Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back (61254 Views)

How I Got My NAFDAC Number(my Personal Experience) / I Just Got My Inheritance; I Need Your Advice / Allen Onyema Indicted For Bank Fraud And Money Laundering In America (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by jeron1(m): 9:36pm On Apr 01, 2018
Xmen149:
i have heard that transactions made over pos are not traceable (according to banks). the latest now is they kidnap someone and use their atm card to do transfere via pos and thats all,.

is this traceable pls i have alot of friends who are victims but their banks let them down and they allowed the case fly

Every transaction is traceable... Just the back room staffs at the IT dept will trace it. If they dont, report to CBN...
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Nobody: 9:37pm On Apr 01, 2018
vickzie:
what if the money had been withdrawn before the op made the complaint?

Hmmm...

You must have read the story from the end to the beginning.

9 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by frizzy092(m): 9:38pm On Apr 01, 2018
Festy4u:

Lastly, I called them from the bank and told. Them that was the last time I was going to talk to them in the issue that I will get a lawyer, told the Lady that picked the call to tell the management about my development, I actually got a lawyer but before the lawyer could write, I received my money back on Thursday hot afternoon via an alert...

Wow, @OP,...your story truly appeals to me cos I suffered similar faith in April, 2015 when about N600,000.00 was debited from my account. I was stunned! But I took a different approach as I involved the police and got info on how the money was transferred to Union bank. I got the phone number off the account and search for it on Whatsapp and found out that the user as been dormant for some while. I keep on checking until one day, after about a month or two, the guy finally appeared with an update on its Whatsapp page. I later found out that he was in one of the eastern state as the transfer supposed same. He later put picture id on its wall. I took the pic off his wall. He continually does change his profile pic until a time he gave an update of going back home to a SW state, which happens to be a state that his more easy to track people. I quickly put a girl on him so as to befriend him and get to monitor his move. I contacted some police on phone and sent them his pic and told them that I have put a girl on him. The girl chatted with him for a while and he later fell in love with her. I told her to convinced him that he wanted them to meet up of which he agreed and he later arranged a place of meeting. I told the police and they got mobilised and moved to the point of their intended meeting. The girl was talking with him on the phone and informing him of her arrival at the spot unknowing to him that it was the police officers that were at the spot. Only for him to appear at the spot dressed accordingly the way he told her he was dressed and was apprehended by the police. I had to travel to the SW state to pick him up and brought him down to the SS. We later settled after he was thoroughly beaten by the police. I have retrieved my money off the agreement we had. The remainder of money left should be the once I spent in mobilising the police and other expenses spent. It wasn't a good experience I must confess!!!

Who this one dy give format?

4 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by 1wolex85: 9:38pm On Apr 01, 2018
You just exposed the email address of the cbn staff

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by madridguy(m): 9:39pm On Apr 01, 2018
Very insightful.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by ThatKING(m): 9:40pm On Apr 01, 2018
Emmybreezy:
please I need to talk to you about this I was been scammed on Friday of #49k please your guideline will be needed to get my money back from this fraudulent act...I have been having sleepless night just because of this my number is 08168974454
how did it happened
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by lexyman(m): 9:40pm On Apr 01, 2018
nice one OP....

I had one funny experience too .... but i have learnt that , never you take it easy with them even if you are at fault , they re there to serve you , not to dictate for you what their policies are .

sometimes last year , i erroneously transferred some fund into a wrong account ... immediately i called the bank and informed them of my error, i gave instruction instantly to hold the money ... while i contacted the owner of the account to avoid stories that touch... i called the owner of the account ,but i couldn't reach him for about two days , after several tries , he spoke with me and we both agreed that we will go to the bank together to get the fund .... funny enough we went to his bank to write an instruction for them to inform my bank that we have contacted them ,after this unfruitful move . i wrote to my bank to lift the hold on the account cos they informed me that its illegal to take money from customers account unauthorised , which i agreed with them ... i then wrote an instruction to release the money to the beneficiary , that he was aware of the error and he is willing to get the fund to me , cos that is the shortest means among the options i am been left with . all these back and forth stories has taken 3 weeks already , cos the guy is a very busy guy ... he is a transporter , he moves interstate ....out of their incompetency , they told me that since its an online transaction, that the only way i can resolve the problem is to go online make calls , and it will be sorted . i went online made several calls that lasted for more than 5hrs in estimate for different days . yes 5hrs ! cos i have to call them at different occasions and sometime , thy will put me on hold to , ask all sort of security questions for them to be sure they re speaking to the rightful owner of the account .also informed me that the process for lifting "hold on fund " takes maximum of 48hrs .... i dont have a choice than to wait. but as i mede those calls , i noticed that different people pick the calls at every given time , but i became so acquainted to names of some of the customers service personnel , i made a list of their names and surnames , during this period i was getting frustrated and ready to do anything to get back my money ....
"anything means legal action " THE MAGIC the last call that i made , that brought out the money from the fish mouth .... i told the guy that picked that i have some of his colleague names with me , that i will go to the social media and list their names as some of the incompetent staffs of the bank , also that i will include his name. after the call, and that i am going to give him 48hrs to resolve the problem . after 24HRS they call the beneficiary also , lift the hold on his account and he was able to have access to the fund ... he called me immediately to inform me of the development ...

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by madridguy(m): 9:41pm On Apr 01, 2018
He has not done any harm to the CBN staff. She is a public servant and moreover that is her office mail and not personal email address.

1wolex85:
You just exposed the email address of the cbn staff
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Emmybreezy(m): 9:42pm On Apr 01, 2018
jeron1:

The money was transferred by them
please give me your advice I'm a recent victim of this just Friday here of 49k should I get a lawyer before going on Tuesday..?
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by eleojo23: 9:44pm On Apr 01, 2018
Emmybreezy:
please give me your advice I'm a recent victim of this just Friday here of 49k should I get a lawyer before going on Tuesday..?

How did it happen if I may ask?
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by aieromon(m): 9:44pm On Apr 01, 2018
Can someone kindly explain how an outsider can assess someones funds using BVN and account number

4 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by maxjax(m): 9:45pm On Apr 01, 2018
kindredspirit:
It's still a headscratcher to me how thieves can steal money from someone's account using just their BVN. Is the BVN now a password or PIN that is used to complete mobile transfers or USSD transactions ?

The only transaction that one can execute without a PIN, as far as I know, is buying airtime on THE NUMBER REGISTERED on your bank account. For example GTB : *737*1000# will credit you straight away with #1000 worth of airtime on your number that is tied to your Bank account. To even buy airtime for 2nd party phone numbers, you will be required to type in your 4-digit PIN to complete the transaction.

it baffles me too....those NLer that knows all bout it are yet to repent from their evil act, hence they won't let us know in details
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Kylekent59: 9:46pm On Apr 01, 2018
We all need to be security conscious.

You will never see a banker installing mobile app on on his/her phone.

But they convince customers to install mobile apps on their phones and they know the risk of mobile app.

If you have a mobile app installed on your phone and your phone eventually got stolen,just 4get. Your account would be wiped.

This was how they wiped my uncles account. All just they need are your bvn and sim card and the deed is done.

The best advise is to block mobile app,block online access (quick teller), block atm. Let them permit you with only withdrawer slip.

Most of us do online business, but if at all you wanna do it just have like 2 accounts.

Let the first be as I have explained above and the second account should be minimum. Like depositing not more than 20k. With this you could do your online business/buying stuff with atm.

And most especially, don't carry your alert sim all the time. Keep it at home. Buy other sim and use.

There are some people that would save their mobile app details on their phones,so whenever they open their app every thing will just pop out. This is mostly how all those victims account got wiped.

Hope this helps.

7 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Papertrail11(m): 9:46pm On Apr 01, 2018
i blame sanusi for this bvn bla bla never saw the need for it he should have just made a lowkey complusory kyc but hey aboki

2 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Emmybreezy(m): 9:49pm On Apr 01, 2018
eleojo23:

How did it happen if I may ask?
they transferd from my account to someone else who's name is on my phone..I called the bank and they said it through *737# they used in performing the transction and I told them immediately to help me block the person account the lady that picks says you can't access the other party account which it was also a Gtb account.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Awoleesu(m): 9:51pm On Apr 01, 2018
OP, like your account don enter debit before the refund... See your grand balance less than CR Amount!
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Jethrolite(m): 9:51pm On Apr 01, 2018
jeron1:

3. I wrote a petition/Complain to the "Banking Supervision Department" and "Customer Protection Department" of Central bank of Nigeria, Lagos Branch. The office is at the 11th floor of the building. Most of the workers don't know, some told me 8th floor, some said 5th floor. I had to walk that building up and down more than 6times that day before I could get the right office cos the access cards for the floors are different and I have to come down to take new access card for the
Lawyers always work wonders but Nigerians always want to play smart and not pay the N10-N20k to get a chamber to issue a petition.

2014 I was trying to get a license for payment processing I was directed to 2 different departments on 2 different floors. I'm amazed at how people in that place do not know themselves it the departments in that building. The frustrating part is having to come back to the reception on that their high speed lift, pass through that crowd control gate, sign out and back in again to get a different key then pass through the crowd gate, use the elevator to the new floor and be told the previous floor was the correct one and the floor I'm in has nothing to do with the license I want.

2 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by damosade(m): 9:51pm On Apr 01, 2018
Nobody I repeat nobody can use your bvn to transfer money from your account, most of the fraud that takes place used to be negligence from the part of the account holder, if someone has your bvn.. Noting will happen to your fund. But don't ever release your pin to anyone,fraudsters send messages about your bvn issues, never answer them. Keep your phone always and your SIM.

3 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by 1wolex85: 9:52pm On Apr 01, 2018
madridguy:
He has not done any harm to the CBN staff. She is a public servant and moreover that is her office mail and not personal email address.

Lol, have you heard about spamming and phishing? With your argument, they should simply publish the email addresses of all their staff.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by madridguy(m): 9:58pm On Apr 01, 2018
So if I may ask you, what connection did her email address has to do with spamming and phishing? Cooperate and government organization always have their staff email address display on their website.

To me nothing is wrong about this.

1wolex85:

Lol, have you heard about spamming and phishing? With your argument, they should simply publish the email addresses of all their staff.

3 Likes

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by cliqtips: 9:59pm On Apr 01, 2018
nice one
jeron1:
Dec 16th, 2017. A day I can NEVER forget hurriedly in my life. Got to shoprite Surulere, bought something's and made payment via POS. I didn't get SMS transaction Alert as my phone was stolen two days before.

Drove down to Lawanson (same place my phone was stolen) to make some transaction and found out that some money was missing from my account, . I immediately went beside my car, told my coworkers with me about the info, asked d amount and I calculated and gave them d figure, Three Hundred and Ninety Nine thousand, Four hundred and sixty Naira was missing (399,460).

I called my bank through the Number written on the back of the ATM card and they verified the transaction, I was a Victim of Sim card BVN fraud, first ever of Its kind in Nigeria .

Then I told them to Freeze the account with immediate effect.

I realise many people had also one time or the other gone through this kind of experience but they never got their money back as they didn't know the process to take on how to get their money back from Fraud that occurred on their account either via ATM, Online or any other platform

Here is what I did to get my money back as I it was a transaction I didn't authorised

1. I didn't keep quiet, I told a lot of people about the update. I wasn't ashame, I even posted on my timeline on Facebook. I wasn't looking for pity but to notify people about the new fraud in town and also seek for advice. I knew 90% of people won't even care as they will even laugh but that 10% of people that cared will give me solution and truly it worked.
One of the guys I told gave me the option that started the solution and that option was to write a letter to Central Bank of Nigeria, Lagos office

2. I immediately sent a mail to my bank, telling them about the debit that occurred on my account and it wasn't from me. The bank replied telling me they will investigate, I had to put a lot of pressure on them because these bank people can be very funny, they will tell you they are working on it but that's a lie

3. I wrote a petition/Complain to the "Banking Supervision Department" and "Customer Protection Department" of Central bank of Nigeria, Lagos Branch. The office is at the 11th floor of the building. Most of the workers don't know, some told me 8th floor, some said 5th floor. I had to walk that building up and down more than 6times that day before I could get the right office cos the access cards for the floors are different and I have to come down to take new access card for the different floor

Ps- make sure a copy with you is acknowledged, also provide your Email address and Phone number on the letter as they will reach you through the platform provided and tell you to negotiate with your bank and if no progress after 30 working days then write them again via the e-mail they used in communicating with you. I will provide screen shot of the mail they sent but I am trying as much as possible not to mention the bank. I never knew many Organisation in Nigeria work if I had not gone through it.

I was actually told at CBN that it will take time but I will surely get my money back that the CBN mandated banks to known your Customer (KYC) so since the money was transferred to Access bank then Access bank need to produce their customer

4. I wrote an official letter also to my branch bank Manager, informing him about the fraud on the account and telling him how it has really affected me. I Also made sure that a copy of the letter was acknowledged.

I knew it wasn't going to be an easy fight as the bank would want to put the blame on me but I was ready for them.

I was always sending them mail, calls via the telephones at any bank branch. I gave them heat and after 30 working days I sent a mail back to CBN telling them the bank is frustrating me and they are yet to refund my money and I didn't want to go to court because the matter was before the APEX bank. I didn't receive any reply from them

I went to a branch and also shouted and told them I want to see the branch manager which I saw her and also made my complain and she decided to also send a mail to the fraud unit.

Sorry to say, I received a call from the fraud unit after I wrote a petition to CBN and CBN queried them telling me how my money was transferred and giving me the account number and bank the money was transferred to, they also gave me the address of the person that owns the account but I refused to follow up as I told them that wasn't my work that they should do it.

Lastly, I called them from the bank and told. Them that was the last time I was going to talk to them in the issue that I will get a lawyer, told the Lady that picked the call to tell the management about my development, I actually got a lawyer but before the lawyer could write, I received my money back on Thursday hot afternoon via an alert...
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Nobody: 10:03pm On Apr 01, 2018
mixter:
Maybe one of the many ways to curb this is for banks to integrate their systems so as to allow finger prints or eye sensors as passwords as a means of making any form of transactions from phones, ATM systems or any form of transaction. Just a thought. If only we have a working government, the public should be enlightened .
Just a thought.

Trust me, this is not even a way out.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by jeron1(m): 10:03pm On Apr 01, 2018
Emmybreezy:

Follow my procedure.

Dont get a lawyer. Just write ur bank and also write the CBN
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Kylekent59: 10:05pm On Apr 01, 2018
All these fraudsters, perpetrators, annhilators, criminals, thieves, devils, imposters and manevolent beings are on rampage and highly rifed. They shall never know peace all their life.

I know a guy who does this before,but now the guy is very poor.

I believe those victims might have cursed him and he cannot escape nemesis.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by ijaw1stson: 10:06pm On Apr 01, 2018
Izabel:
How To Earn ₦500 Free Airtime Or More Everyday Using Opera Mini
am interested oo
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by abidex0z(m): 10:08pm On Apr 01, 2018
Izabel:
How To Earn ₦500 Free Airtime Or More Everyday Using Opera Mini
how does it work?
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Tedpgrass: 10:12pm On Apr 01, 2018
jeron1:
Dec 16th, 2017. A day I can NEVER forget hurriedly in my life. Got to shoprite Surulere, bought something's and made payment via POS. I didn't get SMS transaction Alert as my phone was stolen two days before.

Drove down to Lawanson (same place my phone was stolen) to make some transaction and found out that some money was missing from my account, . I immediately went beside my car, told my coworkers with me about the info, asked d amount and I calculated and gave them d figure, Three Hundred and Ninety Nine thousand, Four hundred and sixty Naira was missing (399,460).

I called my bank through the Number written on the back of the ATM card and they verified the transaction, I was a Victim of Sim card BVN fraud, first ever of Its kind in Nigeria .

Then I told them to Freeze the account with immediate effect.

I realise many people had also one time or the other gone through this kind of experience but they never got their money back as they didn't know the process to take on how to get their money back from Fraud that occurred on their account either via ATM, Online or any other platform

Here is what I did to get my money back as I it was a transaction I didn't authorised

1. I didn't keep quiet, I told a lot of people about the update. I wasn't ashame, I even posted on my timeline on Facebook. I wasn't looking for pity but to notify people about the new fraud in town and also seek for advice. I knew 90% of people won't even care as they will even laugh but that 10% of people that cared will give me solution and truly it worked.
One of the guys I told gave me the option that started the solution and that option was to write a letter to Central Bank of Nigeria, Lagos office

2. I immediately sent a mail to my bank, telling them about the debit that occurred on my account and it wasn't from me. The bank replied telling me they will investigate, I had to put a lot of pressure on them because these bank people can be very funny, they will tell you they are working on it but that's a lie

3. I wrote a petition/Complain to the "Banking Supervision Department" and "Customer Protection Department" of Central bank of Nigeria, Lagos Branch. The office is at the 11th floor of the building. Most of the workers don't know, some told me 8th floor, some said 5th floor. I had to walk that building up and down more than 6times that day before I could get the right office cos the access cards for the floors are different and I have to come down to take new access card for the different floor

Ps- make sure a copy with you is acknowledged, also provide your Email address and Phone number on the letter as they will reach you through the platform provided and tell you to negotiate with your bank and if no progress after 30 working days then write them again via the e-mail they used in communicating with you. I will provide screen shot of the mail they sent but I am trying as much as possible not to mention the bank. I never knew many Organisation in Nigeria work if I had not gone through it.

I was actually told at CBN that it will take time but I will surely get my money back that the CBN mandated banks to known your Customer (KYC) so since the money was transferred to Access bank then Access bank need to produce their customer

4. I wrote an official letter also to my branch bank Manager, informing him about the fraud on the account and telling him how it has really affected me. I Also made sure that a copy of the letter was acknowledged.

I knew it wasn't going to be an easy fight as the bank would want to put the blame on me but I was ready for them.

I was always sending them mail, calls via the telephones at any bank branch. I gave them heat and after 30 working days I sent a mail back to CBN telling them the bank is frustrating me and they are yet to refund my money and I didn't want to go to court because the matter was before the APEX bank. I didn't receive any reply from them

I went to a branch and also shouted and told them I want to see the branch manager which I saw her and also made my complain and she decided to also send a mail to the fraud unit.

Sorry to say, I received a call from the fraud unit after I wrote a petition to CBN and CBN queried them telling me how my money was transferred and giving me the account number and bank the money was transferred to, they also gave me the address of the person that owns the account but I refused to follow up as I told them that wasn't my work that they should do it.

Useful tips

Thanks op!!

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by ayoyonet(m): 10:12pm On Apr 01, 2018
You try
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by ACE1010: 10:15pm On Apr 01, 2018
Men!!! I salute your courage.....persistence pays. Thanks God that CBN stood by you! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by qeemus: 10:16pm On Apr 01, 2018
aieromon:
Can someone kindly explain how an outsider can assess someones funds using BVN and account number
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/01/extract-bank-details-stolen-phones-withdraw-money-suspects/
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by Nobody: 10:18pm On Apr 01, 2018
Tinyemeka:

Uhmmm... True to an extent.

Some recipients may also be aware that something fishy has transpired in the transaction that resulted in an inflow to their account, but would still play along because of expectations of gratification. Not all are innocent.

P.S. The Access bank recipient is a female. undecided

Evil knows no gender.
Re: Bank Fraud!!! What I Did And How I Got My Money Back by LivingBetter: 10:21pm On Apr 01, 2018
it was when one Bank deducted money from me fraudulently and i wrote to them and copied cdc of CBN, That was when i knew that banks are liable to so many transactions we customers take for granted no matter how litttle the amount is. since then not one dime has been unlawfully withdrawn. OP well done for this noble fight to get back what was yours.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Bolu Akin-Olugbade's Rolls Royce Used For Decoration At His Service Of Songs / Opening A Pharmacy / Latest Update from Dangote Refinery, Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos (Photos and Videos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.