Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,579 members, 7,820,089 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:32 AM

Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House - TV/Movies (281) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House (290474 Views)

Games Of Thrones: House Of The Dragon Official Discussion Thread / Nigerians Storm Gotv Facebook Page Over WWE / Rachel Johnson Goes Topless On Live TV Show During Brexit Discussion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) ... (298) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:57am On Apr 15, 2023
WWE SMACKDOWN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Samoan rift?¿
Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn opened Friday Night SmackDown this week to talk about how uncertain things are in WWE right now, what with a Draft coming up, and no one knowing who is going where or what the hell is going to happen. The one thing they do know, however, is The Usos will be coming for a rematch for the tag team titles they lost at WrestleMania.
At some point.
The Usos showed up to agree but also to reiterate that there are no cracks in The Bloodline and, actually, they’re just as strong as ever. Instead, Jey attempted to create division between Owens and Zayn, claiming it would be Sami to turn on his “brother.”
Zayn, in the easiest position one could be in as a babyface, got to simply speak the truth. Jimmy & Jey can ignore the obvious but it doesn’t make it any less damning. It’s only a matter of time before the ticking of the clock stops.
All that’s left at that point is the kaboom.
Naturally, a fight broke out and Matt Riddle once again showed up just in time to even the odds. His beef with Sikoa goes back to last year. So Adam Pearce booked a match between the two for the main event.
Later in the show, Sami apologized to Riddle for his part in what happened to him last year while telling him to be careful. Owens said to hell with that, go get pissed off and take it out on Sikoa. Riddle settled on doing his own thing — getting payback.
Later still, just before Riddle and Sikoa could get to scrapping, Paul Heyman hopped on the microphone to let us all know a rematch for the tag team titles has indeed been booked for two weeks from tonight in Corpus Christi, Texas, with some help from The Tribal Chief himself and some muscling of WWE management. What was notable about this was the fact that Heyman made sure to say a title change would happen because Reigns is losing patience with “two of you” and while he was pointing at Zayn & Owens, he was looking towards The Usos when he said that.
Foreshadowing?
Finally, it was time for Sikoa vs. Riddle and it was very much a main event style Bloodline match. The Usos and KO & Zayn were tossed out by the referee fairly early but both just flat out ignored those orders and came back later to brawl at ringside. Riddle did a dive to the outside to help deal with it but ended up eating a Samoan Spike in the ring and taking the loss.
After the match, he slammed Riddle onto the announcer’s table, which didn’t break, and then quite literally buried him by tipping it over on top of him. One hell of a way to end SmackDown, with Owens and Zayn tending to Riddle and The Bloodline standing tall.

Complaints department
They did a championship celebration for the new tag team champs, Liv Morgan & Raquel Rodriguez.
Here’s my question — if Trish Stratus took out Lita so that she could work her way into the title match alongside Becky Lynch so that she could turn on her, wouldn’t that indicate she threw the match on purpose? You could have argued that she worked that match in earnest if she didn’t take Lita out beforehand but her doing so means she had to have thrown the match just to set up backstabbing Becky.
Which means they did a celebration for a team who won the titles because someone basically gave them away.
Yes, I actually did sit and ponder this for way too long, why do you ask?
Anyway, The Complaint Department, Sonya Deville and Chelsea Green, interrupted the aforementioned celebration to, you guessed it, complain about the fact that they’re being overlooked. The champs actually welcomed the confrontation and even went so far as to say they’d talk to Adam Pearce and get a tag title match booked.

Strong style
A big part of the promotion for this show over the past week centered around the return of Shinsuke Nakamura, who hadn’t been seen dating back to last year. Then, for whatever reason, he wasn’t given a featured spot on the show.
Weird!
Despite this, he hit the scene with some sweet new gear to await his opponent for his return match, Madcap Moss.
Yeah.
Emma told Moss behind-the-curtain before his entrance that “we need this” and he needed to go out and show why he’s worth a high draft pick. Naturally, he went out and got absolutely ran through. Emma tried to get Moss to attack him after the match and Nakamura embarrassed him again.
After, Scarlett was shown with a card that had Nakamura on it. She set it on a table, just in time for Karrion Kross to slam his fist on it.
“Tick tock.”
Hey, this could be fun!

All the rest
-After being set up with a backstage segment last week, and built to with impassioned promos on social media in the days leading up to it, Xavier Woods and LA Knight got together for a singles match. Woods mentioned there being so much more to him than anyone seems to realize and he sure looked like he was working his ass off out there. The match was far better than likely anyone suspected it would be and had an interesting finish — Knight trying to win by holding the tights on a rollup and the referee refusing to count because of it only for Woods to do the exact same thing right after and score the victory because the ref didn’t see him holding the tights. I’m interested to see where they take this from here, but it is notable they protected Knight to some degree with that finish.
We didn’t have to wait long to find out, as Woods went backstage and played some trumpet to interrupt an Imperium conversation. He goofed off just enough to piss GUNTHER off and they booked an Intercontinental championship match for sometime before the upcoming Draft.

-The Judgment Day came by the blue brand this week so Damian Priest could cut a promo on Bad Bunny, warning him off putting his hands on his crew lest he end up going through a table like he did last time. This was a lead-in to his match against Santos Escobar of the LWO, which, like Woods vs. Knight before it, was way better than it had any business being. The LWO and Judgment Day getting involved only added to the fun, but it was an awesome straight up singles match even before that. In the end, Priest won with South of Heaven. Priest went to follow up the win by putting Escobar through the announcer’s table but Rey Mysterio hit the scene to fight him off, then have an awesome little short exchange with Dom before Priest and Rhea Ripley pulled him out of there. Still a ton of heat here, and just so much fun watching Rey in there with his son going crazy.

-The Viking Raiders attacked Braun Strowman & Ricochet backstage, with Strowman getting blindside tackled out of the picture and Ricochet getting put through a table. Erik, Ivar, and Valhalla just stood there and screamed at him after doing so. Intense!

I really liked this show!

Grade: B+
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 11:20am On Apr 16, 2023
Johnny Boxing

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 11:53am On Apr 16, 2023
CoolUsername:
Johnny Boxing
I was wondering where the hell this guy was? Among the pandemic releases this was one guy I wanted back. I even thought he would be signed to AEW after they picked up his wife and other ex-wwe talents
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 12:40pm On Apr 16, 2023
samistry:
I was wondering where the hell this guy was? Among the pandemic releases this was one guy I wanted back. I even thought he would be signed to AEW after they picked up his wife and other ex-wwe talents

Once upon a time, he was one of my favorite wrestlers. His athleticism and parkour-like in-ring style were very cool.

I remember that he had a very brief stint at AEW under the name Johnny Elite. However, not much came out of that.

Apparently, he's doing all right as a content creator now. He just fought and won a boxing match at Creator Clash 2, accompanied by a bunch of other wrestlers like Karrion Kross, LA Knight, Scarlett Bordeaux, “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan, Mojo Rawley, Josh Barnett, and NXT commentator Vic Joseph.

He even called KSI out after the match. On the off chance he lands a match with KSI he would be laughing to the bank.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 1:29pm On Apr 16, 2023
pu7pl3:

Samoan rift?¿
Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn opened Friday Night SmackDown this week to talk about how uncertain things are in WWE right now, what with a Draft coming up, and no one knowing who is going where or what the hell is going to happen. The one thing they do know, however, is The Usos will be coming for a rematch for the tag team titles they lost at WrestleMania.
At some point.
The Usos showed up to agree but also to reiterate that there are no cracks in The Bloodline and, actually, they’re just as strong as ever. Instead, Jey attempted to create division between Owens and Zayn, claiming it would be Sami to turn on his “brother.”
Zayn, in the easiest position one could be in as a babyface, got to simply speak the truth. Jimmy & Jey can ignore the obvious but it doesn’t make it any less damning. It’s only a matter of time before the ticking of the clock stops.
All that’s left at that point is the kaboom.
Naturally, a fight broke out and Matt Riddle once again showed up just in time to even the odds. His beef with Sikoa goes back to last year. So Adam Pearce booked a match between the two for the main event.
Later in the show, Sami apologized to Riddle for his part in what happened to him last year while telling him to be careful. Owens said to hell with that, go get pissed off and take it out on Sikoa. Riddle settled on doing his own thing — getting payback.
Later still, just before Riddle and Sikoa could get to scrapping, Paul Heyman hopped on the microphone to let us all know a rematch for the tag team titles has indeed been booked for two weeks from tonight in Corpus Christi, Texas, with some help from The Tribal Chief himself and some muscling of WWE management. What was notable about this was the fact that Heyman made sure to say a title change would happen because Reigns is losing patience with “two of you” and while he was pointing at Zayn & Owens, he was looking towards The Usos when he said that.
Foreshadowing?
Finally, it was time for Sikoa vs. Riddle and it was very much a main event style Bloodline match. The Usos and KO & Zayn were tossed out by the referee fairly early but both just flat out ignored those orders and came back later to brawl at ringside. Riddle did a dive to the outside to help deal with it but ended up eating a Samoan Spike in the ring and taking the loss.
After the match, he slammed Riddle onto the announcer’s table, which didn’t break, and then quite literally buried him by tipping it over on top of him. One hell of a way to end SmackDown, with Owens and Zayn tending to Riddle and The Bloodline standing tall.

Complaints department
They did a championship celebration for the new tag team champs, Liv Morgan & Raquel Rodriguez.
Here’s my question — if Trish Stratus took out Lita so that she could work her way into the title match alongside Becky Lynch so that she could turn on her, wouldn’t that indicate she threw the match on purpose? You could have argued that she worked that match in earnest if she didn’t take Lita out beforehand but her doing so means she had to have thrown the match just to set up backstabbing Becky.
Which means they did a celebration for a team who won the titles because someone basically gave them away.
Yes, I actually did sit and ponder this for way too long, why do you ask?
Anyway, The Complaint Department, Sonya Deville and Chelsea Green, interrupted the aforementioned celebration to, you guessed it, complain about the fact that they’re being overlooked. The champs actually welcomed the confrontation and even went so far as to say they’d talk to Adam Pearce and get a tag title match booked.

Strong style
A big part of the promotion for this show over the past week centered around the return of Shinsuke Nakamura, who hadn’t been seen dating back to last year. Then, for whatever reason, he wasn’t given a featured spot on the show.
Weird!
Despite this, he hit the scene with some sweet new gear to await his opponent for his return match, Madcap Moss.
Yeah.
Emma told Moss behind-the-curtain before his entrance that “we need this” and he needed to go out and show why he’s worth a high draft pick. Naturally, he went out and got absolutely ran through. Emma tried to get Moss to attack him after the match and Nakamura embarrassed him again.
After, Scarlett was shown with a card that had Nakamura on it. She set it on a table, just in time for Karrion Kross to slam his fist on it.
“Tick tock.”
Hey, this could be fun!

All the rest
-After being set up with a backstage segment last week, and built to with impassioned promos on social media in the days leading up to it, Xavier Woods and LA Knight got together for a singles match. Woods mentioned there being so much more to him than anyone seems to realize and he sure looked like he was working his ass off out there. The match was far better than likely anyone suspected it would be and had an interesting finish — Knight trying to win by holding the tights on a rollup and the referee refusing to count because of it only for Woods to do the exact same thing right after and score the victory because the ref didn’t see him holding the tights. I’m interested to see where they take this from here, but it is notable they protected Knight to some degree with that finish.
We didn’t have to wait long to find out, as Woods went backstage and played some trumpet to interrupt an Imperium conversation. He goofed off just enough to piss GUNTHER off and they booked an Intercontinental championship match for sometime before the upcoming Draft.

-The Judgment Day came by the blue brand this week so Damian Priest could cut a promo on Bad Bunny, warning him off putting his hands on his crew lest he end up going through a table like he did last time. This was a lead-in to his match against Santos Escobar of the LWO, which, like Woods vs. Knight before it, was way better than it had any business being. The LWO and Judgment Day getting involved only added to the fun, but it was an awesome straight up singles match even before that. In the end, Priest won with South of Heaven. Priest went to follow up the win by putting Escobar through the announcer’s table but Rey Mysterio hit the scene to fight him off, then have an awesome little short exchange with Dom before Priest and Rhea Ripley pulled him out of there. Still a ton of heat here, and just so much fun watching Rey in there with his son going crazy.

-The Viking Raiders attacked Braun Strowman & Ricochet backstage, with Strowman getting blindside tackled out of the picture and Ricochet getting put through a table. Erik, Ivar, and Valhalla just stood there and screamed at him after doing so. Intense!

I really liked this show!

Grade: B+
They should have pulled the trigger on ending the bloodline at mania. Now, it appears everything is just drifting along.
The Sami/Owens v. Usos feud should have been a one and done match. On the plus side, it's nice of them to recall the reason for Riddle beef with Solo.

The women's tag title scene further justifies the reason Sasha and Naomi quit. They don't give a damn about it. I thought Papa H booking would be better but alas.
Damage Ctrl had a long but nothing reign only to lose to Becky and lita. Who further lost it to another team in less than a month.
No disrespect to Liv/Raquel team as they have good chemistry with a powerhouse/underdog dynamic but we need credible challengers.

I expect Karrion Kross to go over Nakamura but then what happens? Kross can't challenge Gunther or Reigns as both guys are heels, still in the midst of their undefeated streak.

The Mysterio fued still has more legs on it; coupled with the addition of Bad Bunny keeps it fresh. They will draw more eyes from the latino audience as the PPV/ PLE will be held in Puerto Rico.
Bad Bunny and Damien priest also have history which is a good long term story telling.
Only nitpick is Santos Escobar being a sacrificial jobber for the feud.

Look how they massacred my boy, LA Knight. Yeah cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by samistry(m): 1:32pm On Apr 16, 2023
CoolUsername:

Once upon a time, he was one of my favorite wrestlers. His athleticism and parkour-like in-ring style were very cool.

I remember that he had a very brief stint at AEW under the name Johnny Elite. However, not much came out of that.

Apparently, he's doing all right as a content creator now. He just fought and won a boxing match at Creator Clash 2, accompanied by a bunch of other wrestlers like Karrion Kross, LA Knight, Scarlett Bordeaux, “Hacksaw” Jim Duggan, Mojo Rawley, Josh Barnett, and NXT commentator Vic Joseph.

He even called KSI out after the match. On the off chance he lands a match with KSI he would be laughing to the bank.
Nice
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 3:44pm On Apr 16, 2023
CoolUsername:

I just can't get myself to taking all these influencer boxers seriously tbh.
I know they make alot of bank but I just don't see them as real Boxers I don't just know why.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 3:46pm On Apr 16, 2023
samistry:
They should have pulled the trigger on ending the bloodline at mania. Now, it appears everything is just drifting along.
The Sami/Owens v. Usos feud should have been a one and done match. On the plus side, it's nice of them to recall the reason for Riddle beef with Solo.

The women's tag title scene further justifies the reason Sasha and Naomi quit. They don't give a damn about it. I thought Papa H booking would be better but alas.
Damage Ctrl had a long but nothing reign only to lose to Becky and lita. Who further lost it to another team in less than a month.
No disrespect to Liv/Raquel team as they have good chemistry with a powerhouse/underdog dynamic but we need credible challengers.

I expect Karrion Kross to go over Nakamura but then what happens? Kross can't challenge Gunther or Reigns as both guys are heels, still in the midst of their undefeated streak.

The Mysterio fued still has more legs on it; coupled with the addition of Bad Bunny keeps it fresh. They will draw more eyes from the latino audience as the PPV/ PLE will be held in Puerto Rico.
Bad Bunny and Damien priest also have history which is a good long term story telling.
Only nitpick is Santos Escobar being a sacrificial jobber for the feud.

Look how they massacred my boy, LA Knight. Yeah cry

LA Knight will win MITB

You heard it here first. YEEEAAAHHH
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 4:07pm On Apr 16, 2023
pu7pl3:

I just can't get myself to taking all these influencer boxers seriously tbh.
I know they make alot of bank but I just don't see them as real Boxers I don't just know why.

They aren't real boxers. They are just popular content creators boxing.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 4:08pm On Apr 16, 2023
pu7pl3:

LA Knight will win MITB

You heard it here first. YEEEAAAHHH

That's just a fact of life!

YEEEAAAHHH!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 4:16pm On Apr 16, 2023
CoolUsername:

They aren't real boxers. They are just popular content creators boxing.

I'm glad you share my sentiments
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 1:32pm On Apr 18, 2023
Omosapiens unite

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 1:34pm On Apr 18, 2023
WWE RAW REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Eye for an Eye
Paul Heyman engineered a brief alliance between the Bloodline and the Judgment Day. It’s rare WWE gives us two factions working together in this fashion, but it makes perfect sense. We get heels working with heels all the time towards one common goal, so why not get heel factions working together? Little touches like that make the world feel real and alive, so please do more of that.
Before getting to Raw’s main event six-man tag with Sami Zayn, Kevin Owens & Matt Riddle on one side of the ring and the Judgment Day on the other side, I want to give a shoutout to Rhea Ripley. Actually, Rhea and Solo Sikoa. During Raw’s opening segment, we got a stare down between the Bloodline and the Judgment Day.
But the absolute best part came when Rhea and Solo stared darts through each other. Paul noticed and comically asked Jey Uso to switch places with his younger brother. But Rhea switched places with Finn Balor just to keep her eyes squarely on Solo. Brilliant.
The fact that I want a Rhea and Solo match says so much about both of them. This might be a Hip Hop deep cut, but Rhea gives off Queen Latifah in the Native Tongues vibes. Years ago, Busta Rhymes said Latifah was the hardest member in their crew; that’s Rhea. And all want now is her vs. Solo. She can even put the championship on line for all I care. Would that make sense? No. But whatever.
Heyman charged the Judgment Day with eliminating Sami, KO, & Matt before Puerto Rico. That proved easier said than done once Rhea got herself eliminated from ringside. After several interferences, mostly directed towards KO, the ref caught her right in the act and threw her to the locker room. That made everything easy for the tag champs and Matt, who got ahead in the match and won with the numbers finally even.
While I enjoyed the match quite a bit, the aftermath proved more memorable. The Bloodline rushed the ring after Judgment Day fumbled, followed by Rey Mysterio and the LWO. We got a big brawl that saw Damian Priest slammed on a table and the babyfaces stand tall while begging for more fight.
I’m all about faction warfare and this is giving me all of that plus more. More importantly, everyone looks good because they’re all in a big feud, with the LWO raising their stock considerably. One wonders how Roman Reigns handles the Judgment Day not holding up their end of the bargain and the LWO putting their nose in his business....
Drama!

B-Sides
Say Your Prayers
Part of the unholy alliance between the Bloodline and the Judgment Day saw Solo wrestle Rey Mysterio Jr. Solo’s mission? Obliterate Rey and, to quote a Power Rangers villain, make it as though Rey never existed. What really got me here is just how good Solo looks. Of course Rey helped because he’s Rey, but Solo completely blends his persona with his moves. There’s no wasted energy or movements, and he never looks out of his element.
Solo dominated this match for the most part, with Rey giving a few hope spots and even landing a 619. But the Usos got involved, which brought out the LWO! Props to WWE for smoothly flowing into a potential feud between the Bloodline and the LWO.
But even with all that help, it wasn’t enough. Rey went down even with all the shenanigans, then Rey and the LWO got more punishment when the match ended. Solo and the Bloodline had a mission this week and they fulfilled it during Raw’s first hour.

Lost Ones
The end seems near for Damage CTRL. Sure, that’s stating the obvious, but we got another layer to the story this week when Bianca Belair pinned Dakota Kai. While they wrestled a non-title match, it still showed that while Dakota is good, she’s not good enough. She gave Bianca a run for her money and countered the KOD a couple times as well, but the champ is the champ for a reason. The writing is on the wall for a Bailey meltdown where she complains about giving up her title shot to IYO SKY after IYO loses, and that Bianca beating both women proves she’s carrying dead weight.
Raw started strong with two entertaining matches out the gate with larger implications.

No Hook
Cody Rhodes didn’t show up to Little Rock with any of his usual schtick in his mind. Cody showed up in the middle of the ring ready to wrestle. Adam Pearce, the worst manager ever, reminded Cody he’s not medically cleared and the match just cannot happen. He respects Cody’s heart and aims, but yeah, the facts are the facts.
But then Cody lost it. He grabbed a chair and went upside the head of several “security” members after Adam made his match with Brock Lesnar at Backlash official.
Brock showed up, dressed in all black like the Omen, but no actual fight between the two. Which is the right move. Keep them a part from each other until Puerto Rico, while giving us a new side of Cody. He lost at WrestleMania then Brock punked him the very next night. And he kept all that rage bottled up because he’s Cody.
I wish we got that fire the night after Mania because he got screwed and took it very graciously. But better later than never, right?

Ain't No Love
Miz clearly felt disrespected after the last few weeks. WrestleMania? Disrespectful. Raw after Mania? Disrespectful! With that in mind, Miz picked a fight with Seth Rollins. And why not? Miz wins whether he gets the W or not if he simply looks competitive against Seth. But he attacked Seth before Seth even hit the ring, showing Miz meant business and is more than a joke.
After that, these two put on a very dope match filled with big moves, counters, false finishes, and plenty of drama. Like I said, Miz comes out on top regardless of the outcome. I’m curious where Miz goes from here and whether a feud between these two is on the horizon. Or maybe I’m bugging and the match means nothing in the larger scheme. But either way, watch the match now and get reminded that Miz is truly excellent at this pro wrestling thing.

Capital Punishment
All throughout the solid, if unspectacular, match between Bobby Lashley and Austin Theory, I wondered about Bronson Reed’s presence. No way the match finished without Bronson making his presence felt. Right?
The answer is yes. Bronson picked his spot and interfered right when Bobby put Theory in the Hurt Lock. Bobby picked up the DQ win but whew, he didn’t look like the winner. Reed kept the beatdown going after the bell, and even got some help from Theory, who dropkicked Bobby during the All Mighty’s last ditch effort at putting Bronson in a Hurt Lock.
Just give me this match at Backlash and put it inside of something. Please? Is that too much to ask?

Story to Tell
Trish Stratus’ reasoning for the heel turn worked for me. She took umbrage with Becky Lynch claiming that the Four “Horse Ladies” revolutionized women’s wrestling. She took umbrage with fans and Becky regarding her as a footnote in WWE’s history. And she took a lot of umbrage with Lita playing Becky’s sidekick. Trish says she only played the sidekick role to play the long con with Becky; get up close and personal and see if she really believes her own hype.
And yeah, Becky does.
They painted Trish as this devious mastermind that goes back to her initial days as a heel manger where she knew all the angles and played them perfectly. But it also felt true because her feelings, even if you disagree, are understandable. As she said, she’s nobody’s sidekick, she’s not a nostalgia act, and she’s no one childhood fantasy. Trish took out Lita to “put her out of her misery” and purposefully lost the championship match just to get to this point.
Trish still has it and there’s potential here for a really good story between WWE’s past and its present, while giving us a different version of Trish that harkens back to her early days.

As One
I thought WWE might play an angle where Chelsea Green & Sonya Deville get underestimated going into their tag team championship match against Raquel Rodriguez & Liv Morgan. But they’re going with the idea that Chelsea & Sonya deserve more respect and might be the champs if the champs take them lightly.
Chelsea & Sonya defeated Michin & Candice LeRae and earned a shot at that those tag titles. It was a pretty sound defeat too. That’s the right call going into a championship match where we need some belief that the champs might lose. Plus, going against a heel team for their first title defense benefits Raquel & Liv. I like the disrespect shown towards the champs at the end of the match when Chelsea threw water at Liv. That’s so in character and feels like something a Karen might do.
I don’t know if these four will have the best match on SmackDown, but they will surprise a few folks.

Good matches, few big storyline developments, pretty seamless writing and a well-paced show. Look at that! That’s all I ask for if it’s a three-hour show and thankfully, WWE delivered that this week. This also serves as a perfect lead to SmackDown
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 1:45pm On Apr 18, 2023
Pu7pl3 how would you feel if Brock gave Cody a John Cena squash?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:27pm On Apr 18, 2023
ValeeLove:

I'd feel like I've been ripped off by fraudsters
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:12am On Apr 19, 2023
WWE NXT REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

What’s My Name?
Something about this week’s Grayson Waller Effect didn’t feel right. I finally put my finger on it after typing that first sentence: it’s too meta.
Like far too many WWE feuds these days, we got too much focus on “stealing the show,” “going viral,” and things that take away from the results in the ring that truly should matter more. Grayson crowed about his match at Stand & Deliver stealing the show when earlier he insulted McKenzie for bringing up the unsanctioned match since it “never happened.” Grayson talked about his relevance, his stardom, and everything he accomplished without a championship. So, yeah, why does he need the championship? Why does he even want it?
I don’t mean to sound down on Grayson because I’m not. I think he’s very dope and great at his job. And I believe he and Carmelo Hayes will tear down the house at Spring Breakin. But it’s more of an issue with storytelling in general at this point and the mixed messages.
Booker T and Vic Joseph stress how important winning and losing are on a weekly basis. Prior to his championship match at Stand & Deliver, Melo talked about his desire and need for that championship belt. Even during his interview with McKenzie, Grayson mentioned being better than Melo and the championship solidifying that belief.
So why did it feel like the least important thing during that segment?
I’m on board with Grayson as Melo’s first opponent for his championship reign, but I suppose NXT put themselves in a corner with that move since Grayson’s win loss record over the past few months isn’t exactly stellar. When Melo called him out on that, Grayson really had no real retort other than the bluster I mentioned a few sentences ago. And to that point, the champion highlighting his opponent’s recent allergic reaction to winning doesn’t help matters either.
They got into a pretty funny insult fest with some choice lines (Melo’s last one about putting Grayson’s shoe on a telephone wire killed me even if the audience didn’t quite get it), but that’s all it was: Two people insulting each other for the last few minutes of the show rather than truly selling the match or each other.
I think about Roman Reigns’ recent feud with Cody Rhodes. Roman as the overconfident heel champ threw verbal jabs at Cody but his facial expressions and body language gave voice to his fear. And Paul Heyman made sure he presented Cody as a very big problem and threat to everything Reigns accomplished thus far.
With Melo and Grayson, we have two cocky and conceited wrestlers who clearly don’t respect each other, despite what Grayson said earlier in the show. And, to be fair, they only get one show to sell this match, so time isn’t exactly on their side. But there’s a way where both men stay true to character while making the other look great.
If Grayson’s schtick is the championship needs him and he doesn’t need the championship, then let’s not give them microphones. Just let them beat each other up in a pull apart brawl. I don’t care how many shows one steals or how viral they go in a world where wins get you closer to championships and championships mean everything.
Maybe I’m overthinking it but I also feel that NXT, and WWE as a whole, overthinks it at times by avoiding simple solutions. I didn’t need these two verbally jousting and I’m not sure it created anymore anticipation for the match than already existed. It had its moments but overall, it left me wanting.

B-Sides
On My Own
First off, I love when NXT abruptly starts.
The show kicked off with a video package from last week but that all came to an end when Vic Joseph’s voice cut through and we saw the combatants in the triple threat tag team match going to war before the bell rang.
NXT does this a lot and it’s not always effective, but I appreciate the fact that they do it at all. It makes the world feel lived-in and real, while also making the show feel unpredictable. My largest issue with Raw that goes unsaid in my reviews is the show feels scripted and inorganic. NXT, even on weeks I’m down on the show, never has that problem.
Three main takeaways from the triple threat tag title match: Julius Creed, the match itself rocked my world, and Ivy Nile might not be the positive that the Bros. Creed believe. Julius showed up and showed out. This was his match from the beginning. So impressive, so effortless, and just a beast.
Speaking of Julius, his affection for Ivy probably cost the Creeds the NXT Tag Team championships. A member of the Dyad accidentally knocked Ivy down once he tumbled off the top turnbuckle. Rather than continuing the ass whoopings he and his brother handed out like copies of Watchtower on a Saturday morning, Julius bolted to Ivy’s side. That left Brutus all by his lonesome with the Gallus boys.
Even if you missed the match, you know what happened at that point. Gallus boys still on top.
I wonder how Brutus reacts to this. I even wonder how Ivy reacts because we know how she feels about championships and winning. Either way, this was Julius Creed’s coming out party and if you watched it, you can say you remember when.

You Know My Style
Noam Dar got a nice sparring session against Myles Borne. No further development on his Heritage Cup invitational but hey we got a match.

Many Men
Bron Breakker’s heel turn is working for me. He’s straight up disrespecting everything and everyone he deems beneath him. This week? He speared Odyssey Jones, effectively sending Jones out the ring and stopping whatever match scheduled for that time slot.
After talking trash about Jones, he spent most of his time running down Chase U. Obviously we all hate that, but none more than Duke Hudson. Or so it would seem.
Duke puffed out his chest and talked a lot about defending Chase U’s honor and standing up for Andre specifically. Kinda.
In reality, Duke put Andre squarely in Bron’s crosshairs, continuing last week’s cowardly behavior where he ran away from Bron faster than anything from Randy Moss’ rookie year. Duke challenged Bron on Andre’s behalf, practically feeding Chase U’s leader to Bron on a silver platter at Spring Breakin. I do hope we eventually get to this Duke vs. Andre match because the teasing feels torturous at this point.

Big Momma Thang
Roxanne Perez never gives up. That’s the main headline from her very dope match with Zoey Stark this week. That plays into Zoey’s whole thing that she’s the uncrowned NXT Women’s champ and that no one else is on her level.
The match illustrated that in one very big way when Zoey showed frustration at the fact Roxanne kept getting up no matter what she threw at her. That Roxanne hit her with a Pop Rox out of nowhere from the top turnbuckle, countering Zoey’s move no less, really emphasized that larger point.
But while Roxanne celebrated her first victory since dropping the championship, the current champ made her way ringside. Indi Hartwell greeted the former champ and cut to the chase: Indi vs. Roxanne for the championship at Spring Breakin.
Tiffany Stratton hit the ring in protest, of course, and got under Indi’s skin. Indi showed some fire and even called Tiffany a bimbo. And just like that, the one-on-one match turned into a triple threat as Indi puts her title on the line against Roxanne and Tiffany next week. I like this entire segment and I’m looking forward to this match.

The Chase
Well, I thought this might happen.
No matter what Gigi Dolin does, she can’t shake Jacy Jayne. Gigi challenged Cora Jade after Cora clowned her last week. Although, if I may say, I see nothing wrong with anything Gigi does on Instagram. Purely for professional reasons.
But I digress. Gigi and Cora’s match barely got off the starting line because Jacy showed up. Gigi took her focus off Cora and put quite the beating on her former tag partner. She even tossed her over the commentary table, much to Booker T’s chagrin.
But while celebrating her dominance over her rival, Gigi fell victim to Cora and took an L. Jacy laughed while Gigi fumed. Later in the show, Jacy took umbrage with Gigi’s heartfelt story about growing up under her mother’s thumb and caring for her little brother. Jacy made it personal and that bodes well for a feud that is inherently personal.
Lyra Valkyria showed up in a way that might make Mortal Kombat characters jealous and challenged Cora to a match at Spring Breakin. Cora accepted because, as Lyra said, the time for talking is over.

All That I Got is You
We got a new and improved Brooks Jensen this week. Dress shirt, slacks, fresh kicks, glasses, and looking more like Kiana’s boyfriend and less like Josh Briggs’ partner. Josh tried talking to Brooks to no avail. Brooks & Kiana challenged Josh & Fallon Henley to a mixed tag match at Spring Breakin. Yee-haw, bitch.
Now, obviously the idea here is Kiana’s pulling the wool over Brooks’ eyes and he’s falling for the okie doke. But I always hope for something that subverts expectations, so there’s a small chance Brooks is right about his friends interfering in his life to its detriment.
Let’s get it.

24 Hours to Live
Wes Lee wrestles every match like it’s his last.
I love watching his matches as of late because the story about him possibly fighting too much and putting his body through hell means there’s always something in his way. Namely himself. Wes not only puts his championship on the line but battles his opponent and human biology.
Drew Gulak & Charlie Dempsey spoke to that fact and during their match, Charlie made sure Wes felt every blow. Actually, even before the bell rang, Drew got rough with the North American champ. Apparently Wes might break the record for most North American championship defenses and we all know that’s his goal. But how much will he sacrifice for that record?
Wes & Charlie wrestled a very physical match that Wes barely survived. Actually, after eeking out a W, Drew & Charlie issued the traditional post match beatdown, which clearly plays into Wes’ bodily wear and tear.
I don’t know if Charlie dethrones Wes but I like him softening him up for the person who eventually does.

Anger in the Nation
I really like Dijak in the ring but I don’t like the gimmick. Everything about him just screams “try hard.” He disrespected a cameraman, which upset Apollo Crews. Apollo is a standup guy so yes, they wrestled, and yes, they killed it. I never predicted Apollo and Dijak working well together but wonders never cease.
Dijak got the very close victory and continued pummeling Apollo afterward until Ilja Dragunov made the save. Dragunov isn’t finished with Dijak.

Spazzola
Tony D’Angelo & Stacks Lorenzo challenged Pretty Deadly to a Trunk match at Spring Breakin. Yup, you read that right. First team who puts the other team in a car trunk (I assume) wins. No pun intended, but this sounds like a destruction derby waiting to happen and I can’t wait.

NXT started on a high note this week and maintained that energy throughout. I wish the ending landed better for me though. As it stands, Spring Breakin sounds like a lot of fun next week and I hope everyone reading this is just as excited as I am. Also? Mr. Stone finally got Grayson Waller to open up and apparently they’re still a thing...rendering that match moot?
Curious about your thoughts on the Grayson Waller Effect. Anyone agree with me or do you have a different opinion or angle?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 10:49am On Apr 19, 2023
pu7pl3:

I'd feel like I've been ripped off by fraudsters
lol. That's quite right. Don't be surprised IF it happens though.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 11:53am On Apr 19, 2023
ValeeLove:

Then me and my friend Mark will stop watching.

Seriously though, I'll be complaining alongside the IWC.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:36pm On Apr 19, 2023
ValeeLove:
lol. That's quite right. Don't be surprised IF it happens though.

I want to be optimistic

1 Like

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 7:36pm On Apr 19, 2023
CoolUsername:

Then me and my friend Mark will stop watching.

Seriously though, I'll be complaining alongside the IWC.

You and your friend Mark need to chill grin especially Mark
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:38am On Apr 22, 2023

This was an interesting episode of Friday Night SmackDown if only because, well, there was no real narrative flow to it. It was very much just a series of matches with a couple of backstage segments thrown in.
There was only one in-ring promo the entire evening — though you could argue there were two, if you count the few words The Complaint Department said before they challenged for the tag team titles. The Usos were the ones (I’m sorry) who got that time, vowing to defeat Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn to win their titles back next week.
That was also the lead-in to the main event, Matt Riddle taking on Solo Sikoa in a No Disqualification match that had maybe the most obvious ending in the history of television. It was a No DQ match, The Usos were in the building, but Owens and Zayn were not.
Gee, I wonder how that would play out.
Sure enough, Jimmy & Jey interfered, Riddle was pinned, and then The Bloodline put him through a table, standing tall to end the last episode for the blue brand before we head into the Draft.
The match was fine. It was all fine.
But that doesn’t mean Roman Reigns’ presence isn’t sorely missed. I quite like Sikoa and think he’s got a bright future as a singles star apart from The Bloodline but there’s only so much story they can tell without The Tribal Chief around.
I guess that’s why they just went back to beating Riddle again.

All the rest
-This show opened with the LWO and The Judgment Day continuing their issues in the form of a tag team match pitting Rey Mysterio & Santos Escobar against Damian Priest & Finn Balor. It was both an incredibly fun match and a great opportunity for commentary to promote the ever loving shit out of Bad Bunny appearing on Monday Night Raw next week. With apologies to Escobar, it was also an easy way to get Judgment Day a win without having to pin Mysterio. Oh, also, did you remember Bad Bunny will be on Raw? If you didn’t, Priest got on the mic and made sure to mention it before going to the back. After, they cut to the announce table and wouldn’t you know it, Michael Cole and Wade Barrett also made sure to immediately mention that, hey, guess, what, Bad Bunny is coming to Raw next week. Nobody is better at driving home a message than WWE.

-Zelina Vega made an impassioned plea to Adam Pearce to get a title shot against Rhea Ripley at Backlash. She’s the only Puerto Rican wrestler in the women’s division, and the LWO has been having issues with Judgment Day. She’s also an underdog who badly wants to prove herself. Why not? Pearce made like he needs to talk to upper management — not to mention the champ — but it was made official later in the show and this makes an awful lot of sense for a B-show title defense for Ripley.

-Shinsuke Nakamura got a nifty little video package that bled right into one from the man he will be feuding with next, Karrion Kross. The pre-tape was maybe a little cheesy but you can always see why Triple H likes Kross so much — he’s got a certain charisma to him where it seems obvious he has such potential if he’s given a good story to work with. I don’t know if that’s what this Nakamura thing will be, but I’m certainly hopeful. The story Kross started telling here is that you can’t know someone’s identity until something is taken from them. He took Drew McIntyre’s temperament, he took Madcap (who he called Riddick, for what it’s worth) Moss’ joy, he took Rey Mysterio’s patience, and now he plans to take Nakamura’s honor.
Hey, just real quick, did you guys know Bad Bunny is coming to Raw next Monday?

-The Viking Raiders launched a surprise attack on Braun Strowman & Ricochet and that resulted in a match between the two this week. I wasn’t expecting much while they were making their entrances and I’m not even sure why because they tore the house down. In the end, Ricochet pinned Ivar after an elevated Swanton Bomb from Strowman’s shoulders.

-I’m not entirely sure why I feel this way but Liv Morgan & Raquel Rodriguez, despite being the champions, still feel like a thrown together team to me. Meanwhile, Sonya Deville & Chelsea Green, who are also a thrown together team, feel like a legitimate duo. That’s probably just a testament to how good they both are. Despite this, they came up short in their quest to win the titles, in part because the babyfaces cheated. Cole claimed it was fine because the heels deserved it. I guess.

-GUNTHER successfully defended the Intercontinental championship in his match against Xavier Woods, who was outstanding as the babyface underdog giving it his all. They were up against it, considering no one on Earth really believed Woods was ever going to win this match, but they managed to pull off a couple of good near falls anyway. In the end, GUNTHER submitted Woods and it was simply yet another good TV match.

This show felt like Triple H through and through. Good matches and not much else. It feels a bit like treading water — kind of amazing, considering there were two title matches, but still — until the Draft next week, which looms large over every show now.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 2:58pm On Apr 23, 2023
pu7pl3:

This was an interesting episode of Friday Night SmackDown if only because, well, there was no real narrative flow to it. It was very much just a series of matches with a couple of backstage segments thrown in.
There was only one in-ring promo the entire evening — though you could argue there were two, if you count the few words The Complaint Department said before they challenged for the tag team titles. The Usos were the ones (I’m sorry) who got that time, vowing to defeat Kevin Owens & Sami Zayn to win their titles back next week.
That was also the lead-in to the main event, Matt Riddle taking on Solo Sikoa in a No Disqualification match that had maybe the most obvious ending in the history of television. It was a No DQ match, The Usos were in the building, but Owens and Zayn were not.
Gee, I wonder how that would play out.
Sure enough, Jimmy & Jey interfered, Riddle was pinned, and then The Bloodline put him through a table, standing tall to end the last episode for the blue brand before we head into the Draft.
The match was fine. It was all fine.
But that doesn’t mean Roman Reigns’ presence isn’t sorely missed. I quite like Sikoa and think he’s got a bright future as a singles star apart from The Bloodline but there’s only so much story they can tell without The Tribal Chief around.
I guess that’s why they just went back to beating Riddle again.

All the rest
-This show opened with the LWO and The Judgment Day continuing their issues in the form of a tag team match pitting Rey Mysterio & Santos Escobar against Damian Priest & Finn Balor. It was both an incredibly fun match and a great opportunity for commentary to promote the ever loving shit out of Bad Bunny appearing on Monday Night Raw next week. With apologies to Escobar, it was also an easy way to get Judgment Day a win without having to pin Mysterio. Oh, also, did you remember Bad Bunny will be on Raw? If you didn’t, Priest got on the mic and made sure to mention it before going to the back. After, they cut to the announce table and wouldn’t you know it, Michael Cole and Wade Barrett also made sure to immediately mention that, hey, guess, what, Bad Bunny is coming to Raw next week. Nobody is better at driving home a message than WWE.

-Zelina Vega made an impassioned plea to Adam Pearce to get a title shot against Rhea Ripley at Backlash. She’s the only Puerto Rican wrestler in the women’s division, and the LWO has been having issues with Judgment Day. She’s also an underdog who badly wants to prove herself. Why not? Pearce made like he needs to talk to upper management — not to mention the champ — but it was made official later in the show and this makes an awful lot of sense for a B-show title defense for Ripley.

-Shinsuke Nakamura got a nifty little video package that bled right into one from the man he will be feuding with next, Karrion Kross. The pre-tape was maybe a little cheesy but you can always see why Triple H likes Kross so much — he’s got a certain charisma to him where it seems obvious he has such potential if he’s given a good story to work with. I don’t know if that’s what this Nakamura thing will be, but I’m certainly hopeful. The story Kross started telling here is that you can’t know someone’s identity until something is taken from them. He took Drew McIntyre’s temperament, he took Madcap (who he called Riddick, for what it’s worth) Moss’ joy, he took Rey Mysterio’s patience, and now he plans to take Nakamura’s honor.
Hey, just real quick, did you guys know Bad Bunny is coming to Raw next Monday?

-The Viking Raiders launched a surprise attack on Braun Strowman & Ricochet and that resulted in a match between the two this week. I wasn’t expecting much while they were making their entrances and I’m not even sure why because they tore the house down. In the end, Ricochet pinned Ivar after an elevated Swanton Bomb from Strowman’s shoulders.

-I’m not entirely sure why I feel this way but Liv Morgan & Raquel Rodriguez, despite being the champions, still feel like a thrown together team to me. Meanwhile, Sonya Deville & Chelsea Green, who are also a thrown together team, feel like a legitimate duo. That’s probably just a testament to how good they both are. Despite this, they came up short in their quest to win the titles, in part because the babyfaces cheated. Cole claimed it was fine because the heels deserved it. I guess.

-GUNTHER successfully defended the Intercontinental championship in his match against Xavier Woods, who was outstanding as the babyface underdog giving it his all. They were up against it, considering no one on Earth really believed Woods was ever going to win this match, but they managed to pull off a couple of good near falls anyway. In the end, GUNTHER submitted Woods and it was simply yet another good TV match.

This show felt like Triple H through and through. Good matches and not much else. It feels a bit like treading water — kind of amazing, considering there were two title matches, but still — until the Draft next week, which looms large over every show now.

Did you see the announcement that Seth Rollins would face Omos at Backlash? How random is that?

Sometimes I think that Seth Rollins is too talented for his own good. They probably feel they can just slot him into any program and he'd make it work. I know he'll make it work against Omos. To Omos's credit, he has been getting better in the ring and moves pretty well for his height. I'm sure the match would be perfectly ok. However, I can't help but think that Seth Rollins's character has no real direction.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:06pm On Apr 23, 2023
CoolUsername:

Did you see the announcement that Seth Rollins would face Omos at Backlash? How random is that?

Sometimes I think that Seth Rollins is too talented for his own good. They probably feel they can just slot him into any program and he'd make it work. I know he'll make it work against Omos. To Omos's credit, he has been getting better in the ring and moves pretty well for his height. I'm sure the match would be perfectly ok. However, I can't help but think that Seth Rollins's character has no real direction.

He is over with the fans but he is in Limbo...they don't want to put him in any title picture cos all the holders are red hot too.
The match will deliver sha.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 6:00pm On Apr 25, 2023

The World is Yours
I’m only putting this up here because it’s important: WWE crowns a new WWE World Heavyweight champion at Night of Champions. If you have a thing for championship belts, then feast your eyes on this thing as soon as humanly possible. It’s gorgeous and looks like the current belt had a baby with WCW’s big gold belt. It looks classy; less like a toy and more like a championship belt.
As an aside though, in another universe, I might convince myself Triple H cut a promo on Roman Reigns. He noted that Roman negotiated a great deal that sees him defend the title less, which is exactly what Trips might do if given the chance. He gave Roman all the props in the world for his acumen in the ring and outside of it. But after unveiling the belt, he told the crowd that this new champion won’t have to ask for their acknowledgement because he’ll earn it Night of Champions. He also talked about the audience feeling pride for this new champion.
I’m not expecting these two in a match any time soon, but those things stuck out to me.
Anyway, the new belt rocks the world. My hope now is they remodel the other belts as well. Everything works better when the belts all fit in the same world. One belt having a wildly different aesthetic than the others just irks me.
And maybe that’s just me but I’m also the one writing this recap. Just my thoughts, right or wrong.

B-Sides
I Shot Ya
Okay, did Roman piss someone off? Seriously. First came everything I wrote above this section and then came Seth Rollins. Seth addressed Chicago and quickly turned his attention towards the new championship belt sitting ringside. Seth noted all the nice things Haitch said about Roman while underlining the fact the name missing from the long list of Roman’s conquests: his.
Okay, cool, no problem. But then it felt personal when Seth said this new belt is for people who have a different vision than Roman. “Some of us still want to fight!” said Seth. This belt, according to Seth, is about more than “politics and part-timers.”
Sure, Omos showed up and Seth gassed Omos’ height, skill, and talked about his plans for Omos at Backlash, but all that talk about the new championship and subliminal shots in the Tribal Chief’s direction stayed on my mind. They’re still on my mind.
I’m not bugging, am I? Someone tell me if I’m bugging.

Mess You Made
It goes without saying that most of us know the Frankenstein story by this point. Maybe not verbatim but we know the general idea. WWE potentially has their own version of that on their hands now with Bad Bunny formally challenging WWE to a street fight in Puerto Rico.
Bunny showed up after Damian got himself disqualified during his match with Rey Mysterio. I like this new mode for Damian where winning the matches don’t matter so much as humiliating his opponents. Like he said earlier in the show, he’s a bad guy. Damian plays his heel role better than most right now and Rey plays the perfect opponent for that.
I didn’t expect a one-on-one match between Bunny and Priest but I like it. This was always the smart move, right? Damian brought Bunny into this world. They teamed up for their first match and within storytelling, Damian taught Bunny everything he knows.
Fittingly, Bunny turns that knowledge against his former teacher at Backlash in a full-circle moment. Plus, Bunny defends Rey’s honor, and the street fight stipulation means plenty of outside shenanigans from the Judgment Day and Papa Mysterio.
While there might be better matches on paper at Backlash, this one might very well steal the show. Bunny looked great attacking Damian with a kendo stick and Damian sold everything like a seasoned vet, hold the adobo.
Right now, Damian’s angle is he doesn’t tell Bad Bunny how to perform so Bunny is out of line getting involved in wrestling. That’s fine but I hope they play the Frankenstein angle next week and on social media.

One Day
The LWO is over. And it’s not just a Chicago thing, although the Chi-Town crowd showed them so much love.
The more Santos Escobar we see on television the better. I wish the LWO got more Ws but I’m happy the LWO angle puts Santos in front of these crowds on big stages. He killed it tonight but not just him; Cruz Del Toro & Joaquin Wilde impressed as well. Again, there’s a reason the crowds love these three.
Of course they took an L to the Bloodline because the Usos have a tag team championship match on the horizon and Solo Sikoa is, well, Solo Sikoa. Their victory makes complete sense in that light but I hope WWE utilizes Santos, Cruz, & Joaquin better going forward. And by going forward I mean the very near future.

Ms. Jackson
I loved this segment between Sami Zayn & Jey Uso. Jey, reveling in his team’s victory, bumped into Sami and the whole mood changed. Sami asked the one thing we all asked after Jey & Jimmy dedicated their upcoming championship match to Roman Reigns: What happens to you if you lose? Not only that, but, to Sami’s point, dedicating the match to Roman means they’re not even fighting for themselves.
These two are really like two people after a breakup. Sami still cares for Jey and Jey feels the same, even if his lips don’t say it. Jey even asked Sami why he cares what happens to Jey. Sami only mustered that “feels bad” but the truth is he cares about that mans’ wellbeing. But, as Jey said, they both made their choices.
Jimmy called it mind games and Sami just getting in Jey’s head, but Jey asked his brother that same question: What if they don’t win?
Jey sees what’s up. He knows how this story ends for them. The fact that Jimmy of all people turns a blind eye to the facts speaks volumes about his delusional dedication. Turnabout being what it is, Jimmy played his own mind games with Sami. The way Jimmy tells it, Kevin Owens turns on Sami the second they lose those championships because of everything Sami did to him as the Honorary Uce. And Sami realized that whether he likes it or not, Jimmy has a point.
Sami and Jey, just kiss and make up already!

I’m Back
Finn Balor and Cody Rhodes should wrestle each other more often. Cody returned to the scene of perhaps the defining moment in his WWE return, and aimed his words directly at Brock Lesnar. He called Brock a coward for hitting him int he back rather than living up to Brock’s reputation as the “most decorated combat athlete in history,” which is another WWE turn of phrase that annoys me. But I digress.
The best moment came when Cody showed his battle scar from that fateful night when he wrestled with a torn pec. The crowd ate it up and everyone enjoyed themselves until Finn Balor showed up.
Finn made a good point about Cody getting screwed at WrestleMania and that he needed a crew. I expected an Elite/Bullet Club reference but alas, Finn let me down. Either that or I missed it, so someone let me know.
Cody turned down Finn’s Judgment Day invitation because he’s the good guy and Finn took several buckets of umbrage with that rejection.
I liked their match a whole lot. I do wish we got some chicanery just to protect Finn, especially after Finn defeated Rey Mysterio earlier this August. Cody loses nothing with a DQ win but I also don’t know how Finn factors into their future plans. BUT, with a new championship, and commentary hinting at Finn competing for said championship, then yeah, keep his shoulders off the mat.

Remember the Times
Remember when it looked like a holy entity might bless us with the Hurt Business reunion? Yeah, good times. Instead of that we get Shelton Benjamin & Cedric Alexander getting easily beaten by the Street Profits. The hook for the match was the idea that the WWE Draft might change these teams irrevocably. Cool, cool. But I just preferred seeing all four men doing anything meaningful at this point. A throwaway match on the last Monday in April isn’t that.

Whutcha Want?
More Damage CTRL dissension this week. This time, it came when the group interrupted Bianca Belair’s backstage interview and IYO SKY basically said she’s not waiting for Backlash. Bayley translated that into a six-woman tag team match that neither IYO or Dakota Kai seemed thrilled about. Bianca partnered with Raquel Rodriguez & Liv Morgan, proving Bailey forgets all the people not giving Damage CTRL Christmas cards this year.
No huge miscommunication moments during the match for Damage CTRL, but Bianca pinned Bayley. Maybe Dakota & IYO turn on Bayley instead of the other way around. They both clearly have issues with her “leadership” and they left this match as a duo, not a trio.

Bad Meets Evil
Austin Theory had himself a night on the microphone. He held his own against the Chicago crowd, got a nice shot in at Bobby Lashley, and telegraphed he has the new World Heavyweight championship in his sights. Once Bobby got physical with the champ, Bronson Reed hit the scene and the heels did the double team thing.
This is wrestling so obviously that alliance was short-lived. Bronson stood tall after a Tsunami, and the belt looks good in his hands. Austin wants a new belt, Lashley probably contends for that same belt, so giving Bronson the rub at Backlash makes a lot of sense.

Chi-City
I’m still not down with Mustafa Ali’s new gimmick. I get it completely but I don’t like it. That said, it felt good seeing him get the W against Chad Gable in his hometown. The big story here concerned Maxxine Dupri and Chad fighting over who gets Otìsè after the Draft. Maxxine even accompanied Chad to the ring—along with Otìsè—just to prove her point that Chad’s type lame.
Chad losing just ups the drama, so I’m with it.

I really enjoyed this week’s Raw. Consistent across the board and satisfying minus the tag match that apparently served as WWE Draft drama fodder.
We also got a Trish Stratus showing where he continued her great heel work. And she’s carrying this thing without Becky Lynch at the moment so more power to her.
But the headline is the championship and the ‘90s hip hop-level subliminals thrown at Roman Reigns. Whew, Lord have mercy. Even while writing this, I wonder why. But drama aside, that belt is gorgeous and I can’t wait for a new champion.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by CoolUsername: 7:42pm On Apr 25, 2023
May 27th, Acknowledge him!☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by pu7pl3(m): 8:29pm On Apr 25, 2023
CoolUsername:
May 27th, Acknowledge him!☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️

Stop it 😂😂😭😭
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 10:05pm On Apr 25, 2023
pu7pl3:

The World is Yours
I’m only putting this up here because it’s important: WWE crowns a new WWE World Heavyweight champion at Night of Champions. If you have a thing for championship belts, then feast your eyes on this thing as soon as humanly possible. It’s gorgeous and looks like the current belt had a baby with WCW’s big gold belt. It looks classy; less like a toy and more like a championship belt.
As an aside though, in another universe, I might convince myself Triple H cut a promo on Roman Reigns. He noted that Roman negotiated a great deal that sees him defend the title less, which is exactly what Trips might do if given the chance. He gave Roman all the props in the world for his acumen in the ring and outside of it. But after unveiling the belt, he told the crowd that this new champion won’t have to ask for their acknowledgement because he’ll earn it Night of Champions. He also talked about the audience feeling pride for this new champion.
I’m not expecting these two in a match any time soon, but those things stuck out to me.
Anyway, the new belt rocks the world. My hope now is they remodel the other belts as well. Everything works better when the belts all fit in the same world. One belt having a wildly different aesthetic than the others just irks me.
And maybe that’s just me but I’m also the one writing this recap. Just my thoughts, right or wrong.

B-Sides
I Shot Ya
Okay, did Roman piss someone off? Seriously. First came everything I wrote above this section and then came Seth Rollins. Seth addressed Chicago and quickly turned his attention towards the new championship belt sitting ringside. Seth noted all the nice things Haitch said about Roman while underlining the fact the name missing from the long list of Roman’s conquests: his.
Okay, cool, no problem. But then it felt personal when Seth said this new belt is for people who have a different vision than Roman. “Some of us still want to fight!” said Seth. This belt, according to Seth, is about more than “politics and part-timers.”
Sure, Omos showed up and Seth gassed Omos’ height, skill, and talked about his plans for Omos at Backlash, but all that talk about the new championship and subliminal shots in the Tribal Chief’s direction stayed on my mind. They’re still on my mind.
I’m not bugging, am I? Someone tell me if I’m bugging.

Mess You Made
It goes without saying that most of us know the Frankenstein story by this point. Maybe not verbatim but we know the general idea. WWE potentially has their own version of that on their hands now with Bad Bunny formally challenging WWE to a street fight in Puerto Rico.
Bunny showed up after Damian got himself disqualified during his match with Rey Mysterio. I like this new mode for Damian where winning the matches don’t matter so much as humiliating his opponents. Like he said earlier in the show, he’s a bad guy. Damian plays his heel role better than most right now and Rey plays the perfect opponent for that.
I didn’t expect a one-on-one match between Bunny and Priest but I like it. This was always the smart move, right? Damian brought Bunny into this world. They teamed up for their first match and within storytelling, Damian taught Bunny everything he knows.
Fittingly, Bunny turns that knowledge against his former teacher at Backlash in a full-circle moment. Plus, Bunny defends Rey’s honor, and the street fight stipulation means plenty of outside shenanigans from the Judgment Day and Papa Mysterio.
While there might be better matches on paper at Backlash, this one might very well steal the show. Bunny looked great attacking Damian with a kendo stick and Damian sold everything like a seasoned vet, hold the adobo.
Right now, Damian’s angle is he doesn’t tell Bad Bunny how to perform so Bunny is out of line getting involved in wrestling. That’s fine but I hope they play the Frankenstein angle next week and on social media.

One Day
The LWO is over. And it’s not just a Chicago thing, although the Chi-Town crowd showed them so much love.
The more Santos Escobar we see on television the better. I wish the LWO got more Ws but I’m happy the LWO angle puts Santos in front of these crowds on big stages. He killed it tonight but not just him; Cruz Del Toro & Joaquin Wilde impressed as well. Again, there’s a reason the crowds love these three.
Of course they took an L to the Bloodline because the Usos have a tag team championship match on the horizon and Solo Sikoa is, well, Solo Sikoa. Their victory makes complete sense in that light but I hope WWE utilizes Santos, Cruz, & Joaquin better going forward. And by going forward I mean the very near future.

Ms. Jackson
I loved this segment between Sami Zayn & Jey Uso. Jey, reveling in his team’s victory, bumped into Sami and the whole mood changed. Sami asked the one thing we all asked after Jey & Jimmy dedicated their upcoming championship match to Roman Reigns: What happens to you if you lose? Not only that, but, to Sami’s point, dedicating the match to Roman means they’re not even fighting for themselves.
These two are really like two people after a breakup. Sami still cares for Jey and Jey feels the same, even if his lips don’t say it. Jey even asked Sami why he cares what happens to Jey. Sami only mustered that “feels bad” but the truth is he cares about that mans’ wellbeing. But, as Jey said, they both made their choices.
Jimmy called it mind games and Sami just getting in Jey’s head, but Jey asked his brother that same question: What if they don’t win?
Jey sees what’s up. He knows how this story ends for them. The fact that Jimmy of all people turns a blind eye to the facts speaks volumes about his delusional dedication. Turnabout being what it is, Jimmy played his own mind games with Sami. The way Jimmy tells it, Kevin Owens turns on Sami the second they lose those championships because of everything Sami did to him as the Honorary Uce. And Sami realized that whether he likes it or not, Jimmy has a point.
Sami and Jey, just kiss and make up already!

I’m Back
Finn Balor and Cody Rhodes should wrestle each other more often. Cody returned to the scene of perhaps the defining moment in his WWE return, and aimed his words directly at Brock Lesnar. He called Brock a coward for hitting him int he back rather than living up to Brock’s reputation as the “most decorated combat athlete in history,” which is another WWE turn of phrase that annoys me. But I digress.
The best moment came when Cody showed his battle scar from that fateful night when he wrestled with a torn pec. The crowd ate it up and everyone enjoyed themselves until Finn Balor showed up.
Finn made a good point about Cody getting screwed at WrestleMania and that he needed a crew. I expected an Elite/Bullet Club reference but alas, Finn let me down. Either that or I missed it, so someone let me know.
Cody turned down Finn’s Judgment Day invitation because he’s the good guy and Finn took several buckets of umbrage with that rejection.
I liked their match a whole lot. I do wish we got some chicanery just to protect Finn, especially after Finn defeated Rey Mysterio earlier this August. Cody loses nothing with a DQ win but I also don’t know how Finn factors into their future plans. BUT, with a new championship, and commentary hinting at Finn competing for said championship, then yeah, keep his shoulders off the mat.

Remember the Times
Remember when it looked like a holy entity might bless us with the Hurt Business reunion? Yeah, good times. Instead of that we get Shelton Benjamin & Cedric Alexander getting easily beaten by the Street Profits. The hook for the match was the idea that the WWE Draft might change these teams irrevocably. Cool, cool. But I just preferred seeing all four men doing anything meaningful at this point. A throwaway match on the last Monday in April isn’t that.

Whutcha Want?
More Damage CTRL dissension this week. This time, it came when the group interrupted Bianca Belair’s backstage interview and IYO SKY basically said she’s not waiting for Backlash. Bayley translated that into a six-woman tag team match that neither IYO or Dakota Kai seemed thrilled about. Bianca partnered with Raquel Rodriguez & Liv Morgan, proving Bailey forgets all the people not giving Damage CTRL Christmas cards this year.
No huge miscommunication moments during the match for Damage CTRL, but Bianca pinned Bayley. Maybe Dakota & IYO turn on Bayley instead of the other way around. They both clearly have issues with her “leadership” and they left this match as a duo, not a trio.

Bad Meets Evil
Austin Theory had himself a night on the microphone. He held his own against the Chicago crowd, got a nice shot in at Bobby Lashley, and telegraphed he has the new World Heavyweight championship in his sights. Once Bobby got physical with the champ, Bronson Reed hit the scene and the heels did the double team thing.
This is wrestling so obviously that alliance was short-lived. Bronson stood tall after a Tsunami, and the belt looks good in his hands. Austin wants a new belt, Lashley probably contends for that same belt, so giving Bronson the rub at Backlash makes a lot of sense.

Chi-City
I’m still not down with Mustafa Ali’s new gimmick. I get it completely but I don’t like it. That said, it felt good seeing him get the W against Chad Gable in his hometown. The big story here concerned Maxxine Dupri and Chad fighting over who gets Otìsè after the Draft. Maxxine even accompanied Chad to the ring—along with Otìsè—just to prove her point that Chad’s type lame.
Chad losing just ups the drama, so I’m with it.

I really enjoyed this week’s Raw. Consistent across the board and satisfying minus the tag match that apparently served as WWE Draft drama fodder.
We also got a Trish Stratus showing where he continued her great heel work. And she’s carrying this thing without Becky Lynch at the moment so more power to her.
But the headline is the championship and the ‘90s hip hop-level subliminals thrown at Roman Reigns. Whew, Lord have mercy. Even while writing this, I wonder why. But drama aside, that belt is gorgeous and I can’t wait for a new champion.
what I want to know is did Trips acknowledge the Big Gold Belt in some fashion?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by PurpLChi: 10:17pm On Apr 26, 2023
ValeeLove:
what I want to know is did Trips acknowledge the Big Gold Belt in some fashion?

Acknowledge it how?
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by PurpLChi: 8:27am On Apr 27, 2023
WWE NXT SPRING BREAKN REVIEWS RECAPS AND REACTIONS

Safe 2 Say (Incredible)
I had a whole thing ready for this match. I wrote about Indi Hartwell’s journey to this point and what a loss means for her career. I jotted notes on the fluidity and how I don’t think these three meshed completely. I even pre-wrote a passage about Roxanne Perez retaking her throne and NXT giving Indi that win at Stand & Deliver purely for the moment with no real investment.
But then, fittingly, Indi proved me wrong.
Not only did she win the match, but how she won was, well, impressive.
Early in the match, Tiffany Stratton hit a moonsault on Roxanne and Indi as they stood outside the ring. Only Indi wasn’t quite set yet and she clearly landed wrong. Her leg and ankle bent a direction legs and ankles don’t bend. The leg seemed fine but the ankle looked bad. Tiffany & Roxanne kept it going while officials helped Indi then eventually took her backstage.
My heart sunk because that’s a terrible ending for anyone’s title defense, let alone the first one.
But during the third act, and after a top rope Hurricanrana where Roxanne almost broke her own neck, Indi limped back to the ring and broke up a three-count! She got her Willis Reed moment.
Indi wrestled with one leg and eventually pinned Roxanne after dispensing Tiffany.
The best moments in wrestling often stem from real life setbacks or accidents. Becky Lynch’s bloody nose comes to mind. While this might not put Indi on that playing field, it’s still huge for her career.
I’m guessing they always planned on her walking out with the championship, but the ankle injury briefly changed things. I like to think Indi said “nah” and refused to let that happen.
The ending alone makes this match one for the books and it’s one Indi won’t soon forget.

My 1st Song
Look, I expected dopeness from Carmelo Hayes and Grayson Waller. They actually outperformed my expectations. That said, my interest lied more in watching Melo work as a face champion. It’s a different gear for him and necessary for his development. Can he look compelling when in jeopardy while still maintaining what makes him work?
Yes, yes he can. They accomplished this with Grayson working Melo’s left knee and weakening him. Melo limped, winced, and struggled with his offense at times because of that left knee. That fact also made his eventual victory that much sweeter because he fought through pain.
AND, we even got a nice character moment when Melo showed compassion for Trick Williams after Grayson his Trick with a chair. In that moment, the match and the championship meant less than his best friend’s safety. Grayson took advantage of that, of course, but it adds layers to a guy making this transition from arrogant, cocky heel to arrogant, cocky face.
And thankfully, it wasn’t corny.
Eventually the match boiled down to both men wrestling on one leg. Grayson went for his stunner but wrenched his bad knee on the bottom rope. Melo fought through the pain and hit Nuthin But Net after failing the first time because of that knee.
Oh but Melo’s night only just started.
I wondered why the NXT Championship match went on earlier in the night, and Bron Breakker provided my answer:
I wanted a vulnerable Melo. Well, we got that tonight in spades.
The officials hit the ring, the stretcher came out, and they wheeled Melo away as the crowd watched in a hush.
In one night, NXT accomplished three things: Established Grayson Waller as someone ready for the next level, illustrated how Carmelo Hayes works as a face, and made Bron Breakker an even bigger villain. Which is quite the thing seeing as how he already tormented Chase U.

B-Sides
Slam
The Family vs. Pretty Deadly in the first ever Trunk Match was exactly what you expected. I don’t even know how to describe it other than everything you wanted if you love chaos.
A few notes though:
Vic Joseph with the Outback Steakhouse reference made me chuckle way too hard. Did you catch it?
They used Tony D’Angelo’s uncle’s car. His uncle’s name? Henry Hill.
Loved the clever ending. Pretty Deadly took control and put Stacks in the trunk. It looked like the end for The Family in a match they created! But in a nice storytelling moment, Stacks surprised Pretty Deadly with a fire extinguisher hidden in the trunk. Remember, Tony D supplied the car.
That’s great character stuff and attention to detail. After the fire extinguisher and a crowbar, Tony D and Stacks stuffed both Pretty Deadly members in the trunk and rolled away with the victory.
Eventually, NXT wrote off Pretty Deadly in the most appropriate way: Stacks and Tony D committed homicide.
They drowned Pretty Deadly in the deepest waters. That’s right, another crime committed in NXT and Pretty Deadly now sleeps with Luca Brasi.
See you on the main roster, boys!

What’s Next?
Gotta say, I expected Bron Breakker vs. Andre Chase to go longer. It seemingly lasted all of five minutes. Andre got a couple offensive moves in but they bounced off Bron like bullets bounce off Superman’s chest.
Bron set his sights on Duke Hudson afterward, seemingly daring the former all-star poker player to jump in the ring. As expected, Bron ditched the bright colors and donned all black. Apparently he’s now “meaner than evil.” So, Satanic?
We all know that didn’t happen. I gotta count this one as a miss though simply because of the length. But props to Booker T for always delivering the “no bread, no water, just meeeeeat!” line with the necessary energy.

Party and Bullsh*t
Cora Jade and Lyra Valkyria gave us our first pure wrestling match of the night. And they told a story of a heel always one step ahead of the face. Valkyria works well with Cora since she’s a pure babyface and Cora clearly isn’t. That contrast made for a compelling match and a smart finish.
Cora went for her bat, knew the ref would interfere, and basically roped Lyra into a chop block at the knees followed by a DDT and the W.
Cora didn’t beat Lyra because she’s better but because, for at least one night, she was smarter. Lyra went in looking for an honorable fight against a woman who can’t spell “honorable” much less define it.

Love
Harsh barley, Brooks.
And so we come to the end of Brooks Jensen & Kiana James.
I enjoyed this inter-gender tag match even if Kiana James’ motivations confused me. No, not her motivations for breaking with Brooks, but her aim for the match itself. Twice she urged Brooks to openly break the rules in front of the referee. First, she tagged him in and told him to hit Fallon Henley. Then she tossed him her bag and wanted him to use it against Josh Briggs. He tried but missed and accidentally knocked Kiana off the ring apron.
At that point, Josh hit his former tag partner with a vicious lariat and got the W.
Then came the moment we all expected: Kina told Brooks she never loved him. In fact, she even tried hitting him! Luckily for Brooks, Josh lent his shoulder and the big man cried into his best friend’s arm. Very sweet.
I’m not satisfied with this ending though. I really dug the match but they let this thing linger for so long and never found another gear for the story. Maybe we get an explanation from Kiana that leads into another match between Kiana and Fallon, but as of now, the story lacks the closure I want.

Bring da Ruckus
Oba Femi dominated Oro Mensah at Spring Breakin’. The man looked great, has a ton of power, knows how to use his body in the ring with a moveset that showcases him appropriately.
I mean, yeah, it was domination, baby.

Elevation
Drew Gulak & Charlie Dempsey don’t believe Wes Lee has the energy anymore. They see him burning himself out. Tyler Bate agrees and offered his assistance. Wes defends his title against Drew the next time NXT comes in your world with Tyler in his corner.
I do hope they record Tyler’s mediation session because I think he and Wes have very different ideas of what centers someone before a match.

Get at Me Dog
Dijak accosted Ilja Dragunov. I mean, he beat that man down. As soon as. Ilja walked into the Performance Center, Dijak put boots and fists to him, then dropped a steel gate on his chest.
Good on them for establishing Dijak as a legitimate threat and someone clearly unhinged.

Spring Breakin’ did a lot of good. Not all of it mind you, but I enjoyed most of this year’s edition. Props again to Indi Hartwell for fighting through what seemed like an excruciating amount of pain. When I think of this event, that’s what I’ll remember and I’m sure I’m not the only one.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by ValeeLove(m): 10:27am On Apr 27, 2023
PurpLChi:

Acknowledge it how?
did he mention it or reference it since this belt is an obvious copy of that.
Re: Purpl3's WWE (and Pro-wrestling in general) Discussion And Banter House by PurpLChi: 10:37am On Apr 27, 2023
ValeeLove:
did he mention it or reference it since this belt is an obvious copy of that.

it's a new heavyweight world title so he mainy just talked about what the title represents.

(1) (2) (3) ... (278) (279) (280) (281) (282) (283) (284) ... (298) (Reply)

Cuando Seas Mia: 'When You Are Mine' / ARROW and THE FLASH fan page....... / Top 15 Nollywood Stars Who Have Passed Away In Recent Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 211
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.