Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:07 AM

Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! - Health (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! (36197 Views)

Re: Strike - "JOHESU Is Selfish,they Dont Know What They Want" Must Read / JOHESU Strike: Nigerian Government Threatens ‘no Work, No Pay’ Policy / Federal Health Workers Under The Umbrella Of JOHESU Embark On Indefinite Trike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Nobody: 10:11pm On Apr 20, 2018
ultron12345:
you attended all Anatomy, physiology classes with medical students? OK, manageable, but the anatomy and physiology exams you wrote and the ones medical students wrote, are they of the same standard. You might attend classes together (which isn't true most of the time as medical students usually have special classes to cover up more complex and detailed work which others don't need, u might not know of this cos the classes are for only them), but what you are expected to know in those courses is less then 40% of what medical students are expected to know.
Guy, it's all d same. Even Anatomy practicals they do are all hogwash except in foreign countries where they are properly done. Medical doctors are arrogant. I'm a dental student. Could u believe it that d difference b/w medicine and dentistry in 1st degree is not more than a year? When i said it here, one of u argued until he was corrected by others. Maybe, he felt d almighty medicine is reserved for medical students alone. Starting from 1st yr to 4th year, medicine and dentistry do the same thing and write d same exam together, d so-called MBBS/BDS exams. After 4th yr, dental students will now leave their fellow medical students of d same level (in this case, 4th yr), and join final yr medical students to do their final yr course - medicine and surgery which is their 5th MBBS but it's 4th BDS for d 5th yr dental students. In this course, they undergo d same clinical training/posting, classroom teaching and exam, despite d fact that dentistry is for the oral and maxillofacial region. Yet, some ignorant and arrogant folks among u would argue against this fact.

Even in our teaching hospital, a consultant oral and maxillofacial surgeon, after surgically removing ameloblastoma or any other big tumor on the face that may have eaten deep into the jaw or any oda facial structure, will still remove d fibula from d leg on his own, suture d leg, curve d fibula using mini screws, and use it to make anoda jaw and then use it to reconstruct d gaps left after removing d tumor. In the event that a seriously injured/critical patient on the maxillofacial and oral region cannot be easily anaesthetised by a consultant anaesthesiologist (a medical doctor) using a conventional procedure, during any of the surgical procedures he (the maxillofacial surgon) is performing, he surgically opens the trachea for d anaesthesiologist to work on. But in a forum like this, u will see medical doctors or most of d time, medical students claiming as if they are d only ones with superior knowledge. This is stupidity.

Medicine is all about reading voraciously, high dedication and concentration, following instructions and cramming (d same with dentistry and other health courses) and u will see urself passing. An intelligent person may even fail while an average student may pass and get distinctions ahead of d intelligent ones who are not serious. So, why bragging? both medicine and dentistry take d same 2nd MBBS/BDS, and one medical student here, just to justify stupidity which he foolishly claimed to be knowledge for him, said that d marking scheme is not d same. He was, in fact, a pathological liar.

Some have even claimed d headship of govt hospitals is for them (d medical doctors) alone whereas the law states it is for both medical and dental consultants who have passed through West African College of Physicians/Surgeons or National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria. Even Prof. Onatolu Odukoya (an oral pathologist) was d 1st dentist to be d CMD of Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) and also d 1st CMD to serve for 8 yrs; Dr Koledade Idowu, d fmr CMD of Usman DanFodio University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto while the immediate past president of National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria, Prof. Ademola Olaitan is a dentist.

In essence, medical doctors constitute a greater part of d problem in d health sector in Nigeria. I therefore support agitations for more wages and improved working conditions and benefits for other health workers. However, i disagree with JOHESU on having consultants. It could engender chaos. Nobody should lord it over others.

In saner climes, what is obtainable is chief executive officers (CEOs) heading d hospitals while chief medical officers (CMOs), similar to CMAC here, heading d clinical aspect of d hospital. The former is for anybody while d latter is strictly for a medical doctor or dentist. How do i know this? In African Mercy Ships Hospital owned by an American, Don Stephens, a dentist, Dr Gary Parker is d CMO, an orthopedic surgeon is d assistant CMO, while Gary's wife who read a Social science or Humanity course was d CEO. She is no longer d CEO. I've forgotten d specific social science course she studied. Dr Gary Parker is an oral and maxillofacial surgeon (singly qualified). U can google information about Mercyships Hospital online, especially d African MercyShips Hospital. It runs free of charge surgeries in African countries.

7 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Faraidi(m): 10:33pm On Apr 20, 2018
tohpahz:

How did we get to Islam. What's wrong with you people
you are SICK. Islam hates discrimination
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Faraidi(m): 10:34pm On Apr 20, 2018
damilton:

Auxillary nurses are not nurses. so keep your dirty mouth shut if you dont understand what it takes to be a nurse. other health professions are not fighting to be a doctor, they are fighting for their pay right.
tell your useless father to keep his smelling mouth shut. Bas.tard
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by nelszx: 11:44pm On Apr 20, 2018
Mandeyy:
Guy, it's all d same. Even Anatomy practicals they do are all hogwash except in foreign countries where they are properly done. Medical doctors are arrogant. I'm a dental student. Could u believe it that d difference b/w medicine and dentistry in 1st degree is not more than a year? When i said it here, one of u argued until he was corrected by others. Maybe, he felt d almighty medicine is reserved for medical students alone. Starting from 1st yr to 4th year, medicine and dentistry do the same thing and write d same exam together, d so-called MBBS/BDS exams. After 4th yr, dental students will now leave their fellow medical students of d same level (in this case, 4th yr), and join final yr medical students to do their final yr course - medicine and surgery which is their 5th MBBS but it's 4th BDS for d 5th yr dental students. In this course, they undergo d same clinical training/posting, classroom teaching and exam, despite d fact that dentistry is for the oral and maxillofacial region. Yet, some ignorant and arrogant folks among u would argue against this fact.

Even in our teaching hospital, a consultant oral and maxillofacial surgeon, after surgically removing ameloblastoma or any other big tumor on the face that may have eaten deep into the jaw or any oda facial structure, will still remove d fibula from d leg on his own, suture d leg, curve d fibula using mini screws, and use it to make anoda jaw and then use it to reconstruct d gaps left after removing d tumor. In the event that a seriously injured/critical patient on the maxillofacial and oral region cannot be easily anaesthetised by a consultant anaesthesiologist (a medical doctor) using a conventional procedure, during any of the surgical procedures he (the maxillofacial surgon) is performing, he surgically opens the trachea for d anaesthesiologist to work on. But in a forum like this, u will see medical doctors or most of d time, medical students claiming as if they are d only ones with superior knowledge. This is stupidity.

Medicine is all about reading voraciously, high dedication and concentration, following instructions and cramming (d same with dentistry and other health courses) and u will see urself passing. An intelligent person may even fail while an average student may pass and get distinctions ahead of d intelligent ones who are not serious. So, why bragging? both medicine and dentistry take d same 2nd MBBS/BDS, and one medical student here, just to justify stupidity which he foolishly claimed to be knowledge for him, said that d marking scheme is not d same. He was, in fact, a pathological liar.

Some have even claimed d headship of govt hospitals is for them (d medical doctors) alone whereas the law states it is for both medical and dental consultants who have passed through West African College of Physicians/Surgeons or National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria. Even Prof. Onatolu Odukoya (an oral pathologist) was d 1st dentist to be d CMD of Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) and also d 1st CMD to serve for 8 yrs; Dr Koledade Idowu, d fmr CMD of Usman DanFodio University Teaching Hospital, Sokoto while the immediate past president of National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria, Prof. Ademola Olaitan is a dentist.

In essence, medical doctors constitute a greater part of d problem in d health sector in Nigeria. I therefore support agitations for more wages and improved working conditions and benefits for other health workers. However, i disagree with JOHESU on having consultants. It could engender chaos. Nobody should lord it over others.

In saner climes, what is obtainable is chief executive officers (CEOs) heading d hospitals while chief medical officers (CMOs), similar to CMAC here, heading d clinical aspect of d hospital. The former is for anybody while d latter is strictly for a medical doctor or dentist. How do i know this? In African Mercy Ships Hospital owned by an American, Don Stephens, a dentist, Dr Gary Parker is d CMO, an orthopedic surgeon is d assistant CMO, while Gary's wife who read a Social science or Humanity course was d CEO. She is no longer d CEO. I've forgotten d specific social science course she studied. Dr Gary Parker is an oral and maxillofacial surgeon (singly qualified). U can google information about Mercyships Hospital online, especially d African MercyShips Hospital. It runs free of charge surgeries in African countries.

At the bolded,
WHY
What chaos has it brought to countries where they are being practised. I'd love to learn from you.

2 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by nelszx: 11:44pm On Apr 20, 2018
What are your reason(s)
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Nobody: 5:56am On Apr 21, 2018
ewawumi:
hmmmn, I wonder why my people will not leave all this bigotic docs with their craze jare; LEOPARD cant leave its spots behind. and as for you, @funmisticqueen, even if i can't answer for other regulatory bodies on disciplinary actions, MRTB does. if you are in doubt, let me send you a copy of the code of ethics and conduct.
NMA people in the house, grow up! JOHESU AND OTHERS, self love is bae!
there has to be an emoji for rolling eyes on this nairaland
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by defunk: 7:12am On Apr 21, 2018
th
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by lokoloko84(m): 8:26am On Apr 21, 2018
I need your help guys. I have been diagnosed with pulmonary tuberculosis based on my chest X-ray result.
At the T. B center, I was given a container to collect my sputum for sputum test. But the major problem, I have now is that when I cough I don't normally bring out sputum.
How do I induce myself, to produce sputum.
Advice urgently needed
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by JoannaSedley(f): 10:38am On Apr 21, 2018
lokoloko84:
I need your help guys. I have been diagnosed with pulmonary tuberculosis based on my chest X-ray result.
At the T. B center, I was given a container to collect my sputum for sputum test. But the major problem, I have now is that when I cough I don't normally bring out sputum.
How do I induce myself, to produce sputum.
Advice urgently needed
Our world acclaimed medical doctors with distinction in everything won't see your post but will rather masturbate about JOHESU.
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Tamunonengi244(m): 11:41am On Apr 21, 2018
MY OPINION ON THE ONGOING JOHESU STRIKE
interprofessional rivalry and bickering amongst the practitioners of the art of healing is not new the world over. However the Nigerian situation I'd some what troubling.
Most other health workers crying of oppression band discrimination in the health sector are guilty of such.
The so called hatred for doctors is evident at the undergraduate level, the reason for this u don't know.
More worrisome is the involvement of the administrative staff in the foray. In medical school I have seen nurses insult consultants, laboratory scientists verbally assault pathologist for no reason without any action taken against them. Mind you in my class we had an anesthetic nurse, a laboratory scientist and graduates of other health related fields.

Over the years the health sector has become a battle ground not for fighting disease which is its primarily purpose but for interprofessional rivalry
My take on the issue which may be tagged bias due to my professional allegiance is. Appointment if other health professionals is not necessary, pathologist and laboratory scientists can alternate headships of Labs. Doctors the world over earn better than other s in the health sector
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by chuksbogus: 12:17pm On Apr 21, 2018
THE REASON WE MUST ALL STAY FOCUS ON THIS JOHESU STRIKE AND IGNORE EVERY DISTRACTION FROM THE DOCTORS.
GOOD DAY TO ALL MY COLLEAGUE IN THE STRUGGLE TO LIBERATE HEALTH SECTOR FROM THE HANDS OF A GROUP THAT SEE THEMSELVES AS THE ALPHA AND OMEGA.
I WANT TO FIRST BRING TO YOUR KNOWLEDGE WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE HEALTH WORKERS SALARY :
IN THE YEAR 2009 WHEN THE LATE MUSA YARADUA WAS THE THEN PRESIDENT OF NIG. THE DOCTORS CLAMORED FOR INCREMENT IN THEIR SALARIES AND THE MINISTER OF DOCTORS RELATE SAME TO THE PRESIDENT, BUT THE PRESIDENT REFUSED TO INCREASED THEIR SALARY AND SAID THEY ARE NOT THE ONLY ONE IN THE HEALTH SECTOR THAT INSTEAD HE WILL INCREASE FOR EVERYBODY IN THE HEALTH SECTOR, TO THIS EFFECT A COMMITTEE WAS SET UP AND ALL THE UNION WAS ABLY REPRESENTED.
IN THE LAST QUARTER OF 2009 THE SALARY SCALE WAS THEN MOVED TO CONHESS (FORMALLY CONTISS) AND WAS APPROVED BY THE PRESIDENT AND IMPLEMENTED IN JANUARY 2010.
NOTE THAT THE COMMITTEE AGREED THAT 4 YEARS LATER THE CONHESS SALARY SCALE WILL BE ADJUSTED AGAIN(INCREASED)AND NOTE THAT BOTH THE DOCTORS AND OTHER HEALTH WORKERS WAS ON CONHESS AND THERE WAS HARMONY IN THE HEALTH SECTOR AND NO STRIKE FROM THAT 2010 TO 2013.
NOW IN 2014 WHEN THE SALARY WAS SUPPOSE TO BE REVIEWED (ANOTHER PRESIDENT NOW IN POWER) THE DOCTORS THEN WENT BEHIND WITH THE HELP OF THE MINISTER OF DOCTORS (PROF OYEBUCHI CHUKWU) TO MOVE OUT OF CONHESS AND HAVE THEIR OWN SALARY SCALE WHICH IS NOW CONMESS AND FAR ROBUST THAN CONHESS, IT WAS APPROVED AND IMPLEMENTED FOR THEM SHARPLY.
THE NEW CONHESS WAS ALSO CALCULATED BY SALARIES INCOMES AND WAGES COMMISSION BUT WAS NEVER APPROVED TILL DATE.
THE STRUGGLE THEN STARTED BY JOHESU CLAMORING FOR GOVT TO DO THE NEEDFUL AS DONE FOR NMA, THIS ALSO RESULTED TO SERIES OF STRIKE BUT THE MINISTER OF DOCTORS AND THE THEN PRESIDENT DIDN'T IMPLEMENT IT.
IN 2016 AND 2017 RESPECTIVELY THE DOCTORS SALARIES WAS INCREASED AND THEY CALL IT RELATIVITY, MIND YOU THEY FOUGHT AGAINST SKIPPING A CONHESS LEVEL AND SAID IT WAS CRIMINAL AND ILLEGAL TO SKIP A LEVEL. (JOHESU WON THE CASE IN COURT AGAINST THE FEDERAL GOVT), THE DOCTORS LATTER ASKED FOR THE SKIPPING AND IT WAS APPROVED FOR THEM AND THEY WERE PAID WHY THE RIGHTFUL OWNER HAVE STILL NOT BEEN PAID THE ARREARS SINCE 2010.
AS WE SPEAK A HOUSE OFFICER THAT IS JUST LEAVING SCHOOL IS PLACE ON COMESS 1 WHICH IS EQUIVALENT TO CONHESS 12 ( THAT IS FOR A NURSE THAT HAVE SPENT MORE THAN 15YEARS IN SERVICE), WHILE A REGISTRAR EARN FAR MORE THAN A CHIEF NURSING OFFICER, THEY EARN SAME SALARY WITH ADNS (I KNOW OF A NURSE WHO HAVE FEW YEARS TO RETIREMENT AND THE SON THAT WAS JUST EMPLOYED AS A REGISTRAR IN THE SAME INSTITUTION EARN FAR MORE THAN HER( REMEMBER SHE HAS PUT IN MORE THAN 30YEARS OF ACTIVE SERVICE).
AND THE LEAST CONSULTANT EARN #600,000 AND ABOVE MONTHLY.
THEY WANT TO MAINTAIN THIS DISPARITY BETWEEN THEIR SALARY AND THAT OF OTHER HEALTH WORKERS.
THAT IS WHY YOU ARE SEEING THEM WRITTING DIFFERENT PROTEST LETTER TO DISTRACT JOHESU MEMBERS AND TO ALSO THREATEN THE MINISTER OF DOCTORS AND THE PRESIDENT NOT TO HONOR JOHESU DEMANDS.
NOTE THAT THEY ARE GREEDY, SELF-CENTERED, SELFISH, EGOCENTRIC, PROUD AND WICKED.
AND WE MUST REMAIN FOCUS SO AS TO ACHIEVE OUR GOAL, IGNORE THEM AND DON'T LET THEM INSTILL FEAR INTO US BY THEIR VARIOUS CIRCULAR OF NO WORK NO PAY...
ASUU WENT ON STRIKE FOR 3 MONTHS THE NO WORK NO PAY CIRCULAR WAS NOT USE ON THEM,
NASSU WENT ON STRIKE FOR 6 GOOD MONTHS AND THE NO WORK NO PAY WAS NOT USE ON THEM AND WE ALL HAVE THE SAME MINISTER OF LABOUR AND EMPLOYMENT (DR CHRIS NGIGE WHO HAPPENS TO BE A MEDICAL DOCTOR), SO WHY ON EARTH ARE THEY NOW MENTIONING NO WORK NO PAY FOR JOHESU MEMBERS
THIS IS TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THEY WANT TO INSTILL FEAR INTO YOU,
THIS IS THE MORE REASON WE ALL MUST STAY FOCUS AND IGNORE THEIR EMPTY THREAT.
I WANT YOU ALL TO NOTE THAT WHAT EVER MAKE THE NEW MINIMUM WAGE THAT IS GOING TO BE APPROVED COME THIRD QUARTER OF THIS YEAR 2018 MEET THIS PRESENT SALARY WE ARE RECEIVING, IT MEANS WE HAVE SHOT OURSELVES ON THE FOOT;
BECAUSE MINIMUM WAGE IS USUALLY CAL

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by naijaking1: 2:00pm On Apr 21, 2018
phase1:

There is nothing like 'national association of med lab'. You called yourself a med tech...no Med lab Scientist calls himself that in Nigeria. I'd bet you read SLT microbiology. Medical Scientists in UK, Australia, US also become consultants in their fields.

There are Doctor of Clinical lab science (D.CLS) in the US and other advanced countries. Ghana have are today graduating D.MLS Scientists even though Nigeria started the proposal but because the physicians felt threatened they used their member in the NUC Dr Ahmadu Alli of the NUC governing board to thwart it, this is just one among other things they've denied other health workers.

You sound like you're in school and capable of learning, so let me educate you about medical lab tech in Nigeria.
Up till 1986/7, the Institute of Medical Lab Technology located in Yaba was run by a certain Mr. Park, an albino with basic lab education from Britain. He was succeeded by Mrs Okonkwo, then Dr. Osuoha who was my principle at a school in the east. If you were in the profession, I' m sure you'd know which school he ran.

The agitation to change "technology" to "science" was started by the class ahead of me at the institute during a convention in Ibadan. Did you ever go to a convention, or you just come here to argue blindly?
Anyway, my last convention was in Jos. My point is that what started as a joke by exuberant kids like me has misled many people, it was almost a joke then, because we were bored. Today it's called JEHSU, and some people are taking it seriously!

Medical lab technologists are quite political, unfortunately, that doesn't add anything to their academic improvement. They wrongly think that the only way they can move forward is to become "doctors" without getting the necessary medical school education. I know many colleagues practicing in Nigeria today who act like doctors, writing prescriptions-of medications they don't know the side effects, and even dabbling into minor surgical procedures like D&C.

Ironically, when they themselves become sick, they seek out the real doctors who know what they're doing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by ultron12345: 5:37pm On Apr 21, 2018
Mandeyy:

good evening to you. I never downgraded dentistry, dentists are well respected by medical doctors, all benefits for doctors and also shared by dentists, both professions are one, infact, when we mention medical doctors, know that dentists are included except otherwise stated. That's why it's medical and dental council of Nigeria. Pls, we are a family. That's why dental surgeons are also part of West African college of surgeons

For Anatomy, Physiology and other courses, both medical and dental have the same very high standards. The anatomy and co for nursing, MLS and others cannot be compared to the anatomy and co for medicine/dentistry as the latter is far more complex and detailed than the former.

I don't think there is any dichotomy between doctors and dentists, I am just hearing this from the first time and I do hope it's not true. Even the cmd adverts I've seen, BDS holders are allowed to apply.

Pls, let's not let that set of useless and stupid people called JOHESU to put bad blood between the medical and dental professions.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by ewawumi(f): 5:49pm On Apr 21, 2018
funmisticqueen:
there has to be an emoji for rolling eyes on this nairaland
you better go and ask SEUN OSEWA to give you a manual on how to use nairaland buttons and their functions. don't even dare challenge me to a contest here cos i learnt the art of speaking before PROSTHETICS/ORTHOTICS!
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by danilmo: 6:39pm On Apr 21, 2018
JoannaSedley:
Our world acclaimed medical doctors with distinction in everything won't see your post but will rather masturbate about JOHESU.

common keep quayet..

pained soul..
shebi nairaland is the latest hospital where patient can consult doctors .

Oda
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by JoannaSedley(f): 7:08pm On Apr 21, 2018
danilmo:

common keep quayet..

pained soul..
shebi nairaland is the latest hospital where patient can consult doctors .

Oda
See them...empty vessels

2 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by danilmo: 7:33pm On Apr 21, 2018
JoannaSedley:
See them...empty vessels

pained soul.

oya u wey dey loaded , answer na and get joy

for ur info am a preclinical student and inducing sputum is not a big deal , how much More d senior ones in d house .

u av been abusing them since but now ure in need of them, just negodu jare,,

all this empty head johesu will just make medics frown at patient..
annoying set of human being,

I wish they @govt can even dissolve all of them so that medics will take over and show them doctors can play well in there absence..

To d patient above, I for say make u DM me o, but how much u go pay first,

consulting is #3k in d hospital but how much u go pay if I wan reason u online ,
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Nobody: 9:17pm On Apr 21, 2018
ewawumi:

you better go and ask SEUN OSEWA to give you a manual on how to use nairaland buttons and their functions. don't even dare challenge me to a contest here cos i learnt the art of speaking before PROSTHETICS/ORTHOTICS!
see i have better things to do than wasting my time on you
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by ewawumi(f): 10:26pm On Apr 21, 2018
funmisticqueen:
undecided
funmisticqueen:
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by phase1: 10:49am On Apr 22, 2018
naijaking1:

You sound like you're in school and capable of learning, so let me educate you about medical lab tech in Nigeria.
Up till 1986/7, the Institute of Medical Lab Technology located in Yaba was run by a certain Mr. Park, an albino with basic lab education from Britain. He was succeeded by Mrs Okonkwo, then Dr. Osuoha who was my principle at a school in the east. If you were in the profession, I' m sure you'd know which school he ran.

The agitation to change "technology" to "science" was started by the class ahead of me at the institute during a convention in Ibadan. Did you ever go to a convention, or you just come here to argue blindly?
Anyway, my last convention was in Jos. My point is that what started as a joke by exuberant kids like me has misled many people, it was almost a joke then, because we were bored. Today it's called JEHSU, and some people are taking it seriously!

Medical lab technologists are quite political, unfortunately, that doesn't add anything to their academic improvement. They wrongly think that the only way they can move forward is to become "doctors" without getting the necessary medical school education. I know many colleagues practicing in Nigeria today who act like doctors, writing prescriptions-of medications they don't know the side effects, and even dabbling into minor surgical procedures like D&C.

Ironically, when they themselves become sick, they seek out the real doctors who know what they're doing.

You are not well lettered and I'll prove it.
It is moronic to think everyone in the health sector wants to be physicians. It is a 7th century mode of thinking.

Morever, the use of the word of the word 'doctor' is not the exclusive preserve of physicians. Let us even go into the aetiology of the word 'doctor'. It is derived from the latin word 'docere' which means 'to teach' (not to treat) infact teachers and philosophers of the old were the first to use the word 'doctor' so technically physicians borrowed the word from them and cannot claim the exclusive use of the word 'doctor'.

Furthermore, anybody can be a doctor, even lawyers with Juris.D are called doctors,

Pharmacists with D.Pharm are Doctors,
Scientists with D.mLs in civilized countries are called 'doctors'.

Nurses with DNP (Doctor of nursing practise) are doctors,

Optometrists with O.D are called doctor.

there are doctors of integrative medicine (IMD)

Doctors of naturopathy (N.D) etc

This is what is obtainable in the advanced countries you greedy lots always want to run to. You can lament from now till tommorow it won't stop people who want to progress to progress. Just like every profession, the Scientist have evolved, the curriculum have evolved, the job description have evolved.

During my postgraduate study in the UK, Med Scientists collate and review laboratory results of patients and write recommendations for physicians and this helps to improve laboratory request procedures and system for physicians and other health professionals. That's how it should be done. Some Med. Scientists in the UK are also Fellows of the Royal college of Pathologists (FRCPATH). They write the fellowship exams and pass. In the US they are associates and fellows of American society of clinical pathology (ASCP). A development you guys believe is an anomaly in nigeria?

Many physicians are not even educated about certain high complexity tests and investigations that could help patients answer certain questions. Biomedical Scientists in the UK hold seminars for physicians and educate them about certain tests they have been previously clueless about. These seminars are NHS-funded. Physicians there don't sign results generated by Scientists it is regarded as intellectual theft and plagiarism but here you want to sign results generated by Scientists. A result in which you have no input?

Many physicians travel out of this country with almost worthless nigerian degrees to advanced countries and are not even qualified to work as lab assistants or even phlebotomists overseas while they struggle to write and pass the local council exams there yet invade our laboratories here in nigeria wanting to head the Scientists.

Better wake up to reality!

3 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by chuksbogus: 1:00pm On Apr 22, 2018
If you decide to be realistic the only health workers that are being looked down in Nigeria and when they go abroad they become hot cakes are the Nurses!!! Yes I said the NURSES.Nurses are tagged money making machine abroad and they are the professionals that are leaving this country in thousand every year not Even doctors. I know some sentimental Dr will come out to argue this but deep within them they know it true.
I have said to my self the closest people in health care industries are the Dr and the RN .they are the people that works hand in hand,they are always together everyday and they are the profession in health that intermarry most.In the states the Dr and RN are very close,they respect each other and value the knowledge and potentials in them.That's why you can see a advanced practice nurses ,consultant nurses ,that does some of the functions of a Dr. But here in Nigeria the reverse is the case. I have seen a final year medical student that passed his finals with the help of a nurse in the ward and most of them during House job have been put through some procedure by a nurse though some will try to e proud and pretend to knew only to keep messing up until a nurse comes to his aid.
On the nurse side too ,they have this mentality that Dr are looking down on them hence they are now always on edge when ever they are dealing with drs. Ready to attack but by and large there are still good Dr and good Nurse out there. I think this two professionals should come together to and resolve their differences and unite. Then they can face the govt and get what ever they want.

most of the Dr Nurse and other health care professionals that are rushing to leave this country on getting there they will adapt to the culture of respecting each other cus there they will meet Consultant nurses,advance practice nurses and will address them as such.
They will also meet pharmacist who will refuse to give patient drugs cus the Dr prescription is wrong. But here in Nigeria its not same .Let's come together and build our health system so that medical tourism will stop

3 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Rainmaker69(m): 3:44pm On Apr 22, 2018
Nigerians should not be in a hurry to support these unionist Doctors asking for more pay... guess where money is gonna come from? Yep... you and I will be taxed to pay the exorbitant salaries of rude doctors and proud nurses who moonlight and end up doing part time in private hospitals.
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by danilmo: 3:55pm On Apr 22, 2018
Rainmaker69:
Nigerians should not be in a hurry to support these unionist Doctors asking for more pay... guess where money is gonna come from? Yep... you and I will be taxed to pay the exorbitant salaries of rude doctors and proud nurses who moonlight and end up doing part time in private hospitals.

and u ll now expect the best service from them..
lets keep deceiving ourselves na..

better pray u no jam rude doctor in a critical time..
though their is private hosp sha, but not free, lol, u ll still end up paying one way or the other
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by ewawumi(f): 5:42pm On Apr 22, 2018
ultron12345:
good evening to you. I never downgraded dentistry, dentists are well respected by medical doctors, all benefits for doctors and also shared by dentists, both professions are one, infact, when we mention medical doctors, know that dentists are included except otherwise stated. That's why it's medical and dental council of Nigeria. Pls, we are a family. That's why dental surgeons are also part of West African college of surgeons

For Anatomy, Physiology and other courses, both medical and dental have the same very high standards. The anatomy and co for nursing, MLS and others cannot be compared to the anatomy and co for medicine/dentistry as the latter is far more complex and detailed than the former.

I don't think there is any dichotomy between doctors and dentists, I am just hearing this from the first time and I do hope it's not true. Even the cmd adverts I've seen, BDS holders are allowed to apply.

Pls, let's not let that set of useless and stupid people called JOHESU to put bad blood between the medical and dental professions.
JOHESU is useless and stupid bah? NMA should do all the job alone then!

1 Like

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by quatrevingtdix: 5:42pm On Apr 22, 2018
@chuksbogus Refer to the screenshots provided and the highlighted.
Just to counter mischief makers who try to create hatred for doctors by making them seem like the bad people.
The doctors requested for better salaries in september 2009 and got it, johesu went on strike on seeing the doctors got their demands in december 2009 and they were awarded.
So who is gunning after who? Well thats not important.
The most senseless thing ive ever seen any union do is copy verbatim another unions demand without understanding it.. Johesu will not kill me with laugh, they copied NMAs demand.
But of course it was goint to be bite them, because they surely didnt understand what they copied.
Did you ever think JOHESU fighting for consultant has anything to do With patient care?NO!they dont care about the patient.what they are fighting for is that they cant get the specialist allowance not until or unless they are regarded as CONSULTANT .now Their brains just clicked and they are now fighting for been called consultant so they'l get that money.
Yeah we all need each other in the health sector, VERY TRUE, the pilot needs the air hostess, but that doesnt justify them both taking hOme the same salary.

1 Like

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Rainmaker69(m): 7:21pm On Apr 22, 2018
danilmo:

and u ll now expect the best service from them..
lets keep deceiving ourselves na..

better pray u no jam rude doctor in a critical time..
though their is private hosp sha, but not free, lol, u ll still end up paying one way or the other

I'm guessing you're still young and inexperienced in the ways of the world. Nigeria is not an el dorado. The economy is bad and it affects all professionals, that doesn't mean everyone should demand a hefty minimum wage.
Going by your logic, Policemen should not give "best service". What of lawyers? Accountants? Engineers? Architects? We need to think deeply about these things.
By the way, I use a private hospital. Many cannot afford it and they are the ones who suffer from strikes. Medical services are neither cheap nor free, doctors who choose to work in public hospitals know what they are getting into, just like lawyers who choose to work with Legal Aid or Office of the Public Defender. Why should the rest of us pay for their decisions? Shior.
As for rude doctors, mek dem nor jam me for critical time.
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by nelszx: 8:04pm On Apr 22, 2018
phase1:

You are not well lettered and I'll prove it.
It is moronic to think everyone in the health sector wants to be physicians. It is a 7th century mode of thinking.

Morever, the use of the word of the word 'doctor' is not the exclusive preserve of physicians. Let us even go into the aetiology of the word 'doctor'. It is derived from the latin word 'docere' which means 'to teach' (not to treat) infact teachers and philosophers of the old were the first to use the word 'doctor' so technically physicians borrowed the word from them and cannot claim the exclusive use of the word 'doctor'.

Furthermore, anybody can be a doctor, even lawyers with Juris.D are called doctors,

Pharmacists with D.Pharm are Doctors,
Scientists with D.mLs in civilized countries are called 'doctors'.

Nurses with DNP (Doctor of nursing practise) are doctors,

Optometrists with O.D are called doctor.

there are doctors of integraive medicine (IMD)

Doctors of naturopathy (N.D) etc

This is what is obtainable in the advanced countries you greedy lots always want to run to. You can lament from now till tommorow it won't stop people who want to progress to progress. The Scientist have evolved the curriculum have evolved, the job description have evolved.

During my postgraduate degree in the UK, Med Scientists collate and review laboratory results of patients and write recommendations for physicians, and improve laboratory request procedures and system by physicians that's how it should done be done. Some Med. Scientists in the UK are also Fellows of the Royal college of Pathologists (FRCPATH). They write the exams and pass. In the US they are associates and fellows of American society of clinical pathology (ASCP). A development you guys believe should be an anomaly in nigeria?

Many physicians are not even educated about certain high complexity tests and investigations that could help patients answer certain questions. Biomedical Scientists in the UK hold seminars for physicians to educate them about certain tests they have been previously clueless about. These seminars are NHS-funded. Physicians there don't sign results generated by Scientists it is regarded as intellectual theft and plagiarism but here you want to sign results generated by Scientists.

Many physicians travel out of this country with almost worthless nigerian degrees to advanced countries and are not even qualified to work as lab assistants or even phlebotomists overseas while they struggle to write and pass the local council exams yet invade our laboratories in nigeria wanting to head the Scientists.

Shots fired, nice response to someone who did imltn in 1980s thinking it's still the same as 2018. Nice one chief

2 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by Yoruba4Life: 6:36pm On Apr 23, 2018
tohpahz:

This one feels he's a doctor. Lool. You're having multiple identity disorder sha. Better face your conductor work squarely

Oh really? Thanks..
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by emmanuelex1(m): 7:56am On Jun 14, 2018
my younger bro is a doctor in Canada, we were about to read your article but your first sentence spoilt everything. Even a president can not disrespect anyone under him. Please go to check the dictionary to find the meaning of disrespect.
OgaInnocent:

Point of correction. Doctors can disrespect other health professionals because they are not their rivals. But if there is disrespect by nigerian doctors to JOHESU, it is simply reactionary due to their (JOHESU) continued challenge of the doctors. Imagine a graduate of medical laboratory science hanging stethoscope on his neck and saying he is a diagnostic doctor. Can u imagine that? Does that happen in your civilized setting?

In Nigeria, every one working in the hospital is answering a doctor. Doctors can't just fold hand and watch them. So any action by the doctors is reactionary. Otherwise, what does a doctor gain by victimizing a nurse who has done him no wrong. But when a nurse starts claiming he /she can do what d doctors can do...I wonder!! My brother, just reason that.
Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by TempoJames(m): 10:23am On Jun 14, 2018
tongue embarassed cheesy cheesy grin grin grin grin grin grin. JOHESU Idiots!

3 Likes

Re: Strike: "JOHESU is Selfish, They don't know what they want" must read!! by OgaInnocent(m): 2:35pm On Jun 15, 2018
emmanuelex1:
my younger bro is a doctor in Canada, we were about to read your article but your first sentence spoilt everything. Even a president can not disrespect anyone under him. Please go to check the dictionary to find the meaning of disrespect.
Sorry brother .I mean " cannot" pls. It has been corrected. Sorry for the typo.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Fibroids / Combination 3 Pills / Bukky Akinbile, Lady With Mesenteric Cysts (Large Tumor) In Need Of Surgery

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.