Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,116 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:30 PM

Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House - TV/Movies (207) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House (291443 Views)

Games Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon Official Discussion Thread / Nigerians Storm Gotv Facebook Page Over WWE / Rachel Johnson Goes Topless On Live TV Show During Brexit Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) ... (298) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Qu3sT(m): 5:06pm On Jun 21, 2021
DownChelsea:
Face vs Heel is too clichè.

Can't we have Championship feuds of Heel vs Heel? Haba!

Thank God Lashley retained his Championship.

I promised myself to be done with WWE if they somehow managed to sneak the championship into McIntyre's hands.

I AM TIRED OF SEEING HIS FACE. WETIN SEF? HOW MANY REMATCHES?

INFACT let him switch to SmackDown let people like Seth put him in his place.

you want drew and Roman on the same brand, at the same time.......i like it
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by DownChelsea(f): 5:51pm On Jun 21, 2021
Qu3sT:

you want drew and Roman on the same brand, at the same time.......i like it
They can be on the same brand.

It's not like they were ever on the same level.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:01pm On Jun 21, 2021
Qu3sT:

I see what u did there wink

you're a wise man grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:04pm On Jun 21, 2021
DownChelsea:
Face vs Heel is too clichè.

Can't we have Championship feuds of Heel vs Heel? Haba!

Thank God Lashley retained his Championship.

I promised myself to be done with WWE if they somehow managed to sneak the championship into McIntyre's hands.

I AM TIRED OF SEEING HIS FACE. WETIN SEF? HOW MANY REMATCHES?

INFACT let him switch to SmackDown let people like Seth put him in his place.

Lol, why so angry? grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by DownChelsea(f): 6:06pm On Jun 21, 2021
pu7pl3:

Lol, why so angry? grin
Think about it na..

For how long now. Once we hear of anything WWE championship, we must somehow hear Drew's name. As as how?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:09pm On Jun 21, 2021
DownChelsea:
Think about it na..

For how long now. Once we hear of anything WWE championship, we must somehow hear Drew's name. As as how?

There was a time John Cena and Roman were like that and that's why they were stale to me grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Qu3sT(m): 8:33pm On Jun 21, 2021
DownChelsea:

They can be on the same brand.

It's not like they were ever on the same level.
They're both presented as the face of their respective brands, so yeah I'd say they're about equal
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 6:21am On Jun 22, 2021
pu7pl3:
Charlotte got her boobs reduced and I've been low-key mad at her for it...

Just wanted to get this off my chest grin
Andrade, come and see monitoring spirit

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Nezzjnr: 8:04am On Jun 22, 2021
When is Brock Coming back abeg

WWE has turned to a play ground

Vince should swallow up his pride and give Cm Punk a new contract
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:36am On Jun 22, 2021
Kaycee7:
Andrade, come and see monitoring spirit
how him go allow this kind thing? Dem need beat am grin grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:43am On Jun 22, 2021
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Welcome to Monday Night Hell in a Cell Raw.
Been really really long since the last time there was a Hell in a Cell match on Raw. So that’s pretty wild.
Before getting into it, I just want to put this quick thought out. I have been watching Raw for the entirety of the pandemic and a big portion of them have sucked.
They’ve felt lazy, uninspired, boring, repetitive, all of these words and then some. If you’ve been reading my recaps, you’ve seen these words. A lot.
All of a sudden June 21, 2021 rolls around and Raw... was good.
No, actually... great. I can’t remember the last time I said that about the red brand. There may not have been more than a handful of times this year so far.
So why was this show great? Every part of it mattered. All matches had stakes or something important, all matches were relatively fresh, and there were winners that went against the norm. THANK YOU!
I realize that it can’t be like this every week, but let’s keep this positive momentum going. Please.

Superhero
It’s only been two weeks, but guess what I have to feature!
Two weeks ago I said that I would never feature the Alexa Bliss angle again, unless something happened that forced it.
Welp.
If you’ve ever heard of the phrase “monkey’s paw” it’s where you wish for something without realizing the potential consequences.
So Nikki Cross won matches against both Rhea Ripley and Charlotte Flair for about a month, and I said that it would be foolish of her to not demand to be put in a title match. Well silly me for thinking something like that would happen.
Instead, Cross has transformed into... a superhero. Yeah. Very “DC/Marvel-like” of them, huh? Maybe we will get a multiverse next
She tagged with Alexa Bliss, whom she feuded with last year when Bliss turned to the dark side. And none of that was really mentioned, nor did Bliss or Cross show any contempt for one another. It’s almost like that... never happened?
Now, onto Bliss. She has new music, and guys, I’m just going to come out and say it, it sounded really dope. It’s infinity times better than her using the Fun House music. She also did some more mind control and almost got Reginald to slap Nia Jax, but stopped at the last second.
Anyway, Cross rolled up Shayna Baszler because Baszler doesn’t win matches anymore, and Alexa and Nikki are on to Money in the Bank.
My head hurts. I just want to clarify, as of now, I’m not feeling the superhero Nikki Cross thing. But could this be leading to something with Alexa and Nikki? I can’t believe I’m saying this but... I’m interested to see what happens next.
Wow.

Logical progression
Nothing really happened here but a rematch scheduled for the next pay-per-view.
However, I wanted to feature this because while the finish was stupid as hell, they are attempting to tell a story. And it’s actually a good story to tell.
Rhea Ripley’s character has been pretty shit since WrestleMania, and Charlotte Flair’s for the most part has been great. Now they dropped the Charlotte/Sonya Deville pairing for some reason, but it’s not the only moment in Charlotte’s career where she’s been given things without earning them.
So the story here that Rhea intentionally disqualified herself because that’s exactly what Charlotte would have done as champion makes sense. She gets to break the rules and be handheld throughout, but Rhea gets a whole segment being talked down to? That’s not fair.
Now, I kind of wish we didn’t have to wait to Money in the Bank for the rematch, because they could have just done the rematch on Raw. And if they wanted to do the match in front of fans, they could have just done the match then.
I kind of just wish they did a different DQ to get here, but we’re here now. Let’s see how it progresses.

Bad man
Bobby Lashley is a bad man.
He came out to celebrate his victory against Drew McIntyre and was interrupted by New Day. And toasted bread. I started getting worried about where this was going.
So after the toast was thrown, Kofi Kingston said that he was facing Lashley at Money in the Bank. Yay! But Xavier Woods was facing Lashley for the main event of this show... inside the Cell.
A bit random (maybe not if you’ve read rumors) but I was willing to give it a shot. And boy was it a good match.
Woods repeatedly had Lashley’s number and hit him with kendo sticks and chairs. He did an incredible dive from the top rope to Lashley through a table.
But in the end, Lashley locked the Hurt Lock in and Woods had to tap.
And then the bastard MVP locked the Cell again, preventing Kofi from getting in to help as Lashley choked Xavier. And the show ended beautifully.
This was a well done angle to get me invested in next week’s show. Very good job by all performers, and credit to WWE for a compelling, non-Lilly related cliffhanger. Now, Xavier may be out for a while and Lashley will indeed get Kofi alone at Money in the Bank.
And Kofi’s aggressive side should be a great thing to watch leading up to the show.

Money in the Bank qualifiers
Naomi and Asuka defeated Eva Marie and “DouDrop”
They actually made it right by having Eva Marie name Piper Niven DouDrop in a smart way. It was frustrating to think that Niven would just come out as DouDrop without recognition of her real name, and they just had Marie name her and Niven was sad about it. Good stuff.
See? Sometimes we wrestling fans get too into our own heads and need to let it play out.
Marie tagged Niven in immediately and the match was okay. She looked to her side of the ring and saw Marie wasn’t there, but Marie then tagged herself in when she thought she would get the easy win. And then Niven abandoned her and Naomi pinned her! Hahaha this was actually great. So is this a short lived pairing? I’m actually interested in seeing the fallout from this.

Ricochet defeated AJ Styles
Ricochet continuing to look Fight Club with the black jeans and boots is a great look. Absolutely gorgeous Northern Lights suplex from him for a near fall. Styles targeted the back of Ricochet’s head throughout the match to knock the high flyer off his feet to benefit him. The Calf Crusher didn’t do anything since it was locked in for a few seconds. Erik and Ivar distracted Omos and Ricochet countered the Phenomenal Forearm to win! Ricochet in Money in the Bank is a great choice. Ricochet on my screen is a great decision. Gonna stop thirsting now I’m just really excited that he’s in this match. If he wins (I know he probably won’t)... But if he does, Omo!!
Okay Okay I’ll stop now, fine.

John Morrison defeated Randy Orton
I’m surprised that this is the first time Orton and Morrison have faced each other. Morrison is actually a great opponent for Orton. He was flipping around and making sure not to be in an RKO position. And he was quite aggressive with Orton, too! More so than I remember seeing from Mr. Drip Drip as of late. Orton tried pulling Morrison’s hair to get him to break the hold but that didn’t work, so they traded punches and Orton came back with a clothesline. Miz squirted Morrison with the Drip Stick and Riddle came out to help Orton, but ended up costing him because Orton decided to get distracted by the awesome scooter vs wheelchair race. This was not Riddle’s fault. Orton should have known better.

Riddle defeated Drew McIntyre
McIntyre said words before the match, but his words suck so I didn’t listen to them. y’all! McIntyre rag dolled Riddle around. Riddle had a hilarious delayed reaction to a chop.
(By the way Drew’s chops mean nothing because I saw Matt get chopped by WALTER a few years ago. Yeah, WALTER. Multiple times.) McIntyre started to get more hurt as the match went on, selling his match with Lashley. Riddle kept bringing the fight to him, and Riddle took a nasty fall on a suplex from the top rope. And then Orton came out. Riddle countered a Claymore kick with a Bro-mission and won the match with a roll up which was smart because McIntyre’s back was hurting bad. So fantastic it deserves your eyes. This match was excellent. Orton gave Riddle the silent treatment after. This team is so great. I hope they don’t break up soon. Drew being done here makes me wonder what they’ll do with him. More intrigue!

That’s all folks. It’s been a long time since I’ve felt this good watching Raw, even if some things were... questionable. But even though they were questionable, I’m actually interested in seeing how they progress. Weird. This is Monday night?

Grade: A-
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 9:23am On Jun 22, 2021
Wetin be this nonsense abeg?

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:48am On Jun 22, 2021
Kaycee7:
Wetin be this nonsense abeg?

It was her idea o...she confirmed it with her husband on Twitter...let's give her a chance
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:15am On Jun 23, 2021
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

The “enforcer” era for Samoa Joe has begun
After William Regal agreed to make Samoa Joe his right hand man to ensure he was afforded the proper respect, NXT wrestlers started lining up to either suck up to Joe and get in his good graces or try to “provoke” him into getting physical. Here’s a quick example of the former as opposed to the latter.
Joe was not interested in any ass kissing, and the one time Adam Cole laid hands on him, he quickly wound up face down on the floor unconscious after Joe choked him out.
At the end of the show Regal and Joe promised it was “the first of many” nights to come with authority finally being restored. How did this new powerful duo whip the NXT roster into shape this week?
Unfortunately Joe didn’t get to choke anybody out this week, but he did have his hands full commanding the security team to break up multiple incidents, each of which we will cover in the notes below. In between those times Karrion Kross dared him to get “provoked” but Joe didn’t take the bait. As he let Kross walk by, Pete Dunne was waiting behind Joe to stare a hole through him for the second week, building up to a match that for medical reasons we may never ever get to see — and that’s a damn shame.

The Adam Cole and Kyle O’Reilly sandwich
Speaking of Cole and O’Reilly though, they were the two ends of a NXT sandwich this week and the rest of the show was the fillings. Seven days ago William Regal informed Adam Cole and Kyle O’Reilly that they would have to settle their differences at the Great American Bash on July 6th, but in the meantime they would have one-on-one matches with the opponent of their choosing. Cole would be too busy recovering from Joe’s choke to make his pick last week, so we’d get his answer this week!
We already know who O'Reilly picked to face this week
First up though was Adam Cole (bay bay), who came out to open the show and informed us that he would be facing... no one, because he doesn’t play by anybody’s rules but his own. As it turns out though he didn’t have to choose because Carmelo Hayes interrupted, did his best John Cena imitation by declaring his “ruthless aggression” and slapping Cole in the face. The ref already knew what Cole wanted after this disrespect and called for the bell.
Given his “rookie” status you’d probably be surprised by how much Cole gave Hayes in this match. This could have easily been treated like a squash, but it was as close to 50/50 as Hayes was going to get in a losing effort. Once the fireman’s carry was countered into a backstabber from Cole though it was the beginning of the end, and despite several attempts to put Cole away, his superkick was better and his Panama Sunrise was the nail in the coffin. He’s worked with both KUSHIDA and Cole in matches on NXT and looked good both times, so that speaks to the quality of people he’s working with, but it just might say that Hayes is a future star in the making to keep your eye on too.
At the other end of the sandwich we had a non-title “respect” match with two wrestling and grappling technicians. O’Reilly and KUSHIDA had the closest thing to a worked MMA match we’re going to see in NXT, constantly fighting their way in and out of armbars, choke holds, and leg locks with the occasional near fall thrown in just to remind us it was pro wrestling. At the end of this move for move, counter for counter war, KUSHIDA tried to drag O’Reilly to the center to reapply the Hoverboard Lock, but O’Reilly countered one last time into a small package for the win. Neither man had much time to appreciate their efforts. Adam Cole ran out from the back and got into a wild brawl with O’Reilly, spilling behind the announce table and through the barricade as Joe sent his army of lieutenants to snatch them up.
To make KUSHIDA’s loss even worse, he got jumped by the debuting Diamond Mine to close the show, a faction which features Malcolm Bivens as the manager/mouthpiece and the returning Roderick Strong! He’d be joined by Bivens protege Tyler Rust and a Performance Center coach/certified badass named Hideki Suzuki. DM left KUSHIDA in a heap and Bivens threw his cruiserweight title onto his prone carcass before the show went off the air.

Franky Monet’s encore debut
If the opening and closing segments had been the entirety of the show, I would have been just fine with it, but there’s much more to talk about. Franky Monet (FKA Taya Valkyrie) and her little dog Presley have made their pre-debut, their NXT debut, their backstage segment debut, and their “world premier” in-ring debut just to name a few. It’s now a running joke that the NXT writers can’t seem to get enough of. Ladies and gentlemen I present to you this week’s “encore debut” of Franky Monet on WWE NXT!
This week’s victim for the encore premier was Elektra Lopez — a name I can only assume the brain trust came up with by combining Carmen Elektra and Jennifer Lopez. She had an outfit that tried to emphasize her ass-ets to boot, and in the words of Shakira her hips didn’t lie when she danced to celebrate a brief moment of triumph over Monet. The rest of the time though it was all Taya Valkyrie’s show, throwing around Lopez with ease, doing ground and pound when she wanted, and finishing things off with a big Glam Slam. I enjoy watching Franky/Taya do these squashes. Let’s stop calling them a “premier” though unless we’re going to get DJ Premier on the 1’s and 2’s.

Million Dollar Retribution
After LA Knight’s cowardly attack on Ted DiBiase Sr., fellow millionaire Cameron Grimes ran down to make the save to the raucous approval of the NeXTras in attendance. Now that his full fledged face turn has begun, how would Grimes get retribution on Knight for attacking the man he both emulated and idolized?
Actually... he wouldn’t. Despite a hard tease for it on both last week’s program and via social media since, we got an absolute dud in response this week. LA Knight did a promo from his pool mocking Grimes for caring more about the “old man” than the fortune and fame.
Sadly Grimes got even less than this. He had a vignette outside the Performance Center handing out hundred dollar bills to well wishers, until someone made the mistake of asking him if “Grandpa Ted” was okay. Grimes promptly decked the doofus and made it rain. I would have preferred him to have had a match with whatever trainee this was, but alas it was not meant to be. This was easily the biggest misfire of an otherwise well done show.

Ever-Rise vs. Hit Row
The pre-pre-pre show feud you didn’t even know about spills over onto NXT tonight. Ever-Rise wants to get revenge on Hit Row for destroying their set from Takeover, but the Suge Knight inspired faction led by Isaiah “Swerve” Scott is not the merciful type. If you don’t know, now you know. And if you needed two men to be killed by Tha Row, here you go.
This was a full on squash and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. Ever-Rise are geeks while Hit Row are going places as a faction. Back to the pre-pre-pre show for Martel and Parker. Top Dolla made sure that from now on Ever-Rise will put some respect on his name.

Io Shirai & Zoey Stark vs. Aliyah & Jessi Kamea
"I respecct you but I don't like you"
I quickly got the feeling during this match as to why Aliyah & Jessi Kamea are often relegated to dark matches and backstage segments. Kamea in particular made Zoey Stark look out of place on every spot, and even though Stark has had her weak moments at times, none looked quite as bad as this — so I blame Kamea. When Kamea dropped an elbow I was worried she was going to accidentally crush Stark’s throat. As if things weren’t already messy enough, tag team champions Candice LeRae & Indi Hartwell arrived to watch.
Team Respect eventually won when Shirai hit a moonsault on Kamea for the pin. This led almost immediately to Raquel González & Dakota Kai arriving to tell everyone that they’re the number one contenders to The Way, and everybody else can get to stepping. Naturally this led to Ember Moon & Shotzi Blackheart coming out too and saying they beat González and Blackheart but they seem to have forgotten, and Blackheart suggested a reminder via ass kicking! This led to a brawl between all parties in the ring until Samoa Joe arrived and sent an army’s worth of security people in to break it up. It’s a measure of his enforcer role that these blackshirts were effective. Maybe he put them through two-a-days!

The Way defeated Pete Dunne and Oney Lorcan
This match was set up earlier in the evening when The Way came down to the ring to cut a promo about how the new NXT needed a new champion, and not a scary doomsday muscle head, but a headband wearing family man — Gargano naturally. Pete Dunne and Oney Lorcan arrived to dispute this idea, and Gargano tried to “show respect” to Samoa Joe and William Regal by not being goaded into a fight. As The Way left though, Theory put his fingers in Pete Dunne’s face. Big mistake! Dunne immediately snapped them. After trying to suck up to William Regal in his office to make Dunne & Lorcan pay for their misdeeds, Regal said they could have a tag team match instead.
This impromptu tag team match was everything the women’s tag wasn’t. Nobody was out of position, every move looked crisp, and Dunne was his usual vicious self — taking off the tape to manipulate Theory’s fingers even more. Gargano kept making the save when needed, but Theory used his feet as a weapon and his body as a missile when his arm and hand couldn’t do the work, so he saved Gargano several times too. The NeXTras rallied behind The Way despite their often times heel behavior, simply because they like Johnny Wrestling more than The Bruiserweight, and they erupted in enthusiasm when he hit Lorcan with One Final Beat for the pin. Unfortunately The Way didn’t have long to celebrate as Karrion Kross immediately laid Gargano out. Any other night this would’ve been a main event worthy match. It over-delivered for the slot it was put in.

What else do you need to know?
Multiple matches were booked for future programs last night. After Mercedes Martinez was offered a mixed tag match against Boa and Xia Li, the Tian Sha faction jumped her during a backstage interview, before Jake Atlas rushed in to even the odds and make himself her partner for the fight next Tuesday.

We’ve also got a women’s tag team triple threat on deck — Ember Moon & Shotzi Blackheart, Zoey Stark & Io Shirai, and Raquel González & Dakota Kai. The winner of the match is the new number one contender to face The Way at Great American Bash. A “face to face” meeting between men’s champions MSK and their own top contenders Timothy Thatcher & Tommaso Ciampa was announced at the same time.

The mysterious charging battery got all the way to 51%. Woo-hoo.

Grade: A-
Compared to a week ago I felt like this show had higher highs and lower lows, yet in the end I would say it evened out to the same grade because of good booking and great angles. Paying off the Diamond Mine with the return of Roderick Strong was a stellar move. Giving Jake Atlas more to do on the show this week and next week was a stellar move. Carmelo Hayes is the rookie of the year so far in NXT. The opener and closer were both awesome, Gargano & Theory were babyfaces for me and the live crowd, and if they parade out people for Franky Money and Hit Row to squash every week, I’m down with it. Had they not dropped the ball on Cameron Grimes this week I would have gone up to an A+, but with how bad Jessi Kamea & Aliyah were, I can’t go higher than A-. That’s a wrap folks.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Nezzjnr: 7:33am On Jun 26, 2021
Guess who's back

Reigns you have to watch your back

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:37am On Jun 26, 2021
WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

R-rated
Once again, a multi-layered story carried us throughout the show.
And it ended with a big surprise.
Jimmy Uso walked up to Roman Reigns and had to tell the Head of the Table that Main Event Jey Uso said he’s not showing up anymore.
But Jimmy said that he would fill in because he wants to represent the family too. Now, he also said he’s not anyone’s bitch, but we’ll see this tune and how it plays out. Reigns laughed in his face and said that he’d have top prove that he can be Main Event Jimmy Uso.
Paul Heyman made the match between him and Dolph Ziggler, which I touch on on its own later.
Spoiler alert for that match - Jimmy won. And he went to the back and was super happy that he proved himself. Reigns smiled and walked off to address the state of the Universal Championship. Heyman told Jimmy to hang back.
Heyman listed off all of Reigns’ opponents (even mentioning the Fiend and Braun Strowman) but interestingly left out Jey Uso. Heyman said that there was no one left.
And just when the Tribal Chief was about to make his big announcement, “You think you know me.” A big bushy bearded Edge walked down the ramp and attacked Reigns. He was about to give him the conchairto, and Mr. “Ain’t Nobody’s Bitch” made the save for his cousin. Edge speared him through the barricade.
Now, here’s where this gets really interesting. After Seth Rollins and Bayley had their match (also talked about later) Rollins went to Adam Pearce and Sonya Deville and said that he is the next opponent for Reigns.
Sooooo what does this mean now? Rollins wants in, but Edge is back earlier than I believe he was announced for. My dream Edge scenario for SummerSlam was actually him and Rollins. This would be a great way to build to that!

King’s coronation
My goodness did Shinsuke Nakamura look like royalty in that white gear.
Rick Boogs and Pat McAfee were the best supporting actors for this segment. McAfee is a national treasure, really. The water part was a nice touch
Boogs played the music the entire time and he, King Nakamura, and McAfee jammed out. Then we went to the back and King Baron Corbin was sulking like a child who got his Playstation taken away. He asked Kayla Braxton what the point was anymore and walked off.
It’s nice that they didn’t just have Corbin attack Nakamura similar to when he was feuding with Chad Gable (this was right before the Shorty G moniker). A somewhat sympathetic Corbin was not one I expected.
Truthfully, I have always wondered what a face turn for him would be like. I would like to see it.

To qualify or not to qualify
This was an interesting segment.
Right before this, Sami Zayn went to Adam Pearce and demanded to be put into the Money in the Bank match and Pearce said he had to qualify by beating someone he beat already.
Then Sonya Deville came to the ring and announced Carmella as an entrant into the women’s match. No qualifying match for her.
And then Liv Morgan came out and reminded us that she actually beat Carmella last week, so why does declaring yourself as beautiful give you opportunities?
So, just like Zayn, Morgan had to beat someone she beat already in order to qualify. But Kevin Owens didn’t get inserted into the match. All of this is likely because there aren’t that many women on the main roster right now.
Morgan won this match, so you’d expect that this means that she will be in the Money in the Bank match. I mean it’s likely most, if not all, of the main roster women will be in the match, except the Raw and SmackDown women’s champions and their challengers for the pay-per-view.

The Rest
Jimmy Uso defeated Dolph Ziggler
This match got a nice chunk of time, and featured quite a nasty Zig Zag onto the steel steps. I thought Jimmy was going to be really injured from it but thankfully he is okay. Ziggler was in control and Jimmy took Ziggler out of the ring, also taking out Robert Roode. Ziggler hit a good Zig Zag and I thought it was over, but Jimmy kicked out. Jimmy caught him on the Fameasser and hit the superkick to win. Gave Jimmy a great win to further the Reigns saga.

Big E defeated Apollo Crews
This was a really good match. I realize I’ve probably hounded WWE on the repetition of this feud, but just like Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn (which we will see next week as a Last Man Standing Match!) these men do have good in ring chemistry. No Nigerian Nail this time because the referee saw the interference and threw him out, so I saw E winning here. That’s good. I would pick him to be the winner of the Money in the Bank briefcase this year.

Bayley and Seth Rollins defeated Bianca Belair and Cesaro
Rollins and Belair had a fun back and forth before the match, and she used Cesaro as a jumping point to take out Bayley. While I normally shit on the mixed tag feuds thing, this one actually made sense, as did the finish. Yes, the champion was pinned, but at least it was off of Seth bumping into her and Bayley took advantage.

Grade B-

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 11:36am On Jun 26, 2021
I'm afraid I have some bad news. The following have been released by wwe:
-Killian Dain
- August Grey
- Tino Sabbatelli
- Marina Shafir
- Arturo Ruas
- Curt Stallion
- Fandango
- Tyler Breeze
- Ever-Rise (Chase Parker, Matt Martel)
- Tony Nese
- Ariya Daivari
- The Bollywood Boyz (Sunil Singh, Samir Singh).
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 2:05pm On Jun 26, 2021
samistry:
I'm afraid I have some bad news. The following have been released by wwe:
-Killian Dain
- August Grey
- Tino Sabbatelli
- Marina Shafir
- Arturo Ruas
- Curt Stallion
- Fandango
- Tyler Breeze
- Ever-Rise (Chase Parker, Matt Martel)
- Tony Nese
- Ariya Daivari
- The Bollywood Boyz (Sunil Singh, Samir Singh).

I heard it was Nick Khan that did this one not Vince...I don't understand what's going on in that company
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:40am On Jun 29, 2021
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Well, Kofi Kingston and MVP did it.
For the first time since WrestleMania, I am invested in the WWE championship.
Kingston came out without his brother by his side and said that he’s not sure how last week has effected him yet, because hearing Xavier Woods screaming in pain and couldn’t do anything. He put Woods over and said people need to start respecting him.
MVP came out and said Kingston beating Bobby Lashley would be ridiculous. The Booty-Os and pancakes were ridiculous and made him say some ridiculous things. He called this a David and Goliath story similar to the Brock Lesnar match, and Lashley would make that match look like child’s play.
Then Kingston said that Lashley is getting soft and distracted with vacations and women and every week, more All Mighty gets stripped away from him. His eyes are off the prize, and Kingston will take it from him.
He then called out MVP’s knee injury and said he’s milking it for all its worth and got MVP to shake that injury off. But it was Kingston knocking him down and God this was all so great.
I’m fully invested in this storyline and while I’m nearly certain Lashley will retain, it’s going to be a great ride to Money in the Bank.

Riddle is Orton
The show started with Adam Pearce and Sonya Deville informing us that Randy Orton would not be participating in the triple threat match to determine the last entrant on Raw’s side for Money in the Bank. So Riddle walked up with a “note” from Orton and said that he wanted Riddle to take his place in the triple threat.
It was obviously a fake note in green marker with a snake drawn on the bottom and absolutely hilarious. Legitimately one of the best openings to Raw this year.
Pearce and Deville decided that they’d put him in the battle royal and he scooted out.
The final two were Riddle and Damian Priest, and I would be lying if I didn’t say I kind of wanted Priest to win. But we all knew what the result was going to be. And I’m okay with that because they had a really good back and forth before Riddle ultimately eliminated Priest.
Riddle’s music played and he ran out of the ring and told them to play Orton’s music instead, and he went up on the turnbuckle and posed Orton-style.
And then that hilarious moment when he got settled by the pyro
I thought that after trying to become Orton, Riddle would come down to Voices, but that didn’t happen. Drew McIntyre launched both AJ Styles and Riddle across the ring. Styles and Riddle worked together to but McIntyre through the announce table.
Riddle went to “that place” and did the draping DDT to Styles, but Styles countered the RKO attempt. McIntyre woke up and then got violent with Riddle. Styles locked in a Calf Crusher and Riddle limped back to the ring after being taken out and did a Bro-mission to break that up.
He did the RKO to Styles and finally, Omos interfered. But Riddle turned into the Claymore Kick and Drew is going to Money in the Bank. I mean Riddle will be there too. Not as Orton, but as Riddle. There will be many moments where Drew climbs the ladder and it looks like he’s about to win, and I really hope that’s not the direction WWE goes in.
Drew needs to be out of the main title picture for a while. Give the briefcase to Big E. Drew should be facing Sheamus for the US title. He’ll do good stuff with that for a while.
This show really was all about Riddle showing that he believes in his RKBro team with RANDY. He really trusts and respects RANDY and it’s really a great thing. I wonder if RANDY plays a role in the ladder match. Maybe the official turn? Gosh I hope not. Don’t be a douchebag, RANDY.

DouDrop is good
I really hate how much I fell in line as a typical Twitter wrestling fan when this pairing was announced.
Usually I don’t like these repetitive matches but this one I have made an exception for. Because they are really doing this right. Didn’t think they had it in them.
DouDrop defied Eva Marie last week and Marie was giving her redemption by running back the same match.
Well, if you haven’t paid attention to WWE booking before, you already knew where this was going before we got there. Of course this time, Marie decided she was going to abandon DouDrop to teach her a lesson.
But to all of our collective surprise, DouDrop pinned Asuka and won the match anyway!
What I really like about all of this is Niven’s contempt with this. It’s almost like she was forced into this partnership and you can tell she kind of already wants out, making faces behind Eva and walking out on her last week.
But she’s sticking around because she’s on Raw. It’s smart, and when Niven and Eva break up in front of a crowd, it’s going to be one hell of a moment for them.

Wow
I absolutely love when I get to feature something random that absolutely popped me.
This match was really great. Even Miz had to put over how much these two work well on commentary. I don’t know what it is about wheelchair Miz, but he’s hitting with me. Really enhancing segments and not being unbelievably dull and grating.
Ricochet used the wheelchair to launch himself over Miz and do a hurricanrana. An excellent leg sweep by Morrison and excellent fireman’s carry by Ricochet. Ricochet rolled out of Morrison’s finisher and knocked Morrison off the apron.
And then one of the most INSANE things I have seen in my time watching WWE.
Holy shit!!
I... wow. There was a count out, but, I mean my God how could anyone recover from that in time? That’s the type of move that leads to a very believable count out.
I need more. Bordering on “fight forever” status with me.

The Rest
Charlotte Flair, Natalya, and Tamina defeated Rhea Ripley, Mandy, and Dana
They started the all brawling with each other, which I liked since it sold the hatred between the women. I’m a person that doesn’t mind a brawl before a match because it looks more believable. Carrying it throughout the match was also a nice touch. Ripley missing that Nattie tagged out was a miss here but I didn’t think it took too much away from this. While most of these storylines have been not treated very well, I thought they did a good job here.

Nikki Cross (or... ASH) defeated Shayna Baszler
Almost a Super Hero was Nikki Cross’ new way of life in her promo before the match. Alexa Bliss came out midway and Cross dove onto all the heels to send it to a commercial break. Bliss tried mind control on Nia Jax and Reginald and then kicked them both. Apparently that was too much of a distraction for Baszler. We’ll see how this ASH thing goes, but I’m still skeptical. Not happy with Shayna continuing to lose over and over.

Jaxson Ryker defeated Elias
Elias went right on the attack as soon as the bell rang and he used the strap to his advantage. He hit Ryker with a knee and I thought it was over. Ryker finally slapped Elias with the strap and pinned Elias to win. Ryker will never be a babyface to me and I’m interested in seeing the live crowd reaction to this.

Incredibly, we had another good Monday night. Two weeks in a row! Let’s keep it going!
Grade: B+

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 5:25pm On Jun 29, 2021
I've been saying it with Kofi for a while now. People need to start putting respect on Xavier Woods' name.

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:49pm On Jun 29, 2021
Kaycee7:
I've been saying it with Kofi for a while now. People need to start putting respect on Xavier Woods' name.

unrelated...but why does Kofi have tiny legs and a flat chest?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 7:07am On Jun 30, 2021
pu7pl3:

unrelated...but why does Kofi have tiny legs and a flat chest?
About his chest, his pectoral muscles are connected to the sides of his sternum, instead of the center as is with almost everyone else. Couldn't find anything on his legs, maybe he's just been skipping leg day grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 9:39am On Jun 30, 2021
The Way don miss road

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 9:41am On Jun 30, 2021
Oh yeah! Like say Sarree dey this NXT sef

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:53am On Jun 30, 2021
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Bronson Reed vs. Isaiah “Swerve” Scott
This was last night’s last minute addition to the card and subsequently the main event. It started out with a promo alerting us the NXT Breakout Tournament returns in two weeks.
Who will be next to BREAK OUT?
Reed was interviewed by McKenzie Mitchell about the tournament’s return. He said that tournament put him on the map and elevated him to being North American champion. Scott (and Hit Row) interrupted to remind him that he was in that tournament too, and told Reed if he’s really the champion he claims to be he’d put the title on the line in a match tonight. It’s as simple as that right? Well because this is NXT and not UFC, yes, yes it is.
In the early going Scott was no match for the size and power of Reed, but he stayed in the fight through the overrun until Hit Row could finally even the odds on his behalf. Reed tried to go to the top rope for a Tsunami and Adonis yanked him off the apron.
An enraged Reed destroyed the plexiglass at ringside by throwing Top Dolla through it, then throwing Adonis on top of him for good measure, but Scott kicked him in the head as he tried to get back in the ring and quickly followed up with a 450 for the pin. New champion!
After the feud with Leon Ruff ended and the Hit Row faction was formed, I was convinced that his time had finally come — and this result validates that feeling. This is not bad news for Bronson Reed. Considering he’s been getting dark matches before WWE TV shows for the top executives, he’s likely getting a call up very shortly, which if you’ll look back through previous recaps is something I predicted given both his size and agility. He’s exactly the kind of monster Vince McMahon loves so he’ll be fine on USA or FOX. In the meantime, it’s Swerve’s time.

Diamond Mine is open for business
In a surprising turn of events right as NXT was about to go off the air, Diamond Mine arrived and laid waste to KUSHIDA. The new faction consists of manager Malcolm Bivens, his protege Tyler Rust, former Undisputed Era member Roderick Strong, and catch wrestling trained shooter Hideki Suzuki. Their actions made it immediately clear they intend to be a powerhouse faction on the NXT roster.
How would they follow up on this vicious assault? Did they have their eyes on the cruiserweight title KUSHIDA holds, or was he just a victim to send a message to the rest of the locker room? Well they found another victim this week as Roderick Strong was sent to the ring for a match with Asher Hale. Let’s make a long story short here — Strong tapped him out with a submission, and was so determined he tried to apply another submission after the bell. Malcolm Bivens said that the Diamond Mine is “open for business” and business is definitely good. I hope this faction lasts longer than The Hurt Business did.

Triple threat tag team insanity
The ring couldn’t contain the brawl between the women’s tag team division last week. This week Ember Moon & Shotzi Blackheart vs. Raquel González & Dakota Kai vs. Zoey Stark & Io Shirai would settle which duo among them was the true number one contenders for Indi Hartwell and Candice LeRae and their tag team titles at Great American Bash on July 6th.
This match led off the show and the entrances were almost the only thing that wasn’t totally chaotic. The period of calm in this storm was the picture in picture during commercial and the few minutes after we came back from break, but before long all six women were in the ring fighting again. The only ones to get the upper hand were Stark and Shirai, with the latter hitting her patented moonsault not once but twice, the second time using it to pin Dakota Kai and claim number one contender status for her team. How does one say they both enjoyed something and thought it was way too frenzied? Any two of these teams would’ve been a fine match, but there was barely enough time for all three to get their stuff in. The right team won though as we need something for Shirai to do if she’s not going after the women’s title, and it’s a sign of the faith WWE has in Stark to pair the two together for a match with The Way next week. I don’t even need it to be a title change at the Bash, just a damn good tag team match, and I’m reasonably sure it will be.
The entire CWC is on their feet!

The return of Mixed Match Challenge?
Not exactly. NXT airs on USA Network and not Facebook, but a little of that feeling was in the air last night as Mercedes Martinez & Jake Atlas took on Xia Li & Boa. The Tian Sha faction has been trying to put Martinez out of action, but after Atlas came to her rescue last week, the match was made official for television seven days later.
These four competitors could barely wait for the opening bell to go after each other. Mei Ying watched from the throne at the top of the ramp as Xia Li got taken apart by Mercedes Martinez before the commercial. If the match could have stopped there it would have been best for all involved, because when Mei Ying somehow caused a distraction to Martinez just by sitting there, Li attacked her from behind and threw her back into the ring for a roundhouse kick. Martinez got her shoulder up before the pin but the ref called for the bell. The cameras refused to show Martinez being attended to, so it’s very likely that Martinez got a legitimate concussion. If they’re faking it for a heat angle it’s in very poor taste and I’m not a fan of it. I’m not satisfied with the conclusion of this match, but they’ll try to convince us that this is how it was meant to be all along.

Cameron Grimes heads to the ring (then the moon)
My biggest gripe last week was that neither Cameron Grimes nor LA Knight had any in ring action, let alone any interaction with each other. Instead we got Knight cutting a promo from his luxurious estate while Grimes beat up some random jabroni in the NXT parking lot who made the mistake of calling the Million Dollar Man “Grandpa Ted.”
This week though we were promised Cameron Grimes in action, in the ring, hopefully with a chance to show LA Knight that his disrespectful words and actions would soon be met with violent retribution at Great American Bash. He’d get that retribution in the form of a singles match with Ari Sterling, the same man who called DiBiase “Grandpa Ted” last week. Grimes hit the Cave In and pinned him, only to have Knight come out and mock both him and the Million Dollar Man. He says he’s beyond DiBiase because he’s the “Million Dollar Mega Star” and offers Grimes this proposition — beat me at the Great American Bash and you get the belt, but lose and you become my personal butler. Naturally Grimes accepts.
I think we all know where this is going, but to be perfectly clear, Cameron Grime is losing at the Bash. This is not a bad thing. The comedy of Grimes being forced to be LA Knight’s butler is going to be some of the most fun segments on NXT week after week, because the natural heel cockiness of Knight and the natural comedic timing of Grimes are as well met as any combination on this show. On top of that it’s simply too soon for Grimes to get his big redemption win. Having him be humiliated by his “boss” for week after week is only going to make people want Grimes to come out on top even more. You could take this program all the way to SummerSlam weekend easily.

A face off before the Bash
The grizzled old veterans Tommaso Ciampa & Timothy Thatcher were announced for a face to face meeting with tag team champions MSK last night. You could hardly have gone into the show thinking that these two sides would leave their last encounter before the Bash at just words.
The short version is that all four men came down to the ring with chairs — and sat in them (at first). Ciampa told MSK that nobody is more hungry than “Toothless Timmy” and he smiled to show off the gap. Eventually Nash Carter and Wes Lee demanded respect and threw a slap to get it. Ciampa said you get a free one this week, but next week we take your pride +and+ your titles. This was a fun and effective segment building up the title match at the Bash.

Sneaky Papa John
Johnny Gargano decided to prove that anything Karrion Kross could do, he could do better, repaying the favor from last week when Kross wiped him out. Gargano plowed him into a garage door backstage before a break, and an irate Kross stormed down to the ring after said same to call him out. Gargano responded and said he’s not only a better wrestler than Kross, he’s smarter too, and to prove his point Austin Theory jumped Kross from behind. Kross eventually got control of the situation, beating both men up 1-on-2, smashing Papa John into the plexiglass repeatedly, then tearing apart the steel steps to do something very nasty. Blackshirt security arrived to stop him, and Gargano hit him with a superkick while he was being held back. Samoa Joe got in Kross’ face and stopped him from retaliating further.
Well if you weren’t already hyped for Gargano facing Kross at the Bash, this segment certainly should have been the icing on the cake. Here’s what intrigues me the most — WWE has repeatedly had Karrion Kross working dark matches with the main roster over the last few weeks. If Vince McMahon is that desperate for a new “big man” on Raw or SmackDown, is it actually possible that he could drop the title to Gargano in advance of a call up? I’m now salivating to see if Johnny Wrestling can get the NXT championship back.

Cole and O’Reilly have words (again)
You just can’t keep Adam Cole and Kyle O’Reilly apart for very long. Short version follows: Cole thinks O’Reilly has been riding his coat tails for four years, O’Reilly thinks Cole is a piece of human garbage and is disgusted to have been in a faction of any kind with him. Before the two could come to blows, Samoa Joe stepped between them and said “not now.” Cole deliberately ignored Joe’s instructions and charged. Joe ducked him, O’Reilly took him down and put on a leg lock, and Cole screamed at Joe that he should get O’Reilly off him. Joe stood there with a smug look on his face and did nothing about it.
When Joe had finally seen enough he calmly stepped out of the ring and sent in the security team. It’s one thing to be an authority figure on a wrestling show, it’s another to be the kind that fans actually approve of. It’s far too rare especially in WWE that a general manager or an enforcer sees to it that heels get their just desserts. This just makes me smile. I don’t know who is winning next week at the Bash, but I can’t wait to see it.

Two more things
The cell phone battery got up to 71% this week for those keeping track, and Sarray demanded a match with Toni Storm, which William Regal said he’d take into consideration.

Grade: B+
I think most of you who follow my work now know me well enough to know I’m not a fan of the “talk heavy” editions of NXT, so it may surprise you that I enjoyed this one as much as I did. I would have given this an A- were it not for Mercedes Martinez being legitimately injured. That kind of sloppy accident should never happen. Someone’s probably going to point out that it’s “not ballet” in response but I always though that was a stupid saying. Have you ever seen the amount of physical training ballet dancers do? The amount of injuries they work through and overcome? Ballet is just as hard and on occasion more dangerous. In fact it has more in common with wrestling than not given you have to have complete trust in the people who pick you up to put you down safely. If Xia Li can’t work safely with a veteran like Mercedes Martinez then she is nowhere near ready to move beyond this level

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:15am On Jun 30, 2021
Kaycee7:
About his chest, his pectoral muscles are connected to the sides of his sternum, instead of the center as is with almost everyone else. Couldn't find anything on his legs, maybe he's just been skipping leg day grin

So he is a mutant?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 11:20am On Jun 30, 2021
pu7pl3:

So he is a mutant?
Or an alien

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 11:34am On Jun 30, 2021

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 6:30pm On Jul 01, 2021
I have heard people complaining that kross is a poor fit for nxt and better suited for the main roster. After that poor selling of the car door attack, If he wants to succeed on main roster. He needs to sell better. Heck even Brock knows when to act injured.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:14pm On Jul 01, 2021
samistry:
I have heard people complaining that kross is a poor fit for nxt and better suited for the main roster. After that poor selling of the car door attack, If he wants to succeed on main roster. He needs to sell better. Heck even Brock knows when to act injured.

He has been having dark matches in front of Vince...there is always room for improvement
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 7:31pm On Jul 01, 2021
A kobo for your thoughts

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:32pm On Jul 01, 2021
Kaycee7:
A kobo for your thoughts

They already won the polls cheesy grin

They definitely are

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (204) (205) (206) (207) (208) (209) (210) ... (298) (Reply)

Cuando Seas Mia: 'When You Are Mine' / ARROW and THE FLASH fan page....... / Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.