Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,224 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! (40205 Views)

Meet 22-Year-Old Lexie Alford Who Has Travelled To Every Country In The World / How Did You Feel The First Day You Travelled Abroad? / "See What Somebody Did To Me" - Nigerian Man Who Travelled To Europe. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by NERDYDREAMS(m): 10:21pm On Mar 07, 2018
Ohhhh God!

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by TechAddiction: 10:24pm On Mar 07, 2018
Seslie:
My most recent (budget) trip took me overland to another West African country. This time, I visited Togo. After trying couchsurfing for the first time in Benin Republic, I decided I would give it another shot during this trip. (If you aren't familiar with Couchsurfing, it's a site that let's people host traveller's for free. Before you run away, there are many ways to stay safe while you surf. I shared some on my blog, so feel free to check it out)

Rather than create a public trip as I did before (when I was a JJC), I pretty much crafted a message to my would-be host in Lome. She got back to me quickly, I confirmed my travel dates a day before the trip, packed up a small bag, kicked aside my nervous feelings and prepared for an interesting journey into Lome.

Day One: Lagos to Lome

[img]https://4.bp..com/-aC2YCtYC0GI/WH1K2gS3QHI/AAAAAAAAYlI/BbmTJEgZqngxGsV-Nggd-ktjOJCDRHpIgCPcB/s1600/lome.jpg[/img]

I set out early using public transportation to Seme border. I took a bus from my home to Mile2 and then another into Badagry and later to Seme border. The entire trip cost me N800. Border crossing was a breeze this time. To my surprise, I was asked for nothing on the Nigerian side and they wasted no time in stamping my passport.

When I got to immigration on the Benin side, the lady stamped my passport immediately and then asked for N500. I was in the process of negotiating my way through this when someone walked in to get his passport stamped. I struck off a conversation with him (Chuka* – not his real name) and found out that he was driving to Ghana in a bus with a few empty seats.

He offered to drop me off in Lome – for free! (This would normally cost an equivalent of N5,000 – N7,000, travelling in a shared public taxi from Seme town or N15,000, travelling in a standard bus from Lagos). I eventually got out of immigration without making any payment, checked out the bus and was comfortable to go with it.

We arrived in Cotonou quite early but had to wait for a few hours to fix an issue with the bus. We eventually arrived in Lome at about 7pm and I tried without success to get to my host. I probably wasn’t pronouncing her address right, so all the bike guys I asked said they didn’t know where it was. Eventually, I resigned to staying in a guest house recommended by Chuka and that cost an equivalent of N4,000/night.

I later got a sim card (N1,562) to update my host about the situation. She couldn’t locate me either, so we agreed to meet the next day. That evening, the owner of the guest house assigned her brother to take me out to dinner and show me around the day after.

We had acheke and fish which cost the equivalent of N3,500 then returned to the guest house afterwards to call it a night.

[img]https://3.bp..com/-BQP5fTmi0Zs/WH5uIr8q2-I/AAAAAAAAYwI/vCkjP5NGKHEMFkAoHLJLtCVlvUu3yEzIACLcB/s1600/acheke.jpg[/img]

Day Two: Lome and an Impromptu Return to Cotonou

The next day, I woke up late and found out that I couldn’t meet my host anymore or get to Kpalime – a place I really wanted to visit – because it was quite far from Lome. I decided to just walk around the city instead. After breakfast, I set out on my own and visited a few sites around.

First, I went to the Independence square, the market and the beach to have lunch.

I walked around some more and eventually headed back to the guest house. To my surprise, Chuka was there, heading back to Lagos. I had originally intended to leave Lome early the next morning but my plans changed with the presentation of a free bus ride out of the city.

I quickly texted my host (from my first trip to Cotonou) and asked if he could host me for the night. Luckily, he was available, so I packed my bags and jumped on the bus. We arrived in Cotonou by 10pm and I got yet another free bike ride to Fidjrosse where he picked me up from.

Day Three: Ganvie, Cotonou & Lagos

The next morning, we visited Ganvie, a lake village in Benin located about 30 minutes away from Cotonou, took a boat tour around the village – that was pretty cool and then returned to Cotonou to have lunch.

After that, my host dropped me off at the park in Tokpa where I got a bus to Seme border. (Cost: N400). Border crossing went smoothly and I was back home 3 hours and 1,400 naira later.
————————————————————————————————————————–
This trip eventually cost me less than N15,000 (Thanks to Chuka and my couchsurfing host) but I budgeted higher.

http://www.travelwithapen.com/2017/01/15/journey-3-countries-n15k-budget/

Bn thinking about u(op) ever since I saw ur post... U look romantic and reserved.. cheesy

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by Proffeluczy1(m): 10:47pm On Mar 07, 2018
Papiikush:
15k?

For cotonu down here?

That was quite extravagant. 5k would have done this. undecided

*Next time you want to travel, prepare your host on real time updates (this would have saved the extra 4k for a hotel)

*From seme to Lome wouldn't cost you more than 1,500 naira. (well, you took free bus but let's assume you weren't lucky)

*Your Nigerian Sim cards work perfectly the only thing you should have done is get enough airtime. (No need to waste another 1,562 on Sim card)

*Wasting money on food (3,500)when you can get local and Nigerian dishes around. This wouldn't even cost 500 naira.

Next time you wanna travel, be smart. Keep spending like this and you'll go broke in a week. (stranded in another country). Well you are a lady, people will pity you and take care of you.

Kia... Too much sense will not kill me

You be original naija pesin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by Nobody: 10:48pm On Mar 07, 2018
maclatunji:
A new travel blogger, but as she is a lady, I am not sure it is worth the risk.

Not exactly safe for men either so what the point, dear sir?

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by Proffeluczy1(m): 10:56pm On Mar 07, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Good adventure,
All I would love to know is,
What went down with your male host when he allowed you sleep in.

Tell us more,
Tell us about the adventure in your male host's other room!!
Because my people say,
Cat and fish can not stay together without an incidence.

And in the hood,
They say when a lady offers to pass the night in your house, she is in need of a good servicing.

Or did you leave Lagos to Lome just to eat fish?

guy u bad gan....
Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by Proffeluczy1(m): 10:56pm On Mar 07, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Good adventure,
All I would love to know is,
What went down with your male host when he allowed you sleep in.

Tell us more,
Tell us about the adventure in your male host's other room!!
Because my people say,
Cat and fish can not stay together without an incidence.

And in the hood,
They say when a lady offers to pass the night in your house, she is in need of a good servicing.

Or did you leave Lagos to Lome just to eat fish?

guy u bad gaaaaan.....
Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by YoungDaNaval(m): 10:58pm On Mar 07, 2018
livebynite:

Trust me not everyone looks as you do in that picture they way you smile..

The way you smile says a thousand things. Like maybe you needed to be at that place at that moment.

When I look at that picture I don't just see a beautiful woman smiling I see someone who had to find herself in that moment. Someone real someone felt

There's a story behind that smile and I want to hear it
Mumu

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by YoungDaNaval(m): 11:00pm On Mar 07, 2018
agarawu23:
I still don't get the msg the op is passing by uploading her picture, u dey find husband? lipsrsealed

15k to Lome, u are a joker If not for the awoof.
Lmao!!
Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by YoungDaNaval(m): 11:03pm On Mar 07, 2018
TechAddiction:

Bn thinking about u(op) ever since I saw ur post... U look romantic and reserved.. cheesy
mumu

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by Olayinka777(m): 11:05pm On Mar 07, 2018
Gangster1ms:
Cotonu and lome cheap die.. carry naira enter there e go be like say u carry pounds and euros.. too much money. don't know if it's still like that now cry
Not anymore!

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by Titugirl(f): 11:40pm On Mar 07, 2018
Nice one @ op..I love adventures and traveling a lot

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by AnthonyAk(m): 12:34am On Mar 08, 2018
Seslie:
My most recent (budget) trip took me overland to another West African country. This time, I visited Togo. After trying couchsurfing for the first time in Benin Republic, I decided I would give it another shot during this trip. (If you aren't familiar with Couchsurfing, it's a site that let's people host traveller's for free. Before you run away, there are many ways to stay safe while you surf. I shared some on my blog, so feel free to check it out)

Rather than create a public trip as I did before (when I was a JJC), I pretty much crafted a message to my would-be host in Lome. She got back to me quickly, I confirmed my travel dates a day before the trip, packed up a small bag, kicked aside my nervous feelings and prepared for an interesting journey into Lome.

[img]https://4.bp..com/-aC2YCtYC0GI/WH1K2gS3QHI/AAAAAAAAYlI/BbmTJEgZqngxGsV-Nggd-ktjOJCDRHpIgCPcB/s1600/lome.jpg[/img]

I set out early using public transportation to Seme border. I took a bus from my home to Mile2 and then another into Badagry and later to Seme border. The entire trip cost me N800. Border crossing was a breeze this time. To my surprise, I was asked for nothing on the Nigerian side and they wasted no time in stamping my passport.

When I got to immigration on the Benin side, the lady stamped my passport immediately and then asked for N500. I was in the process of negotiating my way through this when someone walked in to get his passport stamped. I struck off a conversation with him (Chuka* – not his real name) and found out that he was driving to Ghana in a bus with a few empty seats.

He offered to drop me off in Lome – for free! (This would normally cost an equivalent of N5,000 – N7,000, travelling in a shared public taxi from Seme town or N15,000, travelling in a standard bus from Lagos). I eventually got out of immigration without making any payment, checked out the bus and was comfortable to go with it.

We arrived in Cotonou quite early but had to wait for a few hours to fix an issue with the bus. We eventually arrived in Lome at about 7pm and I tried without success to get to my host. I probably wasn’t pronouncing her address right, so all the bike guys I asked said they didn’t know where it was. Eventually, I resigned to staying in a guest house recommended by Chuka and that cost an equivalent of N4,000/night.

I later got a sim card (N1,562) to update my host about the situation. She couldn’t locate me either, so we agreed to meet the next day. That evening, the owner of the guest house assigned her brother to take me out to dinner and show me around the day after.

We had acheke and fish which cost the equivalent of N3,500 then returned to the guest house afterwards to call it a night.

[img]https://3.bp..com/-BQP5fTmi0Zs/WH5uIr8q2-I/AAAAAAAAYwI/vCkjP5NGKHEMFkAoHLJLtCVlvUu3yEzIACLcB/s1600/acheke.jpg[/img]

The next day, I woke up late and found out that I couldn’t meet my host anymore or get to Kpalime – a place I really wanted to visit – because it was quite far from Lome. I decided to just walk around the city instead. After breakfast, I set out on my own and visited a few sites around.

First, I went to the Independence square, the market and the beach to have lunch.

I walked around some more and eventually headed back to the guest house. To my surprise, Chuka was there, heading back to Lagos. I had originally intended to leave Lome early the next morning but my plans changed with the presentation of a free bus ride out of the city.

I quickly texted my host (from my first trip to Cotonou) and asked if he could host me for the night. Luckily, he was available, so I packed my bags and jumped on the bus. We arrived in Cotonou by 10pm and I got yet another free bike ride to Fidjrosse where he picked me up from.

The next morning, we visited Ganvie, a lake village in Benin located about 30 minutes away from Cotonou, took a boat tour around the village – that was pretty cool and then returned to Cotonou to have lunch.

After that, my host dropped me off at the park in Tokpa where I got a bus to Seme border. (Cost: N400). Border crossing went smoothly and I was back home 3 hours and 1,400 naira later.
This trip eventually cost me less than N15,000 (Thanks to Chuka and my couchsurfing host) but I budgeted higher.

Kudos OP , if more Africans patronized their neighbours what need do we have to go abroad all the time

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by ImaIma1(f): 6:45am On Mar 08, 2018
This article is deceptive...haba!!! When you said through 3 countries, but i only see Togo and Benin Rep.
The 15k was enough for you because of all the freebies you got. Other people might not be that lucky.

Be wary of too many free things...so that you don't go and enter one chance or end up as somebody's meal.

2 Likes

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by agarawu23(m): 7:08am On Mar 08, 2018
Seslie:

Sorry, was not aware there was a restriction on posting personal photos. Would focus on just places subsequently.

I mentioned I budgeted higher. But this is a personal experience of how much I spent. And it can be replicated. Maybe not to the T and I'm not saying you should travel with only N15k. The message I'm trying to pass across is that Travel doesn't always have to be expensive.
U get it wrong, travelling is expensive and will always be. Don't forget your trip was West African countries and u went by road, not everyone has the strength to seat in a car for hours.

you didn't tell us what went down overnight with the "host guy" u slept together lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by Nobody: 7:34am On Mar 08, 2018
AnthonyAk:

Kudos OP , if more Africans patronized their neighbours what need do we have to go abroad all the time

Thanks Anthony. We need to see our own country more and a lot more African countries. There's so much beauty everywhere.

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by Nobody: 7:35am On Mar 08, 2018
nuttybyorigin:
Nice post Op. Once took a tour of the West Coast and it was an amazing experience. Tho my tour ended at Ghana. I would love to try it out all the way to Cote D'Ivoire. Maybe we can plan a trip as a group or something. What dyu think?
that will be nice, let me know how it will go! I've never been out of this country and I need it so bad!

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by Nobody: 7:39am On Mar 08, 2018
agarawu23:
U get it wrong, travelling is expensive and will always be. Don't forget your trip was West African countries and u went by road, not everyone has the strength to seat in a car for hours.

you didn't tell us what went down overnight with the "host guy" u slept together lipsrsealed
Travel doesn't have to be expensive. Because it's West Africa or because I went by road means it's not travel? Absolutely not. Some places are more expensive to visit but there are places you can go to on a low budget. It all boils down to personal preference. This is a personal story.

Many people have asked what went down. I only found out after this trip the kind of mindset a lot of Nigerians have. People of God, it doesn't always have to be about sleeping together. Couchsurfing is not a dating site. Your host or you have no obligation to do what you don't want to do. If you use this service, you should always have a plan b, in case you feel uncomfortable. You can check out.
Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by Nobody: 7:45am On Mar 08, 2018
ImaIma1:
This article is deceptive...haba!!! When you said through 3 countries, but i only see Togo and Benin Rep.
The 15k was enough for you because of all the freebies you got. Other people might not be that lucky.

Be wary of too many free things...so that you don't go and enter one chance or end up as somebody's meal.
Through 3 countries, not to. I mentioned I budgeted higher. But this is a personal account of what I spent. The only 'free' thing was the bus ride. I checked and I was comfortable to go with it. This is my own personal story. Some might not be that adventurous to replicate, some people might.

Couchsurfing is free for everyone. Find hosts, read their references. If you feel comfortable enough to stay with them, send them messages. If you're not comfortable with staying in male host's homes, send messages to only females. Or stay in budget hotels like I did in Lome.
Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by Ifesinachi22(m): 7:49am On Mar 08, 2018
agarawu23:
there is nothing interesting in Sierra Leone, Liberia is a poverty country, nothing special there.

Ghana
Port novo
Abidjan

U won't regret visiting and your budget should be between 200k and 300k cos cefa is very high to naira now. You don't even budget to another man's land, u need to have enough cash with u "in case of incasity"

Thanks Bro.
I really appreciate

2 Likes

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by adebayogates(m): 9:08am On Mar 08, 2018
nuttybyorigin:
Nice post Op. Once took a tour of the West Coast and it was an amazing experience. Tho my tour ended at Ghana. I would love to try it out all the way to Cote D'Ivoire. Maybe we can plan a trip as a group or something. What dyu think?

If this thing works out...I'm ready.

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by ImaIma1(f): 9:13am On Mar 08, 2018
Seslie:

Through 3 countries, not to. I mentioned I budgeted higher. But this is a personal account of what I spent. The only 'free' thing was the bus ride. I checked and I was comfortable to go with it. This is my own personal story. Some might not be that adventurous to replicate, some people might.

Couchsurfing is free for everyone. Find hosts, read their references. If you feel comfortable enough to stay with them, send them messages. If you're not comfortable with staying in male host's homes, send messages to only females. Or stay in budget hotels like I did in Lome.

I will check it out

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by adebayogates(m): 9:14am On Mar 08, 2018
Seslie:
I'm going to IVC next! Using N100K through 5 countries. DM?
I'm interested too

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by adebayogates(m): 9:27am On Mar 08, 2018
Tosinex:
that will be nice, let me know how it will go! I've never been out of this country and I need it so bad!

I'm a plus to this idea...tag me along..

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by olujastro: 9:33am On Mar 08, 2018
Seslie:

I'm going to IVC next! Using N100K through 5 countries. DM?
This is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm somehow ashamed that I haven't visited my neighbouring countries at all.
I planned to do the West African route from Lagos up to Abidjan in IVC back in December when I went for Christmas but couldn't find anyone to go with me, except I was ready to sponsor the person's entire trip.

I've seen a couple of people here indicating interest in doing this trip soon. I'll love to do this during the next Christmas holiday in December as I have other trips planned for Easter and Summer holidays already.
Then East African trip can come in 2019.
Anyone interested in the bolded should holla.

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by valvict: 10:39am On Mar 08, 2018
Hi seslie, when are you planning your next travel, I'll love to join a group of 3, 4

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by Nobody: 2:13pm On Mar 08, 2018
valvict:
Hi seslie, when are you planning your next travel, I'll love to join a group of 3, 4
I am going to Benin Rep again soon and another African country (not sure which, maybe IVC, Egypt or Rwanda). You can subscribe to my blog to get notified of dates
Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by boyjo: 2:53pm On Mar 08, 2018
chiefojiji:
What money can't buy, what can buy it?? Who know the answer??

What money can`t buy the blood of Jesus can buy it e.g peace of mind.

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by AnthonyAk(m): 6:06pm On Mar 08, 2018
Seslie:

Thanks Anthony. We need to see our own country more and a lot more African countries. There's so much beauty everywhere.

Agreed smiley

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by LemuelIrabor: 7:17pm On Mar 08, 2018
What an adventure! ☺️

Frankly, I'm not even sure which is more spectacular: the fact that you're not afraid to take frequent dives into the unknown.. OR the simple-cum-scintillating fact that you took the time to write it all down.

Good work!
smiley

PS: On the side, were you ever ''scared'' about the unknown during any part of the trip?

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by chiefojiji(m): 8:52pm On Mar 08, 2018
boyjo:

What money can`t buy the blood of Jesus can buy it e.g peace of mind.
we all know that pastor! tongue
Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by jpphilips(m): 11:24pm On Mar 08, 2018
Seslie:

We wouldnt know still if you had a quickie to augment your budget, we never know! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: How I Travelled Through 3 Countries With A N15,000 Budget! by jpphilips(m): 11:32pm On Mar 08, 2018
Seslie:

You just benefitted from Nigeria's Ecowas protocol, that's what terror herdsmen are threatening to take away from you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Golf Involved In Accident In Zamfara, Victims Need To Be Identified / My Terrible Experience At Onitsha Motor Park / Calabar Monorail Coaches Arrive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.