Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,487 members, 7,819,761 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:40 PM

Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? (2048 Views)

Lady Cries Uncontrollably After Genotype Ended Her 3 Years Relationship(vid,pix) / Which one of these ladies would you consider for marriage? / Lady: Major Reason We Waste Guys' Time Before Saying Yes Or No (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Benard94(m): 6:34pm On Apr 22, 2018
A genotype is the entire genetic constitution of an individual, i.e. the genetic makeup of an organism or group of organisms with reference to a single trait, set of traits, or an entire complex of traits. In a nutshell: your genotype is your complete heritable genetic identity; the sum total of genes transmitted from parent to offspring.

There are four hemoglobin genotypes (hemoglobin pairs/formations) in humans: AA, AS, SS and AC (uncommon). SS and AC are the abnormal genotypes or the sickle cells . We all have a specific pair of these hemoglobin in our blood which we inherited from both parents.

The major issue with genotype match comes from the desk of the AS duos. Going ahead with it has been termed a risky gamble,while others have proved that they gave birth to no SS despite being AS.

The raging issue now is this.... Should one ask after the genotype before saying YES because of heartbreaks?
And how do one handle a loving partner with a genotype mismatch?

AA + AA = Excellent
AA + AS = Good
AA + SS = Fair
AS + AS = Bad
AS + SS = Very Bad
SS + SS = Extremely Bad (In fact, don’t try it)

Reasonable arguments please...

2 Likes

Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Jaykolo10(m): 6:47pm On Apr 22, 2018
That's the most wisest thing to do.. at least even the best knowledgeable thing to do..

cry
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Benard94(m): 6:54pm On Apr 22, 2018
Jaykolo10:
That's the most wisest thing to do.. at least even the best knowledgeable thing to do..

cry

What is wisest and knowledgeable thing Mr.?
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Jaykolo10(m): 6:57pm On Apr 22, 2018
Benard94:

What is wisest and knowledgeable thing Mr.?

Check your genotype before marriage Mr.

cry
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Benard94(m): 6:59pm On Apr 22, 2018
Jaykolo10:

Check your genotype before marriage Mr.

cry

I am not talking about marriage... I mean accepting a proposal
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Jaykolo10(m): 7:01pm On Apr 22, 2018
Benard94:

I am not talking about marriage... I mean accepting a proposal
A proposal leads to marriage...

cry
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by blackylola(m): 7:03pm On Apr 22, 2018
Benard94:
A genotype is the entire genetic constitution of an individual, i.e. the genetic makeup of an organism or group of organisms with reference to a single trait, set of traits, or an entire complex of traits. In a nutshell: your genotype is your complete heritable genetic identity; the sum total of genes transmitted from parent to offspring.

There are four hemoglobin genotypes (hemoglobin pairs/formations) in humans: AA, AS, SS and AC (uncommon). SS and AC are the abnormal genotypes or the sickle cells . We all have a specific pair of these hemoglobin in our blood which we inherited from both parents.

The major issue with genotype match comes from the desk of the AS duos. Going ahead with it has been termed a risky gamble,while others have proved that they gave birth to no SS despite being AS.

The raging issue now is this.... Should one ask after the genotype before saying YES because of heartbreaks?
And how do one handle a loving partner with a genotype mismatch?

AA + AA = Excellent
AA + AS = Good
AA + SS = Fair
AS + AS = Bad
AS + SS = Very Bad
SS + SS = Extremely Bad (In fact, don’t try it)

Reasonable arguments please...
is AS and AC not the same
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Mcy56(f): 7:49pm On Apr 22, 2018
Emphatic YES!
Genotype should be considered before dating self, to avoid stories that touch.
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Seun(m): 8:10pm On Apr 22, 2018
If your genotype is AS or SS, you should know your partner’s genotype long before he even thinks about proposing to marry you.

If your genotype is AA, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. You can even marry someone with the SS genotype; your children will all be healthy with respect to this condition. They will even enjoy increased resistance to malaria.

15 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by highpriestess: 8:11pm On Apr 22, 2018
Seun:
If your genotype is AS or SS, you should know your partner’s genotype long before he even thinks about proposing to marry you. If your genotype is AA, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. You can even marry someone with SS genotype; your children will be healthy but will have to watch who they marry.
shocked
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Lonestar124: 8:23pm On Apr 22, 2018
Seun:
If your genotype is AS or SS, you should know your partner’s genotype long before he even thinks about proposing to marry you.

If your genotype is AA, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. You can even marry someone with the SS genotype; your children will all be healthy with respect to this condition.
A great personality has spoken.You don't need to be perturbed if your genotype is AA.....But in my case and majority persons in and outside this forum it will be certain we don't know our genotype talk more of our opposite partner
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by MissRaine69(f): 8:30pm On Apr 22, 2018
If we are honest with ourselves this question should be posed way before the status of relationship is confirmed giving both parties choice .

1 Like

Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by MissRaine69(f): 8:35pm On Apr 22, 2018
blackylola:

Hope this helps.
Genotype AA: At position 6 of both globin chains, the amino acid is GLUTAMATE

Genotype AS: At position 6 of one globin chain is GLUTAMATE and at position 6 of the second globin chain, you have VALINE

Genotype SS: At position 6 of both globin chains, the amino acid is VALINE

Genotype AC: At position 6 of one globin chain is GLUTAMATE and at position 6 of the second globin chain, you have LYSINE

1 Like

Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Ejiod(m): 8:38pm On Apr 22, 2018
MissRaine69:

Hope this helps.
Genotype AA: At position 6 of both globin chains, the amino acid is GLUTAMATE

Genotype AS: At position 6 of one globin chain is GLUTAMATE and at position 6 of the second globin chain, you have VALINE

Genotype SS: At position 6 of both globin chains, the amino acid is VALINE

Genotype AC: At position 6 of one globin chain is GLUTAMATE and at position 6 of the second globin chain, you have LYSINE
Biochemistry cool.
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Ejiod(m): 9:10pm On Apr 22, 2018
I would differ to some comments here about saying yes, the basic fear is that of getting sickle cell offspring. However with medical advancement like Chorionic villus sampling & amioncentesis I guess there's high chance preventing this genetic disorder if the 2 couples truly love each other. To me its only in Africa that we carry genotype on top our head.genetic engineering has a lot of answers to these issue.
Besides sickle cell is not the only genetic disorder, some may be carrying dominant
or recessive genetic disorders and they Dont know and they go and marry only for them to give birth to autistic, or down syndrome kids.
In summary I will go for YES so as to prevent what u can't bear
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Benard94(m): 9:23pm On Apr 22, 2018
blackylola:

Not the same

1 Like

Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Benard94(m): 9:32pm On Apr 22, 2018
MissRaine69:
If we are honest with ourselves this question should be posed way before the status of relationship is confirmed giving both parties choice .

All these 'I love you' that would have gone for a long time before discovering the duos are AS. Handling such could be hard... If we should even ask, how many people here know their genotype?

It's hard because people fall in love before thinking of genotype
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Benard94(m): 9:38pm On Apr 22, 2018
Seun:

If your genotype is AA, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about. You can even marry someone with the SS genotype; your children will all be healthy with respect to this condition. They will even enjoy increased resistance to malaria.

If they had gone on a long road of erotics and love frenzy... How will they handle the ocean of love they are swimming?
At least we can't ask about genotype before you woo a lady...
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by MissRaine69(f): 10:58pm On Apr 22, 2018
Benard94:

All these 'I love you' that would have gone for a long time before discovering the duos are AS. Handling such could be hard... If we should even ask, how many people here know their genotype?

It's hard because people fall in love before thinking of genotype

If you see what I initially wrote ....” if we are honest” I am not oblivious to the fact that most allow the emotional mind to take over making decision making very difficult.
Before the “I love you’s” set in stone when you are still toying with the notion of is he or is she the one ask the most important question that will determine if children are a viable option or a huge risk.
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by SoapQueen(f): 11:30pm On Apr 22, 2018
No.. Do not please, continue being selfish and see the repercussions. Love is not enough sometimes. When you birth SS kids, you'd hate yourself for life .
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Benard94(m): 5:40am On Apr 23, 2018
MissRaine69:

If you see what I initially wrote ....” if we are honest” I am not oblivious to the fact that most allow the emotional mind to take over making decision making very difficult.
Before the “I love you’s” set in stone when you are still toying with the notion of is he or is she the one ask the most important question that will determine if children are a viable option or a huge risk.

Good point
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Nobody: 7:21am On Apr 23, 2018
The answer doesn't have to be "no" if they other person is a mismatch (i.e AS + AS) as there are ways to get around it but it's always important to know these things to prevent the possible disaster that could ensue
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Nobody: 7:26am On Apr 23, 2018
Ejiod:
I would differ to some comments here about saying yes, the basic fear is that of getting sickle cell offspring. However with medical advancement like Chorionic villus sampling & amioncentesis I guess there's high chance preventing this genetic disorder if the 2 couples truly love each other. To me its only in Africa that we carry genotype on top our head.genetic engineering has a lot of answers to these issue.
Besides sickle cell is not the only genetic disorder, some may be carrying dominant
or recessive genetic disorders and they Dont know and they go and marry only for them to give birth to autistic, or down syndrome kids.
The reason why it's only in Africa that we carry this genotype issue on our head is because it's a well known fact that the AS genotype is almost exclusively found in Africans and those of African descent. Reason for this is that AS red blood cells are highly resistant to malaria which is a favoured trait in a continent where malaria is prevalent. People with rhis favoured trait therefore are more likely to survive and pass this on (so higher AS pop). However AS + AS could lead to SS, hence the need to know these things

PS, autism isn't genetic, It's a spectrum disorder and neither is down syndrome which is caused by an extra chromosome

1 Like

Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Ejiod(m): 10:56am On Apr 23, 2018
trustyshoess:

The reason why it's only in Africa that we carry this genotype issue on our head is because it's a well known fact that the AS genotype is almost exclusively found in Africans and those of African descent. Reason for this is that AS red blood cells are highly resistant to malaria which is a favoured trait in a continent where malaria is prevalent. People with rhis favoured trait therefore are more likely to survive and pass this on (so higher AS pop). However AS + AS could lead to SS, hence the need to know these things

PS, autism isn't genetic, It's a spectrum disorder and neither is down syndrome which is caused by an extra chromosome
Dear, u can check this link. Its Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_autism.
Meanwhile I still have many article from ncbi showing those disorders I mentioned as genetic. Research has gone far dear
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Nobody: 11:13am On Apr 23, 2018
Ejiod:

Dear, u can check this link. Its Wikipedia
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritability_of_autism.
Meanwhile I still have many article from ncbi showing those disorders I mentioned as genetic. Research has gone far dear
Okay maybe I wasn't clear enough. Autism and Downs syndrome are indeed genetic disorders because they are caused by faulty genes. However, what I meant to relay earlier was that they are not hereditary, therefore they aren't passed on from parents to children. It is even highly unlikely that a downs patient could have children as most are infertile.
It is true tho, that the conditions could be spotted during early pregnancy through genetic tests on the embryo
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by MissRaine69(f): 12:38pm On Apr 23, 2018
Ejiod:
Autism and Down syndrome are not genetic and the issue of advancement in terms stem cell (bone marrow transplant) treatment is the option offered ( where I work) the only issue being the high incident of leukaemia later as well as Graft versus host disease are complications that arise ( not with everyone) Due to high costs of stem cell and the availabity of donors stem cell is not a priority treatment unless there are exceptional reasons or it’s self funding.

1 Like

Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Ejiod(m): 7:42pm On Apr 23, 2018
trustyshoess:

Okay maybe I wasn't clear enough. Autism and Downs syndrome are indeed genetic disorders because they are caused by faulty genes. However, what I meant to relay earlier was that they are not hereditary, therefore they aren't passed on from parents to children. It is even highly unlikely that a downs patient could have children as most are infertile.
It is true tho, that the conditions could be spotted during early pregnancy through genetic tests on the embryo
Dear, I fully understand what u meant. I was inadvertently going deep. I was a geneticist b4 retiring my boot all thanks to python. The term "genetic" is broader than what people see as being hereditary. To me knowing ur genotype remains the best option b4 saying I DO. however it shows that there's always limit to love most especially when there's a conflict with AS/AS madly in love with each other. Subjecting a child to being sickler due to "love" is pure wickedness!..

1 Like

Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Johnholmes: 10:07am On Apr 24, 2018
Ejiod:
Clap for yourself.
Easier said than done. You sabi genetics Abi?
From Wat you are saying the couple should be ready for deliberate conscious abortions.
What if God decides to "bless" the couple's first 7 conceptions with ss genotype?
That means they will have 7 abortions .
Do u know the psychological, financial, spiritual and health implications of that?
What about the toll it will take on the relationship ? It's then you'll know that love can fail.
It's best to just avoid the stress.
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Benard94(m): 8:52pm On Apr 24, 2018
trustyshoess:
The answer doesn't have to be "no" if they other person is a mismatch (i.e AS + AS) as there are ways to get around it but it's always important to know these things to prevent the possible disaster that could ensue

U mean AS+AS can work it out? How?
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Nobody: 9:06pm On Apr 24, 2018
Benard94:

U mean AS+AS can work it out? How?
Yes it can. There's more to a marriage than having kids. If kids are that important, adoption is an option. Also, IVF is an option where there will be a sickle cell screening to eliminate affected embryos and only implant the AS/AA embryos.
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by tunize(m): 10:22pm On Apr 24, 2018
trustyshoess:
So what are the ways to get around it??
Re: Should You Consider Genotype Before Saying YES? by Nobody: 2:15am On Apr 25, 2018
tunize:

So what are the ways to get around it??
If kids are that important, adoption is an option. Also, IVF is an option where there will be a sickle cell screening to eliminate affected embryos and only implant the AS/AA embryos.

(1) (Reply)

How Can I Get To Benin City From Abuja?? / About The "Miseducations" Bruhaha / How do I stop thinking about her? I'm hopelessly in love with her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.