Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,197 members, 7,818,656 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" (15416 Views)

Jimmy Odukoya, Tolu Odukoya-Ijogun Installed As Church Leaders / Bishop Emmanuel Oko-Jaja: Kissing The Bride In Church During Wedding Is Unholy / Tithing Is Not Compulsory - D.K Olukoya (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by bionixs: 7:59pm On Apr 08, 2018
xreal:

also my view.
Don't worry, after u do yours the flamboyant style...ur reasoning go change.

hahahaha
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Evang007: 8:42pm On Apr 08, 2018
The marriage that took place in the bible in John 2 was a Jewish marriage not a Christian marriage. What the bible emphasis was the paying of bride price. Church wedding is not compulsory it is optional. If you don't have much money for ceremonies go to the family of your woman pay her bride price receive her family blessing and continue with your life. What the bible clearly teaches is sanctity before marriage. Hebrew 4:13.
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by ariesbull: 9:26pm On Apr 08, 2018
darlingnuel:
Marriage certificates are also issued at Marriage registry (aka court wedding)

Which is the most important thing
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by TheUpsetGirl(m): 2:35am On Apr 09, 2018
zicoraads:

Yes. It's even Biblical tongue

who Bible help
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 8:38am On Apr 09, 2018
lexy2014:
hahahahahaha...u very funny. I understand how u feel. Its sentiments and when u view things thru sentimental lenses, u c enemies in those who correct u. What sentiments does 2u is that it makes u attack d messenger instead of d message. All I have shared with u are scriptural and a call 2u 2 take advantage of d benefits of redemption and not leave it 2 any individual 2 deliver it 2u. Just as a pastor has access 2 God so do u. I don't how this admonition amounts 2 judging u. I didn't dispute with u if u are a child of god or not cos on more than one occasion I even called u a woman of God. But cos u are looking @ d issue emotionally, u didn't seem 2 notice that i called u a woman of God. Let me reiterate that there's nothing wrong in a pastor praying 4u but there's everything wrong in having d mindset that if d pastor doesn't pray 4u, it won't b well with u. Ur blessing as a Christian isn't tied 2 any man, b they pastors or "man of God" but 2d cross. What makes d prayer of ur pastor "special" or more special than yours? Isn't d same access both of u have?

First if all you can see that your post is way longer than mine so the topic is something that has been weighting on your mind but I’ve put my opinion and left it at that what I do should not affect what you do on your day fam that’s all

I said mentor or pastor I respect and have admiration for can pray and also observe things on that day Gan Gan end of story

It’s not about sentiment there’s an opinion and there’s trying to devalue mine
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by PrimadonnaO(f): 9:36am On Apr 09, 2018
zicoraads:
Definitely, it isn't. The only reason I will do one is because of my wife and parents. If not, it would have been from traditional to reception. She'll wear a gown, I'll wear a suit. We'll dance, eat and off we go grin

So, your own grouse is just going to church. undecided
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by PrimadonnaO(f): 9:46am On Apr 09, 2018
EverGlorious:
How ignorant people are. And it's dangerous because the don't know but think they do. It's better you don't know and know you don't. But then again this can also be turned around against the speaker and it becomes a your-word-against-mine thing. Well you don't have to believe me but if you're Christian you should put this into consideration.

The traditional marriages we speak of in the Bible were all Jewish rite marriages. Now this is were the confusion is, the Jews were Jewish by culture and by religion. The religion - Judaism and the culture went hand in hand, they were one. That's why it's hard to notice. We on the other hand are Igbos, Yorubas, Hausas, etc. as our culture and Christians by religion. And as we all know, these two are far apart. Most of the Igbo practices does not correlate our Christian faith and practices.

If you are Christian, you should know that you are Christian first before you are Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, etc. Your Christianity supercedes your culture. This does not say you should throw away your culture to the gutter or not observe your traditional practices, NO, but anything that contradicts or does not correlate to Christianity should be indeed thrown away or avoided. The Jewish don't have a problem with this because theirs go hand in hand.

Why am I saying all this What's the damn point I'm trying to make Now this is it - as Christians we have obligation to have a Christian marriage if you're going to get married. This does not in any way throw away our traditional marriages to the gutter in fact it is necessary, for the families to come together 'formally', do the dowry ceremony and agree/consent to giving their children out.

But the Christian marriage is of paramount importance. If you're Catholic, lemme ask you this - do it make sense or rather is it right for you to receive holy communion without receiving the sacrament of first holy communion? Let that answer be between you and God. Now in the same light, it is NOT right to marry without the sacrament of holy matrimony. Same for other churches, it isn't right to get married without bringing God's blessings to it through your pastors. No one is saying you can't bless your self and your spouse but there's a reason Mary and Joseph brought Jesus to the temple to be presented to God rather than staying at home and presenting Jesus from there.

Well this is my conclusion, most people that are against christian marriage don't want to be bound by it's rules/obligations for example prohibition of use of contraceptives, divorce, etc. And yes even though people that have done the christian marriage still break some or most of these rules but it's good that you're on the right track and fall as much times as possible but get up than on the wrong.

Nb: Christian marriage is not wedding reception.

You're a Catholic. I'm a Christian. But is it a big deal if the pastor comes to the trad venue to bless the marriage? Must all the white gown and train and what not be done before a pastor blesses a union?
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by SAMBARRY: 10:55am On Apr 09, 2018
solasoulmusic:

You called me a creep When I said dear didn’t mean it literally to imply something creepy I used it in another context master correcter we hail
yes because it's only a creep that will use endearing or sexually suggestive words on people he doesn't know or is affiliated with.that's how creeps behave
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by zicoraads: 11:08am On Apr 09, 2018
PrimadonnaO:

So, your own grouse is just going to church. undecided
My own grouse is the entire process. It has become unnecessarily difficult and long. Left to me, the trad should just be dowry paying and one or two formalities. That should take one hour only. Then the bride and the groom move to the reception venue (preferably a park or garden). They stand in front of the pastor who reads their vows and reminds them of what marriage is about. Then reception commences immediately. The second part shouldn't take more than two hours.

If the trad is in the village, the reception and joining should be the next day. No long processes. No plenty talk and formalities.

Then off we go to the Bahamas or Cancun grin cheesy
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by PrimadonnaO(f): 11:17am On Apr 09, 2018
zicoraads:

My own grouse is the entire process. It has become unnecessarily difficult and long. Left to me, the trad should just be dowry paying and one or two formalities. That should take one hour only. Then the bride and the groom move to the reception venue (preferably a park or garden). They stand in front of the pastor who reads their vows and reminds them of what marriage is about. Then reception commences immediately. The second part shouldn't take more than two hours.

If the trad is in the village, the reception and joining should be the next day. No long processes. No plenty talk and formalities.

Then off we go to the Bahamas or Cancun grin cheesy

Lol. Awesome! I might want to try it this way. I'm not all for all the hectic modalities that come with church wedding...and tedious traditional rites. I'll probably go ahead and have just trad and registry. Luckily, my paternal family don't have stress. Trad will be snappy when the time comes.
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 11:26am On Apr 09, 2018
SAMBARRY:
yes because it's only a creep that will use endearing or sexually suggestive words on people he doesn't know or is affiliated with.that's how creeps behave
It well well in Nigeria that’s that o the rest of the world its Not moving on your bitter
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by SAMBARRY: 12:53pm On Apr 09, 2018
solasoulmusic:
It well well in Nigeria that’s that o the rest of the world its Not moving on your bitter
what kind of grammar are you speaking? undecided

Are you ok? And please don't quote me.if you Cannot type coherently
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by UbiPetrus: 4:28pm On Apr 09, 2018
EverGlorious:
How ignorant people are. And it's dangerous because the don't know but think they do. It's better you don't know and know you don't. But then again this can also be turned around against the speaker and it becomes a your-word-against-mine thing. Well you don't have to believe me but if you're Christian you should put this into consideration.

The traditional marriages we speak of in the Bible were all Jewish rite marriages. Now this is were the confusion is, the Jews were Jewish by culture and by religion. The religion - Judaism and the culture went hand in hand, they were one. That's why it's hard to notice. We on the other hand are Igbos, Yorubas, Hausas, etc. as our culture and Christians by religion. And as we all know, these two are far apart. Most of the Igbo practices does not correlate our Christian faith and practices.

If you are Christian, you should know that you are Christian first before you are Igbo, Yoruba, Hausa, etc. Your Christianity supercedes your culture. This does not say you should throw away your culture to the gutter or not observe your traditional practices, NO, but anything that contradicts or does not correlate to Christianity should be indeed thrown away or avoided. The Jewish don't have a problem with this because theirs go hand in hand.

Why am I saying all this What's the damn point I'm trying to make Now this is it - as Christians we have obligation to have a Christian marriage if you're going to get married. This does not in any way throw away our traditional marriages to the gutter in fact it is necessary, for the families to come together 'formally', do the dowry ceremony and agree/consent to giving their children out.

But the Christian marriage is of paramount importance. If you're Catholic, lemme ask you this - do it make sense or rather is it right for you to receive holy communion without receiving the sacrament of first holy communion? Let that answer be between you and God. Now in the same light, it is NOT right to marry without the sacrament of holy matrimony. Same for other churches, it isn't right to get married without bringing God's blessings to it through your pastors. No one is saying you can't bless your self and your spouse but there's a reason Mary and Joseph brought Jesus to the temple to be presented to God rather than staying at home and presenting Jesus from there.

Well this is my conclusion, most people that are against christian marriage don't want to be bound by it's rules/obligations for example prohibition of use of contraceptives, divorce, etc. And yes even though people that have done the christian marriage still break some or most of these rules but it's good that you're on the right track and fall as much times as possible but get up than on the wrong.

Nb: Christian marriage is not wedding reception.
I read through a whole lot of comments and my poor heart was on the verge of breaking apart until I stumbled upon yours.
Thank you very much.
I do not know you but permit me to say "I love you." "God bless you."

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by lexy2014: 5:18pm On Apr 09, 2018
solasoulmusic:

First if all you can see that your post is way longer than mine so the topic is something that has been weighting on your mind but I’ve put my opinion and left it at that what I do should not affect what you do on your day fam that’s all

I said mentor or pastor I respect and have admiration for can pray and also observe things on that day Gan Gan end of story

It’s not about sentiment there’s an opinion and there’s trying to devalue mine
let me itemise my points 4u. Am sure it will help u get clarity
1. U are a woman of God just as ur pastor is a man of God
2. U are a product of redemption just like ur pastor.
3. There's nothing wrong in ur pastor or mentor praying 4u or doing anything 4u
4. There's everything wrong in expecting that without ur pastor's prayers 4u, u aren't blessed.
5. What is "special prayer"?what makes ur pastors prayers 4u more special than prayers u pray 4 urself?
6. John 14:12 isn't just 4 pastors, its also 4u

D length of my write up isn't d issue. It could cover d distance from KD 2 abuja. That's y I said u getting emotional, where u now attack d messenger &not address d message.cheers
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by EverGlorious(m): 5:42pm On Apr 09, 2018
PrimadonnaO:

You're a Catholic. I'm a Christian. But is it a big deal if the pastor comes to the trad venue to bless the marriage? Must all the white gown and train and what not be done before a pastor blesses a union?

FYI, all Catholics are Christians. Do not deceive or let any one deceive you. This is another misconception but that's a chapter for another day.

To answer your question though if you've read more thoroughly, you needn't ask. The traditional marriage and the christian marriage CANNOT be combined. We are not Jews where their culture and religion sync. We have christian marriage rites that must be done in a church or chapel. That is the christian custom.

1 Like

Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 8:54pm On Apr 09, 2018
lexy2014:
let me itemise my points 4u. Am sure it will help u get clarity
1. U are a woman of God just as ur pastor is a man of God
2. U are a product of redemption just like ur pastor.
3. There's nothing wrong in ur pastor or mentor praying 4u or doing anything 4u
4. There's everything wrong in expecting that without ur pastor's prayers 4u, u aren't blessed.
5. What is "special prayer"?what makes ur pastors prayers 4u more special than prayers u pray 4 urself?
6. John 14:12 isn't just 4 pastors, its also 4u

D length of my write up isn't d issue. It could cover d distance from KD 2 abuja. That's y I said u getting emotional, where u now attack d messenger &not address d message.cheers

Oga your the one assuming for me lol you have found additional points but at the end the day it’s my choice
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 9:04pm On Apr 09, 2018
SAMBARRY:
what kind of grammar are you speaking? undecided

Are you ok? And please don't quote me.if you Cannot type coherently

You quoted before I made changes when my battery is low my phone goes haywire anyway well done can I humbly exit the thread now

1 Like

Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by lexy2014: 9:19pm On Apr 09, 2018
solasoulmusic:

Oga your the one assuming for me lol you have found additional points but at the end the day it’s my choice
madam, can u pls point out d additional points I added&d assumptions made?
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 11:00pm On Apr 09, 2018
lexy2014:
madam, can u pls point out d additional points I added&d assumptions made?
Everything you typed is an assumption that I felt I couldn’t do it myself and if a pastor doesn’t then my marriage won’t be blessed all that is an assumption and your opinion
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by lexy2014: 11:49pm On Apr 09, 2018
solasoulmusic:
Everything you typed is an assumption that I felt I couldn’t do it myself and if a pastor doesn’t then my marriage won’t be blessed all that is an assumption and your opinion
OK...what of d additional points u said I found?

These are ur words:
"The foundation will be on God but I see nothing wrong with having a mentor or pastor say special prayers"

Pls what is special prayer?
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 12:02am On Apr 10, 2018
lexy2014:
OK...what of d additional points u said I found?

These are ur words:
"The foundation will be on God but I see nothing wrong with having a mentor or pastor say special prayers"

Pls what is special prayer?

When you ask parents to bless a union at traditional wedding is it because the bride and groom can’t do it themselves I really don’t understand why your arguing for arguing sake
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by lexy2014: 12:07am On Apr 10, 2018
solasoulmusic:

When you ask parents to bless a union at traditional wedding is it because the bride and groom can’t do it themselves I really don’t understand why your arguing for arguing sake
so if parents don't bless a union what will happen 2 it?

U still haven't told me d additional points u said I found.
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 12:47am On Apr 10, 2018
lexy2014:

Oga are you not tired you’ve been pursuing this argument since morning o

I was referring to the fact again it was a long post based on an assumption
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by lexy2014: 5:11am On Apr 10, 2018
solasoulmusic:

Oga are you not tired you’ve been pursuing this argument since morning o

I was referring to the fact again it was a long post based on an assumption
madam,if u say its an assumption, y are u finding it difficult answering simple questions?
tnx 4d concern about me being tired. don't worry.
lexy2014:

Or can't u defend ur "assumption" theory?
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 9:58am On Apr 10, 2018
lexy2014:
madam,if u say its an assumption, y are u finding it difficult answering simple questions?
tnx 4d concern about me being tired. don't worry.
Or can't u defend ur "assumption" theory?

Good morning It’s tradition right ...I have a point as well and it’s that all you have assumed everything you typed since I posted the first reply to this thread
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by lexy2014: 2:31pm On Apr 10, 2018
solasoulmusic:

Good morning It’s tradition right ...I have a point as well and it’s that all you have assumed everything you typed since I posted the first reply to this thread
greetings 2u. U just going round d same circle. Just answer d questions I asked. Its d key 2 opening d door which will show who is assuming & who isn't. But u stalling.

lexy2014:

Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 2:55pm On Apr 10, 2018
lexy2014:
greetings 2u. U just going round d same circle. Just answer d questions I asked. Its d key 2 opening d door which will show who is assuming & who isn't. But u stalling.

Greetings to you too sir Good Afternoon I have said everything
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by lexy2014: 5:30pm On Apr 10, 2018
solasoulmusic:

Greetings to you too sir Good Afternoon I have said everything
how u?i didn't say u haven't said everything. I only asked a question & made a request. Is that too much 2 ask or are u scared of what ur responses might reveal
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 10, 2018
lexy2014:
how u?i didn't say u haven't said everything. I only asked a question & made a request. Is that too much 2 ask or are u scared of what ur responses might reveal
I’m fine thank you and you? But I said that all you said was an assumption. Just like how parents pray for the married couple at their engagement ceremony is how a bride can be prayed for by her pastor it doesn’t mean without it the marriage will crash it just a good omen towards it.

If my husband objects then he won’t
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by lexy2014: 7:11pm On Apr 10, 2018
solasoulmusic:
I’m fine thank you and you? But I said that all you said was an assumption. Just like how parents pray for the married couple at their engagement ceremony is how a bride can be prayed for by her pastor it doesn’t mean without it the marriage will crash it just a good omen towards it.

If my husband objects then he won’t
i de kampe.this is my question& my request that I have been recycling but which u have been avoiding.
lexy2014:

4 someone accusing me of assumption, I thought d question&request are simple and straight forward. Is there any ambiguity in d question or request?
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by Nobody: 7:22pm On Apr 10, 2018
lexy2014:
this is my question& my request that I have been recycling but which u have been avoiding.
4 someone accusing me of assumption, I thought d question&request are simple and straight forward. Is there any ambiguity in d question or request?
It’s a tradition of the intending families right then why can I have things I want on my day why must you preach otherwise
Re: Adekuoroye Tolu: "Church Wedding Is Not Compulsory" by lexy2014: 8:56pm On Apr 10, 2018
solasoulmusic:

It’s a tradition of the intending families right then why can I have things I want on my day why must you preach otherwise
1. if u had answered d question I asked, am sure we would have been on same page. But u seriously avoiding it. Why? What are u scared of?
2. If u could point out my "assumptions" & d additional points u said I found in all my write up i'ld b glad.
3. Am not preaching 2u. Am discussing with u. I guess this is one of d sources of d confusion

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Is Wrong With A Guy Plaiting His Hair Or With Locks? / Stop It! No One Spoke In Unknown Tongues In The Bible! / David Oyedepo Celebrates His 64th Birthday Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.