Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,920 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello (30302 Views)

Cardinal Okogie To Buhari: "You Must Be A Joker For Thinking Of 2019 Now" / Cardinal Okogie Slams Pastor Adeboye For Building Churches Everywhere / Nigeria Will Be Worse If Buhari Wins 2nd Term - Cardinal Okogie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Shikena(m): 7:07pm On Feb 21, 2018
danielitaugbede:
See the problem I have with Nigerian Christians? He only "defended" the Catholic Church. Cardinal, I thought u believe in unity of all believers? Do u have to mention that no priest or even the pope has a private jet Are u afraid to own one? Then I bet it is becos u are afraid of the people not really becaukse u care for the poor.
I believe he was responding to the governor who attacked him with tithe comment and he provided those facts since his church doesn't enforce tithe.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by masseratti: 7:17pm On Feb 21, 2018
uuzba:

The Vatican is not the Priest, Bishop, Cardinal or Pope.
Each of these persons will come and go and can be changed at any time. They do not have any personal wealth, no wife, no car, no house in any village. Their only goal is heaven.
"What does it profit a man to gain the world (all the money) and lose his soul (not enter heaven)?"

"If your right eye causes you to sin, cut it off...It is better to enter heaven with one eye than keep two eyes (good looking fine boy for show) and fall inside hell fire".

Personal wealth has caused many to sin.

Whatever money is in the Vatican was put there by people of faith. They did all quietly without boasting or making any noise about it. It serves the common good of the church.
I agree with you am just quoting the obvious, the Roman Catholic church has gone through alot of reforms over 2000 years, it has had its dark ages too.
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by masseratti: 7:19pm On Feb 21, 2018
sirusX:
you can read to know more...how it is gotten and what they do with it. They have a pope that's really concerned about people
oh please can you comprehend the post? Am just stating the obvious, that's all.
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by masseratti: 7:20pm On Feb 21, 2018
nonut:
Don't worry OKogie, the ass licking bastard is going back to daura with Buhari.
Old money and the power that comes with it doesn't deplete easily.
They've been there since the very beginning.
your point exactly?
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by kitaatita: 7:22pm On Feb 21, 2018
salvation101:
Where is bazaar in d bible? Old nd new testament?

U do not collect tithe but collect multiple offerings
.... Catholic Church does not run on tithes. She has never taught that God’s blessings depend on tithes. 

What the Cardinal said is in italics. He didn't at any time say that the Church doesn't collect tithe.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by erico2k2(m): 7:37pm On Feb 21, 2018
salvation101:

Read your bible well . There is such as offering rigjt across all religion .
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by stasius: 7:41pm On Feb 21, 2018
Catholic is my faith!

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by stasius: 7:43pm On Feb 21, 2018
The church is wealthier than Nigeria by the way!

So governor shut your trap!

Your wealth is nothing compared to the treasures of the great Roman catholic church. Don't even dare.!

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by achiever12: 7:48pm On Feb 21, 2018
masseratti:
Hmmm,well said Bishop, but still the Vatican is one of the richest entities of all time,both in power and wealth.

Still doesn't change the fact that the church doesn't attach blessings to tithe as they wrongly teach some people in the business centres they call church.

And despite the riches of the Vatican, they would rather spend their excess wealth on charity than waste it on multiple private jet. Nobody can dispute this.
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Nobody: 7:54pm On Feb 21, 2018
OnyeOGA:

grin
e pain am.
Your Pastors have heavily armed men protecting them while you have only Sticker on ur door protection you.
Pastorprenuers ass-licker.
while ur pope has a whole army protecting him undecided
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by OnyeOGA(m): 7:57pm On Feb 21, 2018
salvation101:
while ur pope has a whole army protecting him undecided
grin
gullible sheeple sighted.

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Nobody: 8:14pm On Feb 21, 2018
salvation101:

Calm down, the thread is not out to slight penticostals or something, the Bishop was just telling a pigheaded opportunist governor that his criticism of the current administration does not stem from loss of tithe revenue as he's alleging. When will we get these things?

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Iamemma(m): 8:18pm On Feb 21, 2018
salvation101:

What are you even saying?

In the Catholic church there are basically two kinds of collections,namely;

First collection, for the upkeep of the church

Second Collection (optional) collected mainly for a charitable cause e.g collection for orphanage homes,or home for the lepers etc.

At the end of the mass,the collections are remitted to the presbytery for onward distribution for the cause it was collected for.

Mind you any collection during the mass must be explained by the cathecist

Get your facts right next time

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Nobody: 8:20pm On Feb 21, 2018
OnyeOGA:

grin
gullible sheeple sighted.
am sure u didn't know well lemme educate you so dat wen next u point a finger at another person, you know dat 4 others are pointing to you..

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-pope-has-a-small-but-deadly-army-of-elite-warriors-1733268646
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by trainingict: 8:23pm On Feb 21, 2018
Acidosis:

You sounded like preachers are born to be "poor" because, according to you, Jesus did not amass wealth throughout his Ministry.

You see, in this Christian race, you can justify roughly anything with the same Bible we all believe in. What appears to be utterly bonkers to you have made many strong in the faith. Frankly, I've decided to reduce the rate at which I argue Christian doctrines.

Worshipping words from Pastors may be wrong to you, but another man will come boldly to quote Hebrews 13:17

"Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they are keeping watch over your souls, as those who will have to give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with groaning, for that would be of no advantage to you."

^ ^ Aren't the above the characteristics of a sheeple? Can't I stand on this basis and condemn you or freeze for asking people to revolt against their pastors? Doesn't this make Freeze a candidate of Hell?

Do you know some pentecostals don't collect tithes? Do you know some of them own Universities in this country? We castigate Pastors/Churches for building schools their members can't afford and then some of us come out to say #ProudCatholic as if Caritas University, Madonna University and other catholic universities in Nigeria were built with "Anointing or Olive Oil".

These are a few donations from corrupt politicians like David Mark to the said Catholic church;

https://www.nairaland.com/2061497/st-lucy-catholic-church-ukana

https://www.nairaland.com/4282756/catholic-church-otukpo-built-david/2

We have many of them in the east.

To put the record straight, majority of the corrupt christian politicians in Nigeria today are strong affiliates of the Catholic Church, so what exactly is he talking about?

But, how many Nigerian politicians have you seen in Deeper Life building Churches for Pastor Kumuyi

You see why I'm not against prosperity pastors, private jet, university and others?

All the pastors I have ever had are not illiterates, so they deserve to be rich. Many of them accepted to be pastors not because they were wiling to. The last one retired a GM in Union bank. So it is actually s!lly to expect him to be poor just because he's pastor. I personally would not want to grow under a pauper Minister with a low IQ.

To think Jesus was poor in his days isn't even rational. A man that confidently turned water to wine, two loaves to many loaves can't be termed as poor.

A man that confidently won twelve disciples to himself including well learned artisans, a lawyer, etc., to the extent they abandoned their career, can't be termed as poor. If he needed to travel from Nazareth to Vatican, I'm sure he would have gotten a private jet for himself.

You may call him humble, but he's not the definition of poverty.

I am in the Ministry, I disagree with so many things you got from prosperity teachings which you quoted above. I know money is the vehicle for driving (propagation) gospel. 1 Cor 15 : 19 says if our reward for being in Christ is only in this world, we should be the most pity of all human beings. Shortly before our Lord left this world, he told his followers their reward is in the heaven, from that moment, they stopped following him remaining only the 12 Apostles. Jesus asked them if they want to leave also, but Peter saved the day. He said they have no where to go having lost everything to follow him.

Others will quote where he said whatever you lose on this earth for following him you will gain more here & gain more in heaven. It is now a choice, people choose where & want they want in Bible. All those that sacrificed to follow Jesus in his days never got it back in this world. So, a man leaving as GM of Union Bank to answer the call is not expected to continue an executive life. Jesus once told a wealthy man to sell all he has & give to poor as a condition for following him.

A widow that gave all she had as offering was never recorded as becoming wealthy afterward. Jesus only recognized her. God has reason for making some rich & some poor, it is not by work, otherwise, people will say it is what I do that attracted the wealth.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Iamemma(m): 8:27pm On Feb 21, 2018
Acidosis:
Whether you call it tithe or offering or seed, no organisation (religious, NGO or not-for-profit) survives without MONEY.

There is really no point trying to tell us you don't collect tithe. Those mighty structures were not constructed with free water or sand. They were built with MONEY.

All Churches, Catholic or Pentecostal run on MONEY.

No institution can thrive without money. What the church ( Catholic) preaches is for people to give by their own free will,the church frowns at its ministers that compel people to give,for Christ did not teach that.

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Iamemma(m): 8:30pm On Feb 21, 2018
masseratti:
Hmmm,well said Bishop, but still the Vatican is one of the richest entities of all time,both in power and wealth.

You forgot to add one thing,that most wealthy people upon their deaths wills all their assets to the Catholic church

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by OnyeOGA(m): 8:30pm On Feb 21, 2018
salvation101:
am sure u didn't know well lemme educate you so dat wen next u point a finger at another person, you know dat 4 others are pointing to you..

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/the-pope-has-a-small-but-deadly-army-of-elite-warriors-1733268646
grin
abeg, educate yourself.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Iamemma(m): 8:30pm On Feb 21, 2018
masseratti:

You forgot to add one thing,that most wealthy people upon their death, wills all their assets to the Catholic church

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by jarrot(m): 8:35pm On Feb 21, 2018
CROWNWEALTH019:
Yes oooo
Proudly catholican
Nwanne su pu! grin
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by MISSCONGENIALITY(f): 8:37pm On Feb 21, 2018
Apina:

Baptism is the only requirement for one to be buried by the church. Dues are organizational which are collected by the organizations and has only members as signatory to such accounts, with the priest having no hand in it. Levies are only paid for harvest which is used mainly for the organization of the harvest and at the end whatever is left is put into the church account which members of the church council and whomever is the priest there being signatory to the account. The priest is only there to manage the churches resources and not the owner of it. Instead of condemning what u don't know or understand, wisdom requires that you ask questions first undecided
one of the corporal works of mercy is burying the dead whether baptised of not. My parish took a mad man who use to stay intron of the church to the hospital when he fell sick. They didn't even know his name nor his village. He died 3days later and his remains where deposited at the morgue. My parish priest and other church members were not even allowed to claim the body when they went to claim it and they had to go to court and signed some documents after which they were allowed to carry the man. They buried him.
So whether baptised or not we bury the dead.

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Smarkie: 8:49pm On Feb 21, 2018
My cardinal u shouldn' have replied sycophant and asslicker like bello
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by IAMBlesssed(f): 8:56pm On Feb 21, 2018
Nawa for Nigerian christians... Why are some people reading deep meaning into what the cardinal said? The thread has now turned to war between Catholics and Pentecostals. We still have a loooong way to go in this country. God help us all..

1 Like

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Celdanstar: 8:58pm On Feb 21, 2018
Nor mind the mumu wey dem carry government give even when he nor context, why him nor go dey run mouth. One chance governor.
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by nonut: 9:00pm On Feb 21, 2018
masseratti:
your point exactly?
If you don't understand, I can't be bothered to explain.
It simply means you'll never understand even if I try to explain.
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Apina(m): 9:04pm On Feb 21, 2018
MISSCONGENIALITY:
one of the corporal works of mercy is burying the dead whether baptised of not. My parish took a mad man who use to stay intron of the church to the hospital when he fell sick. They didn't even know his name nor his village. He died 3days later and his remains where deposited at the morgue. My parish priest and other church members were not even allowed to claim the body when they went to claim it and they had to go to court and signed some documents after which they were allowed to carry the man. They buried him.
So whether baptised or not we bury the dead.
The priest and parishioners chose to bury him, not the church. If the rites for funeral/burial isn't observed through the celebration of the Holy Mass, and the body brought into the church, as is done for those baptized and in communion with the church, then it cannot be said that the church buried the individual. Hope u understand cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by justy15: 9:10pm On Feb 21, 2018
Yahaya bello is a mistake that will sure be corrected by kogi people come 2019. He is a bad example of a young person in leadership, he thought his sycophantic tendencies will save him .
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by bionixs: 9:14pm On Feb 21, 2018
Apina:

Y should I go and ask about what I know. The Catholic church is structured and has laid down rules and regulations contained in the Canon law, do not allow anyone mislead you cos no one has the power to introduce their own ways, that's why the church is universal. I don't know what your experience is but my advise would be for you to know more about your faith that's if you are a Catholic so that whatever is foreign u can stand up and speak cos u know and not taking everything u hear hook, line and sinker like a sheeple undecided
I don't need to argue with you on this .just tell yourself the truth. defending the Catholic church I know and have their top priests as bossom friends, wouldn't mean defending your faith.
You want to tell the world and fellow igbo catholics that if a member who owes some levies in church dies that he would be buried without having his relatives offset the bills keep giving wrong information to those who are not aware and have experienced it
Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:15pm On Feb 21, 2018
salvation101:

I just had pizza for dinner. You might as well ask me where eating pizza was sanctioned in the Bible.
Might as well ask you too where is crossover night in the Bible. Infact, the Christmas and Easter celebrations you observe or observation of Sundays as Sabbath that you copied from Catholics is where in the Bible?
Private jet for pastor, nko? Shey Paul and Peter were cruising around in Gulfstreams, abi? Holy water and stickers and blessed handkerchiefs, nko? Where are all those ones in the Bible? Pastors collecting tithe like Levites, nko? They are directly descended from the tribe of Levi, abi? Even practising Jews today are not paying tithes without an existing Levitical order, but some Pentecostal niggers in Africa dey here dey claim Levites collecting tithes. grin That one is in the Bible, abi? Collection of cash as tithe, nko?

The difference between you and Catholics is they do not claim to unerringly follow every dictate of the Bible in recognizing how faith and culture and human civilization as a whole has evolved over millennia. I would say this is a logical philosophical outlook. You on the other hand claim to be completely biblical institutions, but you consistently contradict this by perpetuating frauds like the manipulation of Biblical texts about tithing and following unbiblical practises.

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:19pm On Feb 21, 2018
bionixs:
I don't need to argue with you on this .just tell yourself the truth. defending the Catholic church I know and have their top priests as bossom friends, wouldn't mean defending your faith.
You want to tell the world and fellow igbo catholics that if a member who owes some levies in church dies that he would be buried without having his relatives offset the bills keep giving wrong information to those who are not aware and have experienced it

This is true. It happens in villages in the East. The church often refuse to participate in weddings, burials etc of people who don't pay levies.

Then again, many village priests are clowns. The practice isn't sanctioned by the church and it's unheard of here in Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by LogicStatement: 9:23pm On Feb 21, 2018
Acidosis:
Whether you call it tithe or offering or seed, no organisation (religious, NGO or not-for-profit) survives without MONEY.

There is really no point trying to tell us you don't collect tithe. Those mighty structures were not constructed with free water or sand. They were built with MONEY.

All Churches, Catholic or Pentecostal run on MONEY.
The point here is not about money but how the money is collected. Catholic church does not threatening members to pay tithe the way Pentecostal churches do. The Pentecostals tell lies about how non tithe payers will go to hell and remain financially doom if they fail to pay, and this is contrary to Christ's teachings. The Catholic church does not pay or enforce tithing but encourages members to give cheerfully- they are NEVER threaten and hence, she is the richest church in the world with the largest number of Christians as members

2 Likes

Re: Catholic Church Doesn’t Run On Tithe– Cardinal Okogie Fires Back At Gov. Bello by bionixs: 9:35pm On Feb 21, 2018
Obi1kenobi:

This is true. It happens in villages in the East. The church often refuse to participate in weddings, burials etc of people who don't pay levies.

Then again, many village priests are clowns. The practice isn't sanctioned by the church and it's unheard of here in Lagos.
imagine where the guy quoting me said that all you need to have all your needs met in Catholic is just to be baptized,you never pay a dime

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Pastor Kumuyi: Women Who Wear Men’s Clothes Are An Abomination Unto God / Warriors Will Rise From Brothels, Night Clubs, Cultist dens, Etc / 8 Signs You Are Under Spiritual Attack

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.