Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,926 members, 7,814,117 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:07 AM

Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s (37628 Views)

Meet First Nigerian Billionaire Who Was Worth Over $4 Billion In 1950s / 10 Times Governor Sanwo-Olu Was Pointing His Fingers / President Buhari Pointing At Dino Melaye (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by Igboid: 7:31pm On Mar 23, 2018
sangresan:
YOU MAY NOT KNOW THAT I HAVE ALL THESE FIGURES WITH ME..JUST WAITING FOR YOU to provide your "mythical" stats....

Meanwhile ,in that same 1956,according to the Western Region of Nigeria Annual Abstract of Education Statistics 1953-1958:

The West had 6,603 Primary schools
106+ Secondary Modern schools
91 Secondary Grammar Schools
96 Grade II & III Teacher Training Schools
0 Vocational Schools..

So much for your tales.....

You have not said anything yet.
Where are your stats?
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by sangresan(m): 7:36pm On Mar 23, 2018
Igboid:

You have not said anything yet. Where are your stats?
The figures you see are what?

olodo....
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by DerideGull(m): 7:39pm On Mar 23, 2018
sangresan:

Stupid remarks....In the Parliamentary System, a local party could contest elections into the regional house of assembly...Don't expose your ignorance further.

Ibadan People Party was a party formed to protect Ibadan interests...There were also local parties in the Ondo and Edo provinces...

There was also a room for independent candidacy which Nigerians are just clamouring for in the present Republic....

Independent candidacy ensured that you could contest for a post without belonging to any party...After the election, if you emerged the winner, you could form alliance with other parties to form the govt.
Many political gladiators used that route after disagreements with their parties...

No party had presence in the whole of Nigeria even though the NCNC was the largest...They only had areas of strength and sundry political alliances....NPC had no candidate in the South but it was still considered a political party....Ditto the NCNC and the Action Group.....

Many of you don't even understand the Parliamentary System not to talk of arguing intelligently....
This isn't a political tutorial anyway...

Why do most foolish and idiotic Nigerians tend to start off with insults on subject they know nothing about?
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by Igboid: 7:39pm On Mar 23, 2018
Though I am neither Yoruba nor Igbo, my open minded research of Nigeria's history leads me to the conclusion that Nigeria's current failure as a country is 95℅ attributable to the self delusions, short-sightedness/greed and stupidity of Zik and Ironsi.

Here you claim to be "open minded ", though we all know better grin

"As a minority person, why should I not be igbophobic when the unitary system which Igbos brought into Nigeria through the backdoor has perpetually endangered the minorities? Are you expecting them to send you kisses and thank you cards for for being the first to dismantle federalism which guaranteed their protection from the overbearing attitude of the majorities? "

When hassled, you cracked, and told us what we already know.
Which is that you are Igbophobic and hence incapable of holding an open minded discussion on Igbo affairs, like you early claimed.

grin cheesy
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by sangresan(m): 7:41pm On Mar 23, 2018
DerideGull:

Why do most foolish and idiotic Nigerians tend to start off with insults on subject know nothing about?

Only an slowpoke will make such a meaningless rhetoric...

Go back and digest what was in the referred quote...

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by Igboid: 7:41pm On Mar 23, 2018
sangresan:

The figures you see are what?

olodo....

Hello! We are talking about the East having a superior school enrolment stat than the west that needed free education to stay close to the East.

How exactly did the stat you provided help your argument?
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by sangresan(m): 7:44pm On Mar 23, 2018
Igboid:
Though I am neither Yoruba nor Igbo, my open minded research of Nigeria's history leads me to the conclusion that Nigeria's current failure as a country is 95℅ attributable to the self delusions, short-sightedness/greed and stupidity of Zik and Ironsi.

Here you claim to be "open minded ", though we all know better grin

"As a minority person, why should I not be igbophobic when the unitary system which Igbos brought into Nigeria through the backdoor has perpetually endangered the minorities? Are you expecting them to send you kisses and thank you cards for for being the first to dismantle federalism which guaranteed their protection from the overbearing attitude of the majorities? "

When hassled, you cracked, and told us what we already know.
Which is that you are Igbophobic and hence incapable of holding an open minded discussion on Igbo affairs, like you early claimed.

grin cheesy

Stop jumping on what others wrote...It's obvious you don't know anything about what's been discussed...You are just here to play to the gallery and amuse your people....

What that person wrote about Zik was 200% correct...I just don't have time to start discussing Zik all over again...

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by DerideGull(m): 7:44pm On Mar 23, 2018
sangresan:

Only an slowpoke will make such a meaningless rhetoric...

Go back and digest what was in the referred quote...

After the carpet-crossing saga was understood, what happened in the next subsequent election? The AG lost its deposit.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by sangresan(m): 7:45pm On Mar 23, 2018
Igboid:

Hello! We are talking about the East having a superior school enrolment stat than the west that needed free education to stay close to the East.

How exactly did the stat you provided help your argument?

Remind me of the figures you gave..We didn't discuss anything because you haven't supplied the total school enrolment for the Eastern Region....
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by sangresan(m): 7:48pm On Mar 23, 2018
The figures busted your lies of having better teacher to student ratio blah blah blah....

Where were you training those teachers and students when you had inferior number of schools even with more total population.....?

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by sangresan(m): 7:50pm On Mar 23, 2018
DerideGull:

After the carpet-crossing saga was understood, what happened in the next subsequent election? The AG lost its deposit.

Go and sleep dude...The cross-carpeting happened in your "brain"....

The leader of the Ibadan People Party was Chief Adisa Meredith Akinloye...He lived a long time after the saga and properly wrote down what happened....If you still choose to believe what your kinsmen told you rather than search for the truth, it's your cup of tea...

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by sangresan(m): 8:13pm On Mar 23, 2018
We haven't even talked about the kilometres of road tarred, number of hospitals and doctors, number of nurses and midwives, wealth of the govt statutory corporations etc..
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by Igboid: 8:13pm On Mar 23, 2018
sangresan:

Remind me of the figures you gave..We didn't discuss anything because you haven't supplied the total school enrolment for the Eastern Region....

The article I quoted is a researched article with references.

Stop disgracing yourself in public.

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by sangresan(m): 8:27pm On Mar 23, 2018
In what way has this disproved my claim that the Eastern Region had lesser number of youths in school than the Western Region before imitating the Free Education policy in 1957?

Look, we are waiting for your claimed Eastern Region total school enrolment in the 50s to show how Igbos were ahead in the decade before independence...

Your essayists were really shy of quoting total figure as against obscure ratios......Ibos this ration 115:118...IBOs that 25% blah blah blah....

Where are the total figures being used?

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by sangresan(m): 9:31pm On Mar 23, 2018
Our friends are really funny...You are yet to give us the total figures from which those writers' opinions were been formed....

Who would believe such trash?

Achebe lifted empty stats like these to write his infamous book about how Ibos were leading in the decade before independence even though the writer concentrated mostly on developments in the period leading to the 1966 Coup when Igbo leaders were already populating the Federal Civil Service with their kinsmen....

What is so hard in bringing the total figures rather than ratios?

Let see the number of Igbos in school in 1950 or 1955...What is hard in doing that or your schools didnt have records?

Now examine the picture below... I told you that I don't deal with false ratios and halftruths...

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by Igboid: 11:38pm On Mar 23, 2018
sangresan:
Our friends are really funny...You are yet to give us the total figures from which those writers' opinions were been formed....

Who would believe such trash?

Achebe lifted empty stats like these to write his infamous book about how Ibos were leading in the decade before independence even though the writer concentrated mostly on developments in the period leading to the 1966 Coup when Igbo leaders were already populating the Federal Civil Service with their kinsmen....

What is so hard in bringing the total figures rather than ratios?

Let see the number of Igbos in school in 1950 or 1955...What is hard in doing that or your schools didnt have records?

Now examine the picture below... I told you that I don't deal with false ratios and halftruths...

Lol!

If you go through the article references, you would see the numbers.

Not that it matters, since it wouldn't help your argument Now would it?

Which is why you are dragging in an entirely different stat, into the argument, as a distraction technique. Sorry, I wouldn't bite

Go, through the article I posted and see the reference for every single stat it quoted.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by sangresan(m): 12:43am On Mar 24, 2018
I am the one that will help you post the figures in the reference?
Something your fake essayist wasn't even bold enough to display...

Abeg go back to school....

You can see what I posted....It is backed up with full figures not just stupid tales from nonexistent essayists....

Using all indices of human development, the Ibos were far, far behind the Yorubas in 1960....Number of schools, total number of school enrolments, hospitals, qualified doctors, nurses and midwives, kilometres of road tarred, number of literate adults, access to pipe borne water and etc....

I have more where that came from...I don't paste lies or mere opinions of unknown Iboic essayists as stats....

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by DerideGull(m): 6:06pm On Mar 24, 2018
sangresan:

Go and sleep dude...The cross-carpeting happened in your "brain"....

The leader of the Ibadan People Party was Chief Adisa Meredith Akinloye...He lived a long time after the saga and properly wrote down what happened....If you still choose to believe what your kinsmen told you rather than search for the truth, it's your cup of tea...

I do not know when a ninny such as you came in contact with historic facts about western region of Nigeria. Please note that the IPP was led in conjunction with one Adegoke Adelabu. By the way, Adisa Meredith Akinloye was not only an original carpet-crossing ninny, he was equally a backstabber. Adisa Meredith Akinloye also defected to NNDP from Action Group and made sure Awolowo was imprisoned.

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by Igboid: 5:07am On Mar 25, 2018
sangresan:
I am the one that will help you post the figures in the reference?
Something your fake essayist wasn't even bold enough to display...

Abeg go back to school....

You can see what I posted....It is backed up with full figures not just stupid tales from nonexistent essayists....

Using all indices of human development, the Ibos were far, far behind the Yorubas in 1960....Number of schools, total number of school enrolments, hospitals, qualified doctors, nurses and midwives, kilometres of road tarred, number of literate adults, access to pipe borne water and etc....

I have more where that came from...I don't paste lies or mere opinions of unknown Iboic essayists as stats....

I don't see the figures you posted.

You must be an illiterate to not understand the meaning of a researched article.

The Paul Abner journal I provided is loaded with credible references for each and every of its claim.

The onus is on you to prove that the references he quoted as the sources of his claims were wrong.

So far, you had failed to do that. You want Paul Abner book dissmised without a credible counter proof to his assertions.
Posting Yoruba figures, without posting Igbo figures from you, is never going to counter Paul abner, as Paul's argument was never that Yorubas had no figures, it was that the Eastern figures were better and he provided referenced sources for his assertion.

Paul Abner never claimed that the East had more tarred roads than the West, and I never made such claims either, so the last stat you posted was irrelevant to the discussion, and was but a mere distraction for you to vent your frustrations.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by AceRoot(m): 10:11am On Mar 25, 2018
Igboid:
Paul Anber's essay "Modernization and Political Disintegration: Nigeria and the Ibos" published in the journal of Modern African Studies vol. 5, No 2 (Sep, 1967) 163-179. See pp 171-172 for excerpt:

" '' A system of Universal primary education was introduced in Eastern Nigeria in 1953, though the mission schools had already prospered in the Region long before then. Despite the fact that there was a requirement for limited contributory fees, education continued to be very much in demand. Even at the time when universal primary education was first introduced, the percentage of the population over seven years of age who were literate was higher in the East than in any other Region: East, 10.6 per cent; West 9.5 percent; North, 0.9 percent. Since 1959, the East has had more teachers and pupils than any other area of the country, with the heaviest emphasis on primary education.

Figures for elementary and secondary education indicate that the approximate ratio of teachers to population in 1963 was 1 to every 1,500 in the East, 1 to every 2,500 in th West, and 1 for every 10,000 in the north. Other statistical data reveal how rapidly the standard of living rose among Ibos. The East had the most extensive hospital facilities in the country by 1965, the largest regional production of electricity in the country by 1954, and the greatest number of vehicle registrations by 1963. The economic orientation of the Ibos was also reflected through membership of credit associations:in 1963 the East had 68,220 individual members, the west 5,776, and the north a mere 2,407." ''... His source was the Annual Abstract of Statistics ( Federal Office of Statistics, Lagos, 1965

Thanks for republishing this. And you'll notice that it won't be mentioned. Totally shows up the rewritten stories.

2 Likes

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by Nobody: 1:44am On Mar 26, 2018
femi4:
Still doesn't change the fact that UCI was the pace setter

Pacesetter does not mean 1st university Sir.
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by naijjaman(m): 5:51pm On Apr 03, 2018
Deadlytruth:

These two figures did a lot of damage to the future of the entire Southerners in the context of the North-South dichotomy.
While there are generally no heroes in Nigeria in the true sense of the word, Zik and Ironsi are relatively the worst villains whose choices and actions laid the foundations of all the present confusion, bloodshed, misrule, etc that have come to define Nigeria as a Shithole.

Which open mind research of Nigeria history?

How many books or journals have you written on Nigeria's history.

You think all the those kai kai you drink in the creek will give you needed sense, loser!
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by naijjaman(m): 6:12pm On Apr 03, 2018
Deadlytruth:

[s]You deceive yourself. How does neutrality question come in here? Of course there is no neutrality between good and evil. I made myself clear that I don't fancy Ironsi and Zik. How you saw that as a claim to neutrality is beyond my comprehension.
Moreover, how can Igbos be the judge on neutrality when they themselves are an interested party to the issue under discuss by virtue of being the brothers of Zik and Ironsi who put us in this mess through the following:
1. Ironsi introduced military rule into Nigeria through the excuse of the Ifeajuna coup which after foiling he could have saved democracy by simply handing power back to the civilian structure still on ground.
2. At a time when the public was not complaining about the more or less "we the people" independence constitution, Ironsi unilaterally pioneered a review process which would result in a constitutional crisis around which all the national controversies now revolve.
3. Despite the fact that the crisis which led to the anarchical situation in the first republic was a fall out of abuse of power by the government at the center, Ironsi promulgated decrees which further concentrated powers at the center. How sensible was that?
4. At a time when things started falling apart and every tribe, except Igbos, simultaneously wanted an end to Nigeria Ironsi stopped Isaac Adaka Boro who set the ball rolling for others to just follow.
5. Zik and his cheerleaders deprecated and mocked every attempt to have the secession clause in the independence constitution. Such a clause would definitely have instilled the fear of the consequences of misgovernance in all our post independence leaders thus Nigeria would not have been this misruled.
6. Despite the fact that everyone in the Eastern Region registered an aversion for the NPC in the 1959 election where the party scored zero, Zik, in pursuit of his selfish interest, subsequently took the East's NCNC into alliance with NPC thereby giving power to the North to actualize and institutionalize her born-to-rule philosophy as we have it today.
7. The current Benue State, Kogi East Senatorial District and Southern Taraba were all in the Southern Protectorate as at 1900, therefore the South was obviously going to be stronger than the North in all future democratic bargains. But while these three territories were being gerrymandered to the North at the time of regions creation, the Zik who was supposed to be mounting irredentist opposition to it from Enugu as the leader of the Eastern Region into which they should naturally fall was far away in Ibadan greedily seeking to become premier there.
Talk of pursuing a selfish agenda in a far away land while his own home was in flames.
How many would one even enumerate?[/s]

Stop wasting your uncle's data, typing rubbish. Go get a decent job, loser!
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by Deadlytruth(m): 8:49pm On Apr 03, 2018
Igboid:

1. Nzeogwu coup, Ifeajuna coup, Ademoyega coup. Anyone that tickles your Igbophobic brain cells, is the first military rule, as it took power off the civilian government.
Ironsi met no citing civilian government. Dipcharima was not in power, and Orizu was on the run. The government had been sacked and were no longer functional.
They civilians were plotting a comeback, but Ironsi snuffed it out in its bud. Simple.
So No, Ironsi took power from Nzeogwu and co, not from dead Saraduna, run away Zik, and hiding and yet to be sworn Orizu or Dipcharima.

2. The argument of my brothers, was that Ironsi didn't destroy the vestiges of the regional system and structures before he left, when Ironsi died, the Regions were still intact. And all had military governors.
Gowon it was who finally eviscerated the regional structures with his creation of abominations called states.

3." The Core North's objective for toppling Ironsi was not primarily to correct his blunders but to further perpetrate them so that Igbos might through practical experience understand why unitary system is not desirable for a multi-ethnic nation and therefore unlearn their belief in it".

How do we reconcile you above vomitus with your below vituperation :

"Gowon, on a personal note, had actually begun to reverse Ironsi's blunders until it was overtaken by Ojukwu's intransigence".

On one hand, you claim the North had no plans of reversing Ironsi "blunders", on second hand, you claim Gowon was already reversing Ironsi "blunders", you just can't keep your ish straight, can you?

Regardless of your meandering, Gowon didn't reverse Ironsi "blunders " in the end, he had 9yrs to do that, and didn't.
You can't run away from this.

4. The Nigerian unity project was an NCNC project. Zik spoke on the conference as an NCNC leader, and not an Igbo leader.
NCNC was a multiethinic national party with many non Igbo henchmen, and not one of them of note, opposed Zik and NCNC one Nigeria project.
On why NCNC and NPC chose to dump AG and go into alliance with Each other, blame Awolowo treachery for that.
No one wants to go into alliance with someone with trust issues.
Awo and AG through their shenanigans, proved not to be trust worthy. It's simple as that.

6. But the event you speak of, the constitutional conference and NCNC one Nigeria stance, occurred pre independence, so even if we accept your lie, that NCNC became an Igbo only party post independence, how exactly does it help your argument of trying to prove that NCNC one Nigeria stance in pre independence represents Igbo stand and not NCNC , a multiethinic national party, stance?
You see, you had maneuverd your self into a cul-de-sac.

7. You are a liar, no part of Kwara or Kogi was part of Southern region by 1906.
Here is the proof:https://www.nairaland.com/1019602/dont-blame-1914-amalgamation-rather/1

Stop wasting my time on redundant arguments.
The regions were created in 1939 by Bernard Bourdillion.
Stop wasting my time.

1. Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu did not successfully take over power hence your argument that Ironsi took over from them is built on nothing and turns logic on its head.
A civilian government is defined not by the personalities in power but by the offices set up by the constitution. Ironsi met the constitution intact, and by extension met the government offices intact and was therefore advised by the civilians to follow what the intact constitution recommend by way of swearing in Dipcharima so that the coup plotters would be punished for treasonable felony. But he declined and decided to subvert the constitution.

2. However, neither you nor your brothers have been able to answer the question as to what exactly Ironsi therefore meant when in his May 24 national broadcast declared that:
i. the former regions have now become groups of provinces.
ii. the country ceased to be what is called a federation but had become just "Republic of Nigeria".
iii. every well meaning citizen agreed that the main impediment to national progress was regionalism and all its vestiges must be rooted out of the system.
Moreover, if Ironsi did not kill the regions, why did Gowon find it necessary to issue his own Decree 56 which restored them with their full autonomy for 11 months?
3. If only you know what the term "primarily' connotes in the context you would not have been in your delusional discovery of a contradiction. Please consult your dictionary and read with comprehension skills.
I claim that the Core North (Not just the North). So don't misquote me.
4.Why have you consistently been dodging the question about why four years later NCNC decided to join forces with the supposedly untrustworthy AG towards fostering the UPGA alliance to the point that Michael Okpara had to on behalf of Zik visit Ibadan to mend fences with an "untrustworthy" party whose leader was serving a jail term slammed on him by a ruling coalition in which NCNC was part and parcel of? Doesn't it sound absurd to common sense? You termed a party as untrustworthy yet you later went seeking that party's friendship. Then what are you yourself?
The fact that it was the same NCNC that later dumped the UPGA alliance for an offer in the NNA brought to power by brazen rigging lays it bare that Zik and NCNC were the merchants of treachery.
Above all, attaching Zik's preference for the NPC-NCNC alliance to the phantom Awolowo double deal does not make sense if one recalls that even before independence Zik had through several utterances made it clear that he was ready to sacrifice anything to keep the North in Nigeria at his own personal cost and at the risk of the entire South. The situation after the 1959 election was such that the North's condition for remaining in Nigeria was to be given political power to which Zik obliged in his quest to hold the North back. How this Awolowo double deal theory later came through backdoor to rationalize that blunder of Zik after it had boomeranged is what remains a puzzle.
Awolowo's phantom double play had not occurred when Zik declared in the 40s that he was ready to pay the ultimate price to keep Nigeria intact, and even later gave a long speech warning those Northerners asking for secession earlier on and promising them political concessions from the South if they changed their minds.

6. My claim that "The NCNC had become an Igbo party at that moment" is totally different from you own suggestion which puts me as saying that "The NCNC became an Igbo party at independence"
I don't want to believe you don't know the function of 'had' in that sentence I made.
And in any case the presence of non-Igbo members in NCNC did not strip it of its Igbo-centric outlook any more than the presence of non-Hausa-Fulani members in NPC strip NPC of its Hausa-Fulani focused outlook. Recall that Zik had shifted NCNC's base to the East. How did a nationalist party have its base shifted from the federal capital to a regional one?

7. I have taken my time all this while to study that thread you referenced and discovered you have no point.
The map shown there is a purely trade based demarcation of territories which illustrates Richard Akinjide's recent exposition that Nigeria's Protectorates started purely as British trade entities and not ethnicity based political administrative units. The straight line boundary at the Eastern axis is a testimonial to this as it was hardly possible for yet uncolonized African tribes to have maintained a perfectly straight line boundary with one another in their settlement patterns.
The straight line boundary in question falls on latitude 7.3°N beneath which a lot of the present Kogi East towns and Benue towns native to Igbos and Tivs fall. Examples are Idah, Ajaka, Onyedega, Adoru, Okpo, Orukpa, Otukpa, Orokam, Angba, Otukpo, Oju, Igumale, Koniya, Vande Ikiya, Adikpo, Kashimbila, Utonkon, etc.
Your own quoted map has revealed you as the liar here and boxed you to a dead end.
However, the real ethnicity based boundaries which came into being when Protectorates assumed administrative forms is what you see below and you can see the whole of present Kogi East and the entire current Benue State in the Southern Protectorate. This image is taken from page 39 of Macmillan Atlas authored by seasoned academics of Geography and history under the editorial guidance of others like Dr. Frederick O.A. Dada (Hons) Geography ABU, MSc Glasgow and PhD UI, together with Garba Musa Jibrin and Dr. Adane Ijeoma. I guess you also call them liars.
You may get a copy from your nearest bookshop to cure your ignorance.
The 1939 Bouillon Constitution did not create regions but territories which only became re-created regions amidst gerrymandering in 1951 and then accorded autonomous powers same year. The change from territories to regions involved serious nationwide consultations. Why couldn't Zik use the opportunity to speak up against the gerrymandering as the leader of the East? Rather, in his one Nigeria delusion, he was far away in Ibadan thwarting Awolowo's irredentist efforts targeted at Yorubas native to the current Kwara and Kogi.

If my arguments were redundant you would not have bothered replying.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by Deadlytruth(m): 9:01pm On Apr 03, 2018
naijjaman:

Stop wasting your uncle's data, typing rubbish. Go get a decent job, loser!

When you threatened to start with me I thought it was facts you were bringing to the table to prove me wrong only for me to see wailing and gnashing of teeth. It is obvious you are a lilliputian where facts and logic drive a debate. So I will not bother responding to you again until you supply facts and logic based arguments.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by Deadlytruth(m): 9:06pm On Apr 03, 2018
DerideGull:

Arrant nonsense. This was tableted after the carpet-crossing. One major plank of the episode that the author deceitfully omitted were the platform and manifesto the mushroom parties used during the election. It must be noted that parties that did not have national coverage or presence were not allowed to contest election. Those who crossed carpet included individuals who ran under the NCNC's platform and manifesto.

For the bolded, why not then supply your own correct account? Is that supposed to be easier than the expletive you issued above? Bring your own account and list let us examine them. Debates are as simple as that.
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by naijjaman(m): 9:58pm On Apr 03, 2018
Deadlytruth:

When you threatened to start with me I thought it was facts you were bringing to the table to prove me wrong only for me to see wailing and gnashing of teeth. It is obvious you are a lilliputian where facts and logic drive a debate. So I will not bother responding to you again until you supply facts and logic based arguments.

Get a job and stop the ogogoro and too much weed in the creek.

After your parents used the money they got from the abandoned property, nothing was left to send you to school and that's why you spend your sorry time and life looking to blame other people for your misery. I don't waste time arguing with kitchen tables like you. Mention me once and I will mention you 10 times. None sense!
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by naijjaman(m): 10:01pm On Apr 03, 2018
Deadlytruth:

[s]1. Ifeajuna and Nzeogwu did not successfully take over power hence your argument that Ironsi took over from them is built on nothing and turns logic on its head.
A civilian government is defined not by the personalities in power but by the offices set up by the constitution. Ironsi met the constitution intact, and by extension met the government offices intact and was therefore advised by the civilians to follow what the intact constitution recommend by way of swearing in Dipcharima so that the coup plotters would be punished for treasonable felony. But he declined and decided to subvert the constitution.

2. However, neither you nor your brothers have been able to answer the question as to what exactly Ironsi therefore meant when in his May 24 national broadcast declared that:
i. the former regions have now become groups of provinces.
ii. the country ceased to be what is called a federation but had become just "Republic of Nigeria".
iii. every well meaning citizen agreed that the main impediment to national progress was regionalism and all its vestiges must be rooted out of the system.
Moreover, if Ironsi did not kill the regions, why did Gowon find it necessary to issue his own Decree 56 which restored them with their full autonomy for 11 months?
3. If only you know what the term "primarily' connotes in the context you would not have been in your delusional discovery of a contradiction. Please consult your dictionary and read with comprehension skills.
I claim that the Core North (Not just the North). So don't misquote me.
4.Why have you consistently been dodging the question about why four years later NCNC decided to join forces with the supposedly untrustworthy AG towards fostering the UPGA alliance to the point that Michael Okpara had to on behalf of Zik visit Ibadan to mend fences with an "untrustworthy" party whole leader was serving a jail term slammed on him by a ruling coalition in which NCNC was part and parcel of? Doesn't it sound absurd to common sense? You termed a party as untrustworthy yet you later went seeking that party's friendship. Then what are you yourself?
The fact that it was the same NCNC that later dumped the UPGA alliance for an offer in the NNA brought to power by brazen rigging lays it bare that Zik and NCNC were the merchants of treachery.
Above all, attaching Zik's preference for the NPC-NCNC alliance to the phantom Awolowo double deal does not make sense if one recalls that even before independence Zik had through several utterances made it clear that he was ready to sacrifice anything to keep the North in Nigeria at his own personal cost and at the risk of the entire South. The situation after the 1959 election was such that the North's condition for remaining in Nigeria was to be given political power to which Zik obliged in his quest to hold the North back. How this Awolowo double deal theory later came through backdoor to rationalize that blunder of Zik after it had boomeranged is what remains a puzzle.
Awolowo's phantom double play had not occurred when Zik declared in the 40s that he was ready to pay the ultimate price to keep Nigeria intact, and even later gave a long speech warning those Northerners asking for secession earlier on and promising them political concessions from the South if they changed their minds.

6. My claim that "The NCNC had become an Igbo party at that moment" is totally different from you own suggestion which puts me as saying that "The NCNC became an Igbo party at independence"
I don't want to believe you don't know the function of 'had' in that sentence I made.
And in any case the presence of non-Igbo members in NCNC did not strip it of its Igbo-centric outlook any more than the presence of non-Hausa-Fulani members in NPC strip NPC of its Hausa-Fulani focused outlook. Recall that Zik had shifted NCNC's base to the East. How did a nationalist party have its base shifted from the federal capital to a regional one?

7. I have taken my time all this while to study that thread you referenced and discovered you have no point.
The map shown there is a purely trade based demarcation of territories which illustrates Richard Akinjide's recent exposition that Nigeria's Protectorates started purely as British trade entities and not ethnicity based political administrative units. The straight line boundary at the Eastern axis is a testimonial to this as it was hardly possible for yet uncolonized African tribes to have maintained a perfectly straight line boundary with one another in their settlement patterns.
The straight line boundary in question falls on latitude 7.3°N beneath which a lot of the present Kogi East towns and Benue towns native to Igbos and Tivs fall. Examples are Idah, Ajaka, Onyedega, Adoru, Okpo, Orukpa, Otukpa, Orokam, Angba, Otukpo, Oju, Igumale, Koniya, Vande Ikiya, Adikpo, Kashimbila, Utonkon, etc.
Your own quoted map has revealed you as the liar here and boxed you to a dead end.
However, the real ethnicity based boundaries which came into being when Protectorates assumed administrative forms is what you see below and you can see the whole of present Kogi East and the entire current Benue State in the Southern Protectorate. This image is taken from page 39 of Macmillan Atlas authored by seasoned academics of Geography and history under the editorial guidance of others like Dr. Frederick O.A. Dada (Hons) Geography ABU, MSc Glasgow and PhD UI, together with Garba Musa Jibrin and Dr. Adane Ijeoma. I guess you also call them liars.
You may get a copy from your nearest bookshop to cure your ignorance.
The 1939 Bouillon Constitution did not create regions but territories which only became re-created regions amidst gerrymandering in 1951 and then accorded autonomous powers same year. The change from territories to regions involved serious nationwide consultations. Why couldn't Zik use the opportunity to speak up against the gerrymandering as the leader of the East? Rather, in his one Nigeria delusion, he was far away in Ibadan thwarting Awolowo's irredentist efforts targeted at Yorubas native to the current Kwara and Kogi.

If my arguments were redundant you would not have bothered replying.[/s]

Rubbish
Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by Deadlytruth(m): 2:08pm On Apr 04, 2018
Strikethem:
What I hate is why ironsi change our regional system to unitary. Probably to favour his eastern region, thinking they will dominate.

You are right.
The federalism we were practising back then was a genuine one like that of the US whereby it would take 10 years residency for a non-native to qualify for certain privileges which his host region was offering to her natives. For the fact that Igbos were the most scattered tribe in other regions it meant true federalism of the regional system would deny them such privileges in other people's land for at least 10 years hence they hated federalism and regional system with a passion and did all they could to dismantle it.

1 Like

Re: Nnamdi Azikiwe Pointing To The Site Of University Of Nigeria Nsukka In 1950s by NimrodEndOfDays(m): 12:55pm On Oct 25, 2019
Wondering how I got to this place. By the way,the first UNIVERSITY in Nigeria still remains UNN. Wonder why some people want to bend the rules.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sen. Natasha Akpoti Commissions 800 Street Lights On Roads in Kogi Central(pics) / APC Woos Edo Voters With Akara, PDP Reacts (Photo) / Buhari And Ambode Commission Edo University (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.