Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,446 members, 7,958,334 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 12:38 PM

Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House - TV/Movies (257) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House (314555 Views)

Games Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon Official Discussion Thread / Nigerians Storm Gotv Facebook Page Over WWE / Rachel Johnson Goes Topless On Live TV Show During Brexit Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) ... (302) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by DanieBlinkz(m): 7:16pm On May 20, 2022
It's happening.

PS. I sketched that

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 7:32pm On May 20, 2022
Purpl3:

Yes it will...I read somewhere that they have heat with some talents especially the lower placed talents considering how that spot is where most of them would like to be and they feel Sasha and Naomi are taking it for granted.
Me I just dey hope say Naomi no go be rat wey follow lizard dance for rain. Sasha has leverage and backups. Don't know how far the Anoai will go to bat for Naomi if shit hits the fan
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 7:33pm On May 20, 2022
DanieBlinkz:
It's happening.

PS. I sketched that
Tattoo aside, it's actually a pretty good sketch.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 7:52pm On May 20, 2022
Kaycee7:
Me I just dey hope say Naomi no go be rat wey follow lizard dance for rain. Sasha has leverage and backups. Don't know how far the Anoai will go to bat for Naomi if shit hits the fan

Lol, why does everyone see her as the follower here grin
I even read somewhere that she might have been manipulated by Sasha grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 7:53pm On May 20, 2022
DanieBlinkz:
It's happening.

PS. I sketched that

That's a dope sketch bro...nice cool
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by DanieBlinkz(m): 10:56pm On May 20, 2022
Kaycee7:
Tattoo aside, it's actually a pretty good sketch.

Thank you boss. The tattoo was hard to draw. The guys drawing Samoan tattoos dey try.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by DanieBlinkz(m): 10:56pm On May 20, 2022
Purpl3:

That's a dope sketch bro...nice cool

Thank you so much Boss.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 11:52am On May 21, 2022
DanieBlinkz:

Thank you so much Boss.

Your prophesy came to pass bro... They did it.

They did it soo brutally they had kids crying in the crowd cheesy
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 11:53am On May 21, 2022
No reviews today, I'm tired but outside of that crap WWE had Cole spewing about Banks & Naomi, this was a pretty damn good show. But he did spew that crap, and it’s hard to ignore it. angry

Grade: B-

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by DanieBlinkz(m): 12:54pm On May 21, 2022
Purpl3:

I was shocked, I didn't expect the beat down.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 1:08pm On May 21, 2022
DanieBlinkz:

I was shocked, I didn't expect the beat down.

Neither did I but it was soo good.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by DanieBlinkz(m): 8:13pm On May 21, 2022
Purpl3:

Neither did I but it was soo good.

It was awesome. Did you see the smile and smirk from the Tribal chief? Things are about to get messy on smack down.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 10:45pm On May 21, 2022
DanieBlinkz:

It was awesome. Did you see the smile and smirk from the Tribal chief? Things are about to get messy on smack down.

I've already signed up for it, have you?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by DanieBlinkz(m): 11:18pm On May 21, 2022
Purpl3:

I've already signed up for it, have you?

Of course, I've always wanted this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 1:16pm On May 23, 2022
Purpl3:

thank you for this write-up. I didn't watch the match, infact I'm just seeing the YouTube clip. What exactly was the ruckus about? Haven't they seen faces loosing before or people getting a beat down? Cole wanted to spoil my ear drums with his shouting. The faces sold it well, but that's about it. You're the WWE review expert, what exactly was special about it? Because since I heard it, I knew Usos were winning. It's not like a shock or anything if you've been watching the product since Roman came back.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 1:39pm On May 23, 2022
They also turned Eli Drake to LA Knight then from LA Knight to Max Dupri? What tha... He also has a stupid gimmick that has absolutely nothing to do with wrestling and you can tell as he is trying so hard to force the narrative to fit in with the sport. This is so ridiculous. When will WWE stop doing this to us? Thank God I don stop to dey follow sef. My mental health is important.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 5:47pm On May 23, 2022
I agree the name change is dumb. However, I disagree with you stating his gimmick has nothing to do with wrestling.
Rick Martel, Tenille Dashwood/Emma,
Tyler breeze have all done the model gimmick.
ValeeLove:
They also turned Eli Drake to LA Knight then from LA Knight to Max Dupri? What tha... He also has a stupid gimmick that has absolutely nothing to do with wrestling and you can tell as he is trying so hard to force the narrative to fit in with the sport. This is so ridiculous. When will WWE stop doing this to us? Thank God I don stop to dey follow sef. My mental health is important.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 5:54pm On May 23, 2022
ValeeLove:
thank you for this write-up. I didn't watch the match, infact I'm just seeing the YouTube clip. What exactly was the ruckus about? Haven't they seen faces loosing before or people getting a beat down? Cole wanted to spoil my ear drums with his shouting. The faces sold it well, but that's about it. You're the WWE review expert, what exactly was special about it? Because since I heard it, I knew Usos were winning. It's not like a shock or anything if you've been watching the product since Roman came back.

Rk-bro are the most Over faces in the company right now and the way the match was built they had a legit chance of winning hence, the tears from the kids and some adults too that were worked cheesy
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 9:32am On May 24, 2022
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

On Our Own
Riddle opened Raw with an emotional promo. The former tag champ lamented losing the titles to The Uso’s. He vowed vengeance on the Bloodline no matter how long it takes. And, he shouted out his Randy Orton, his partner/best friend/mentor. Randy’s hurt but gave his all against The Uso’s because he knew how much the match meant to Riddle and the fans—no, I will not call them what WWE wants me to call them.
But, and this is a big but, he noted the future of RK-Bro is a tad cloudy. This sounds like the beginnings of a breakup when Randy comes back.
Riddle’s promo served as the prelude to a six-man tag, with Riddle & The Street Profits on one side, and The Uso’s & Sami Zayn on the other. But this was never about a six-man tag; it was about Riddle and The Uso’s. In a great touch, Riddle attacked Jimmy and Jey as soon as their music hit.
Seriously, they barely made it down the ramp before Riddle threw hands at the undisputed tag champs. Once the refs restored order and the match started, it was the standard fare. Angelo Dawkins and Sami Zayn, with Zayn auditioning for a spot in the Bloodline. As soon as Riddle got the tag, he ignored Sami and went straight for Jimmy and Jey. Riddle’s lack of focus and whether it might cost his team a W was the big question.
And I felt Riddle the entire match. The Bloodline took out his best friend. The titles he scratched, clawed, and smoked his way to are gone thanks to chicanery. And maybe, just maybe, his partnership is dissolving.
Winning the match is secondary to his bloodlust. Riddle even fought a bit reckless with taped ribs and throwing caution to the wind. The Uso’s and Sami took advantage of his injury, while the Profits did their normal dope high-flying antics.
When the match broke down into anarchy, Montez hit his usual Superman spot on Jimmy and Jey. Riddle, left alone with Sami, hit Randy’s hanging DDT and prepped for the RKO. He lost focus the second Jimmy and Jey hopped on the ring apron, but suffered no true consequence for it as he still hit the RKO on Sami and got the W. Jimmy and Jey walked out on Sami because to them, this match meant nothing.
Good match with a better story, even though The Street Profits angle is still a hole I need someone to solve. Montez and Angelo buddying up to Riddle feels off to me. Them giving their own Randy Orton shoutouts at the end of the match feels even worse. But that’s a minor issue. This is a big moment for Riddle and I’m curious how it plays out and where we go from here.
One more thing: Sammi Zayn dancing to The Uso’s theme is the best thing in the world. If you missed it, find a gif or a video. I promise it will brighten even the darkest day.

Big Time Change
Hop in your time travel vehicle of choice—can’t go wrong with a Delorean—and go back to last week. Remember when I questioned WWE’s plans for handling Asuka vs. Bianca Belair? When I worried Becky was still the story and Asuka merely filled a slot? Trust me, I said it. Well, lo and behold, they solved that issue this week.
Becky defeated Asuka in Raw’s main event, creating a triple threat match at Hell in a Cell for the Raw Women’s championship. Why? Because Adam Pearce called a do-over since both women got extra nefarious in last week’s finish. His logic is sound here, but he’s still the worst WWE official on the planet.
Before I get to all of my conflicted feelings, I enjoyed this match a whole lot more than last week’s battle. To be fair, Becky and Asuka worked that match with little to no preparation and it showed. This week’s match was smoother and more fluid. Their chemistry shined and it was a fun watch. Bianca was ringside, playing the role of very interested spectator. Her facial expressions and body language told a story almost as good as the match.
Becky tried to cheat, again, to no avail. Asuka slapped Becky in the Dis-Arm-Her for a submission attempt but the former champ refused to give up to her own move. In fact, Becky wanted the W more than Asuka here. The Empress seemed content with embarrassing Becky more than pinning her, and that’s one reason why we are where we are.
But here’s the kicker—pun intended: Becky and Asuka fought to the outside when the latter kicked the champ in her face. Of course it was inadverdently. Actually, it was more than likely a ploy by Becky. Becky, for basketball reasons, sat in Belair’s lap while gathering herself. Asuka lined her up for a roundhouse kick, only for Becky to duck. Asuka’s foot connected with Bianca’s head, knocking the champ out for the rest of the match.
That one little move puts heat between Asuka and Becky. What started as a mutual respect society will hopefully devolve into the opposite.
The next important story beat came shortly after the kick heard round the arena. Becky got the upper hand on Asuka. Asuka narrowly dodged a count out loss, but Becky caught her by surprise with a pin attempt. It was a cheap finish in the best sense of the word. Asuka doesn’t look weak losing that way, Becky doesn’t exactly look strong, and now there’s extra spice in their Hell in a Cell concoction.
While I still prefer a one-on-one between Asuka and Bianca, if only to see WWE tell a different story for a few weeks, I’m not mad at how we got to this triple threat.

The Rest
What’s Next?
The Judgment Day (Damian Priest & Rhea Ripley) defeated AJ Styles & Liv Morgan. Rhea pinned Liv with a huge assist from Edge. The match wasn’t so much the story as was the open invitation to AJ and Liv to join the crew. Actually, Edge and co. extended an olive branch to anyone who wants to grab a vine. While we got no update on that front tonight, we did get a post-match beatdown, courtesy of The Judgment Day. The message was clear: Join us or get this work each and every week.
At this point, we better get another member. If not, these teases are pointless and the long—but engaging—promos from the group are moot. I remain thrilled—shoutout to Tom Atkins—but I need this story to shift to another level.

Million Dollar Man
The Mysterios saved Jerry Lawler from a massive beatdown. The King interviewed Veer and it went about as well as you’re thinking. Rey & Dominik never took the big man off of his feet because, well, look at him. To be continued.
It’s not doing much for me but maybe that changes. Maybe?

Twisted
Alexa Bliss got the W over Nikki A.S.H., continuing her successful comeback tour. Not a bad match at all, but I wanted more. The two women with a lot of history need more than the few minutes they got. I do like Doudrop in Nikki’s corner but at a certain point, we need a payoff from that. Nikki’s L’s gotta lead to something.

Obsession
The Miz and Cody Rhodes were in the middle of a meh match and then Seth Rollins showed his face. Rollins interfered, giving Rhodes the DQ win but injuring his Hell in a Cell opponent in the process.
Seth added insult to injury by snatching Cody’s weight belt from a child in the audience, and giving Cody a nice lash across his back. Rollins is playing this beautifully. He looks genuine upset every time he’s in Cody’s circumference, and it’s making Cody look great as well. While it’s not quite the psychological feud I thought, it’s just visceral hatred. I can get with that.
And Miz is right: Never trust anyone with a neck tattoo.

Speaking of Obsession...
Ezekiel (ELIAS) beat Chad Gable thanks to outside distractions from Otis and Kevin Owens. Owens snapped and challenged Zeke to a match at Hell in a Cell.
Best moment in the match was Otis’ quick Ultimate Warrior impression when the ref threw him to the back. I have no idea what pops off in Chicago between these two, but I can’t wait.

Confusion
This thing between Omos and Bobby Lashley was always about MVP. Lashley’s desire to eradicate Omos is purely to get rid of the obstacle separating him from MVP. So color me confused this week when MVP wrestled...Lashley. Yes, these two locked up with the winner picking the stipulation for Omos and Bobby’s Hell in a Cell match.
I figured Bobby and MVP might barely touch each other but, to my dismay, they got physical. The All Mighty got counted out chasing after Omos, which is also weird since MVP was his main focus. Soon, we’ll find out the stip for this upcoming match but I question the logic here.

Raw was pretty damn solid this week. While the Omos stuff is still a thing that’s happening, we’re moving forward in ways that peak my interest. And isn’t that all one can hope for?

Grade: B-

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 1:29pm On May 24, 2022
samistry:
I agree the name change is dumb. However, I disagree with you stating his gimmick has nothing to do with wrestling.
Rick Martel, Tenille Dashwood/Emma,
Tyler breeze have all done the model gimmick.
and that's why they never made it in the business. A good athlete sells himself with wrestling ability and good acting. Those guys with gimmicks can't cos they aren't good. YOU DON'T NEED A GIMMICK TO BE A SUCCESSFUL WRESTLER, especially in 2022.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 1:31pm On May 24, 2022
Purpl3:

Rk-bro are the most Over faces in the company right now and the way the match was built they had a legit chance of winning hence, the tears from the kids and some adults too that were worked cheesy
fair point, and that's the aim of wrestling also. But again it looked weird. What would they have done if they saw something from the attitude era. Even The Shield's debut was more intense. Modern wrestling fans I guess.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 1:57pm On May 24, 2022
ValeeLove:
and that's why they never made it in the business. A good athlete sells himself with wrestling ability and good acting. Those guys with gimmicks can't cos they aren't good. YOU DON'T NEED A GIMMICK TO BE A SUCCESSFUL WRESTLER, especially in 2022.
Tyler Breeze, I can attest, has great wrestling ability and good acting. He never made it because WWE only uses these gimmicks as entertainment and rarely, if not never, lets the wrestlers showcase their full abilities.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 6:06pm On May 24, 2022
ValeeLove:
fair point, and that's the aim of wrestling also. But again it looked weird. What would they have done if they saw something from the attitude era. Even The Shield's debut was more intense. Modern wrestling fans I guess.

They would have run down to the ring and begged Vince to stop maltreating Stone cold grin

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 10:33am On May 25, 2022
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Poppa Was a Rolling Stone
We got something new this week with Bron Breakker. While I am not a fan of this thing between him and Joe Gacy—seriously, I dislike it with a passion—I do like NXT adding some layers to his character. Until now, we know Bron as the cat who comes through, wrecks everyone, and leaves. He barks, he yells, and beats people to a pulp. Gacy’s mind games this week showed us a different side to the NXT champ. Childhood pictures and a video of a high school football game brought out Bron’s softer side.
Bron remembered the times his dad wasn’t there because he was busy making a living. The physical stuff was never a way to get under Bron’s skin. But picking at childhood wounds? That’s a pretty good way to go. It doesn’t completely work, but I understand where they’re going and why. Gacy wants Bron so off of his game that the slightest thing pushes him over the edge during their match at In Your House. And we get a glimpse at Bron’s humanity and weaknesses. If I squint at the right angle, it’s pretty damn compelling. If only it was through a better angle because Gacy is still a black hole on this show.
Bron’s state of mind bled over into his match with Duke Hudson. With Gacy and his goons ringside, Bron was focused for about two minutes. Hudson controlled most of the action in the slowly paced match. As soon as Bron regained his footing, he lost his focus and went after Gacy’s goons. He lost his composure, got DQ’d, and Duke won. We then got some awful horror movie villain dialogue from Gacy, and that was all she wrote.
This is the epitome of one step forward, two steps back. Bron getting character development? Good. Wrapping said development around Joe Gacy? Bad. Good idea with very meh execution. To quote Geno, the sooner this is over, the better off we’ll all be.

I’ll Be...
Indi Hartwell finds herself in the same situation as Wes Lee. Her support system is gone and she’s dolo, for better or worse. Unlike Wes, Indi is aiming for the top of the food chain. She challenged Mandy Rose because she’s got nothing to lose, and Mandy, incensed by the lack of respect on Toxic Attraction’s dirty name, accepted.
I liked the match and it had actual stakes. Mandy wants respect and Indi wants to know where she stands. Mandy is a great villain and Indi is a fantastic sympathetic heel. I dig all of it. The match itself even played into this. Indi held her own in the beginning and put the champion on her heels. But one tug of Indi’s hair gave Mandy all the momentum she needed for the second act. Mandy dominated with methodical offense meant to punish Indi as much as embarrass her.
The moment Indi mounted a comeback, out came the rest of Toxic Attraction. Katana Chance and Kayden Carter jumped Gigi Dolin & Jacy Jayne, keeping them from ringside earlier in the contest. The moment they came to and showed up, all hell broke loose for Indi. That distraction showed that even with this newfound focus, Indi still doesn’t have the focus she needs. Mandy got the W, and Indi has nowhere to go but down at this point.
Yes, we got a Wendy Choo attack on Rose after the match, signaling this is Mandy’s next challenger, but I’m a lot more interested in Indi’s plight.
And yes, Wendy, hit Mandy with a sack of balls. I’m not mature enough to ignore that. I chuckled very hard. In fact, I’m still chuckling.

The Rest
Hit ‘Em Up
Look, the moment Stacks and Two Dimes, led by Tony D’Angelo, walked to the ring talking trash to LdF, the direction for their match with Edris Enofe & Malik Blade was obvious. As the match, which wasn’t bad at all, reached its climax, LdF showed up to ruin the fun. Stack of Dimes got the W, and a turf war broke out between Tony’s crew and LdF. I’m into it.

Big Bad Xyon
We're telling the story of Wes Lee finding himself. Sometimes that means finding himself on the wrong end of a beatdown. This time, said destruction comes at the hands of Sanga. Wes fought his heart out but let’s be real here. While the match itself didn’t interest me in the least, the drama after the ding really did.
Xyon Quinn strutted to the ring, clapped for the big man’s win, and made his way into the ring. Before he attacked Wes, Sanga went back to the ring and protected his opponent. Xyon wanted no smoke with a man that big—who can blame him—and retreated into the good night. Wes earned Sanga’s respect and possibly his friendship. That’s an interesting winkle for Wes’ story, along with adding some character to a man who, until now, was just “a really big guy.” I dig it a whole lot because it’s surprising character development.

The Fire Rises
Shoutout to Bane. And an even bigger shoutout to Alba Fyre for picking up the win over Elektra Lopez. Elektra’s matches never wow me and this one was no different. Although, in fairness to her and Alba, they didn’t have a lot of time to really do anything. Even with a brief story beat of Alba nursing a hurt arm.
Cora Jade sat ringside, which supposedly distracted Elektra during the match. Their beef continued after the match, so look for that in the near future. Which, I gotta be honest, I’m not looking forward to it. After Cora’s match with Nattie, she needs to scale the mountain. Elektra is still getting her feet under her in NXT, so the match feels like a step back for Jade.

Surprise Breakout!
Roxanne Perez upset Lash Legend. Seriously, this is an upset. Every tournament needs an upset and I’m okay with this one. Mostly because Lash in the “breakout” tournament makes no sense in my head. Roxanne needs the W a whole lot more than Lash. And it was a cheap win so Lash can complain about it later—like a good heel should—and get more boos as a result. Win-win for everyone.

I’m Sorry...What?!
Nikkita Lyons is out of the Breakout Tournament. Out of the blue, she pulled out due to injury. On one hand, I love seeing Lyons because...well that’s all I’m saying. But on the other hand, she, like Lash, doesn’t need this tournament. The shock eventually wore off.
Instead, we got Tiffany Stratton in her place, taking on Fallon Henley. Fallon provided the line of the night when she yelled, “Yee-Haw, bitch” to Tiffany during a backstage segment. Anyway, this was a really fun match. Mostly because of Stratton. Tiffany is a great character and getting better in the ring each time out.
Her gymnast background really comes in handy and her timing in hitting those moves, like a nice dismount from the top rope or somersaulting into the turnbuckle, only improves with time. Every move she does is in service of her character, and she nails the mannerisms. At one point, she put Fallon into a submission and blew kisses to the crowd. Yes, yes and more yes.
So obviously, she got the W. Both women put on a good show. And we get Tiffany Stratton vs. Roxanne Perez in the Finals. I’m pulling for Tiffany.

Meh
I’m trying. I really am. But I cannot get with Von Wagner. He wrestled Ikemen Jiro this week and did what you expect him to do. The most interesting part was Briggs interfering at the end of the match to give Wagner some business.

NXT moved at a brisk pace this week. Everything was all good till we got to the main event, which was overshadowed by everything Bron and Gacy. They set up a lot for next week, which looks like a good show. This week? A good show still dragged down by the NXT championship picture.

Grade: B

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 11:20am On May 25, 2022
Purpl3:

They would have run down to the ring and begged Vince to stop maltreating Stone cold grin
grin grin grin okay this is funny. grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 12:11pm On May 25, 2022
ValeeLove:
grin grin grin okay this is funny. grin

grin grin grin
Would even add more depth to the story

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 3:36pm On May 25, 2022
Lmao wtf did I just read?
Stone cold, rock, undertaker, Kane all incorporated gimmicks.
Heck Ric Flair is a rich,stylish and narcissistic character.
Will you accuse orange Cassidy of being a bad wrestler because he has a lazy gimmick?
Let's even go to Japan the land of puro wrestling.
Have you ever questioned why kazuchika okada is called the rain maker with his face on money notes?
Tetsuya naito changing from squeaky clean Babyface to adopting the mexican tranquilo gimmick, forming a faction of anti-authority outcasts Los Ingobernables de Japon.
Jushin thunder liger also has a dark gimmick called Kishin liger where he sprays poison mist at opponents.
Wrestling is a show business and will always be. All wrestlers are gimmicks with some more nuanced than others.
ValeeLove:

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 8:47pm On May 25, 2022
samistry:
Will you accuse orange Cassidy of being a bad wrestler because he has a lazy gimmick?
Have you ever questioned why kazuchika okada is called the rain maker with his face on money notes?
Tetsuya naito changing from squeaky clean Babyface to adopting the mexican tranquilo gimmick, forming a faction of anti-authority outcasts Los Ingobernables de Japon.
Jushin thunder liger also has a dark gimmick called Kishin liger where he sprays poison mist at opponents.
Wrestling is a show business and will always be. All wrestlers are gimmicks with some more nuanced than others.

I'm tired of preaching to Mr Valee grin grin I think that's a hill he has chosen to die on and nothing can convince him otherwise.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 10:49am On May 26, 2022
samistry:
fair point. You even went to Japan, my newest fav, but let's leave sentiments aside. I have been talking about this for quite some time now, but very few are getting it, the rest think I'm crazy when I say wrestlers don't need gimmicks and the proof is the less gimmick wrestlers have better success over a long term period than those heavily gimmicked - emphasis on "long-term". Sure, even in Japan that seems to be where the most sports based product live they still have gimmicks, what that means is that no wrestling company is perfect yet. From the dictionary meaning of "gimmick" to it's effect on TV is a clear sign that it should never have been implemented in the first place. The only reason promoters had some success with it is because we were DECEIVED to believe the product was real, so gimmicks and excess storylines brought out a fascination of such movie-like element going on in real life in the eyes of the then ignorant fans. Now they are smart, we have to dump the whole thing and actually take in what will work, that is, making pro-wrestling sports based - a wrestling product, though Entertainment, but is mirrored to look like a real sport. I can explain more on that if you want. If not, we'll have to dump the product totally, cos in the next 100 years, it will heavily decline cos people will stop caring about it.
With this few points of mine I hope I have been able to convince you that gimmicks are bad for wrestling.
I can confidently say that there is no one and I mean absolutely NO ONE that can truthfully say he/she fully enjoys pro-wrestling in any company in the world.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 1:38pm On May 26, 2022
ValeeLove:
fair point. You even went to Japan, my newest fav, but let's leave sentiments aside. I have been talking about this for quite some time now, but very few are getting it, the rest think I'm crazy when I say wrestlers don't need gimmicks and the proof is the less gimmick wrestlers have better success over a long term period than those heavily gimmicked - emphasis on "long-term". Sure, even in Japan that seems to be where the most sports based product live they still have gimmicks, what that means is that no wrestling company is perfect yet. From the dictionary meaning of "gimmick" to it's effect on TV is a clear sign that it should never have been implemented in the first place. The only reason promoters had some success with it is because we were DECEIVED to believe the product was real, so gimmicks and excess storylines brought out a fascination of such movie-like element going on in real life in the eyes of the then ignorant fans. Now they are smart, we have to dump the whole thing and actually take in what will work, that is, making pro-wrestling sports based - a wrestling product, though Entertainment, but is mirrored to look like a real sport. I can explain more on that if you want. If not, we'll have to dump the product totally, cos in the next 100 years, it will heavily decline cos people will stop caring about it.
With this few points of mine I hope I have been able to convince you that gimmicks are bad for wrestling.
I can confidently say that there is no one and I mean absolutely NO ONE that can truthfully say he/she fully enjoys pro-wrestling in any company in the world.

You want wrestling to become like UFC but scripted. 15 minute long matches with the same competitors over and over with no storyline or gimmick? Nah bro it's a slippery slope and it would get boring quick.
Wrestling products especially WWE are still being massively consumed despite all the complaints. Personally I think the complaints are a necessary evil and would forever be existent no matter what happens but those same people complaining would still consume the product too so there is no point in changing what works and has been working for years.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 6:27pm On May 26, 2022
Purpl3:

You want wrestling to become like UFC but scripted. 15 minute long matches with the same competitors over and over with no storyline or gimmick? Nah bro it's a slippery slope and it would get boring quick.
Wrestling products especially WWE are still being massively consumed despite all the complaints. Personally I think the complaints are a necessary evil and would forever be existent no matter what happens but those same people complaining would still consume the product too so there is no point in changing what works and has been working for years.
I'm complaining and I don't consume their product. I get all I need on YouTube. That's the point. I'm glad you mentioned "has been working for years". I don't know whether you've noticed, but the popularity of Pro-wrestling has reduced over the years drastically. And the reason is people are simply no longer enjoying the product anymore. You see it in the ratings, in the views, from the sound of the fans in the arenas, from the empty seats at arenas, you see it everywhere. Hell, you see it when you tell an absolute stranger that you're a wrestling fan and they look at you like you're an absolute retard. It's everywhere man, and we can't deny it. Its not now, it's 100 years from now, it's 200 years from now. Then and only then will everyone understand what I'm talking about. And the ultimate proof to my claim is that the product lacks LOGIC.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 6:38pm On May 26, 2022
ValeeLove:
I'm complaining and I don't consume their product. I get all I need on YouTube. That's the point. I'm glad you mentioned "has been working for years". I don't know whether you've noticed, but the popularity of Pro-wrestling has reduced over the years drastically. And the reason is people are simply no longer enjoying the product anymore. You see it in the ratings, in the views, from the sound of the fans in the arenas, from the empty seats at arenas, you see it everywhere. Hell, you see it when you tell an absolute stranger that you're a wrestling fan and they look at you like you're a retard. It's everywhere man, and we can't deny it. Its not now, it's 100 years from now, it's 200 years from now. Then and only then will everyone understand what I'm talking about. And the ultimate proof to my claim is that the product lacks LOGIC.

Sigh, okay bro.
This is something we both love sha so let's just agree to disagree.

(1) (2) (3) ... (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) ... (302) (Reply)

Cuando Seas Mia: 'When You Are Mine' / ARROW and THE FLASH fan page....... / Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.