Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,055 members, 7,818,160 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:12 AM

I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss (27781 Views)

Manager Sack Over ‘cruel’ Response To Employee With Son On Life Support / Meet The Lady Who Makes Furniture With Used Tyres Gotten From Dumpsites. / Meet The Lady Who Makes Furniture With Used Tyres Gotten From Dumpsites. Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by haibe(m): 7:50pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrphysics:

I just saw where you talked about Pension, NHF and NHIS, those are tax exempts that will be removed from her consolidated taxable income (after the 200000 + 20% of her salary is removed) before imposing the rate.

If you remove those tax exempts, it becomes so clear that she was cheated. She pays for NHF, pension without having a pension account? NHf account? And TIN?

Most one man businesses only deduct the mandatory pension of 8%, thats why i said it is unlikely she made those other contributions.

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by baby124: 7:50pm On Mar 09, 2018
Lmaoooo...
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by haibe(m): 7:51pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrphysics:

You mean that your monthly salary is 150 or gross annual income?

Not connecting

Monthly..
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by haibe(m): 7:53pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrphysics:

This is a public forum.
who know you..lol .. public but faceless forum
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by Nobody: 7:53pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:

Monthly..
My Salary is 40K, Tax is 5k, that was what he said
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by haibe(m): 7:55pm On Mar 09, 2018
GEKE:

Okay thanks for providing a figure, i will compute what your exact tax should be . Its shouldn't be up to 5k
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by Nobody: 7:55pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:

Can u give the exact figure of your salary? My gross is 150 and i pay about 11k after pension deduction, let's reconcile our difference pls.. whats ur gross exactly
it's 40K
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by mrphysics(m): 7:58pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:
who know you..lol .. public but faceless forum
Lol, many people sad sad
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by mrphysics(m): 8:02pm On Mar 09, 2018
GEKE:
it's 40K
Your gross annual income is 480k. And N200, 000 + 20% of N480,000 = N296,000

N480, 000 - N296, 000 = N184, 000

This is less than N300k, so your PAYE is 1% of your annual income which is 4800. Then your monthly PAYE is N400.

Cc. Haibe

Modified
PAYE is paid monthly so it is wrong for him to pay your yearly PAYE even when you may not be with his firm throughout the year. Only Direct Assessment Tax is paid on annual basis

4 Likes

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by Ekaka1(m): 8:08pm On Mar 09, 2018
GEKE:
Hello Guys
The story is not too Long but I will just want to know you opinion and advice, if possibly HELP OF ANOTHER JOB, please no insult.......

Am a graduate of Office Technology & Management with 4 years experience on Secretary, Front Desk, & Customer Service.... staying at Ajah Lagos

Ending of January I got a job through nairaland, the office is at Ajah, I was looking forward to work at ajah because I have an elderly woman am looking after, I don't want to work very far...
I was called for interview as a Secretary, on getting to the office, it was not what I was having in mind, the office is actually in a plaza, very small one at that, so i went in & was interviewed and salary was discussed, it was a very small amount for a graduate, but it's better than staying at home and I have huge responsibility, so I accepted the offer and to start working February.o

Oe week I discovered I was the only employee, anyone he interviewed on phone after coming to see the office they ran away because of the office Condition.. In the office No system to work with, only one lap top used by the boss alone, only one standing fan facing him alone, he promised to get my system,and new standing fan the day he was interviewing me, but he didn't, I doo come to work with a hand fan, and goes home smelling sweat, buying sure & rolling like mad..

I have never done anything relating to what I was employed for, what I do is going errands for him, he sends me out to many places, to go meet friends, collect receipts and all that are very far place, I endured through till it's time to pay me, he started posting me, today tomorrow, this evening, tomorrow morning, this afternoon, EVEN when I told home I need to go for my late father burial arrangements on Sunday cos I work Saturday, he said he would send my salary and he didn't...

Then one Sunday he called me to come to office to come collect my salary, I was happy at least am getting paid for my sweat.... getting to the office, he handed over the money to me I counted it, and I discovered the money was short of 5k, I asked he said the 5 thousand was for TAX.......I was speechless at first,. because he didn't tell me anything as such and how is 5k for TAX only, This is the money after paying all my debt am left with nothing.............

You can't even write straight..
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by Missanneb(m): 8:08pm On Mar 09, 2018
my guy you don mad finish lmao..
make she dey sell egusi for junction kor lolzz
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by Originalsly: 8:12pm On Mar 09, 2018
As a graduate..... you the only employee.... one laptop used by the CEO... one fan..... didn't a warning bell go off in to your head? ...and we wonder why some people mysteriously disappear.

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by midolian(m): 8:12pm On Mar 09, 2018
BecaciaBarbie:
#5,000 naira for tax? shocked I'm a Tax Consultant and that is unbelievable too much!!!! Just for a month? Kai
So in essence, if you worked for him for a year, you will be paying a total of #60,000 naira for tax annually? grin grin grin
As a tax consultant, i expected you to ask what her gross income is like before your conclusion. Depending on your income, you can pay as much as 50k or more monthly.

Not saying the employer has said the truth..just saying its possible to pay 5k or more as tax monthly depending on your income..

2 Likes

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by haibe(m): 8:12pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrphysics:

This is less than N300k, so your PAYE is 1% of your annual income which is 4800. Then your monthly PAYE is N400.

Cc. Haibe

Modified
PAYE is paid monthly so it is wrong for him to pay your yearly PAYE even when you may not be with his firm throughout the year. Only Direct Assessment Tax is paid on annual basis

Show me that section of PITA that restricts the tax payable where her CRA is less than 300k
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by mrphysics(m): 8:16pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:

Show me that section of PITA that restricts the tax payable where her CRA is less than 300k
Not here to do this bro.

I may not speak further. Lirs dot gov.ng has a calculator there. Or use their live chat.

I helped in the analysis that led to the automation of the digital payment of various Tax heads
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by midolian(m): 8:17pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:

You mean Annual Income?
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by haibe(m): 8:17pm On Mar 09, 2018
GEKE:
it's 40K

Does he contribute pension for you?
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by Nobody: 8:19pm On Mar 09, 2018
GEKE:

I am not a tax Consultant. I am not even working yet but based on my knowledge in Taxation, her PIT should be #3200 and not #5000.

my Figure was derive through this calculation .

7% of 30000 = 2100
11% of 10000 = 1100

The sum of 2100 and 1100 should be #3200 and not #5000.

Exploitation is just too rampant in Nigeria down to the Grass root.

may God help us
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by Essy697: 8:20pm On Mar 09, 2018
If u are earning up to 45k ur tax per month is 1,353... if u re earning below dt ur tax isn't up to dt amount..The higher u earn d more u pay.
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by haibe(m): 8:21pm On Mar 09, 2018
GEKE:
it's 40K

Based on my computation and assuming no pension deduction, ur paye should be 2576 monthly, so you need to investigate further why he is deducting 5k, could it be that he is remitting pension or NHF for you? These are the things you need to find out before concluding that he is cheating you.
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by midolian(m): 8:22pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrphysics:

Cc. Haibe

Modified
Bro, i think your calculation is wrong..the 1% is applicable when your gross annual is 300k or below..you dont have to apply the CRA before arriving at the gross annual.

For the 300k n below, it is so becos the tax authority will get higher tax if the 1% is applied compared to the use of CRA n graduating rate.

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by haibe(m): 8:22pm On Mar 09, 2018
mrphysics:

Not here to do this bro.

I may not speak further. Lirs dot gov.ng has a calculator there. Or use their live chat.

I helped in the analysis that led to the automation of the digital payment of various Tax heads

Ok thanks, you have tried
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by Kwenty: 8:24pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:
Why is everyone amazed at 5k for tax? My tax is 5 digits and i am not even complaining undecided
For this kind of job she described, 5k tax is extortion abeg. If the pay is not up to 100k, which I know it's not close to it and the boss is collecting 5k then it's cheating.
Paying tax of 5 digits and not complaining simply implies that the pay justifies the tax.

2 Likes

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by joinnow: 8:26pm On Mar 09, 2018
If you have spare fan carry it to your office or buy one its 6k or less.if you have personal laptop carry it to your office too.
For tax go to Lagos tax website input your pay and the amount to pay as paye will be shown.

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by Sagay212: 8:31pm On Mar 09, 2018
lol...when we tell some idio.ts that it is not everybody that will be an entrepreneur, they'll be bragging stupidly about how they cannot work 9 to 5 or work for somebody else...blah blah bla i want to be my own boss rubbish. This is the result. person wey never chop belleful wan dey form boss dey employ people even though he doesn't need any employee.

5 Likes

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by BecaciaBarbie(f): 8:31pm On Mar 09, 2018
midolian:
As a tax consultant, i expected you to ask what her gross income is like before your conclusion. Depending on your income, you can pay as much as 50k or more monthly.

Not saying the employer has said the truth..just saying its possible to pay 5k or more as tax monthly depending on your income..
I'm not saying it is impossible, just go through her post again....I'm really in a bad mood and can't argue please.
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by mrphysics(m): 8:32pm On Mar 09, 2018
midolian:
Bro, i think your calculation is wrong..the 1% is applicable when your gross annual is 300k or below..you dont have to apply the CRA before arriving at the gross annual.

For the 300k n below, it is so becos the tax authority will get higher tax if the 1% is applied compared to the use of CRA n graduating rate.
This is just trial and error method. Ofcourse if your pay is N300k, it won't stand CRA. Hence 1% will be applied.

To general rule is that if your annual gross income minus (N200k + 20% of your gross income) is less than N300k, then 1% rate will be applied.

Now if you have tax exempts, pension, NHF, NHIS, and LAP, then you still minus it before applying the rate
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by Ajixegun: 8:35pm On Mar 09, 2018
haibe:

Oga I can lecture you on the personal income tax act as a whole sef.

My problem with you guys is that you don't even know her Gross Pay and you are commenting based on assumptions.

What theory works for govt only? How do you guys jump into conclusion

You argue blindly. A lady that's being sent errands here and their like a house help, and you're here trying to argue about her salary as if should would be collecting up to 70k. If you're to be the boss, how much would you pay such an employee monthly?

3 Likes

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by haibe(m): 8:40pm On Mar 09, 2018
Ajixegun:

You argue blindly. A lady that's being sent errands here and their like a house help, and you're here trying to argue about her salary as if should would be collecting up to 70k. If you're to be the boss, how much would you pay such an employee monthly?
oga park well.. we dnt compute paye based on assumptions

1 Like

Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by obimath(m): 9:28pm On Mar 09, 2018
Pls may I know the amount of the salary,so that I will know if 5k is ok or not
Re: I Thought I Have Gotten A Job, Cruel Boss by Dirkcoyt: 10:01pm On Mar 09, 2018
Sagay212:
lol...when we tell some idio.ts that it is not everybody that will be an entrepreneur, they'll be bragging stupidly about how they cannot work 9 to 5 or work for somebody else...blah blah bla i want to be my own boss rubbish. This is the result. person wey never chop belleful wan dey form boss dey employ people even though he doesn't need any employee.

bros abeg no make me laugh fall ground grin

No bs their fault, na all this motivational speaker dey prop d up coupled with unemployment.

In as much as entrepenuership is the best way to financial freedom its still the most tedious route for the faint hearted.

you are not an entreprneur if you idea/work as been done before. entrepreneur means new entry. bill gate introduce microsoft which was never around, steve job introduce apple a very different OS. likewise elon musk telsa or spaceX.
our very own njoku of iroko tv brought in something different.

anyone doing what an entrepenuer already done will only play catch up. look at mtn and others? dstv and others. this two introduce new idea into naija.

if you are a entrepenuer it will be your ideas and others. A pioneer always standout. stop letting motivational speakers prop you up. if its not new idea is not entrepenuer. entrepenuering means solving existing problem with new idea. anything apart from this is just joining the bandwagon of self employed.

entrepeneur needs serious funding and network buidling to eventually weave it altogether. jobberman is king because they are the first to launch an online job recruiting firm. linda ikeji because among the first set of bloggers. nairaland because its first set of forum. notjustok because it the first to solving music download.

To qualify as entrepeuer be the first to solve a problem.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Lady Narrates How Okada Man Saved Her From Embarrassment In Lagos / Can Someone Survive On ₦130,000 Monthly In Lagos? / 7 Small Things You Should Do To Be Successful

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.