Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,643 members, 7,809,418 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:15 AM

Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? - Investment (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? (15675 Views)

Buying Gold In Form Of Jewelry Or Mutual Fund. / Stanbic Bank Mutual Funds / Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by Eagba(m): 4:49pm On Apr 22, 2018
yeyerolling:
Risk averse go for mutual fund or tbills
Risk taker - stocks.
Considering most nigerian companies are fraud stay away from stock
so true eg daar comm.
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by chukzyfcbb: 4:51pm On Apr 22, 2018
onyokometer:
Bros abeg use your cash and buy land,sale after two years. Shares or mutual fund na nonsense. The ones I bought ten years ago deprecated and is still depreciating. I regret,had it been I bought land with those money. Ibtc mutual fund,zenith mutual fund etc na nonsense. ......no gain at all.
its nonsense when you are investing with peanuts :-)

Someone is smiling to the bank every year with his millions. The same land you speak of. I know of some that hasn't improved in price in that last 2yrs.

Same goes for shares. Why I dey even waste my time replying you sef. na me make mistake

Na where your level of knowledge reach, u go stay in

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by chukzyfcbb: 4:59pm On Apr 22, 2018
engrhorla:

You are fantastically correct.

Though, shares, stocks and treasury bills are good forms of investment.

But if you want a zero risk plus high RoI on your money, go for lands.

To reduce the risk, go for lands sold by registered real estate development firms such as Adron Homes..chat me for more info
lool oga marketer.

You call investment in land ZERO RISK? LOOL
So if Land is Zero risk, what's Treasury bills that's backed the by the Govt.

I dey see as u take dey market your land, kwantinu

3 Likes

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by chukzyfcbb: 5:04pm On Apr 22, 2018
dotcomnamename:

I will tell you what i did, only if you will listen.

(1) I invested millions same figure in both Treasury Bills and Mutual Funds and i can confirm that i've never regret investing on them. Your money is very SAFE. All you need is to visit your bank and tell them you want to invest in Treasury bills. They will definitely want to convince you to leave your money in your bank account or fixed it, but insist that its your money and that is what you want to do with your money. Secondly, visit any StanbicIBTC Bank and tell them that you want to invest in Money Market Funds, they will tell you their requirements and open the account for you. You will be able to log in to your account at anytime and see how your money is growing. It is very very simple an enjoyable. As a matter of fact i don't live in Nigeria and i did both Treasury Bills and Mutual funds from here online. Its so sweet!

PLEASE NOTE: The last one below depend on your risk appetite:

(2) I invested in different cryptos and i threw my hardware wallet on top my ceiling until one of the cryptos's price can by me lambo! grin wink cheesy

A plot of land is also an option but make sure you buy it through Property Lawyer, forget all those property agents... wink

In Summary- DIVERSIFY.. The smart way to save and invest is diversification, spreading your money between different kinds of investments (called 'asset classes') and different kinds of investment product helps reduce the risk of your overall investments wink

bros u have said it all.....U don summarize every every
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by chukzyfcbb: 5:10pm On Apr 22, 2018
whitebeard:
so what about someone within the age 20-27 which do u recommend
are you investing for passive income or you are investing because you don't have any use for the money yet.

If you are investing because you don't have use for the money now, then cool any amount would do.
Presently 1million could give u 120k per annum.

However if you are investing for passive income (side hustles) Then you need Plenty owo, at least above 1m. Eg say you invest 20million, you are guarantee nothing less that 2.5m per annum. I know some people will tell you that you can make more investing 20m else where.
but the truth is how safe are those investment. Tbills/Mutual funds is where u can dump billions and go and sleep without fear.

Like dotcom....said above diversify bro
no one knows the next asset that would become the oil money in future

1 Like

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by segemafia(m): 5:17pm On Apr 22, 2018
At Alpari Forex we have an investment package that can fetch you an average of 10-20% percent return within just a month of investment and also you have an opportunity to set a capital protection on your Investment meaning you get to control the extent of exposure of your capital to the prevailing trend in the Forex market.

For more information you can chat or call me up on 0-7-0-8-1-5-4-0-2-4-1

You could also sign up with the link below to have more insight and information about our other Trading and Investment options.

http://www.alpari.com/?partner_id=1236715
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by dotcomnamename: 5:39pm On Apr 22, 2018
chukzyfcbb:

its nonsense when you are investing with peanuts :-)

Someone is smiling to the bank every year with his millions. The same land you speak of. I know of some that hasn't improved in price in that last 2yrs.

Same goes for shares. Why I dey even waste my time replying you sef. na me make mistake

Na where your level of knowledge reach, u go stay in

Don't blame them grin. I was once like them. They are many on nairaland, some eventually got the logic while some are still chasing their shadows and are yet to understand that false knowledge is more dangerous than ignorance. In all, investing your money in anything is your personal choice.

It’s pointless to set goals if you are not going to try to hit them. For instance, whether Treasury Bills and Mutual Funds are nonsense or not, i love locking my money there for a reason wink grin.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by fopishow(m): 5:45pm On Apr 22, 2018
Which exchange sells these coins?
NonFarmPayrol:
Go to coin market cap
For coin men

Buy the following coins

Pundi x
Sugar exchange
Token pay (900% last two weeks?
Eos

6 months from now u shud have 100 to 1000 %

FCK all these offline investment

cool
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by ekanDamie: 5:57pm On Apr 22, 2018
erico2k2:

Mutual FUnd is SCAM, I thought by now you guys are wiser
How bro? Am thinking of investing in mutual benefit. Do u have any experience?
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by erico2k2(m): 6:05pm On Apr 22, 2018
AgamaProf:

Its not. Buying land is capital intensive.Do you have capital to buy land?
what do you mean capital intenssive? there are lands for N1.5m in some qrters as we speak
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by sheis: 6:09pm On Apr 22, 2018
What about stakerrs?

It isn't the conventional type of investment like mutual funds or treasury bills. I read they are in partnership with Amazon fashion lines, global events, advertising etc.

Are they for real?
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Apr 22, 2018
erico2k2:

what do you mean capital intenssive? there are lands for N1.5m in some qrters as we speak
The OP might not have up to that amount. Buying land in the village which is considered cheap might not really be good investment. With 500k you can have good investment in stocks and mutual fund.The word mutual involves pooling large amounts and gives opportunity to small and medium scale investors to invests in assets that individually might not be able to invest in.
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by erico2k2(m): 8:54pm On Apr 22, 2018
AgamaProf:

The OP might not have up to that amount. Buying land in the village which is considered cheap might not really be good investment. With 500k you can have good investment in stocks and mutual fund.The word mutual involves pooling large amounts and gives opportunity to small and medium scale investors to invests in assets that individually might not be able to invest in.
grin grin grin grin grin.No wonder people do not break even in 9ja when it comes to capital market, how can you have N500k and be talking about investing in the capital market, how far can that get you?? your managers might end up collecting the whole return.
Plz if you or anyone has N500k, its better to invest in Agriculture than wasting it on wishful thinking.

1 Like

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by partnerbiz4: 9:12pm On Apr 22, 2018
Nairaruky:
Mutual funds in Nigeria is not encouraging
If I were you,I will invest 30% in forex I.e buy $ and lock it up in dom acct
40% in ZENITH or GT bank be rest assured of 8 to 15% appreciation/ yr no matter the bear n fluctuating crude prices...dz two banks are bear resistant
The rest 30% in 3mths TB roll over
Provided you are employed and earn money monthly.....
Do this for 5 yrs...you are out of the rat race

Please do you think that Tbills price will increase or decrease in the next 6 months?
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by partnerbiz4: 9:15pm On Apr 22, 2018
Nairaruky:
Mutual funds in Nigeria is not encouraging
If I were you,I will invest 30% in forex I.e buy $ and lock it up in dom acct
40% in ZENITH or GT bank be rest assured of 8 to 15% appreciation/ yr no matter the bear n fluctuating crude prices...dz two banks are bear resistant
The rest 30% in 3mths TB roll over
Provided you are employed and earn money monthly.....
Do this for 5 yrs...you are out of the rat race

Please do you think that Tbills price will increase or decrease in the next 6 months?

cc 0monnak0da.
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by partnerbiz4: 9:18pm On Apr 22, 2018
chloride6:

Lol..

In my opinion mutual funds are of course the best options because it allows you leverage on the expertise of your asset managers.

The average asset manager has CFA qualification, an MBA, advanced technological tools and at least 5 years finance experience. Even so, they still get it wrong.

Please send me a PM if you have further enquires so I can setup a meet. A one on one discussion may be useful in clearing up obscurities.

I am a financial analyst in training at Nigeria's second largest Asset Management Business in case you are wondering. grin

Please do you think that Treasury bills rate are likely to increase or decrease in 6 months time?
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by partnerbiz4: 9:28pm On Apr 22, 2018
erico2k2:
Mutual FUnd is SCAM, I thought by now you guys are wiser
please explain oga eriko
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by erico2k2(m): 9:54pm On Apr 22, 2018
partnerbiz4:

please explain oga eriko
The vast majority of people venturing into it have limited funds.so its like dashing your money away
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by erico2k2(m): 9:56pm On Apr 22, 2018
partnerbiz4:

Please do you think that Treasury bills rate are likely to increase or decrease in 6 months time?
whats the % on RTI?
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by partnerbiz4: 10:07pm On Apr 22, 2018
engrhorla:

You are fantastically correct.

Though, shares, stocks and treasury bills are good forms of investment.

But if you want a zero risk plus high RoI on your money, go for lands.

To reduce the risk, go for lands sold by registered real estate development firms such as Adron Homes..chat me for more info

How is land zero risk?
Is it because you are an agent?
Don't you know the number of cases usually associated with land?

Try to be objective please?

And those of you that buy land at say 1 million and sell at say 1.5 next year and then feels they made 500k without factoring in inflation etc, have no smattering of economics.
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by partnerbiz4: 10:20pm On Apr 22, 2018
erico2k2:

whats the % on RTI?

You mean ROI?

Rates of Tbills are dtopping. So I am wondering if they are likely to drop more in 6 months time.
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by y4code(m): 1:07am On Apr 23, 2018
I thank you all for all the replies that i got here i really appreciate it all

i will decide on what to invest on after analysing SWOT in accordance to economical and social environment of my city...

one thing i understand about business and investment is to UNDERSTAND THE IN AND OUT AND THE PRO AND CONS OF IT

THANKS TO YOU ALL
MUCH APPRECIATED
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by whitebeard(m): 5:58am On Apr 23, 2018
chukzyfcbb:
are you investing for passive income or you are investing because you don't have any use for the money yet.

If you are investing because you don't have use for the money now, then cool any amount would do.
Presently 1million could give u 120k per annum.

However if you are investing for passive income (side hustles) Then you need Plenty owo, at least above 1m. Eg say you invest 20million, you are guarantee nothing less that 2.5m per annum. I know some people will tell you that you can make more investing 20m else where.
but the truth is how safe are those investment. Tbills/Mutual funds is where u can dump billions and go and sleep without fear.

Like dotcom....said above diversify bro
no one knows the next asset that would become the oil money in future
thanks a lot
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Apr 23, 2018
erico2k2:

grin grin grin grin grin.No wonder people do not break even in 9ja when it comes to capital market, how can you have N500k and be talking about investing in the capital market, how far can that get you?? your managers might end up collecting the whole return.
Plz if you or anyone has N500k, its better to invest in Agriculture than wasting it on wishful thinking.
You talked about land,we told you its capital intensive. Now, its agric.what aspect of agric are you talking about?...is not the amount you invest in stocks that matters.if you like invest 50m....that 50m can turn to 500k within a short space. There are investors who are interested in highly volatile instruments called global hot money. They invest for a very short period, make their gains and divest. A mentor once said, I have never lost #1 since I started investing in stocks.people understand the market than others no matter how companies try to doctor their books.
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by erico2k2(m): 3:33pm On Apr 23, 2018
AgamaProf:

You talked about land,we told you its capital intensive. Now, its agric.what aspect of agric are you talking about?...is not the amount you invest in stocks that matters.if you like invest 50m....that 50m can turn to 500k within a short space. There are investors who are interested in highly volatile instruments called global hot money. They invest for a very short period, make their gains and divest. A mentor once said, I have never lost #1 since I started investing in stocks.people understand the market than others no matter how companies try to doctor their books.
Right I said agric cos its cheap,N500Kwill go a long way, however in the Capital mkt that is nothing .that's £250,its a laugh
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by dotcomnamename: 10:38am On Apr 24, 2018
If you are really an investment/biz guru in MF/TB, then there is no reason to suggest that you have no idea about first conviction in Mutual Funds (Money Market Funds) because the first CONVICTION about Mutual Funds (Money Market Funds) like that of StanbicIBTC is very clear and boldly written on their website that ''Capital Preservation''. What is financial definition of Capital Preservation? It simply means that: Capital Preservation is a strategy for protecting the money you have available to invest by choosing insured accounts or fixed-income investments that promise return of principal.

So you have nothing to fear about as your money is more than SAFE

Please ask questions, ask many questions and make research.. Don't just read only on nairaland and especially don't listen to some people that have no knowledge, understanding, or ability about Treasury Bills.

As per Treasury Bills, they are securities issued by the Central Bank of Nigeria on behalf of the Federal Government of Nigeria. So ask yourself this, can Federal Government collapse? Never and ever...Investment in Government Treasury bills guarantees the protection of your capital and are considered to have zero default risk. So, please stop listening to clueless people. Ask questions from experienced people like: ernie4life, ednut1, ImperialCovfefe, e.t.c.

You can also visit Treasury Bills thread here https://www.nairaland.com/878880/treasury-bills-nigeria/501
Ask questions there from people like: feelamong, TONY56, Awesomej, Partnerbiz, e.t.c. ...Also visit your bank and ask about it. Is that not simple instead of listening to people that have no idea about MF and TB but tell you bullsh1ts here?
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by Nobody: 9:34pm On May 04, 2018
NonFarmPayrol:
Go to coin market cap
For coin men

Buy the following coins

Pundi x
Sugar exchange
Token pay (900% last two weeks?
Eos

6 months from now u shud have 100 to 1000 %

FCK all these offline investment

cool

Tell me more...
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by francdec4(m): 10:43am On May 19, 2018
Greetings please which mutual fund type (money market or equity etc) do you recommend añd what's your personal experience. Also whàt did you notice iñ terms of reruns after investing same àmount in TB and Mutual fund...which hàs a better return at same interval. Thanks

dotcomnamename:

Don't blame them grin. I was once like them. They are many on nairaland, some eventually got the logic while some are still chasing their shadows and are yet to understand that false knowledge is more dangerous than ignorance. In all, investing your money in anything is your personal choice.

It’s pointless to set goals if you are not going to try to hit them. For instance, whether Treasury Bills and Mutual Funds are nonsense or not, i love locking my money there for a reason wink grin.

1 Like

Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by smartideas170: 4:16pm On May 19, 2018
101 PLACES TO BORROW MONEY IN NIGERIA

One of the challenges of business men and
women, traders or investors is
FINANCE or CAPITAL.
No matter how little the capital you need to
start up may look at, if you dont have it or
cant get it, certainly you can not start
the business.
There are so many Ways a smart investor
can use to raise capital or finance
for their businesses, they are
1. Personal savings
2. Family and friends
3. Cooperative
4. Micro finance
5. Angel investors
6. Loan

1. Personal savings: This is usually the first
step, as an investor or a trader or an entreprenuer
you should have something in your account or a token
to start with, majority of business men and women
will need XYZ amount for their businesses and want
to raise all from loans or other sources, you need
#1m for your business and you want to raise all from
micro finance bank,commercial bank or finance houses
that is the beginning of failure, even micro finance
banks will surely request for equity contribution
which they see as your commitment to the process,
safe certain percentage of your income or salary.

2. Family and friends: this is another smart way
an investor can use to raise caiptal for his or
her business.The truth of the matter is that
"No one trust you better than or knows you
better than your friends". But sourcing capital
or finance for your business from family and
friends requires a lot of INTEGRITY.
You must good INTEGRITY or GOODWILL or REPUTATION
before them.
Also, in using this window or option, please note
Dont meet one person, spread your options. eg
If you need #500,000 capital, #50k from ten (10)
family and friends will give you #500k, dont focus
on one person because it may be too huge or big for
one person to give you #500k.

I will continue from next time.

For 101 places to borrow money from in Nigeria with or without collateral visit
http://businessandfunding..com.ng/

For more information, call
Sam
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by hias2012(m): 6:56pm On May 19, 2018
Indeed, OmonnakOda on this topic has repeatedly provided very rich and useful financial advice like he has been paid to provide financial advice on this topic. His submission on age factor and risk has underpinned facts not many people understand about investing. Like others who have advised along his lines of thoughts have equally done justice to this topic. TB in Nigeria as of last year yielded returns up and above 18% at some point. With TB you collect your interest upfront, which makes it attractive. Rates are going down now drastically, unfortunately. However, mutual funds in Nigeria, particularly the ones on Money Market, all of which are also regulated, rides mainly on the back of TB - and with a perk, and they are safe. So consider the age and risk factors to decide on which investment best suits you as advised by OmonnakOda. Happy investing.
Re: Shares (stocks) Or Mutual Funds? by dotcomnamename: 3:13pm On May 20, 2018
francdec4:
Greetings please which mutual fund type (money market or equity etc) do you recommend añd what's your personal experience. Also whàt did you notice iñ terms of reruns after investing same àmount in TB and Mutual fund...which hàs a better return at same interval. Thanks

Invest your money with StanbicIBTC (Money Market Funds) and your money is safe. Rate is going down but half bread is better than none. The more you're still considering whether to go ahead or not the more the rate may be going down. So its better to lock in your money now. Good luck.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

To Build Another House Or Invest In Business / One most precious resource you must be very smart with if you want to be rich / Is Web.jiont2.com Legit Or Scam? Find Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.