Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,122 members, 7,814,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House - TV/Movies (165) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House (289076 Views)

Games Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon Official Discussion Thread / Nigerians Storm Gotv Facebook Page Over WWE / Rachel Johnson Goes Topless On Live TV Show During Brexit Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (298) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Nobody: 12:50pm On Aug 17, 2020
pu7pl3:

grin grin

Again Palema 007 my apologies
Lol.. it's okay, you are forgiven.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Nobody: 12:57pm On Aug 17, 2020
Corbin:
welcome aboard woman

Just add the f sign to ur profile wink
Thank you Sir smiley
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 4:37pm On Aug 17, 2020
Palema007:
Lol.. it's okay, you are forgiven.

Please take Corbin's advice smiley
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:39am On Aug 18, 2020
RAW recap reviews and reactions

Bayley and Sasha came out before the women’s tag match to announce that Asuka was the Empress of Stupidity for thinking that she would beat either of them at SummerSlam.
But, who should she face first?
Bayley said Sasha should face her first, then Sasha said Bayley should face her first, they went back and forth. But in a bit of foreshadowing, Sasha said because Bayley is her bestie, she wants her to go first, and Bayley accepted. Shayna and Asuka came out and Shayna said first, that she will face whoever is the Raw women’s champion after the pay-per-view. Asuka then said that Shayna needed to work with her in the match tonight.
So the match started, and almost immediately Nia Jax burst through a section of plexiglass and attacked Baszler. They brawled to the back and Baszler left Asuka alone in the ring. Bayley said “No Kairi, No Shayna, No Chance!” and I love her so much. The role models tried some double team offense to get the match won, but Asuka kept kicking out. Shayna decided to come back and got tagged in, almost losing when Bayley and Sasha did a back stabber/Bayley to belly combo. Asuka came in to get Sasha out and locked in the Asuka lock on the outside while Shayna locked in her Kirifuda Clutch to win.
I really enjoyed the back and forth with Sasha and Bayley before the match, and Sasha was able to convince Bayley to go before her at SummerSlam. I already had the feeling that someone was losing a title.
Maybe, both will. And I think that Bayley will be the reason why Asuka becomes Asuka Two Belts. She did say she’d do anything for her best friend, and I think she’ll be making her best friend lose when that help goes awry.

Another legend down
It was Shawn Michaels’ turn to run down Randy Orton for being a bastard.
Before he came out, he met Drew McIntyre in the back and said he understands how upset Drew is, but he needs to understand, Randy Orton’s gonna use that against him. HBK called him a stud and said yeah, it’s been tough, but he can do it. He wants Drew to go to SummerSlam, show everyone who he is, but he wants a favor - give him space when he goes out to face Randy.
Later, he said that without Ric Flair, there’d be no Shawn Michaels, no Triple H, Batista, Big Show, Edge, Christian, and no Drew McIntyre. Orton doesn’t have the same gratitude and appreciation, despite Ric mentoring him.
And Randy does the good ol’ fashioned RKO Outta Nowhere. McIntyre ran out and threw Orton around, but when he went back in to check on Michaels, Orton gave him the RKO too.
I’m ready for the match at SummerSlam. To be honest, I’ll be satisfied with either man winning. Orton has had a stellar 2020 and as much as we say the old guard should be putting over the new blood, Orton deserves one last run. I’ve been a fan of his for a long time, and yeah he got boring for a while. He even said so last month! But I wouldn’t mind one more run.
As for Drew, his 2020 started out with a big Rumble win and he got the coronation at WrestleMania 36. His run at the top hasn’t had the best moments, especially the most recent feud before Orton, but the present feud brought a real seriousness Drew needed. He’s certainly been one of the best babyface champions in recent memory.
Who do you want to win at SummerSlam?

A little better RETRIBUTION
This is how RETRIBUTION should have always been introduced, folks.
I was enjoying Drew’s promo at the start of the show and the beginning glitch seemed like an oops-a-daisy, but then the shot to the back and some of the group with bats and crowbars in the production truck.
They destroyed some laptops and forced a dude to cut the feed to USA Network and go to commercial as Drew was talking. When they returned, the hard cam was the only camera used for the first few minutes as The Hurt Business came out. Honestly getting Kevin Dunn out of the production truck is a babyface move.
I can only hope that this Friday they take it to another level, similar to this show. I don’t know how much destruction RETRIBUTION can do to the Amway Center, though.

Mysterios get revenge - Rey said that having to see his own flesh and blood in agony and not being able to do anything about it made him feel a rage that he’s never felt before. He needed to be there to protect Dom, to stop the beating, to take that beating himself if need be. No doctor on this planet will stop him from protecting his son. Dominik thanked his dad and said he knew what he was in for when he signed his contract, and he knows what he has to do to defend their family, and he’ll be ready.
Seth said he didn’t take Rey for an idiot, and yet here he stands in the ring less than a week away from the most important moment in his son’s life, putting him in more danger. Rollins can’t understand why he continues to put himself and his son in these situations. Rey baited him into coming down to the ring with Murphy. They came out and while Rey distracted them, Dom got kendo sticks and the Mysterios took their revenge.
I’m curious to see how Dom does at SummerSlam. The street fight stipulation will help him, but I want to see some wrestling. I don’t think he’s winning though, even with Rey in his corner.

Apollo Crews def. Shelton Benjamin / Bobby Lashley pins Apollo Crews - MVP and the Hurt Business called out RETRIBUTION. Who benefits most from Retribution’s actions, he asked. Apollo Crews does! They showed up about the same time that he fought Crews for the United States Championship, and that’s not a coincidence. Apollo came out and said that he knows MVP can’t beat him without Lashley and Benjamin. If he wins against Shelton, Hurt Business is banned from ringside at SummerSlam.
Benjamin tried a Paydirt but it got blocked and Crews hit a nice spinebuster. R-Truth and the ninjas got in the way and distracted Benjamin, and Crews got a jackknife pin to win. MVP put out a challenge for Apollo and two men of his choosing VS. the Hurt Business in a 6 man elimination tag match. Truth came back out and Benjamin pinned him for the 24/7 title.
For the elimination tag team match, Ali was the first one eliminated. I hate you, WWE. Then Ricochet. I hate you, WWE. Apollo eliminated Shelton, and Cedric came out of nowhere and pinned him for the 24/7 title. Apollo eliminated MVP, then Lashley speared Apollo for the win. I didn’t care about any of this because I absolutely hate WWE for screwing up Ali ALREADY! Lashley looked good, as did Apollo. Ali and Ricochet look bad. But that’s par for the course.

Angel Garza def. Ivar - Backstage before this match that woman from the Bachelor was hanging around and she quickly revealed how much of a bad actress she is and I tuned out. Just know that Ivar apparently has powers to summon turkey legs from the floor. The match literally doesn’t matter. What does however, is that Angelo Dawkins and Samoa Joe revealed that there is some footage WWE found.

Zelina got some ‘splaining to do! - Turns out our girl Zelina Vega was the one who poisoned Montez Ford after all, and I have to say I’m a bit disappointed by this. I would have rather RETRIBUTION been the ones behind this. Welp, I guess this is supposed to light fire under Street Profits. I see them retaining because the Bachelor woman is probably getting involved somehow.

Montez Ford def. Andrade - Short match and Bianca Belair slammed Zelina and Tez took advantage of the distraction.

Natalya wins a… match? - Most of Mickie James’ return match was taken up by the Messiah asking Samoa Joe how he knew Rey Mysterio was going to be in the building. The camera crew prioritized that interaction over the actual match. This was a shame because I was looking forward to Mickie James’ return.

Peyton Royce def. Ruby Riott - ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Raw Underground - This time we had Erik and Dolph Ziggler where Dolph choked him out. Arturo Ruas and Riddick Moss were in a fight and no one won because it broke out into the crowd. Shayna brought her friends Marina Shafir and Jessamyn Duke to Shane, and that got Shafir a match which she won quickly. Then Nia Jax showed up and beat up Duke and Shayna got in the ring to fight her, but she left. Underground was better this week, with some longer matches with a more shoot fight feel. The camerawork is still trash.

Samoa Joe played a nice role as an insider, knowing about Rey coming back to the show and the video Angelo Dawkins showed revealing Zelina poisoned Montez. I really liked that little arch on the show. A lot of this show was okay. More YouTube worthy, in my opinion. The best part was the women’s tag team match. That’s what I’m most interested in for the pay-per-view.
I’m not that excited for ThunderDome, because Kevin Dunn is still employed.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Qu3sT(m): 3:50pm On Aug 18, 2020

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Zeemuthafuka: 8:53am On Aug 20, 2020
WWE NXT reviews recaps and reactions

The Natural
Pat McAfee is very good at this wrestling thing.
He’s a natural heel who’s always had the gift of gab. But even with all that, his promo against Adam Cole this week was very strong.
It was the perfect mix of not burying/putting over his opponent while putting over himself more. He made excuses for the cheap shot punt he delivered to the former champ, selling it as some major accomplishment in a way that made sure the fans know he was full of crap.
Meanwhile, the normally very talkative Adam Cole just leaned in the corner and let him run his mouth. When McAfee was done, Cole walked towards him, triggering security to run in and try to stop him. And like most security in the world of wrestling, they got their ass kicked, this time single handedly by Adam Cole.
Watching that suddenly put a worried look on Pat’s face. Not too worried. He was still trying to play it cool. But it was clear Adam sent a message that words could not.
We have no idea how Pat will fare in the ring, but up to that point, he’s nailed his role in this feud. I have confidence they’ll book the match to keep the momentum going.

Second Chance
Velveteen Dream defeated Finn Bálor in the main event to earn a spot in the second chance ladder match.
To be totally honest, I’m not able to get into Dream matches right now. The shadow of allegations is tough to get past. Yes, we don’t know if he’s guilty or innocent, but everyone is going to approach matches like these differently. Triple H’s “let’s talk about something else” put a bad taste in my mouth. So right now, these are matches I’m not going to be able to enjoy like I was be able to prior. Will that last forever? Not necessarily. But right now, it’s tough for me to completely objectively watch a Dream match.
What I did gleam just watching the match is Velveteen is better in this role as a vicious heel. It’s a new wrinkle he’s doing well with. At one point he was laying in some punches while standing on the turnbuckle and then turned to the crowd and shouted “Why aren’t you counting along?” That was good heeling.
This match ended up having plenty of run ins from everyone who is in the TakeOver ladder match. It was a standard “get everyone in there” trope, but NXT doesn’t do it often so this was fun.
In the end, it was Bronson Reed left standing holding the gold. This build has done a good job establishing him as a bigger deal than he was prior. He’s probably not going to win on Saturday. I still think that honor goes to Damian Priest. But they’ve elevated multiple guys in this build. That’s the ideal.

She’s Back
Dakota Kai’s partner in crime, Raquel González, has returned. And that’s a very good thing for the women’s title match against Io Shirai this Saturday. Because Kai had been floundering without the gimmick that brought her to the dance - small heel with a formidable bodyguard.
The return went down during a brawl between challenger and champion that took place after Kai dispatched Jessi Kamea. The Kiwi cut a pretty generic but not bad heel promo regarding her plans to repeatedly kick Io in the face this weekend. Shirai wasn’t feeling just listening to that dumb BS so stormed to the ring, and a brawl ensued.
That’s when Raquel appeared, shifting the momentum square into the corner of Kai. The two women left the joshi champ laying, establishing dominance prior to TakeOver.
González was sorely missing during the build to the match, for whatever reason she was out. Because of that, they had to quickly reestablish the duo and did a good job of it. This would have been more effective if Raquel was around the entire time to reenforce the challenger, but this was enough to add some fire to the women’s title program.

Ouch
Johnny Gargano was meant to be the heel when he went over Ridge Holland to qualify for the TakeOver ladder match. But it just didn’t play that way.
The size difference alone is enough to place Johnny at underdog status. Ridge is a tree trunk of a man. So even Gargano’s cheating (such as aid from Candice LeRae) seemed like reasonable evening of the playing field.
But then there was that straight up nasty bump he took in the middle of the match, when Holland didn’t turn all the way on a powerslam, planting Johnny Wrestling right on his head. The announce team put that over big time, amazed he even finished the match. So winning that match was nothing but an amazing accomplishment.
It’s not an issue. He can resume his heel ways this Saturday, hopefully avoiding the bigger bumps during the ladder match. Meanwhile, while Ridge looks physically impressive, this was a reminder he has a lot of work to do.

- El Legado del Fantasma defeated the trios team of Breezango and Isaiah “Swerve” Scott. The cruiserweight champ pinned Tyler Breeze after the referee deemed Tyler and not Isaiah the legal man when it looked like Swerve had the champ pinned. This has been a simple build (in a good way) towards Scott vs. Santos Escobar. Scott is the only man to pin Escobar. This was during the cruiserweight title tournament when Escobar was still El Hijo del Fantasma. Because of that, Swerve should get an eventual title match.

- Shotzi Blackheart & Rhea Ripley got a measure of revenge on the Robert Stone Brand this week, defeating Mercedes Martinez & Aliyah. While Shotzi pinned Aliyah, the real point of note was the big time power bomb Ripley delivered to Martinez on the floor, adding some heat to that eventual killer feud.

This was a solid episode, with some strong contributions from the women’s title build and the McAfee/Cole segment. Everyone is going to be able to enjoy Velveteen Dream to varying levels and I fall in the “I can’t really get into his segments” right now. Outside that, this was an enjoyable show.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 4:15pm On Aug 20, 2020
That Johnny's bump was different kinds of uncomfortable to watch.
I'm actually feeling Dakota either way but yeah, having Raquel by her side is better for her heel persona.
And I'm really curious about how Cole Vs McAfee will play out.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Zeemuthafuka: 6:22pm On Aug 20, 2020
Kaycee7:
That Johnny's bump was different kinds of uncomfortable to watch.
I'm actually feeling Dakota either way but yeah, having Raquel by her side is better for her heel persona.
And I'm really curious about how Cole Vs McAfee will play out.

Expect a brutal match with Cole winning in the end
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kyra1(f): 10:15pm On Aug 20, 2020
I didn't know Seth Rollins could be this wicked that he hurt Rey Mysterio's eye so badly that he can't see with it currently and is not sure if he will ever have a full recovery. As if that was not enough, he beat his son, Dominik too, leaving him with lot of injuries. He is no longer the Seth I once knew.
cry
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Corbin: 10:18pm On Aug 20, 2020
Kyra1:
I didn't know Seth Rollins could be this wicked that he hurt Rey Mysterio's eye so badly that he can't see with it currently and is not sure if he will ever have a full recovery. As if that was not enough, he beat his son, Dominik too, leaving him with lot of injuries. He is no longer the Seth I once knew.
cry
grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Galactico4ever(m): 10:36pm On Aug 20, 2020
Just finished watching last year's WrestleMania main event and I noticed the abrupt finish.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Zeemuthafuka: 10:40pm On Aug 20, 2020
Kyra1:
cry

He is our Messiah now please put some respect on his name

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Zeemuthafuka: 10:43pm On Aug 20, 2020
Corbin:
grin

why did this one add F to his name now

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Corbin: 10:49pm On Aug 20, 2020
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Corbin: 10:50pm On Aug 20, 2020

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Zeemuthafuka: 10:52pm On Aug 20, 2020
Corbin:
you have two monikers shocked

No too loud am

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Corbin: 10:52pm On Aug 20, 2020
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Corbin: 10:53pm On Aug 20, 2020
Zeemuthafuka:

No too loud am
okk
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Zeemuthafuka: 10:56pm On Aug 20, 2020
Corbin:
okk

Remove that F from your miler ASAP...stop disrespecting King Corbin angry
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Corbin: 11:06pm On Aug 20, 2020
Zeemuthafuka:

Remove that F from your miler ASAP...stop disrespecting King Corbin angry
ok cool
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Zeemuthafuka: 10:58am On Aug 21, 2020
Corbin:
ok cool

But wait o..just to be sure..you're a guy ABI? grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Corbin: 12:12pm On Aug 21, 2020
Zeemuthafuka:

But wait o..just to be sure..you're a guy ABI? grin
wink grin
Yeah I am
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:33pm On Aug 21, 2020
I just saw a sneak peak thunderdome video that WWE released on twitter and wow!! That venue is really dope...shout out to the production team and designers

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:15am On Aug 22, 2020
WWE Smackdown recap reviews and reactions

ThunderDome debuted on this show.
The visual of it all is stunning. A large multi LED set, LED light bars all over the place, and real fans shown for as far as the hard camera can see, which double as LED light bars for wrestlers’ entrances.
It was really amazing
I liked seeing a big venue again. It was frankly the only “return to normalcy” I got from this set up. Though it was a little bit marred by the many digital fans in attendance.Rarely did I see any enthusiasm, and you didn’t even hear them react to anything! WWE used piped in crowd noise for the show! What was the point?
If they want this to succeed, there needs to be changes. I was intrigued by this just off of the prospect of fan reaction again, and I got none of it. But I loved it anyway

Un-Hurtable
Braun and Bray Wyatt had a number of interactions on this show.
First, The Fiend interrupted Vince McMahon at the start of the show, who was then interrupted by Braun, who was then interrupted by RETRIBUTION. Fiend waved bye-bye and disappeared when the lights went out.
Later, Bray Wyatt appeared in the Firefly Funhouse and presented Firefly Funhouse Theatre - Huskus and Ramblin’ Rabbit playing Braun and Alexa Bliss… this was terrible, but thankfully it ended quick. All of a sudden, Bray stopped talking and Braun blindsided him. Thankfully he did not burn down the Funhouse like another evil bastard in the past.
So suddenly, we’re backstage and Braun and Bray are brawling. Braun chokeslammed Bray off a loading dock, and the producers and referees motioned an ambulance to take Bray out of the arena and to the hospital. They loaded him up, the ambulance started to drive off, and then it stopped and backed up. The lights inside turned red, and The Fiend opened the doors and laughed into the camera to close the show.
I don’t know what Alexa Bliss’s involvement with the main event angle is. As of now, my feeling is that SummerSlam has to be the end of this feud. It’s doing neither performer any favors. As for Braun, his whole run as Universal champion has left much to be desired. I don’t know who’s going to win..what are y'all thoughts?
I'd still watch anything with the Fiend in it tho and I kinda dig this new Braun

Beat the clock
Bayley and Sasha Banks were brought out by Corey Graves for an interview.
Graves asked the women if they were going to end their friendship and they said that they’re always on the same page. They go back and forth on who should face Asuka first, even though Bayley decided she would go first on Raw. Bayley said there’s no one who can beat them on the same night, and Naomi interrupted and said she wanted to face them both. Graves suggested a beat the clock challenge to find out who goes first and they accepted.
Naomi started with Sasha, and they went 3:39. Naomi hit a nice corkscrew jawbreaker and springboard kick but Sasha was really on her to try and keep the clock as low as possible. The Bank Statement did the deed, and Bayley got in immediately to wear Naomi down and get a quick pin. However, it wasn’t Bayley getting the quick pin here! Naomi hit the Rear View and pinned Bayley.
So Sasha won the Beat the clock challenge and will face Asuka second at SummerSlam. Sasha’s face when Bayley lost… that was golden. I would like to see this win mean something for Naomi, but WWE doesn’t like putting fans’ desires ahead of theirs.
What I said on the Raw recap I still stand by though. I believe Bayley will lose, and then Sasha will lose “by accident” as a result of Bayley’s involvement.

No DQ Loser Leaves WWE match
Sonya Deville. I love her.
She had herself quite a scare just a couple of days ago and WWE was kind of pulling the curtain back without downright mentioning it, by having Mandy Rose say “it’s been a rough week” and that they’ve been through a lot of good and beautiful things together as best friends. She wanted to see the good in Sonya and still believes that it’s there. She wants to put everything behind them and get back to where they were. It was a heartfelt promo that you could tell was coming from the heart since they both went through a harrowing experience the other day.
How did Sonya respond? First, by SLAPPING the hell out of Dana Brooke backstage. Then she came out to the stage and said Mandy is second guessing her own match she asked for, and that’s no surprise. She knows everyone knows she doesn’t care if she’s bald, so she upped the ante — it will now be a No Disqualification Loser Leaves WWE match. She realized she’s sick of looking at Mandy’s face and someone needs to go.
I can only imagine it took an incredible amount of strength for Sonya in particular to show up and be on television after what happened. She brought a raw feeling to this promo that hit differently from her other promos in the past.
I don’t know what the loser leaves town stipulation was added for, but if I had to guess, it’s so that Sonya can take some time off and maybe do a few other projects she’s been wanting to do. It’s a shame because I will miss her dearly but I completely understand that sometimes you have to take a step back. I think it’s pretty clear who’s winning here.

The Rest
Jeff Hardy def. AJ Styles - Styles is a confirmed douchebag. When RETRIBUTION attacked at the start of the show, he took advantage and tried to injure Jeff so he couldn’t face him for the Intercontinental title. For half of the show, Jeff was shown in the trainer’s room getting looked at, and was cleared to compete.
Throughout the match, Styles tried going after that injured knee by smashing it onto the apron and using that knee in the Calf Crusher. Jeff was somehow able to fight from underneath and hit the Twist of Fate and Swanton bomb for the win. He talked about how much the title meant to him and his redemption and was promptly played offstage like he had just won an Academy Award.

The Artists def. Lucha House Party - Lucha House Party and the Artists are a great pairing. Cesaro is really great with his arsenal. Feels like he switches it up with different opponents. Lince and Metalik are crazy athletic, and I wouldn’t mind singles runs for each of them, which judging from the end of the match, could be happening soon.

Big E def. Sheamus - Did anyone ask for beef? Because there was a lot of it in this match. Sheamus was beet red on some spots of his body. I didn’t really understand how this match could go on after RETRIBUTION attacked and everyone ran them off, heel and babyface. Sheamus lost via distraction, which is WWE’s favorite way to end matches these days.

Speaking of RETRIBUTION… - The inconsistency of WWE’s booking continues to halt any good this group could do. Last Monday, they attacked the production crew and forced a commercial, then disappeared for the rest of the show. Tonight, they attacked Braun and escaped a locker room beatdown, flickered the lights for Sheamus and Big E’s match, then were off the rest of the show. It’s going to take a lot for me to really care about them. I have little faith in WWE to make that happen.

SmackDown hasn’t been great for the past few weeks, and I thought it was going to turn around. I was left with a bigger production, shot the same way Kevin Dunn shoots things, and very questionable booking decisions to characters I used to like. Let’s see what happens on Sunday.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 2:09pm On Aug 22, 2020
That Big E win pissed me off. We don't need a half-hearted singles push. We need WWE to get completely behind him. That guy is money.

Also, I think people are still getting used to the Thunderdome concept. It's a whole different chapter in crowd attendance. Let's see how it goes in the upcoming weeks
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 4:57pm On Aug 22, 2020
Kaycee7:
That Big E win pissed me off. We don't need a half-hearted singles push. We need WWE to get completely behind him. That guy is money.

Also, I think people are still getting used to the Thunderdome concept. It's a whole different chapter in crowd attendance. Let's see how it goes in the upcoming weeks

I think it will grow on me but the crowd needs to be more responsive..they look like paper images instead
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Giftsketches18(f): 9:45pm On Aug 22, 2020
Past NYSC DG'S response to the financial complaints of Nigerian youths

The NYSC's Director Generals in recent times have encouraged Youth corpers to desist from relying solely on the monthly allowances from the Federal Government's reserve as they have proved minimal over the years owing to the incessant complaints from preceding corpers.
       Other complaints that have gotten to the ears of Management Staff include the ill-luck of numerous Youth corpers during service, pinning down to the organization in question that they served at. Many have described their service year as a waste of time relating it to the ridiculous amount of money aquired during service.
       Thus, Youth Corpers have been sensitised on the common reality of serving at a place lower than expectation and how they can tackle the dilemma. Public activists and Youth empowerment institutions have further encouraged Corpers to engage in convenient side hustles, preferably online based, if they are too displeased with the events at hand, because the Nigerian government has proved incompetent over the years, hence, cannot be relied upon.
          Certain business Organisations have further displayed interests in the idea and given their full support through investment incentives and convenient online jobs offered on a platter of gold. Recharge And get Paid VTU Agency, Cryptocurrency institutions, and WordPress are prominent examples of companies bidding aspiring youths to invest in them with minimal funds and get rewards of incentives, job offers and international trips. A very notable effort at remedying the prospective damages of the Federal Government's laxity towards it's youth.
         Thousands of Nigerian youths have enjoyed, and are still enjoying these incentives offered by online institutions such as the aforementioned.
National Youth Service Corpers and Nigerian youths in General are advised to invest in online companies of these nature with minimal funds, get registered and start up online based ventures, hence becoming their own enterpreneurs while making sure to always remember that they are truly the leaders of tommorow.
         Miss. Ochem Ifeoma, the Team leader of Gift Sketches RAGP group gives words of wisdom to Nigerian Youths...
    ..... in quote; " To climb up the pedestal of wealth, place the first foot..

THIS MESSAGE IS NOT DIRECTED TO ONLY SERVICE CORPS MEMBERS, BUT NIGERIAN YOUTHS IN GENERAL.

TO LEARN MORE AND GET STARTED WITH ENJOYING INCENTIVES FROM EMPOWERMENT ORIENTED ORGANIZATIONS, CONNECT WITH US AT:
https:///C0TVfOdX5ggKc8tQsw4xpE
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Corbin: 12:39am On Aug 23, 2020
Giftsketches18 stop derailing angry
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:44am On Aug 23, 2020
WWE NXT Takeover Bleep REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Fall and Pray
Prepare for a different NXT.
After only six weeks of holding the title, Keith Lee lost the gold to Karrion Kross. This will usher in a new era of NXT with probably the most sinister villain they’ve had sitting on top of the promotion.
That’s not a bad thing at all. NXT’s style has been focused around chasing the villain for awhile now. Tommaso Ciampa was the big bad for a long time. Johnny Gargano held it briefly. Adam Cole was the champion for a long time. Keith Lee held it briefly.
It’s a style of booking focused around the chase over long standing babyfaces. And it’s a style I certainly don’t mind.
The match itself was overall enjoyable. Karrion Kross doesn’t work the NXT style so at times it felt more plodding, but as someone who thinks the NXT style is sometimes too over the top, I appreciated this.
Lee’s aggression early, maybe letting his emotions get the best of him, gave Kross a chance to trap Keith’s arm between the plexiglass and guardrail and crush it. Then the challenger spent the rest of the match trying to wear down that limb. Lee would fight back plenty of times, but Karrion continued to work the arm and retake the advantage.
The fight eventually led to a superb moment where the challenger hooked Lee into the Kross Jacket where it looked like it was a no doubter Lee was going to pass out. They hooked me into thinking it would be the finish but dammit the big man would not let his arm hit the mat and struggled to the ropes to break the hold.
This led to a final sequence where it looked like Keith Lee would be the first man to survive the dastardly Kross. But when fighting on the middle rope, Karrion delivered his second Doomsday Saito (Lee kicked out of the first) for the win.
Maybe the match could have been a bit shorter but it accomplished what it set out to do. It gave us a hoss fight where the hero continued to survive multiple onslaughts by the villain until he just couldn’t any more.
Now we wait and see what an NXT helmed by Karrion Kross looks like. Hopefully, the injury news I heard that Kross suffered isn't serious

Exceeding Expectations
It’s been a long time since we’ve seen someone step into the world of pro wrestling from a different walk of life and excel like Pat McAfee did.
Coming into this show, we knew he had the character and talking skills down. But in ring was going to be a totally different story... right? Not really.
Pat McAfee looked great out there against Cole. Yes, they booked the match to make sure he could do all they asked. But that involved top rope sentons onto the floor, back flips off the top rope landing on his feet, and single leaps on to the top turnbuckle.
And while he was doing all that, he was playing up his character. He wasn’t stopping to think. He kept his brash personality the entire time. Just like a professional wrestler should.
Can you argue that Cole sold too much for him? Sure. But given Pat has an athletic background, a size advantage, and cheated when he could, it wasn’t anything that will hurt the Panama City Playboy. Plus, Pat was impressive enough that I would have been disappointed with a short match. Sacrificing the former champ selling a little more than maybe he should have to get to see someone come in like a natural was worth it.
There was no angle coming out of this like some, including myself, had predicted. But it was a really fun bout that well exceeded expectations.

A Strong Duo... but Not Strong Enough
Io Shirai successfully defended her title against a game Dakota Kai.
NXT made sure to put over the team of Kai and Raquel González throughout this bout. Raquel’s fingerprints were all over that match, even if most of the time, she was watching from ringside.
Early in the match, Shirai tried to chase Dakota outside the ring but was stopped by the wall that is González. This allowed Kai to sneak up behind the champ and run her shoulder first into the ring post. (My only gripe with this angle is the back to back working of the arms between the two title matches.)
From that point on, the challenger targeted that injured arm, making the most of what Raquel had given her.
The impact got more blatant later when the referee went down to an inadvertent kick from Dakota, allowing González to get in the ring and chokeslam the champ.
But all of that, and a generally strong effort from the Kiwi, was not enough to put the champion away. Shirai won with her moonsault.
That was never really in doubt. The question was always going to be how good would Dakota look in the losing effort? And she looked pretty good now that she had Raquel back on her side. Though the post match angle has to make us wonder whether or not González will be doing her own thing sooner than later.
Kai’s heavy attacked the champ from behind while she was celebrating. This act brought Rhea Ripley to the ring for a big time stare down between Rhea & Raquel. That hints that González is going to see the spotlight more, though Rhea has a future date with Mercedes Martinez as well.

A Blast of Chaos
The ladder match for the vacant North American title was an absolute blast.
It’s tough to write reactions for matches like these because there’s just so many crazy spots and fun moments that it’s not easy to remember them all. But here are just a few things I liked enough to remember amongst all the other stuff I liked but don’t specifically remember;
-Candice LeRae getting involved on Johnny Wrestling’s behalf, even straight up costing Cameron Grimes, was really fun. It culminated in a spot where she jumped on the back of Bronson Reed on the top of the ladder so Thicc Boi jumped off the ladder onto Gargano with LeRae on his back. Serves them right.
-Velveteen Dream had a moment where he climbed one of two ladders set up to deliver an elbow drop, but when doing his pose, he knocked the title aside and realized “Oh shit, I should just try to win this match.” Unfortunately, hitting the title sent it swinging and he couldn’t grab it. I appreciate the realization “Oh maybe I shouldn’t do this move and instead try to win a championship.”
-Dream was done in by Big Thicc later when he was on the top of a ladder that was picked up by Reed, catapulting him over the barricade onto a table. That was it for Velveteen.
-The final moment when Damian Priest and Johnny Gargano were on the top battling for the title was well done. Johnny unhooked the title but Priest grabbed it from the top and Gargano couldn’t hang on. It was a clever moment with Damian realizing even though Johnny unhooked the strap, he still had time to grab it.
One thing this match did well was make you think anyone could win. There were plenty of moments I thought, “It may be over here” and then a crazy, and often creative, save kept it going.
Priest was a fine choice to win this. I felt he was the obvious one, but that’s not bad. Who knows? Maybe we’ll get another Bálor vs. Priest match down the road since Finn expressed really wanting that title and has a win over the man who’s champ. But that’s for another day.
Right now, this match, and the build prior, did a great job elevating guys like Reed, Grimes, and Priest to bolster the midcard.

Still Rolling
Finn Bálor and Timothy Thatcher were tasked with opening show
They put together a strong match based around Thatcher using his mastery of submissions and Bálor trying to stay ahead of him. Tim’s style is unique within the world of WWE/NXT so his matches are always a treat. Variety is the spice of life... and wrestling.
Plus, with his different style, they can build him as a master technician. There was one moment that really put that over. Finn Bálor missed his coup de grace, coming up lame. Thatcher noticed that his opponent had a bum leg and his eyes widened like a wolf eyeing an injured deer. And Bálor realized that he was in big trouble and scrambled just to survive from a man turned predator. It was a moment that really sold how dangerous Thatcher is.
In the end, Bálor did survive, winning with 1916. This isn’t too surprising. Finn has only lost one singles match since returning. He’s very protected and they likely want to keep that going for an eventual title feud. Thatcher will not be hurt from this loss.
Top to bottom this was a good show with few gripes to be had. It had a good flow, with different styles of matches throughout so it never felt homogenous.

The announce team was different. Corey Graves worked the show. Mauro Ranallo didn’t. That was a shame. Mauro is the voice of the brand and any show he’s not on doesn’t feel as much like you’re watching NXT. If they brought back Corey because he called so many TakeOvers in some of their glory days, I’d say bring back Tom Phillips too. He’s not my cup of tea on Raw, but that was the classic booth for a long time.

That aside, this was a fun show.

Grade: A-

Sound off below.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kyra1(f): 7:21pm On Aug 23, 2020
Zeemuthafuka:

He is our Messiah now please put some respect on his name
Smh
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 11:02pm On Aug 23, 2020
Kyra1:

Smh

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Corbin: 11:31pm On Aug 23, 2020
Burn it down !!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (162) (163) (164) (165) (166) (167) (168) ... (298) (Reply)

Cuando Seas Mia: 'When You Are Mine' / ARROW and THE FLASH fan page....... / Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 122
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.