Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,657 members, 7,820,292 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:39 PM

Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House - TV/Movies (225) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House (290520 Views)

Games Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon Official Discussion Thread / Nigerians Storm Gotv Facebook Page Over WWE / Rachel Johnson Goes Topless On Live TV Show During Brexit Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) ... (298) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 4:03pm On Sep 06, 2021
pu7pl3:
it's my birthday today guys smiley
Happy Birthday Bro. Many more happy and successful years to you. Sorry I'm late.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 4:28pm On Sep 06, 2021
Qu3sT:

It's going to continue dredging on with more lows than highs.
Chei! Wetin we do Oga Vince? He couldn't just let us have this one ray of sunshine.

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 5:28pm On Sep 06, 2021
Kaycee7:
Happy Birthday Bro. Many more happy and successful years to you. Sorry I'm late.

You're welcome bro...join the late comers row at the back grin

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by 100naira(m): 6:13pm On Sep 06, 2021
Kaycee7:
did you bring the small chops and Heineken, we have been waiting for days? angry cheesy
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Qu3sT(m): 7:43pm On Sep 06, 2021
Kaycee7:
Chei! Wetin we do Oga Vince? He couldn't just let us have this one ray of sunshine.
being a wrestling fan is mostly pain with little respite, that's why the good moments become great.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 8:39pm On Sep 06, 2021
100naira:
did you bring the small chops and Heineken, we have been waiting for days? angry cheesy
I carry garri and sugar come. Bring water and serve yourself.

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by 100naira(m): 10:28pm On Sep 06, 2021
Kaycee7:
I carry garri and sugar come. Bring water and serve yourself.
purple bring 5 bottles of Eva water, at all at all better pass nothing, speaking "sapa-tically of course grin cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:13am On Sep 07, 2021
100naira:
purple bring 5 bottles of Eva water, at all at all better pass nothing, speaking "sapa-tically of course grin cheesy

You guys can start without me, I'm watching my sugar levels grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:29am On Sep 07, 2021
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Turmoil is Putting it Mildly
Before we even get into this, props to Xavier Woods for getting a “phrasing” in during the New Day’s opening promo. Any Archer reference just makes the world a better place.
Anyway, Tag Team Turmoil always hits a sweet spot for me. They’re fun, showcase a lot of talent, and normally tell one overarching story with multiple smaller stories playing in the background. Tonight’s version was no exception. RK-Bro needed new challengers, and seven teams answered the call. Including the New Day.
The main story was New Day’s greatness. Well, actually, it was their refusal to quit and how much punishment they were willing to sustain for a title shot. Everything was going pretty well until the team of Mace and T-Bar, WWE’s version of “fetch,” showed they’re the sorest losers in history. They decimated Woods and Kofi, along with Mustafa Ali and Mansoor as they made their way to the ring. Riddle, sitting ringside with Randy Orton, wanted to help the New Day. But Randy held him back. It was a subtle moment of character development and illustrates Randy’s goal to teach Riddle a thing or two.
After Adam Pearce and Sonya Deville—the worst management team ever—stepped in to stop the carnage, they decreed that not only would Tag Team Turmoil continue later in the show, but The Almighty WWE Champion Bobby Lashley and the less-mighty MVP would compete as well.
At that point, I saw the writing on the wall in bright neon.
When Tag Team Turmoil continued, Xavier and Kofi just couldn’t compete against AJ Styles and Omos. Impossible. How could they? Besides the wear and tear from killing it earlier, there was also the wear and tear from almost getting killed earlier. Plus, last week’s episode told us Styles, Omos, MVP, and Bobby Lashley were going to tango. We switched from a story of the New Day’s perseverance to putting the focus squarely back on Lashley and Randy.
Bobby and MVP got a hero’s welcome in MVP’s hometown, and with the crowd firmly on their side, they defeated AJ and Omos to earn a tag team title match next week.
But wait, there’s more!
Post-match, with MVP out for the count, Lashley got a jackknife chokeslam powerbomb from Styles’ personal colossus, and an RKO because Randy is Randy.
Now we have an enraged WWE Champion—a self admitted greedy bastard—with an opportunity for more gold next week. Anything with RK-Bro is a great look at this point, so I’m down. This is a simple story of two guys who don’t like each other in Randy and Bobby, and they both want what the other has. Whether their respective partnerships are tested is another issue entirely, but maybe there’s no need to complicate it.
Lashley took a beating after getting a chance to get tag gold around his waist. More importantly, he was embarrassed. Next week, we find out what the consequences of those actions are and how much blood gets spilt as a result.

We Have a New Old Challenger
Someone make this make sense. Damian Priest defeated Drew McIntyre and Sheamus last week in a match that hit harder than cooked food after an intense workout. No shenanigans either; he pinned Drew O’Mac in the ring. Now, those same two cats are going one-on-one for the right to face the same guy who beat them last week? WWE gave us a match they gave us before on multiple occasions, to pave the way a different version of the same match we got last week? These two actually got rewarded for losing?
Meh.
It’s uncreative, lazy, and a waste of all that talent in the back. Rather than using this opportunity to catapult someone else and put them in a feud with Priest, we’re getting...the guy Damian beat for the title at SummerSlam.
But it was a good match! McIntyre and Sheamus don’t put on clunkers. It continued the night’s theme of pain tolerance and how much punishment is one willing to go through to get the W. These two even used each other’s signature moves to no avail. Sheamus and Drew no each other so well, someone needed to do something out of the ordinary to win.
That person was Sheamus, who got the win with the aide of a hand full of tights after about 20 minutes. But this whole review thing isn’t just about the match; it’s about the larger story. Not only does it not make sense, it’s a rerun. And I’m not a fan of reruns, especially when there are more interesting options at catering.
Sheamus now gets his second rematch for the United States Championship at Extreme Rules. Good for him.

Anything You Can Do, I Can Do...Almost As Good
WWE struck gold with RK-Bro. It was only a matter of time before someone said, “Hey, let’s do that again, just not as great!”
We now have two odd couple tag teams on the same show, playing the exact same roles, and the tag team champs for their respective divisions. Rhea Ripley steps into the Randy Orton role as someone begrudgingly along for the ride, while Nikki A.S.H. is almost too sweet for her own good as Riddle. And since she’s almost a superhero, she can get just as high as him, too.
Of course, Nikki and Rhea are missing the months of storytelling and character development we got with Randy and Riddle. It’s like a secondary school student who didn’t read the textbooks, And copied the assignments instead, only to fail the test because they prepped for multiple choice instead of essays.
The match didn’t really matter since it was a quickie that served to coronate the latest odd couple, Super Brutality.
It’s just weird how unoriginal this company is at times. Even to the point where Corey Graves mentioned on-air that Super Brutality is RK-Bro redux. Just because WWE acknowledges the elephant in the room doesn’t make it any less of an elephant.

FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT!
The most interesting happening last week was Nia Jax and Charlotte Flair doing a staged fight until an actual one almost broke out. That gave way to tonight’s rematch, but with the added juice of the Raw Women’s Championship on the line. It started hot with a worked shoot, clearly leaning into what happened last week. They fake beat the snot out of each other, resulting in Charlotte threatening to walk out of the match, even telling Nia to “suck it” several times.
I chuckled heartily.
This was less about Charlotte and Nia and more about Shayna Baszler and Nia. Shayna, with all of her chest, said her “friend” would choke. Shayna interfered twice in the match. The first time, she almost clotheslined her partner. Accident? Sure. But the second time? When she got on the ring apron and distracted Nia from taking the momentum during the match? Completely on purpose. Charlotte hit her distracted opponent with Natural Selection from the top rope and the ref counted three.
The match didn’t last long but I liked the physicality. I’m not sure if Charlotte and Nia have any chemistry but they clearly like beating the hell out of each other. But like I said, it really didn’t matter. Nia and Shayna need to handle whatever beef is between them, while Charlotte now finds herself in the gaze of Alexa Bliss and Lilly.
Alexa wants Charlotte’s title, which means we can all look forward to WWE announcing the first doll to ever hold a WWE Championship. You know why? Because Chucky starts next month. If you think WWE and USA’s parent company won’t engage in brand cross-promotion to uphold the sanctity of a title, then you clearly just woke up from a very long coma.
Welcome to 2021! We have so much to talk about.

The rest
Is the drip stick not a foreign object? John Morrison x Karrion Kross squared off because the latter insulted the former during what looked like a pre-recorded “Moist TV.” Early on, in front of the ref, mind you, Johnny sprayed Kross with the drip stick. No bell. No nothing. Kross got the win as the water in the face just pissed him off.

Reggie and Akira Tozawa kinda sorta fought for the 24/7 championship. Reggie won—duh—and out came the rest of the men’s roster. Including a few who should holla at Damian Priest for a U.S. championship shot. Drake Maverick, fresh off the ass whooping on last Tuesday, made a surprise appearance and just stared. I don’t care.

Doudrop challenged Eva Marie to a match next week. She also declared this is the beginning of the Doudrop-elution. It doesn’t roll off the tongue, but I’ll allow it.

No ifs and or buts about it, this was episode of Monday Night Raw was not very good. Tag Team Turmoil served its purpose and bookended three very long hours of television. We got repetitive stories told haphazardly, and set ups for a few things that aren’t interesting. Raw still struggles giving a reason to care or make matches truly matter.
Better luck next week? Here’s hoping.

Grade: D+
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:34am On Sep 07, 2021
But seriously, a doll is about to get a title shot

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:20am On Sep 08, 2021
Watch this if you have the time. This is great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgFeGjfUY3k

What a time to be a fan eh?

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:20am On Sep 08, 2021
ValeeLove:

its AEW All Out Fall Out by the way.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:41am On Sep 08, 2021
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

It’s a Party
Have you seen Bachelor Party starring Tom Hanks? Yeah, these bachelorette and bachelor parties were nothing like that. For one, that was the 1980s and a completely different world. Two, this is still a family show. And lastly, Indi Hartwell and Dexter Lumis deserve parties as weird and adorable as their love.
It says something about the work NXT put into both of these characters and their relationship where these segments are a highlight of the show. Any wrestler will tell you, especially the older ones, that if you do your job as a character, the crowd will go with anything you do in or outside of the ring.
NXT’s last episode of an era gave us an awkward bachelorette party filled with snark, one-liners, and people who weren’t even Indi’s friends. In typical ‘80s rom-com fashion, Indi and Candice LeRae even ducked out of Indi’s party early—how rude—to spy on the bachelor party.
While we got silly moments with go karts, axe throwing, moon bounces, and laser tag. it was all building to one moment. For weeks, Indi wanted Johnny Gargano to accept the love of her life. After last week’s cuss show, that looked like a dream deferred.
However, after a day of bonding, working together as a team, and Dex helping Daddy Wrestling whenever possible, the two finally exchanged a high-five. Sure, Johnny got bumped into it, but it was a big moment for everyone involved. Indi and Candice came out of “hiding” and the former was overjoyed that her fiancé finally “cracked Johnny’s nut.”
Maybe their wedding won’t be a mess next week like almost every other wedding in the history of wrestling weddings. Maybe, just maybe, Johnny is finally ready to let his little girl run away with a man who stalked his way into her heart.
I have my suspicions that Johnny is just waiting to explode and make it a day to forget for the blushing bride. I really hope that I’m wrong.

MSK, All Night x All Day
MSK wanted Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan. The NXT Tag Team Champions are on a mission for respect, and they’re taking on any and everyone to get it. Lorcan and Burch wanted back what they felt was rightfully theirs. Like the women’s tag title match, this match was a clash in styles.
Lorcan and Burch had the early advantage exerting raw power over the champs. Seriously, these are big cats and MSK just can’t compete in that department. Nash Carter was lost in the early onslaught of submissions, dropkicks, uppercuts, and suplexes.
In fact, Carter took the brunt of the beating during the main event, as it became clear we were seeing a story of a team outmatched in size but not in heart.
The highlight of the match came when Carter went to the top rope one too many times and caught a couple knees in his back on the way down.
Lorcan slapped an ankelock on him in the middle of the ring, while Burch put Lee in a crossface just as Lee went to save his partner. This was it, right? Carter was a prime target the entire match and there was no way to save him.
Not so fast. Carter found a way to not only break the hold, but fling Lorcan with just enough force to breakup the crossface and save his partner.
It’s the little things, ya know?
In the end, Lorcan and Burch just didn’t have the will, and MSK scored the pinfall with their trademark tandem offense.
At what point do the champs stop fighting for respect? I’m not sure, but after every victory, we’re told to “put respect on MSK’s name.” Who doesn’t respect these cats at this point? I like the story of their reign but it needs to find another gear after successive victories over big, bad opponents
Speaking of which, Pete Dunne and the man with the best hat in the business, Ridge Holland, were none too pleased about this defeat. They added insult to injury and issued Lorcan and Burch their walking papers in the form of a beatdown. One feud ends, another begins, as Dunne and Holland clearly see those two as the weak links in the chain.

Bad Friends, Great Partners
Can a relationship of convenience topple an actual friendship? That’s the main question going into the NXT Women’s Tag Team Championship match. Kacy Catanzaro x Kayden Carter are friends to the end. They even went to Indi’s bachelorette party together! Io Sharai x Zoey Stark? Yeah, they’re clearly just business partners, despite how much Zoey wants that to change.
Zoey and Io need to not only defend their titles, but prove their business arrangement has long-term potential. Meanwhile the challengers, after months of hard work and demanding it, have to prove they’re truly read to say, “The champs are here!”
I guess friendship is overrated. There’s one moment that crystalizes this match: Zoey inadvertently bumps her partner off of the ring apron. At that moment, Kayden has the momentum! She pulls a reverse STO out of her bag of tricks, and has the match won. That’s it. That’s over. Goodnight, everybody!
But about 9 minutes into the match she craved, Kayden hesitates. The CWC is screaming for her to pin Zoey and win the gold. But she can’t do it without her best friend. She finally gets up after wasting all of that time, tags Kacy, and they hit a tag team electric chair from the top rope. Match is over, right? Nope.
Io gathered herself during all that wasted time, broke up the pin attempt, and effectively stole the momentum back from the challengers.
Zoey tags in Io, who hits a gorgeous moonsault from the top rope, and the champs retain.
Gotta feel bad for the Kacy and Kayden. And I really do! They had the gold in their hands but showed they just weren’t ready to win. It’s a cliche sports term, but that doesn’t make it any less true. No matter how great of a team they are or how great of a friendship they have, it’s nothing compared to the experience of the champs, particularly Io Sharai.
To make matters worse, Kacy and Kayden got jumped by Batman disguised as Mandy Rose, Gigi Dolin, and Jacy Jayne. I figured they’d go after Sarray for “disfiguring” Mandy, but Gigi and Jacy didn’t forget getting embarrassed by these two a couple weeks ago. Who knows what’s next for the tag champs, but NXT’s resident social media queens have their hands full with violence.

Bad Moon Rising
Last week, Kay Lee Ray baited Ember Moon into a match. Ray said the former NXT Woman’s champ was a thing of the past and Ray is the future. Like any competitor in any sport, the idea of someone calling you a has been got under Ember’s skin and she issued a challenge.
Again, exactly what Kay wanted.
The two engaged in a scientific brawl, targeting body parts and issuing submissions. The type of thing you do when you want to humiliate your opponent and make them cry auntie. Ember wanted to prove she’s still the competitor she says she is, while Kay wanted to knock off a legend and prove she belongs.
Neither wanted to submit, neither wanted to give in to a 3-count. Ember, even after getting her shoulder dissected for most of the match, refused to tap and give Kay the satisfaction.
In the end, it was Ember’s frustration got the best of her. She put Ray in an over-the-shoulder Michinoku Driver but even after suffering a move that looks like it hurts a whole damn lot, Ray refused to stay down. Ember lost focus for one moment to let out a yell of anguish, providing an Kay an opening to drop a KLR Bomb.
1-2-3.
Great opening match with a lot of pride on the line, and a lot to gain or lose for both women. Kay Lee Ray moves forward with a huge notch in her belt, while Ember is now a bit of adrift.
Her tag partner is gone, she’s on a serious losing streak, and as she said, something has to change. I like it. Quick follow-up on a story the commentators were telling, and gives us something else to look forward to during next week’s “rebrand.”
The winner and loser of a match need to have a destination post-match. NXT accomplished that multiple times tonight, and props to them for doing so.

The rest
Fatal Four Way Explainers
LA Knight, Kyle O’Reilly, Pete Dunne, and Tommaso Ciampa will duke it out next week in a Fatal 4-Way to determine the numero uno contender for the NXT Championship. Knight, O’Reilly, and Ciampa cut promos detailing their motivations, with O’Reilly’s being the best of the bunch for my money. We get a this next week and a wedding? I don’t know which to be more excited for.

Escobar Season has Returned
This was a case of finding the right outcome that didn’t hurt either man and NXT did that. Carmelo Hayes showed he can hang with Santos Escobar but like me in math class, the numbers weren’t in his favor. Legado del Fantasma interfered and shenanigans ensued. Escobar gets the W he needs, Hayes looks good in defeat since the bad guys cheated, and Elektra Lopez showed her worth and sheer power.

Hit Row with a Attitude
This was simple. Hit Row wants revenge on Legado del Fantasma for what happened last week. NXT is obviously saving something for next week since it makes all the sense in the world for them to get their revenge on this episode. Each member spoke their peace, with B-FAB letting Elektra Lopez know she started something she won’t get a chance to finish. A hard head does indeed make for a soft ass.
As much as I’m enjoying this feud, it feels like it’s stuck. Hopefully Ms. Lopez changes things and this means a match between her and B-FAB is in the near future.

Grand Opening Grand Closing
Chuckie Viola & Paxton Averill got fed to the Diamond Mine’s newest members, the Creed Brothers. Brutus and Julius ended the match before the commentators broke a sweat calling it.

That Was Quick
Mei Ying wanted to send a message to Boa. Taking out Virginia Ferry (I get it!), the poor woman who didn’t even get an entrance, in dominating fashion is a way to do it.

This is the end, but maybe not entirely. NXT will look different next week but it will probably feel the same in its attention to detail and character development. As long as that doesn’t change, there’s nothing to fear.
Right? Next week we get a wedding, a Fatal 4-Way, and an NXT Women’s title match between Raquel González and Franky Monet. Oh, and a lot of bright colors.

Grade: A
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:51am On Sep 08, 2021
ValeeLove:

Daniel Bryan knows how to get me Emotional...every fvcking time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 12:27pm On Sep 11, 2021
WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Edge Pro-Max
Life is fragile. The human body is resilient, yes, but it can only take so much. Getting a second chance following a traumatic injury, then, is deeply meaningful, for all the obvious reasons. Making the most of it is downright heroic.
Losing yourself in service of that is not.
I’ve certainly been known to follow my own interpretation of WWE stories a bit too far but it sure looks to me like that’s the story WWE has been telling with Edge and Seth Rollins. The former, incensed at the latter for ruining his chance at winning back the title he was forced to relinquish due to his bad neck over a decade ago, went to the darkest of places to exact his revenge. And he got it.
But at what cost?
We’ve learned the answer to that now — maybe everything.
Rollins, it so happens, is just as willing to go to that dark place, so he traveled right down to the depths with Edge. Only he was taking notes. His willingness to implement what he learned was on full display in this match. Hell, he was using Beth Phoenix’s finisher. Edge’s wife, the mother of his children, had unwittingly provided a blueprint for one of his enemies to inflict pain upon him only because Rollins was despicable enough to actually use it.
But, again, how did he get there?
Edge-lite, remember?
It came to a head late in the match with a very powerful moment. Rollins hit Edge with a low blow — the referee didn’t catch it, of course — and then kicked his bad knee out from under him, and then kicked him in the head. Edge stood all the way up, directly into another superkick, this one dropping him to his knees. At that moment, he looked up and gave us this scene:
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/m_RF8sVdCso3uLupN7ZKUBiAY4Y=/0x0:1889x1054/1120x0/filters:focal(0x0:1889x1054):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/22841850/staredown.png

Edge is hurt. On the brink of collapse. And then it happens. He’s aware enough to look directly at Rollins and he gets this resigned look on his face.
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/D8x-pyuxhcnKHrgGFg7x1VqWVK8=/0x0:1862x1059/1120x0/filters:focal(0x0:1862x1059):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/22841849/Edge_face.png

This is what he sees staring back at him:
https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/uJVUGDSJ3iJb7P4w8mCwG4quk_I=/0x0:1888x1054/1120x0/filters:focal(0x0:1888x1054):format(webp):no_upscale()/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/22841848/Rollins_face.png

Radical. Crazed. All too willing to do what Edge knows comes next. And he accepts it. He understands what he has done, what led them both to this very moment, how far away he let himself get from what mattered most to him, and, most importantly, what it has cost him. He understands, and he accepts it. When Rollins gets up to superkick him again, Edge doesn’t even brace for the impact.
He accepts it.
The kick lands and he limply falls over. Still, he sits back up and once again looks to Rollins, that same resigned look on his face. He eats another kick. Again, he doesn’t even brace for the impact.
Finally, he starts to sit himself up and Rollins deals the coup de grâce with the Curb Stomp. McAfee can be heard saying “it felt like Edge knew this was over.” He did. He absolutely knew, and he accepted his fate. It was all he could do. It was his penance.
Immediately after the Stomp, Rollins looked downright orgasmic. And then something changed within him, and the visual representation of that was his reaction at looking down at his fallen foe and bearing witness to what he had done. He looked almost confused, and maybe even a little afraid. Of what, though? The potential fallout? The harsh reality of his actions laid bare before him? In an interview shortly after, he tried to work through all this and couldn’t.
“Maybe I don’t feel anything at all.”
It was deeply unsettling, and left a lot of questions regarding just what the hell this means for both of them. What’s next for Edge, if anything at all? Who has Rollins become, and what does it mean for his future?
Brilliant performances all around here. Just outstanding work from all involved.

“If the aliens came down to fight a human, this is the one we would send.”
That was how Pat McAfee introduced Brock Lesnar, who returned to SmackDown for this special show at Madison Square Garden just moments after the New York City crowd was loudly cheering for Roman Reigns. It’s exactly the kind of commentary we’ve come to love Pat Mac for, because that’s how you get a guy over from the desk while he stalks around the ring looking like just the baddest son of a bitch around town.
I don’t care what anyone says, when Lesnar and Reigns come face-to-face, even all these years after they did it the first time, it feels electric.
That alone is enough to make me love this but they’ve added a whole lot of intrigue with Paul Heyman, whose loyalty has come into question from both sides. For his part, Heyman is actively playing each side of it and he’s doing so in such a way that it feels genuinely like he doesn’t want to have to be put to a choice. He acknowledges Reigns as his Tribal Chief, but he is an advocate for Lesnar.
How each handled the situation on this show says so much about the two of them.
Lesnar, who is every bit the savvy businessman, as equally adept at securing the best deal for himself as he is at maiming people, used the threat of violence to get Heyman to give him what he wanted. He appeared as though he was going to follow through on this but didn’t get the chance.
That’s because Reigns made the save, a point he was sure to drive home to Heyman later in the show. Literally. “I saved you,” he said. Not once, but twice. “I saved you.” Whereas Lesnar uses brute force, Reigns is the worst kind of manipulator, a guy who will gaslight you into submission.
Heyman, in both cases, remained quiet. He didn’t give in to Brock’s demand, and he never answered Roman’s question.
The pieces continue to move about the chess board as the buttons are flipped back and forth, the clock ticking down to the inevitable clash. The question remains: on which side will Heyman be standing at the conclusion of it?

All the rest
I would like to give WWE a lot of credit for their absolutely fantastic use of a celebrity guest appearance from Atlanta Hawks star Trae Young. They didn’t even announce it was happening beforehand, it was a great deal of fun for the local crowd, was done in such a way to make said local crowd happy, and it wasn’t overdone in the slightest. This was perfect.

I also want to give a lot of credit to Bianca Belair — she finally hit the talking points I’ve been expecting her to since SummerSlam, by the way — who has stood across from Becky Lynch and looked every bit the top babyface star WWE hoped she could be. Lynch leaning into her bad side, with the outrageous fur coat, those ridiculous shades, and her backhanded remarks, makes this story the easy home run it seemed destined to be before all the confusion over character alignment. They were probably always getting here, and it’s been a damn good ride either way, but this is great.

The Usos vs. The Street Profits was predictably awesome, considering those two teams always have fun matches, even with the disqualification finish. Even that made sense, considering the story we’re getting with Reigns and his family and the way they treat everything and everyone around them.

The Demon has returned, and while it seems fairly obvious Reigns is winning at Extreme Rules, this is the kind of special occasion that calls for, well, something special. While it may not create any real doubt in the eventual outcome, it does make for some additional intrigue in how the match itself will play out.

I absolutely loved this show from start to finish.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 7:56am On Sep 13, 2021
Finn really brought Demon Balor back to take an L from Reigns. Cos no way is he winning at Extreme Rules.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:29am On Sep 13, 2021
Kaycee7:
Finn really brought Demon Balor back to take an L from Reigns. Cos no way is he winning at Extreme Rules.

What if he wins?

[img]https://c./MT36oijN46EAAAAM/what-if-what-is-happening.gif[/img]

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 10:36am On Sep 13, 2021

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 12:25pm On Sep 13, 2021
Kaycee7:

Party time at Balor Club grin grin

[img]https://c./7Yi7CbANhZAAAAAC/finn-balor-demon.gif[/img]

you will send location of the turn up venue

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 1:32pm On Sep 13, 2021
pu7pl3:

you will send location of the turn up venue
For sure
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 4:12pm On Sep 13, 2021
Kaycee7:
For sure

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 9:18am On Sep 14, 2021
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Let’s talk about Big E for a moment. Cool? Cool.
Raw opened with Big E standing in the middle of the ring with Randy Orton and the All Mighty WWE Champion Bobby Lashley. E’s presence gave the segment extra juice, as he played the role of Bugs Bunny while Lashley and Orton, two very serious cats, traded verbal shots.
E’s gift is how adaptable he is. You want funny? He’s got you. You want serious? He’s got you. You want emotional? He’s got you there, too. Oh, and he’s a powerhouse who looks like he can whoop ass on command.
He’s a legitimate threat to Orton and Lashley, and a much needed fly in the ointment that is the WWE Championship picture. On a brand filled with thinly-drawn characters, the New Day member is a hell of a contrast. Plus, I have it on good authority that he indeed does rock.
When Randy and Bobby All Mighty wrestled in tonight’s main event, they did so knowing the artist formerly known as Langston waited in the wings to cash-in his Money in the Bank contract. On a night where WWE gave us stakes up and down the card, they saved the most tension for the final match.
Randy and Bobby battled hard. Randy tried, often in vain, to match Lashley’s power. Yeah, no bueno, sir. The more he used his speed and wits, the better. He even managed to put an RKO on the champ. And if not for MVP’s typical clutch behavior, maybe he wins the match.
That’s the genius of MVP’s character. Randy took his eye off the prize to RKO Montel, which gave the champ enough time to recover. As soon as Randy got back into the ring, Lashley speared him—his second of the match—and the ref counted three.
But like Randy said, Lashley is a greedy son of a...you know the rest. He added insult to injury and put Orton in a spinebuster on the commentary table. Unfortunately for the champ. he messed up his knee in the process. As he limped back into the ring, Big E’s music hit.
E survived a spear, fisticuffs, and everything else Lashley threw at him. But the challenger came to play tonight and after calling his shot like Babe Ruth, he knew he had to win.
And win he did.
After one Big Ending and a three-count, E was crowned the winner and NEW WWE CHAMPION. The champ celebrated with his New Day brothers and the rest of Kofi Kingston’s hometown, and the show faded to black.
THAT is how you tell a story from start to finish. Randy and Bobby? One chapter is over and the next awaits. Bobby’s greediness? Comes back to haunt him. Big E picking his moment and predicting said moment? Perfect.

The Queen of Spades x The Queen x Alexa
For the record, I’m not a fan of WWE’s storytelling trope where a competitor gets a title shot when they defeat the champion. I can go into a litany of reasons why but number one at the top of the list is it’s a boring way to do it. But, it is what it is and my dislike of the trope shouldn’t take away from the match itself.
With that said, Shayna Baszler and Charlotte Flair had a good match. We saw the ending coming from a mile away—Nia Jax doing to her partner what was done to her last week—but the two women told a nice story of evenly matched competitors. It was physical but not in the way Nia and Charlotte was last week and certainly not their Tyson vs. Holyfield brawl from two weeks ago.
Both women effectively portrayed Shayna as a threat who, without interference, might present a true challenge to the Queen. But like I said, the ending was telegraphed and there was only one way it could end. Nia came to ringside, stood on the apron when her partner had the champ on the ropes, and distracted her long enough for Charlotte to get the pin.
We’re now getting closer to Shayna and Nia dissolving their partnership at Extreme Rules (possibly) while Charlotte is free to focus on Alexa Bliss, who just so happened to make her way to the ring with a gift in hand.
I like Alexa. I really do. I don’t think this character is the best use of her talents right now because she’s in stasis with the gimmick since Bray Wyatt got his walking papers, but she’s doing the best with what she has.
When she pokes holes in Charlotte’s persona, as she did in this segment, it’s fun and shows why Alexa, like Big E, brings a different energy to the title picture.
She presented Charlotte with a doll of her own, Charly, and said that even a “narcissistic, self-absorbed bitch” like Flair needs a friend. She said all of that with her chest, which is why it got quotations.
Charlotte, never one to let someone being nice stop her from being her, rejected the gift and a fight ensued because it’s wrestling. Alexa showed Charlotte she’s a serious threat, doll or no doll. and sent the Queen home with her title tucked between her legs.
A clash in styles makes for good matches and, hopefully, good stories. WWE can and should firmly focus on the story they want to tell for their Raw Women’s Championship match. If they do, these two could do something pretty good at Extreme Rules.
Just please don’t make it all about dolls.

The rest
WWE Welcomes Us to the Ocho
The New Day x Mustafa Ali & Mansoor hooked up to go four-on-four with AJ Styles, Omos and Extinction. All four teams were involved in last week’s Tag Team Turmoil, so why not continue that fun and tease out new stories? The most impressive spot was Omos throwing three men out of the ring like children before turning Mustafa into roadkill.
Story? Omos is the equation that changes any match he’s in, and no one knows how to solve him.

The Puerto Rican Cupid Hits the Mark
Jeff Hardy is riding the rocket to stardom, isn’t he? Last week, he’s involved in a 24-7 title scrum. This week? He’s challenging for the United States Championship. On a side note, am I the only one amazed that after all these years, Jeff still finds jeans in that style that fit? Hardy always parties like its 1999 and he’s got the fashion sense to prove it.
That fashion sense didn’t help him here, as Damian Priest put him down with a Reckoning.
Sheamus was on commentary and, shock, attacked Priest and Hardy when the match ended. Even after catching Priest off guard, Sheamus still can’t find the right combination to get the New Yorker off his feet. To be continued...

Drake Maverick Has a Scheme or a Plot to Make it to the Top
More 24-7 chicanery highlighting Reggie’s penchant for parkour. while, gasp, giving this title an actual story. Or at the least, intrigue. Drake Maverick is making moves to get the title off of Reggie. Much like Blofeld in From Russia With Love, he says the plan is solid, but the people executing said plan are the problem.
Sounds like we’re getting Maverick x Reggie in some form. Not sure if it’ll be an official match or just the normal organized chaos, but this is a nice wrinkle.

Meaty Men Slapping
First off, Jimmy Smith is a liar. Straight up and down, he lied on national television.
“The big sword Drew McIntyre is not afraid to use.”
Oh really, Jimmy? When has Drew O’Mac ever once used it? If he was really about that action, Drew would show Jinder Mahal, Shanky, and Veer what it means to get crossed when you cross him. Say what you will about Mr. Yamaguchi-San, but at least he didn’t carry a sword around as a fashion accessory.
Anyway, not much to talk about here. Drew and The Viking Raiders made proper work of Jinder and his boys. A couple moves and a Claymore to Shanky got them the win. On a night filled with stakes, this was the lone “so what?”

Nikki Almost Had Supper But Got Tamina Instead
Sonya Deville misspoke and called WWE’s superhero, “Nikki A.H.S.” It got a hearty chuckle out of me as I figured out what that new name means. I went with Almost Had Supper.
But I digress. As prep for their tag team championship match, Super Brutality got individual matches with the current champs. Tamina and Nikki put on an okay affair, with the latter getting the W and a severe beatdown at the hands of the champs.
Rhea Ripley and Natalya, in comparison, put on a longer bout and traded momentum like Pokémon cards. The dreaded numbers game almost got the better of Ripley when Tamina threatened to interfere, which brought out a hobbling Nikki to the rescue.
Rhea got the win and the challengers proved when push comes to shove as it often does in pro wrestling, they can handle the champs.

And the Winner Is...
Doudrop x Eva Marie did a thing. While I’m on record liking the idea of Doudrop reclaiming her time, we need to wrap this thing up and go home. Doudrop mercifully ended the match and hopefully, the feud.

Karrion Kross Sounds Totally Krossed Out
So on one hand, Karrion Kross says he’s not sure what his ultimate reasoning is for carving a path of destruction through Raw. But then he says his plan is to run through everyone until they all have no choice but to fall and pray. It looked cool and seems like an actual direction for him, even if it sounds a bit muddled. Presenting him in a suit with the dry ice machine on looks a lot better than his first impression. Even better if he’s a psychopath in a suit who just wants to beat people up because they exist. I dig it.

On their first night going head-to-head with Monday Night Football, Raw delivered the goods. We had stakes, good matches, and a title change that made sense. Were there a few meh moments? Of course. But the overall consistency and forward momentum is enough to paper over those flaws.
Oh, and we got a new WWE Champion that made me yell in my living room like I was 12 again.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:00am On Sep 15, 2021
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Ladies and gentleman, boys and girls, children of all ages! Welcome to the [s]Capital Wrestling Center WWE Performance Center[/s] brightly-lit home of NXT 2.0! I don’t know about you, but when I look at that logo and that arena, I think of Zumba pants and the mid-1990s. The show looks more like an independent wrestling promotion now than it did before, which is certainly a choice.
The weirdest thing about the show is the “NXT 2.0” title and constant references. It doesn’t make sense, it’s weird branding, and once again, evokes the ‘90s. Do you remember dial-up modems, parachute pants, and cassette decks? NXT 2.0 remembers.
Let’s talk NXT...2.0. Ugh.

The Greatest Love of All-Time
Let’s not bury the lede: Dexter Lumis spoke.
I saw it with my own two eyes and heard it with my ears. While he didn’t have much to say by way of vows—a thumbs up goes a long way apparently—he did muster the brain power to say “I do.” It was a great payoff and character moment, while also proving me wrong in the process.
Anyone who reads this space on the regular knows I believed this wedding was doomed because it’s wrestling. Also, that was the buildup right? Nope.
The story wasn’t building to an end of Indi Hartwell and Dexter Lumis, or even a fight between Dexter and Johnny “Daddy” Gargano. This was was all about Dexter’s development as a character. He showed human characteristics, made two genuine connections, and finally spoke. The fact that his first words were inspired by the woman he loves is pretty profound and beautiful. And yeah, it’s silly too because it’s wrestling.
The wedding was worth the wait and every single minute NXT spent on it. I’ll gladly put a glass of tea or water in the air for the happy couple. Especially because the groom carries an axe in his jacket and I don’t want that type of static.

Goldie Comes Home
For those of you late to the party, Samoa Joesph relinquished the NXT Championship due to injury. What injury? The world may never know, but his absence means the numero uno contender Fatal 4-Way turned into a coronation match for a new ruler of the NXT 2.0 roost.
Would it be former Million Dollar Champion LA Knight? Or perhaps Pete Dunne? Would Tommaso Ciampa get to finish a story that was so rudely interrupted due to injury all those years ago? Or would Kyle O’Reilly finally get the gold around his waist?
Yeah, about that last option. Earlier in the night, Dunne and Ridge Holland rushed Kyle like it was Black Friday and he was a Walmart security guard. With Kyle out of commission and a main event spot open, we got the new cat Von Wagner. Intrigue, right?
It was clear from the opening bell this night belonged to Ciampa. He had the best story going in, and did everything he could to make a four-way dance into a one-on-one competition with anyone in his way. He was also the most focused. Pete Dunne clearly had Kyle on the brain, LA Knight had issues earlier in the night that we’ll get to later, and yeah, the new guy wasn't winning. This was a match built around one man’s determined to do anything in his power to get back what he never loss.
Each contestant had moments of domination. LA Knight and Dunne both hit their finishers but alas, it’s hard to win a match when at least two other men have enough strength to break up pins.
Like I said, this was Ciampa’s night. Eventually, the Fatal 4-Way devolved into what most Fatal 4-Ways devolve into, which is chaos. Wagner was out cold on the floor, and Ciampa was recovering on the outside from a vicious German Suplex courtesy of Dunne. Dunne, always too arrogant for his own good, decided that was the time to go to the top rope and put the finishing touches on Ciampa.
However, his arrogance and hatred for Ciampa blinded him to the fact LA Knight was right there for the taking in the corner of the ring. Knight, always the opportunist, made him pay for that oversight.
Knight ran to the top rope with blood leaking out his forehead and hit a superplex. Before he could even turn around to go for a pin, in came Wagner, who looked prime to steal the title on his first night in the big leagues.
Remember how I said this night was all about Ciampa? He waited in the wings on the outside, hit Wagner harder than a bolt of lightning to break up the pin, and put an already dazed and confused LA Knight to sleep with the Fairytale Ending to become the first champion of NXT 2.0
A solid match, clearly setting up Ciampa as the standard bearer for the Rainbow brand—farewell black and gold—while setting up Wagner as someone to reckon with down the line. LA Knight took two pins in one night, leaving him wandering aimlessly right now. Dunne, on the other hand, has a date with Kyle because vengeance is always on the menu in wrestling.

The rest
Speaking of the ‘90s...
NXT 2.0—no, I will not stop thinking this is a stupid name—set it off with LA Knight x Rex Steiner Brown Breaker in a contest because of the former’s arrogance. Breaker wanted to say hi, LA Knight was in no mood for pleasantries on the night of his big main event match, so yeah, they wrestled.
Breaker’s spot here feels like a thesis statement for NXT 2.0. He is the type of cat WWE wants to develop going forward, complete with a name and look straight out of 1995. His upset win over Knight in the opening match of the night, along with the closing credit stare down with the Champion Ciampa, speak louder than any words ever could.

She Be Fabulous
Peak behind the curtain, but Fabolous ruined me and an entire generation. I misspelled “fabulous” all because I have his voice in my head.
B-FAB made her in-ring debut beating up on Katrina Cortez. Looks like she’s going with the Rude Awakening as her finisher, which fits her frame, style, and character really well. The match didn’t last long enough to get a feel for her in the ring though, so the jury is still at least somewhat out on that regard.
We did get yet another tease of her and Elektra Lopez going one-on-one though. The interaction ended abruptly, but they need to do this thing sooner than later because for me, this feud is starting to lose its juice.

Bout It Bout It?
First off, shoutout to Master P. NXT 2.0 is clearly all about the ‘90s tonight.
Carmelo Hayes introduced Trick Williams to the world as his backup since he’s got a target on his back. After exchanging pleasantries built around late ‘90s slang, Williams told his partner he needs an attitude adjustment.
No more humility, no more letting stuff slide or being happy to be here. Hayes agrees and as the two leave the ring, Duke Hudson came out for reasons. Hudson disrespected Hayes, which prompted Trick to use the incident as a teachable moment.
Trick and Carmelo jumped Hudson, which on its face, is a very heel thing to do. Sure, we don’t like Hudson, but he didn’t really do anything other than talk a little trash to the guy who beat him. After the two on one beatdown, they posed for the crowd.
In the end, still don’t know why Duke came to the ring, nor do we know who Carmelo plans to challenge—or when he plans to issue said challenge—and he looks kinda like a jerk. I wasn’t feeling it.

Mandy Rose 3.0
I looked away for a second during the Gigi Dolin & Jacy Jayne x Kacy Catanzaro & Kayden Carter match and it turned into six-woman tag.
After a couple moves Mandy Rose 3.0 debuted, now with black hair and different shades of makeup. But, she’s also packing a new attitude, which I’m a fan of. Before the numbers game got the best of Kacy & Kayden, Sarray came out to even the odds. As a result, we got a fun three-on-three tag match with Rose’s new attitude as the focal point. She dominated the match for the most part, showing grit and viciousness I didn’t know she had.
Rose pinned Carter after the latter took her eyes off the prize. Clearly this isn’t over between these six women as Sarray and her Tik Tok teammates need to adjust their strategy to deal with this new incarnation of Ms. Rose and Toxic Attraction.

Diamond Mine Is All About No Carbs Since ‘05
NXT did a lot of things here: Continued pushing the Creed Brothers as a dominant tag team, introduced Ivy Nile as the newest member of the Diamond Mine, and finally set the cruiserweight championship match between Kushida and Roderick Strong.
Looking forward to the match, the Creed boys look legit, and Ivy is swole AF. Also, the woman is carb-free since 2005. Give her props for that alone.

The Imperial
To paraphrase Wade Barrett, some things in NXT will remain the same, no matter how many numbers are in its title. And Imperium dominating tag teams is one of those things. Fabian and Marcel disposed of Brooks Jensen x Josh Briggs with the quickness. After their loss to MSK a couple weeks ago, they need to earn back some street cred in sweat. This was a good start.

The Man w/ the Black Hat x The Man w/ the Plan
Drake Maverick thought he was the smartest man in the world on the most recent edition of Raw. Well, that was then. Doesn’t look too bright today as Ridge Holland ran through him quicker than that stampede Mufasa fell into. Not sure what we’re doing here...

An Offer He Couldn’t Refuse
Let’s keep this short and sweet: I don’t trust WWE to handle Tony D’Angelo’s character with any type of care. The Italian stereotype from Chicago with a family in waste management who sounds ike he’s from Bensonhurst, Brooklyn. Yup, this is a thing now.

This was a weird show for obvious reasons. A lot happened, even if it felt disjointed. We got a mix of NXT vets and new kids on the block. The hope is we learn to care for them as much as we care for the stalwarts. Maybe this is the formula going forward or maybe this was just for the night. Either way, NXT 2.0 is a work in progress.
But Indi and Dex got married and that’s really all that matters.

Grade: B

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:14am On Sep 15, 2021
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 12:11pm On Sep 15, 2021
Nxt 2.0, Hmmm.... The lighting and logo is kinda distracting like a unicorn puked allover the place. In-Dex wedding, speak and forever remain in pieces lolllll. Glad to have ciampa and goldie together again. Interesting to see where this new camelo goes. The Diamond mine is turning out to be a dangerous faction across all the divisions. They need to cool off with the way they're bringing new faces too fast as some might get lost in the shuffle. Rick Steiner jnr is a beast. I don't care about that other Great khali rehash that replaced Kyle oreilly.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 1:46pm On Sep 15, 2021
InDex, abeg make una no complete your caterer payment. Food no reach us for back where we dey angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 2:46pm On Sep 15, 2021
samistry:
Nxt 2.0, Hmmm.... The lighting and logo is kinda distracting like a unicorn puked allover the place. In-Dex wedding, speak and forever remain in pieces lolllll. Glad to have ciampa and goldie together again. Interesting to see where this new camelo goes. The Diamond mine is turning out to be a dangerous faction across all the divisions. They need to cool off with the way they're bringing new faces too fast as some might get lost in the shuffle. Rick Steiner jnr is a beast. I don't care about that other Great khali rehash that replaced Kyle oreilly.

Wagner is nothing like Great Khali bro grin
And don't worry the colours will grow on you...I give them marks for the innovation
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 2:48pm On Sep 15, 2021
Kaycee7:
InDex, abeg make una no complete your caterer payment. Food no reach us for back where we dey angry

Ah, I thought you were at the high table

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 3:32pm On Sep 15, 2021
pu7pl3:

Ah, I thought you were at the high table
Me wey them almost bounce even though I borrow better suit

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:28pm On Sep 15, 2021
Kaycee7:
Me wey them almost bounce even though I borrow better suit

No vex boss grin

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:57am On Sep 18, 2021
WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

The man with the hair knots
There have been so many different folks out in the pro wrestling space who have said time and time again exactly what it is that AEW does so well and how unbelievable it is that it’s some mind blowing thing: they figure out what the fans want, and then they give them that thing.
Now, the nature of the business is such that you oftentimes have to do the opposite of that so that you can build up to a bigger moment. Sometimes, though, there are times when it’s quite obvious that a promotion should give the fans the feel good moment.
The simplest example: a wrestler appearing in their hometown.
There is no more obvious opportunity to present a wrestler in the best way possible than when they are in front of a crowd who will adore everything they say or do, simply for existing as a person who came from that particular town/city. If you set them up as the returning hero, who is being welcomed home to celebrate all of their achievements, their family in the front row to partake in said celebration, well, shit, the script all but writes itself.
WWE doesn’t operate this way. No, Vince McMahon seems to believe that a wrestler in their hometown should always be left laying by the heel to maximize the heat you can get on said heel. That’s sound thinking in theory but it rarely ever happens that way, especially not in today’s pro wrestling space.
You don’t make the fans hate the bad guy — you just deflate the crowd. They’re left feeling badly about the hero they so badly wanted to cheer.
You sacrifice nothing by allowing Belair to get the upper hand on Lynch here. Kane had returned, and everyone loved that, Belair led the crowd in song, and everyone loved that, and they should have capped it off with Bianca putting Becky through that table, because everyone really would have loved that. Instead, the show went off the air with a quiet crowd left feeling badly as Belair was made to look foolish once more. I hope the Dark Matches after the show went off air made the crowd go home happy tho

Your fault
We reached the upper limits of Seth Rollins, actor on this show. As much as I loved everything they did in the Rollins vs. Edge match at Madison Square Garden last week, it was pretty heavy on the drama. It worked for the story they were telling at the time contained to the match itself.
The follow up was always going to be difficult.
That’s because Edge would be going away — for a while, seems like — and Rollins would be left to move forward, into whatever his future will look like after having done the thing. The start of that was a promo where he looked back on what he did and explained how he now feels about it, seeing as he couldn’t find the words just after the dastardly act was committed a mere seven days ago.
He really hammed it up too, talking about how scary it al was and how he can understand everyone feeling so down about it. It took far too long for him to finally get around the main point he was going to make, almost losing me in the process because, again, upper limits of his acting abilities.
Then, mercifully, he got around to it.
What the hell did we expect?
Of course this is what happened. It’s what was destined to happen, after all. To that end, it’s not Rollins who went too far in all this, it’s Edge! He’s the one who knew the risks of getting into the ring with him, and where he would go, and what he would do, and he did it anyway. Seth, then, believes his hands are clean in all this. What’s more, who encouraged Edge’s behavior? Who cheered his decision making all along the way?
You.
Yes, you, dear reader, dear WWE fan, dear live event goer. It’s your fault, just as much as it’s Edge’s fault. It is not, however, Seth Rollins’ fault.
But that’s not even the real issue he’s had with all this — it’s not that he’s been blamed for going too far, after being goaded into going there in the first place. It’s that there came a point after he did it that he actually started to feel sorry for Edge. And that, above all else, is simply unacceptable.
So they’ll do this dance again, because Seth must purge himself of that, because someone like Rollins doesn’t see such a thing as essential to his humanity but rather as a weakness to be pounded into submission. He will sacrifice himself to this pursuit if need be. Edge, then, has been put to a choice — hold court at home and be hunted there, or come back to the ring for once last war to settle the score.
All told, this was about as well as they could have done to get to the trilogy. WWE is a babyface promotion, after all, so Edge is getting his win back down the road. We’ll see how they treat the time and space until then.

All the rest
Roman Reigns and Paul Heyman continued doing their dance around Brock Lesnar and Heyman’s role in all this. He’s now claiming not to be “The Beast’s” advocate anymore, and WWE is leaning pretty heavily into how deeply uncomfortable this all is for the guy who is such a master manipulator. It’s still a good story.
As an aside here: What does it say about Reigns that WWE can’t seem to book three minutes into the future anywhere else but he’s got three different programs they’re working — at the same time, mind you — for matches lined up for the next three or four pay-per-view events?

Rick BOOGS is great and fun and is made even more fun by how much fun Pat McAfee has with him, but it was the height of hilarity when Apollo Crews and Commander Azeez attacked from out of nowhere and McAfee, who had to stop his ridiculous dancing on top of the announce desk, responded by instantly shouting “get me the hell out of here!” Anyway, BOOGS beat Robert Roode in a nothing match before Crews hit the scene to make clear he wants a rematch with King Nakamura for the Intercontinental championship.

Happy Corbin and Kevin Owens got some time on this show but if you blinked you missed it. The latter mentioned taking the former’s smile away in their match and then Corbin attacked him from behind during his entrance and left him there. The match never happened. Yeah.

One of my biggest gripes with WWE is the way they tend to give the women’s division one program for the title, and everyone else is thrown into random tag team shenanigans. It’s a plainly transparent attempt at getting as many women on TV as possible without doing all that much with them. To that end, we end up with a situation where Shotzi & Tegan Nox have been completely ignored after repeatedly scoring wins over the women’s tag team champions and Toni Storm & Liv Morgan get all of two minutes of a match against Carmella & Zelina Vega that ends via count out after Carmella busts her nose on a turnbuckle. There’s some reason for optimism, though. Morgan did challenge Carmella to a singles match at Extreme Rules, and that was accepted, so that’s some progress. Meanwhile, they also booked Morgan vs. Vega in a singles match next week.

Oh, we also got Naomi backstage getting good and pissed off at Sonya Deville again about not booking her for that match she was promised. Later, Michael Cole interrupted the next match with some breaking news that Naomi was fined for insubordination for the way she treated Deville. Casting Naomi as the babyface who is being screwed around by the authority figurehead is a decision I’m fine with, though I’m worried about them ever paying it off, considering the manner in which they’ve handled previous issues between Deville and Adam Pearce.

Finn Balor was here

Dominik Mysterio still can’t seem to put together the many lessons his father taught him in actual matches against wrestlers like Sami Zayn. I originally thought Dom would grow frustrated with his dad and turn on him. Now I’m wondering if maybe we’re only so far off from Rey putting him through the paces himself. That’ll learn him!
This show is generally good even on its worst days. The main event left a sour taste, however.

Grade: C+

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 6:47pm On Sep 18, 2021
What's your opinion on the best Wrestling era ever and why? The 80s, the early 90s, The attitude era, Ruthless Aggression era, PG era(lol), and current trash(permit me) we're in. We can add the Indy wrestling era - of which AEW is sculpted from - to it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) ... (298) (Reply)

Cuando Seas Mia: 'When You Are Mine' / ARROW and THE FLASH fan page....... / Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.