Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,873 members, 7,862,933 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 09:20 AM

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) (42) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (61271 Views)

Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (R.I.P Bawomolo). / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only (Old) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (100) (Go Down)

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by v3: 4:54pm On Jul 17, 2010
grin grin grin
Me bhoys running things. COYG! cool
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by SirKay3(m): 5:00pm On Jul 17, 2010
Game over. 4nil to The Arsenal.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by v3: 5:05pm On Jul 17, 2010
Game Over cool
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by saviola77(m): 5:11pm On Jul 17, 2010
hopefully this is a start to a very good season for the arsenal.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by dayokanu(m): 5:31pm On Jul 17, 2010
Arsenals moment of glory in the past half decade has only been in pre season games

When the whole thing gets down they are nowhere to be found
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by HNIC(m): 5:35pm On Jul 17, 2010
Good result
4-0 is kool
But remember its  just Barnet.(No disrespect to Barnet fans grin)
The Youth team can handle them
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by HNIC(m): 5:40pm On Jul 17, 2010
dayokanu:

Arsenals moment of glory in the past half decade has only been in pre season games
They have been in existence for about 12 decades and have won plenty of laurels.
Why is your kini so excited about just the past half decade?
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by Jencejyde(m): 6:00pm On Jul 17, 2010
Arsenal 4 : Barnett 0 Just the start to erase the Nigerian horror show from memory! Extremely Arsenal!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by proudly9ja(m): 10:24pm On Jul 17, 2010
Full Stop!

Arsène Wenger insists that the stories surrounding Cesc Fabregas moving to Barcelona have to stop.

The Spanish midfielder has been consistently linked with a move to the Nou Camp throughout the summer. Arsenal put out a strongly-worded statement when the issue first arose but the story has just not gone away.

Speaking after Saturday's 4-0 victory over Barnet, Wenger re-affirmed his desire to keep Fabregas and outlined that he and Sandro Rosell, the new Barca president, had found a common understanding.

"There was a lot of unneeded talk," he said. "It is not pleasant to read this every day. Now, the story has to stop.

"Cesc is our captain, he is so important to us and we want to keep him, that is why we were not listening to any offers.

"It was not a problem of money, just the desire to keep him at the club.

"We can only influence our own behaviour, and I believe things have now gone straight again with Sandro Rosell. We always had a consistent attitude and were always reluctant to talk about Cesc's departure.

"It is very important we give the impression that because somebody wants a player from us, we don't just give in," he went on.

"We have shown our love and care for Cesc since the start. I believe Cesc loves the club, has shown his attachment to the club many times and I am very confident the story will end there. We want Cesc to be part of our club next year, and that is it.

"What we want is to build a team for the future, to develop our team and are not in any talks for next year or the year after - we want our players to be focused on the targets we have at the Club."
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by HNIC(m): 10:53pm On Jul 17, 2010
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by HNIC(m): 11:09pm On Jul 17, 2010
Happy Married life to Big Sol Campbell

Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by proudly9ja(m): 12:15am On Jul 18, 2010
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger expects defenders William Gallas and Mickael Silvestre to leave the Emirates, but has also played down talks of signing Fulham goalkeeper Mark Schwarzer.

Both Gallas and Silvestre are out of contract at the Gunners and have yet to decide on their futures.

In recent times, Gallas has been linked to Serie A club Juventus, while Silvestre has been touted for a move to Spanish outfit Malaga.

It is believed Sol Campbell’s future is also in doubt and Wenger has hinted the trio will leave the Emirates in the coming weeks.

"I believe that Gallas and Silvestre will sign somewhere else," Wenger told Sky Sports. "Sol Campbell is still in no man's land at the moment."

Arsenal have also been linked to goalkeeper Schwarzer but when asked about whether he was interested in such a deal happening, Wenger responded with “not really.”

He added: "We are still looking at various situations, but I would not like to come out on any individuals."

Wenger is yet to decide on his first choice 'keeper for the start of the season after Manuel Almunia missed the pre-season friendly win at Barnet on Saturday.

He continued: "At the moment, in pre-season, there is no No.1 - you have to give a chance to everyone to show how good he is. You cannot decide that today."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/07/17/2030107/arsene-wenger-expects-william-gallas-and-mikael-silvestre-to
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by DrKitaun(m): 12:27am On Jul 18, 2010
good news grin

Silvestre, we love u, but Malaga loves u more grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by tayoccu(m): 3:38am On Jul 18, 2010
glad to see the dweeb leave grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by agabaI23(m): 11:11am On Jul 18, 2010
He should sign for Kano pillars!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by duduspace(m): 11:14am On Jul 18, 2010
Now that the cash flow problem club has gotten the message that we are not selling our captain, lets look forward to Cesc extending his contract later this season.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by agabaI23(m): 11:20am On Jul 18, 2010
He has 4 years left in his 5 years contract.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by duduspace(m): 12:21pm On Jul 18, 2010
agabaI23:

He has 4 years left in his 5 years contract.

Yes, but he'll be able to buy off the rest of the contract from next season methinks (not suggesting our captain wants to do anything of the sort or that it is going to be easy to do but its good to keep these things in mind).

I'll be having another look at the Barnet match later today (I was skiving a bit at work yesterday to see some bits and pieces) but early impressions seems to suggest Frimpong was the standout newcomer yesterday (I still continue to rate him and Coquelin ahead of Eastmond). Simpson scored again as he usually does but we might not have a place for him in the team, JET showed his versatility once again playing a RWF role and not doing badly at all, Traore was good bombing forward but still bad in positioning believing he can make up for it with pace, Nordtveit did enough to suggest there is still hope for him he played RB and didn't look bad even though he is a CB(havin a big RB a la Ivanovic of chelsea wouldn't be a bad thing). Koscielny didn't have a stormer as he wasn't really tested but he seems very much like a Vermaelen clone, I think he reads the game and makes timely interceptions more than depending on the physical side of the game (folks say he had a better 1st game than Vermaelen did with this same fixture last season).

Well known youngsters who didn't exactly impress yesterday were Lansbury and Barazite, I thought Theo is still the same ole Theo, he needs the ball into space and not to feet. Wilshere is almost ready but if he's going to be warming the bench this season Arsene, please give him to Owen Coyle, his time at Bolton did him a lot of good.

Ignasi Miquel and Connor Henderson were the relative newcomers yesterday and I find Connor Henderson a very interesting player, another big man like JET with good ball skills while Miquel looked composed at the back despite his young age 17 (albeit with some kiddish moves  that would undo him with more potent opposition)

The GKs were not tested at all (testament to a new found defensive solidity?) but its early days yet.

The older heads were true to type yesterday, Arshavin is still lazy at tracking back but dangerous in the opponent's area, Vermaelen still makes his forward forays and can still shoot, Rosicky looked a different player playing through the middle and so did Nasri who seems to be really up for it this season (hope another early season injury doesn't dampen that enthusiasm). Chamakh looked comfortable in possesion didn't have much opportunities but kept the Barnet defense from stepping up, his bringing of others into play was good and his work ethic was evident even though he basically coasted through the game.

We should have a more complete picture with the next match on Wednesday since the only 2 remaining players who will be absent are RVP and Cesc (fingers crossed Vela doesn't lose his passport again). I think the team should set a target of getting through pre-season without conceding.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by duduspace(m): 5:15pm On Jul 18, 2010
Serious rumors are emanating of Eduardo moving to Shaktar for 7.5m, if this is true, that is some good business yet again by Arsene, a bit of a pity Eduardo couldn't get to his pre-injury levels.
European U19s is on Eurosport and Tom Cruise is playing as a holding MF for England against Austria who have DK's much touted David Alaba in their team, I must say that they've been moving the ball better than England who've just scored thru Frank Nouble (formerly of West Ham)
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 5:39pm On Jul 18, 2010
duduspace:

Serious rumors are emanating of Eduardo moving to Shaktar for 7.5m, if this is true, that is some good business yet again by Arsene, a bit of a pity Eduardo couldn't get to his pre-injury levels.
European U19s is on Eurosport and Tom Cruise is playing as a holding MF for England against Austria who have DK's much touted David Alaba in their team, I must say that they've been moving the ball better than England who've just scored thru Frank Nouble (formerly of West Ham)

I'd be sad to see Dudu go. . . .if true, Wenger better use the funds to do the urgent strengthening we require.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by proudly9ja(m): 5:51pm On Jul 18, 2010
I hope Eduardo stays, I really do. The only difference upfront between this season and last season is that we have one more striker and if we all remember, we had it real bad injury wise that at a stage we had to deploy Arshavin as the lone striker. If Eduardo stays he'l be an additional option as I doubt Wenger will do any business in that regards this summer.

I still think he will get back to the Eduardo we used to know. He just needs games. At worst, Arsene can loan him to another premiership side till January.

The way its looking, it seems we won't be buying any goalkeeper this summer. From what I gather, Arsene will be giving Manu a last chance to prove himself. If this is true, Il be totally disappointed but Im glad he's done and is still doing something about our defensive frailties.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by Sauron1: 6:20pm On Jul 18, 2010
PUYOL: ARSENAL MUST SHOW CESC SOME RESPECT

PUYOL has told Arsenal to show Cesc Fabregas some respect and allow him to join Barcelona.

Fabregas, 23, has been the subject of intense interest from the Spanish champions, who had a £29million offer for him rejected last month.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger has ruled out the possibility of allowing his captain to leave the Emirates.

But Barca defender Puyol — who along with Fabregas was part of Spain's victorious World Cup squad — says the midfielder should be allowed to move back to the club where he started his career in order to win more silverware.

Arsenal have not won a trophy in five years and Puyol, 32, said: "I think Arsenal need to respect his class and show the same class by giving the guy who has given so much to them the move that he and his family want.

"He isn't just being deprived of moving to the best club in the world, more importantly, he is being deprived of coming home.

"He has tried everything to win trophies at Arsenal and when he sees the success so many of his Spanish team-mates are having at Barcelona, it's only natural that he should want to be a part of that."

Speaking to a Sunday newspaper, Puyol added: "Cesc is the future of Barcelona and Arsenal can't do anything to stop that.

"I have just spent six weeks with him and there is only one club he wants to be at."

Barcelona ain't SMILING. . . . .Cesc, it's time for you to pack your bags and GOOOOOOOOOO!!! grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by HNIC(m): 7:21pm On Jul 18, 2010
Puyol
Good Player
But like many of the Barca Players/staff/board members/fans. . . . VERY STUPID!
Fork out Arsenal's damn valuation of CESC or BARCA should shut the EF Up!
Oponu people grin
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by v3: 8:10pm On Jul 18, 2010
We at Arsenal play by the rules, talk 'cash' or shut the fook up cool simples!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by DrKitaun(m): 9:02pm On Jul 18, 2010
Why keep a player that doesnt want to stay ?

AW should sell FAB4 already, this unwarranted noise is doing my head in !!!
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by duduspace(m): 9:20pm On Jul 18, 2010
Let those who want to make noise continue with their noise, you can't win with people, if we had sold him some people will still make noise that Arsenal don't keep their best players and that we are a selling club. All we know is that for now he is an Arsenal player, let those who want to worry about 2 years time worry about it.
If Barca are not ready to put up the cash let them keep shut.

Even if he wants to leave, no one forced him to sign a contract and people need to learn to keep the agreement they make with others, you can't always get what you want in life and that is reality, like Arsene said a while ago, what then is the meaning of a contract and why do people make them? how can a club plan for any length of time if they have to let go of a player at the first sign of home sickness?

This is why we have laws in society, if Cesc knows he really wants to leave, he can always hand in a transfer request without Barca coming into the picture at all, Barca's authorities have handled this issue very irresponsibly and in an immatured manner because this is not the first player they've wanted from Arsenal but this bigoted belief that Cesc somehow belongs to them is enough reason for us to give them a black eye with this particularly when their idle boasts is not even built on any solid financial foundation. I might hate Madrid's spendthrift culture but at least they put their money where their mouth was with their chase of CR9.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by tayoccu(m): 9:22pm On Jul 18, 2010
true
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by proudly9ja(m): 9:37pm On Jul 18, 2010
I personally think Cesc should be stripped of the captain's arm band.

While I understand his wish to go back and play for Barca, I think he has not shown enough respect for the club. I want to believe if he had shut his compatriots up either privately or publicly, they wouldn't come out to say such rubbish against Arsenal.

And Barca should know we'l let him go once they finish paying what they owe us and they can afford to buy him at what we are ready to accept
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by dayokanu(m): 9:53pm On Jul 18, 2010
proudly9ja:

While I understand his wish to go back and play for Barca, I think he has not shown enough respect for the club. I want to believe if he had shut his compatriots up either privately or publicly, they wouldn't come out to say such rubbish against Arsenal.

And Barca should know we'l let him go once they finish paying what they owe us and they can afford to buy him at what we are ready to accept

Not everyone respects failure
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by chamotex(m): 9:58pm On Jul 18, 2010
^^^^ ;d ;d ;d ;d ;d
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by duduspace(m): 10:11pm On Jul 18, 2010
proudly9ja:

While I understand his wish to go back and play for Barca, I think he has not shown enough respect for the club.

There is no reason to, he has never said anything disrespectful to the club and even dedicated his world cup win to the club, he has never even handed in a transfer request, the poor lad is a pawn in all this. Even Nigerians want to play for Barcelona, how much more someone whose grandfather is a Barca season ticket holder?

The Barcelona hierarchy were the ones who muddied the waters and made the situation an impossible one.
It is so bad now that I seriously doubt that Arsenal would accept even 80m because its become a matter of pride and prestige, Barcelona showed Arsenal no respect at all in this matter.

To offer 29m for our captain, a 23 year old Spanish international and European cup winner is insulting enough and even disrespectful to Cesc himself, to conduct all that in the public was the height of stupidity, and to do all these when you don't even have the financial muscle to force a move is nigh imbecilic. Laporta is really a buffon.
Re: Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only by debosky(m): 10:54pm On Jul 18, 2010
proudly9ja:

You must be kidding right? Since when do you have to say things to bring forth idiotic speculation from Barca players?

Cesc should not be stripped of the band - he led by example last season, and if he is prepared to do so again this system then he must retain his captaincy. He has not shown any disrespect - he dedicated his WC victory to Arsenal, what more respect do you require?

Exactly - pay up or shut up. Simple.

If they want him so badly, let them do a CR deal and deposit 60m pounds CASH (not payment in instalments) into our account and we'll give him to them.

(1) (2) (3) ... (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) ... (100)

Arsenal Vs Chelsea (3 - 0) On 24th September 2016 / Chelsea Vs Real Madrid UCL (1 - 3) On 6th April 2022 / Arsenal Fan Thread: For Gunners Only.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.