Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (92886 Views)

Memoirs From Chile / Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 4:46am On May 14, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
Which part of her post did you read??..am sure you only read the part that appealed to you.I will suggest you go read that post again.

No need for me to read it again.

You are free to limit yourself to what suits you.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 4:46am On May 14, 2018
princfred:
First, am not a lazy Nigerian youth like you and Buharis children. Then am not in misery. Then her taking me out or not is not the point. The point is that I love the way she reasons. And yes help me beg her to accept my application. And stop thinking like a fowl by talking about reaping and sowing as am very willing to start sowing into the life of the op right away if thats what it takes .Its rare to find sensible humble women these days and i appreciate one enough when i see her to apply. Abi are you jealous? grin If you dont know better woman me i know them by the way they reason.
Hehehe....look at this hungry parasite throwing insults.am sure you didn't read where I said it was a joke.honestly,I actually thought you were even joking not until now,how pathetic low life can you be.
So upon the very many smart and beautiful young ladies in Nigeria,it's one faceless character that may even be older than your mama or who belong into LGBT family in America you are in love with.you are a typical example of a lazy Nigeria youth.get serious with your life.

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 5:04am On May 14, 2018
princfred:
embarassed See wetin grown up dey ask and una say Nigeria get hope to develop. Or is it that the NL dont have age filter or small IQ test like captcha test before sign up? Abeg ask the op am not good at teaching kids.

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 5:09am On May 14, 2018
Affordablerent:
This thread is funny. Someone calls herself "theamerican" opens thread to abuse Nigeria and ask people to tear their passport. Some people jump on her bandwagon and start following their leader's advice. It's the same thing as collecting money to vote without knowing if the person can lead well. I'm sure they will PM the babe to send invitation letter to them. Whether good or bad it's a perception. If I say Nigeria is good to me like some are saying, it's not anybody's business, it doesn't make them selfish, just like you feel Nigeria is bad to you should not make you selfish, you are only being real. But here if someone says Nigeria is good to him, people will become angry and start attacking instead of asking the person to show them the way. Do you think everybody is poor? it's not possible. Learn from others, when a guy say it's good for him, ask him what he does and learn but here they will write long letter to convince you that it's bad, it must be bad for you to satisfy them. Are you in their shoes?

You can easily spot a TYPICAL NIGERIAN by their Mentality.

4 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 5:20am On May 14, 2018
reDazey:

Well, like you mentioned a civil servant relying on only salary is akin to a pauper. Are you aware that civil servants in Nigeria, under the law are only allowed to farm. You can do the math. After working 8am-5pm on weekdays, when do you get to do the farm work? Who are we fooling?

Why would everyone in Nigeria not have access to 33kvA lines? Why do I have to search for it. Or be special to have access to it. My dear, you don't get the thrust of this discussion. If there is rule of law, equality and justice, most people in Nigeria should have access to the basic necessities of life and should not be connected or "oversharp" to get it.

Most people making it in Nigeria have to be selfish. It is the way it is. You have to find a way to owe salaries, or reduce salaries of your workers. You can evade taxes. You can do anything you want in Nigeria and go scot-free. For some individuals, that is the joy of being in Nigeria, the possibilities of getting away with breaking the law. Oh yeah, I have heard this being discussed as one of the perks of being a Nigerian. Ever wondered why MMM thrived in Nigeria? Selfishness. Many persons closed their eyes to the notion behind that PONZI. The rich dubiously taking from the poor to become richer and leaving the poor poorer. That is the reflection of our socioeconomic life in Nigeria.

On your last paragraph, obviously, you did not read that from me. So I have nothing to say on that.

In conclusion, if someone wants to leave Nigeria to a saner country, where there is orderliness, it is his/her choice. Everyone cannot survive here. For those who are making it here, well done.

I will Implore u to please leave this TYPICAL NIGERIANS alone. No matter how much u try to tutor them...It will always be fruitless. That's the way they are Programmed. NB:You don't need hating on them, I just smile at every encounter with them because I might still be needing their assistance in the future.

5 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 5:27am On May 14, 2018
EMMAACHILE:
@reDazey
I understand your point. Is Nigeria suppose to be the way it is? NO

Can it be improved? YES

The topic of this thread is whether moving abroad is worth it.

Is moving abroad worth it? It depends on the individual involved imo.

If you have a low income, Nigeria is a no no. But for those earning above 500k per month, it doesn't look wise to start afresh abroad.
Some will still move and make it better while resigning their jobs with 1m naira per month. Others will regret the move like the girl from Canada posted earlier in the week.

I always tell people learn a skill and be self employed. That's the best way to survive worldwide.

Now this sounds very good.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 6:04am On May 14, 2018
philip0906:

You are desperately trying to paint Nigeria in a good light going as far as claiming "MOST OF THE THINGS YOU WROTE THERE ARE HAPPENING IN THOSE COUNTRIES YOU DREAM OF ".So the American political elite loot their treasury to the detriment if it's citizenry and the other issues I highlighted there undecided No Country is eutopia but trying to put the United States and Nigeria on the same pedestal, is an insult on people's intelligence.

Lol...Millionaires bla bla bla. Here's what you said up there "i ask people what SUCCESS means to them,am sure it means different things depending on their situations ".
So you think it's everyone who wants to be "millionaires"? You think that is the reason why everyone is bailing out? At least, you should learn from your own words grin
With your green card on one hand, you are aiming for the Nigerian millionaire status on the other hand. Smart you grin. A lot of us also have that same plan. Let us be. What is good for you, should also be good for all. A green card and the Nigerian millionaire status grin

What is good for the goose is also good for the gander Chikenah.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 6:16am On May 14, 2018
peacengine:

Is it not same America that they are doing "Black lives matter" due to killing of blacks by white cops?
You mentioned no one coming to your aid as a Nigerian abroad, are you not informed that the govt has been sending planes to pick up stranded Nigerians from Lybiia?
You have relocated abroad that's good baby but you haven't given any valid points yet, I don't think you are working becos of time u spend here. If you are being paid per hour by this time you should be busy at work na

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 6:27am On May 14, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
Thanks all the same for your response...There's no point insulting anyone here,it's a faceless forum and there are lots of kids here as well as those witht no real life experience..they are the bunch of people you will likely find on this type of thread.
You see your thread headline is misleading or you are unknowingly derailing your own thread because you didn't focus on the subject matter.
I wanted to see what makes your life so beautiful in America,your accomplishments,your real story,experiences and all that,or is that not what memoirs is all about ??.you ahould.focus on what works in the US because thats what people back home want to see,they already know whats not working in nigeria anyway,no need reminding them again.mere focusing more on what's not working in Nigeria is abusing the purpose of the thread.
The point I try to make all along is that US vs Nigeria is a mismatch same thing you will say about Nigeria vs Burundi or Somalia.
US is first world country while Nigeria is second world where the likes of somalia are regarded as third world.while US has a budget estimate of $4T,Nigeria has $25b and the likes of somalia has like $4b....the level of developments can't be the same ..that's the point.so the same way a typical Nigerian would prefer the US over Nigeria is same way a Somali would prefer Nigeria over somalia.
In the end,simple reasoning would prevail that,if you can't be part of the solution don't be part of the problem.

I can bet Nigeria can match that of US budget figure as an Oil producing nation but with the current level of corruption, Perhaps under a Spell too, Reverse is the case.

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 6:40am On May 14, 2018
Turkeelex:

I can bet Nigeria can match that of US budget figure as an Oil producing nation but with the current level of corruption, Perhaps under a Spell too, Reverse is the case.
No nation can survive on a single natural resources only,they need human resources too.majority of the revenues those developed countries use to fund their budgets are from the citizens.their taxes and other obligations to their governments which sadly is not the case here.it's well..

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 7:04am On May 14, 2018
THINKING ALOUD.......

When the OP created a thread with the title..is life abroad worths the stress and hype .ordinarily her memoirs was expected to answer that but let's just say it's a general question,the responses I read here are nauseating to say the least,the main reason people are giving is that of oh Nigeria is bad bla bla bla..and I asked myself,how did we get here?.you see we youths have all failed the nation.we have decided to tow the path of consumers instead of producers,we all want to eat of the National cake and all others with no contributions ,take for an example;during election period,we are no where part of the process (the America we talk about today,their youths fully participate in their electioneering process),we don't belong or affiliated to any political group or parties,we don't go to local council or ward meetings where we can influence manifestos,government policies and programs and few of us that managed to get a voters card see an election day as public holiday....a happy day where we unwind and watch football,we can't stand on the sun or stay on the long queue,we are conducting our own election on Twitter and nairaland,we see stuffs like "click like for Buhari and share for Atiku)).the market women are there in the queue, voting and electing one of their own into office and we are here complainin things are not moving right.until we change our mentality and be a stakeholders in the Nigeria project, I doubt if can ever get it right.

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by princfred(m): 7:51am On May 14, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
Hehehe....look at this hungry parasite throwing insults.am sure you didn't read where I said it was a joke.honestly,I actually thought you were even joking not until now,how pathetic low life can you be.
So upon the very many smart and beautiful young ladies in Nigeria,it's one faceless character that may even be older than your mama or who belong into LGBT family in America you are in love with.you are a typical example of a lazy Nigeria youth.get serious with your life.
Who needs sick jokes from a mental midget or gives one? Now, you have to spew up every negative to ascribe to her with little or no evidence just to display your sh*ty mind. Even if she belongs to any of those but reasons like she does - a hundred fold more civilized and wise, she is still better than you even if you are straight but an imbec*le. Abi you want to deceive me so you can go track her later? You done fail.

4 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by orimahspence: 8:04am On May 14, 2018
As narrated to by a friend, he is a naturalized uk citizen

POWER CUT IN UK

When I moan, kick and curse, it’s because I believe we deserve better in Nigeria. We are not beneath oyinbo; they don’t have special brain � or more human than us. They are just better organised, serious, and love their country.

I woke up today at about 7.45am to discover that ‘NEPA’ had taken power. I checked everywhere, then the meter. The meter’s panel was blank. I knew it must be something serious. I was not sure if the neighbours had power.

Since there was no power, no WIFI. But I have mobile data on my phone. So I googled ‘Power Cut.’ I saw something about the U.K. power network. It says call 150 if there’s power cut. I did. The pleasant customer service apologised and checked their system after I gave her post code. She explained that it’s the second phone call from my area. She apologised again and told me engineers will be around the area around 8.30am. I gave my phone number and she promised to update me as progress is made.

Few minutes to 9, I got texts that the fault is from a substation and they are working at it. They promise to restore power by 10-11am.

11am, there was a knock on my door. “Sir, it’s a major fault, we don’t know if we would be able to finish today, though we are working had at it. It’s an underground cable problem; we need to dig the roads.”

“But, we shall be connecting you to a generator so you can have power while we sort out the problem.”

I didn’t bribe NEPA. They apologised profusely for invading my privacy and having to pass generator cables through my letter hole.

Am I impressed? Well, not really. I have lived here long enough to be conditioned to expect things like this.

It is all about conditioning. If you are conditioned in a shithole, your expectation is shithole. You become a mediocre. You hail idiots for giving you 3 hours power every other day. It’s not your fault. You are a product of crap �, your expectation is crap.

I was once like you. Ignore all the boasting. Before I saw a different way of life, I thought shithole is sweeter than strawberry �.��

My guy, when we tell you to raise your expectations, we are not mocking you. It’s because we also want you to experience living life. Your life in a shithole is not the best. We can make Nigeria better for all of us. We only need to crush the rogues and stop hailing them. They are your enemies. The hardship we face is down to every single one of them.

It’s 9.02pm, it has been raining all day and the engineers in front of my house are still working to fix my power. They worked in the rain all through.

And I’m still enjoying free power from their generator. ��

I am not even a Senator. I’m just a bloody Babaloja from Wakanda.

But every single citizen/resident, from the lowest to the highest enjoy the same privilege.

This is what I hope for in Nigeria. And we must work and fight for it.

It’s a war between us and those filthy supporters of crooks and rogues. We must crush them.

43 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by princfred(m): 8:37am On May 14, 2018
orimahspence:

POWER CUT IN UK

When I moan, kick and curse, it’s because I believe we deserve better in Nigeria. We are not beneath oyinbo; they don’t have special brain � or more human than us. They are just better organised, serious, and love their country.

I woke up today at about 7.45am to discover that ‘NEPA’ had taken power. I checked everywhere, then the meter. The meter’s panel was blank. I knew it must be something serious. I was not sure if the neighbours had power.

Since there was no power, no WIFI. But I have mobile data on my phone. So I googled ‘Power Cut.’ I saw something about the U.K. power network. It says call 150 if there’s power cut. I did. The pleasant customer service apologised and checked their system after I gave her post code. She explained that it’s the second phone call from my area. She apologised again and told me engineers will be around the area around 8.30am. I gave my phone number and she promised to update me as progress is made.

Few minutes to 9, I got texts that the fault is from a substation and they are working at it. They promise to restore power by 10-11am.

11am, there was a knock on my door. “Sir, it’s a major fault, we don’t know if we would be able to finish today, though we are working had at it. It’s an underground cable problem; we need to dig the roads.”

“But, we shall be connecting you to a generator so you can have power while we sort out the problem.”

I didn’t bribe NEPA. They apologised profusely for invading my privacy and having to pass generator cables through my letter hole.

Am I impressed? Well, not really. I have lived here long enough to be conditioned to expect things like this.

It is all about conditioning. If you are conditioned in a shithole, your expectation is shithole. You become a mediocre. You hail idiots for giving you 3 hours power every other day. It’s not your fault. You are a product of crap �, your expectation is crap.

I was once like you. Ignore all the boasting. Before I saw a different way of life, I thought shithole is sweeter than strawberry �.��

My guy, when we tell you to raise your expectations, we are not mocking you. It’s because we also want you to experience living life. Your life in a shithole is not the best. We can make Nigeria better for all of us. We only need to crush the rogues and stop hailing them. They are your enemies. The hardship we face is down to every single one of them.

It’s 9.02pm, it has been raining all day and the engineers in front of my house are still working to fix my power. They worked in the rain all through.

But every single citizen/resident, from the lowest to the highest enjoy the same privilege.

It’s a war between us and those filthy supporters of crooks and rogues. We must crush them.
May God bless your brain more. For acknowledging better thing.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by princfred(m): 8:37am On May 14, 2018
orimahspence:

POWER CUT IN UK

May God bless your brain more. Joor. For acknowledging better thing.

5 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 8:53am On May 14, 2018
orimahspence:

POWER CUT IN UK

This is the standard you see in almost all western nations, the system is setup to make sure citizens and residents are well catered for, I have alot to say in this regard but I will save it for another day, you don't need to go far, Togo, Benin Republic, Mali, Gambia, Senegal, Ghana all have efficient and effective power systems, they are smaller countries though but I believe any government or system that fails to provide the basic necessities and infrastructures for its citizens, has no business been in power cool

9 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 9:04am On May 14, 2018
princfred:
Who needs sick jokes from a mental midget or gives one? Now, you have to spew up every negative to ascribe to her with little or no evidence just to display your sh*ty mind. Even if she belongs to any of those but reasons like she does - a hundred fold more civilized and wise, she is still better than you even if you are straight but an imbec*le.
This is a faceless forum,nobody knows anybody here.I couldn't have insulted someone I don't know.you are LAZY,go find job.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 9:22am On May 14, 2018
orimahspence:

POWER CUT IN UK

We are living in self denial if we continue to compare Nigeria with the likes of US and co.first we don't have the resources they have and no government can do much without adequate funding,take for an example, US proposed budget for infrastructures alone is in excess of $1trillion.most of these infrastructures are only in the transportation sector only(.road,airport,ports and railways) but Nigeria is struggling to spend mere $25billion on a whole budget.
Secondly,their citizens love themselves, they love their countries,they are patriotics but we are not,remember most of these services are run by private entities with no inputs from theIr governments,yet they give excellent services.for example my money is still stuck with Arik airline since last year from my mum aborted trip from new York,no apology no refund nothin.this can't happen in the US.the citizens need to help the government succeed else we would keep having same conversation from one generation to another.
I love the bolded,that's the way to go.

5 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by princfred(m): 9:23am On May 14, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
This is a faceless forum,nobody knows anybody here.I couldn't have insulted someone I don't know.you are LAZY,go find job.
Abi you want to deceive me so you can go track her later? You done fail. You just attempted that insult by ascribing every negative your sh*ty brain could come up with on her. Everyone is not lazy like you and Buhari.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 9:29am On May 14, 2018
princfred:
Abi you want to deceive me so you can go track her later? You done fail. You just attempted that insult by ascribing every negative your sh*ty brain could come up with on her. Everyone is not lazy like you and Buhari.
cheesy
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by princfred(m): 9:30am On May 14, 2018
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by princfred(m): 9:32am On May 14, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
We are living in self denial if we continue to compare Nigeria with the likes of US and co.first we don't have the resources they have and no government can do much without adequate funding,take for an example, US proposed budget for infrastructures alone is in excess of $1trillion.most of these infrastructures are only in the transportation sector only(.road,airport,ports and railways) but Nigeria is struggling to spend mere $25billion on a whole budget.
Secondly,their citizens love themselves, they love their countries,they are patriotics but we are not,remember most of these services are run by private entities with no inputs from theIr governments,yet they give excellent services.for example my money is still stuck with Arik airline since last year from my mum aborted trip from new York,no apology no refund nothin.this can't happen in the US.the citizens need to help the government succeed else we would keep having same conversation from one generation to another.
I love the bolded,that's the way to go.
So you know all these before then why were you talking as if you no know?

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 10:21am On May 14, 2018
princfred:
And who told you am single and looking for sugar mummy??..but since you sound so serious,I will help you beg her as you said hopefully she can give a desperado like you some chance .lols
It's obvious you are hungry that's why you are angry over harmless joke. OK if you can find your way to Abuja before weds,may be I can do something about your situation.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by princfred(m): 11:11am On May 14, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
And who told you am single and looking for sugar mummy??..but since you sound so serious,I will help you beg her as you said hopefully she can give a desperado like you some chance .lols
It's obvious you are hungry that's why you are angry over harmless joke. OK if you can find your way to Abuja before weds,may be I can do something about your situation.
This your obsession with hunger is telling more about your state than mine. No evidence that she is an old woman yet upon the fact you claim not to be given to insults, you fixate on that. Also what stops me from being her friend even if she is old as long as her orientation gives me joy?

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by fabyom: 12:09pm On May 14, 2018
Now you are talking bro. It is a mess we all need to join hand and make it right. Sowore is back, durotoye is here. Don't stay too long bro,we need you here. It is time for all of us to take our country back. Yes! We can but it will not be easy. Let us do it for our children, for posterity. The time of running away and living a so called comfort life with your nuclear and extended family should come to an end. Let us live for humanity, for our nation. Thank you
orimahspence:

POWER CUT IN UK

4 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 3:23pm On May 14, 2018
princfred:
So you know all these before then why were you talking as if you no know?

Lol.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 4:22pm On May 14, 2018
This post below summarizes it. Before you make that move, weigh your options. Hope to meet Theamerican one day. tongue

bigfrancis21:

First off, life in America is not all beds of roses. Now, I am going to be plain and direct with you about life in America and tell it to you as it is. I am not wont to give off the impression of America as heaven on earth while actually the reality in the same 'heaven' is the opposite for many people living here. As a new immigrant to this country, basically you are starting life afresh and you would need between 2 to 5 years to be able to stand on your feet in this country and this includes sorting out your permanent residency status (many people get married to a PRdent or citizen, join the US army and become a citizen immediately thereby bypassing the green card step but joining the army requires signing about 6 years of contract with them, or obtain their PR by doing business and investing up to $500,000 or $1,000,000 depending on the type of business or by refugee/asylum status etc.) and this could take about a year or two to achieve, going back to school here in the US to obtain a US degree (our Nigerian degrees are not usually recognized here and to land well-paying jobs in corporate america, as an immigrant you would need to obtain a US degree and any attendant certifications where and when necessary - be prepared to go back to school again here in the US, establishing a credit history for yourself (I cannot overemphasize the importance of starting early as soon as one gets to America to start building one's credit history as this is the key to so many doors of opportunity in this country) etc. and it takes at least a year or 2 to have satisfactory credit history and a good score, adapting to the American culture, learning Americans and their ways of thinking and doing things etc. America has a high taxation rate, especially for employees. The tax rate can be very high especially if you're single. To give you an example, from a paycheck of $1,500 for 2 weeks of work (here you are paid biweekly and not once every month end like in Nigeria), about $400 is deducted in form of federal taxes, state taxes etc. leaving you with about $1,100. Or out of an annual yearly salary of $70,000, your actual take home pay would be about $46,000 as a single individual, with about $24,000 paid to Uncle Sam as taxes. Now, if you're married or you have kids, the tax rate is lower.

America is a beautiful country with an efficiently working system and well advanced technology in almost every facet of life. The weather is adorable such that within a year of staying here you begin to notice changes on your skin (with sunshine for only about 3 to 4 months of the entire year and cold/rain/snow for the remainder of the year, your skin begins to produce less and less of melanin pigment). The economy is robust such that without a university degree, there are lots of jobs for you to survive on but there is only an extent to how much you can make compared to having a US university degree. Food here is cheap and with $100 you can eat comfortably per month, especially if you cook at home. There is constant electricity 24/7 and you never have to worry about there being no light when you get home at night after a long stressful day. Water runs steadily at home - both hot and cold, and the choice is yours to use depending on the weather. Almost all homes are equipped with heaters and ACs such that you enjoy the best of summer and winter weathers. The system here works in so many ways. Depending on the state, there is often a minimum wage that is paid, and this ensures that nobody is unfairly underpaid in any work they do. Oh, did I forget the yearly tax returns? Did you know that every year you are required to file what they call a tax return, which is basically Uncle Sam's (nickname for the IRS) way of ensuring that everyone is paying their fair share of taxes and you are refunded some or all of Federal or/and state taxes you paid for the previous year which could amount to $1,000s? The internet service here is very fast with wi-fi in almost every house, on campus, some restaurants and fast food joints etc. There is much more enforced security and you can be sure of police arriving at your house in less than 5 minutes when you dial 911. The United States Postal Services works such that you barely have the need to use courier services except for international packages. The roads are all well-built with very few potholes here and there to ensure that your car lasts you quite a while. Needless to say, life in America is very comfortable but this comfort comes at a huge price. It is not for free neither is it cheap.

On the flip side, nothing in America is free. Every freebie you enjoy is accounted for in this country. You pay for every social amenity you enjoy down to the very little of it. Out of your biweekly paychecks per month you pay for your rent (or mortgage if you bought the house), light bill, water bill, gas bill (for cooking and for the house heater depending on the house type), internet bill, cable TV bill, monthly phone bill (phone service in this country is based on month to month subscription and for any month you do not pay or renew your subscription, your line is totally cut off and you're disconnected from friends and family. This is in reverse to what we have in Nigeria whereby if you don't have money to recharge credit on your phone, your line still remains connected for as long as 6 months and you don't have to worry about any monthly subscription fees whatsoever), bus transportation fares or car loan monthly payments (if you purchased your car on loan), gas/fuel for your car, feeding, miscellaneous etc. With little or nothing left after paying all these bills per month, you'd realize that you need to savings of your own. Then you have your relatives and friends back home asking you to send them dollars that afterall you're picking dollars from the streets.

To sum it up, you must have to work or be hardworking at whatever that you do to keep enjoying the social amenities that you enjoy. The system has been designed in such a way with several avenues that take the money away from you as you earn it, thus keeping you entrenched in the system.

Now, who are those I strongly recommend to come to the US? Those people who have very little or nothing going for them in Nigeria. People who work quite hard but have very little or no hopes of making it in Nigeria, people who have very little hopes of achieving, at least, a middle class life - a house, a nice car, a good job etc. in Nigeria. For such people, I strongly recommend them to come to the US. Please come over with any opportunity that you can get. Perhaps with hard work, you would get to live in a middle class style home that you've always wanted, drive new cars and models of your choice (most times on car auto loan with payment plan to pay back the bank or loan lender), have an above-average income job, enjoy the social amenities of America, etc. That is just about it, nothing more nothing less.

For those who already have a system working for them in Nigeria such as a successful business or a well-paying job with huge benefits today or sometime down the line, packing up your bags, abandoning a system already working for you and coming to the US would be your greatest folly. For this set of people, I would not recommend abandoning a system already working greatly for you just for the sake of going to obodo oyibo. With such system working for you, you could comfortably afford to visit the US at your leisure, come shopping in the US, etc. and still get to have a taste of American life while still having your system back home running for you. You get to taste the best of both worlds.

As for Canada, the economy of Canada is not as robust as that of the US. Yes, getting your PR in Canada is easier than that of the US however there are fewer jobs in Canada than in the US. There are many Nigerians that have finished their graduate studies in Canada and even with their PR (permanent residency), they are yet to find jobs in their field of study because jobs are scarce. In both US and Canada, just like in Nigeria, the oil market sector has slumped and oil companies have been laying off workers and there's currently a hiring freeze.

My suggestion to you would be to get a study leave with pay, or even without pay, to go to Canada to do your masters. DO NOT resign from your job before leaving. Get a study leave before coming, such that while doing your masters in Canada you get to study the economy and market here and if you decide to remain behind, you can then resign from your job. If after completing your MS you see that returning to Nigeria is a better option for you, you still have your job secured for you and you could always visit the US and/or Canada for vacation.

With all of these said, it is left to you to evaluate your situation and see where you stand. The ball is in your court and the decision is yours. I ji ji, jide mma (you hold the yam and also the knife, meaning you how you choose to cut the yam is your decision to make). Cheers.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 4:25pm On May 14, 2018
The posts I expect to see on nairaland next are what are the best countries to study and work? I still say the best people are those who are skilled on their own and not those seeking for employment. Survival will be very easy especially those armed with online skills.

4 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 4:33pm On May 14, 2018
I have tried my best so far to stay clear of the incompetence of the politicians and instead focus on the average Nigerian citizen to show how deep rooted the problem is.

For a while now, there's been talk of "no paper" for people who wanna get passports. Before you come here to quote GDP, and how Nigeria is the giant of Africa, how long does it take to fix a problem like that? Did they not foresee this issue and arrest it before it got to this stage?

Now, everyone is using that as a way to take advantage of people. There's no paper for passport until you're willing to bribe and pay more money lol. The average Nigerian will laugh at you for trying to get your passport the proper way and call you stupid/stingy/poor for not paying the extra 5k/10k to get it in 5 days through the back door.

Drivers will break the law and pass one-way and get applauded for being "smart". Immigration officers will make you miss your flight in Nigeria because you refuse to bribe them and people will call you stupid for not being "sharp". When you complain, they'd sweep it under the carpet or even laugh at you and say idiotic things like "welcome to Naija" or "You're still JJC".

Who has been to Yaba to buy clothes? Have you seen how those sellers grope women, call them names and abuse them just for buying or not buying things? Complain and a retard would tell you "you should have gone to a boutique to buy clothes na, shebi you're forming big girl".

You don't even need to go far. On this thread alone, you can see how some people think lol. Nigerians are not ready for change/improvement.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 4:35pm On May 14, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 4:56pm On May 14, 2018
Passports are available in Lokoja and you get it same day. Maybe Lagos and Abuja, I don't know. It's not a general problem.
What I know is that if you apply online to get it, the immigration office will not recognise it.
I asked the officers why it is so the last time I went there and I was told to apply online and see the outcome.
Nigeria is still an analog country with most workers still in the analog years. The country needs to embrace technology to catch up with others.

I know of two students who returned back from Sweden and another two from Finland who couldn't survive there after graduation. No work apart from menial newspaper distribution jobs or cleaning (God forbid) and the only option was to port back to Nigeria.
Almost N10 million on each of them gone down the drain. I told them with a skill, they may not have returned.

Aim for self employment and the sky will be your limit. With technological skills, one can still survive even in expensive Zurich!

4 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (38) (Reply)

Giant Cobra Killed And Swallowed Huge Python In Philippines(Photos) / Some Funny Slangs Used In Warri / Dead Bodies From The Helicopter Crash In Lagos (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 156
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.