Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,560 members, 7,823,478 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House - TV/Movies (226) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House (291371 Views)

Games Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon Official Discussion Thread / Nigerians Storm Gotv Facebook Page Over WWE / Rachel Johnson Goes Topless On Live TV Show During Brexit Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) ... (298) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:34pm On Sep 18, 2021
ValeeLove:
What's your opinion on the best Wrestling era ever and why? The 80s, the early 90s, The attitude era, Ruthless Aggression era, PG era(lol), and current trash(permit me) we're in. We can add the Indy wrestling era - of which AEW is sculpted from - to it.

The attitude era is God-tier, that's why wrestlers like The Rock, Stone cold and Chris Jericho are legends
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:32am On Sep 21, 2021
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Raw's Acknowledgement of the Tribal Chief
One thing I love about comic books is when characters who squared off long ago do so again in a completely different context. Spider-Man and the Green Goblin fought each other more times than I can count. But if Spidey pulls out that black suit and let his dark side run wild because he’s pushed to the edge? I’m in.
Sure, we’ve seen New Day x The Uso’s battle it out so many times over the past decade. But have we seen it with these iterations of either team with Big E as WWE Champion and this version of Roman Reigns standing shoulder to shoulder with his cousins? I think not.
But why did it open the show? My spidey sense immediately tingled because there’s no way WWE gives us this hyped six-man tag to open the show and leave us nothing to look forward to in the main event.
Enter the All Mighty former WWE Champion Bobby Lashley.
Lashley destroyed everyone in and outside of the ring during the match, including Reigns after he secured the win for the Bloodline. Weird that apparently the referee was cool with an outside man blatantly interfering in the match but, okay, sure.
As a result, Adam Pearce and Sonya Deville granted everyone’s wish and gave us a triple threat match between the two current champions and the former champ. Each man felt disrespected by the other and went into the match with their own agendas.
Big E wants all of the static with Bobby Lashley. Roman wants Big E—the initial line stepper—but will happily take some smoke from Lashley.
THIS. IS. AWESOME.
This was big boy wrestling at its finest. It wasn’t pretty and “finesse” felt like a four letter word. Reigns went for quick covers to end this thing as soon as possible and get back to Friday nights. It was a great way to establish Lashley and Big E as formidable challengers to a man who is WWE’s Dr. Doom at this point. If there are two cats in WWE who can manhandle the Tribal Chief, it’s Lashley and Large Langston.
After trading body blows, suplexes, superplexes, spears and superman punches, the match hit another gear when E gave Roman the Big Ending. In that moment, that was the game, set, and match. But Lashley broke it up and then attempted to break the WWE Champion by slamming him through the commentary table. Lashley and Roman tangoed for a bit, but neither of them got the job done because the WWE Champion came to just in time to breakup a pinfall.
From that point, it was all E. He eventually put Roman in another Big Ending and right before the ref threw his hand down to the mat for a third time, in came Lashley with a little sweet chair music.
He wailed on Big E for what felt like five minutes. Continuing the story from last week, Bobby’s greed got the better of him and he didn’t know when to stop. Reigns took advantage, hit him with a spear, and walked out of Raw with the win and his pride intact.
This was the best match and best story of the night. Big E looks like he belongs and came out of the match in a much stronger position than going into it. Lashley loses nothing by taking the L the way he did, and Reigns looks...well, like he always looks.
Lashley and Big E is the thing now and the champ will get his revenge. But, there’s compelling stories to tell with Lashley and Roman or Roman and E in the future.
And just like the Spider-Man fighting the Green Goblin as a college student avenging the death of his fiancé, or a working adult trying to battle for the soul of his best friend, we now have new context for each configuration.

They Didn’t Make it About Dolls...
There’s an interesting story beat WWE is doing here: Charlotte Flair wants the old Alexa Bliss back. She’s not interested in this new version. Charlotte, playing armchair psychiatrist, says Alexa is broken and using the tricks as a facade. The champ wants to “beat the sense” back into her. Alexa, a smart woman, gave as good as she got. She poked at Charlotte’s lack of identity when she’s not the champ (true), the fact her character is defined by having a title (also true), and how her “woo” chant plays into her lack of identity.
Alexa said it without saying: Charlotte has a lot more to lose than she does this Sunday. If Alexa loses, she still has her doll and other things to define her. If Charlotte loses? Well, yeah, she’s still got that “woo” to fall back on.
Just when it looked like they were going to make this all about dolls, they turned it into a psychological story about one woman who is completely comfortable in her own skin and another who is only comfortable when said skin is wrapped in gold.
I want to see Charlotte lose because I’m aching to see the answer to Alexa’s question. Meanwhile, the specter of Chucky looms closer and closer.
Consider this your warning.

The Winners, and New...
The very emotional moment when Super Brutality dedicated their match to children suffering from pediatric cancer. Maybe there were faking the emotion, maybe they weren’t. But I’m a sap so it tugged at my heart strings.
We now return to your regularly scheduled Women’s Tag Title match....that lasted less than 10 minutes. Obviously Nikki A.S.H. and Rhea Ripley were going to win. Seriously, they dedicated their match to CHILDREN. Not just children, but children with pediatric cancer.
Super Brutality gets their moment in the sun while Shotzi & Tegan Nox wait in the wings. By WWE logic, they were more deserving of a title shot than Nikki and Rhea since they own multiple W’s over the former tag champs. Me thinks they have a bone to pick and the new champs will hear all about it in the future.
But today, it’s all about the kids.

The rest
AJ is the Weakest Link
Randy and AJ wrote another chapter to their longstanding feud and this particular story of the former Raw tag champs wanting their belts back. Pardon the pun, but the match was phenomenal.
Two cats who know each other all-too well, and that familiarity showed itself a lot, but none better than the final sequence. AJ pump faked the Phenomenal Forearm knowing Randy planned to counter with an RKO.
Sadly, it wasn’t enough because as the story keeps telling us, AJ sans Omos can’t get the job done. The big man got sent to the back early in the match and without his personal colossus to save him or neutralize Riddle, AJ took the L.
I’m not sure if we’re building to a rematch for the tag titles or a breakup of Omos and AJ once the big man realizes he’s carrying the load. But WWE has options.

Jeff Hardy Punches His Ticket
Late in this match, Jeff Hardy went for a Swanton to pin Sheamus and earn a spot into Sunday’s United States Championship match. Sheamus blocked it causing Jeff to bounce off of Sheamus’s knees. Seriously, the man bounced. It looked painful, and thankfully the match was over shortly after that. Hardy is the added wrinkle to this dance between Damian Priest and the Irishman, so who knows how it goes this Sunday.
What I do know is that Jeff needs to soak in an ice bath between now and Sunday because he’s going to feel like utter crap. I wanted a clever simile here and I apologize for not delivering.

Respect on Her Name
Doudrop x Eva Marie, against my will, aren’t done yet. Eva says girls like Doudrop, who aren’t put together, can never beat a woman like Eva. Corey called Eva WWE’s Muhammad Ali which is several bridges too far. Thankfully, he acknowledged that.
Once Eva stopped running, Doudrop made it academic and pinned her...again. I don’t know what they’re doing with Eva at this point, or get why we’re still doing this.
To quote one of my favorite Chappelle Show sketches, wrap it up, B.

Meh Friends, Better Enemies
Shayna Baszler really doesn’t like Nia Jax. Thankfully, the match was quick, fast, and over in a hurry. The true juice was after the bell when Shayna tried to end her former partner’s career. Give Nia props for going for next year’s Emmy because she went all in on the begging and pleading here.

Shayna looked conflicted about potentially breaking Nia’s arm, but hey, can’t make an omelet without breaking some eggs. Once again, not sure what we’re doing here and it’s probably not really over yet either.

Illegal Handsome
Angel Garza & Humberto Carrillo, two cousins, beat the snot out of Mansoor & Mustafa Ali. The cousins are here to climb the ranks while the guys who took the L are nowhere near the same page.

24-7 Champion Stuff Happened
I know this is some people’s cup of tea, but It's getting boring, Reggie makes Drake and co. look foolish again. It takes up valuable time and just ain’t doing it for me.

This was an average episode of Raw. Stories progressed, but there was barely enough match time for several and we’re still getting stuff like Doudrop x Eva Marie for reasons unbeknownst to me. The opening and closing matches were on point, and the Raw Women’s Championship match got a lot more interesting. That, plus Randy x AJ doing their thing saved the show for me.

Grade: C+
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 4:27pm On Sep 21, 2021
pu7pl3:
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Raw's Acknowledgement of the Tribal Chief
One thing I love about comic books is when characters who squared off long ago do so again in a completely different context. Spider-Man and the Green Goblin fought each other more times than I can count. But if Spidey pulls out that black suit and let his dark side run wild because he’s pushed to the edge? I’m in.
Sure, we’ve seen New Day x The Uso’s battle it out so many times over the past decade. But have we seen it with these iterations of either team with Big E as WWE Champion and this version of Roman Reigns standing shoulder to shoulder with his cousins? I think not.
But why did it open the show? My spidey sense immediately tingled because there’s no way WWE gives us this hyped six-man tag to open the show and leave us nothing to look forward to in the main event.
Enter the All Mighty former WWE Champion Bobby Lashley.
Lashley destroyed everyone in and outside of the ring during the match, including Reigns after he secured the win for the Bloodline. Weird that apparently the referee was cool with an outside man blatantly interfering in the match but, okay, sure.
As a result, Adam Pearce and Sonya Deville granted everyone’s wish and gave us a triple threat match between the two current champions and the former champ. Each man felt disrespected by the other and went into the match with their own agendas.
Big E wants all of the static with Bobby Lashley. Roman wants Big E—the initial line stepper—but will happily take some smoke from Lashley.
THIS. IS. AWESOME.
This was big boy wrestling at its finest. It wasn’t pretty and “finesse” felt like a four letter word. Reigns went for quick covers to end this thing as soon as possible and get back to Friday nights. It was a great way to establish Lashley and Big E as formidable challengers to a man who is WWE’s Dr. Doom at this point. If there are two cats in WWE who can manhandle the Tribal Chief, it’s Lashley and Large Langston.
After trading body blows, suplexes, superplexes, spears and superman punches, the match hit another gear when E gave Roman the Big Ending. In that moment, that was the game, set, and match. But Lashley broke it up and then attempted to break the WWE Champion by slamming him through the commentary table. Lashley and Roman tangoed for a bit, but neither of them got the job done because the WWE Champion came to just in time to breakup a pinfall.
From that point, it was all E. He eventually put Roman in another Big Ending and right before the ref threw his hand down to the mat for a third time, in came Lashley with a little sweet chair music.
He wailed on Big E for what felt like five minutes. Continuing the story from last week, Bobby’s greed got the better of him and he didn’t know when to stop. Reigns took advantage, hit him with a spear, and walked out of Raw with the win and his pride intact.
This was the best match and best story of the night. Big E looks like he belongs and came out of the match in a much stronger position than going into it. Lashley loses nothing by taking the L the way he did, and Reigns looks...well, like he always looks.
Lashley and Big E is the thing now and the champ will get his revenge. But, there’s compelling stories to tell with Lashley and Roman or Roman and E in the future.
And just like the Spider-Man fighting the Green Goblin as a college student avenging the death of his fiancé, or a working adult trying to battle for the soul of his best friend, we now have new context for each configuration.

They Didn’t Make it About Dolls...
There’s an interesting story beat WWE is doing here: Charlotte Flair wants the old Alexa Bliss back. She’s not interested in this new version. Charlotte, playing armchair psychiatrist, says Alexa is broken and using the tricks as a facade. The champ wants to “beat the sense” back into her. Alexa, a smart woman, gave as good as she got. She poked at Charlotte’s lack of identity when she’s not the champ (true), the fact her character is defined by having a title (also true), and how her “woo” chant plays into her lack of identity.
Alexa said it without saying: Charlotte has a lot more to lose than she does this Sunday. If Alexa loses, she still has her doll and other things to define her. If Charlotte loses? Well, yeah, she’s still got that “woo” to fall back on.
Just when it looked like they were going to make this all about dolls, they turned it into a psychological story about one woman who is completely comfortable in her own skin and another who is only comfortable when said skin is wrapped in gold.
I want to see Charlotte lose because I’m aching to see the answer to Alexa’s question. Meanwhile, the specter of Chucky looms closer and closer.
Consider this your warning.

The Winners, and New...
The very emotional moment when Super Brutality dedicated their match to children suffering from pediatric cancer. Maybe there were faking the emotion, maybe they weren’t. But I’m a sap so it tugged at my heart strings.
We now return to your regularly scheduled Women’s Tag Title match....that lasted less than 10 minutes. Obviously Nikki A.S.H. and Rhea Ripley were going to win. Seriously, they dedicated their match to CHILDREN. Not just children, but children with pediatric cancer.
Super Brutality gets their moment in the sun while Shotzi & Tegan Nox wait in the wings. By WWE logic, they were more deserving of a title shot than Nikki and Rhea since they own multiple W’s over the former tag champs. Me thinks they have a bone to pick and the new champs will hear all about it in the future.
But today, it’s all about the kids.

The rest
AJ is the Weakest Link
Randy and AJ wrote another chapter to their longstanding feud and this particular story of the former Raw tag champs wanting their belts back. Pardon the pun, but the match was phenomenal.
Two cats who know each other all-too well, and that familiarity showed itself a lot, but none better than the final sequence. AJ pump faked the Phenomenal Forearm knowing Randy planned to counter with an RKO.
Sadly, it wasn’t enough because as the story keeps telling us, AJ sans Omos can’t get the job done. The big man got sent to the back early in the match and without his personal colossus to save him or neutralize Riddle, AJ took the L.
I’m not sure if we’re building to a rematch for the tag titles or a breakup of Omos and AJ once the big man realizes he’s carrying the load. But WWE has options.

Jeff Hardy Punches His Ticket
Late in this match, Jeff Hardy went for a Swanton to pin Sheamus and earn a spot into Sunday’s United States Championship match. Sheamus blocked it causing Jeff to bounce off of Sheamus’s knees. Seriously, the man bounced. It looked painful, and thankfully the match was over shortly after that. Hardy is the added wrinkle to this dance between Damian Priest and the Irishman, so who knows how it goes this Sunday.
What I do know is that Jeff needs to soak in an ice bath between now and Sunday because he’s going to feel like utter crap. I wanted a clever simile here and I apologize for not delivering.

Respect on Her Name
Doudrop x Eva Marie, against my will, aren’t done yet. Eva says girls like Doudrop, who aren’t put together, can never beat a woman like Eva. Corey called Eva WWE’s Muhammad Ali which is several bridges too far. Thankfully, he acknowledged that.
Once Eva stopped running, Doudrop made it academic and pinned her...again. I don’t know what they’re doing with Eva at this point, or get why we’re still doing this.
To quote one of my favorite Chappelle Show sketches, wrap it up, B.

Meh Friends, Better Enemies
Shayna Baszler really doesn’t like Nia Jax. Thankfully, the match was quick, fast, and over in a hurry. The true juice was after the bell when Shayna tried to end her former partner’s career. Give Nia props for going for next year’s Emmy because she went all in on the begging and pleading here.

Shayna looked conflicted about potentially breaking Nia’s arm, but hey, can’t make an omelet without breaking some eggs. Once again, not sure what we’re doing here and it’s probably not really over yet either.

Illegal Handsome
Angel Garza & Humberto Carrillo, two cousins, beat the snot out of Mansoor & Mustafa Ali. The cousins are here to climb the ranks while the guys who took the L are nowhere near the same page.

24-7 Champion Stuff Happened
I know this is some people’s cup of tea, but It's getting boring, Reggie makes Drake and co. look foolish again. It takes up valuable time and just ain’t doing it for me.

This was an average episode of Raw. Stories progressed, but there was barely enough match time for several and we’re still getting stuff like Doudrop x Eva Marie for reasons unbeknownst to me. The opening and closing matches were on point, and the Raw Women’s Championship match got a lot more interesting. That, plus Randy x AJ doing their thing saved the show for me.

Grade: C+
about the main event, I've seen your thoughts and the match was good, but i don't think having a champion from another brand beat your newly crowned World champion and his number one contender clean on free TV with no build whatsoever for reasons I have no idea why is a good idea. To feed more guys to Roman or just plain hotshotting matches and feuds to combat AEW or NFL in the ratings? Man, good match, bad booking. Good for short term, bad for long-term. That's my thought.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 4:47pm On Sep 21, 2021
ValeeLove:
about the main event, I've seen your thoughts and the match was good, but i don't think having a champion from another brand beat your newly crowned World champion and his number one contender clean on free TV with no build whatsoever for reasons I have no idea why is a good idea. To feed more guys to Roman or just plain hotshotting matches and feuds to combat AEW or NFL in the ratings? Man, good match, bad booking. Good for short term, bad for long-term. That's my thought.

How is it bad for long term?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 5:19pm On Sep 21, 2021
You guys should make sure to catch this Undertaker's movie on Netflix, it looks really cool... October 5th

https://twitter.com/TrueKofi/status/1440346919759319042?s=19

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 8:40am On Sep 22, 2021
pu7pl3:

How is it bad for long term?
They had an outsider come in to beat them in their own brand on free TV. Note, at this moment they both are the biggest stars of that brand. Except WWE has no plans of truly pushing Big E I don't see how that was a good idea for him just 1 week after his World title win. If a match like this happened in the attitude era it would probably end in some sort of interferances or an abrupt end so as to make all the guys still look strong coming out and not give it all away on free TV. Everyone is happy after this match, but how is WWE gonna top this? What's their plan moving on? Who is going to take a match of Big E vs Lashley serious after some outsider made them look incompetent in their own brand. That's how I see it. Good match. Long-term, I don't see much.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:04am On Sep 22, 2021
ValeeLove:
They had an outsider come in to beat them in their own brand on free TV. Note, at this moment they both are the biggest stars of that brand. Except WWE has no plans of truly pushing Big E I don't see how that was a good idea for him just 1 week after his World title win. If a match like this happened in the attitude era it would probably end in some sort of interferances or an abrupt end so as to make all the guys still look strong coming out and not give it all away on free TV. Everyone is happy after this match, but how is WWE gonna top this? What's their plan moving on? Who is going to take a match of Big E vs Lashley serious after some outsider made them look incompetent in their own brand. That's how I see it. Good match. Long-term, I don't see much.

These kind of matches happend regularly in the attitude era especially with clear top stars like Stone Cold, The Rock or Triple H..it cemented them as the top top cats on the food chain which Roman undoubtedly is, Roman beating anyone doesn't mean the person is weak especially if they put in as much effort as they (Big E and Lashley) did and they are also protected cos it's triple threat rules, there is no saying that one on one either of them couldn't upset Reigns in a singles match.
And the fact that it's free TV doesn't mean fans shouldn't still be treated to the best, everything doesn't have to be PPV...
They weren't building to anything apart from maybe Lashley coming for a rematch for his title and we fans felt robbed of Big E cashing in on Roman as he was on the blue brand teasing it with the briefcase so this match was just to pacify us and they did one hell of a Job

And I don't know what makes you think WWE doesn't plan to push E
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:32am On Sep 22, 2021
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Bron Breaker is Your Hook Up...
Bron Breaker sounds like his father and uncle. I mean, of course he looks like them, but his vocal inflections and tones are eerily similar. Bron is representative of this episode of NXT: young, brash, taking shots at anyone above him, and ready to step up.
Tommaso Ciampa kicked off the show with his own “state of NXT 2.0” address. Hugging Goldie like a gold bar, he lauded the talent in the ring behind him, the fans in front of him, and proclaimed NXT 2.0 is now the “A show” in WWE. Before all the feels were felt, Cameron Grimes, LA Knight, Pete Dunne, and Ridge Holland staked their claim to Goldie. Everyone chose violence and chaos ensued. The four men left in the ring were Dunne, Holland, Breaker, and Ciampa. Breaker, as someone who no doubt watched a lot of wrestling growing up, did the only logical thing and challenged Holland & Dunne to a tag match with Ciampa by his side. Quicker than you can say “Teddy Long,” the match was made.
Ciampa started the match and, duh, tried to do a lot by himself. He and Breaker are an uneasy alliance at best, but also Ciampa just likes to fight. But he could only do but so much before he made the tag and Breaker went wild. He even pulled out a Steiner Recliner that apparently we can’t call by its proper name. His fire rejuvenated Ciampa, while making Dunne and Holland realize the only way to win was to get dirty.
Tommaso Ciampa put an end to that and those dirty tricks came back to haunt the Brits as Kyle O’Reilly came to the ring and extracted his own revenge with Holland’s baton in hand. After Holland got tossed back into the ring while being worse for wear thanks to Kyle, Steiner Breaker lifted Holland over his head like a bag of peanuts, and dropped him to the canvas.
1-2-3.
This was the best match of the night, which isn’t saying much since there weren’t a lot of matches. However, it put the pieces in play for the most notable storyline in NXT 2.0: Everyone wants the NXT Championship. Bron, with the crowd chanting his name and clearly feeling himself, didn’t want to hand the belt over to Ciampa. Like I said, an uneasy alliance at best. Ciampa looks like a man who learned from the Corleone school of business by keeping his friends close and his enemies closer.
There’s a target on his back and every young gun in NXT is looking right at him. Bron, for the moment, just happens to have the best shot. The grizzled vet fending off the young lions is classic story to tell. When NXT feels out enough of these characters, specifically Bron, it might be genuinely compelling.
For now, Bron is a mountain of muscles and a lot of fun to watch in the ring. If the plan is to make him the champ, he’s got to be a lot more than that. Here’s hoping.

That Dynasty Sign
Kushida never stood a chance. Yeah, yeah, I know, he walked in as champion and went to work on Roderick Strong’s left arm like a surgeon. But he had no shot. For the past few weeks, the story was the Diamond Mine tipping the scales in his favor or the favor of anyone else in their camp.
Even when someone thinks they have the upper hand, as Kushida did in this match, the odds are never in their favor. And as any Hunger Games fan will tell you, you need those odds to have a shot to even survive, much less win.
Kushida fought his heart out. He and Roderick put on a technical wrestling clinic the second the bell rang. The Cruiserweight champ found an opening with Strong’s shoulder and attacked it like a Rottweiler. But six beats one every single time, even if one of those six can only use one arm. Malcolm Bivens kept Roderick in the game when it looked like the challenger was ready to submit, and the rest of the Mine got their licks in on the champ when the ref was distracted. When it was all said and done, we crowned a new Cruiserweight Champion.
Before he could take his victory lap, Grayson Waller stepped up to take a shot at the new champ. Diamond Mine suspiciously agreed. Something tells me more chicanery is a foot, so Waller better not bring a knife to a fight with six guns aimed at him.

The rest
Kay Lee’s Journey
I felt bad for Amari Miller. She’s fresh to NXT, wanted beef with Kay Lee Ray to tell the world she’s here now, and stepped into the “home of NXT 2.0” with all the confidence in the world. She gave it her all though! But this was Kay Lee’s night. Amari got enough offense in though to show some fire and loses nothing by taking the L to Ray.

Say Hello to Dante Chen
Dante Chen debuted tonight against Trey Baxter. Grand opening, grand closing for Mr. Baxter. Thanks for coming, homie. Dante has a unique finisher that looks cool and, more importantly, looks like it hurts. A lot.

Unity on the Moon
Allow him to reintroduce himself his name is Joe! Joe Gacy, dressed like a white collar worker, unveiled his 2.0 attitude. He seems like he’s part therapist, part motivational speaker. The inherent conflict of a wrestler who seeks to create peace and unity is an interesting one. If WWE is smart, they’ll lean into making him their version of Peacemaker. I’m sure John Cena won’t mind.
Even after taking the quick-ish L to Cameron Grimes, he wanted to shake hands and hug it out. I don’t know if it will work, but it’s definitely different and has potential.

We Can Go Blow for Blow like Evander and Bowe
Hit Row set a trap for Elektra Lopez and Legado del Fantasma. After Ms. Lopez dispatched Anna Scheer without breaking a sweat, she put B-FAB’s name on her lips. Hit Row, of course, but without B-FAB in tow. This is wrestling, so obviously she popped up behind Lopez and her boys. Cue the beatdown and then the boys breaking it up.
I’m more interested in this beef now than Santos and Isaiah “Swerve” Scott. Next week, we’ll see them go at it in a No DQ match. Bring it on.

Not Even Ulysses Can Save Them
Odyssey Jones beat two men. Two men. Convincingly. This was an old school way to get a big man over, while further Jones’ beef with Andre Chase aka NXT’s Bobby Knight.

Toxic Attraction is a Thing
This segment was off. This was the chance for this group to carve out their identity with a unique voice. Instead, it sounded stilted and like the first draft of a script. Or maybe it was the lack of personality behind any of their words. Either way, Toxic Attraction isn’t off to the best start and really needs someone who can talk. Because, yeah, this ain’t it.

This was a lot in two hours. Mostly, it was introducing us to new wrestlers, forgotten wrestlers, or new segments. NXT is in a weird spot right now, doing the best it can to introduce so many characters and their motivations and only having two hours a week to do it. There were some bumps in the road tonight, besides the Toxic Attraction thing which was just...yeah, regrettable. Some segments had too much going on, while others didn’t give enough context. Then there were others, like Trey Baxter and Cora Jade, that piqued my curiosity.

The crowd’s energy and the fire the young cats showed helped gloss over some of the rough spots, but it’s going to be a few weeks before this show really finds its sea legs.

Grade: B

2 Likes

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:36am On Sep 22, 2021
AEW news has been scarce here...what's going on?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 4:05pm On Sep 22, 2021
AEW Grand slam special episodes Wednesday and Friday. Kenny Omega vs Daniel Bryan. Cody Rhodes vs Malaika Black rematch, Britt Baker Vs Ruby Riot among matches
pu7pl3:
AEW news has been scarce here...what's going on?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by DownChelsea(f): 4:31pm On Sep 22, 2021
They're trying to merge raw and smackdown storylines.

I expect to see Lashley on smackdown this Friday.

But boy... Smackdown has all the superstars.

Reigns
Becky Lynch
Big E
Corbin
The mysterios
Edge (part time)
Seth Rollins
Owens
Usos
Cena (part time)
Finn Balor
Brock Lesnar

And more....
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 4:41pm On Sep 22, 2021
samistry:
AEW Grand slam special episodes Wednesday and Friday. Kenny Omega vs Daniel Bryan. Cody Rhodes vs Malaika Black rematch, Britt Baker Vs Ruby Riot among matches

What have they been doing in the mean time?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Qu3sT(m): 11:12am On Sep 23, 2021
Ya'll niggas better stop what you're doing and go watch Bryan Vs Kenny omega match from last night.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 5:26pm On Sep 23, 2021
DownChelsea:
They're trying to merge raw and smackdown storylines.

I expect to see Lashley on smackdown this Friday.

But boy... Smackdown has all the superstars.

Reigns
Becky Lynch
Big E
Corbin
The mysterios
Edge (part time)
Seth Rollins
Owens
Usos
Cena (part time)
Finn Balor
Brock Lesnar

And more....

Big money Fox
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:38am On Sep 25, 2021
WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

One thing I really like about Roman Reigns, and The Bloodline, and the way stories are written on Friday Night SmackDown more generally, is that they tend to service many masters all at once. So while Brock Lesnar is waiting in the wings for Reigns, no matter what happens with Finn Balor at Extreme Rules, they can also work an entire bit around Montez Ford being at this week’s show without Angelo Dawkins and turning that into one hell of a main event match.}
Ford disrespected The Bloodline, and Reigns decided to put the boots to him in response. What came of it was actually one hell of an opportunity for Ford to showcase his skills against the top guy in the entire company in a headline spot, and he did quite well for himself.
He felt like he belonged just fine, a good sign for the future.
Of course, that was all just to get to Reigns winning and Paul Heyman asking for him to send an EXTREME message and Ford going through a table on the outside. That’s when THE DEMON showed up to give us this cool visual:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/lT0bQCc1h-ryAJVZCqQyrK4MjQw=/0x0:1223x673/1120x0/filters:focal(0x0:1223x673):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/22876755/Balor.png

There’s something to be said for moments like this that may not come through so well on TV. It’s still cool, sure, but these are live events and moments like this are very much for the fans in attendance. They likely enjoyed the whole thing far more than we ever could just by virtue of being there, and that’s pretty great for them and something to keep in mind for the rest of us.
They didn’t do much to create any more doubt for the match at Extreme Rules but that would be playing a losing game anyway. All told, this was a pretty damn good way to handle things.

I’m not sure how I feel about this character turn for Becky Lynch — she’s in a constant state of playing like she’s had no choice but to do the dastardly things she’s been doing, and actually it’s everyone else who is wrong. It’s not that such a strategy is ineffective, because it certainly can be with the right character, I just don’t know that it works with this particular wrestler.
Maybe I’m just longing for the badass, make no apologies, take no prisoners Lynch I remember from before she left. To be fair, she cut a promo later in the show that sort of got back to this, so maybe there’s hope just yet.
Meanwhile, I really don’t like that they keep going back to Bianca Belair saying “I wasn’t expecting to have a match with you” at SummerSlam as a defense of her loss that night. It makes everything Lynch says correct! You don’t want your babyface making excuses, and she already owned up to her part and promised to come back stronger. Why go back to this talking point just days before the match?
As an aside, It also kind of buries Sasha Banks, right? Belair was prepared for Banks and therefore couldn’t deal with a challenge from Lynch? Are they not on the same level?
Anyway, after all that, this segment devolved into catchphrases and general promotion of the upcoming match that was your standard fare. Nothing special.
It was really only interesting once Becky hauled off and smacked her in the face after Belair offered her hand to her. That ignited a brief but aggressive brawl that made clear the focus all along should have been about Belair wanting to showcase that. “You caught me off guard before, now watch this” and all that.
It’s hard to stretch that out over a month, I guess.
Mostly, I’m just glad the match is here and we can move on from this soon enough.

This was the best thing about this show by a mile.
A while back, Naomi showed up on Friday Night SmackDown to say she was here and ready to get in the ring to wrestle and show what she can do. She was greeted by an oddly distant Sonya Deville, who played dumb while brushing her off.
Fast forward a few weeks and Naomi was getting increasingly pissed off at being strung along, to the point she got right up in Deville’s face and all but threatened to pop off right then and there. She was fined for this.
Finally, she just came out to the ring this week, getting on a microphone and leading a crowd in a chant of “make the match” in reference to, well, literally any match. This extremely qualified, naturally talented woman just wants to wrestle, damn it. What the hell is Sonya’s problem, anyway?
Here’s the thing: we still don’t know the answer to that.
Here’s the other thing: we hardly care at this point because my god was Deville incredible here.
She demanded Naomi’s mic be cut, called for security to escort her out, and then absolutely laid into her while they were doing so:
“You don’t see it but I was actually trying to help you because we all know when your elaborate entrance is over, everything else is downhill from there. We’ve given you chance after chance after chance and you constantly drop the ball. So you wanna be mad at somebody? Be mad at yourself. Get her out, boys, get her out. Now you can go back there and Tik Tok dance your way into obscurity while I create the future of SmackDown. Get her out of here!”
Give me Naomi vs. Sonya Deville NOW!

All the rest
Oh, I quite liked the added wrinkle they introduced in this week’s brief Seth Rollins promo, cut while sitting in a darkened backstage area. He made clear this week that he expects Edge to drag his ass to the ring to answer his call on next week’s show and if he doesn’t there will be consequences. He made sure to make a key point in demanding this, though: he said Edge needs to make clear to the world that Rollins is not, in fact, Edge-lite, and he is the reason Edge will be gone going forward. Whereas last week his angle was about purging himself of the weakness he perceived through feeling sorry for his foe, this week was about ego. It’s not just that he won, it’s that he needs to hear Edge say it and he’s willing to go after Edge in front of his wife and kids to achieve this. This is great because of what it means for the Rollins’ character and its progression but also does well to set up how Edge will respond to this after what happened in their match.

Shinsuke Nakamura defeated Apollo Crews to retain the Intercontinental championship in a match that wasn’t terribly interesting. It felt like more of a showcase for Rick BOOGS, who played the guitar to help a Nakamura comeback before tossing Commander Azeez to ensure he couldn’t interfere in the match.

I, for one, am really happy to see Nikki A.S.H. and Rhea Ripley coming over to the blue brand to fresher up the women’s tag team division over here, if only by way of once again taking out Natalya and Tamina (even if it was just Nikki beating Nattie in a singles match). That paved the way for Shotzi & Nox to show up with that tank and fire off a shot at the champs. I love the idea that this is how they make a challenge for a match. Just fire a tank at their would be opponents. They deserved the next match anyway, and there’s a lot of potential in those two, so let’s get to that now, please and thank you.

Dominik Mysterio finally stood up to his dad just a bit on this show, flat out telling Rey he would have beaten Sami Zayn twice if it weren’t for his father hanging out ringside. Rey dismissed this completely, giving him space because “it’s clear you’re not thinking straight.” As we know, Dom is in the right here. We don’t have to worry about whose side to take in all this, though, because Zayn showed up to further get into Dom’s head about it. We can be reasonably sure he doesn’t have good intentions, even if it seems like he does, and right now that’s the case. They’re doing a good job of pacing with this story, not rushing into anything and letting it develop naturally. I’m here for the next chapter.

Zelina Vega defeated Liv Morgan thanks to Carmella providing a useful distraction. Not much to say about this one. Carmella is far too worried about getting hit in the face and Morgan is maybe a bit too overzealous to deliver on that. Match incoming!
This was a solid show.

Grade: B-

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 7:33am On Sep 25, 2021
Would definitely recommend. Top contender for match of the year.
Qu3sT:
Ya'll niggas better stop what you're doing and go watch Bryan Vs Kenny omega match from last night.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:33am On Sep 25, 2021
samistry:
Would definitely recommend. Top contender for match of the year.

No Cap
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Nezzjnr: 10:42am On Sep 25, 2021
AEW should try and do something different.

Signing up stars that aren't needed by WWE can't make them mush WWE off the radar.

A whole lot of boring wrestlers in there... No hard fights.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 11:02am On Sep 25, 2021
Nezzjnr:
AEW should try and do something different.

Signing up stars that aren't needed by WWE can't make them mush WWE off the radar.

A whole lot of boring wrestlers in there... No hard fights.

this was what I meant when I said that place would soon get over saturated
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Nezzjnr: 1:26pm On Sep 25, 2021
pu7pl3:

this was what I meant when I said that place would soon get over saturated
I tried watching their show... But it looked boring to me.

For Vince not to feel threatened should tell you some thing.

Even the whole Punk stuff is already boring... They just rushed him... Always appearing every night.

But look at how WWE is handling Brock's return....Very classic and he doesn't get to appear every night
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by dahmie2013: 2:21pm On Sep 25, 2021
CM Punk already gave his best years to WWE, to me he isn't so much of a threat.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:48pm On Sep 25, 2021
Nezzjnr:

Even the whole Punk stuff is already boring... They just rushed him... Always appearing every night.

But look at how WWE is handling Brock's return....Very classic and he doesn't get to appear every night
Honestly I get it, but please don't compare Brock with Punk. Punk is a competitor while Brock is just there for the money. Only appeared once since SummerSlam and now is going to main event a ppv with the world champ. A big draw? Yeah, but let him stay week in and out like the rest, then we can have a fair accessment.
Punk's issue is the same with AEW's issue generally. No compelling stories. Just matches. Its sad for me as a fan.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 10:02pm On Sep 25, 2021
Nezzjnr:

Lets look towards the bright side a bit shall we.

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:14pm On Sep 25, 2021
Nezzjnr:

They have some good matches sha but that's it...soo many groups, soo many factions sometimes there are up to 10 people in the ring at once and it's not even a battle royal
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Nezzjnr: 5:00am On Sep 26, 2021
pu7pl3:

They have some good matches sha but that's it...soo many groups, soo many factions sometimes there are up to 10 people in the ring at once and it's not even a battle royal
The fights are getting too much.

No action apart from fighting.

I see them releasing a lot of wrestlers very soon
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Nezzjnr: 5:00am On Sep 26, 2021
dahmie2013:
CM Punk already gave his best years to WWE, to me he isn't so much of a threat.
Exactly.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Nezzjnr: 5:02am On Sep 26, 2021
ValeeLove:

Honestly I get it, but please don't compare Brock with Punk. Punk is a competitor while Brock is just there for the money. Only appeared once since SummerSlam and now is going to main event a ppv with the world champ. A big draw? Yeah, but let him stay week in and out like the rest, then we can have a fair accessment.
Punk's issue is the same with AEW's issue generally. No compelling stories. Just matches. Its sad for me as a fan.
If WWE wants Brock to be a competitor, You think they won't do that??.

It's just business wise for them not to rush in Brock like that.

Just keep the Fans on their toes so they won't know the next move the company is trying to take
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:34am On Sep 26, 2021
Nezzjnr:

The fights are getting too much.

No action apart from fighting.

I see them releasing a lot of wrestlers very soon

I hope not...cos men need to eat
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 11:31am On Sep 26, 2021
Nezzjnr:

If WWE wants Brock to be a competitor, You think they won't do that??.

It's just business wise for them not to rush in Brock like that.

Just keep the Fans on their toes so they won't know the next move the company is trying to take
Nezzjnr I think you should be a bit more positive while calling there mishaps. Look at the pic i posted above. Let's give this company a chance. They've had a good record since they started 2 years ago. Some flaws, yeah, but they brushed it off and kept on moving. I'm just glad seeing a good alternative to the sport I love. However Tony needs to work on management ASAP. Just like Pu7pl3 said some weeks ago, it has gotten over saturated.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 1:12pm On Sep 26, 2021
ValeeLove:
Nezzjnr I think you should be a bit more positive while calling there mishaps. Look at the pic i posted above. Let's give this company a chance. They've had a good record since they started 2 years ago. Some flaws, yeah, but they brushed it off and kept on moving. I'm just glad seeing a good alternative to the sport I love. However Tony needs to work on management ASAP. Just like Pu7pl3 said some weeks ago, it has gotten over saturated.

yea Nezzjnr let's cut them some slack
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 2:46pm On Sep 26, 2021
After all this time Mandy, I expected better mic skills from you. Las las na just fine you fine.

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 3:21pm On Sep 26, 2021
Kaycee7:
After all this time Mandy, I expected better mic skills from you. Las las na just fine you fine.

grin grin you have given up on her

(1) (2) (3) ... (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) ... (298) (Reply)

Cuando Seas Mia: 'When You Are Mine' / ARROW and THE FLASH fan page....... / Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.