Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,279 members, 7,957,707 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 05:56 PM

Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. (3317 Views)

Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria? / Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria? / Are Writers Lonely? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by nkem12345(m): 8:28am On Apr 06, 2018
This is the truth;
Most people feel they know or can recreate what a writer has in mind. However, that is erroneous in itself.

I write movie scripts and stories and truth be told , writing (especially creative writing) is like carrying bags of cement to the top of a three-storied building .
If writers are to be handsomely paid, most of them need to be very creative ; challenge the mind of the reader, make sure your writings are error-free and best of all , keep the reader eager to see something new from you.
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by olowobaba10: 9:39am On Apr 06, 2018
a
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by lekzymania: 10:32am On Apr 06, 2018
Hello there, I'm in need of a professional writer that can handle quiz content, long term relationship and must be ready to handle them fast, contact me on my gmail @lekanolayanju@gmail.com.
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:40pm On Apr 06, 2018
SoNature:

You are even a terrible writer yourself!

To the topic, the sectors that pay well in Nigeria are oil/gas, financial services industry and health.

You merely make money in creative industry if you are self-employed

I'm not claiming to be a terrific writer, that's why I employ them to write for me.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by ade101(m): 7:46pm On Apr 06, 2018
HenryDion:

I'm not claiming to be a terrific writer, that's why I employ them to write for me.

Don't mind him. Nice response...
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by SoNature(m): 8:20pm On Apr 06, 2018
HenryDion:

You replied like an adult. Sorry that I attacked you
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by tripleasyndicat(m): 11:47am On Apr 07, 2018
kingkoboko:
This ur rant doesn't even sell ur own writing skills well. U shud have done ur research properly b4 writing it. Have u found out how much an average journalist in Nigeria earns? Except u're referring 2freelance writers alone. I'm not saying writers are well-paid in Naija o! Hehehe...

And in my own opinion, a creative writer deserves more respect & more money than a journalist because honestly it's easier 2report an event (If u passed thru secondary sch, u must've learnt 2write such essays) than it is 2use ur imagination 2craft out written works of art.

That's why writers like Chinua Achebe & King kObOkO will always make money, dead or alive, selling their creative works. If u're wondering who King kObOkO is, ask Google abeg. *winks*

The earnings of journalist is not what is in question here, rather the earnings of freelance writers. For information sake, not all who claim to be journalist are realy trained journalist. There are some people who had trainng in other fields but found themselves in journalism. Yet, these people would claim to be journalist. A person trained in journalism is not on equal footing with these calibre of people, just like the secondary school students you made reference to. How many secondary school students, even graduates in humanity courses, know the nitty-gritty of english grammar or have had adequate training to leanr the rudiments of the grammar.

I remembered in 2014 while i was having my intern program with NTA Ibadan. There were some of our colleages who had training in other fields like pol science, english, public admin and so on. These people also joined us in our news reporting tasks but, honestly speaking, we were never on the same ladder in terms of qualitative reporting and obeisance of the ethics of our profession. We have some full time staff who shares similar condition as well. Are these people not journalists to the lay people?
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by tripleasyndicat(m): 11:56am On Apr 07, 2018
HenryDion:
Hmmmm.. The truth is; getting terrific writers here in Nigeria is like looking for a pin in an ocean. I run a blog that requires employing writers and trust me, I have seen worst. If you find a good writer, please hold him or her tight.

As for pay, it's all about negotiation. Nobody is been forced.

Well said. But we have a principle on hold that annihilates this thougt. Every trained journlaist is a writer and a good one but not all writers are really trained or are journalist. So anyone who claims to be a writer may not be trained to write but he picks up writing on the street. So do not apply a blanket ruling until you know the discpline of a writer in question.
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by tripleasyndicat(m): 12:18pm On Apr 07, 2018
All being said, if you are in doubt that there abound pool of qualitative and excellent writers in Nigeria, you may contact this bearer for a trial and give your testimony thereafter. Contact him on;
Gmail - tripleasyndicate@gmail.com
Linkedin - Hassan AbdurRahman Taiwo
Whatsapp - 08037932807.
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by NisforNicky: 3:09pm On Apr 07, 2018
Afritop:
Maybe because writing is no more a new thing

Gloriouspa:

You are right my brother. Few weeks ago I was with a friend in his office, he showed me the job application letters written by somd Nigerian graduates, who applied for a job in thier office, it was full of errors.

The issue of underpaid is on one side while some client will certified your sample and you do the real job and some will refuse to pay. You will later see your write-up posted on their website. It happened to me recently.

stagger:
When a "writer" demands 5000 a piece and sends a sample loaded with all sorts of grammatical errors, is such pay justified? I wish I can upload a sample of what has been sent me as samples for tests I conduct. It is mind boggling.

So before we talk of higher pay, the true writers should show themselves.

i swear yu are saying all diz because yu avnt met Lemuelirabor

jxt search for d guy on nairaland and u will b wowed by his writings.
i tink d guy iz a foreigner or half-cast sha.....hiz jxt 2 gud
HenryDion:
Hmmmm.. The truth is; getting terrific writers here in Nigeria is like looking for a pin in an ocean. I run a blog that requires employing writers and trust me, I have seen worst. If you find a good writer, please hold him or her tight.

As for pay, it's all about negotiation. Nobody is been forced.
stagger:
When a "writer" demands 5000 a piece and sends a sample loaded with all sorts of grammatical errors, is such pay justified? I wish I can upload a sample of what has been sent me as samples for tests I conduct. It is mind boggling.

So before we talk of higher pay, the true writers should show themselves.

i swear yu are saying all diz because yu avnt met Lemuelirabor

jxt search for d guy on nairaland and u will b wowed by his writings.
i tink d guy iz a foreigner or half-cast sha.....hiz jxt 2 gud
Re: Why Are Writers Underpaid In Nigeria. by authorsegun(m): 6:07pm On Nov 13, 2018
Report writing (journalism) is learnable, while creativity (creativity writing) is personified.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bonds Of Destiny / Love Reading, Right? Well, Check This Site Out! / Welcome To The US.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.