Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,551 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:08 AM

Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! - Health (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! (36075 Views)

Re: Strike - "JOHESU Is Selfish,they Dont Know What They Want" Must Read / JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy / Federal Health Workers Under The Umbrella Of JOHESU Embark On Indefinite Trike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by damilton(m): 10:51pm On Apr 18, 2018
OgaInnocent:
I was prompted to script this piece when I read yesterday from the comment of certain moniker here called amarabae, that the problem the Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU) put themselves is being orchestrated by the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA /Doctors) .
#(screenshot below) #

Inasmuch as the veracity of such claim by such an anonymous online user remains inconsequential, I still wish to educate the unsuspecting public on certain things of paramount and topical significance.

Before I continue, I thought it worthwhile to introduce myself, so that you take cognizance of my biases, if any. I am NOT a medical doctor, at least for now, thus, suffer not yourself in trying to tag this as "espirit des corps" game.

Now, it is no longer news that JoHESu is on strike for reasons bordering on salary and hospital hierarchy.
The news is here:
... https://www.nairaland.com/4456282/federal-health-workers-under-umbrella/3#66805229

ON SALARY:

I wouldn't comment on that because that is the business of the the govt. But let it be on record that if someone should complain of salary, it is the doctors. Nigerian Doctors cannot talk in the presence of their colleagues practicing abroad. They are the most underpaid persons with relation to the value offered. You can imagine the amount Canadian doctors are paid that made them to protest last time. An average consultant doctor in canada receives about 500,000 (about 180 million naira) dollars yearly. A consultant in nigeria is struggling with 10million naira yearly. Hence the reason 90% of Nigerian doctors are jetting out of the country, with many on the way out also. Even the few that are staying, are doing so, due to some supplementation coming from private practice. Otherwise, with the rate at which other countries are ready to issue visa to doctors, Nigeria may soon run out of doctors.
The truth is everyone needs a salary increase because cost of goods have increased, starting from teachers. However, the issue of salary still remains their business with the govt, but note that if your salary is increased to that of a doctor, the doctors will seek their own increase. It is natural to act that way.

ON HOSPITAL HIERARCHY

I heard they want to be given consultant nurse, consultant physiotherapist, consultant Med Lab Scientist etc.

People need to understand something. The hospital is structured in such a way that every treatment /instruction must be directed from the Consultant Physician or Consultant Surgeon. No patient receives anything in the hospital unless the doctor says so. The reason is not far-fetched. It is in the best interest of the patient, so that he/she is not malhandled. Imagine when we introduce a consultant nurse, a doctor will give his own instructions and the nurse will also like to execute his own consultancy expertise by giving his own instructions, at the end, the patient, is at the receiving end. The practice is that the doctor is and must be the head of the patient management team.

Most nurses are clamoring for consultancy because of the knowledge they acquire by virtue of working in hospital for years. They feel they can now challenge the doctor.

I will give an analogy: In Catholic church, we have the parish priest, we have the catechist. By virtue of working at the alter for about 10years, the catechist can comfortably celebrate the mass. Infact he can even celebrate more than the priest if given opportunity. He can also be more prayerful than the priest. But no matter the condition, the catechist can never celebrate mass or be equated to the priest simply because he can do what the priest can do if given the opportunity. There is formal way of becoming a priest, and it is open to everyone, thus, if the catechist wishes to be celebrating mass, he should simply enroll into the seminary, and boom, he becomes a priest. That is the formality.

Nurse vs Nurse Dichotomy

There are two types of nurses, we have those that attended school of nursing(Registered Nurse. RN). we also have those that are studying nursing in university (B. Sc). The truth is that the BSc holders are paid far higher than the RN holders. Why is it so? In terms of work, I need not tell you that, the RN holders are the ones that do the major suffering in the hospital, and JOHESu will not harmonize their salaries so that all nurses are paid parallel amount. But they want to be paid what doctors (mbbs) are paid. That's hypocrisy.

Medical Laboratory Scientists vs Medical Laboratory Technology

The way Medical lab scientist (Bsc) discriminate against the Med lab technologist (HND) is another case study. You and I know that those polytechnic guys are more practical oriented and cannot be equated with university counterparts. But yet, the Bsc holders still lord it over the HND holders. They claim superiority over them, and yet want equality with doctors. Another hypocrisy.

Med Lab Scientist vs Microbiologist.

I happened to study microbiology in my first degree. As a microbiologist, you cannot have a lab on your own. You must work under a med lab Scientist. Even when the knowledge base is the same among the two disciplines.

Last time on Facebook I saw some graduates of med lab from ABSU hanging stethoscope on their neck, calling themselves diagnostic doctors. Thats so laughable. And that has been the delusion that has been making them think they are equal with doctors. That you can see bacteria in urine in the lab does not make you diagnose a patient of infection. A doctor makes 95% of the diagnosis from history and physical examination, just right in the consultation room. The lab tests are to confirm diagnosis and also check for the other systems that the patient may not be complaining of. Also every med lab Scientist works under a Consultant Chemical pathologist, consultant micro biologist, consultant Histopathologist, or Consultant hematologist as the case may be.

The Way OUT

The truth is that, there should not be the need for all these fracas if everyone remains to his job description and prescription. There is already a job description for doctors, nurses, med lab Scientists etc. If you are not comfortable with the job you do, you can switch and follow the formality laid out for that profession. There shouldn't be need for being a nurse and wanting to do the job of a doctor, or being a doctor and wanting to do the job of a nurse.
A doctor needs a nurse, a nurse needs a doctor, a med lab Scientist needs a doctor and vice versa.

In addition to that, every job has a salary scale, most times the salary does not justify the work they do, but only justifies the time and process it took to get there. The people that take the highest salaries in Nigeria are the people that do nothing. They only go to offices to enjoy the AC and go home at the end of the day. When the month ends, they collect millions. Its unfortunate society has made it that way. Let us have a rethink, and be human. Everyone needs salary increase, starting from teachers to doctors to JOHESU (except our senators ***winks***). The problem is getting it right at the electoral polls.

sscripturas@gmail.com

@ogainnocent.
Johesu is not selfish and if you are to be realistic and say the truth; when you were talking about salary, you equate Canadian doctors to Nigerian doctors but i was expecting you to do the same on hierachy level but i got disappointed that you could not do that. Why is it that when it comes to salary issues nigerian doctors easily equate themself to other countries but when its about hierachy they dont but they want to practise standard settings like other countries. Recently, was a Nurse not appointed as 'Surgeon general' in US?. can such happens here?
JOHESU is not selfish but NMA is

4 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by isah80: 10:53pm On Apr 18, 2018
TheDoc:
The best solution to this recurrent JOHESU/NMA/NARD strikes is privatisation, let everybody earn proportionately to the services he offers.

I like what you said, let government privatize the hospitals and things will be right.

PCN can never allow you to open a pharmacy outlet with your certificate if you are working for the government, let it be done to all health workers.

One certificate for one job at a time.
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Jedi777(m): 10:55pm On Apr 18, 2018
JoannaSedley:

I barfed when I read your post. I am a graduate nurse like the lady you quoted and I attended anatomy, physiology, clinical chemistry, biochemistry, microbiology lectures with students of medicine, pharmacy, Med lab etc uptill 300 level.
I don't know the kind of muchroom backwater school you graduated from, where you, as a doctor cannot string together a readable sentence in English. So I'd like to remind you that next time when you argue with people, you'd better get your facts right.
If it took you eight years to graduate from medical school then you must be very dull, medicine is a six year course.
Go get ur glasses nd read properly,he included residency in his statement
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Glitzcaret: 10:59pm On Apr 18, 2018
naijaking1:

Big ignoramus, when you get your Pharm. D, come maybe I give you 1 year residency to become a clinical pharmacist. Then, and only then I can equate you to my second year surgical resident.
I year residency!!!!! Lolz....keep confirming your stupity
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Jedi777(m): 11:04pm On Apr 18, 2018
teflondoncuzo:
Who ever write this Piece of thrash is a very big fool
And u re of course a bigger fool
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by tohpahz(f): 11:05pm On Apr 18, 2018
Op doesn't even have sense.. He just wants to talk
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Glitzcaret: 11:05pm On Apr 18, 2018
naijaking1:

They can't because they have none. I used to belong to national association of med lab scientists and instead of trying to improve their chosen profession, somehow all they see is try to become doctors when they had no JAMB score to get into medical school
What planet are you.... You full of hate and bitterness...
They many nigerian med lab scientist excelling in their glorious career.
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Timothy3113(m): 11:06pm On Apr 18, 2018
OgaInnocent:
I was prompted to script this piece when I read yesterday from the comment of certain moniker here called amarabae, that the problem the Joint Health Sector Union (JOHESU) put themselves is being orchestrated by the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA /Doctors) .
#(screenshot below) #

Inasmuch as the veracity of such claim by such an anonymous online user remains inconsequential, I still wish to educate the unsuspecting public on certain things of paramount and topical significance.

Before I continue, I thought it worthwhile to introduce myself, so that you take cognizance of my biases, if any. I am NOT a medical doctor, at least for now, thus, suffer not yourself in trying to tag this as "espirit des corps" game.

Now, it is no longer news that JoHESu is on strike for reasons bordering on salary and hospital hierarchy.
The news is here:
... https://www.nairaland.com/4456282/federal-health-workers-under-umbrella/3#66805229

ON SALARY:

I wouldn't comment on that because that is the business of the the govt. But let it be on record that if someone should complain of salary, it is the doctors. Nigerian Doctors cannot talk in the presence of their colleagues practicing abroad. They are the most underpaid persons with relation to the value offered. You can imagine the amount Canadian doctors are paid that made them to protest last time. An average consultant doctor in canada receives about 500,000 (about 180 million naira) dollars yearly. A consultant in nigeria is struggling with 10million naira yearly. Hence the reason 90% of Nigerian doctors are jetting out of the country, with many on the way out also. Even the few that are staying, are doing so, due to some supplementation coming from private practice. Otherwise, with the rate at which other countries are ready to issue visa to doctors, Nigeria may soon run out of doctors.
The truth is everyone needs a salary increase because cost of goods have increased, starting from teachers. However, the issue of salary still remains their business with the govt, but note that if your salary is increased to that of a doctor, the doctors will seek their own increase. It is natural to act that way.

ON HOSPITAL HIERARCHY

I heard they want to be given consultant nurse, consultant physiotherapist, consultant Med Lab Scientist etc.

People need to understand something. The hospital is structured in such a way that every treatment /instruction must be directed from the Consultant Physician or Consultant Surgeon. No patient receives anything in the hospital unless the doctor says so. The reason is not far-fetched. It is in the best interest of the patient, so that he/she is not malhandled. Imagine when we introduce a consultant nurse, a doctor will give his own instructions and the nurse will also like to execute his own consultancy expertise by giving his own instructions, at the end, the patient, is at the receiving end. The practice is that the doctor is and must be the head of the patient management team.

Most nurses are clamoring for consultancy because of the knowledge they acquire by virtue of working in hospital for years. They feel they can now challenge the doctor.

I will give an analogy: In Catholic church, we have the parish priest, we have the catechist. By virtue of working at the alter for about 10years, the catechist can comfortably celebrate the mass. Infact he can even celebrate more than the priest if given opportunity. He can also be more prayerful than the priest. But no matter the condition, the catechist can never celebrate mass or be equated to the priest simply because he can do what the priest can do if given the opportunity. There is formal way of becoming a priest, and it is open to everyone, thus, if the catechist wishes to be celebrating mass, he should simply enroll into the seminary, and boom, he becomes a priest. That is the formality.

Nurse vs Nurse Dichotomy

There are two types of nurses, we have those that attended school of nursing(Registered Nurse. RN). we also have those that are studying nursing in university (B. Sc). The truth is that the BSc holders are paid far higher than the RN holders. Why is it so? In terms of work, I need not tell you that, the RN holders are the ones that do the major suffering in the hospital, and JOHESu will not harmonize their salaries so that all nurses are paid parallel amount. But they want to be paid what doctors (mbbs) are paid. That's hypocrisy.

The way Medical lab scientist (Bsc) discriminate against the Med lab technologist (HND) is another case study. You and I know that those polytechnic guys are more practical oriented and cannot be equated with university counterparts. But yet, the Bsc holders still lord it over the HND holders. They claim superiority over them, and yet want equality with doctors. Another hypocrisy.

I happened to study microbiology in my first degree. As a microbiologist, you cannot have a lab on your own. You must work under a med lab Scientist. Even when the knowledge base is the same among the two disciplines.

Last time on Facebook I saw some graduates of med lab from ABSU hanging stethoscope on their neck, calling themselves diagnostic doctors. Thats so laughable. And that has been the delusion that has been making them think they are equal with doctors. That you can see bacteria in urine in the lab does not make you diagnose a patient of infection. A doctor makes 95% of the diagnosis from history and physical examination, just right in the consultation room. The lab tests are to confirm diagnosis and also check for the other systems that the patient may not be complaining of. Also every med lab Scientist works under a Consultant Chemical pathologist, consultant micro biologist, consultant Histopathologist, or Consultant hematologist as the case may be.

The Way OUT

The truth is that, there should not be the need for all these fracas if everyone remains to his job description and prescription. There is already a job description for doctors, nurses, med lab Scientists etc. If you are not comfortable with the job you do, you can switch and follow the formality laid out for that profession. There shouldn't be need for being a nurse and wanting to do the job of a doctor, or being a doctor and wanting to do the job of a nurse.
A doctor needs a nurse, a nurse needs a doctor, a med lab Scientist needs a doctor and vice versa.

In addition to that, every job has a salary scale, most times the salary does not justify the work they do, but only justifies the time and process it took to get there. The people that take the highest salaries in Nigeria are the people that do nothing. They only go to offices to enjoy the AC and go home at the end of the day. When the month ends, they collect millions. Its unfortunate society has made it that way. Let us have a rethink, and be human. Everyone needs salary increase, starting from teachers to doctors to JOHESU (except our senators ***winks***). The problem is getting it right at the electoral polls.

sscripturas@gmail.com
.. Are you truely a medical practioner??

There is nothing like medical Laboratory Technology in polythecnics , but Science Laboratory Technology which has options in environmental biology, Microbiology, physics electronics, chemistry e.t.c. So no dictomy between SLT and Mls.

On the issue of microbiology and Mls, medical microbiology is a branch of Mls. We have his to pathology, haematology , Chemical pathology. MCB deals with food, soil Mcb.

On the issue of pay , as you said it depends on government but a body shouldn't bring o

2 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Nobody: 11:08pm On Apr 18, 2018
Acidosis:
Nigerian based doctors sha, always comparing yourselves with folks in US, Canada, etc.

Some graduates earn 30k in Nigeria in the name of Npower, shouldn't these category of graduates call for Buhari's head too, because obviously, college graduates in the US don't earn 30k.

The average Nigerian engineer is not on the same salary level with the average Engineer in California. The average Nigerian bank security worker is not on the same level with his counterparts in the developed world.

Do we always have to remind ourselves that Nigeria is a third world country? As far as you're in the hell unproductive hole, salaries must not be compared with what obtains in the developed country. You don't produce as much as they do, you don't work as much as they do, your politicians are as lazy as fck, you vote dum.b politicians, hence, you can't compare your salary with theirs.

As far as you selfish lots choose to remain in the hell unproductive hole where soldiers and policemen are dying protecting you for less than 80k/month, learn to compare your salary with the quota system zoo salary where selfishness rules, leave Canada people alone.

the same soldiers and policemen that the average nigerian is afraid of, that will kill u for 50 naira, leave that thrash for lawma

1 Like

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Nobody: 11:13pm On Apr 18, 2018
simtus50:
You have just exhibited professional nepotism. NMA should stop crying fowl simply because others are demanding for their rights. If they feel health sector is solely their property, now that others are on strike, let them render 24hours services to Nigerians. Let's respect each other.
we do that already oga, tell us something new
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Nobody: 11:17pm On Apr 18, 2018
sunroxus:
In all of these struggles I don't think is the duty one person to determine what the other takes - poor reason if you deserve something else come up with and not saying one shouldn't get what .
If I may ask who is the president of the world health organisation? Is he/she a doctor? If the and is no than the monopoly if health institution leadership is wrong and all the claim that a doctor must head places should challenge us as people
Thanks
the doctor is the leader of the healthcare team. Fact. who will take responsibility if something goes wrong with a patient, definitely not,JOHESU. who gets litigated, definitely not JOHESU.

You people want the benefits but are not prepared to take the risks that go with it
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by YorubaAssasin: 11:22pm On Apr 18, 2018
tohpahz:
Op doesn't even have sense.. He just wants to talk

You're so delusional.. You need an emergency procedure to ur infected brain indeed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by eleojo23: 11:24pm On Apr 18, 2018
funmisticqueen:
the doctor is the leader of the healthcare team. Fact. who will take responsibility if something goes wrong with a patient, definitely not,JOHESU. who gets litigated, definitely not JOHESU.

You people want the benefits but are not prepared to take the risks that go with it

Are you saying that other health professionals are not liable if anything goes wrong?

Really? Why do they swear oaths then?

You people are really ignorant o

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Rainmaker69(m): 11:29pm On Apr 18, 2018
OgaInnocent:

ON SALARY:

Actually, Government has no business fixing salaries... that's why we're here in the first place. Salaries ought to be determined by market forces. Any intervention by government will create an artificial imbalance in the system and result in the situation in which we find ourselves- everyone will want a fixed salary. What happens when there isn't a market to support the fixed salaries? Doctors, Lawyers, Accountants, and the list goes on.
Comparing Nigerian Doctors to Canadian Doctors is like comparing apples to oranges- its a false comparison because the systems are different. FYI, everyone is leaving- not only doctors.
I understand that there is some social intervention in the Health Sector, but the practitioners cannot operate outside the system. Lawyers, Engineers and everyone else is poorly paid, and Government is not responsible- the economy is. That's why Doctors must stop this nonsense of going on strike and toying with the lives of the ordinary Nigerian. After all, the people who make these ridiculous policies also fly to Canada for treatment by Canadian doctors.

1 Like

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by engrjacuzzi: 11:35pm On Apr 18, 2018
I wish Nigerian Society of Engineers will agitate the way JOHESU is doing rather, they are contented with level 9 for fresh graduate.
in this period of strike, many pregnant women are at the receiving end which is bad for a country.
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by eameh30: 11:39pm On Apr 18, 2018
It's actually very shameful for a thread so empty as this one to make front page. What is he even saying? He said alot of things without sense in it.
First of all, go and find out the meaning of a consultant coz its obvious you don't know what it means to be one.
You claim to know but your write up said it all that you know nothing. It's better you remain silent and be labeled a fo.ol than to open your mouth and clear a doubts.
NMA agitated for theirs, no body antagonize them, JOHESU are agitating for theirs and all of a sudden the NMA appeared from somewhere for something that doesn't affect them in any way. If JOHESU pay increases and NMA aren't comfortable with theirs, they should agitate as they have been doing before. Now that they don't want pay rise for others, does that add to their pockets?
I think NMA are just scared that the way things are going, they will become useless in d hospital and are so bent on making themselves useful meanwhile I'm pretty sure this can't last forever. Revolution is happening already and I pity people like you coz you will become non useful soon.
If a Doctor is a consultant and he does review on patient and wrote out a drug n d patient goes to a pharmacist and the pharmacist been a consultant is aware of everything that has to do with drugs both the SAR that the consultant Dr doesnt know about n he offer his advise that d drug isn't the best for the patient and d Dr hackens to the advise and change it, then who benefits? The patient.
I think you lack knowledge about what consultancy means. Infat the Dr can even ask d consultant pharmacist d best drug in dat patient before prescribing or do you mean to tell me that they know the drug more than the pharmacist? Coz I'm in d hospital now n even name of drugs are problem for you guyz let alone the MOA and d SAR which none of you can even guess.
Whether consultant or not, a Dr is a Dr, a Pharmacist is a Pharmacist, a Nurse is a Nurse etc we all have different job description but I don't know why you guys are so scared of the other profession, is it bcoz you have no where else to go to outside hospital?
Your fight started with pharm D n now the case has been won n pharm D is live in Nigeria. All is to benefit the patient. A consultant in any field will have better knowledge and all to the benefit of the patient. NMA should quit fighting and start checking the interest of the patient. They are fighting a lost battle, it might not happen now but it will surely happen

7 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Nobody: 11:41pm On Apr 18, 2018
OgaInnocent:
#(screenshot below) #

The news is here:

ON SALARY:

ON HOSPITAL HIERARCHY

Nurse vs Nurse Dichotomy

The Way OUT

sscripturas@gmail.com

""Nigerian Doctors cannot talk in the presence of their colleagues practicing abroad""

Travel abroad if u want.

This is Nigeria and u will only earn what is paid in Nigeria.

Most importantly, Nobody in Nigeria get enough pay so stop talking as if only doctors are under paid..........Doctors aren't more important than others professions.
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by tohpahz(f): 11:57pm On Apr 18, 2018
YorubaAssasin:

You're so delusional.. You need an emergency procedure to ur infected brain indeed.

I'm a woman of class.. Can't do this with you.. Not with your English.

2 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by AJCs(m): 11:59pm On Apr 18, 2018
OP got the write up from a member of their national body who is close to him/her and am pretty sure he/she must have brainwashed about the development very well.
I personally don't need to go through the write up as some of the issues that constitute the bone of contention aren't new to me.
OP, has CONMESS not been reviewed upwardly? Has skipping not been done in CONMESS? Etc. So, why NMA, who isn't an employer of labour to JOHESU going against her demands?
In respect of CMD in teaching hospitals, could OP tell me briefly or in detail, who is rightly qualified to be CMD?
Also, your colleagues that are collecting good pay in abroad, are you operating in the same environment? Are Nigerian footballers earning same pay with their counterparts in South Africa, Egypt, other good African countries, not to talk of European, Americans and Asian countries?

2 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by faithfull18(f): 12:04am On Apr 19, 2018
Visit my profile...
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by ItsMeAboki(m): 12:15am On Apr 19, 2018
OgaInnocent:
#(screenshot below) #

The news is here:

ON SALARY:

ON HOSPITAL HIERARCHY

Nurse vs Nurse Dichotomy

The Way OUT

sscripturas@gmail.com

What a biased and an inaccurate presentation:

On the issue consultancy, medical doctors simply don't want anyone to bear the title of a consultant but only they themselves; whereas in reality there is nothing stopping anyone from being a consultant; you can have a consultant cleaner, gardener, shoe shiner etc because a consultant is simply anyone who can be consulted on a particular subject i.e. who has reached the peak of excellence in his own field and is therefore available to lend his expertise to lower members within his chosen field of specialisation; having a consultant nurse, pharmacist, med lab scientist etc does not mean that such person, would by virtue of such qualification, cross over into realm of medicine - no, this confusion and therefore excuse is being used by doctors to frustrate other health professionals from reaching the peak of their potentials and consequently depriving Nigerians from the benefits of such levels of excellence.

BTW, these consultants already exist in other climes where occasionally medical doctors do consult them; why not Nigeria.

On the issue of hospital hierarchy; again here the OP is confusing the role of the doctor in management of the patient against management of the hospital as an institution/organisation; where in the case of the former medical expertise is necessary as against the latter where administrative knowledge and skill are the essential requirement.

In fact, headship of hospitals by doctors is the usurpation of the specialised field of Hospital Administrators who are the trained professionals meant to run hospitals.

Doctors having taken over this role along with major administrative posts e.g commissioners, ministers of health etc. and making them their exclusive preserve; rather than carrying everybody along in order to allow peace to reign; they instead began the policy of self consolidation and that of exclusion and domination of other health workers, thus leading to the present circumstance where all the other health professionals are forced to come together as one union (by the common factor of oppression) to fight against the tyranny of medical doctors against them - resulting in the unending industrial unrest of the sector.

On the issue of salary: doctors are not the only ones being under paid but everybody else; however, the trouble is that even though doctors are on higher and entirely different salary scale, negotiated separately, they still begrudge the salaries of other health workers, insisting on a disproportionate wide disparity between them or otherwise continually sabotage whatever gains that may have been successfully negotiated between the other health workers and government - since they have the CMDs, Commissioners and Jnr & Snr health Minsters to aid and abet them.

On the issue of Med Lab Scientist vs Microbiologists vs Technologists: the OP unfortunately presented a hypocritical argument; having earlier supported the doctrine of 'Formal' route of acquisition of knowledge and practice for medical doctors, using a lengthy example based on the Catholic Church (see his argument on consultancy) yet he is here hypocritically denying same for the Medical Laboratory Scientist, who had gone through the formal route of training and registration with the regulatory body as required by law against someone who is unregistered and therefore not recognised by law (and consequently a quack).

5 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by NeonDee(m): 12:35am On Apr 19, 2018
See them arguing like they care for the patients... undecided Mediocre health worker grin grin
You need to see how these myopic and selfish health workers treat patients in the hospital..... Pathetic!!
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Benwems(m): 12:59am On Apr 19, 2018
OgaInnocent:
#(screenshot below) #

The news is here:

ON SALARY:

ON HOSPITAL HIERARCHY

Nurse vs Nurse Dichotomy

The Way OUT

sscripturas@gmail.com
OP you are a stinking liar. Canadian doctors don't earn $500,000 per annum. See how much they earn per annum in the link below
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/how-much-are-canadian-doctors-paid/article7750697/
For you to lie like this. It clearly shows your opinion on the matter is biased.
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by honourwealth(m): 2:01am On Apr 19, 2018
nice write up, i won't say you're bias in it, but i can bodily say you're not objective in it.
firstly, you never state your profession, you claimed 'I am NOT a medical doctor, at least for now' which simply means you can become one later if you're not already, likewise you're not in better position for this French statement "espirit des corps" which means feeling of pride or mutual loyalty shared by the members of a group we reader are in better position to judge if you belong to them or not.

Also,this statement "if someone should complain of salary, it is the doctors" you don't tell us why.. you only compared their salary with that of Canadian doctors, without bother to compare the other professions salary under JOHESU to that Canada salary scales. even the so called teachers who made you a good product of today that were paying poorly in our dear country, earning a good and attractive salary in Canada.
in the aspect of jetting out of medical doctors; people of other professions also travel for green pasture. And one of the major reason for mass exodus of recent migration is as result of attractive salaries in western countries.

furthermore, your analogy ON HOSPITAL HIERARCHY
you 'heard' means you're not sure. and the illustration of that catholic is wrong coz the church doctrine backup whatever they do.. in health sector i believe what they need was unity for the benefits of the patient and that's exactly what they are paid for by our dear government.
In the Dichotomy of same profession is not limited to professions under JOHESU alone, even in other MDA is same thing and the same thing would been applicable to doctors if the course could be study in polytechnics as well.
finally, i believe people choose their profession base on their passion.
NEXT TIME TRY TO WRITE ON SOMETHING THAT WILL UNITE PEOPLE TOGETHER AND ALWAYS PROPAGATE PEACE.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by naijaking1: 2:16am On Apr 19, 2018
Glitzcaret:

Your point of view is lame you guys need to move out to visit other countries then you will understand the difference between the role of a Pharmacist and a doctor.
The execute and legislative arm of govt does not have thesame role bro...grow up.
If she doesn't love Pharmacy then she made the perfect move.....Pharmacy is a independent professional course...use your Google idiot!!!

First of all calling me childish names only betrays your mental and academic immaturity.

FYI, I am not based in Nigeria, but once a Nigerian always a Nigerian, even at heart.
That's why I boarder to comment on this unfortunate issue.

The physician is the only healthcare professional adequately trained to look at the patient from every point of view, namely , diagnostic--labs, radiology; pharmacotherapy, surgery, counseling, education, nutrition, prevention, etc.

As a pharmacist, your role in health care is less than one third of the physician, and you cannot, in your very limited education, solicit, campaign, or pressure to be put on the same pedestal as a physician.

This is criminal, because if I bring you into medical or surgery grand rounds, less than 10% of what they discuss will be known to you, yet you want to be paid same salary without being able to half of what they do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by naijaking1: 2:31am On Apr 19, 2018
Glitzcaret:

What planet are you.... You full of hate and bitterness...
They many nigerian med lab scientist excelling in their glorious career.

If you're advocating for JEHSU or whatever they call themselves, the best you can do is tell the truth.
Facts:
1. Pharm . D graduates do about 1 year hospital residency. I had one rotate with me last month.
2. I had and still has my Med lab certificate signed by Mr. Park at the IMLTN, he was followed by the mean Dr. Osuoha. If you are not in that profession and working as a paid canpaigner or agigator, please don't argue with me on this, orherwise I will challange you to give details of your own training.
3. In the hospitals, the pharmacists has no deep training in anatomy, surgery, or evenhuman behaviour, so while they are well trained to run pharmacies and drug stores, they need more education to run whole hospitals.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by cutechioma1: 2:49am On Apr 19, 2018
OgaInnocent:

Point of correction. Doctors can disrespect other health professionals because they are not their rivals. But if there is disrespect by nigerian doctors to JOHESU, it is simply reactionary due to their (JOHESU) continued challenge of the doctors. Imagine a graduate of medical laboratory science hanging stethoscope on his neck and saying he is a diagnostic doctor. Can u imagine that? Does that happen in your civilized setting?

In Nigeria, every one working in the hospital is answering a doctor. Doctors can't just fold hand and watch them. So any action by the doctors is reactionary. Otherwise, what does a doctor gain by victimizing a nurse who has done him no wrong. But when a nurse starts claiming he /she can do what d doctors can do...I wonder!! My brother, just reason that.
I agree with you, we should stick to our speciality but what of doctors that wants to prove they can do other people's job. Eg, a Dr will come into the lab and start working on the bench all in the name of a pathologist. Do you know many times they commit blunder just to ascertain their authority. You can't spend 6yrs + 1yr horsemanship to prove that you are better than others just to end up fighting to see that bacteria in the urine.
JOHESU is not looking for equal pay with the Dr but equal rights, to be considered as a key part of the patient's recovery plan. If the Drs believe they are the head of this great team, please in the name of true leadership should carry everyone along. As far as am concerned, the most critical member of this team is the patient because without him/her every other person cease to exist.

1 Like

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by faheez(m): 2:52am On Apr 19, 2018
OgaInnocent:
#(screenshot below) #

The news is here:

ON SALARY:

ON HOSPITAL HIERARCHY

Nurse vs Nurse Dichotomy

The Way OUT

sscripturas@gmail.com
OP, I took little time to read the _____you call write up. Of course there are some iota of truth in what you wrote. But before I proceed, if you are not a doctor then what are you?. Coz I know how much it will be difficult for someone not in the system to perfectly understand this. And to think that Doctors are the most underpaid professional when compared to foreign colleague, pls have to tried to compare the nurses counterparts?
it's true that the demands may be tasking to fulfil, yes fine, but it's a way forward, it's the Aluta spirit. when demands are high, they will eventually settle at something better than setting the demand very low. some of these professionals are underpaid too, the professional dichotomy is real too. Everything needs reformation.
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by cutechioma1: 3:21am On Apr 19, 2018
quatrevingtdix:
please always arm yourself with information before talking.
I have been an onlooker silently viewing this threads for days but couldnt stomach It any longer.
This advanced world have CMDs who is a doctor, always a doctor, then a board consisting of other people, which is headed by the CEO or board chairman [as is obtainable in nogeria[]..so its the same thing here too, the board or CEO os just an oversight function.
But the management is left to the CMD.

And finally of the other health sector workers ever though of and ever wanted harmony, whats the purpose of a "joint health.. .[JOHESU]" without doctors, is that not ironic.. "joint".
My dear for your information, JOHESU was formed to have a stronger force against our employers (govt) and not to fight Drs. If doctors choose to join, the door is open. Not too long a ago, all health workers including the Drscame together to form medical and health workers union of Nigeria( MAHWUN) and guess what they left because they felt its inappropriate to fight beside their inferiors.

1 Like

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by cutechioma1: 3:44am On Apr 19, 2018
funmisticqueen:

And you think a Med lab Scientist have not been fired before because of an inconsistent lab result due to Dr's interference, a nurse arrested before due to the negligence of the Dr. When a case of litigation comes up, everyone involved in the care of the patient is called upon from the Dr to the nurse down to the ward orderly that mistakenly forgot to greet the patient. The risk is high for all health workers.

1 Like

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Mofpearl: 3:58am On Apr 19, 2018
Though I don't understand what the JOHESU bruhaha is about, I was disappointed to see healthcare professionals claiming that they are superior to one and other.

Seriously in 2018, we are still arguing if doctors are better than nurses and vice versa? I can only imagine what it's like to work with people having this type of mindset. How does inter-professional collaboration take place in the healthcare setting? How can we work effectively as a team if we are arguing about who is better? The healthcare environment should not be hierarchical in nature, every single profession has their own role to play in healthcare and everyone is important, including the aid workers, cleaners etc. If the cleaners went on a strike, as a nurse I'd struggle with knowing the right proportion of cleaning agent to mix for the different types of precaution I was never learnt that.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Drugs That Can Make One Last In Bed / Sanwo-Olu Commissions Bola Ahmed Tinubu Health Centre (Photos) / Lady Commits Suicide After Losing Her 5-Year Old Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 231
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.