Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:16 AM

Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House - TV/Movies (258) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House (289290 Views)

Games Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon Official Discussion Thread / Nigerians Storm Gotv Facebook Page Over WWE / Rachel Johnson Goes Topless On Live TV Show During Brexit Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) ... (298) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 10:09am On May 28, 2022
WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

The KO Show came to Friday Night SmackDown this week and it delivered the goods.
I’m not sure I’ve ever laughed as hard as I did when Sami Zayn told Kevin Owens “Elias and Ezekiel? Clearly the same person” and Owens responded to it by nearly breaking down in tears and slowly embracing him with a deep hug. Zayn’s confusion, coupled with his soft “Kev?” really put it over the top.
I’m laughing against just thinking about it.
Owens wanted him to drop everything and come to Monday Night Raw with him so they can call out everyone for perpetuating the Ezekiel lie. Zayn wouldn’t budge, because he’s got business with The Bloodline, and KO, because he can’t help himself, called Zayn a slowpoke for thinking he’s part of the group.
You knew what was about to happen next and it was still incredible.
Sure enough, Zayn revealed he was just being nice, Ezekiel and Elias are clearly two different people, and Owens is nuts for not seeing it. Kevin’s heart broke all over again and I cannot believe this thing has gotten this far and still managed to be this entertaining.
Your mileage may vary, but this is my favorite story in WWE this year.
It somehow got even better, with Owens, now full of piss and vinegar, telling Zayn that not only is he not in The Bloodline but that they don’t care about him at all. He proved it by calling for them to come support Sami and when they didn’t, Zayn walked out sad. It actually felt kind of sad! Like, you almost genuinely felt bad for Sami here.
Not fully, though, because when Owens approached him as he was trying to walk out, he pushed his old friend and told him “I’ve got a locker room to run.” Good ol’ Sami, delusional as ever.
You gotta love these guys.
Later in the show, Zayn appealed to The Usos to join up with them. Jimmy went along with it when Sami said he could be an “honorary member.” He’s an “honorary Uce,” as Jimmy called him.
Sami is now saying “Uce” a lot.
It’s all so very good.

All the Rest
The Usos opened this week’s show with a surprisingly emotional promo, thanking the fans for being there for them for some 12 years now, considering they’ve been on the road for so long now that the fans are the only ones who’ve been there through it all. Except it was a swerve, they didn’t need anyone, and to hell with everyone else. It was actually pretty slick, all things considered, because they sold the hell out of it and had quite a few fans buying in.

They were rebuffed by the new team of Shinsuke Nakamura & Riddle, who have decided to come together after both of their tag partners were injured by The Bloodline. They were acting as though they’ll be a new team going forward rather than just for this show.

Raquel Rodriguez was given another crack at the SmackDown women’s championship, but the match hardly went anywhere before Natalya & Shayna Baszler, motivated by Shotzi calling for action among the women who were being passed over, hit the scene to cause a disqualification. Word to Teddy Long, we had us a tag team match, playa. The babyface team won after a mostly nothing match. It was hardly worth paying attention to were it not for the tease of Rousey vs. Baszler, which ended up being a “blink-and-you-missed-it” moment. My god, please go to that feud sooner rather than later because the women’s division really needs it on the blue brand.

Los Lotharios beat SKYSCRAPIN SHANKY and Jinder Mahal when Mahal was distracted by his teammate dancing on the outside. We’re one step closer to those two being done with each other . Meanwhile, Shanky was dancing it up for Samantha, the ring announcer. The fans seemed to enjoy it.Max Dupri is officially on SmackDown, and he’s a close talker. Time to find some male models!

Drew Gulak teamed up with Intercontinental Champion Ricochet and still got absolutely torn to shreds, getting beat down by Ludwig & GUNTHER. How about the shape GUNTHER got himself into? It’s hard to imagine he won’t be holding a title here very soon.

Drew McIntyre returned as the mystery partner alongside The New Day and they beat the Brawling Brutes in the main event of this show. It felt like an old school main event type of match, where the good guys win and pose with the crowd to send them home happy. It was fine.

This felt like a strange show, mostly because we’re very close to Hell in a Cell and quite literally nothing that happened on the show served as a build to it. When Roman Reigns isn’t around, you feel his absence in a big way and the show suffers greatly for it.

Grade: C-
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 12:46am On May 29, 2022
As I celebrate this huge UCL win I don't want to forget to wish Charlotte and Andrade a happy married life.
Celebrate with us guys.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 12:59pm On May 30, 2022
Congrats to CM Punk for winning the AEW World Champion at Double Or Nothing.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 1:03pm On May 30, 2022
WWE had a truck advertise Money In The Bank , by rounding the arena where Double Or Nothing was held.

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 2:08pm On May 30, 2022
ValeeLove:
Congrats to CM Punk for winning the AEW World Champion at Double Or Nothing.

I see a very long title reign cheesy

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 2:09pm On May 30, 2022
ValeeLove:
WWE had a truck advertise Money In The Bank , by rounding the arena where Double Or Nothing was held.

And with Cody's face on it.
Talk about aggressive marketing

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:14pm On May 30, 2022
Purpl3:

And with Cody's face on it.
Talk about aggressive marketing
yeah. I forgot to add that part. Talk about it though.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 9:45am On May 31, 2022
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Wicked Ways
Seth Rollins doesn’t like Cody Rhodes. He’s not feeling the new version of Cody. He disdains the pandering. He hates the cheers and chants from the crowd. More importantly, he despises Cody for leaving, doing all in his power to destroy WWE, and then come back when that didn’t work out so well for him. Fittingly, Seth called out Cody for taking a sledgehammer to the throne only coming back to take that same throne he once gleefully decimated. Cody might be the face here—even in Iowa—but Seth is correct on that last point. I like Seth pointing that out, even if he is the insane heel. I wish Cody engaged with those comments specifically. Instead, we got a nice fist fight between the two, complete with “WWE officials” pulling the two apart. One never goes wrong with cats throwing hands at each other and causing chaos.
It really is hard arguing against Seth. Cody bounced, spent years badmouthing WWE, created an “alternative” to challenge their position, and here he is now like nothing changed. Making matters worse, the crowd is eating him up. They love him. And, going off Seth’s context clues, he takes serious umbrage with management loving Cody too. There’s a lot to unpack there and I wish WWE saw the box before now. Or, at least acknowledge it as part of the story before now. The go home show before your next big event isn’t the time to really get at the heart of your heel’s motivation. Especially when we’re talking about the third match between two opponents.
But, alas. Here we are. The cell is the perfect place to finish this as these two cats dislike each other with a passion. I just wish we got more of this psychological angle before this week and less of everything else prior.

The Rest
No Logic
Allow me this time to rant: I hate the fact Asuka and Bianca Belair wrestled this week. For one, there’s zero reason for two people in a big PPV match this weekend to wrestle each other a mere days before. Call me old school, but that’s how I see things. Secondly, this sounds illogical. Bianca and Asuka willingly putting their bodies on the line while Becky stays fresh on commentary. Why on earth would either woman agree to those terms? No matter how much Bianca wants to get a little payback on The Empress for the kick heard round the stadium last week, that can wait until Hell in a Cell where the stakes are higher.
Both women put themselves in bad spots. Asuka “suffered” an ankle injury doing the match, while Becky got the last laugh when the match ended with Bianca getting the win. Becky attacked both women and left them lying on their backs as she walked into the locker room, fresh as a Daisy. The match itself was nothing to write home about but it was competent. Competency, however, does not supersede logic.

Stone Crazy
We got a six-man tag match between Kevin Owens & Alpha Academy and The Mysterios & Ezekiel. Guess what? It was pretty damn good. The core was Zeke and KO, which is why the latter’s miscue led to the former getting the victory for his team. With his team on a roll, KO accidentally kicked Chad Gable square in the face. The Mysterios took advantage of a shocked KO, while Zeke (Elias) pinned Gable with a move very reminiscent of something Elias did many moons ago. KO went agro after the match and tore up the commentary table while shouting in the face of anyone in his vicinity.
I wonder where this goes after Hell in a Cell. What does KO do if he loses? And what happens to Zeke if he loses? Just how long can we do this dance? We’ll find out.

Got It Twisted
Alexa Bliss and Doudrop wrestled an okay match. That “okay” is probably due to the fact they barely had any time to truly get busy. Alexa got the W, which makes me wonder exactly what they’re doing with Nikki A.S.H. and Doudrop. Doudrop scolded Nikki on her lack of seriousness. Cool. And even last week, Doudrop dropped some knowledge on her partner after Alexa beat Nikki. How is any of that reinforced when Doudrop loses in an even quicker fashion than her partner? WWE is helping Alexa find her sea legs, which is fine and good. But, whew, Nikki and Doudrop are adrift at sea.

Friend of Mine
It’s not right how Tozawa treats Tamina. Your new 24/7 champ pinned the woman he loves after she beat Dana Brooke for the championship. The impromptu match broke out during an entertaining Miz TV featuring the Profits of Street. Even if it tickled my funny bone, I really dislike how they’re using the Profits right now. They went from challenging for tag gold to telling everyone to take them seriously...to getting the crowd hype for Hell in a Cell.
Do with that what you will.

Dream Shatterer
Before I get into Ali vs. Ciampa, which turned into Ali vs. Theory for the United States championship, let’s shed a tear for Ciampa. The man is getting the non-televised entrance already. His stay on the main roster is about a month old and he’s already coming out to no fanfare with no real character or persona to speak about.
Anyway, Ali’s road to a title shot was simple: Beat Ciampa and get a championship match. Theory interfered early on, giving Ali a DQ win. Theory beat the living hell out of Ali and granted him a title shot this week. A weakened Ali did his best but c’mon. Theory manhandled him because of course he did.
After defeating Ali, Adam Pearce relayed word from the old man that Ali and Theory have a championship rematch at Hell in a Cell. Which is great for us but weird in context. McMahon is Theory’s mentor, right? And wants aggression from him, right? So why do this? Basketball reasons, I suppose.

Scandalous
The best part of this tag match between Riddle & Shinsuke Nakamura and The Usos is that Nak looked like the Nak of old. Meaning more aggressive, more vicious, and more on his grind. This was a championship contender’s match, after all. Rather than take a clean L, Jey hit Riddle with a scooter. So, Jimmy & Jey lost anyway, and unless I’m wrong, Riddle and Nakamura still get their unified tag titles shot. And if I’m wrong, I’m sure one of you lovely Nairalanders will point it out in the comments. I thank you in advance.
This was hardly the match, or the finish, needed for a match commentary built up for an entire hour of the show. Complete with its own clock.

We Gon’ Make It
AJ Styles, Finn Balor & Liv Morgan finally got a leg up on The Judgment Day. For the most part, this feud was the Globetrotters vs. Washington Generals, with AJ and co. playing the role of the poor Generals who are never in on the joke.
Liv and Rhea Ripley put on a pretty good match that, while not the most exciting, was successful in evening the odds if only a bit. Once again, I take issue with the two women clashing ahead of their big inter-gender match at Hell in a Cell, especially since Liv getting the W for her team and pinning Rhea is a moment for a big event. But, maybe this is a case where the babyfaces get their shine now because the heels plan to block out the sun later.
Liv picked up the clean win, while AJ and Balor took turns dishing out revenge on Damian Priest. Notable by his absence? Edge. I’m curious to see how Edge handles his crew’s first real setback.

Funkorama
Raw finished this week with a contract signing between MVP, Omos, and Bobby Lashley. And it stunk. Hell in a Cell features a handicap match between these three men. MVP and Lashley expressed their hurt feelings toward each other—MVP calling Lashley his brother was the best part of the segment—and Lashley later signed on the dotted line. It’s wrestling, so you know a fight broke out. What you don’t know is Cedric Alexander showed up to annoy everyone, and Lashley speared Omos into a table.
Yup, it stinks.

Look, this is the go home show for Hell in a Cell and it felt like a run of the mill Raw. This was a boring show that had the urgency of turtle. And not the teenage mutant ninja variety. The one thing this show accomplished is telling everyone to “go home” and do anything but watch Hell in a Cell on the first weekend of June 2022.
But hey, just my thoughts and feelings. I’m sure you have your own.

Grade: D

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 9:45am On May 31, 2022
ValeeLove:
yeah. I forgot to add that part. Talk about it though.

Nothing to talk about really, it is just want it is - aggressive marketing.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 11:09am On May 31, 2022
If you're having abad day check out Kevin Owens' backstage interview and Becky Lynch's own featuring Kevin Owens too grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 6:46pm On May 31, 2022
Purpl3:

Nothing to talk about really, it is just want it is - aggressive marketing.
cheesy That was probably Nick Khan's idea.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 8:12pm On May 31, 2022
ValeeLove:
cheesy That was probably Nick Khan's idea.

My thoughts exactly, na him get that kind weyrey.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by dahmie2013: 8:54am On Jun 01, 2022
This Omos guy cannot wrestle, he should better not allow himself to be released. Naija is not smiling o... Also, seems the best part of raw was the promo by Seth. People are really talking about it.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 9:59am On Jun 01, 2022
dahmie2013:
This Omos guy cannot wrestle, he should better not allow himself to be released. Naija is not smiling o... Also, seems the best part of raw was the promo by Seth. People are really talking about it.

That promo is what they should have led with at the beginning of the feud.
But better late than never I guess.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 10:56am On Jun 01, 2022
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Reminds Me of High School...
Normally, a contract signing doesn’t make it this high on the list. But I liked the work of everyone involved here so much that it deserves some pontification. Kayden Carter, Katana Chance & Wendy Choo were on one side of the table, while Toxic Attraction posted on the other side. And not a single one of them even put on a cordial facade. Kayden and Katana brought a lot of fire on the microphone, expressing how they’re tired of Toxic Attraction and they are the only team with a win over Jacy and Gigi. True. Their frustration with an inability to be champions, along with their palpable dislike of TA, made it feel real. If a bunch of people who don’t like each other got together, this is what it looks like. There’s no calm, cool, and collectedness on the microphone. It’s yelling. It’s verbally violent. It’s a bunch of people doing their best to not take a swing at each other.
Toxic Attraction, for their part, bought some fire too. While Gigi and Jacy stuck to the high school mean girl script, including throwing a short joke at their challengers, they feel disrespected. And I get it. They beat almost everyone thrown their way and they’re dominating the territory. Mandy was perfect in her role as queen bee heel. She correctly noted most people assumed her championship reign would be shorter than leprechauns. But here she is, 200 days and counting. Yes, those words are common for a heel, but they rang true. Mandy Rose deserves a lot of respect for her heel championship run. She wrestles like a heel, uses her moves in concert with her personality, and has no problem doing the things heels should do. Like cheat. She’s not trying to look good for get plaudits from the crowd; she makes her opponents look good and slinks away with wins. Ya know, like a good heel does. Berating Wendy for looking like a “child” only further put the crowd against her.
Everything took a turn for the violent when Wendy Choo chose high school violence. The woman used a spitball to spark the typical contract fight. The challengers stood strong and I’m very interested in the outcomes at In Your House. These six women are polar opposites of each other, and that normally makes for great matches.

Came Back for You
Cameron Grimes and Carmelo Hayes have the feud in NXT right now. Besides the fact it’s for a title, there is a genuine disagreement in philosophy and lifestyle. But Grimes still feels the urge to prove something to Melo, while Melo just wants back what he believes is rightfully his. Grimes’ quest put Nathan Frazer in his eyesights. Frazier, according to Grimes, is a Melo clone. So what better way to train for Melo than beating someone who does everything Melo does and might even be better? Sound logic and it hits harder with Melo and Trick Williams on commentary.
Grimes doesn’t have bad matches, and that Nathan Frazer proved a worthy dance partner. Frazer tried impressing his opponent for the first act. Frazer proved quick but not as quick as Melo. And unfortunately for Frazer, he doesn’t know Grimes as well as Melo does. Which is why Grimes’ Penalty Kick to end the first act was a doozy. And that wasn’t for Frazer; it was for Melo.
Grimes ran the risk of focusing too much on the man talking on the the headsets instead of the man across from him in the ring. Frazer took advantage of that distraction every now and then, countering a German Suplex, taking every shot Cameron threw his way, and almost battling to a standstill.
But like I said, Frazer doesn’t know Grimes as well as Melo does. Frazer went to the top rope and forgot about Grimes’ speed and agility. Grimes hit the German Suplex this time, and hit the Cave In for the win.
Melo and Trick tried the old fashioned sneak attack, but Grimes, showing he knows Melo all too well, dodged the attacks.
Cue the standard stare down as the show fades to black.
I have no idea who will win at In Your House but I can’t wait to find out.

The Rest
Coach!
Is Damon Kemp coachable? That’s the question Wade Barrett posed at the beginning of this week’s match. But that’s not why we’re here. The real question is if Roderick Strong is a good coach. Diamond Mine lacks clarity since Malcolm Bivens exchanged his diamonds for jade, but Strong is doing his damndest to keep the ship afloat. Mixed metaphors aside, we’re still waiting a definitive answer on Strong’s leadership.
This week’s match gets us no closer to that answer. Strong & Kemp vs. Pretty Deadly was pretty damn good and dramatic. It started with Pretty Deadly embarrassing Kemp, making fun of him for being “the wrestler” imitating mat wrestling holds and slapping him around. But one slap from Strong—tough love I suppose—sparked Kemp. The newest Diamond Mine member executed beautiful suplexes, and an explosion of high impact offense. Diamond Mine showed spurts of offense while Pretty Deadly isolated both mine members on separate occasions. The last moment came when a struggling Kemp outsmarted an overconfident Elton Prince and tagged in Strong. That’s when all hell broke loose.
Pretty Deadly grabbed the tag belts while the ref was occupied, and The Creed Bros. came down to stop the chicanery before it happened. Julius Creed pushed Strong out of the way and took a shot to the head. Strong, distracted by Julius and Brutus, left himself wide open to a Spilt Milk.
Pretty Deadly gets the W while Diamond Mine is in disarray heading into In Your House.

The Commission This Ain’t
I wonder how Lucky Luciano feels about this beef between Legado del Fantasma and Tony D’Angelo’s family. Without going into all of the humor from Tony and Santos’ yacht meeting, here’s what you need to know: A six-man tag match at In Your House between LdF and Tony’s family. The stakes? The losing side gets folded into the winning stable. This time next week, we’ll either have Tony, Two Dimes, and Stacks working for Santos, or the entire Legado familia working as soldiers under Tony’s thumb.
I said before, but as someone who loves mafia stories, this right up my alley. Even though I’m still not entirely sure what “work” either of these families do or how either controls NXT. If there’s one issue with this story, it’s definitely the lack of defined roles and responsibilities.

Bad Sign for LdF
Elektra Lopez needs more time in the ring. She’s better each time out, but there’s still a lack of fluidity to what she does in the ring. She and Cora Jade locked up this week in a match that had its sloppy moments (Elektra’s takedown, Cora’s head scissors that launched Elektra out of the ring come to mind) but it was an okay affair overall. That said, story wise, I prefer a DQ here or at least a no contest finish. Elektra talked a lot of trash to Cora and it’s not like Elektra has a lot of wins under her belt. Ultimately, Cora should prosper, but a little more adversity makes the win sweeter.

Heart Pt. 5
Wes Lee got a big win tonight in a short but compelling match with Xyon Quinn. Both men told a good story in a brief period of time, which is a testament to both men. Xyon controlled most of the action with his raw power. Sure, Wes came out hot when the bell rang, but that fire was short lived. Xyon stomped the man’s ribs, countered his moonsault by catching him and launching him into the turnbuckle. But Xyon’s ego got the better of him. He talked lot of trash the entire match, including telling Wes he doesn’t belong in NXT. He ate those words when he charged a seemingly knocked out Lee, who countered with a schoolboy pin. Short but sweet ensuring this is far from over.

CHASE U!
Thea Hail graduated high school a few days ago. She chose Chase U to continue her education. It was great.

Ivy FTW
Kamina James...for basketball reasons...got in Ivy Nile’s face about the Diamond Mine drama. Ivy, clearly not in the mood for her crap, challenged the mathematician/statistician/librarian? to a match. And you know what? It was pretty damn good. Mostly because both women were smooth in their moves, showed a lot of character, and Ivy actually got more development with this one match than most of her time in NXT.
Kamina started on top, clearly taking advantage of a distracted Nile. James countered several of Iyv’s moves and told her she can’t learn that in the gym. THEN, the woman poked Ivy’s muscles. Disrespectful AF, right?
To make matters worse, Kamia countered Ivy’s submission hold. The same submission nobody counters. This set off Ivy, who nailed her opponent with kicks, lariats, and finally a Northern Lights Bomb to finish her off.
In a good moment of storytelling, Pretty Deadly made their way to the ring to “congratulate” Ivy. The Creeds rushed to her aide, and got a moment to stand tall with the NXT tag titles. If they don’t win those titles at In Your House, this is the last time we’ll see those three together as a part of Diamond Mine.

Bigger Fish
Grayson Waller disrespected Briggs and his crew earlier in the show. Briggs, of course, challenged him to a fight. What Briggs didn’t count on was Von Wagner, Robert Stone, and Sofia Cromwell to show up and ruin his momentum. That one distraction led to his eventual demise at the hands of Grayson Waller.
Wasn’t feeling the match much because there just wasn’t enough time and both men need more time to truly make it interesting.

That’s it?!
I like Solo Sikoa a lot. I like Duke Hudson. Unlike an earlier match where two competitors told a good story in a short amount of time, Solo and Duke didn’t have the same luck. Solo got the win via the big splash after he and Hudson traded offense for a bit. The match ended when it felt like it started to find a rhythm.

Gacy, Gaci, Gace!
More ramblings from Joe Gacy about Bron’s anger and predictability. Bron said his anger and predictability is a strength, not a weakness. So he’s doing him at In Your House. Cool.

Enjoyable two hours of television this night from the NXT crew. Great pacing, intriguing stories, and a good go home show before their next big event. Bron and Gacy are still the dark spot but hey, at least it’s almost over.

Grade: A-
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 1:13pm On Jun 04, 2022
WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

This week’s episode of Friday Night SmackDown was once again all about the tag team championship, The Usos, Riddle, Shinsuke Nakamura, Randy Orton, and Sami Zayn. Roman Reigns too, I suppose, but he wasn’t even at the show. Again.
But, really, it was all about Riddle.
For whatever reason, WWE decided to go ahead and do Nakamura & Riddle vs. The Usos for the titles in the main event of this show, and by the end of the evening it was clear what they wanted to get out of this. It was never about putting Riddle and Nakamura together as a team, but rather furthering Riddle’s issues with The Bloodline as a whole to set him up for multiple programs.
Indeed, Nakamura was taken out of the match via an injury angle that left Riddle alone to valiantly fight on. He might have even had a chance too, except Sami Zayn played Reigns’ music from the production truck and ensured Jimmy & Jey retained. When he came out to celebrate, an enraged Riddle attacked him before he was overwhelmed by The Bloodline’s numbers.
It seems clear this is leading to Riddle vs. Zayn, and eventually Riddle vs. Reigns. That they’re using the tag team titles to build a challenger for the top title is fine, and Riddle being that guy is also fine. It’s all fine.
I can’t say I’m more interested in this than I was what they were doing with RK-Bro, but I get going this direction. The problem is it’s so obvious what happens once they do get there, what with the bigger match they’re building to come September.
I just wish Reigns was on TV more often. He really makes or breaks these shows with his presence, or lack thereof.

All the Rest
The New Day opened this week’s show introducing Drew McIntyre, who went ahead and announced he’ll be wrestling Roman Reigns for the WWE Undisputed Universal Galactic Eternal Championship at Clash at the Castle. But that’s a long ways off, and in the meantime they’ve got comedy to do! He called himself “Big D” and there was an attempt at crude sexual humor Xavier Woods & Kofi Kingston interrupted, wouldn’t you know it. We’ll have to settle for “Big D” and all that implies.Meanwhile, the Brawling Bodies or whatever the hell they’re called, interrupted and I mention this only to put over BUTCH. While Sheamus and Ridge Holland were yapping on and on about fight night, BUTCH was behind them furiously pacing until he lost patience and just solo rushed the three dudes in the ring. As one dimensional as this character is, it’s arguably one of the best things on this show right now. This all led to a six-man tag, where BUTCH pinned Woods because, again, he’s better than all these guys.Max Dupri will reveal the first member of his group next week, which I’ll enjoy if only because it means less discomfort at watching him talk so closely to Adam Pearce.

Jinder Mahal beat Humberto in a singles match that had much more to do with Skyscraping Shanky dancing and having a time with the ring announcer. I think I heard some faint “go Shanky” chants. This thing might be getting over, folks.

Natalya won a Six Pack Challenge to become the new top contender to the SmackDown women’s championship. The match was more of a showcase for Rodriguez than Nattie but the latter is solid as a veteran who can be plugged in as a viable challenger when needed who will make the champion look good. There’s nothing to get terribly excited about here, unfortunately, but WWE reaps what they sow as far as how they’ve chosen to go about booking the women’s division on the blue brand.

Madcap Moss has a new look and dropped the funny act but all I could notice was that he holds the microphone like Triple H used to, resting it on his chin, and someone badly needs to tell him to stop breathing into it all throughout his promos. I could hardly listen to what he was saying as those short breaths were reverberating through the arena. He got his match with Happy Corbin and lost because he couldn’t contain his anger. They’ll have a rematch at Hell in a Cell, because of course they will.

This was a decent enough show.

Grade: C+
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by DownChelsea(f): 2:44pm On Jun 04, 2022
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Purpl3: 10:28am On Jun 05, 2022
WWE NXT in your house REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

It’s Like That
I always look at a match with an eye on the main character. Ultimately, it’s their journey and their opponent is merely a part of that story. For the longest time, it looked like this was Cameron Grimes’ story. Cameron has the emotional hook, he’s the babyface, and he has a lot to prove.
But then Melo entered the match flanked by cats with custom made shirts for the occasion, along with the pomp and circumstance befitting a main character. In hindsight, Melo reclaiming the North American championship was an obvious call. I sound like a broken record each time these two wrestle in the same vicinity because they put on yet another great match.
There are two big points here so let’s take them in sequential order. Cameron Grimes started the match on fire like he made three straight jump shots. He didn’t miss anything and put Melo on his heels. Literally. Melo didn’t believe his eyes and regrouped. Grimes noted repeatedly that he knows Melo like the back of his hand. The early returns proved he wasn’t just running his mouth. After battling to a stalemate, Melo turned up the aggression. Meaning, for those of you who missed it, he hit a nasty looking DDT on the apron after floating over the top rope. Seriously, it was a thing of beauty and Grimes sold it like the most devastating move known to man.
The second big deal was Trick Williams. Trick interfered multiple times, either through annoying Grimes or just outright cheating. Williams tried tying Grimes’ hand to the ropes, and he threw hands a couple times. But the point was never to truly do anything but distract. Trick saved his best distraction for last.
After Grimes countered Melo’s signature springboard attack—once again proving his point—they battled to the outside of the ring. Grimes took out both men with a dive because, again, Trick is just as much a part of Melo’s matches as Melo. Melo knows this, so he took his time getting back in the ring. Meanwhile, Trick did what he does best, which is talk a lot of trash and take a hit for his man. Grimes, finally done with Trick’s foolishness, laid Williams out flat with a Cave In. Melo looked on, waited, and baited Grimes.
And yeah, you know the rest from here. Ding, ding, ding, Carmelo Hayes is the A champion once again.
These two just know how to tell a story. Grimes is so focused on one-upping Melo while also dealing with Trick Williams, that he loses sight of what really matters. And it’s all perfectly executed.

the Rest
The World is Yours
The best thing about this match, which was a very good match. was the story. After teasing a Santos Escobar and Tony D’Angelo pairing very early, the match built to the eventual clash. While the match didn’t suffer when their capos wrestled. In fact, the goons brought a lot of energy to the proceedings. They took the highest risk, and truly brought the “war” aspect to the match.
However, every time we got Tony D and Santos, the drama ratcheted up exponentially. Eventually, both men resorted to their usual tricks and that’s where the match was won. Tony and the Family were a step ahead of Legado del Fantasma for most of this feud. That continued at In Your House.
Ms. Lopez handed Santos some brass knuckles. Two Dimes hands Tony another lead pipe after the ref found and discarded one prior to the start of the match. Joaquin Wilde takes said pipe and leaves Stacks reeling in the corner. Because turnabout is fair play, Tony steals Santos’ brass knucks and knocks Wilde two weeks into the future. Dimes pushes his partner onto a laid out Wilde, and LdF is now a part of The Family.
Tony D won this match for his team because he outsmarted Santos Escobar. Great way to start the show and a fantastic way to make the story much more interesting.

Your Winners, and NEW...
The Creed Bros. were fed up. Tired of Pretty Deadly, tired of Roderick Strong, and just exhausted with all the drama surrounding their names the past few weeks. That frustration boiled over during this tag team title match. Julius and Brutus clearly wanted nothing but death for Elton Prince and Kit Wilson multiple times throughout the match. There was the Ankle Lock/Stretch Muffler tandem in the middle of the ring. There was the Brutus Bomb with rage. Oh, and the time Brutus threw a grown man at another grown man. Like he was a child. And then, finally, the time Julius almost gave the whole thing away.
With his family at ringside, Julius almost threw away his team’s shot at the title and their Diamond Mine membership. Julius picked up one of those tag titles, and almost used it as a weapon against Kit. But he didn’t. After looking at his dad and his brother. Julius gave the belt back to the ref, mustered his rage, and the crowd went into Berserk Mode.
Brutus slammed Kit. Julius hit Kit with a gorgeous Shooting Star Press, and then the patented lariat.
That was all she wrote for a very good and very physical tag team match between two teams on opposite ends of the spectrum.

The Message
Katana Chance and Kayden Carter lost to Toxic Attraction because they’re not dirty. That’s it. They weren’t outwrestled, just outsmarted. This is the story for Toxic Attraction since their inception: They work just as hard as everyone else but have no problem cutting corners to get the job done. While I liked the match, I’m not wild about the decision here. If we’re not giving Katana and Kayden the belts now, then when? And what is the endgame for Toxic Attraction? There aren’t many women left for them and a story needs both peaks and valleys to keep the audience hooked. And by audience, I mean me.

Respect
Mandy Rose came in wanting respect on her name and that’s what she got. The champ successfully defended against Wendy Choo in a match that, while lacking chemistry between the two women, did have moments. Both women started the match angry, which I always love. They despise each other so this is exactly what we deserve. Mandy’s Spinebuster to Wendy near the ring entrance was the best type of violence and showed Mandy’s nasty side. And Wendy’s comeback moment where she opened her jacket revealing a desecrated Toxic Attraction shirt was a dope moment. For a few seconds, it looked like the end for Mandy as she struggled to stay awake in Wendy’s sleeper. But, like usual, she survived.
Mandy took Wendy by surprise and got another W for herself and her squad.

Champion Sound
Bron Breakker and Joe Gacy are very good wrestlers. Unfortunately, this story weighed down their In Your House match. Both men were crisp, fluid, and executed everything. Gacy took a mean table bump, Bron hit an incredible dive over the top rope, and at times, it looked like a real fight. That’s what we want, right?
But the mechanics in the story got wonky towards the end. The men in robes made their presence known. The first made sense: One of them handed Bron a chair while he and Joe wrestled outside. The move not only works with the stipulation that Bron loses if he’s DQ’d, but it distracted the champ long enough for Gacy to capitalize.
Then there was the last moment, that ultimately made no sense. Gacy low blows Bron and almost gets the W. Bron, justifiably pissed, goes for a chair. The ref does his best to talk Bron down but the man wants to swing. Gacy, looking like Castor Troy from Face/Off, says he’s ready for the big ride. Then...one of the men in robes hops onto the ring apron. Why? Bron will swing. Gacy will win. The title is his. So why is this minion possessed with the idea of getting on the apron now? Bron takes out his aggression on the minion, which is perfectly legal, and finishes Gacy to retain the title.
This wasn’t a bad match by any means, but the storytelling just kept rearing its misshaped head. I hope this is the end of their feud, although I’m not sure what one does with Gacy at this point.

I enjoyed this show quite a bit. It didn’t overstay its welcome, we got good matches, and a couple surprising outcomes. Well, at least I was surprised. Much like NXT’s weekly television, Gacy and Bron were the one thing that didn’t quite work as well as hoped. But everyone else propped them up.

Grade: B+

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 11:06am On Jun 06, 2022
WWE Hell in a cell REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Triumph
Let’s get this out the way before I wax poetic: Bianca Belair, Asuka, and Becky Lynch put on an incredible match. These three women gave us drama, feats of incredible strength, character work, and a finish that, in itself, is a part of the larger story. I initially flexed my own People’s Eyebrow when commentary announced the Raw Women’s championship match was first of the night. But after sitting through this half hour battle, I get it. This was the best way to kick off this event and I applaud everyone involved.
Okay, with that out of the way, let’s get to the proceedings this evening. Becky is an instigator. She started the match doing her best to pit Asuka and Bianca at odds to even her own odds. And when both women tossed her away, she let them fight while picking her spots. Basically, Becky wrestled the beginning of this match the way I wrestled triple threat matches in WWF No Mercy. While she rumbled consistently, her strategy was clear: Take advantage of any downed opponent and try to win the match that way.
Rather than a triple threat questioning how long the babyfaces work together against the heel before their union implodes, we got a triple threat about whether Becky Lynch might steal the title from Bianca. Bianca proved she’s stronger and faster than Becky, but she smarter than Becky? The jury was still out on that one. If Bianca wanted to go home with her title, raw power might not get the job done.
But that doesn’t mean Bianca didn’t show off. Her best moment came after watching Asuka do her own Phenomenal Blitz on Becky, followed by a German Suplex and a hip attack. Bianca slid back in the ring, put Becky in a delayed vertical suplex, and marched while holding the former champ over her head. Was it as impressive as catching Asuka in the corner, hosting her high, grabbing her arms, and launching her face first into a turnbuckle? No, but for sheer showmanship and an indelible memory from this match, the suplex wins.
Each woman controlled the match at various times in very different ways. Bianca used her power and agility, overpowering Becky’s Dis-Arm-Her attempt and withstanding everything Asuka threw her way. Becky went for quick wins and isolation, truly believing her best shot was a one-on-one match since both women kinda despise her. And Asuka just beat the snot out of both women.
Whether it was the previously mentioned blitz, the kicks to Bianca and Becky, or the double Ankle Lock submission she put both women in. In the middle of the ring no less. Everything displayed their different styles and milked the tension enough where mystery surrounded the outcome.
And yes, the outcome. Like I said, Becky constantly took advantage of her opponents hitting big moves for a quick win of her own. Asuka thwarted Becky’s Manhandle Slam pin attempt earlier in the match, and Becky’s frustration showed as none of her big moves got the job done.
Bianca, on the other hand, never executed a KOD because, again, no time. Hard to get anything like that done with someone else lurking behind your back. So, Bianca finally took a page from the Book of Big Time.
Asuka was ready for Bianca’s kill shot after getting tossed into the turnbuckle face first. Before the champ capitalized, Becky pushed her aside and nailed Asuka with the Manhandle Slam. Becky covered Asuka and every fan in Chicago—and me—figured that was all she wrote. But along came Bianca. The champ broke up the pin count, tossed Becky out of the ring, and covered Asuka for the W.
After all this time, Bianca finally beat Becky at her own game.
Maybe I’ll vent tomorrow about Asuka as the fall woman, even though it was clear that was always an option. But this was such a great showing, even that criticism feels miniscule. From the opening ding to the final ding, this match set a high bar.

Heaterz
I hope Cody Rhodes was higher than a giraffe’s ass. There’s no way I can discuss this match without discussing the black, blue, and purple elephant in the room in the middle of this circus. I’m not condoning or endorsing wrestlers working under the influence, but one look at Cody’s torn pectoral made me clutch my chest. For those who missed the news, Cody tore his pectoral “clean off the bone” sometime between last Monday and Hell in a Cell. Rather than book something else—because WWE truly has no other options—Cody powered through.
And I’m conflicted with his decision. Props to the man for his guts, along with building his own mystique as the man who literally wrestled with one arm. Part of the fun is knowing these cats aren’t actually hurting during the match. We all accept certain thing as a part of the show. We normally find out afterwards if someone wrestled injured and then celebrate the fact they survived. But this felt different for me. And, again, this is how I feel. Your mileage may vary on this issue. And, to be fair, Cody chose this. This is what he wants and lives for. And, like I said earlier, he loves this as a part of his own legend.
With all that out of the way, this was a great match and an even better story. While Cody and Seth throw around Dusty’s name a lot, this match was really about being the best heir to Triple H. Even with Seth in polka dots, the truth revealed itself as the match truly found its footing. Seth went after the big target on Cody’s chest. And Cody, the worker that he is, made the audience feel every wince. Any offense Cody gave birth to was short lived because, well, again, one arm. Seth whipped Cody with his own strap, threw him shoulder-first against the cell, hit that shoulder with a kendo stick, and then jammed said stick into Cody’s chest.
This is part of my inner conflict.
On one hand, it was uncomfortable but on the other hand, knowing it was real pain made a very compelling story with real stakes. The anguish on Cody’s face was legit. The adrenaline he felt later in the match was authentic. And the tears he cried when it ended were realer than real deal Holyfield. Wrestling is at its best when it feels genuine. But the best wrestling is genuine. Whether it’s the fact the opponents really dislike each other, really love each other, or in this case, one of them is really hurt.
Seth answered every attack Cody threw at him because Cody has no energy to truly get momentum on his side. Even when Cody pulled out a Bull Rope, it just wasn’t enough to finish the job. But Cody refused to stay down when Seth took control. Seth tried everything, including a Curb Stomp and a Buckle Bomb through a freakin’ table, but nothing ended the Nightmare.
That’s when Seth grabbed a sledgehammer from under the ring. As if the symbolism wasn’t strong enough, Cody blocked Seth’s sledgehammer attack and countered with a Pedigree.
With the sledgehammer out of the picture, both men traded offense. And by offense, I mean Cross Rhodes. Rollins hit one on Cody, Cody hit one on Rollins, and both men looked dazed and confused.
Realizing regular moves weren’t enough, they both crawled towards the sledgehammer. Again, the symbolism was as subtle as wasp sting. But the sledgehammer was no good in Cody’s arm, forcing him to muster enough strength for not one but two Cross Rhodes, followed by sledgehammer shot to send Rollins home packing.
Like I said, great match with an even better story. And some of the best storytelling in WWE in years. Even with my trepidation about the circumstances around the match, it won me over. This was the full Cody Rhodes experience. We even got a little blood! Props to everyone involved and here’s hoping Cody gets well as soon as humanly possible.
I’m not sure when, but a championship reign is definitely in his future after this performance.

The Rest
For Heavens Sake
Bobby Lashley vs. Omos & MVP entertained me a lot more than I predicted. I’m the Chicago crowd has a lot to do with that, but this was fun. Lashley got his revenge on both men, and that was the main point. They didn’t drag it out or pretend it was anything more than a fight. And MVP finally got a taste of the Hurt Lock. The only complaint is I wish they made us wait until Hell in a Cell to see Lashley get his hands on his former friend. But, hey, we’re here now.
After the match, Lashley signaled he’s done with his past and looking forward to Roman Reigns’ championship. Hmmm.

Severe Punishment
No one joined The Judgment Day at Hell in a Cell. No defections, no new members, no chicanery. We did, however, get a very solid effort from all six wrestlers. The reason Edge, Rhea Ripley, and Damian Priest leave Chicago with a W is because Rhea uses the rules to her advantage. While some might argue Finn and AJ stop dead in their tracks when she stands between them and Edge or Priest, it’s also the rules of the match. They can’t lay hands on her and she knows they won’t do what is necessary to get the job done.
Rhea stood between Edge and Finn’s Coup de Grace. Finn hesitated, Edge recouped, and hit the Prince with a spear.
As an aside, trainers tended to AJ during the last half of the match. I’m not sure how it happened but his forehead looked extremely bloody. Hopefully AJ is A-OK.

Hellz Wind Staff
Madcap and Corbin beat the hell out of each other. Corbin threw a chair at Madcap, and Madcap dropped steel steps on a chair connected to Corbin’s neck. I mean, that’s all you need to know. This was a hardcore match between two men who hate each other. Madcap had no qualms about stooping to Corbin’s very low level to get the job done.

Impossible
There was a moment during Ezekiel vs. Kevin Owens where the former threw a lot of hands at the latter. And while throwing hands, Ezekiel screamed at KO. Zeke wants respect on his name and needs KO to acknowledge he is, in fact, Ezekiel.
It was the most compelling part of the match, which was solid, but provided an ending which left me cold. KO won after hitting Zeke with a third Stunner. And I’m not sure where this goes from here. Does he keep hounding Zeke? Does Zeke go after him? Will the real Elias please stand up? Who knows at this point.

The City
Mustafa Ali walked into AllState Arena as the hometown hero. Chicago’s love for the man added a lot to the match. Ali controlled most of the match until missing a top rope maneuver that wrecked his knee. Ali hobbled the rest of the match, suffered an incredible modified Spanish Fly—seriously, Theory does amazing things in that ring—and put Theory’s title in true jeopardy with an STF. But that knee. After missing a 450 Splash, Ali clutched his knee in pain. And that was it. Rather than draw out the suffering, Theory finished it with an A-Town Down.
Another solid match that seemingly ended abruptly. Almost like someone made the call for them to end it because there was no indication the ending was around the corner after Ali missed the 450. And Theory didn’t even look like he was ready to end it. But, as it stands, a solid match with an ending the crowd absolutely hated.

The great matches at Hell in a Cell were exceptional. And the good matches were really good. WWE put on a dope Sunday night show all around.

Grade: A

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 2:20pm On Jun 06, 2022
Cody. My guy well well. I love his guts, but sometimes I doubt his intelligence or maybe it's just his ego. Would you go out with that injury if it was a real fight? Ofcourse not. They are different ways of showing your heart for the game, no 1 is doing your job while you're hale and hearty. What he pulled out there was really risky for him and that's asides the fact hat he just buried Seth even further and made him look like the clown he portrays every Monday. I just want this thing to make sense, to feel logical. I hope he gets better sha.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:03pm On Jun 06, 2022
ValeeLove:
Cody. My guy well well. I love his guts, but sometimes I doubt his intelligence or maybe it's just his ego. Would you go out with that injury if it was a real fight? Ofcourse not. They are different ways of showing your heart for the game, no 1 is doing your job while you're hale and hearty. What he pulled out there was really risky for him and that's asides the fact hat he just buried Seth even further and made him look like the clown he portrays every Monday. I just want this thing to make sense, to feel logical. I hope he gets better sha.

He won Seth cos I think Seth is due a gimmick change.
Tbh tho watching that match wasn't easy at all.
Big ups to both men for pulling it off.

2 Likes

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 10:10am On Jun 07, 2022
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

SWERVE’S HOUSE
No disrespect to Swerve, who is one of my favs, but that headline is so necessary. WWE told us at the beginning of Raw that The Judgment Day is adding to its ranks. Why are they making this appointment viewing, I wondered. But, okay, cool. Sure enough, Edge, Rhea, and Damian show up around 10 p.m. and introduce the newest member:
Finn Balor.
Finn came out doing his usual thing, with the jacket and the preening to the crowd, and something smelled fishy. No, I didn’t expect what we got, but I did expect something. In fact, since Finn is the guy, I questioned why they didn’t do this at Hell in a Cell.
Then the swerve hit and it was glorious. Finn stated his reasons for joining. He, like Rhea and Damian, is tired of being told what to do. Edge liked that. Damian continued Finn’s thoughts and said the last obstacle in their way and the last limitation holding them back...is Edge!
Balor, Rhea, and Damian decimated Edge, who was shocked like the rest of us. Edge is the guy who started the group! This whole thing is built on his message and his image. But a group of people fighting against the old guard believed Edge represents everything they don’t like. They put him through the commentary table and gave him a taste of his own medicine with a concerto. I didn’t see it coming, and I loved every moment of it. Edge got a stretcher job too, meaning he’s probably off television for the foreseeable future.
This is the most interesting thing for either of these three in quite some time. Edge called himself “the adult” when he spoke to the crowd tonight. Obviously, that was Rhea, Damian, and Finn’s big issue with his leadership. They want more. They want to rule. And they can’t do it with the old man constantly hogging the spotlight. And they do need to justify Edge’s forced exit. Especially after they just won their match at Hell in a Cell.
How were they held back? Hopefully singles pushes are in store for all three because if not, then Edge wasn’t holding them back from much. Rhea Ripley got her moment later in the show. What say you, Finn and Damian? What comes next week is an important moment for the group but the potential for something special with these three is is so high, it might need a pilot license.

Shenanigan Overload
This gets a top position because it sports entertained me for reasons hard to explain. Becky Lynch comes out. I think she’s cutting a promo. Nope, she’s wrestling. Her opponent? Dana Brooke. “Why are they feeding Dana to Becky?” I wonder to myself. The eye-rolling begins as soon as the bell rings and I settle in for whatever WWE presents. Then the 24/7 circus comes to the ring and I perk up a bit. Dana Brooke pins Tozawa during her match with Becky much to Becky’s puzzlement. Then Becky grabs a mic and all hell breaks loose.
Becky decrees no one wins a championship during her matches except her. Therefore, she wants a shot at Dana’s 24/7 championship. Not now, but right now. And she tells the 24/7 stable to keep their noses out of the match or else. Or else what? Do we really need to go over all the or elses? No.
Give. Becky. The 24/7. Championship. The entertainment factor for that is out of this world. And it works perfectly with Becky just wanting a championship. She doesn’t care what championship and she doesn’t care how it happens. She needs a title more than oxygen. I get it and I love it.
Asuka comes out during Becky and Dana’s match to annoy the former because she’s so good at that. Asuka doubles as Dana’s cheerleader and interferes a few times on her behalf.
Long story short, Becky goes for a Manhandle Slam, Dana reverses it into a pin attempt, and Asuka holds down Becky’s leg, stopping her from kicking out. So yes, Dana Brooke has a win over Becky Lynch. And we now know Asuka isn’t finished with Becky. Not by a longshot.

The Rest
For the Love of the Game
Cody Rhodes walked out to a deserved standing ovation. He thanked the crowd for their love, and switched his attention to winning that briefcase at Money in the Bank. Eventually.
Seth Rollins showed up. While he still doesn’t like Cody, he does respect him. Seth even said Dusty is proud of his “baby boy.” Seth walked to the back, Cody followed and took a minute to bask in his glory.
But then Seth showed his true colors, and no, not the ones in whatever ridiculous suit he’s wearing. Seth used his sledgehammer to beat Cody’s injured pec—again—and show how wack he is as a human. Cody said this thing with Seth is over and done but when he comes back from his surgery and rehab, something tells me Seth will stand right in his way of any ladder he wants to climb.

So Randy
Riddle continues his revenge quest. He’s not quite Conan the Barbarian, but he brings the fire when necessary. And he was enflamed this week on Miz TV. The Miz and Maryse promoted Miz and Mrs. season premiere while Riddle wanted none of that. He came to talk about Randy Orton and Roman Reigns. Oh, and butcher the French language in front of Maryse.
The very entertaining Miz TV segment referenced the size of Miz’s balls, John Cena, and Orton’s career. Miz challenged Riddle to a match, Ciampa attacked Riddle from behind, and the match started in earnest.
Riddle and Miz are both great at their respective jobs. It’s no wonder their quick match did everything it needed to do. Miz got embarrassed in front of a crowd who hates his guts, Riddle got a W in front of a crowd who adores him, and Miz & Maryse got what they deserved in the process.

The Truth Shall Set You Free
Ezekiel defeated Otis. Poor tree trunk. But that’s not the point here. Ezekiel called out Kevin Owens demanding a rematch. KO granted it under one condition: Admit he’s really Elias. Zeke gave KO what he wanted, KO boasted, and Zeke revealed he lied. So we’re getting the match and this whole Ezekiel charade continues.

FINALLY...
I often complain in this space about the Street Profits’ status on Raw. They’re normally pieces in someone else’s story rather than the focal point of their own. This week, they finally got their shot at tag team gold. Well, actually, they got their shot at earning a shot at tag team gold. And I’m torn on the finish. Unsurprisingly, the Profits and The Usos put on a great match. The Usos dominated the first act after realizing they weren’t taking Montez and Angelo seriously. The Profits found their footing in the second act as soon as the action took to the outside of the ring. And that’s where Jimmy and Jey lost the fight.
The match ended in a count out as Montez and Jey battled it out. Montez got back in the ring before the ref got to 10. Jey? Not so lucky.
On one hand, it’s great these two cats get a title shot. On the other, a count out victory isn’t exactly a vote of confidence. While I’m not a fan of fighting champions for a shot at their title as a device, if they’re doing it, then do it fully. Let the contenders get a decisive victory.
Good match with a flat ending.

No More Strings...
Earlier in the show, Rhea Ripley said Edge held her back. As fate would have it, Rhea found herself in a Fatal 4 Way match with Doudrop, Nikki A.S.H., Liv Morgan, and Alexa Bliss for a shot at Bianca Belair. Lo and behold, she won. The woman earned her shot at the Raw Women’s championship after putting Doudrop in a Rip Tide. I wasn’t wowed by the match, even though it had some good moments like that ending, but I applaud the storytelling. Rhea told us all breaking free from Edge was necessary. Now we see her fly later in the show. Okay, that’s logical, meaningful, and now we see this version of Rhea fight this version of Bianca.
And Rhea has a stable of goons behind her. If only Bianca knew two guys who might have her back...

But Daddy...
The point of this match between Dominik and Veer was simple: Get closer to Rey and Veer. With that in mind, while this wasn’t a great “match” at all, it was okay for what it was. Dominik isn’t the most sympathetic guy for me, so I feel nothing seeing Veer beat him like an African drum. Rey stepping in for his grown ass son is also...weird. But, hey, here we are.

Seriously?
Theory tried matching strength with Lashley. Seriously? No, sir. Lashley signaled his intentions for the Undisputed Universal championship, but challenged Theory for his United States championship in the interim. So yeah, that’s happening.

Poor Cedric
Cedric Alexander told the world at Hell in a Cell that he wants to be his own man and stand on his own two feet. He wrestled Omos this week and the giant took him off said feet quicker than the time it took me to write this sentence. Then the Dirty Dawgs made their return to Raw after a great NXT run. Then what happened? MVP took offense to them taking Omos’ shine, and got kicked in the face for his troubles.

This was a really good episode of Raw. One of my favorites in quite some time. It started on an emotional note with Cody and Seth, moved a lot of stories forward, provided the right amount of comedy, action, intrigue, and a swerve they actually paid off at the end of the show. Count me in.

Grade: A

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by DanieBlinkz(m): 12:03pm On Jun 07, 2022
[quote author=pu7pl3 post=113555047][i][color=#770077] WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

SWERVE’S HOUSE
No disrespect to Swerve, who is one of my favs, but that headline is so necessary. WWE told us at the beginning of Raw that The Judgment Day is adding to its ranks. Why are they making this appointment viewing, I wondered. But, okay, cool. Sure enough, Edge, Rhea, and Damian show up around 10 p.m. and introduce the newest member:
Finn Balor.
Finn came out doing his usual thing, with the jacket and the preening to the crowd, and something smelled fishy. No, I didn’t expect what we got, but I did expect something. In fact, since Finn is the guy, I questioned why they didn’t do this at Hell in a Cell.
Then the swerve hit and it was glorious. Finn stated his reasons for joining. He, like Rhea and Damian, is tired of being told what to do. Edge liked that. Damian continued Finn’s thoughts and said the last obstacle in their way and the last limitation holding them back...is Edge!
Balor, Rhea, and Damian decimated Edge, who was shocked like the rest of us. Edge is the guy who started the group! This whole thing is built on his message and his image. But a group of people fighting against the old guard believed Edge represents everything they don’t like. They put him through the commentary table and gave him a taste of his own medicine with a concerto. I didn’t see it coming, and I loved every moment of it. Edge got a stretcher job too, meaning he’s probably off television for the foreseeable future.
This is the most interesting thing for either of these three in quite some time. Edge called himself “the adult” when he spoke to the crowd tonight. Obviously, that was Rhea, Damian, and Finn’s big issue with his leadership. They want more. They want to rule. And they can’t do it with the old man constantly hogging the spotlight. And they do need to justify Edge’s forced exit. Especially after they just won their match at Hell in a Cell.
How were they held back? Hopefully singles pushes are in store for all three because if not, then Edge wasn’t holding them back from much. Rhea Ripley got her moment later in the show. What say you, Finn and Damian? What comes next week is an important moment for the group but the potential for something special with these three is is so high, it might need a pilot license.

I knew it from day one. WWE and their break up of factions
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 7:49pm On Jun 07, 2022
Wait o, I heard Becky was competing for the 24/7 championship. How true is this info?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:59pm On Jun 07, 2022
ValeeLove:
Wait o, I heard Becky was competing for the 24/7 championship. How true is this info?

100% bro and it was entertaining as hell, she helped elevate everyone involved just by association.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by Kaycee7(m): 8:18pm On Jun 07, 2022
pu7pl3:

100% bro and it was entertaining as hell, she helped elevate everyone involved just by association.
She's about to make the 24/7 championship big time
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:20pm On Jun 07, 2022
Kaycee7:
She's about to make the 24/7 championship big time

Lol the fact that she lost makes me think it's a one and done something grin grin
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:13am On Jun 08, 2022
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Microphone Soloist
Solo Sikoa stepped to Carmelo Hayes when NXT hit the airwaves this week. The man wants his shot because, ya know, he has next. Melo said whatever deal Solo made with Cameron Grimes is null and void since he’s not Grimes. Grayson Waller, who no one likes, poked his nose into everyone else’s business. He wants a piece of Melo, too. Solo chose violence and went after everyone.
We thought it was Waller & Melo vs. Solo in a two-on-one match in the main event. Spoiler for those who didn’t watch the show...
Apolloooooooo.
Yes, Apollo Crews not only made his presence known to Bron Breakker this week, he got busy in the main event as well. And the crowd went wild.
Melo ducked Solo during the impromptu tag match. He ducked him a lot. He wanted all the smoke with Apollo but not even a whiff with Sikoa. That story played throughout the match, either because Melo is scared or feels like denying Solo even a little of what he wants. Which means we got a lot of Apollo and you know what? It was a great look.
Much like Dolph Ziggler looked rejuvenated on the paint splatter brand, so does Apollo. He showed his strength with an incredible delayed vertical suplex on Waller. Showed his quickness with his standing backflips, and showed an ease he flashed in spurts on the main roster. Maybe losing the accent freed his body. Shrug.
While Melo and Waller developed chemistry during the match, there were moments of “hmm.” Waller bumped into Melo a couple times, including an inadvertent tag that put a reluctant Melo in the ring against Sikoa. Grayson is the same cat who dissed Melo when the show started, so there’s no actual partnership here. Keep your friends close and enemies closer is always a smart move, and to these eyes, that’s the game Grayson is playing right now.
When Solo briefly got his hands on Melo, the A champ used Trick Williams to his advantage, as per usual. Partly to save their interaction for a one-on-one match, and the other part is the story of Melo just not wanting anything Solo offers at the moment. In fact, the only times Melo wanted a piece of Solo is when Waller did enough work to put Uce on the mat. Melo might be the man, but he’s definitely a front-runner. He wants the glory that comes with beating Solo without doing the work.
The turning point of the match occurred when Apollo got the hottest of hot tags from Sikoa. Apollo went on a blitz, the match broke down, and Melo finally faced down Solo. The two battled to the outside while Apollo countered Waller’s finishing move into a powerbomb.
And that was all she wrote for Mr. Grayson Waller’s night.
Great match to close out the show with multiple avenues for NXT. Solo and Melo? Sure. Solo and Apollo? Also a possibility. Even before the match, Tony D’Angelo told Melo in no uncertain terms he wants the gold around his waist. That’s a lot of weight for anyone’s shoulders to carry, so we’ll see if Melo’s squat game is up to the challenge.

Broke Out
Tiffany Stratton has it all. Almost everything in life is bestowed upon her while everyone close to her basically worships her greatness. For Tiffany, all of this was a given. But then there’s Roxanne Perez. The young NXt wrestler worked hard for everything. She took long bus rides to train with Booker T. Nothing comes easy for her and she takes nothing for granted.
This is the perfect story for any wrestling story, but definitely a tournament where the winner gets a shot at the title of their choice. That contract means a lot more to Roxanne than Tiffany simply because those opportunities don’t come very often for Ms. Perez. Win or lose, Tiffany will get a shot because life always works in her favor. Even when she’s not trying.
With that perspective, no wonder Roxanne is your NXT Women’s Breakout winner. Tiffany Stratton worked the hell out of this match, taking lead as the heel who grounds her opponent and targets a body part. Tiffany did everything in her power to destroy Roxanne’s shoulder and ground her offense. Stratton only used her explosive offense, like the somersaults and back handspring into the ropes, to show off and denigrate her opponent.
But Tiffany didn’t count on Roxanne’s heart. Even with one arm, and although some of her offense suffered due to that fact, Roxanne stuck around. That high impact offense I mentioned? Tiffany went to the well one too many times when there was no need. She went for a moonsault and ate the mat. Roxanne capitalized on her opponent’s mistake with a Pop Rox, and got a new contract along with the W.
NXT followed this very dope match with a visit from Toxic Attraction. You know how this went: Mandy talked trash, Cora Jade was by her friend’s side, Roxanne got tired of the talk and swung on Mandy. Fight ensues.
What you might not know is Indi Hartwell entered the fray to even Cora and Roxanne’s odds. So we potentially have a three-on-three here with Toxic Attraction on one side, and Indi, Roxanne & Cora on the other. And all of the beef here is logical.
I’m with it.

The Rest
Nobody Likes That
We got our first look at Legado del Fantasma as part of Tony D’Angelo’s Family. Tony “instructed” Santos Escobar to wrestle Nathan Frazer. No LdF music, no LdF flare. This was all about The Family and where Santos fits into their picture. So much so that Tony actually coached Santos and told him not to do certain moves because “nobody likes that.”
Santos hardly kept his focus on Frazer, however, because duh. When he did pay attention, kept Frazer on his heels. But the big moment came in the third act. With Frazer on the ropes, a member of the family tossed Escobar a crowbar. Escobar, dazed and confused, refused the help. That gave Frazer enough time to recoup and finish the match with a Phoenix Splash.
Like I said, good match, but the drama was everything else happening. This is a tough spot for Santos and his crew. One that will inevitably lead to a big blowup. I’m interested if only slightly.

The Sun God Returns
Bron Breakker, fresh off defending his championship at In Your House, asked who’s next. Enter Apollo Crews. Who, apparently, no longer speaks with a “Nigerian” accent! So, kudos for that all around. Apollo congratulated Bron but acknowledged his own unfinished business in NXT.
Apollo basically said “I’ll holla at you” as it relates to Bron and that championship. Apollo was at his best in NXT. If this is his home for the foreseeable future, then let’s hope good things are in store, along with a legitimate challenge for Breakker.

Douse
Alba Fyre made quick work of Tatum Paxley. The first thing worth highlighting is Alba’s crazy athletic ability. She covered a crazy amount of distance with her Senton finisher. Seriously, watch the ending of the match just for that.
The second is Lash Legend’s kick! After the match, Ms. Legend Liu Kang-kicked Alba into another year. With Nikkita on the shelf, Lash picked her next target.

Von Wagner is the New Fetch
They keep trying to make Von Wagner happen. This week, he faced off against Josh Briggs. Briggs won with the help of Jensen’s cast.
Look, it’s just hard for me to enjoy anything involving Von. And when no stakes are involved, that makes it extra hard.

Pretty Handicap
Pretty Deadly disrespected Chase U earlier in the show. Then, to make it worse, they accosted Bodhi Hayward before their tag match with Andre Chase and Bodhi! The fiends! The show must go on, as they say, and the tag match morphed into a handicap match. Chase fought valiantly, but there’s no way former tag champs loose to one man.
Bodhi crawled to ringside because Chase needed his help, and Thea Hail followed. Hail got on the apron and asked for a tag that never came. However, she smack fire out of Elton Prince.
The Chase U stuff continues its reign of greatness, and Andre Chase is one of the most sympathetic characters in the territory.

This was a very solid show. We got a nice little reset after In Your House, a big return, and possibly a roadmap for the summer.

Grade: B+

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 8:26am On Jun 08, 2022
pu7pl3:

lol, would you like it if she was your relative? You guys just care about entertainment, no one cares if this thing makes sense anymore. Oya replace Becky with Roman, Cena and Stone Cold and see how it looks. Modern Wrestling.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:32am On Jun 08, 2022
ValeeLove:
lol, would you like it if she was your relative? You guys just care about entertainment, no one cares if this thing makes sense anymore. Oya replace Becky with Roman, Cena and Stone Cold and see how it looks. Modern Wrestling.

You talk like it was something demeaning, you didn't even watch the thing...even if it was Roman or Stone cold it would still be dope.
We care about entertainment that's why we watch the show.
If something is done well and it entertains me that's a W for them.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 8:57am On Jun 08, 2022
Rock feuded with hurricane, undertaker won the hardcore title, stone cold had a cowboy sing along with Kurt angle during his heel run.
No matter how super serious we want to take it. Wrestling is still grown men playing fight in their underwear grin
pu7pl3:

You talk like it was something demeaning, you didn't even watch the thing...even if it was Roman or Stone cold it would still be dope.

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 9:12am On Jun 08, 2022
pu7pl3:

I'll watch it. Even though I don't watch WWE stuffs like this and almost at all, I'll watch it. But I'm pretty sure it's not going to be good. Entertainment is not even possible without logic, but you guys are entertained by a program with less logic. I'll watch it still and I'll give you my thoughts.

(1) (2) (3) ... (255) (256) (257) (258) (259) (260) (261) ... (298) (Reply)

Cuando Seas Mia: 'When You Are Mine' / ARROW and THE FLASH fan page....... / Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 181
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.