Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,019 members, 7,818,020 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:54 AM

What Happens When You're Dead? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Happens When You're Dead? (8467 Views)

What Happens When A Believer "Dies In Sin"? A Biblical Exposition Of What Sin Is / What Happens When You Keep Sinning And Never Want To Stop / What Happens When People Die? (find Out) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by paxonel(m): 12:57am On Feb 23, 2018
hahn:

Lol

A comforting lie smiley

The bible says it and we believe,
What's your source of believing that it's a lie?
You have none grin
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by soliq55(m): 7:33am On Feb 23, 2018
budaatum:
Buda's Perspective

So, you took your last breath. You don't exist as you did anymore. No more waking up to a beautiful new day, or seeing and talking to those who love you or those you hate. No more posting on social media, no going to work or paying bills or enjoying food or having sex. Unless someone knows you, we wouldn't even know you are dead for how many have you discoursed with on here but do so no more. We know nought of them, whether dead or alive.

Dust, basically, thou art, and dust you will become, food for worms and fertiliser at best, on the day you die, and nothing else.

Hard to take in, I'm absolutely certain. So post a consolation, an alternate reality.

What would happen after you're dead?

There is a difference between dying and being dead. Dying is not a state of death but the pathway to the state of being dead. Unforunately, nobody knows definitively what happens when humans are in the state of being dead but dying can actually be observed and even quantified physiologically.

During the process of dying, depending on the severity and cause, the organs usually shut down one by one. It is not uncommon to hallucinate when the brain is in the process of shutting down. A common variable to to stories about people seeing heaven, God, Jesus, Allah and hell when they are in the process of dying is that it is culturally specific. For instance, a Yoruba man sees a Jesus that is black man wearing agabada speaking Yoruba, a white man sees Jesus in heaven wearing suit and tie. And so on.

These near death experiences are usually our brain repacking the data in our subconscious mind to give us images and even stories. Just because these pictures can be very vivid does not mean its true. It is the power of our subconscious mind.

The billion dollar advertisement industry is well aware of the power of the subconscious and tap into this to make their fortune. For example, when you go to the grocery store, where I live there could be up to 20 different brands of cereal. Have you ever stopped and ask why you picked the one you chose instead of the other perfectly good brands of the same cereal within the same price range? Your subconcious mind told you to do so. It may be due to an advert of that cereal you've seen as far back as when you were 3 years old that affects your decision to chose it.

1 Like

Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by MuttleyLaff: 7:53am On Feb 23, 2018
hahn:
DO you have video evidence of this?
No

hahn:
Have you witnessed it?
First answer, No
second answer, Yes

hahn:
Can you provide a witness? undecided
Yes

hahn:
You didn't answer the question undecided
I have, now
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by terrezo2002(m): 8:04am On Feb 23, 2018
sonofluc1fer:
Weird that one day, my balls and eyes will be dinner for some slimy beings. Weird.

Hope my death is quick, however it comes. Those slow, long ones like cancer.... eeeiisshh..

After death, I'll be gone. A closed chapter. Hopefully I do something great before I go.

Makes life feel kinda pointless tbh.
Don't you desire a life of eternity after death?
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by sonofluc1fer: 8:13am On Feb 23, 2018
terrezo2002:

Nope. It's gonna get boring after a while. Just living... death keeps this world interesting... grin

3 Likes

Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by butterflyl1on: 8:24am On Feb 23, 2018
sonofluc1fer:
Weird that one day, my balls and eyes will be dinner for some slimy beings. Weird.

Hope my death is quick, however it comes. Those slow, long ones like cancer.... eeeiisshh..

After death, I'll be gone. A closed chapter. Hopefully I do something great before I go.

Makes life feel kinda pointless tbh.

I am glad you can see that simply death with nothing thereafter makes the whole struggles, the pains, the amassing of wealth, educational pursuits all seem pointless.

We cannot be this advanced as humans just so we can invent and build and explore and all for nothing. We cannot be this aware and even aware on behalf of other creatures, studying them, knowing their ways, all for nothing at the end of the day.

So like you said, it honestly makes LIFE feel kind of pointless (if it all ends here)

So why the effort at all for laws and order and morality if it all ends here?

Mr Philosopher I am sure you can think deep about this and try to find sense in all the nonsense this world has to offer and how my words above are probably pointless and not worth deeply reflecting upon. smiley
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by hopefulLandlord: 8:29am On Feb 23, 2018
terrezo2002:
HopefulLandlord fully agrees with SonOfLuc1fer's reply
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by dalaman: 9:09am On Feb 23, 2018
What happens when you die? You remain dead. That we know for a fact, any other thing proposed is nothing but conjecture.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by hopefulLandlord: 9:20am On Feb 23, 2018
dalaman:
What happens when you die? You remain dead. That we know for a fact, any other thing proposed is nothing but conjecture.

So you're saying the goats and chickens being killed everyday have their lives ended just like that?

You're saying those goats won't stand in front of goat god and give account of how they lived their lives to the goat god?

You're saying when chickens die, they stay dead? I hope you know according to the "Chicken Holy Revelation" which the chicken god wrote in the chickens' hearts that after they die they stand before chicken god on the day if judgement to give account of their lives and either go into the oven or go into paradise where they'll enjoy chicken feeds forever and ever while praising the chicken god?

So you're telling me the chicken that breaks and sucks the juice of the eggs she shat out hereby committing chicken abortion won't face retribution after its dead?

This is why I call atheists fools!

3 Likes

Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by dalaman: 9:35am On Feb 23, 2018
hopefulLandlord:

So you're saying the goats and chickens being killed everyday have their lives ended just like that?

You're saying those goats won't stand in front of goat god and give account of how they lived their lives to the goat god?

You're saying when chickens die, they stay dead? I hope you know according to the "Chicken Holy Revelation" which the chicken god wrote in the chickens' hearts that after they die they stand before chicken god on the day if judgement to give account of their lives and either go into the oven or go into paradise where they'll enjoy chicken feeds forever and ever while praising the chicken god?

So you're telling me the chicken that breaks and sucks the juice of the eggs she shat out hereby committing chicken abortion won't face retribution after its dead?

This is why I call atheists fools!

grin grin

I really do not understand the point that there must be life after death for this life to be meaningful else it will be pointless.

All the things that add meaning and value to our lives now that we are alive are not eternal, they are all temporary but they all add values to our lives. I fail to see how the fact that life ends here on earth makes it pointless.

3 Likes

Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by hahn(m): 9:52am On Feb 23, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
No

Then why are you supporting something you have no evidence of? undecided

First answer, No
second answer, Yes

Explain please

Yes

Who is your witness?

I have, now

More questions have risen cheesy
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by hahn(m): 9:53am On Feb 23, 2018
paxonel:

The bible says it and we believe,
What's your source of believing that it's a lie?
You have none grin

The bible is not a reliable source of information so it is a lie smiley
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by ichommy(m): 9:58am On Feb 23, 2018
hahn:

grin grin grin Clown.

2 Likes

Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by danvon(m): 10:14am On Feb 23, 2018
Our life is like water if we have enough light and heat we vapourize upwards but if we lose the heat we condense downwards
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by hahn(m): 11:00am On Feb 23, 2018
ichommy:

grin grin grin Clown.

Where have you been nigu?! cheesy
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by MuttleyLaff: 11:23am On Feb 23, 2018
hahn:
Then why are you supporting something you have no evidence of? undecided
I can with the same way I support you have a brain without no evidence of it

hahn:
Explain please
I cant, until you explain what you mean by:
"DO you have video evidence of this? Have you witnessed it?"

hahn:
Who is your witness?
Dead

hahn:
More questions have risen cheesy
"The mocker seeks wisdom and finds none,
but knowledge comes easily to the discerning"

- Proverbs 14:6

Always asking more questions, but never able to come to the knowledge of the truth

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by MuttleyLaff: 11:25am On Feb 23, 2018
danvon:
Our life is like water if we have enough light and heat we vapourize upwards
Steam

danvon:
but if we lose the heat we condense downwards
Ice
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by paxonel(m): 11:38am On Feb 23, 2018
grin
hahn:

You are just blashing mouth for nothing, bring your own source of information you cannot. grin

1 Like

Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by ichommy(m): 11:44am On Feb 23, 2018
hahn:

Where have you been nigu?! cheesy

All over D world Hustling... wink
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by hahn(m): 11:52am On Feb 23, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
I can with the same way I support you have a brain without no evidence of it

We can do and exray or even smash your head with a baseball stick to see your brain which is unlike the self contradicting book of Jewish myths and it's god that cannot be proven by any means other than "belief"

I cant, until you explain what you mean by:
"DO you have video evidence of this? Have you witnessed it?"

Do you have a video of heaven?

Dead

So how were you able to obtain the testimony from this "witness" of yours?

"The mocker seeks wisdom and finds none,
but knowledge comes easily to the discerning"

- Proverbs 14:6

Seriously, bringing up a bible verse during an argument is simply ridiculous cheesy grin

Always asking more questions, but never able to come to the knowledge of the truth

What you mean to say is I have still refused to believe grin

1 Like

Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by budaatum: 2:01pm On Feb 23, 2018
soliq55:

There is a difference between dying and being dead. Dying is not a state of death but the pathway to the state of being dead. Unforunately, nobody knows definitively what happens when humans are in the state of being dead but dying can actually be observed and even quantified physiologically.

During the process of dying, depending on the severity and cause, the organs usually shut down one by one. It is not uncommon to hallucinate when the brain is in the process of shutting down. A common variable to to stories about people seeing heaven, God, Jesus, Allah and hell when they are in the process of dying is that it is culturally specific. For instance, a Yoruba man sees a Jesus that is black man wearing agabada speaking Yoruba, a white man sees Jesus in heaven wearing suit and tie. And so on.

These near death experiences are usually our brain repacking the data in our subconscious mind to give us images and even stories. Just because these pictures can be very vivid does not mean its true. It is the power of our unconscious mind.

The billion dollar advertisement industry are well aware of the power of the conscious and tap into this to make their fortune. For example, when you go to the grocery store, where I live there could be up to 20 different brands of cereal. Have you ever stopped and ask why you picked the one you chose instead of the other perfectly good brands of the same cereal within the same price range? Your subconcious mind told you to do so. It may be due to an advert of that cereal you've seen as far back as when you were 3 years old that affects your decision to chose it.
So, after one is done dying and is now dead, what happens then?

1 Like

Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by butterflyl1on: 2:07pm On Feb 23, 2018
budaatum:

So, after one is done dying and is now dead, what happens then?

I thought you said you were more focused on what happens when one is dead and not after. Are you changing your stance?

1 Like

Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by MuttleyLaff: 2:34pm On Feb 23, 2018
hahn:
We can do and exray or even smash your head with a baseball stick to see your brain which is unlike the self contradicting book of Jewish myths and it's god that cannot be proven by any means other than "belief"
You getting personal, doesnt change a thing

hahn:
Do you have a video of heaven?
Straw man.

hahn:
So how were you able to obtain the testimony from this "witness" of yours?
What testimony?
Whose witness?
Which ""witness" of yours"?

hahn:
Seriously, bringing up a bible verse during an argument is simply ridiculous cheesy grin
When did the question spree turn and become an argument?

hahn:
What you mean to say is I have still refused to believe grin
You can read whatever you like into it

1 Like

Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by hahn(m): 2:49pm On Feb 23, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
You getting personal, doesnt change a thing

When you answered my first post by saying "I could but then you'd have to be dead" that was not taking it personal, right? undecided

Straw man.

It is a serious question. If your heaven exists at least you should have a video of it. After all these years no Christian has been able to come up with video of the highest price of heaven? undecided

What testimony?
Whose witness?
Which ""witness" of your"?

Is this turning into a circus or what? You said you have a witness and I asked how you got the testimony and you are busy making fun of yourself undecided

When did the question spree turn and become an argument?

No problem. Bring up the bible in your discussion again and I will quote Harry Potter/spiderman so at least I know we are on the same level smiley

You can read whatever you like into it

Boring.
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by MuttleyLaff: 3:04pm On Feb 23, 2018
hahn:
When you answered my first post by saying "I could but then you'd have to be dead" that was not taking it personal, right? undecided
SMH. Are you the last person to know that you'd have to be dead for me to provide you with a dead witness you've asked to see?

hahn:
It is a serious question. If your heaven exists at least you should have a video of it. After all these years no Christian has been able to come up with video of the highest price of heaven? undecided
Have you read heaven mentioned on this thread except by you?

hahn:
Is this turning into a circus or what? You said you have a witness and I asked how you got the testimony and you are busy making fun of yourself undecided
Keep on making things up.
Reproduce here where I said I had a witness.
If you can't, then retract your remark, apologise or shut up

hahn:
No problem. Bring up the bible in your discussion again and I will quote Harry Potter/spiderman so at least I know we are on the same level smiley
I would like the
Harry Potter/spiderman edition and page numbers for my references and cross checkings

hahn:
Boring.
Where is that PMB cartoon boxing a shadow

1 Like

Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by hahn(m): 3:14pm On Feb 23, 2018
MuttleyLaff:
SMH. Are you the last person to know that you'd have to be dead for me to provide you with a dead witness you've asked to see?

Have you read heaven mentioned on this thread except by you?

Keep on making things up.
Reproduce here where I said I had a witness.
If you can't, then retract your remark, apologise or shut up

I would like the
Harry Potter/spiderman edition and page numbers for my references and cross checkings

Where is that PMB cartoon boxing a shadow

Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by budaatum: 3:27pm On Feb 23, 2018
butterflyl1on:

I thought you said you were more focused on what happens when one is dead and not after. Are you changing your stance?

My understanding of soliq55 response was of "what happens just as one is dying and then doesn't" - a 'before dead and then not quite dead afterall'. I do not think it quite qualifies as a response to the question posed.

However, in a way, yes, I am changing stance. Though, I was never "more focused on what happens when one is dead and not after". You make it sound like I was asking about the very instant one dies and not seconds after not to talk of days.

Read the response to godisgood200, who has further informed the question further with his insightful observation. Even your response was to "what happens AFTER I die", so the question has already been taken to imply so by some, including yourself.
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by godisgood200: 5:58pm On Feb 23, 2018
budaatum:

I am responding to you because I think you are being sincere so please pay attention. Do note that I am not requiring that you agree, just that you understand. And no, I am not offended. I will let you know if I become offended.[/i]
Fair enough. In a dicourse opinions are to be freely aired regarless of the fact that they are taken or rejected. It's a convo.
Thanks for being so mature (rare atheist)
As an atheist, when a person dies, it is my opinion that that is it. There is no after, according to my own opinion.

It's good you put it that way ' In your opinion'. So, in your opinion can you explain SLEEP?

What in your opinion triggers dreams? Do you as an atheist dream? From an atheist stand point, how will you explain dreams?

In your opinion, when one dies, it ends there. Have you seriously considered that dead could be like dreaming?
If you say dreaming is the projection of thoughts, or the preoccupation of a man's mind, How will you explain the fact that I personally dream things before they happen? Such events had never happened, but i will dream it, days after it will happen.

Right now, i had a dream, and based on the antecedents of the past, am inclined to wait out its manifestation,and it laways happens. What in your opinion is reslinsible for that?

budaatum:

Can you see from the above why the question I asked
(What Happens When You're Dead?), is the question I would ask? And that if I had thought of, and asked the question you say I should have asked (What happens after you are dead?), it would have only been with some intention in mind?
As an atheist whose opinion is, nothing happens after dead, i'd expect that that question should not arise at all. Whether when or After should not be a concern to to at all. Why shd it matter? If all what happens is nothing, then why ask it at all?

For, If i were a New Ager who believes i will come back as either a flower of an Ant, after i die, It will be so stupid of me to ask 'What happens when i die?

The only way this quesrion will make sense is when you direct it to the living to whom you will leave behind here. When you are dead, how will they handle what you had toiled and stweated for?

When you die, how will men mourn you? When you die, what you be remembered by?
It's only in this sense will the question of 'When you die' will make sense.
But to talk of YOU THE DESEASED, as athesit, nothing will happen when you die.

But, be 10000% sure you are right about it, because as your conscent wasn't sort if you wanted to come to earth as human instead of a Cat, as your consent wasn't sort if you wanted to be male or female, black or white, tall or short. You weren't asked if you'd want the folks who birthed you to be your parents. You didn't choose to be a Nigerian or to come from the tribe you came from. All these were chosen for you.

You will also not be enquired of if you'd want to die when the time comes. Just as a decision was made for you to come here, a decision will some day be made for you to exit here, SO, AS AN ATHEIST, BE SURE THAT WHEN THAT TIME COMES, there'll be nothing waiting for you yonder.

[quote author=budaatum post=65296569]
Do note that I have liked every response, even those that oppose my own view. And I have not taken to arguing that anyone's opinion is incorrect. I have not died yet you see. And no one has died and returned to tell if there is an after death, least not as far as has convinced me yet.
Lolzzzz. I don't take likes seriously. It's good we allow tne opnions of others because no one has it all. I may not agree with you but you may still be right. That said; Do you want to wait to die to find out?

You said no one has died and come back? Do you say that because you disbelieve the testimonies of those who had died and come back or you sincerely serious?

I know a man by name Ali Sina. An IranianEx Muslim who left Islam and became an atheist. A very firece Atheist. He had a website 'www.Faithfreedom.org. Do you know how that man became a Christian? Testimonies of NEAR DEAD EXPERIENCES.

No human being preached the gospel to him, infact, the gospel, he shredded and scorned at, he is now preaching it.

Atheists like you die and come back, they all have stories to tell. If you doubt Christians,what about your brethren the atheists?

A little girl of 5 died, met Jesus, when she came back, she painted the Master. You think a 5 yrs old will make that up?

Anyway sha, die and then find out. But, remember that will be too late (or not).
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by godisgood200: 6:01pm On Feb 23, 2018
budaatum:

I am responding to you because I think you are being sincere so please pay attention. Do note that I am not requiring that you agree, just that you understand. And no, I am not offended. I will let you know if I become offended.[/i]
Fair enough. In a dicourse opinions are to be freely aired regarless of the fact that they are taken or rejected. It's a convo.
Thanks for being so mature (rare atheist)

budaatum:

As an atheist, when a person dies, it is my opinion that that is it. There is no after, according to my own opinion.

It's good you put it that way ' In your opinion'. So, in your opinion can you explain SLEEP?

What in your opinion triggers dreams? Do you as an atheist dream? From an atheist stand point, how will you explain dreams?

In your opinion, when one dies, it ends there. Have you seriously considered that dead could be like dreaming?
If you say dreaming is the projection of thoughts, or the preoccupation of a man's mind, How will you explain the fact that I personally dream things before they happen? Such events had never happened, but i will dream it, days after it will happen.

Right now, i had a dream, and based on the antecedents of the past, am inclined to wait out its manifestation,and it laways happens. What in your opinion is reslinsible for that?

Can you see from the above why the question I asked
(What Happens When You're Dead?), is the question I would ask? And that if I had thought of, and asked the question you say I should have asked (What happens after you are dead?), it would have only been with some intention in mind?
As an atheist whose opinion is, nothing happens after dead, i'd expect that that question should not arise at all. Whether when or After should not be a concern to to at all. Why shd it matter? If all what happens is nothing, then why ask it at all?

For, If i were a New Ager who believes i will come back as either a flower of an Ant, after i die, It will be so stupid of me to ask 'What happens when i die?

The only way this quesrion will make sense is when you direct it to the living to whom you will leave behind here. When you are dead, how will they handle what you had toiled and stweated for?

When you die, how will men mourn you? When you die, what you be remembered by?
It's only in this sense will the question of 'When you die' will make sense.
But to talk of YOU THE DESEASED, as athesit, nothing will happen when you die.

But, be 10000% sure you are right about it, because as your conscent wasn't sort if you wanted to come to earth as human instead of a Cat, as your consent wasn't sort if you wanted to be male or female, black or white, tall or short. You weren't asked if you'd want the folks who birthed you to be your parents. You didn't choose to be a Nigerian or to come from the tribe you came from. All these were chosen for you.

You will also not be enquired of if you'd want to die when the time comes. Just as a decision was made for you to come here, a decision will some day be made for you to exit here, SO, AS AN ATHEIST, BE SURE THAT WHEN THAT TIME COMES, there'll be nothing waiting for you yonder.

Do note that I have liked every response, even those that oppose my own view. And I have not taken to arguing that anyone's opinion is incorrect. I have not died yet you see. And no one has died and returned to tell if there is an after death, least not as far as has convinced me yet.
Lolzzzz. I don't take likes seriously. It's good we allow tne opnions of others because no one has it all. I may not agree with you but you may still be right. That said; Do you want to wait to die to find out?

You said no one has died and come back? Do you say that because you disbelieve the testimonies of those who had died and come back or you sincerely serious?

I know a man by name Ali Sina. An IranianEx Muslim who left Islam and became an atheist. A very firece Atheist. He had a website 'www.Faithfreedom.org. Do you know how that man became a Christian? Testimonies of NEAR DEAD EXPERIENCES.

No human being preached the gospel to him, infact, the gospel, he shredded and scorned at, he is now preaching it.

Atheists like you die and come back, they all have stories to tell. If you doubt Christians,what about your brethren the atheists?

A little girl of 5 died, met Jesus, when she came back, she painted the Master. You think a 5 yrs old will make that up?

Anyway sha, die and then find out. But, remember that will be too late (or not).
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by Nobody: 6:12pm On Feb 23, 2018
Nothing
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by marunga(m): 6:40pm On Feb 23, 2018
hahn:

Can you provide a witness? undecided
simply yes, the Holly Scripture (Bible).
Re: What Happens When You're Dead? by marunga(m): 6:41pm On Feb 23, 2018
cryi m stingy and I want all of my complete body to go six-fit down without anything part of it donated to anyone.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How Many Children Did King Solomon Have? / FAKE MIRACLES!! Reverend Father Modestus Chiedozie Chilaka – Watch Video / Election Of Church Leaders By Voting: Is It Biblical?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.