Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,480 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" (15412 Views)

Jimmy Odukoya, Tolu Odukoya-Ijogun Installed As Church Leaders / Bishop Emmanuel Oko-Jaja: Kissing The Bride In Church During Wedding Is Unholy / Tithing Is Not Compulsory - D.K Olukoya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by SAMBARRY: 11:26am On Apr 08, 2018
lastmaster:
Nice one.My babe no let me hear word because of church wedding.
all for show off and bella naija.mshewwwee
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by myk2mic: 11:40am On Apr 08, 2018
lexy2014:
u have just corroborated my point. What "presence" does a "Man of God" carry that u don't carry? U are trying 2 say without d "Man of Gods" presence ti bless u, then u aren't blessed. I don't no were that is in d bible. Am not saying u shouldn't want certain things but u are making ur blessing 4 ur life&marriage a function of what a pastor does or doesn't do 4u. That's y I said u need 2 read ur Bible to no ur authority

Bros ,abeg free the sheeple na pple like her dey make daddy freeze get right to mock xtians. She has been been a Christian bt does not know the power or authority she carries as a child a God.

1 Like

Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by MissSlimbody(f): 11:48am On Apr 08, 2018
It is not even biblical.

1 Like

Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by EverGlorious(m): 12:01pm On Apr 08, 2018
How ignorant people are. And it's dangerous because the don't know but think they do. It's better you don't know and know you don't. But then again this can also be turned around against the speaker and it becomes a your-word-against-mine thing. Well you don't have to believe me but if you're Christian you should put this into consideration.

The traditional marriages we speak of in the Bible were all Jewish rite marriages. Now this is were the confusion is, the Jews were Jewish by culture and by religion. The religion - Judaism and the culture went hand in hand, they were one. That's why it's hard to notice. We on the other hand are Igbos, Yorubas, Hausas, etc. as our culture and Christians by religion. And as we all know, these two are far apart. Most of the Igbo practices does not correlate our Christian faith and practices.

If you are Christian, you should know that you are Christian first before you are Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, etc. Your Christianity supercedes your culture. This does not say you should throw away your culture to the gutter or not observe your traditional practices, NO, but anything that contradicts or does not correlate to Christianity should be indeed thrown away or avoided. The Jewish don't have a problem with this because theirs go hand in hand.

Why am I saying all this What's the damn point I'm trying to make Now this is it - as Christians we have obligation to have a Christian marriage if you're going to get married. This does not in any way throw away our traditional marriages to the gutter in fact it is necessary, for the families to come together 'formally', do the dowry ceremony and agree/consent to giving their children out.

But the Christian marriage is of paramount importance. If you're Catholic, lemme ask you this - do it make sense or rather is it right for you to receive holy communion without receiving the sacrament of first holy communion? Let that answer be between you and God. Now in the same light, it is NOT right to marry without the sacrament of holy matrimony. Same for other churches, it isn't right to get married without bringing God's blessings to it through your pastors. No one is saying you can't bless your self and your spouse but there's a reason Mary and Joseph brought Jesus to the temple to be presented to God rather than staying at home and presenting Jesus from there.

Well this is my conclusion, most people that are against christian marriage don't want to be bound by it's rules/obligations for example prohibition of use of contraceptives, divorce, etc. And yes even though people that have done the christian marriage still break some or most of these rules but it's good that you're on the right track and fall as much times as possible but get up than on the wrong.

Nb: Christian marriage is not wedding reception.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by domainOfficial: 12:16pm On Apr 08, 2018
wakabobo:
A Nigerian Photographer has expressed her views on church wedding, in her words

"Church wedding is not compulsory ooo. It's fine if you do it if you love the glamour and the whole experience of a church wedding. It is not a sin to do church wedding. In fact, it is an opportunity to have your brother's and sisters in church celebrate a great day in your life.

Now, it is also not a sin to not do church wedding. It was not commanded by God. No Apostle mentioned it. Jesus did not recommended it. It's just one of those things the church decided to start doing.
It means that if you do not like the drama around Church weddings, you may opt out. If you do not have the financial strength, you may drop it. Don't make life harder on yourself.

That established, the bible fully acknowledges a marriage between a man and his wife in the presence of family, friends and well wishers. The pastor may be invited to join them and pray for them. Also, the marriage needs to be registered at the Registry with the government and that's all to give it legal backing.

Don't kill yourself over what God did not send you. Do what you can do and move on. What the Bible disapproves is cohabitation and sexual relations outside marriage."

What do you guys think?

http://wakabobo.com/church-wedding-is-not-compulsory-nigerian-photographer-adekuoroye-tolu-speaks/

wooh u spoke mind.... We need to return Africa to Africans
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 12:52pm On Apr 08, 2018
lexy2014:
am not reading too much into it. U can't do all things alone neither can u attribute to someone authority over ur life&destiny when u also have that same authority. That's my point. D same gift u say d man of God has, u also have. What are u, aren't u a woman of God? U&ur pastor are both products of redemption with d same access&gifts. D problem is that he is more conscious of that fact but u arent

There’s nothing absolutely wrong with wanting a man of God preside my wedding if the groom even wants to be that man of God why not my point is it will start with God
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 12:53pm On Apr 08, 2018
SAMBARRY:
oga you are the first prophet of your life.before anyone prays for you pray for yourself,before anyone lays hands on you lay hand on yourself and lay hand on your wife .you have spiritual and physical authority over your wife.all this my pastor said men sef.smh

My dear it is well on your own day carry microphone
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by brightlinse(m): 1:02pm On Apr 08, 2018
[quote author=Fianze93 post=66529810]

Bro, you are not sure of what u just typed... I don't blame you too for thinking that, because that is probably what you have been made to believe.

The Anglicans in Nigeria(the one I'm sure of) don't record tithes. The church doesn't know who pays and who doesn't pay.

What she records is Stewardship, and it is a free will cash paid to your parish, that identifies you to be a member.

NB: A lot of people think this stewardship is actually tithe, because they are actually collected same time during church service. The Sunday Matins conductor announces them same time and two collection boxes are dropped one is for tithe(which the priest will usually advice you to do, but not compel u) and the other Stewardhip(which is recorded, and considered important, but must be a free will contribution and not one tenth)

Pls do well to ask your priest questions or attend Friday classes if you are an Anglican so you can ask the Elders of your parish. As an Anglican do well to attend the Friday classes, that is where the church traditions, 39 Articles of Anglican Faith and Anglicanisn are taught and questions on important issues discussed for the growth of the church.

Thank u

Bro, i am also Anglican church member. In my place in Anambra state they have convert the stewardship, into tithe. shocked
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Fianze93(m): 1:16pm On Apr 08, 2018
[quote author=brightlinse post=66532045][/quote]

Then u should confront your priest, ask him questions, or through the Council of laity Chanel ur grievances to the next Diocesan Synod. Cos if what you said is true, then your parish priest is in error, and needs to be called to order.

If it's Nnewi Diocese, you'll be welcomed to Oraifite 2018 Synod.
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by jnrremedy(m): 1:22pm On Apr 08, 2018
EverGlorious:
How ignorant people are. And it's dangerous because the don't know but think they do. It's better you don't know and know you don't. But then again this can also be turned around against the speaker and it becomes a your-word-against-mine thing. Well you don't have to believe me but if you're Christian you should put this into consideration.

The traditional marriages we speak of in the Bible were all Jewish rite marriages. Now this is were the confusion is, the Jews were Jewish by culture and by religion. The religion - Judaism and the culture went hand in hand, they were one. That's why it's hard to notice. We on the other hand are Igbos, Yorubas, Hausas, etc. as our culture and Christians by religion. And as we all know, these two are far apart. Most of the Igbo practices does not correlate our Christian faith and practices.

If you are Christian, you should know that you are Christian first before you are Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, etc. Your Christianity supercedes your culture. This does not say you should throw away your culture to the gutter or not observe your traditional practices, NO, but anything that contradicts or does not correlate to Christianity should be indeed thrown away or avoided. The Jewish don't have a problem with this because theirs go hand in hand.

Why am I saying all this What's the damn point I'm trying to make Now this is it - as Christians we have obligation to have a Christian marriage if you're going to get married. This does not in any way throw away our traditional marriages to the gutter in fact it is necessary, for the families to come together 'formally', do the dowry ceremony and agree/consent to giving their children out.

But the Christian marriage is of paramount importance. If you're Catholic, lemme ask you this - do it make sense or rather is it right for you to receive holy communion without receiving the sacrament of first holy communion? Let that answer be between you and God. Now in the same light, it is NOT right to marry without the sacrament of holy matrimony. Same for other churches, it isn't right to get married without bringing God's blessings to it through your pastors. No one is saying you can't bless your self and your spouse but there's a reason Mary and Joseph brought Jesus to the temple to be presented to God rather than staying at home and presenting Jesus from there.

Well this is my conclusion, most people that are against christian marriage don't want to be bound by it's rules/obligations for example prohibition of use of contraceptives, divorce, etc. And yes even though people that have done the christian marriage still break some or most of these rules but good that you're on the right track and fall as much times as possible but get up than on the wrong.

Nb: Christian marriage is not wedding reception.
Oga there is nothing like christian marriage what u are calling christian marriage is a cultural/societal form of marriage popularised when the church was the only authority ( during the dark ages when the romans adopted christanity) so nobody can aunthenticate a marriage except the church
Nowhere in the bible was marriage done in d synagogue or church prophets or Jesus deciples not even Jesus christ was recorded to preside over any marriage
What u call christian wedding is more or less a societal/ cultural type of wedding popularised by the church it has nothing to do with christainity
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Maamin(m): 1:39pm On Apr 08, 2018
I had always knew that white/church wedding is a sham grin
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by toniacan(f): 2:24pm On Apr 08, 2018
He is so on point, though the Catholic church forbids those who aren't wedded from receiving communion. A priest once said that those not wedded in church are committing fornication .
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by kingchris30(m): 2:28pm On Apr 08, 2018
personally I think is waste of money and women are the cause of it. most men do it just to please their wives. women are the ones that encourage it and makes it expensive
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by lawman88(m): 2:29pm On Apr 08, 2018
SolutionsGuy:
Not only that it is not compulsory, it is in fact USELESS. It is copied, a duplication and a function of inferiority complex.
We have traditional marriage recognised by God, the law and even the bible. All marriages the bible made reference to are traditional weddings. Then some folks came and said we must wear suits and some useless gowns to the church before God approves our marriages. What a dumb thing.

You are right. I married from catholic church and did court wedding.. They stopped my wife from taking holy communion and told her to persuade me to do church wedding or else she not take communion forever.church wedding is a waste of resources
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Xmen149(m): 2:29pm On Apr 08, 2018
i knew wey long ago.

said it,i either do trad marriage then we go to registry.

or trad. then church with no reception(bc i will accept it as GOD blessing the marriage cos i have already done the main one he approved).

anything that will look like reception is my immediate family and my wife's immediate family having dinner later in the evening.

Nigerians should keep their plate and N50 in envelope reception gift and save me the expenses abeg.

if you have congratulatory gift send it over after wedding or visit with it so i entertain you in my house or fvck off
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by DavidEsq(m): 3:01pm On Apr 08, 2018
lexy2014:
there will b still b family members who weren't killed due to bombings.
Doz are different from parents na. U focused on parent like say d no dey die ni
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by DavidEsq(m): 3:03pm On Apr 08, 2018
jnrremedy:

Oga there is nothing like christian marriage what u are calling christian marriage is a cultural/societal form of marriage popularised when the church was the only authority ( during the dark ages when the romans adopted christanity) so nobody can aunthenticate a marriage except the church
Nowhere in the bible was marriage done in d synagogue or church prophets or Jesus deciples not even Jesus christ was recorded to preside over any marriage
What u call christian wedding is more or less a societal/ cultural type of wedding popularised by the church it has nothing to do with christainity
Don't mind the misled and blind dondonmigo
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Rozaytee: 3:17pm On Apr 08, 2018
abeg I will do traditional,court and white wedding biko....
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by lexy2014: 3:24pm On Apr 08, 2018
DavidEsq:

Doz are different from parents na. U focused on parent like say d no dey die ni
d post u responded to was my first interaction with u on d matter.
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by lexy2014: 3:25pm On Apr 08, 2018
toniacan:
He is so on point, though the Catholic church forbids those who aren't wedded from receiving communion. A priest once said that those not wedded in church are committing fornication .
let him show where it is in d Bible
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by lexy2014: 3:34pm On Apr 08, 2018
solasoulmusic:

There’s nothing absolutely wrong with wanting a man of God preside my wedding if the groom even wants to be that man of God why not my point is it will start with God
I didn't say there's something wrong in a pastor presiding over ur wedding. Am saying a pastor presiding over ur wedding is no guarantee that u will have a good or successful marriage. Its not d criteria 4u 2b blessed. Am trying 2 correct d impression that u and many church people have that until u marry in church or a pastor marries u, u haven't done wedding. U don't need a pastor b4 u start anything with God. That's y I asked u, aren't u a woman of God? Is ur husband 2b not a man of God? don't u have d same access to God as d pastor? So if a pastor doesn't pray 4u on ur wedding day, u haven't started with God? Is God not in u?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by SAMBARRY: 3:35pm On Apr 08, 2018
solasoulmusic:

My dear it is well on your own day carry microphone
take your own advice and stop calling me your dear.I am not dear to YOU.use words when appropriate.it makes you sound like a creep undecided
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by lexy2014: 3:37pm On Apr 08, 2018
Rozaytee:
abeg I will do traditional,court and white wedding biko....
I no
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 4:11pm On Apr 08, 2018
absolutley unecessary, just a waste or resources.
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 4:14pm On Apr 08, 2018
SAMBARRY:
take your own advice and stop calling me your dear.I am not dear to YOU.use words when appropriate.it makes you sound like a creep undecided
lol okay the normal can’t make your point without insults I say it when I don’t give two
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 4:16pm On Apr 08, 2018
lexy2014:
I didn't say there's something wrong in a pastor presiding over ur wedding. Am saying a pastor presiding over ur wedding is no guarantee that u will have a good or successful marriage. Its not d criteria 4u 2b blessed. Am trying 2 correct d impression that u and many church people have that until u marry in church or a pastor marries u, u haven't done wedding. U don't need a pastor b4 u start anything with God. That's y I asked u, aren't u a woman of God? Is ur husband 2b not a man of God? don't u have d same access to God as d pastor? So if a pastor doesn't pray 4u on ur wedding day, u haven't started with God? Is God not in u?
thats your opinion please respect mine I am a child of God and I can’t be bullied out of my own preference your not the one I’ll marry your dislike for one having their way is a reflection of bitterness. The foundation will be on God but I see nothing wrong with having a mentor or pastor say special prayers I don’t think you can sit where you are and judge what you think should go on in another’s marriage focus on yours I’ll stick to mine

Made in his image is very different from assuming your a demi God
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by SAMBARRY: 4:30pm On Apr 08, 2018
solasoulmusic:
lol okay the normal can’t make your point without insults I say it when I don’t give two
I am not insulting YOU,I am correcting you so that YOU don't send the wrong message.always say what you mean undecided
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by ImaIma1(f): 4:31pm On Apr 08, 2018
A lot of people do court and go to the pastor's office if the want prayers to crown it up. Court and traditional is just fine.

My pastor said reception isn't a must. If you want to do church service, do take away packs and give after the service.
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 5:28pm On Apr 08, 2018
SAMBARRY:
I am not insulting YOU,I am correcting you so that YOU don't send the wrong message.always say what you mean undecided

You called me a creep When I said dear didn’t mean it literally to imply something creepy I used it in another context master correcter we hail
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by barristerzinny(f): 5:36pm On Apr 08, 2018
wakabobo:
A Nigerian Photographer has expressed her views on church wedding, in her words

"Church wedding is not compulsory ooo. It's fine if you do it if you love the glamour and the whole experience of a church wedding. It is not a sin to do church wedding. In fact, it is an opportunity to have your brother's and sisters in church celebrate a great day in your life.

Now, it is also not a sin to not do church wedding. It was not commanded by God. No Apostle mentioned it. Jesus did not recommended it. It's just one of those things the church decided to start doing.
It means that if you do not like the drama around Church weddings, you may opt out. If you do not have the financial strength, you may drop it. Don't make life harder on yourself.

That established, the bible fully acknowledges a marriage between a man and his wife in the presence of family, friends and well wishers. The pastor may be invited to join them and pray for them. Also, the marriage needs to be registered at the Registry with the government and that's all to give it legal backing.

Don't kill yourself over what God did not send you. Do what you can do and move on. What the Bible disapproves is cohabitation and sexual relations outside marriage."

What do you guys think?

http://wakabobo.com/church-wedding-is-not-compulsory-nigerian-photographer-adekuoroye-tolu-speaks/

I so much agree with him, my plan is to have a trad/registry wedding only
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 5:37pm On Apr 08, 2018
Sorry o. As a Catholic there is no other way to get married than in the Church.

If you like, do 100 wine carrying, go to all the courts in your country to collect marriage certificates, cohabit for a million years together, if you are a baptised Catholic and you didn't get married in the Church, you are not married in the sight of God.

Marriage is a Sacrament. One of the 7 sacraments of the Church.

The Church doesn't care for elaborate weddings. All the Church needs are two witnesses, the best man and the chief bridesmaid and two sponsors who must also be baptised Catholics.

Finish!

If you follow that, then that means 6 people attending your Catholic wedding including you and your spouse. Shikena!

Within 30minites the ceremony is done.

Oh BTW, if you do Catholic wedding you don't need to go to court because the certificate you'll be given by the Catholic Church is recognized by the law of the land. This is true in all countries.
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by lexy2014: 7:23pm On Apr 08, 2018
solasoulmusic:
thats your opinion please respect mine I am a child of God and I can’t be bullied out of my own preference your not the one I’ll marry your dislike for one having their way is a reflection of bitterness. The foundation will be on God but I see nothing wrong with having a mentor or pastor say special prayers I don’t think you can sit where you are and judge what you think should go on in another’s marriage focus on yours I’ll stick to mine

Made in his image is very different from assuming your a demi God
hahahahahaha...u very funny. I understand how u feel. Its sentiments and when u view things thru sentimental lenses, u c enemies in those who correct u. What sentiments does 2u is that it makes u attack d messenger instead of d message. All I have shared with u are scriptural and a call 2u 2 take advantage of d benefits of redemption and not leave it 2 any individual 2 deliver it 2u. Just as a pastor has access 2 God so do u. I don't how this admonition amounts 2 judging u. I didn't dispute with u if u are a child of god or not cos on more than one occasion I even called u a woman of God. But cos u are looking @ d issue emotionally, u didn't seem 2 notice that i called u a woman of God. Let me reiterate that there's nothing wrong in a pastor praying 4u but there's everything wrong in having d mindset that if d pastor doesn't pray 4u, it won't b well with u. Ur blessing as a Christian isn't tied 2 any man, b they pastors or "man of God" but 2d cross. What makes d prayer of ur pastor "special" or more special than yours? Isn't d same access both of u have?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? / Why Does God Allow Satan To Influence Mankind? / Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.