Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,119 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:29 AM

Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House - TV/Movies (218) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House (289557 Views)

Games Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon Official Discussion Thread / Nigerians Storm Gotv Facebook Page Over WWE / Rachel Johnson Goes Topless On Live TV Show During Brexit Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) ... (298) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 11:51am On Aug 14, 2021
Its Friday night and we now know what that means, not SmackDown but AEW Rampage and yesterday was it's premier episode on TNT Drama.

What transpired?

First off it was an hour and I can't write it's history right here. It'll be too much work for me so I suggest you Google it.

It started with the Orange lightening setting as advertised weeks ago with the voices of Excalibur, Taz, Chris Jericho and Mark Henry all on commentary. Mark is also served as backstage reporter for the show.

The Line up:

'The work horse' Christian Cage vs 'The belt collector' Kenny Omega for the Impact and TNA world title in the kickoff.

The most over extra in professional wrestling at the moment Fuego Del Sol vs 'The Redeemer' and TNT champion Miro.
If Feugo wins he gets a contract with AEW.

The main event:
AEW women's world champion Dr Britt Baker DMD vs Red Velvet for the AEW women's world title.

Christian's music hits, the pyro is up in the air and he walks out with so much swagger, takes his time(as always) and enters the ring to the cheers of the Pittsburg fans as he gets set for the biggest match of his career.

Omega's music hits. The arrogant champion comes out with all his collection and Callis by his side to fuel his ego even more.
He takes his time and finally he is in the ring with Christian with the aim of making the legend fall victim as others have.
The tension is in the air and I must mention that AEW and Impact did a pretty decent job in building this. It felt huge and PPV worthy.
You guys would pardon me I'm not good at writing on matches.
They have a stare down. The crowd is electric.
And match begins.
It was a great to be honest and the commentary did a great job.
The legend Christian was able to counter Kenny's 'smart' offences with his wisdom and experience. You could tell he studied Kenny well before the match. At some point he was able to get a mental advantage over Omega with the FU sign to Kenny as the payoff to a mind blown reception from the audience in attendance.
After Kenny couldn't get the job done over and over again, Don Callis, his corperate stooge thought it was wise to confront the Ref about it and get him distracted to allow Kenny signal the Young bucks to bring in a chair as a weapon. It would have all ended for Christian if Kenny had successfully hit the one-winged angel unto the unfolded chair but again the wisdom and experience paid off as Christian Cage was able to counter into a Killswitch unto the chair to win this match.
Christian shocked the world and the fans loved it.
I screamed a bit when this happened.
Impact wrestling's EVP Scott Damore and 'The Jurassic Express' Jungle Boy and Luchassurus came out to celebrate with Christian.
Christian does a backstage interview with Mark Henry as he celebrates with his friends, bottles of wine in hand, Orange Cassidy in the background and with the TNA and Impact titles on his shoulders.

The Take Away

I can't give scores. I'm not an expert like Pu7pl3, but I'll say the match was great. It had everything a wrestling match needed for beginning to end. Emotions, moves and story telling. It's a history making match.
Kenny shined with his moves, signature moves and energy. He played a great heel too.
Christian shocked the world. He proved he could still go and he is the true work horse of pro wrestling today. His experience played out well here.

NEXT

A vignette is shown for Feugo and Miro's match.

Fuego comes out to a great reaction from the fans in attendance, as usual.
Miro comes out intimidating and not smiling, as usual also.

Fuego starts the match by going head on to Miro and successfully hits 3 tornado DDTs with one sending Miro to the floor, for an unsuccessful pin anyway.
Miro ends the match with a kick, a slam and his signature submission move to Fuego as he taps.
The dream is over for Fuego as Miro tears up the contract...or is it?
Sammy Guevara comes out with his music and Tony Khan hands him something that looks like a contract paper.
He walks towards the ring with the contract in his hand and a mic in the other pointed towards his mouth. Fuego gets to hear the truth about how he's is loved by the AEW fans despite his 1 win in like 50 matches. It was only appropriate for Sammy(his best friend) to have been the one to hand him the contract and say "Fuego is ALL ELITE".
They embrace. It's an emotional moment for the 2 and the fans are into it too. Fuego has finally signed with AEW.
I'm happy.

The Take Away

The match was short but instrumental in story telling. Fuego has come a long way and everyone is happy he is finally signed with them.
Miro played a great heel as usual and pretty intimidating. Who can stop him?

AEW Dynamite matches are announced for Next Week.

A promo for next week's AEW Rampage 'The First Dance' is shown with the Darby Allin's 'CM Punk best in the world' tease broadcasted with the day and city announced also.

The Final Match. The Main Event.

A short video interview hosted by Mark Henry between AEW Women's champion Britt Baker and challenger Red Velvet is shown.

Now to the match.

Both women come out for the match.
Red looks good on Velvet but she's in enemy territory.
Baker come out accompanied by Reba to the pyro. The orange towels up and in the air as she receives a hero's welcome in her hometown.
The match itself was another good one for the night.
The champion applied the lockjaw twice to 2 failed attempts, in-between them was a similar attempt by the Challenger who couldn't successfully put her hands into the champion's mouth to lock the move, but 3 times they say is a charm, the champ was successful in her 3rd trial as the challenger tapped to have Baker secure her title.
The highlight of the match came when Britt was about to curb stomp Velvet's head unto her title belt but was saved by Kris Statlander, the latter who was blind sided by a returning female wrestler(can't remember her name) who is now in partnership with Baker to end the premier episode of AEW Rampage, with the heels standing tall.

The Take Away

The match was good.
Velvet is great I can tell you, it's just unfortunate she wasn't given a friendly welcome. She even got booed at some instance during the match.
Baker is the best female heel in the business today.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 11:52am On Aug 14, 2021
Corbin:
grin

Last week coupe De Grace this week stunner, I wonder what's in store for you next week grin grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 12:01pm On Aug 14, 2021
ValeeLove:
Its Friday night and we now know what that means, not SmackDown but AEW Rampage and yesterday was it's premier episode on TNT Drama.

What transpired?

First off it was an hour and I can't write it's history right here. It'll be too much work for me so I suggest you Google it.

It started with the Orange lightening setting as advertised weeks ago with the voices of Excalibur, Taz, Chris Jericho and Mark Henry all on commentary. Mark is also served as backstage reporter for the show.

The Line up:

'The work horse' Christian Cage vs 'The belt collector' Kenny Omega for the Impact and TNA world title in the kickoff.

The most over extra in professional wrestling at the moment Fuego Del Sol vs 'The Redeemer' and TNT champion Miro.
If Feugo wins he gets a contract with AEW.

The main event:
AEW women's world champion Dr Britt Baker DMD vs Red Velvet for the AEW women's world title.

Christian's music hits, the pyro is up in the air and he walks out with so much swagger, takes his time(as always) and enters the ring to the cheers of the Pittsburg fans as he gets set for the biggest match of his career.

Omega's music hits. The arrogant champion comes out with all his collection and Callis by his side to fuel his ego even more.
He takes his time and finally he is in the ring with Christian with the aim of making the legend fall victim as others have.
The tension is in the air and I must mention that AEW and Impact did a pretty decent job in building this. It felt huge and PPV worthy.
You guys would pardon me I'm not good at writing on matches.
They have a stare down. The crowd is electric.
And match begins.
It was a great to be honest and the commentary did a great job.
The legend Christian was able to counter Kenny's 'smart' offences with his wisdom and experience. You could tell he studied Kenny well before the match. At some point he was able to get a mental advantage over Omega with the FU sign to Kenny as the payoff to a mind blown reception from the audience in attendance.
After Kenny couldn't get the job done over and over again, Don Callis, his corperate stooge thought it was wise to confront the Ref about it and get him distracted to allow Kenny signal the Young bucks to bring in a chair as a weapon. It would have all ended for Christian if Kenny had successfully hit the one-winged angel unto the unfolded chair but again the wisdom and experience paid off as Christian Cage was able to counter into a Killswitch unto the chair to win this match.
Christian shocked the world and the fans loved it.
I screamed a bit when this happened.
Impact wrestling's EVP Scott Damore and 'The Jurassic Express' Jungle Boy and Luchassurus came out to celebrate with Christian.
Christian does a backstage interview with Mark Henry as he celebrates with his friends, bottles of wine in hand, Orange Cassidy in the background and with the TNA and Impact titles on his shoulders.

The Take Away

I can't give scores. I'm not an expert like Pu7pl3, but I'll say the match was great. It had everything a wrestling match needed for beginning to end. Emotions, moves and story telling. It's a history making match.
Kenny shined with his moves, signature moves and energy. He played a great heel too.
Christian shocked the world. He proved he could still go and he is the true work horse of pro wrestling today. His experience played out well here.

NEXT

A vignette is shown for Feugo and Miro's match.

Fuego comes out to a great reaction from the fans in attendance, as usual.
Miro comes out intimidating and not smiling, as usual also.

Fuego starts the match by going head on to Miro and successfully hits 3 tornado DDTs with one sending Miro to the floor, for an unsuccessful pin anyway.
Miro ends the match with a kick, a slam and his signature submission move to Fuego as he taps.
The dream is over for Fuego as Miro tears up the contract...or is it?
Sammy Guevara comes out with his music and Tony Khan hands him something that looks like a contract paper.
He walks towards the ring with the contract in his hand and a mic in the other pointed towards his mouth. Fuego gets to hear the truth about how he's is loved by the AEW fans despite his 1 win in like 50 matches. It was only appropriate for Sammy(his best friend) to have been the one to hand him the contract and say "Fuego is ALL ELITE".
They embrace. It's an emotional moment for the 2 and the fans are into it too. Fuego has finally signed with AEW.
I'm happy.

The Take Away

The match was short but instrumental in story telling. Fuego has come a long way and everyone is happy he is finally signed with them.
Miro played a great heel as usual and pretty intimidating. Who can stop him?

AEW Dynamite matches are announced for Next Week.

A promo for next week's AEW Rampage 'The First Dance' is shown with the Darby Allin's 'CM Punk best in the world' tease broadcasted with the day and city announced also.

The Final Match. The Main Event.

A short video interview hosted by Mark Henry between AEW Women's champion Britt Baker and challenger Red Velvet is shown.

Now to the match.

Both women come out for the match.
Red looks good on Velvet but she's in enemy territory.
Baker come out accompanied by Reba to the pyro. The orange towels up and in the air as she receives a hero's welcome in her hometown.
The match itself was another good one for the night.
The champion applied the lockjaw twice to 2 failed attempts, in-between them was a similar attempt by the Challenger who couldn't successfully put her hands into the champion's mouth to lock the move, but 3 times they say is a charm, the champ was successful in her 3rd trial as the challenger tapped to have Baker secure her title.
The highlight of the match came when Britt was about to curb stomp Velvet's head unto her title belt but was saved by Kris Statlander, the latter who was blind sided by a returning female wrestler(can't remember her name) who is now in partnership with Baker to end the premier episode of AEW Rampage, with the heels standing tall.

The Take Away

The match was good.
Velvet is great I can tell you, it's just unfortunate she wasn't given a friendly welcome. She even got booed at some instance during the match.
Baker is the best female heel in the business today.

Wow, 3 matches, 1 hour, soomuch action...they are doing well

Congrats to Christian...I always knew Rusev/Miro was destined for big things...does he still use the same Submission (the accolade)?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Corbin: 12:13pm On Aug 14, 2021
pu7pl3:

Last week coupe De Grace this week stunner, I wonder what's in store for you next week grin grin
not for me for them it will be end of days cheesy grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 12:34pm On Aug 14, 2021
pu7pl3:

Wow, 3 matches, 1 hour, soomuch action...they are doing well

Congrats to Christian...I always knew Rusev/Miro was destined for big things...does he still use the same Submission (the accolade)?
yes that's his finisher till now.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 12:56pm On Aug 14, 2021
Corbin:
not for me for them it will be end of days cheesy grin

okay o, I'm waiting
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 12:56pm On Aug 14, 2021
ValeeLove:
yes that's his finisher till now.

Nice, well-done bro, you did well
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 2:07pm On Aug 14, 2021
pu7pl3:

I think they knew but want to distance themselves from the controversy
I heard they want to remove HHH as head of NXT. Rumours have it that he's being blamed for NXT's Wednesday Night Wars loss to AEW.
So much for Vince saying WWE doesn't see AEW as competition.
This is so sad.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 2:08pm On Aug 14, 2021
pu7pl3:

Nice, well-done bro, you did well
thanks man
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 4:18pm On Aug 14, 2021
ValeeLove:
I heard they want to remove HHH as head of NXT. Rumours have it that he's being blamed for NXT's Wednesday Night Wars loss to AEW.
So much for Vince saying WWE doesn't see AEW as competition.
This is so sad.

That would be a mistake...what NXT needs to do is go back to how they used to book shows and tell stories before but it's not possible again cos now there are like X3 of the amount of talent that was there during those times...I still feel the approach they adopted was inevitable cos they kept on recruiting wrestlers...very soon AEW would get like that too and the wrestlers shining now won't get to shine anymore and people would start complaining too

I think NXT's problem is over saturation... AEW is also going that route... RAW and SMACKDOWN have been like that already
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 4:50pm On Aug 14, 2021
Happy Belated 40th to Kofi, may you keep entertaining us sir
One of the best in the world

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:02pm On Aug 15, 2021
pu7pl3:

That would be a mistake...what NXT needs to do is go back to how they used to book shows and tell stories before but it's not possible again cos now there are like X3 of the amount of talent that was there during those times...I still feel the approach they adopted was inevitable cos they kept on recruiting wrestlers...very soon AEW would get like that too and the wrestlers shining now won't get to shine anymore and people would start complaining too

I think NXT's problem is over saturation... AEW is also going that route... RAW and SMACKDOWN have been like that already
well you're right in a way, but I think NXT's major problem is that Vince doesn't believe in it and also their stars are always called up without proper replacement.
As for AEW I don't think that will be the case. Unlike WWE they actually know how to book. Their 4 shows will be able to give everyone a shining chance...fingers crossed anyway.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:20pm On Aug 15, 2021
Small news dey o...

I believe yesterday AAA held their Triplemania XXIX event and Kenny Omega defended his AAA Mega championship against Andrade along side Ric Flair, his father-inlaw.
At one point both Ric and Andrade double-teamed to chop Kenny.

WWE didn't grant Charlotte the permission to appear at the event, but she was backstage anyway to help Andrade prepare for his match and was in talks with AAA and AEW along with other female wrestlers names unknown except for Chelsea Green.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 7:50pm On Aug 15, 2021
Valeelove good job on the rampage review. You did really well. The following folks :Brian cage, matt sydal, The hybrid2, andrade havent done anything in AEW. While Britt Baker is the only star in the bleak darkness known as their women roster. This elite storyline about hugging all the titles is weighing folks down. I give them kudos though, they make good use of the roster resulting in fresh matches unlike smackdown and raw repetition ad nauseam. why can't they utilise the 24/7 roster to give us fresh matches.
ValeeLove:
well you're right in a way, but I think NXT's major problem is that Vince doesn't believe in it and also their stars are always called up without proper replacement.
As for AEW I don't think that will be the case. Unlike WWE they actually know how to book. Their 4 shows will be able to give everyone a shining chance...fingers crossed anyway.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 8:03pm On Aug 15, 2021
Sounds like I missed a good match ooooo. Wwe won't let Charlotte go now but I could see her there in the future. Will the AEW crowd boo or cheer her as overpushed. I assume Ric would have a say in her booking
ValeeLove:
Small news dey o...

I believe yesterday AAA held their Triplemania XXIX event and Kenny Omega defended his AAA Mega championship against Andrade along side Ric Flair, his father-inlaw.

WWE didn't grant Charlotte the permission to appear at the event, but she was backstage anyway to help Andrade prepare for his match and was in talks with AAA and AEW along with other female wrestlers names unknown except for Chelsea Green.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 8:10pm On Aug 15, 2021
samistry:
Laughs in Brian cage, matt sydal, The hybrid2, andrade hasn't done anything since he got there also. This elite storyline about hugging all the titles is weighing folks down. I give them kudos though, they make good use of the roster resulting in fresh matches unlike smackdown which has a relatively small roster yet same same. As for raw why can't they utilise the 24/7 roster to give us fresh matches.
all the guys you've mentioned wrestle on Dark, Dark Elevation and also appear on Dynamite if necessary. Cage is also in a feud at the moment. Everyone will get a chance to shine, it just needs proper booking. Kenny just lost a title, so it means we're passing that storyline gradually. That's what I like about AEW. They know how to book, start a story and end it when necessary, all this happening at the right pace.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 8:13pm On Aug 15, 2021
samistry:
Sounds like I missed a good match ooooo. Wwe won't let Charlotte go now but I could see her there in the future. Will the AEW crowd boo or cheer her as overpushed. I assume Ric would have a say in her booking
I think we're going to see "WWE has come to terms with the release of Charlotte Flair. We wish her the best in her future endeavours" soon.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:44pm On Aug 15, 2021
ValeeLove:

They know how to book cos they just started and they don't have half as much employees as WWE yet...just wait
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:46pm On Aug 15, 2021
ValeeLove:
Small news dey o...

don't read toomuch meaning into that one grin grin

Did Andrade win?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:48pm On Aug 15, 2021
ValeeLove:
all the guys you've mentioned wrestle on Dark, Dark Elevation and also appear on Dynamite if necessary. Cage is also in a feud at the moment. Everyone will get a chance to shine, it just needs proper booking. Kenny just lost a title, so it means we're passing that storyline gradually. That's what I like about AEW. They know how to book, start a story and end it when necessary, all this happening at the right pace.

This is NXT deja vu
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:26pm On Aug 15, 2021
pu7pl3:

Did Andrade win?
Kenny won
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:32pm On Aug 15, 2021
ValeeLove:
Kenny won

After all the moral support grin

Who was giving Kenny moral support?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:34pm On Aug 15, 2021
pu7pl3:

They know how to book cos they just started and they don't have half as much employees as WWE yet...just wait
they've been around for more than 2 years now and they still have momentum, lots of feuds untouched, matches not yet done, possibilities choke... Let's look on the bright side Pu7pl3, not everyone screws good things like WWE. Plus if Khan has any challenge booking, he can get help from almost everywhere, his wrestlers, the EVPs, the veterans, coaches and even fans. If he has to repeat matches and feuds he'll make it fresh. All these are possible because he and his management LISTEN. As we're speaking AEW already has storylines they've planned for a year and after.
Let's be positive for them. Them dey try.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:36pm On Aug 15, 2021
pu7pl3:

After all the moral support grin

Who was giving Kenny moral support?
he doesn't need it. He's the best wrestler in the world. grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:45pm On Aug 15, 2021
pu7pl3:

Did Andrade win?
just read the article again and it says Charlotte no showed a WWE program to be at Triplemania. Plus the meeting with AAA and AEW was not at Triplemania, it's at the moment and she's in Mexico for that purpose.
Toor after SummerSlam them fit fire her. They fired her dad, who is she?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:11pm On Aug 15, 2021
ValeeLove:
just read the article again and it says Charlotte no showed a WWE program to be at Triplemania. Plus the meeting with AAA and AEW was not at Triplemania, it's at the moment and she's in Mexico for that purpose.
Toor after SummerSlam them fit fire her. They fired her dad, who is she?

She is far more relevant than her dad right now if we are being honest
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:12pm On Aug 15, 2021
ValeeLove:
he doesn't need it. He's the best wrestler in the world. grin

Balor and AJ and Seth are clear grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:18pm On Aug 15, 2021
ValeeLove:
they've been around for more than 2 years now and they still have momentum, lots of feuds untouched, matches not yet done, possibilities choke... Let's look on the bright side Pu7pl3, not everyone screws good things like WWE. Plus if Khan has any challenge booking, he can get help from almost everywhere, his wrestlers, the EVPs, the veterans, coaches and even fans. If he has to repeat matches and feuds he'll make it fresh. All these are possible because he and his management LISTEN. As we're speaking AEW already has storylines they've planned for a year and after.
Let's be positive for them. Them dey try.

I'm not disputing the fact that they are doing absolutely remarkable, they are awesome..I'm just saying that the saturation would get to them soon enough too and they would definitely start doing boring WWE stuff too...the storylines they have planned for 1yr is a slippery slope cos there is no way they can see the future and write in new wrestlers they haven't signed yet
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 6:48pm On Aug 16, 2021
pu7pl3:

I'm not disputing the fact that they are doing absolutely remarkable, they are awesome..I'm just saying that the saturation would get to them soon enough too and they would definitely start doing boring WWE stuff too...the storylines they have planned for 1yr is a slippery slope cos there is no way they can see the future and write in new wrestlers they haven't signed yet
if Khan does good management I don't think we would experience that..
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:31pm On Aug 16, 2021
ValeeLove:
if Khan does good management I don't think we would experience that..

I hope so bruh...
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:02am On Aug 17, 2021
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Against all odds, the RK-Bro story has been the best thing about Monday Night Raw for quite a while. That rang true during this week’s episode from San Antonio, where the two reunited after Randy Orton was made to realize the truth of his situation and begrudgingly accepted his fate.
He came to realize that two things are absolutely true:
Riddle is worthy of his respect after all, even though he’s the most annoying little shit you’ll ever find
He needs Riddle to defeat AJ Styles & Omos
Orton, who works as a character because he’s so relentlessly himself, to the point of mistreating the hell out of literally everyone around him, ran into the brick wall that is Omos and fell to the same fate as all those before him. It’s worth pointing out they did a great job of building the secondary story here: can Orton RKO this tremendously large man?
He couldn’t here. That’s at least in part to Styles getting involved, however, leaving the door open to the possibility that maybe it could have happened if only the odds were even. Reuniting with Riddle fixed that problem. It acts an both an equalizer and a concession from Randy that being so relentlessly Orton won’t equal victory in this instance.
At SummerSlam, it’s on.
And just think of how good the moment could be if RK-Bro win the tag team titles and Riddle bends down to celebrate with his belt over his shoulder and Orton finally stands behind him and rocks the pose to celebrate along with him. The set up is there. It’s time to go home.

Expletive deleted
I actually really appreciate what they’re doing getting Goldberg’s son involved in this feud with Bobby Lashley. It’s a nice attempt at giving him a bit more depth of character, and while I’m not sure if it’s landing or not, it’s also a way to make him much more sympathetic. At the very least, he becomes more relatable.
Having said that, there just isn’t much meat on the bone here.
Goldberg is in this spot simply by claiming it, not by earning it. Lashley just sort of went along with it. And while I do appreciate what they’re aiming for with the inclusion of Goldberg’s kiddo, there wasn’t much more to his getting involved than there was his father. He just sort of showed up and suddenly was a part of things.
What I was mostly reminded of with how they played this segment out, though, was just how much I miss having a force of nature like Brock Lesnar in times like these. How much more powerful would it have been to see Goldberg like this with his kid and Lesnar stepping up and saying things like “I don’t give a shit about your kids” a la how he handled Heath Slater?
Instead, we get Lashley saying things like “when you step into this ring, you step into the house of the All Mighty” and Goldberg, going for the same level of shock value Brock did but without any of the substance, simply responding with “Lashley, that’s BULLSHIT.”
Yeah. Totally. This whole thing is kinda bullshit, but at least it’s over soon.

All the rest
Charlotte Flair was great on commentary during Nikki A.S.H. vs. Rhea Ripley, making fun of how lame it is to call yourself “almost a superhero.” Why would you call yourself “almost” anything, she wondered. “I simply am what I am, a queen.” Indeed. Nikki, meanwhile, is probably a hit with the younger audience and represents the sort of content business WWE has become. It’s not so much about telling good stories using folks who want to be the best wrestler, it’s about creating characters they can market across multiple platforms. Charlotte is closer to the more traditional wrestler, and therefore I hope she continues to dominate the division.
Having said all that, the booking for the three women involved in the Raw women’s title match on this show was atrocious. Ripley pinned Cross in a singles match early, Flair got beat up by both after, then Charlotte pinned Ripley in a tag match that also involved someone who hasn’t been anywhere near any of this. No one came out of this evening looking any better.
I’m awfully confused with what they’re trying to accomplish with this Drew McIntyre vs. Jinder Mahal program. At no point has Mahal looked like a legitimate threat to McIntyre, and the only route he seemed to have to victory was that he had numbers, and then they took that away with McIntyre beating both Veer and Shanky to ensure they’re barred from ringside. I guess the point is “hey, watch this match to see just how badly McIntyre is going to destroy his old stablemate and also see if he maybe finally uses the sword you know he can’t actually use.” It’s not much of a sell for me.
Hey, Johnny Drip Drip is actually a decent interviewer. He eased The Miz into their interview on “Moist TV” with a cake question — what is your favorite movie? — that doubled as a set up because he knew exactly how Miz, who is incredibly vain, would answer. When he confirmed his favorite movie is any movie he acted in, Morrison noted his love for it and quickly segued into asking if he was acting injured all this time. That’s pretty good! Then he led Miz right into a match with Damian Priest, which he lost, of course. I don’t know where this is going, but they created some conflict between Miz and Morrison. They made up before the show was over, sure, but the seeds have been planted, at least.

Mustafa Ali may very well be the absolute king of making the most of everything he’s given. He maximizes his minutes, as good ol’ JR would say. This story with Mansoor is doing well to get both of them over, as Ali passes along valuable lessons not just through words but during actual matches. That included his cheating to help Mansoor beat Mace, which we’re all going to accept because, seriously, to hell with Mace. But also because it’s going to be great to see the Ali vs. Mansoor match down the line to see just how much of this Mansoor puts to use.
I don’t know about any political machinations behind-the-scenes, but it is nice to see at least some synergy between brands in the form of Karrion Kross absolutely dump trucking Jeff Hardy. The bit where he ran through him while he was mid-interview running his mouth just before the match was a nice touch made even nicer by his choking him out in short order in the ring. That’s how you put a guy over.
I might be the only one but I still love these 24/7 championship chase segments, especially now that Reggie is out there doing advanced parkour to avoid the hard charging R-Truth and Akira Tozawa.
It pains me how little I have to say about what Eva Marie is doing. They have her tied up in a program with Doudrop, a character I’m having trouble finding any sympathy for considering there did so very little to put across why she ever puts up with anything from Eva in the first place, and they’re severely lacking in backstory for, and the pound-for-pound dumbest thing in WWE today, Lilly. Alexa Bliss is also there, but she’s playing second fiddle to the damn doll. Somehow, the evil woman with the maybe sentient and/or haunted doll is the babyface too. It’s just dumb, and bad, and it feels like they’re wasting everything Eva could be because they’ve completely gone away from what worked so well with her before.
This wasn’t a bad show but as a go home episode to a major pay-per-view, it left me wanting.

Grade: C-
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 11:48am On Aug 17, 2021
Put a caption on it

(1) (2) (3) ... (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) (221) ... (298) (Reply)

Cuando Seas Mia: 'When You Are Mine' / ARROW and THE FLASH fan page....... / Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.