Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,256 members, 7,818,877 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello (30301 Views)

Cardinal Okogie To Buhari: "You Must Be A Joker For Thinking Of 2019 Now" / Cardinal Okogie Slams Pastor Adeboye For Building Churches Everywhere / Nigeria Will Be Worse If Buhari Wins 2nd Term - Cardinal Okogie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by uuzba(m): 5:49pm On Feb 21, 2018
bionixs:
but runs on bazaar ,compulsory levies ,dues collected from the families of indebted dead members before they are buried. Bishop,read your bible and not bulletin

His can't be ironed out here on NL. But here goes.
In Europe as you know, people don't dwell.much on village wealth. A rich person when they die, Wills all his wealth to whom ever he wishes. There's no "First Son" claiming property by right. So many wealthy persons quietly Will their property to the Church. The church quietly uses the wealth as required, ether for Charity, Missionary Schools (which we enjoyed here in Nigeria), or to build the church structure (all the church buildings are quite large and well built).
-
In Nigeria Obi and an Ada must collect their father's property when he dies by right. Uncle Odunga will collect his late brother's house, car and wife.
-
The church isn't seeing any money. Hence the need to start he Bazzaar of a thing to make money for the church. It all started well. But has now been bastadised by Nigerians.
-
If you believe that God is your father, what do you think about his church? How do you treat your fathers house? Unless you are quarrelling with your earthly father, I guess you know what to do.
-
However do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing. Do it quietly between you and God. So that your father who sees you in secret, rewards you in secret.

4 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by OnyeOGA(m): 5:49pm On Feb 21, 2018
salvation101:
Where is bazaar in d bible? Old nd new testament?

U do not collect tithe but collect multiple offerings
grin
e pain am.
Your pastors have armed men protecting them while you have sticker on ur door that is protecting ur own life.
Pastorprenuers ass-lickers.

5 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by bionixs: 5:51pm On Feb 21, 2018
Apina:

Baptism is the only requirement for one to be buried by the church. Dues are organizational which are collected by the organizations and has only members as signatory to such accounts, with the priest having no hand in it. Levies are only paid for harvest/bazaar which is used for the organization of the harvest and at the end whatever is left is put into the church account which members of the church council and whomever is the priest there being signatory to the account. The priest is only there to manage the churches resources and not owner of it, and cannot use the churches funds as he pleases. Instead of condemning what u don't know or understand, wisdom requires that you ask questions first undecided
Oga,this is an experience. if I haven't had any, I wouldn't be talking. ask people around you please
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Boss13: 5:53pm On Feb 21, 2018
CELL2ME2:
This is am honest saying to a man full of bitterness to Nigeria as a whole.

True but they don’t rub it off the face of their congregations and tell them God is blessing them whilst their contributions is fueling their lifestyle. In all honesty, despite my disagreement with some of their doctrines, the Catholic Church does a lot for its members. Catholic widows can bear witness.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by arrestdarrester: 5:57pm On Feb 21, 2018
obembet:
Waiting concern me? Everybody including kogi pple know say bello is a waste to this generation.

Its only in Nigeria you will lend someone money, and end up loosing both the friendship and the
money.

BUHARI self

This your quote na very good badt lesson: ITS ONLY IN NIGERIA YOU WILL LEND SOMEONE MONEY...make I add am to my list of lessons from Nigeria
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Apina(m): 6:00pm On Feb 21, 2018
bionixs:
Oga,this is an experience. if I haven't had any, I wouldn't be talking. ask people around you please
Y should I go and ask about what I know. The Catholic church is structured and has laid down rules and regulations contained in the Canon law, do not allow anyone mislead you cos no one has the power to introduce their own ways, that's why the church is universal. I don't know what your experience is but my advise would be for you to know more about your faith that's if you are a Catholic so that whatever is foreign u can stand up and speak cos u know and not taking everything u hear hook, line and sinker like a sheeple undecided

7 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Yankee101: 6:06pm On Feb 21, 2018
Gov Bello you're Insolent!

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Cjay2020(m): 6:09pm On Feb 21, 2018
this talk of kogi is just too negative... can someone highlight how bad Bello has done....
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by arrestdarrester: 6:10pm On Feb 21, 2018
I saw a post saying YAHAYA BELLO is not a youth, abeg what is he? Another post said its an insult to use YAHAYA BELLO as an example of youth in governance.

Now, a yam not understand in...
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Etianwanokon: 6:11pm On Feb 21, 2018
Tell them more
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Unitedabby(m): 6:18pm On Feb 21, 2018
Konye1:
I sympathize with non christians who feel Churches should be poor and broke...
i'm a Christian but not a hypocritical one.Agreed the house of God shouldn't be poor but question is how many needy have we reached out to as a way of emulating Christ?!
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by uuzba(m): 6:18pm On Feb 21, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
You are still making my point. There are foolish youths and foolish elders. There are both smart youths and smart elders. A youth is not the solution to our problems. The solution to our problem are people with sense and strong will to execute goodness.

Mandela was a youth. He was correct. The whites in South Africa were treating the blacks badly. But one cannot expect that hence ALL the blacks should kill off ALL the whites.
Thou shalt not kill
He spent 27 years in prison. Arrested for violence. But all the Whites knew he was correct.
But in 27years, he worked out a plan of how the blacks could get along with the Whites without violence.
He was president. He had a vision for his people. I hope that Ramaphosa and other Black presidents have a plan otherwise the whites will rule again and restore arpetheid.
-
Currently our youth have no plan for Nigeria except to eat meat and wear shoes.
That's why we keep having elderly corrupt politiciana ruining the system more.
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by rickyrex(m): 6:20pm On Feb 21, 2018
snipesdam:
Catholic and Proud.
be proud of what you have. Even thou my church will not take me to heaven. Am proud to be a catholic

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Sapiosexuality(m): 6:22pm On Feb 21, 2018
uuzba:

Mandela was a youth. He was correct. The whites in South Africa were treating the blacks badly. But one cannot expect that hence ALL the blacks should kill off ALL the whites.
Thou shalt not kill
He spent 27 years in prison. Arrested for violence. But all the Whites knew he was correct.
But in 27years, he worked out a plan of how the blacks could get along with the Whites without violence.
He was president. He had a vision for his people. I hope that Ramaphosa and other Black presidents have a plan otherwise the whites will rule again and restore arpetheid.
-
Currently our youth have no plan for Nigeria except to eat meat and wear shoes.
That's why we keep having elderly corrupt politiciana ruining the system more.
Great points. For me, we have equal number of foolish old and young people. The few with stem cells are faced with a system that compels a change of self and values to lead.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by texazzpete(m): 6:22pm On Feb 21, 2018
Acidosis:

Sadly, every organisation worship the words of their leaders.

You can't be working in Coca Cola and be taking instructions from Limca.

You can't be a Christian and not worship the words of a leader. Remember we all claim we worship Jesus? You belief it is Jesus' teaching for a man to be poor because he's serving God. The same God that promises us wealth?

Wait, if you as a Christian can't be wealthy? Are you saying those promises in the Bible are meant for Sinners?

The so called "Jesus Teachings" is relative.

I challenge you to point out where I claimed a Christian cannot be wealthy. You’ve never struck me as someone with challenges comprehendinrhg written English.

There is nothing ‘relative’ about the teachings of Christ. And using the word ‘so called’ is strange. You don’t believe in the Bible anymore ?

Your definition of Christianity is strange, including utterly bonkers ideas about worshipping words from Pastors.
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by texazzpete(m): 6:24pm On Feb 21, 2018
Angelparadise:

Take your embarrassment to your governor ,if you expect me to write all a comprehend because you could not understand any points.

Someone said that the Bello case shows that one cannot assume that a leader would be OK merely because of his youth. You just starting foaming at the mouth, challenging an assertion that nobody made.
Instead of taking correction from your betters, you’re still salty.
Disgraceful.
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by uuzba(m): 6:24pm On Feb 21, 2018
Unitedabby:
i'm a Christian but not a hypocritical one.Agreed the house of God shouldn't be poor but question is how many needy have we reached out to as a way of emulating Christ?!

Check out your church.

You heard of Missionary schools here in Nigeria abi? The school fees was cheep. Who built the schools and paid the teachers? Was money from your current Church?

These came from overseas. Members over there donated these monies for charity in "poor African countries".

Which members were these? What church was this?
-
Does your current church do anything for anyone?
Ask and find out. God will guide you along the way for the rest.

6 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by rickyrex(m): 6:26pm On Feb 21, 2018
salvation101:

yes barzar sales is not in the bible but there are so many things we do in our different churches that are not in the bible. So don't go far,

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Born2Breed(f): 6:29pm On Feb 21, 2018
MrImole:
Lol!

Don't mind the accidental governor, I'm sure that Kogi people will correct this next election.

Yahaya Bello is the most terrible governor dead or alive.

Kogi people and and one way thinking na 5 n 6. They will vote him again.
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Unitedabby(m): 6:30pm On Feb 21, 2018
Useless9jagirls:
Na der business b dat

Person never chop belle full him go carry money go church go pau tithe

Pastors go come deceive dm, say if dm pay tithes dm go receive more money

Hu go gv dm d money?

Church na business

Church don tire me to go

I can't remember d last time i went to church self
Im a xtian oooo

I don notic something about church pastors dm dey always praise der members wey gt money pass others

Its rili a big shame

sad but true!I've not been to Church myself for more than a decade now and still counting.I'm not proud of that frankly but if i see one reason to go worship say on Sunday,i see ten reasons why i shouldn't
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Bonaventura(m): 6:47pm On Feb 21, 2018
Sapiosexuality:
By whose definition?
This is a comprehensive definition :

The United Nations defines youth as persons between the ages of 15 and 24 with all UN statistics based on this range, the UN states education as a source for these statistics. The UN also recognizes that this varies without prejudice to other age groups listed by member states such as 18-30. A useful distinction within the UN itself can be made between teenagers (i.e. those between the ages of 13 and 19) and young adults (those between the ages of 18 and 32). While seeking to impose some uniformity on statistical approaches, the UN itself is aware of contradictions between approaches in its own statutes. Hence under the 15-24 definition (introduced in 1981) children are defined as those under the age of 14 while under the 1979 Convention on the Rights of the Child, those under the age of 18 are regarded as children.[10] The UN also states they are aware that several definitions exist for youth within UN entities such as Youth Habitat 15-32 and African Youth Charter 15-35
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Damibiz(m): 6:48pm On Feb 21, 2018
Who be dis one again,bring something else ok,dis 1 no sweet
salvation101:

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by freshboi88: 6:48pm On Feb 21, 2018
Y as d bishop talk say catholic church no dey dwell on tithing dey pain some people....hahahahaha...Nigerians, see them leaving the matter and attacking the church. Church no force anyone to participate for bazaar. Na wa oh.in short I have never see a catholic priest preach how if person no partake for bazaar say e go poor like our pastors dey do with tithe

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by luba9876: 6:49pm On Feb 21, 2018
salvation101:

He did not say catholics do no collect tithe. He said catholics do not teach or preach tithing as a criteria to obtaining salvation.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Johnrake69: 6:52pm On Feb 21, 2018
salvation101:

Finally, you're a true pentecostal Christian. You didn't address what the foolish Governor said. It appears your reservation for other denominations is stronger. All the same I hope at the end we all make heaven.

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Haykings100: 6:53pm On Feb 21, 2018
My objection to the Okogie's position is No Catholic Bishop own a Jet. It is because they CANNOT afford it and besides, Catholic Bishops are don't engage ministrations or evangelism outside the shores of Nigeria. Or who among can you compare any Catholic Bishop in Nigeria with Adeboye, Kumuyi, Oyedepo that have several branches worldwide. To them, Private Jet is a necessity and not luxury. Even some corrupt politician do donate to Catholic churches if they claim they don't run their church on tithes.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Konye1: 6:55pm On Feb 21, 2018
Unitedabby:

I am not disputing that, but i do not and will not agree that this should be used as a criteria to ridicule the church
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Shikena(m): 6:58pm On Feb 21, 2018
Regardless of your affiliation if you look closely enough and you are not focused on pockets of human weaknesses & dirts here and there, you will always say God bless the catholic church. No noisemaking but mightily blessing people every blessed day from the bitter cold of Chicago to the slums of India to even the hinterlands of Nigeria with no landing space for private jets just footpaths they provide food, shelter, healthcare, education, love and care. Again, human flesh can never attain perfection but God bless those churches that preach with their touch of love. If only our Governors could adopt a fraction of the essence of the catholic church.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Acidosis(m): 7:00pm On Feb 21, 2018
texazzpete:

I challenge you to point out where I claimed a Christian cannot be wealthy. You’ve never struck me as someone with challenges comprehendinrhg written English.

There is nothing ‘relative’ about the teachings of Christ. And using the word ‘so called’ is strange. You don’t believe in the Bible anymore ?

Your definition of Christianity is strange, including utterly bonkers ideas about worshipping words from Pastors.

You sounded like preachers are born to be "poor" because, according to you, Jesus did not amass wealth throughout his Ministry.

You see, in this Christian race, you can justify roughly anything with the same Bible we all believe in. What appears to be utterly bonkers to you have made many strong in the faith. Frankly, I've decided to reduce the rate at which I argue Christian doctrines.

Worshipping words from Pastors may be wrong to you, but another man will come boldly to quote Hebrews 13:17

"Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you."

^ ^ Aren't the above the characteristics of a sheeple? Can't I stand on this basis and condemn you or freeze for asking people to revolt against their pastors? Doesn't this make Freeze a candidate of Hell?

Do you know some pentecostals don't collect tithes? Do you know some of them own Universities in this country? We castigate Pastors/Churches for building schools their members can't afford and then some of us come out to say #ProudCatholic as if Caritas University, Madonna University and other catholic universities in Nigeria were built with "Anointing or Olive Oil".

These are a few donations from corrupt politicians like David Mark to the said Catholic church;

https://www.nairaland.com/2061497/st-lucy-catholic-church-ukana

https://www.nairaland.com/4282756/catholic-church-otukpo-built-david/2

We have many of them in the east.

To put the record straight, majority of the corrupt christian politicians in Nigeria today are strong affiliates of the Catholic Church, so what exactly is he talking about?

But, how many Nigerian politicians have you seen in Deeper Life building Churches for Pastor Kumuyi

You see why I'm not against prosperity pastors, private jet, university and others?

All the pastors I have ever had are not illiterates, so they deserve to be rich. Many of them accepted to be pastors not because they were wiling to. The last one retired a GM in Union bank. So it is actually s!lly to expect him to be poor just because he's pastor. I personally would not want to grow under a pauper Minister with a low IQ.

To think Jesus was poor in his days isn't even rational. A man that confidently turned water to wine, two loaves to many loaves can't be termed as poor.

A man that confidently won twelve disciples to himself including well learned artisans, a lawyer, etc., to the extent they abandoned their career, can't be termed as poor. If he needed to travel from Nazareth to Vatican, I'm sure he would have gotten a private jet for himself.

You may call him humble, but he's not the definition of poverty.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by greatjoey: 7:01pm On Feb 21, 2018
I feel ashamed seeing that the said foolish government who is so daft is my state government. Ojo, é m'uwa gba kwu 'efu ówó óma bibi i mana.
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by danielitaugbede(m): 7:01pm On Feb 21, 2018
See the problem I have with Nigerian Christians? He only "defended" the Catholic Church. Cardinal, I thought u believe in unity of all believers? Do u have to mention that no priest or even the pope has a private jet Are u afraid to own one? Then I bet it is becos u are afraid of the people not really because u care for the poor.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Pastor Kumuyi: Women Who Wear Men’s Clothes Are An Abomination Unto God / Warriors Will Rise From Brothels, Night Clubs, Cultist dens, Etc / 8 Signs You Are Under Spiritual Attack

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.