Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,797 members, 7,810,075 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:07 PM

70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. (33106 Views)

Football Shows That Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s, '80s & 1990s / 50 Detective Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s / 50 Cartoons That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Krak(m): 7:24am On Feb 27, 2018
begwong:
How about CHARLY CHAPLIN!
Good old days memories. I was privileged to have watched almost half of those sitcoms/comedies.
I for watch all like the OP but how many people get TV back then? We had to go to fellow neighbors houses in the military Barracks then and hang by the window to watch a black and white TV.... Lol

Charge Chaplin was during the 20's, 30's and 40's.
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Narldon: 7:31am On Feb 27, 2018

All those born after 1990 should sign the Attendance booklet and wait behind for a brief meeting

Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by livebynite: 7:33am On Feb 27, 2018
lest compare the price of garri in the 70's to today angry
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Ogonimilitant(m): 7:40am On Feb 27, 2018
Ok
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Nobody: 7:46am On Feb 27, 2018
tthe comedy set in a german restaurant and hotel during world war 1.a german chef and two assistants
have forgotten the name
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by lee818(f): 7:49am On Feb 27, 2018
I remember all these shows gosh time sure has passed. Nigeria you were once so good!! I miss those shows so much, will see if I can buy some. Also we forgot hammer house of horror, space 1999, Dr Who etc I know they are not comedies but I miss them too. My generation was awesome not this generation of today, that don't know anything except smartphones and Facebook. No imagination or just want to be successful without putting in the effort. My childhood rocked!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by naptu2: 7:51am On Feb 27, 2018
Gbemishile1:
tthe comedy set in a german restaurant and hotel during world war 1.a german chef and two assistants
have forgotten the name

Allo Allo. It's in the list. It was during World War 2.

1 Like

Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by lee818(f): 7:52am On Feb 27, 2018
Krak:

Charlie Chaplin was in that time but his classics were still shown in the 70's. I can't remember watching then, too young but I enjoy them now, Gold rush and limelight and the kid are my favorites of Charlie.
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by naptu2: 7:57am On Feb 27, 2018
Krak:

I think I know what he is referring to. Some of Charlie Chaplin's sketches were shown as part of a programme in the 1980s. I think it was shown on Comedy Tonight, but I can't remember for sure.
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by emonis88: 8:01am On Feb 27, 2018
remember these shows but u missed 1 that they called slap stick studios, was also a comedy sitcom in d 80s.
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by FakoMaybach1: 8:03am On Feb 27, 2018
i only watched Rent a ghost and Allo Allo replays...But to be honest those guys were so funny. I remember holding my nose to disappear like rent a ghost, lol....

Chief Zebudiah is still one of the funniest men i know, kudos to those legends abeg...they were the light that chased sadness away

1 Like

Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by stevedeey(m): 8:04am On Feb 27, 2018
nice collection
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by dawaxkydada: 8:13am On Feb 27, 2018
You missed one Mr Spencer
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by naptu2: 8:16am On Feb 27, 2018
dawaxkydada:
You missed one Mr Spencer

It's on the list (Some Mothers Do Have 'Em).
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by wristbangle: 8:17am On Feb 27, 2018
Lol I remember "love thy neighbour, allo allo and spencer-some mother do have them on NTA 2 channel 5. I watched these shows in the early 90's. grin. Mark Spencer na real werey. Daleru baba!

Honestly I don't know what children of nowadays are enjoying sef sad
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by pussiboner: 8:19am On Feb 27, 2018
Durchmann:

Nice!

I've got the full compilation of Allo! Allo! (All seasons). Those times were just natural. Childhood was really bae then.
OP, how did you get to remember all these at once?
Wow!

I remembered watching them as a child and could not remember what the were about, so I decided to start a classic collection so as to help me recollect.

When I list events and episodes now e go be like say my brain sharp... not knowing i saw it again last week... grin
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by flyDixon: 8:21am On Feb 27, 2018
Too bad, I didn't see MIND YOUR LANGUAGE cry
My all time favourite I still watch it.
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by drealjane: 8:29am On Feb 27, 2018
This is beautiful and nice compilation, its good to bring back old memories, when things are so simple, and we do not need much money for happiness.
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Nobody: 8:31am On Feb 27, 2018
Op you forgot Only fools and Horses. David Jason ( Delboy) and also Black Adder Goes forth ( Rowan Atkinson) ... I missed those show.
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by naptu2: 8:33am On Feb 27, 2018
Ollymurs:
Op you forgot Only fools and Horses. David Jason ( Delboy) and also Black Adder Goes forth ( Rowan Atkinson) ... I missed those show.

I remember both shows very well. In fact, I remembered Only Fools And Horses when I posted A Sharp Intake of Breath, but Black Adder and Only Fools And Horses were not shown on Nigerian television (LTV) until the 1990s.
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by naptu2: 8:35am On Feb 27, 2018
emonis88:
remember these shows but u missed 1 that they called slap stick studios, was also a comedy sitcom in d 80s.

shocked Wow! Slapstick Studios! Memories.
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Nobody: 8:35am On Feb 27, 2018
I have been lucky to watch mind your language and bill Cosby show before cause I was born in early 90s

Meanwhile

When I was growing up in the 90s- early 2000s i watched
Foreign comedy

Friends

Sabrina the teenage witch

Clueless

Jerry Seinfeld shows

Full house (Mary and Ashely were babies in this show)

Diana and Greg

Moiesha (brandy)

Prince of belle (will Smith)

later comedy like "how I met your mother" joined

Taxi driver (Ghanaian comedy)

Nigeria

Fuji house of commotion

Papa ajasco

baba no regret

Amongst others

So I missed nothing grin

Although, An NTA classic channel should be introduced on either dstv or star times channel

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by engrjacuzzi: 8:36am On Feb 27, 2018
truly Nigeria was a better place to be in the past. ever since Indomine came to Nigeria, we lost our values and integrity. compare and contrast the kind of Comedy and programs aired in the 70's, 80's and 90's to our big brother naija, comedy series, cartoon and you will see that we lost our values. NTA channels 5, 7, and 10 are not even considered these days except for nationwide news.

everything seemed to work in the past, so my question is "who got Nigeria to this level we are?"
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Nobody: 8:51am On Feb 27, 2018
naptu2:

I remember both shows very well. In fact, I remembered Only Fools And Horses when I posted A Sharp Intake of Breath, but Black Adder and Only Fools And Horses were not shown on Nigerian television (LTV) until the 1990s.

I think it was NTA that showed them at the time, I may be wrong thou cus its been like forever, Baldrick killed me back then, He was absolutely stupid lol... It was in the 80’s I first saw the first episodes of Black Adder, On what station I saw it was what i cant rememeber, my dad got posted alot around Nigeria at the time. Same for Only fools and Horses.

Brilliant List Op, I’m surprised you still remembered alot. Respect!
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by Krak(m): 8:55am On Feb 27, 2018
lee818:

Charlie Chaplin was in that time but his classics were still shown in the 70's. I can't remember watching then, too young but I enjoy them now, Gold rush and limelight and the kid are my favorites of Charlie.

That's true. And I remember watching Harold Lloyd. Enjoyed it more than Charlie Chaplin.
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by pamcode(m): 9:11am On Feb 27, 2018
naptu2:
69) Icheoku
This sitcom is about a court in Igboland during the colonial era. The judge was British and the court clerk was his interpreter. The members of the public only understood Igbo, while the judge only understood English.

Hillarity was provided by the funny interpretation of the court clerk. I'll post a screenshot below of an episode that I remember very well.

The court clerk and the members of the public had been waiting for a long time for the judge to arrive.

The judge arrived the court very late and he told the court clerk to apologise to the people and tell them that he came late because he was hearing cases in another community when it started raining cats and dogs, so he had to shelter in that community until the rain subsided.

The court clerk looked shocked. The judge told him to go ahead and translate what he said. So the court clerk told the people that the judge said that he was late because pussycat and dogs started raining and jumping down from the sky just as the judge was about to come to their community.

70) Jacob And Papilolo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ibfz0hv6DV8

Bonus) Carry On Matron.

The Carry On series of films were very popular in Nigeria, but they were not shown on Nigerian TV for obvious reasons, except this one. This was shown on LTV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oa4V3p5vY6o

Bonus 2) Jagua

Why wasn't the Carry on series shown on TV in Nigeria
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by axeman10(m): 9:12am On Feb 27, 2018
Fond memories OP...

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air also comes to mind...I think it's more of the early 90s though than 80s.

For some other comedy shows on NTA channel 7 (chain I don't old wells)...we had;

The Ariya Jesters (Ereke ni Shop and Alajeju)
Then Obalende and Ateyepe
There was also Baba Suwe in the borderline of 80's n 90s
Tanmo (ko wa so)...more of TV quiz show but still fun

There was also Mirror in the sun (some comedy skits there)..and Ccock Crow at Dawn...

Nice compilation OP..cheers.
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by naptu2: 9:15am On Feb 27, 2018
axeman10:
Fond memories OP...

Fresh Prince of Bel-Air also comes to mind...I think it's more of the early 90s though than 80s.

For some other comedy shows on NTA channel 7 (chain I don't old wells)...we had;

The Ariya Jesters (Ereke ni Shop and Alajeju)
Then Obalende and Ateyepe
There was also Baba Suwe in the borderline of 80's n 90s
Tanmo (ko wa so)...more of TV quiz show but still fun

There was also Mirror in the sun (some comedy skits there)..and Ccock Crow at Dawn...

Nice compilation OP..cheers.

I had a long debate with myself about whether I should include Tanmo O! in the list.
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by obatoro: 9:28am On Feb 27, 2018
flyDixon:
Too bad, I didn't see MIND YOUR LANGUAGE cry
My all time favourite I still watch it.
Mind your Language is there. Check again.

I never missed watching Good times, with jay jay opening his big mouth, very funny!
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by lee818(f): 9:33am On Feb 27, 2018
Krak:

That's true. And I remember watching Harold Lloyd. Enjoyed it more than Charlie Chaplin.

I love Harold Lloyd too, do you also love Buster Keaton's movies. He had this dead pan face all time, which made him so funny!!! You must be like me a hugh fan of silent movies
Re: 70 Comedy Shows That Were Shown On Nigerian Television In The 1970s And '80s. by axeman10(m): 9:37am On Feb 27, 2018
naptu2:

I had a long debate with myself about whether I should include Tanmo O! in the list.

No worries mate... You still gave us an 'A' thread.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Judge Orders Prosecution Of Three Channels Television Staff / Lion Of Jada Releases First Episode On The Life Of Nigerian Strippers / Miss Teen United Nations Nigeria Reality TV Show Hosts 2019 Edition In Delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.