Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,997 members, 7,835,343 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (93521 Views)

Memoirs From Chile / Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 6:33pm On May 20, 2018
Mobilia:

I didn't see the Op's thread as being meant to disparage and demean Nigerians...
She was speaking through the lens of being a "naturalized citizen".....and explaining her experiences.
She was happy with her decision...point blank.
She was encouraging others who may want to take the step...
She presented her experience in a very fair manner...
Just so you know...I have "0" clue who she is. My only words to her were what I wrote much earlier to her in the beginning of the thread...

Don't know her from Adam...but what and how she wrote it was so eloquent.
I'm not looking for anything per se on this thread...I just happened to run across it as I look at threads on the Travel Section.
I explore many different sections here on N.L.....and am just soaking in how people relate to one another, how they view the world at large and how daily life is...

I was referring to the adultery statement that you made earlier and about visiting the "states/cities that matter" thing.
I'll have to look back and see about anything else you wrote...cause frankly, (and I must be honest), you were starting to annoy me with your posts here.

Nice meeting you!

I don't

I read this post and smiled. Not because you had nice things to say about me, but because there's a stark difference between how you see things and how the typical patriotic Nigerian may see them.

How many times have I said my posts are subjective opinions? I have to say everyday that I have absolutely no issues with anyone who wants to stay in Nigeria or love how things are there. I don't wanna live there or want my kids to, how's that a crime?

Do you know you don't have to take a driving test to get a drivers license in Nigeria? You can sit in your house, give someone money and they'll come home with your license. Now put that into perspective and imagine the sort of dangers that could cause. I can already imagine the "Accidents also happen in America" counter-arguments.

There are people who drive without license in both countries, People break laws all the time. What happens when they're caught? In Nigeria, just bribe whoever catches you driving without a license, you're back on the road. It's worrying.

13 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by pansophist(m): 7:02pm On May 20, 2018
theamerican:

Do you know you don't have to take a driving test to get a drivers license in Nigeria? You can sit in your house, give someone money and they'll come home with your license. Now put that into perspective and imagine the sort of dangers that could cause. I can already imagine the "Accidents also happen in America" counter-arguments.

This is poignant. The dangers of a corrupt system.

The average Nigerian sees materialism (money, cars, houses) as the goalpost for a good life. The police that collects bribe from reckless driver might lose his child to one, bit he doesn't think about it from this perspective. There is always a backfire effect on corruption. The incompetent public officer that got into public office via nepotism will in due time, disgrace himself publicly (e.g, the Nigerian IGP). It cant be benefited from without exhuming a deficit elsewhere.

Sadly, the world is moving at an accelerated rate. If Nigeria (and largely Africa) won't drop corruption and develop the continent. the adversity will be severe in the next decade. Right now, there is a massive transfer of wealth going on in the country, the citizens are getting poorer, fighting each other and dancing afrobeat to hell, without realizing that there is a reality outside Nigeria and perhaps Africa.

The currency is useless, associated with everything bad, to name a few. This is the inevitable punishment that comes with not developing like the rest of the world. The politician that refuse to develop the country, and the public servant that should put the public interest at heart will realize the painful truth that in other to go far, indeed, you must work together, a lesson that is experienced when one leaves the shore of the country. Lots of big business that will make life easy won't come (e.g PayPal for e-commerce entrepreneurs etc)

My condolence to that country in advance.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Godson201333(m): 7:04pm On May 20, 2018
well this is a nice post and I guess every sane person that live abroad would always meditate about life back home but I do not advise anybody to give up his or her own identity.You can get American passport or whatever passport you want but please don't get provoked with how backward NIgeria is right now.I think the only thing Nigeria society lay more emphasis on is MONEY.If you see someone living abroad and he or she is complaining, its simply because of greed.There is always a huge difference between having access to basic amenities and being rich at the same time poor. Buhari for example remain a poor man cos he need to always travel down to London for medical check up.

5 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Godson201333(m): 7:11pm On May 20, 2018
EMMAACHILE:
One of the limitations in my findings especially Africa is the limitation of a credit card system. Credit cards are good if used for business purposes.
A friend got a €40000 credit limit for a 36 month duration in Finland. Imagine if it was available here in Nigeria.
We are still a long way to go though an Australian man told me there are ways of tapping into the US credit card system from anywhere worldwide.

Many stuff remain unrealistic in Nigeria and in the entire Kingdom of Africa.So you want Nigerians to start using credit card so that can use their dubious altitude to runaway with funds.Nigeria still have a long way to go..Have you ever asked yourself why we only receive foreign funds but cant really send out?

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 20, 2018
Godson201333:

Many stuff remain unrealistic in Nigeria and in the entire Kingdom of Africa.So you want Nigerians to start using credit card so that can use their dubious altitude to runaway with funds.Nigeria still have a long way to go..Have you ever asked yourself why we only receive foreign funds but cant really send out?
That's the sad reality
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Affordablerent: 7:31pm On May 20, 2018
Mobilia:

Thanks...I appreciate this info.

Did you notice that the lady listed the bad things she noticed from the movies she had seen but didn't equally list the good things she also noticed?

Hahaha @ good deal, you will surely get one from me

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 7:49pm On May 20, 2018
Affordablerent:

Did you notice that the lady listed the bad things she noticed from the movies she had seen but didn't equally list the good things she also noticed?

Hahaha @ good deal, you will surely get one from me

I listed things from movies, you classed them as bad. smiley how do you know I don't support early marriages and class it as good? See? Jumping into conclusions.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 9:14pm On May 20, 2018
pansophist:

The average Nigerian sees materialism (money, cars, houses) as the goalpost for a good life. The police that collects bribe from reckless driver might lose his child to one, bit he doesn't think about it from this perspective. There is always a backfire effect on corruption. The incompetent public officer that got into public office via nepotism will in due time, disgrace himself publicly (e.g, the Nigerian IGP). It cant be benefited from without exhuming a deficit elsewhere.

Sadly, the world is moving at an accelerated rate. If Nigeria (and largely Africa) won't drop corruption and develop the continent. the adversity will be severe in the next decade. Right now, there is a massive transfer of wealth going on in the country, the citizens are getting poorer, fighting each other and dancing afrobeat to hell, without realizing that there is a reality outside Nigeria and perhaps Africa.

The currency is useless, associated with everything bad, to name a few. This is the inevitable punishment that comes with not developing like the rest of the world. The politician that refuse to develop the country, and the public servant that should put the public interest at heart will realize the painful truth that in other to go far, indeed, you must work together, a lesson that is experienced when one leaves the shore of the country. Lots of big business that will make life easy won't come (e.g PayPal for e-commerce entrepreneurs etc)

You make really good points. When I say I don't see any hope, it's because the rot is so spread that only God knows how it's going to be fixed. Suppose I get arrested for a crime and the fine is 5000 Naira, the officer who arrests me asks for 500 Naira bribe and he'll let me go. The law says fine is 5k.

If I pay 5k, I'll be called stupid. That 5k may not even go to the account of the government. If I pay 500 Naira, they'll hail me for being sharp/smart but isn't that part of the problem that should be fixed?

Those who want to stay and fix the country, please do (I'll cheer you for your service from afar). I am here in Dallas, I'll be fixing the bad name Nigeria has and be a good example too. To live a good, law-abiding, non-corrupt life and show that not all Nigerians are bad (you should also cheer me for my service) grin see? Win-win for everyone.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by obonujoker(m): 1:03am On May 21, 2018
theamerican:

You make really good points. When I say I don't see any hope, it's because the rot is so spread that only God knows how it's going to be fixed. Suppose I get arrested for a crime and the fine is 5000 Naira, the officer who arrests me asks for 500 Naira bribe and he'll let me go. The law says fine is 5k.

If I pay 5k, I'll be called stupid. That 5k may not even go to the account of the government. If I pay 500 Naira, they'll hail me for being sharp/smart but isn't that part of the problem that should be fixed?

Those who want to stay and fix the country, please do (I'll cheer you for your service from afar). I am here in Dallas, I'll be fixing the bad name Nigeria has and be a good example too. To live a good, law-abiding, non-corrupt life and show that not all Nigerians are bad (you should also cheer me for my service) grin see? Win-win for everyone.

Even when everywhere seems to be dark, there is light....
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by travelland(f): 5:08am On May 21, 2018
One good reason about being Nigerian/West African is that having melanin in your skin is never a taboo. I've never suffered from racism here. Much still needs to be done in terms of increasing our local tourism potential.

4 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Dremca(m): 2:31pm On May 21, 2018
Hell is already filled up, Nigeria is an extension.

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 2:48pm On May 21, 2018
Dremca:
Hell is already filled up, Nigeria is an extension.
Hahaha, you cracked my ribs with this comment, no dull moment on Nairaland grin

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 2:56pm On May 21, 2018
pansophist:

Your last sentence though, Lol at my condolences to the country in advance, I agree with everything you posted here, some countries are planning to go and colonise the red planet called Mars, but Nigeria is struggling to provide the basics for her citizens, provide power, good roads, infrastructures and effective security and see how fast the country will industrialize but as long as the crackheads in government are busy sharing dollars at Abuja, it is indeed, if I borrow your word, my condolences to the country in advance grin

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Mizwisdom(f): 3:04pm On May 21, 2018
travelland:
One good reason about being Nigerian/West African is that having melanin in your skin is never a taboo. I've never suffered from racism here. Much still needs to be done in terms of increasing our local tourism potential.

True words

Do you need books? Send me a PM
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Macaulay10(m): 4:38pm On May 21, 2018
American streets and highways are largely smooth and
most without the pot-holes and craters that riddle most Nigerian roads.

American streets are substantially WIDER than most Nigerian streets, with the exception of those in central Abuja.

It is extremely rare to see large "snow drifts" of trash covering American roads, whereas it is just as rare to see a clean street in Nigeria.

Sewers in Nigeria are OPEN GUTTERS that present mortal danger to pedestrians and vehicles, whereas sewage and drainage systems in the US are entirely underground or fenced off where they can never constitute the death traps found everywhere along Nigerian streets, particularly in major cities.

Vehicle emissions are strictly regulated in the US, but are not a concern in Nigeria so far. This means that large numbers of antiquated vehicles ply Nigerian roads belching out smoke that is thick enough to obscure the view of drivers and cause wrecks. Similarly the Nigerian police do not pull over motorists for having vehicles with no tail lights, adding a substantial risk to Nigerian night driving which does not exist in the US.

You can hop in your car at any hour of the night and share the freeway with numerous other drivers in most parts of the US, whereas Nigerian highways are largely empty at night due to fear of armed robbery ambushes, "police" attacks and unmarked craters or huge tree logs left over from day-time police "check points".

Streets in most US cities are laid out in an orderly rectangular grid which makes navigation very easy, particularly with today's GPS mapping technology found in many new vehicles, In Nigeria the streets are largely random in placement, with numerous un-posted one-way lanes and cul-de-sacs, making navigation a living nightmare for visitors.

Pedestrians and drivers traversing the streets of most American cities are unlikely to be accosted by hordes of pick-pockets, beggars, aggressive street-vendors, and hoodlum gangs, whereas that is the rule and not the exception in Nigeria.

A person being pulled over by the police in the US will reach for their driving license and registration, whereas anyone pulled over in Nigeria had best reach for their wallet, hoping they have enough cash money to avoid a vehicle impound and visit to the police station on trumped-up charges based on non-existent legislation.

Wide pedestrian walkways line most streets in the US, but are a very rare sight in Nigeria outside of Abuja, with the few existing in other towns often fenced off and guarded by road-side businesses, forcing pedestrians to take their chances ducking cars, buses and swarming motor-cycle taxis in what passes for a road.

A person may live in North America for a decade and never experience an electrical power outage, whereas in Nigeria it is rare for the lights to flicker on for so much as a negligible 10 % of the time in any given 24 hour period.

Pay your utility bills in the US and you can be sure your home will be supplied with electricity, CLEAN water and cooking gas on tap. The uninterrupted flow of those basic utilities are remains a wistful fantasy in Nigeria, hopefully to be realized in coming decades for the benefit of generations yet un-born.

Bribes are expected and demanded for even the most mundane rights in most Nigerian government offices, a situation as foreign to American culture as would be the sight a Nigerian-style motorcycle taxi transporting a family of six.

There are virtually NO public toilets in Nigeria, so the sight of men and women defacting and urinating beside the road and in full view of the public is commonplace and routine, a revolting spectacle absolutely unheard of in the US.

Other than these differences, Nigeria and North America are comparable in that there is terrain below and a sky above in both countries.

Note: I haven't traveled out of the country before, the world is now a Global Village where you don't have travel out to know or see this things.

I am preparing for the Gre and Toefl exam, when everything clicks......... I move OUT.

Hell is full, NIGERIA is an extension SITE.

21 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Mizwisdom(f): 6:25pm On May 21, 2018
https://www.nairaland.com/4516598/police-arrests-offa-bank-robbers

Can we take a moment to cheer our police force dor this commendable act.

Orderbooksng@gmail.com
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 7:54pm On May 21, 2018
Macaulay10:

American streets are substantially WIDER than most Nigerian streets, with the exception of those in central Abuja.

It is extremely rare to see large "snow drifts" of trash covering American roads, whereas it is just as rare to see a clean street in Nigeria.

Sewers in Nigeria are OPEN GUTTERS that present mortal danger to pedestrians and vehicles, whereas sewage and drainage systems in the US are entirely underground or fenced off where they can never constitute the death traps found everywhere along Nigerian streets, particularly in major cities.

Vehicle emissions are strictly regulated in the US, but are not a concern in Nigeria so far. This means that large numbers of antiquated vehicles ply Nigerian roads belching out smoke that is thick enough to obscure the view of drivers and cause wrecks. Similarly the Nigerian police do not pull over motorists for having vehicles with no tail lights, adding a substantial risk to Nigerian night driving which does not exist in the US.

You can hop in your car at any hour of the night and share the freeway with numerous other drivers in most parts of the US, whereas Nigerian highways are largely empty at night due to fear of armed robbery ambushes, "police" attacks and unmarked craters or huge tree logs left over from day-time police "check points".

Streets in most US cities are laid out in an orderly rectangular grid which makes navigation very easy, particularly with today's GPS mapping technology found in many new vehicles, In Nigeria the streets are largely random in placement, with numerous un-posted one-way lanes and cul-de-sacs, making navigation a living nightmare for visitors.

Pedestrians and drivers traversing the streets of most American cities are unlikely to be accosted by hordes of pick-pockets, beggars, aggressive street-vendors, and hoodlum gangs, whereas that is the rule and not the exception in Nigeria.

A person being pulled over by the police in the US will reach for their driving license and registration, whereas anyone pulled over in Nigeria had best reach for their wallet, hoping they have enough cash money to avoid a vehicle impound and visit to the police station on trumped-up charges based on non-existent legislation.

Wide pedestrian walkways line most streets in the US, but are a very rare sight in Nigeria outside of Abuja, with the few existing in other towns often fenced off and guarded by road-side businesses, forcing pedestrians to take their chances ducking cars, buses and swarming motor-cycle taxis in what passes for a road.

A person may live in North America for a decade and never experience an electrical power outage, whereas in Nigeria it is rare for the lights to flicker on for so much as a negligible 10 % of the time in any given 24 hour period.

Pay your utility bills in the US and you can be sure your home will be supplied with electricity, CLEAN water and cooking gas on tap. The uninterrupted flow of those basic utilities are remains a wistful fantasy in Nigeria, hopefully to be realized in coming decades for the benefit of generations yet un-born.

Bribes are expected and demanded for even the most mundane rights in most Nigerian government offices, a situation as foreign to American culture as would be the sight a Nigerian-style motorcycle taxi transporting a family of six.

There are virtually NO public toilets in Nigeria, so the sight of men and women defacting and urinating beside the road and in full view of the public is commonplace and routine, a revolting spectacle absolutely unheard of in the US.

Other than these differences, Nigeria and North America are comparable in that there is terrain below and a sky above in both countries.

Note: I haven't traveled out of the country before, the world is now a Global Village where you don't have travel out to know or see this things.

I am preparing for the Gre and Toefl exam, when everything clicks......... I move OUT.

Amazing post. I have nothing to add to that. You make really good points and I was surprised you've not traveled before. You make more sense than some people who have spent years down here. I wish you the best on your exams. Please if you're considering migrating, do it the right way and you'll see how smooth your life would be over time.

5 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by travelland(f): 8:01pm On May 21, 2018
Macaulay10:

My brother, you will make heaven(America) and when you get there you will no longer have any problems in life, like all Americans are currently living in heaven without problems

7 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by orimahspence: 8:03pm On May 21, 2018
theamerican:
Watching Nigerian movies will make her realize Nigeria is better than what is projected on here? I beg to differ! On the contrary, it's going to show that what we say here is spot on and they still have a long way to go. Nollywood is a joke lmao.

You're right, @Mobilia. No matter what the plot is, you'll always see traces of worshipping money/the rich, looking down on the poor, equating happiness with riches, early marriages, women having to serve men, a woman's life is worthless if she doesn't have a husband, homophobia, any religion that's not Christianity or in some cases Islam is frowned upon, and everything is solved when the pastor intervenes. Your husband is drinking, cheating, womanizing? Just wait, the pastor will soon come and cast out the demon causing it. The list goes on.

Best way to learn about Nigeria will depend on what you really wanna know. You can talk to Nigerians who migrate, you can also talk to people who can speak without letting their emotions/patroitism cloud their good judgment. That's the only way you can learn. Also, remember you'll get a different treatment as a foreigner and may not get the real deal as to what the average Nigerian faces.

Don't get me wrong, Nigeria is still an interesting country. There's still a lot to catch your attention and so much to enjoy (depending on what you want). I lived over 3/4 of my life there yet I still learn about the country daily. wink

@theAmerican, you probably don't accept email, please do this for me , I sent you pm already
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Ugosample(m): 8:05pm On May 21, 2018
travelland:

My brother, you will make heaven(America) and when you get there you will no longer have any problems in life, like all Americans are currently living in heaven without problems

A poor attempt at sarcasm.

It's better to be poor in the USA than in Nigeria, because at least, you have a support system there (food stamps et al )
In Nigeria/Africa, who sabi you?

15 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by travelland(f): 8:25pm On May 21, 2018
Ugosample:

A poor attempt at sarcasm.

It's better to be poor in the USA than in Nigeria, because at least, you have a support system there (food stamps et al )
In Nigeria/Africa, who sabi you?

Yet you will still see people in US sleeping on cartons and inside vehicles? I pray you all make heaven(America) to see things for yourselves

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Macaulay10(m): 8:25pm On May 21, 2018
travelland:

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Macaulay10(m): 8:30pm On May 21, 2018
theamerican:

Amazing post. I have nothing to add to that. You make really good points and I was surprised you've not traveled before. You make more sense than some people who have spent years down here. I wish you the best on your exams. Please if you're considering migrating, do it the right way and you'll see how smooth your life would be over time.

Thank you for the kind words, I will do it legally.
You know a better life is also something we work for with a long term mindset. If that includes moving to another country, so be IT

5 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by hammed71(m): 8:39pm On May 21, 2018
This travelland guy dey funny sef, you fit dey naija, make guys wey wan travel travel.its not by force na. It's by choice.

5 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by travelland(f): 8:42pm On May 21, 2018
Macaulay10:
Oh spare me all that....... Heaven Heaven!

Note: I believe in God but "If you are emotionally attached to your tribe, religion or political leaning to the point that truth and justice become secondary considerations, your education is useless. Your exposure is useless, the religion you practice is useless, If you cannot reason beyond petty sentiments, you are a liability to mankind."
Last time I will reply you........ Pls just stay off my mentions, I know your type.

I'm not trading words with you, I wonder why you are upset. I wish you heaven(America ), you shall get there and all your problems will be wiped away very soon.

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by timesup234: 8:46pm On May 21, 2018
travelland:

Yet you will still see people in US sleeping on cartons and inside vehicles? I pray you all make heaven(America) to see things for yourselves
Funny how you have time for dese braindead mofos who form a large group of frustrated jobless Nigerians. They really do believe their illusions.

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by travelland(f): 9:19pm On May 21, 2018
timesup234:
Funny how you have time for dese braindead mofos who form a large group of frustrated jobless Nigerians. They really do believe their illusions.

grin When people who haven't been to a place before hold strongly to illusions as they are doing here, there's nothing else I can do than to play along with them.

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Ugosample(m): 9:23pm On May 21, 2018
travelland:

grin grin

Of course you will see that

but it's much more in Nigeria.

No support system

Me I have already moved out, but I still spend some time in Nigeria

You guys can enjoy and "fix" the country, if it's fixable.

bye

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 10:23pm On May 21, 2018
travelland:

grin When people who haven't been to a place before hold strongly to illusions as they are doing here, there's nothing else I can do than to play along with them.

While I agree with keeping expectations realistic and not expecting paradise or a land filled with milk and honey, your responses have been the worst attempt at sarcasm I've seen in a long time.

@macaulay10 came here to say completely accurate things about the U.S., nothing he has said is false or exaggerated. I was even surprised he said them despite never being here and still stayed very close to the truth.

"You will see people sleeping on cartons and inside vehicles"? What's the correlation?

While there are some people whose lives are really pitiful, not every homeless person you see has a "suffering" story. Some of them threw their lives away through drugs, gambling, addictions, wrong choices in life (like messed up criminal background that prevents them from getting jobs, overstaying visiting visas and waiting for God to help them), etc. and despite all these, still have hope but don't just wanna fix their problems.

I have a friend whose brother is currently homeless. He served in the army and got addicted to drugs. He was declared mentally disable (depression, bipolar, etc.) and placed on disability assistance. He gets $3k monthly. He has refused to get help. He's 25, no wife, kids, nothing. Every 15th day of the month, he gets $3k and he spends it on drugs, gambling, etc.

You will see him homeless and say the country isn't working? It's his own choice, he constantly refuses to get help and by law, he can't be forced to do anything he doesn't wanna do. Unless he gets into trouble and the court orders him to get into a mental home/rehab, no one can force him to.

This same guy's sister (my friend) has a full-time job that pays $15 per hour. In a month, she earns about $2400. She drives a good car and lives comfortably. You won't know her brother should be doing better than her.

I agree with your point about racism though. It's still a big issue in these parts of the world. That's one of the things I really really frown upon. It's one of the intelligent arguments against life abroad.

Like someone once pointed out on this thread, why do some Nigerians hear "travel out" and think about illegal migration, working menial jobs just to survive, being homeless and running into all sorts of problems? Lol, there are people who are doing the right things, doing everything the right way and living their dreams.

I'm against taking the leap of faith and traveling just for traveling sake, without being informed. Those are the people who get into problems. Those who migrate with a plan and keep their expectations realistic, succeed.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by orimahspence: 10:30pm On May 21, 2018
One of the dangerous things that can happen to man is for a cerebral and active mind to be limited in exposure or restricted to his local hamlet in Nigeria. A widely-travelled dunce will possess a more productive mind than such person

Truth is that some of us living in Nigeria have devised different techniques to maintain our sanity. It is a hard job to remain focused to the pursuit of personal goals in the midst of chaos. Getting worried daily over issues that one has no control is energy draining. I think the best one can do is to keep on enlightening the electorates (few reasonable ones) about their power at the next polls.

Do you know that Nigerian newspapers now dedicate two pages daily for crimes and vices in our society? They hardly promote innovation, intellectualism or ingenuity among the youths.

3 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 11:57pm On May 21, 2018
signature2012:

I dont just know,but I feel you are a son of a politician in Nigeria.Your patriotism to my country makes me feel that way.

lol..you must be joking,i lost my dad decade ago.i have story to tell my brother,hopefully very soon.

Modified

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 12:05am On May 22, 2018
orimahspence:
One of the dangerous things that can happen to man is for a cerebral and active mind to be limited in exposure or restricted to his local hamlet in Nigeria. A widely-travelled dunce will possess a more productive mind than such person

Truth is that some of us living in Nigeria have devised different techniques to maintain our sanity. It is a hard job to remain focused to the pursuit of personal goals in the midst of chaos. Getting worried daily over issues that one has no control is energy draining. I think the best one can do is to keep on enlightening the electorates (few reasonable ones) about their power at the next polls.

Do you know that Nigerian newspapers now dedicate two pages daily for crimes and vices in our society? They hardly promote innovation, intellectualism or ingenuity among the youths.
True but when there's nothing like innovations or creative ideas except entertainment.how can youths who went to the airport at 3am to welcome bbnaija housemates be creative or innovative ?.abeg we be our own worst enemies.

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (38) (Reply)

Some Funny Slangs Used In Warri / The Kainji Dam In Pictures / Can You Believe This is Nigeria? Travelling As A Single Nigerian Lady (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.