Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,018 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:48 AM

Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. (93131 Views)

Memoirs From Chile / Is Traveling Abroad Worth It? / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (38) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nig4Greatness: 12:57am On May 22, 2018
Mobilia:

Thanks a lot for the welcome. You have shocked me with your nice change of attitude....wow.
So you are African-American and not the son of a Nigerian politician? Quite interesting....
Yes...lots of people on this site are Africans, Europeans, Americans, etc,..and we are trying to relate to the giant of Africa-Nigeria.
Sir, if I even begin to tell you how I have had quite a roller-coaster ride on this site since I joined....you wouldn't believe me...or maybe you would. It was the reason I deactivated so many times within my 16-17 month stay here on N.L.....
Nigeria has a terrible reputation across the world (sorry to say)...ranging from being extremely mean to being labeled the "419" online romance and credit card scammers of the world..to being some of the most polygamous and corrupt men on earth.
Now those aren't my words...so don't shoot me.
But I know that some brilliant minds (my dad being one) hail from that country.
I don't like to get involved in politics, hence the reason I don't visit the "Foreign Affairs" room here on N.L.
I don't like to speak about the politics of America...cause...well....I don't know all of the in's-and-out's.
We have major problems too....but I just believe in being wise about how to approach issues.

I didn't see the Op's thread as being meant to disparage and demean Nigerians...

She was speaking through the lens of being a "naturalized citizen".....and explaining her experiences.
She was happy with her decision...point blank.
She was encouraging others who may want to take the step...
She presented her experience in a very fair manner...
Just so you know...I have "0" clue who she is. My only words to her were what I wrote much earlier to her in the beginning of the thread...
Don't know her from Adam...but what and how she wrote it was so eloquent.
I'm not looking for anything per se on this thread...I just happened to run across it as I look at threads on the Travel Section.
I explore many different sections here on N.L.....and am just soaking in how people relate to one another, how they view the world at large and how daily life is...

I was referring to the adultery statement that you made earlier and about visiting the "states/cities that matter" thing.
I'll have to look back and see about anything else you wrote...cause frankly, (and I must be honest), you were starting to annoy me with your posts here.

Nice meeting you!

@Mobila,
You have raised some very important points/issues that are both personal and general,so i will take time to address them in parts as time permits,somehow we are all here to learn.
Part 1...First,am a nice guy with strong conviction and with exemplary attitude,these i will not trade for anything.
Concerning your last line,well am not responsible for what you do with your emotions,its yours and you can toy with it as you want.am only being simple and direct.i have no apology for my style.
My sister,lets be frank with ourselves,you are a Nigerian by virtue of being born by a Nigerian father,its part of our culture and elsewhere too but you may choose to claim any nationality of your choice(glad you mentioned dual nationality) but when your story is told,you would be addressed as an African American from Nigeria,lets leave it at that.
You see when you try to learn about Nigeria,you may not get the true pictures of what you need from forum like this per see because people will only give opinions based on their personal experiences.If i may suggest,just stick to what your dad told you(good or bad) and make your judgement from that or you may choose to take a trip down to Nigeria and experience those things first hand.(A friend from CA,who's not even from Nigeria whatsoever but has so much interest in the country did exactly that).
As per Nigeria having a bad reputation,well one opinion doesn't count for others,people with different experience will probably have different opinions about certain things.
Let me make this clear,i don't have any personal issue with the OP whatsoever and i guess she knows that too,i only differ in her approach that's all and i owe it a duty to fact check and balance every statement where possible without going personal,I remember i suggested she just sticks to her experience only in the US then we can all make meaningful and positive contributions but when you make a blank comparison between two unequaled countries,one is being described in glowing terms and deride the other,you are likely going to stir up opposing views.I think she's cool.

to be contd...

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 1:02am On May 22, 2018
Nig4Greatness:
@Mobila,
You have raised some very important points/issues that are both personal and general,so i will take time to address them in parts as time permits,somehow we are all here to learn.
Part 1...First,am a nice guy with strong conviction and with exemplary attitude,these i will not trade for anything.
Concerning your last line,well am not responsible for what you do with your emotions,its yours and you can toy with it as you want.am only being simple and direct.i have no apology for my style.
My sister,lets be frank with ourselves,you are a Nigerian by virtue of being born by a Nigerian father,its part of our culture and elsewhere too but you may choose to claim any nationality of your choice(glad you mentioned dual nationality) but when your story is told,you would be addressed as an African American from Nigeria,lets leave it at that.
You see when you try to learn about Nigeria,you may not get the true pictures of what you need from forum like this per see because people will only give opinions based on their personal experiences.If i may suggest,just stick to what your dad told you(good or bad) and make your judgement from that or you may choose to take a trip down to Nigeria and experience those things first hand.(A friend from CA,who's not even from Nigeria whatsoever but has so much interest in the country did exactly that).
As per Nigeria having a bad reputation,well one opinion doesn't count for others,people with different experience will probably have different opinions about certain things.
Let me make this clear,i don't have any personal issue with the OP whatsoever and i guess she knows that too,i only differ in her approach that's all and i owe it a duty to fact check and balance every statement where possible without going personal,I remember i suggested she just sticks to her experience only in the US then we can all make meaningful and positive contributions but when you make a blank comparison between two unequaled countries,one is being described in glowing terms and deride the other,you are likely going to stir up opposing views.I think she's cool.

to be contd...

Ok...fair enough.
Points well taken brother.....
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by lyrondee: 1:32am On May 22, 2018
theamerican:

While I agree with keeping expectations realistic and not expecting paradise or a land filled with milk and honey, your responses have been the worst attempt at sarcasm I've seen in a long time.

@macaulay10 came here to say completely accurate things about the U.S., nothing he has said is false or exaggerated. I was even surprised he said them despite never being here and still stayed very close to the truth.

"You will see people sleeping on cartons and inside vehicles"? What's the correlation?

While there are some people whose lives are really pitiful, not every homeless person you see has a "suffering" story. Some of them threw their lives away through drugs, gambling, addictions, wrong choices in life (like messed up criminal background that prevents them from getting jobs, overstaying visiting visas and waiting for God to help them), etc. and despite all these, still have hope but don't just wanna fix their problems.

I have a friend whose brother is currently homeless. He served in the army and got addicted to drugs. He was declared mentally disable (depression, bipolar, etc.) and placed on disability assistance. He gets $3k monthly. He has refused to get help. He's 25, no wife, kids, nothing. Every 15th day of the month, he gets $3k and he spends it on drugs, gambling, etc.

You will see him homeless and say the country isn't working? It's his own choice, he constantly refuses to get help and by law, he can't be forced to do anything he doesn't wanna do. Unless he gets into trouble and the court orders him to get into a mental home/rehab, no one can force him to.

This same guy's sister (my friend) has a full-time job that pays $15 per hour. In a month, she earns about $2400. She drives a good car and lives comfortably. You won't know her brother should be doing better than her.

I agree with your point about racism though. It's still a big issue in these parts of the world. That's one of the things I really really frown upon. It's one of the intelligent arguments against life abroad.

Like someone once pointed out on this thread, why do some Nigerians hear "travel out" and think about illegal migration, working menial jobs just to survive, being homeless and running into all sorts of problems? Lol, there are people who are doing the right things, doing everything the right way and living their dreams.

I'm against taking the leap of faith and traveling just for traveling sake, without being informed. Those are the people who get into problems. Those who migrate with a plan and keep their expectations realistic, succeed.

pls kindly reply my mail ma,

cc: theamerican
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by travelland(f): 5:11am On May 22, 2018
theamerican:

While I agree with keeping expectations realistic and not expecting paradise or a land filled with milk and honey, your responses have been the worst attempt at sarcasm I've seen in a long time.

@macaulay10 came here to say completely accurate things about the U.S., nothing he has said is false or exaggerated. I was even surprised he said them despite never being here and still stayed very close to the truth.

"You will see people sleeping on cartons and inside vehicles"? What's the correlation?

While there are some people whose lives are really pitiful, not every homeless person you see has a "suffering" story. Some of them threw their lives away through drugs, gambling, addictions, wrong choices in life (like messed up criminal background that prevents them from getting jobs, overstaying visiting visas and waiting for God to help them), etc. and despite all these, still have hope but don't just wanna fix their problems.

I have a friend whose brother is currently homeless. He served in the army and got addicted to drugs. He was declared mentally disable (depression, bipolar, etc.) and placed on disability assistance. He gets $3k monthly. He has refused to get help. He's 25, no wife, kids, nothing. Every 15th day of the month, he gets $3k and he spends it on drugs, gambling, etc.

You will see him homeless and say the country isn't working? It's his own choice, he constantly refuses to get help and by law, he can't be forced to do anything he doesn't wanna do. Unless he gets into trouble and the court orders him to get into a mental home/rehab, no one can force him to.

This same guy's sister (my friend) has a full-time job that pays $15 per hour. In a month, she earns about $2400. She drives a good car and lives comfortably. You won't know her brother should be doing better than her.

I agree with your point about racism though. It's still a big issue in these parts of the world. That's one of the things I really really frown upon. It's one of the intelligent arguments against life abroad.

Like someone once pointed out on this thread, why do some Nigerians hear "travel out" and think about illegal migration, working menial jobs just to survive, being homeless and running into all sorts of problems? Lol, there are people who are doing the right things, doing everything the right way and living their dreams.

I'm against taking the leap of faith and traveling just for traveling sake, without being informed. Those are the people who get into problems. Those who migrate with a plan and keep their expectations realistic, succeed.

Your points are clear to me and your maturity is commendable, if only these people can understand your emphasis on being legal and not having unnecessarily high expectations.

That Macaulay10 brother actually said no hoodlums, street gangs, beggars, street vendors or pick pockets in America? I give up!

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by ilyasom(m): 9:34am On May 22, 2018
theamerican:

Dear Sir, I'm not broken or frustrated, maybe those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. You're 29, you finished youth service last year, you have no job yet, you depend on sports betting to make ends meet, which isn't a bad idea (your life, your decisions).

You live in Umuahia, without a stable job and you're insulting people who took risks to find greener pastures? Your posts show how winning 4000 Naira from online betting is a big deal to

If not because your country has failed you, you wouldn't be in that situation. I'm 25, I won't say anything about where I am now or the opportunities available to me. Again, it's a privilege. Not saying it to brag. I know your type, lol. I'm sure you're hardworking. Wait till you apply for jobs and they tell you only people between age 21 and 26 can apply, you'll know why people are giving up on Nigeria.

Before you attack someone, do a self-reflection sir. Good day. grin You have been talking about things you don't even know about lol. I won't waste my time anymore. grin

Bro you just narrated my whole life, am 29 finished youth service, no job. Etc. The frustration is hell

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by ilyasom(m): 10:02am On May 22, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

I will add my own two cents. I graduated in 2017 and started a business a month after I graduated and in a period of 7 months the business has seen more than 3 million naira in revenue. I have been trying to raise funds to grow the business but I have been frustrated at every turn. Funny enough I built the business from nothing without any money and thought my story will be appealing to incubators and investors but damn I was wrong. I am really thinking of a masters degree now, I graduated with a 2 2 but am thinking of using my business experience and milestones over the past year to make a stellar application. Africa is a cursed continent and should be left for the likes of Buhari and Yusuf . I am 22 years going to 23 and I don't want to waste any time. Before you know it one is 30 years old without anything tangible to show for it.

Bro how did you achieve that.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 11:31am On May 22, 2018
Life for average Nigerians in America by Ella Sesay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jNg5LOW5V0

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Sharonose: 2:27pm On May 22, 2018
EMMAACHILE:
Life for average Nigerians in America by Ella Sesay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jNg5LOW5V0
hmm
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by odimbannamdi(m): 11:32pm On May 22, 2018
Berliner1:
I always tell people, come here legally and u will regret staying in Nigeria.

I will rather say God bless Germany than mentioning Nigeria.

Going on europe tour as if you are going to Ikeja.

Access to free education, plenty student job( averagely €1500=650k per month after tax), many easy way to become a german citizen,free semester ticket( you can travel a whole state 247 without paying kobo.

From nursery school to PhD education in Germany is 100% free for everyone.

Plenty free loan if u want oo....atleast u can get a credit card upto 6k euro=2.5m naira without collateral even as a student, if you are working full time here, plenty loan u can access at a very very low rate from mortgage to car of any brand.

Please where can one get this in Nigeria?

Who ever tell you to stay back in Nigeria is your village member holding u back.

Theres no comparism between heaven and hell fire.

God bless Germany.

Going on world tour in December, any europe based dude interest in co ride can holla.

Greetings from the Capital of Europe(Berlin)

Hi Berliner.

This is very inspirational. Please, how can i reach you?
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Berliner1: 11:32pm On May 22, 2018
odimbannamdi:

Hi Berliner.

This is very inspirational. Please, how can i reach you?

Pm button still work sir.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by jidesotunbo: 5:24am On May 23, 2018
All good points raised here. I have been living abroad for over a decade now and have no regrets. I came to the US as a student , I currently work and live in Houston and the career progression I have had are because I took that smart decision to leave naija over a decade ago.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by odimbannamdi(m): 10:28am On May 23, 2018
Berliner1:

Pm button still work sir.

I PMed you, sir
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Berliner1: 10:57am On May 23, 2018
odimbannamdi:

I PMed you, sir

I replied u bro
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Affordablerent: 11:53am On May 23, 2018
jidesotunbo:
All good points raised here. I have been living abroad for over a decade now and have no regrets. I came to the US as a student , I currently work and live in Houston and the career progression I have had are because I took that smart decision to leave naija over a decade ago.

Joined today?

Contact me for affordable rent in Lagos
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 3:30pm On May 24, 2018
jidesotunbo:

That's great! I like how you put used "I" over and over to show that you took charge of your life, made decisions and you're happy with it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 3:50pm On May 24, 2018
travelland:

Your points are clear to me and your maturity is commendable, if only these people can understand your emphasis on being legal and not having unnecessarily high expectations.

That Macaulay10 brother actually said no hoodlums, street gangs, beggars, street vendors or pick pockets in America? I give up!

Lol, that would have been a ridiculous statement to make. I didn't point it out because he said "...in most cities" so I just let it slide. Anybody thinking anywhere on earth is a perfect paradise needs a serious reality check.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Dremca(m): 4:32pm On May 24, 2018
There is a report that China is planning to buy Nigeria. I can't wait for that to happen so I can use my own share of the money to escape from jungle called Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by AngelicBeing: 4:37pm On May 24, 2018
Dremca:
There is a report that China is planning to buy Nigeria. I can't wait for that to happen so I can use my own share of the money to escape from the called Nigeria.
Hian shocked

1 Share

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Nobody: 4:44pm On May 24, 2018
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by doublezero7(m): 5:13pm On May 24, 2018
@theamerican

I have tried to reach you via your PM and on the other f1 thread.

I'd really like you to help vet my proposed transcript before my interview. I hope it isn't too much of a bother.

Thanks
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Aden777(m): 9:04am On May 25, 2018
[qquote author=Berliner1 post=66882336]

Various credit card have different terms and condition.

The common and easiest one is not even from a german company.

This card mostly start with 2k euro for new commer which can be increased upto 7k euro within one year depending on how frequent you use them.

If you use the money and return it back, its chargee free ....no hidden charges anywhere.
But if you are paying after the stipulated monthly dates, charges apply.

For example, my friend used 2k(summer wears and iphone) out of his 5k euro card, after the deadline(mostly 20th of each month), he was requested to pay 30 euro as charges.

So its up to you. Moreover there are plenty student jobs here for people who want to work and earn well.[/quote]
Pls drop ur email here, I need to contact you.
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by sevule(m): 5:20pm On May 25, 2018
https://www.nairaland.com/4523814/paid-nass-17b-naira-2015/1
We Paid NASS 17B Naira To Have 2015 Budget Passed.- Okonjo Iweala

When you see stories like this, how can anyone possibly wonder why people are leaving Nigeria in droves? The very people that make laws for Nigeria are stealing the country blind and we are talking about sacrifice??
How the heck can Nigeria EVER develop when all 3 arms of government are made up of criminals?? They rape and pillage the country and they do not even leave crumbs for the masses.

The saddest part of the story is that instead of stoning these vagrants that call themselves senators and government officials, we applaud them. For goodness sake someone in this thread was justifying the sad state of the power sector!

I do not curse my country but Nigeria will NEVER develop as LONG as these criminals remain in power.
If you have the opportunity to leave Nigeria LEGALLY, PLEASE LEAVE!!!

5 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by henrixx(m): 6:25pm On May 25, 2018
theamerican:

Dear Sir, I'm not broken or frustrated, maybe those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. You're 29, you finished youth service last year, you have no job yet, you depend on sports betting to make ends meet, which isn't a bad idea (your life, your decisions).

You live in Umuahia, without a stable job and you're insulting people who took risks to find greener pastures? Your posts show how winning 4000 Naira from online betting is a big deal to you... smh. All your claims about people abroad, how many of it is first hand experience? Have you ever been outside Nigeria? Before you criticize the decisions of people who had 4m Naira and traveled with it, wait until you have been in their shoes i.e. made that 4m Naira. Until then, leave them alone. Lol

If not because your country has failed you, you wouldn't be in that situation. I'm 25, I won't say anything about where I am now or the opportunities available to me. Again, it's a privilege. Not saying it to brag. I know your type, lol. I'm sure you're hardworking. Wait till you apply for jobs and they tell you only people between age 21 and 26 can apply, you'll know why people are giving up on Nigeria.

Before you attack someone, do a self-reflection sir. Good day. grin You have been talking about things you don't even know about lol. I won't waste my time anymore. grin
Oga i don confuse...your post says you spent 25years in Nigeria.....then here you say you are 25.

kilodeyy
you be 2 in 1?

2 Likes

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Dremca(m): 7:05pm On May 25, 2018
Simple arithmetic you no understand, how you won take understand naija problem.
henrixx:
Oga i don confuse...your post says you spent 25years in Nigeria.....then here you say you are 25.

kilodeyy
you be 2 in 1?

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 10:14pm On May 25, 2018
henrixx:

kilodeyy
you be 2 in 1?

I turned 26 this month, I posted that before my birthday... and saying I spent 25 years in Nigeria doesn't mean I literally spent 25 years on a spot and never moved. I live here and have family back there. So... 26 years counting. smiley

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 10:18pm On May 25, 2018
doublezero7:
@theamerican

I have tried to reach you via your PM and on the other f1 thread.

I'd really like you to help vet my proposed transcript before my interview. I hope it isn't too much of a bother.

Thanks

Not been checking my pm, I'm sorry. sad
Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by Dremca(m): 10:19pm On May 25, 2018
Do keep on updating us. How do you handle your social media friends who sees your pictures online with the hope of asking for something....
theamerican:

I turned 26 this month, I posted that before my birthday... and saying I spent 25 years in Nigeria doesn't mean I literally spent 25 years on a spot and never moved. I live here and have family back there. So... 26 years counting. smiley

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 11:20pm On May 25, 2018
Dremca:
Do keep on updating us. How do you handle your social media friends who sees your pictures online with the hope of asking for something....

Haha, I stopped using old accounts and created new ones when I came here. I don't upload anything personal, I just check when I'm bored and wanna see what's going in Nigeria. I get bombarded with requests for help. People who have no clue how migrating works just think you can help anyone "travel out".

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by henrixx(m): 12:27am On May 26, 2018
theamerican:

still beating arou d the bush..

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by theamerican(f): 12:41am On May 26, 2018
henrixx:
still beating arou d the bush..

Whatever your point is, take it elsewhere. I'm clearly not interested in spoon-feeding anyone anymore by explaining simple things over and over. smiley

1 Like

Re: Is Life Abroad Worth The Stress And Hype? Memoirs Of A Naturalized Immigrant. by doublezero7(m): 6:53am On May 26, 2018
theamerican:

Not been checking my pm, I'm sorry. sad

No problem ma'am, I understand you've been busy.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (38) (Reply)

Dead Bodies From The Helicopter Crash In Lagos (Photos) / Some Funny Slangs Used In Warri / US VISA LOTTERY,DV-2014 Program-online Registration!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.