Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,481 members, 7,830,424 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:52 PM

Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. - Travel (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (93292 Views)

Memoirs From Chile / Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 7:15pm On May 18, 2018
peacengine:
The OP is depressed. I'm a psychologist
A psychologist??...you are a clown.

5 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 18, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
A psychologist??...you are a clown.
Lol

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 7:28pm On May 18, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
When you make vague statements,you would expect people to take different positions from you,all cannot sleep and face one direction.sometimes I wonder if you understand your own writings at times..you gave an instance and ended with Nigeria because it was your focus of attack.
I asked simple question,what law(s) do you think should be in place to protect her from the "crazy situation" that are readily available in the US but not in Nigeria??.what is the "crazy situation" here??.
Thought you brought it up for discussion.

If you don't understand something, ask "what do you mean?". It's not very difficult. I'll answer your question. In the event that things go south, he cheats and his family try to frustrate/chase her out... grin grin grin

She can't be forced out. He'll have to divorce her properly. Adultery is a crime in many states to start with. The wife will prove adultery and you know who the court is gonna protect in that situation. Father remains obliged (see? not a choice) for the well-being of the girls (child support, seeing them, etc.), and who knows? Maybe alimony for the wife, shared/joint custody, etc. sharing properties, or worst case scenario, the government gives assistance to the woman if the guy's financially incapable. The day he becomes financially capable, they'll go after him. These are examples of things in place. I could go on and on.

Not only are these things in place, they are strictly enforced! And before you think it's a feminist attack on men, it cuts both ways too. Women share their properties their husbands, pay alimony, etc. too.

Now that I've cleared that up and you see what I'm trying to say, tell me what's in place in Nigeria that protects her in that scenario... and tell me how it's enforced.

4 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 7:40pm On May 18, 2018
theamerican:

What's wrong with driving taxis, working in burger King or in the mortuary? A job is a job as long as they're not doing anything illegal. Do you know how much the hardworking Uber/Lyft drivers can make in Texas? My friends doing it full-time make a minimum of $1300 weekly.

$1,300 Weekly * 4 = $5,200.

Okay wait, so how much is their Rent + Feeding + Flex money? How much do they save?
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 7:43pm On May 18, 2018
SAMBHOSS:
theamerican

thumbs up.....love the way you buttress your points..

at least....of all things you've listed out....I've come to the realization that without a proper working system in a country.....would saying "there's no hope" be an overstatement?

a WORKING system
a WORKING system

Lol. I'm guessing you had to write "working system" more than once so people don't read your comment and still miss the point.

I don't think saying "no hope" is an overstatement. Personally, I don't think there's any hope anytime soon and God knows I really wanna be proved wrong.

9 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 7:51pm On May 18, 2018
cruchenutii:

$1,300 Weekly * 4 = $5,200.

Okay wait, so how much is their Rent + Feeding + Flex money? How much do they save?

Lol. I have no idea what their budgets are or how they spend their money. They showed me their earnings and that's what I know. I know they mentioned claiming tax cuts (don't know what the right term is) by miles driven and they say they sometimes owe the government tax at the end of the year since they're "self employed". They also have to buy health insurance/car insurance out of pocket. So... they have their expenses too.

What I know is I saw their earnings. Hustling igbo boys. Friday Morning to Saturday evening alone, they can make $800.

13 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by CastedAyo: 8:37pm On May 18, 2018
signature2012:

Check yourself.
I swear cheesy
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 11:15pm On May 18, 2018
theamerican:

If you don't understand something, ask "what do you mean?". It's not very difficult. I'll answer your question. In the event that things go south, he cheats and his family try to frustrate/chase her out... grin grin grin

She can't be forced out. He'll have to divorce her properly. Adultery is a crime in many states to start with. The wife will prove adultery and you know who the court is gonna protect in that situation. Father remains obliged (see? not a choice) for the well-being of the girls (child support, seeing them, etc.), and who knows? Maybe alimony for the wife, shared/joint custody, etc. sharing properties, or worst case scenario, the government gives assistance to the woman if the guy's financially incapable. The day he becomes financially capable, they'll go after him. These are examples of things in place. I could go on and on.

Not only are these things in place, they are strictly enforced! And before you think it's a feminist attack on men, it cuts both ways too. Women share their properties their husbands, pay alimony, etc. too.

Now that I've cleared that up and you see what I'm trying to say, tell me what's in place in Nigeria that protects her in that scenario... and tell me how it's enforced.

Let me answer you this way,the way you bring US vs NIG issue is funny,if it's a law and it's working in US,then it must be a law that's working also in Nigeria without considering the variables such as level of education,religion,cultural and tribal differences,(customary laws still exist in Nigeria) you should think of that too.
Adultery is a criminal offence in Nigeria and it's enforced more than it is in the US (hope you never forget sharia law dey sha),also those other protective laws you mentioned above are also laws in Nigeria though they don't really enforce them that much but it is changing now.there are many social advocacy groups in Nigeria who take up some of these issues on behalf of those that are not privileged.Also,with current exposure to western cultures,sadly people are taking up those fights real good now.people should just know their rights and limitations period.
My believe is just that couples shouldn't see marriage as competition with the mindsets of what to gain should in case things go south as you said,there should be a lot of compromise and balance.reason we have many marriages crashing as quick as they start these days due to over exposure to western cultures.am not against western cultures though,they have the good,bad and ugly sides too.
Wish to say more,I dey drive.

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 6:43am On May 19, 2018
theamerican:

Lol. I'm guessing you had to write "working system" more than once so people don't read your comment and still miss the point.

I don't think saying "no hope" is an overstatement. Personally, I don't think there's any hope anytime soon and God knows I really wanna be proved wrong.
There's hope when we start to do what others in the "working system" do.its just a natural law of success;you reap what you sow.
Let the change begins (not wishful thinking but in practice).with us.#littleThingMatters##LetsDoItRight#.

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by rs172(m): 12:14pm On May 19, 2018
AngelicBeing:
This is the standard you see in almost all western nations, the system is setup to make sure citizens and residents are well catered for, I have alot to say in this regard but I will save it for another day, you don't need to go far, Togo, Benin Republic, Mali, Gambia, Senegal, Ghana all have efficient and effective power systems, they are smaller countries though but I believe any government or system that fails to provide the basic necessities and infrastructures for its citizens, has no business been in power cool

you don't even need to talk much, currently i'm running a programme in Benin republic, i was amazed the first time i came to Cotonou, from the border to the main cotonou nothing like pot hole on the road, stable light, water nko. each houses in Benin has it water meter and connections, every thing is just organised here, i always had this Believe that if not Naija.. it ain't no nation oo.. Menn i don't even stress myself here, i can wake up 7:30am n get to my destination early..

7 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 12:48pm On May 19, 2018
The Nigeria system offers no one nothing. I regretted not going to eastern Europe with my friends for my university education when the opportunity came. Now they've graduated and are doing great in Canada and American. Although I got to study a course pharmacy to be precise from GSU which is many people's dream here but the Nigerian system is just rubbish right from the classroom down to practice.
I'm now trying to make my way to Australia though finance is a major challenge. I'm even looking for someone to send me invitation letter then I can find my way once I'm there.
Nothing is working in this ssh it hole especially under Buhari. My advice to anyone is to forget about this patriotic thing... Nigeria don't know anything like that. Ours is a nation where competence and hard work have no reward but slaughtered or sacrificed on the table of tribalism, nepotism, favouritism and so many other things... A nation of double standards. I've been a victim of it and so my dad.
For the future of your unborn kids if you can raise that money to migrate do it and jand.
My worries over the past few months is the fact that the people making their way out of Nigeria now are good working class people earning between 700k to 1M per month. My boss earns nothing less than 2M in a month but he's also on his way out of the pupu hole. This goes further to tell you the type of country we're leaving in.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by peacengine(m): 2:00pm On May 19, 2018
DABMarkNig2019:
The Nigeria system offers no one nothing. I regretted not going to eastern Europe with my friends for my university education when the opportunity came. Now they've graduated and are doing great in Canada and American. Although I got to study a course pharmacy to be precise from GSU which is many people's dream here but the Nigerian system is just rubbish right from the classroom down to practice.
I'm now trying to make my way to Australia though finance is a major challenge. I'm even looking for someone to send me invitation letter then I can find my way once I'm there.
Nothing is working in this ssh it hole especially under Buhari. My advice to anyone is to forget about this patriotic thing... Nigeria don't know anything like that. Ours is a nation where competence and hard work have no reward but slaughtered or sacrificed on the table of tribalism, nepotism, favouritism and so many other things... A nation of double standards. I've been a victim of it and so my dad.
For the future of your unborn kids if you can raise that money to migrate do it and jand.
My worries over the past few months is the fact that the people making their way out of Nigeria now are good working class people earning between 700k to 1M per month. My boss earns nothing less than 2M in a month but he's also on his way out of the pupu hole. This goes further to tell you the type of country we're leaving in.

RIP ENGLISH....sorry bro

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by hammed71(m): 2:08pm On May 19, 2018
peacengine:

RIP ENGLISH....sorry bro
we got his message sir

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 2:40pm On May 19, 2018
Grupo:

English professor! English is not his native language and not a measure of intelligence, you inglorious bastard!
Chai, Savage, Grupo is freaking angry, I wish you guys can just ignore him, poverty &suffering has a way of impairing once state of mind because, when you see someone calling light darkness and darkness as light, know that dementia has already sets in, what a pity embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Grupo(m): 2:47pm On May 19, 2018
AngelicBeing:
Chai, Savage, Grupo is freaking angry, I wish you guys can just ignore him, poverty &suffering has a way of impairing once state of mind because, when you see someone calling light darkness and darkness as light, know that dementia has already sets in, what a pity embarassed

Could you imagine him casting subtle aspersions on the guy as if English is a measure of intelligence.
Even some native Americans don't speak good English and yet someone in one shitthole is trying to be more catholic than the pope.

My job involves interacting with many Americans and Britons, trust me, many of them don't speak good English. I can share some of my correspondences to prove my point.

Like you mentioned, hardship has reset his brain.

12 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 2:47pm On May 19, 2018
DABMarkNig2019:
I concur with you, most of the politicians presiding over the shithole jungle called Nigeria have a second passport, beginning from Senate president, members of the Senate, house of Representatives, governors / deputy, commissioners, business tycoons etc, they have kept money that will last a lifetime for their families and family members and they can leave the jungle within seconds incase of chaos in the jungle, they don't believe in the nonsense called patroitism, Buhari the so called Messiah and his immediate family members fly out to UK and Germany for health care and zombies are online clapping for them, l laugh in Dutch shocked

7 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 2:49pm On May 19, 2018
Grupo:

Could you imagine him casting subtle aspersions on the guy as if English is a measure of intelligence.
Even some native Americans don't speak good English and yet someone in one shitthole is trying to be catholic than the pope.

My job involves interacting with many Americans and Britons, trust me, many of them don't speak good English. I can share some of my correspondences to prove my point.

Like you mentioned, hardship has reset his brain.
You are absolutely spot on and correct, I got your message and that of the guy the dimwit was casting aspersions on grin
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 2:56pm On May 19, 2018
peacengine:

RIP ENGLISH....sorry bro
I'm sorry too. I was at work so I typed those things hurriedly and out of great annoyance. I don't think English is my problem and outside that not my mother's tongue.
This is a beautiful thread please...let's keep it going not with arguments but sensible contributions

20 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 9:04pm On May 19, 2018
Good to see many opinions on the thread. It's nice to interact with people who have standards and/or can argue with points without insults or calling people names. We all learn to get better.

I remember the day I read the story of a popular pastor who was slapping a church member publicly. How he got away with that will baffle me until I'm dead and buried. There was another one who was standing on people like they were his sheep, One was also playing free-kick and sending anointing with it. lol.

People know their limits, they know where they can get away with nonsense. I wonder what would happen if a G.O came to their branch in the U.S., Canada or U.K for example and slapped someone publicly. Just curious.

4 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 9:16pm On May 19, 2018
DABMarkNig2019:

I've been reading so many stories lately about people who are making a lot of money in Nigeria but giving it all up to migrate. That's a very serious issue that the government should be addressing. Working on improving the country to keep the best heads there but they don't care lol.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 11:03pm On May 19, 2018
theamerican:

I've been reading so many stories lately about people who are making a lot of money in Nigeria but giving it all up to migrate. That's a very serious issue that the government should be addressing. Working on improving the country to keep the best heads there but they don't care lol.
I'm equally worried too. which brain which stay back to develop our country...watching my boss relocate with his family to Canada is breaking me because he's on his way of being a confirmed made man. Even the Indians are not migrating like Nigerians. Majority of those leaving are living very comfortable life over here.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Aquilazng(m): 11:13pm On May 19, 2018
Abjay97:
Thanks for this.. My people, una Don hear am, quit the sh!t hole
As much as I appreciate this op, my take is, if we all run away from our own Land. For who exactly are we leaving it for? And from whom exactly are we running and to whose house are we all running to? Mind you, the abokis are all over Lagos now (lekki,ikoyi,gra Ikeja) etc living Large giving birth to plenty children, populating the land from which the owners have absconded. Don't we all think its highest time we stand up to take our land back instead of being Coward by running? If not for us but for the next generation....

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by philip0906(m): 12:25am On May 20, 2018
Aquilazng:

As much as I appreciate this op, my take is, if we all run away from our own Land. For who exactly are we leaving it for? And from whom exactly are we running and to whose house are we all running to? Mind you, the abokis are all over Lagos now (lekki,ikoyi,gra Ikeja) etc living Large giving birth to plenty children, populating the land from which the owners have absconded. Don't we all think its highest time we stand up to take our land back instead of being Coward by running? If not for us but for the next generation....
If they like, they should over run the whole country, that is their plate of beans. For me, I no come life come follow anybody drag anything. I came to this life to achieve my full potentials(which is obviously not to drag land with aboki) If Nigeria will not make me achieve it, I will leave.

Life is hard already, making it harder than it is, is not an option.

18 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 1:10am On May 20, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
Let me answer you this way,the way you bring US vs NIG issue is funny,if it's a law and it's working in US,then it must be a law that's working also in Nigeria without considering the variables such as level of education,religion,cultural and tribal differences,(customary laws still exist in Nigeria) you should think of that too.
Adultery is a criminal offence in Nigeria and it's enforced more than it is in the US (hope you never forget sharia law dey sha),also those other protective laws you mentioned above are also laws in Nigeria though they don't really enforce them that much but it is changing now.
Wish to say more,I dey drive.

Just wondering...where are the stats on that bolded statement?
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Beautyaddy: 1:24am On May 20, 2018
Deleted
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Beautyaddy: 1:25am On May 20, 2018
Deleted
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Beautyaddy: 1:27am On May 20, 2018
Mobilia:

Just wondering...where are the stats on that bolded statement?

Loooool!!...I hope he really does show us where he got such false stats from. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Andybrown101: 1:41am On May 20, 2018
[quote author=Berliner1 post=66877230]I always tell people, come here legally and u will regret staying in Nigeria.

I will rather say God bless Germany than mentioning Nigeria.

Going on europe tour as if you are going to Ikeja.

Access to free education, plenty student job( averagely €1500=650k per month after tax), many easy way to become a german citizen,free semester ticket( you can travel a whole state 247 without paying kobo.

From nursery school to PhD education in Germany is 100% free for everyone.

Plenty free loan if u want oo....atleast u can get a credit card upto 6k euro=2.5m naira without collateral even as a student, if you are working full time here, plenty loan u can access at a very very low rate from mortgage to car of any brand.

Please where can one get this in Nigeria?

Who ever tell you to stay back in Nigeria is your village member holding u back.

Theres no comparism between heaven and hell fire.

God bless Germany.

Going on world tour in December, any europe based dude interest in co ride can holla.

hey thanks the info....im a fresh graduate and would like to study in germany was kinda disouraged a friend there. what do i really need to do to live Nigeria and probably live and do masters there. i need guidance please

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 1:49am On May 20, 2018
DABMarkNig2019:

I'm equally worried too. which brain which stay back to develop our country...watching my boss relocate with his family to Canada is breaking me because he's on his way of being a confirmed made man. Even the Indians are not migrating like Nigerians. Majority of those leaving are living very comfortable life over here.

I laugh, I'm pretty sure 80% of Indians want to Migrate. They even have an Open Visa Shrine. It's a struggle out there. http://www.india.com/travel/articles/visa-temple-of-hyderabad-the-chilkur-balaji-temple-that-gives-you-visa-power
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-33161672

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (38) (Reply)

Some Funny Slangs Used In Warri / US VISA LOTTERY,DV-2014 Program-online Registration! / The Kainji Dam In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.