Mamman Nasir boundary adjustment commission of 1976 balkanized the Ndokis. The commission divided our clan between three different states, Abia State, Akwa Ibom State and Rivers State. Ndoki people occupy all of the present day Ukwa East Local Government Area of Abia State, seventeen of the twenty villages of Oyibo Local Government Area of Rivers State and three villages in Ukanafun Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State.

There have been several historical documentations about how the Ndokis migrated to their present day homeland. The most commonly accepted belief is that we are culturally and philosophically related to the Bonny and the Opobo people of Rivers State.  History tells us that Eze, the founder of Ndoki, settled in Obunku Okwanku. His three sons, Ihu Eze, Nwankwo Eze and Iloko Eze, upon attaining adulthood left home to set up their own homestead. Ihu, being the oldest stayed closer to home. Nwankwo and his offsprings founded Azumini, Akirika and the related villages collectively known as Ikwuoriator. Ihu and his children founded the Umu Ihueze group of villages, which includes Umuagbai and Afam. Iloko and his children founded the Ikwueke group of villages, which includes Akwete and Obohia.

Ndoki land and Ndoki people have contributed immensely towards the development of Nigeria. There are several capped oil well reserves and producing oil facilities in the area. The Afam electric power plant is located in Okoloma, an
Ndoki town. The famous Akwete weaving industry and the Azumini Blue River resort are some of the few things our homeland is known for.

http://ndokiassembly.com/about-us/

I don't see any Ijaw name in that genealogy.

Does Eze, the Ndoki progenitor sound Ijaw to you?

Does Nwankwo, Ihu and Iloko, the sons of Eze sound Ijaw to you?

2 Likes

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by pazienza(m): 1:55pm On Feb 24, 2018
babacletus:

Can you list the kings that have the title Obi & the chancellors list too I haven't forgotten

The question should be, does the word Obi have any etymological base in Bini language? Does it have any significance in Bini language?

Why should anyone be even linking it to Bini, if not madness?

Outside the Igbo language realm, Obi as the title of a king, has no meaning.

How about you let that sink in?

2 Likes

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by pazienza(m): 1:58pm On Feb 24, 2018
babacletus:

We are not discussing identity but ancestry, and they corroborate that there ancestry is from Benin abi Igbo ppl dey benin? If I say I descended from migrants in Kaduna, what does that make me

So the great zik of Africa lied about his ancestry to win election, wow when will the Hausas and Yorubas do this to win election

No, he told you that his progenitor Eze Chima was from Bini.
What he didn't tell you was that Bini people don't answer Eze, let alone Chima as a name.
He didn't tell you that Ezechima was not a Bini indigene, but a stranger, who was of Igbo origin, and had to go back to the East, when he fell out of favour with the Oba of Bini.

Yes, there were many Igbo people, who resided in ancient Bini empire, and played prominent roles there. Eze Chima was one of them.

1 Like

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by babacletus: 2:00pm On Feb 24, 2018
pazienza:

The question should be, does the word Obi have any etymological base in Bini language? Does it have any significance in Bini language?

How about you list the kings that bear the title Obi and stop beating around the bush by telling me how to aske questions
Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by babacletus: 2:01pm On Feb 24, 2018
pazienza:

Is the chancellors list also outside the Igbo mans realm
Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by pazienza(m): 2:02pm On Feb 24, 2018
babacletus:

How about you list the kings that bear the title Obi and stop beating around the bush by telling me how to aske questions

To what's end? All Obi bearing kings are Igbo speaking .
How about listing a Bini speaking Obi?

1 Like

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by babacletus: 2:08pm On Feb 24, 2018
pazienza:

Ndoki History

The Ndoki people of Nigeria are inhabitants of the lower Niger Delta basin. Most of our people are located on the southeastern section of the Imo River and the Aba/Azumini River. Our neighbors are the Annangs in Akwa Ibom State to the east, Ngwa people to the north, Asa clan to the west and the Ogonis to the south.

The Justice Mamman Nasir boundary adjustment commission of 1976 balkanized the Ndokis. The commission divided our clan between three different states, Abia State, Akwa Ibom State and Rivers State. Ndoki people occupy all of the present day Ukwa East Local Government Area of Abia State, seventeen of the twenty villages of Oyibo Local Government Area of Rivers State and three villages in Ukanafun Local Government Area of Akwa Ibom State.

There have been several historical documentations about how the Ndokis migrated to their present day homeland. The most commonly accepted belief is that we are culturally and philosophically related to the Bonny and the Opobo people of Rivers State.  History tells us that Eze, the founder of Ndoki, settled in Obunku Okwanku. His three sons, Ihu Eze, Nwankwo Eze and Iloko Eze, upon attaining adulthood left home to set up their own homestead. Ihu, being the oldest stayed closer to home. Nwankwo and his offsprings founded Azumini, Akirika and the related villages collectively known as Ikwuoriator. Ihu and his children founded the Umu Ihueze group of villages, which includes Umuagbai and Afam. Iloko and his children founded the Ikwueke group of villages, which includes Akwete and Obohia.

Ndoki land and Ndoki people have contributed immensely towards the development of Nigeria. There are several capped oil well reserves and producing oil facilities in the area. The Afam electric power plant is located in Okoloma, an
Ndoki town. The famous Akwete weaving industry and the Azumini Blue River resort are some of the few things our homeland is known for.

http://ndokiassembly.com/about-us/

I don't see any Ijaw name in that genealogy.

Does Eze, the Ndoki progenitor sound Ijaw to you?

Does Nwankwo, Ihu and Iloko, the sons of Eze sound Ijaw to you?
This is one account, another accounts puts their founder as Isedani, even in this history points to the Ibani Ijaw people whose first migrants from Kolukuma also founded Ndoki(Aminadokiari) , thats why you can see a town called Okoloma(the native name for Bonny Kingdom) , majority still have their Ijaw surnames
Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by babacletus: 2:09pm On Feb 24, 2018
pazienza:

To what's end? All Obi bearing kings are Igbo speaking .
How about listing a Bini speaking Obi?
Name them first, let me be the judge, look for it beside the chancellors list
Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by babacletus: 2:19pm On Feb 24, 2018
pazienza:

No, he told you that his progenitor Eze Chima was from Bini.
What he didn't tell you was that Bini people don't answer Eze, let alone Chima as a name.
He didn't tell you that Ezechima was not a Bini indigene, but a stranger, who was of Igbo origin, and had to go back to the East, when he fell out of favour with the Oba of Bini.

Yes, there were many Igbo people, who resided in ancient Bini empire, and played prominent roles there. Eze Chima was one of them.

continued to belabor my grandmother to tell me more of the history and origins of the Onitsha people. She narrated that many many years ago, there lived at Idu (Benin) a great Oba who had many children. Due to a power struggle regarding the right of precedence among princes of the blood and other altercations, there was a civil war in Benin. One day, the supporters of one of the princes insulted and assaulted Queen Asije, the mother of of the Oba of Benin, who was accused of having trespassed on their farmland. Enraged at this evidence of indiscipline and lawlessness, the Oba ordered his war chief and brother, Gbunwala Asije to apprehend and punish the insurgents. In the attempt to penalise them, Chima, the ultimate founder of the Onitsha city-state, a prince of the blood in his own right, led the recalcitrants against his Uncle, Gbunwala. This intensified the civil war which rent the kingdom of Benin in two and led to the founding of Onitsha Ado N'Idu
Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by pazienza(m): 2:23pm On Feb 24, 2018
babacletus:

This is one account, another accounts puts their founder as Isedani, even in this history points to the Ibani Ijaw people whose first migrants from Kolukuma also founded Ndoki(Aminadokiari) , thats why you can see a town called Okoloma(the native name for Bonny Kingdom) , majority still have their Ijaw surnames

There is no such history.
History is that Opobo and Bonny was the meeting point of Ijaws and Igbos ( Ndoki Igbos)

That's why we have Okoloma and Okoroma existing in both sides of the divide.
The Aminadokiari is a fraudulent history pushed by Ijaws with the help of few rogues from Ndoki who feels that there is crude oil and money to be made by associating with Ijaw.
The traditional Ndoki institutions don't support such fraudulent history. I know this because i have an Azumini friend and have been in Azumini before, with Azumini being the cultural center of Ndokiland.

1 Like

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by pazienza(m): 2:27pm On Feb 24, 2018
babacletus:

continued to belabor my grandmother to tell me more of the history and origins of the Onitsha people. She narrated that many many years ago, there lived at Idu (Benin) a great Oba who had many children. Due to a power struggle regarding the right of precedence among princes of the blood and other altercations, there was a civil war in Benin. One day, the supporters of one of the princes insulted and assaulted Queen Asije, the mother of of the Oba of Benin, who was accused of having trespassed on their farmland. Enraged at this evidence of indiscipline and lawlessness, the Oba ordered his war chief and brother, Gbunwala Asije to apprehend and punish the insurgents. In the attempt to penalise them, Chima, the ultimate founder of the Onitsha city-state, a prince of the blood in his own right, led the recalcitrants against his Uncle, Gbunwala. This intensified the civil war which rent the kingdom of Benin in two and led to the founding of Onitsha Ado N'Idu

No Bini prince goes by Igbo name, EZE CHIMA, common sense should have Atleast taught you that, don't you think so?

Again, neither Zik nor his grandma are the custodians of Onitsha culture.
We would always look up to the Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Achebe himself for Onitsha origin and culture, don't you think so?

1 Like

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by pazienza(m): 2:30pm On Feb 24, 2018
babacletus:

Name them first, let me be the judge, look for it beside the chancellors list

The list of Obis in Igbo speaking realm is your headache, not mine, so if you want them so bad, go search for them and list them, then tell me the point you want to prove with the list.

For as long as I'm concerned, all Obi are Igbo speaking, from Obi of Nsugbe, to Obi of Nnewi, to Obi of Onitsha and even far flung Agbor.

1 Like

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by pazienza(m): 2:30pm On Feb 24, 2018
babacletus:

Is the chancellors list also outside the Igbo mans realm

1 Like

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by babacletus: 2:33pm On Feb 24, 2018
pazienza:

No Bini prince goes by Igbo name EZE CHIMA common sense should have Atleast taught you that, don't you think so?

Again, neither Zik nor his grandma are the custodians of Onitsha culture.
We would always look up to the Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Achebe himself for Onitsha origin and culture, don't you think so?
But common sense made you to always say Jaja was, the great zik and his grand mama (people of uncommon sense) are custodians of the onitsha ppl as they are both people of high repute in the onitsha society
Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by pazienza(m): 2:43pm On Feb 24, 2018
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
babacletus:

But common sense made you to always say Jaja was, the great zik and his grand mama are custodians of the onitsha ppl as they are both people of high repute in the onitsha society

Lol!

Jaja history is well known nah.
The young boy from Amaigbo who rose to prominence in Ijawland and went on to found Opobo.

Infact, Eze Chima would have risen to become a king in Bini as well, if not because circumstances were against him, forcing him to flee for his life.

No be today Igbo man started standing out in strange lands!
If Jaja didn't find Opobo after he lost out in the power play at Bonny and left the place with many Ijaw and Igbo (slaves) , he would have been forced to return to Igboland( Ndoki axis for proximity sake like Ezechima was forced to return to Igboland, when he lost out in the royal power play at Bini) , and not necessarily to Amaigbo, and maybe today, we would be told how Jaja, an Ijaw migrated from Ijawland to Igboland, with nobody remembering that it was a reverse migration.

No, we can't take Zik politically polished history. You are appealing to authority here, and it's a fallacy.

The custodian of Onitsha history and culture, remains the Igwe of Onitsha.

2 Likes

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by pazienza(m): 2:49pm On Feb 24, 2018
Yoruba: Onitsha, Orisha
by Philip Emeagwali
I am a Yoruba by birth (born in Akure, western region) and Igbo by heritage. As a native Onitsha Igbo, I trace my ancestry to Eze Chima, a prince who rebelled against the Benin royal dynasty and emigrated from the kingdom. Other Igbos that trace their lineage to Eze Chima include Onicha-Ukwu, Onicha-Olona, Onicha-Ugbo, Obior, Issele-Ukwu, Issele-Mkpima, Issele-Azagba, Ezi, Abeh and Obamkpa.

Native Onitshans speak a dialect of the Igbo language with several Benin/Yoruba words such as "Obi" (of Onitsha) and "Oba" (of Benin). In fact, the word Onitsha (Onicha) is a corruption of the god "Orisha." The bini name for River Niger is Ohinmwin. The Onicha Igbo call it "Orinmili." In a few years, we will have DNA tests that proves (or disproves) the Onitsha-Benin-Yoruba connection

In fact, a lost dialect of the Yoruba language, called Olukwumu, is spoken in Brazil and in a few Igbo communities named Anioma, Idumu-Ogu, Ubulubu, Ugboba, Ugbodu, and Ukwunzu (M. A. Onwuejeogwu, 1987 Ahiajoku Lecture). The absence Olukwumu in core Yoruba land proves that these communities are the Lost Yoruba Tribe that were fleeing from slave raiders.

1 Like

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by pazienza(m): 2:53pm On Feb 24, 2018
Some time ago, the Yoruba media came down hard on Emegwali, labelling him fraud and all kinds of obscenity thrown at his person, all because he was Igbo and not Yoruba .
The Igbos came out in full force to defend Emegwali, it was a real war on NL and facebook then, even on Nigerian village square.

Emegwali, in a bid to appeal to tribal sense of kindred of Yorubas, came up with the above rltrash article and history distortion , in a bid to make them( Yorubas) accept him as one of their own and to stay off his back.

1 Like

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by babacletus: 3:02pm On Feb 24, 2018
pazienza:
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

Lol!

Jaja history is well known nah.
The young boy from Amaigbo who rose to prominence in Ijawland and went on to found Opobo.

Infact, Eze Chima would have risen to become a king in Bini as well, if not because circumstances were against him, forcing him to flee for his life.

No be today Igbo man started standing out in strange lands!
If Jaja didn't find Opobo after he lost out in the power play at Bonny and left the place with many Ijaw and Igbo (slaves) , he would have been forced to return to Igboland( Ndoki axis for proximity sake like Ezechima was, , and not necessarily to Amaigbo, and maybe today, we would be told how Jaja, an Ijaw migrated from Ijawland to Igboland.

No, we can't take Zik politically polished history. You are appealing to authority here, and it's a fallacy.

The custodian of Onitsha history and culture, remains the Igwe of Onitsha.
Not that it matters because Jaja was an acculturated Ibani citizen, if he wasn't adopted he would have been sold along many igbos to the British, Jaja sam Annie pepple didn't find Opobo, Opobo location was found by the Chief he succeeded (Iloli) during the war between Bonny and Andoni, which they all agreed would be their next destination, when they lost out to the rival Oko Jumbo house the entire Opubo group(comprising of 15 chiefs including Jaja Sam Annie Pepple) left to found Opobo that is why the name of the kingdom is Opubo ama. Jaja was a great man but I always wonder why the same Igbos who sold him feel they can use it to spite Ijaws,

Ezechima is also well known amongst other formerly non-igbo people, he wasn't a slave or an adopted child he was described as a young man from Bini, so if claim Jaja was an Igbo man from amaigbo despite bearing an Ijaw name why can't ezechima a man described as an edo prince(not a slave or an adopted child) be a Benin,
If everyone from amaigbo was igbo, then everyone from Benin is Edo

1 Like

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by pazienza(m): 4:00pm On Feb 24, 2018
babacletus:

Not that it matters because Jaja was an acculturated Ibani citizen, if he wasn't adopted he would have been sold along many igbos to the British, Jaja sam Annie pepple didn't find Opobo, Opobo location was found by the Chief he succeeded (Iloli) during the war between Bonny and Andoni, which they all agreed would be their next destination, when they lost out to the rival Oko Jumbo house the entire Opubo group(comprising of 15 chiefs including Jaja Sam Annie Pepple) left to found Opobo that is why the name of the kingdom is Opubo ama. Jaja was a great man but I always wonder why the same Igbos who sold him feel they can use it to spite Ijaws,

Ezechima is also well known amongst other formerly non-igbo people, he wasn't a slave or an adopted child he was described as a young man from Bini, so if claim Jaja was an Igbo man from amaigbo despite bearing an Ijaw name why can't ezechima a man described as an edo prince(not a slave or an adopted child) be a Benin,
If everyone from amaigbo was igbo, then everyone from Benin is Edo

Opobo was founded by Jaja, Opobo is his ancestral estate and that his descendants.
He can't be a man from Bini, with the Igbo name, Ezechima. He retained his Igbo name because he is free born, like you already noticed. We all know that Jaja original name was Mbanaso.

We don't clam that Jaja was an Igbo man from Amaigbo, history records that Jaja was an Igbo man from Amaigbo, there is a difference between the two, and we see this in the Igbo indigenous language of Opobo people.

Ezechima can't be Bini, because he was never Bini. He was an Igbo man, as reflected by his original name, and returned back to Igboland in due course.
It's not the same thing as Jaja as Jaja didn't have the privilege of making it back to Igboland, he founded a new land called Opobo instead.

What do you mean by formerly non Igbo people? grin

2 Likes

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by babacletus: 6:01pm On Feb 24, 2018
pazienza:

Opobo was founded by Jaja, Opobo is his ancestral estate and that his descendants.
He can't be a man from Bini, with the Igbo name, Ezechima. He retained his Igbo name because he is free born, like you already noticed. We all know that Jaja original name was Mbanaso.

We don't clam that Jaja was an Igbo man from Amaigbo, history records that Jaja was an Igbo man from Amaigbo, there is a difference between the two, and we see this in the Igbo indigenous language of Opobo people.

Ezechima can't be Bini, because he was never Bini. He was an Igbo man, as reflected by his original name, and returned back to Igboland in due course.
It's not the same thing as Jaja as Jaja didn't have the privilege of making it back to Igboland, he founded a new land called Opobo instead.

What do you mean by formerly non Igbo people? grin
Opobo is not any ancestral estate its a kingdom of Ibani people from the Opubo family headed by an Amanyanabo & Alaapu council, that is why the name is Opubo ama or anglicized as Opobo,

Back to our bini prince

Ezechima was Benin because he was a Benin prince and founded Onitsha n'Edo, he didn't return to "igbo land" because he was a Benin Prince and only left Benin like many other princes to establish a territory of their own, he wasn't born in Igbo land, his father wasn't an Igbo man, his hometown was in Benin, he wasn't a slave, an adopted child or even a business man and he descendants like Great Zik & The Obi(Oba) still point towards home(Benin) when talking about their history, Onitsha history can't begin without talking of the Benin Prince

Now to the numerous cases of non igbo

People who are not igbo, like the Akrika, Ibeme people whose indigenous language is the Annang/Ibibio or the Arochukwu, Abriba people who speak Ibibio like there lives depend on it, or Nkanu people of Idoma ancestry or Ndoki people & towns of Ijaw ancestry like Paul Taribo & Okoloama, Osubie etc
Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by pazienza(m): 9:24pm On Feb 24, 2018
babacletus:

Opobo is not any ancestral estate its a kingdom of Ibani people from the Opubo family headed by an Amanyanabo & Alaapu council, that is why the name is Opubo ama or anglicized as Opobo,

Back to our bini prince

Ezechima was Benin because he was a Benin prince and founded Onitsha n'Edo, he didn't return to "igbo land" because he was a Benin Prince and only left Benin like many other princes to establish a territory of their own, he wasn't born in Igbo land, his father wasn't an Igbo man, his hometown was in Benin, he wasn't a slave, an adopted child or even a business man and he descendants like Great Zik & The Obi(Oba) still point towards home(Benin) when talking about their history, Onitsha history can't begin without talking of the Benin Prince

Now to the numerous cases of non igbo

People who are not igbo, like the Akrika, Ibeme people whose indigenous language is the Annang/Ibibio or the Arochukwu, Abriba people who speak Ibibio like there lives depend on it, or Nkanu people of Idoma ancestry or Ndoki people & towns of Ijaw ancestry like Paul Taribo & Okoloama, Osubie etc

Opobo is a property of Jaja and his descendants.

No Bini prince in Bini, bears an Igbo name, such as Ezechima.
Common sense should have told that already.
Akrika people are descendants of a man called Ihu Eze, they speak Igbo language. Does any of the above sound Ijaw to you? Or are they the formerly non Igbo people you speak of? grin

The Obi of Onitsha, Igwe Achebe speaks of ancient Igbo communities in Bini and as far as in Ife, go figure.

No Abriba person speaks Ibibio without learning it first.
Abriba are proud Igbo people.

Paul taribo I heard, had an Ijaw grandmother who gave the father the name.
No Ndoki person knows the meaning of Taribo without first learning it. It makes no meaning in Ndoki language, which is Igbo language.

2 Likes

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by isalegan2: 9:57pm On Feb 24, 2018
Some interesting history being discussed here. Kudos!
Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by FulaniTerrorist: 3:20am On Feb 26, 2018
Amarabae:

Ogogoro drunkards have no history.
Go and sandfill ur swampy underdeveloped ijaw land before talking about Igbos.
Even if the Igbos sleep for 1000years,ijaws can never catch up to us,
We are naturally superior.
So keep shut .
The only man being celebrated in una pathetic history is jaja of opobo who is Igbo ,
Apart from him, nobody.
You lots are very irrelevant to the world.
Who know una in Lagos, tell me one ijaw investment in Lagos?
Lol, Lagos is not Kai Kai joint .
Igbos and yorubas relate well In the outside world, so shalap.
And who knows una king?
Tell me one ijaw king that is up to Obi of onitsha in popularity?
No ijaw king has ever been a chancellor of a university in the federal system, that is to show you that you lots are not relevant but our obi and some Igwes are chancellors.
We are ahead of una, you think that sabo during Biafra will make una ahead of Igbos?
Miserable lots.

The person you quoted is not Ijaw and I'm sure you're not Igbo

Igbos don't have problem with Ijo, both of you are not of Igbo or Ijo,
Anything is possible for Afonjas here
Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by FulaniTerrorist: 3:47am On Feb 26, 2018
pazienza:

Obi have meaning in Igbo language

Obi means 'head of system'
Just like our ancestors thought that the heart is the controller of the body they call it Obi, while it's the brain

In my village and neighboring villages in IMO state we, we all have ''Obi-ama". It's built like a hall, its where the village heads meet.
So Obi is means "central engine that control things within''

So Obi as a traditional leader have meaning (leader/head)
Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by valentineuwakwe(m): 9:28am On Feb 26, 2018
i am from rivers state so so sentiments attach here...this thread is unneccessary and i dont know what yoh stand to gain from it....you are only trying to cause disunity among the ijaws and the igbos. .....its against the unity of this countrh the govt is canvassing for.....you are lucky we did not go don deep, by now you for dey abuja dey explain ur self.....

1 Like

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by pazienza(m): 4:27pm On Feb 26, 2018
FulaniTerrorist:

The person you quoted is not Ijaw and I'm sure you're not Igbo

Igbos don't have problem with Ijo, both of you are not of Igbo or Ijo,
Anything is possible for Afonjas here

The OP is Ijaw, and Amarabae is a bona-fide Igbo daughter.

1 Like

Re: When Ijaws Speak, Igbos Should Know When To Respectfully Keep Quiet by pazienza(m): 4:37pm On Feb 26, 2018
FulaniTerrorist:

Obi have meaning in Igbo language

Obi means 'head of system'
Just like our ancestors thought that the heart is the controller of the body they call it Obi, while it's the brain

In my village and neighboring villages in IMO state we, we all have ''Obi-ama". It's built like a hall, its where the village heads meet.
So Obi is means "central engine that control things within''

So Obi as a traditional leader have meaning (leader/head)

I wrote that Obi as a king has no meaning OUTSIDE the Igbo realm.

It means that Obi as a king title can only be explained in Igbo language , culture and customs.

By the way, Obi- Heart and Obi -King's title are not pronounced alike. And are not related.

Obi- A kindred, a community, also pronounced as "Obu " in some parts of Igboland, is the one that is pronounced alike with Obi as a king title, because a King is a representative of an Obi(a community)

Also we have Obi as a house in a man's compound where he entertains visitors, this Obi is pronounced same as Obi the king title, and this makes sense as the Obi(king ) house, serves as a place of gathering for the entire community(Obi).

Dalu kwa.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo / German Girl In Love With An Ibo / Is It Necessary To 'try' And Adapt An American,west Indian Or British Accent ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.