Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,000 members, 7,817,960 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:00 AM

Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... (62249 Views)

You Shouldn’t Own A Car If You Are A Tenant — Financial Guru Advises Nigerians / Buy & Fix Your Motor Windscreen / Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Deprofessional(m): 9:48am On Jan 21, 2019
Motorguru,
please can you educate us on V6 and I4 engine configuration.

Why are people afraid of anything V6?

Why are mechanics always advicing against V6?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 10:35am On Jan 21, 2019
Deprofessional:
Motorguru,
please can you educate us on V6 and I4 engine configuration.

Why are people afraid of anything V6?

Why are mechanics always advicing against V6?

I4 is actually 4 cylinders arranged in a straight line. this is the one of the most common engine configurations due to it's simplicity in design and manufacture. its firing order is usually 1-3-4-2

The v6 engine is actually a 6 cylinder engine that has two banks of 3 cylinders having a "v" configuration usually spaced at 60 degrees(or 90 degrees in the case of some engines found in the Benzes of the 98-05 era). this engine is usually more powerful ( from a naturally aspirated standpoint) and smother to run due to the increased number of cylinders. It is usally more favoured when more power is desired, but at the cost of a slightly higher fuel consumption. its firing order is usually 1-5-3-6-2-4

People are usually afraid of the v6 engine due to one reason : Running cost (fuel consumption). But in reality this may be just a myth as some v6 engines (particularly that from Toyota) can be as efficient as the 4 cylinder variant if your car is driven sensibly.

The advantages of V6? Plenty! It is more robust, ruggedly built and in most cases last much longer than the I4 counterpart. This is due to less engine strain as a typical V6 engine can deliver more power output and torque at lower rpms. And for me, the sweetest aspect is that it is a lot more balanced (less engine vibration) compared to a 4 cylinder (of similar output, for instance)

Most mechanics dont like headache(they are lazy). They would rather prefer the easy way out grin

1st animation is 4 cylinder engine(inline 4) :

2nd picture is the v6 engine

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by citizen202(m): 2:36pm On Jan 21, 2019
MotorGuru:

It may be quite fragile for such sir. Why dont you consider Japanese alternatives?
problem is I hav already bought it ...
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 2:51pm On Jan 21, 2019
citizen202:
problem is I hav already bought it ...

Its alright sir. Just fix it properly(the overheating problem), monitor your gauges religiously, change oils and fliuds when due and you should be good to go.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Jmyno1H(m): 6:32pm On Jan 21, 2019
Please my Acura MDX throttle just won't raise beyond 2000rpm after the first time and I noticed the ATF/Temp indicator light flashing when I try rasing it beyond the 2000rpm mark. This makes it loose power and have to gradually accelerate to avoid going beyond the 2000rpm mark.

I was managing the car after the first time my mechanic worked on it and everything seems normal again but suddenly it started again but this time with a jerking sound when I try to accelerate quickly.

I also noticed that it drains battery when parked for more than 2 to 3 days but no issue when I use the car at least daily.

What could be the problem? My mechanic seems not to know which sensor is faulty, he just kept saying is electrical.

Thanks so much for the anticipated assistance.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by citizen202(m): 8:13pm On Jan 21, 2019
MotorGuru:

Its alright sir. Just fix it properly(the overheating problem), monitor your gauges religiously, change oils and fliuds when due and you should be good to go.
OK boss tank u
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by bleedingpile: 8:26pm On Jan 21, 2019
Well done and good job.
Please, I need your help ,I am stuck in between 3 options Nigeria-use namely , MDX 2003
Honda CRV 2003, Toyota rav4 2002. Could you please give me your opinion cos I am very lost right now. I don't want to end up draining my pocket as this is my first ... I want a vehicle that's pocket friendly to manage,maintain and doesn't give much issues.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by kingreign(m): 9:52pm On Jan 21, 2019
^^^^
The moniker tho! shocked angry undecided
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:22am On Jan 22, 2019
Jmyno1H:

Please my Acura MDX throttle just won't raise beyond 2000rpm after the first time and I noticed the ATF/Temp indicator light flashing when I try rasing it beyond the 2000rpm mark. This makes it loose power and have to gradually accelerate to avoid going beyond the 2000rpm mark.

I was managing the car after the first time my mechanic worked on it and everything seems normal again but suddenly it started again but this time with a jerking sound when I try to accelerate quickly.

I also noticed that it drains battery when parked for more than 2 to 3 days but no issue when I use the car at least daily.

What could be the problem? My mechanic seems not to know which sensor is faulty, he just kept saying is electrical.

Thanks so much for the anticipated assistance.
Take your vehicle for a scan. You may be having problems with your gearbox, specifically your ATF oil temperature sensor or its wiring.
You also may be having electrical issues. Look for a good electrician to check it out.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:25am On Jan 22, 2019
bleedingpile:
Well done and good job.
Please, I need your help ,I am stuck in between 3 options Nigeria-use namely , MDX 2003
Honda CRV 2003, Toyota rav4 2002. Could you please give me your opinion cos I am very lost right now. I don't want to end up draining my pocket as this is my first ... I want a vehicle that's pocket friendly to manage,maintain and doesn't give much issues.

Well, for easy to maintain and pocket friendly, i would stick between the CRV and the RAv4

But for the rav4, check for any sign of transmission trouble (harsh engagement in D or R, harsh shifting). Also check and ensure the temperature gauge is working properly.

For the CRV, Check the operation of the AC compressor.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:25am On Jan 22, 2019
kingreign:
^^^^
The moniker tho! shocked angry undecided
grin
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by bleedingpile: 8:54am On Jan 22, 2019
MotorGuru:

Well, for easy to maintain and pocket friendly, i would stick between the CRV and the RAv4

But for the rav4, check for any sign of transmission trouble (harsh engagement in D or R, harsh shifting). Also check and ensure the temperature gauge is working properly.

For the CRV, Check the operation of the AC compressor.

Thanks a lot.
Well, with plenty wahala you listed on rav4 I think I am saying " no no" hence I will stick with CRV but my only fear is the leg pulling issue,what's your take on that?, and I notice you skipped MDX please I need your opinion on that along with 2006 Mitsubishi outlander. Oga guru please oo you help will go along way.

And thanks so far.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by tjfasasi(m): 9:40am On Jan 22, 2019
Good day MotorGuru, thanks for the great work of knowledge impartation here, between a 2008 Volvo XC90 3.2L, 2008 Sienna, 2008 Toyota Highlander and 2008 Honda Pilot (all tokunbo). How will you rate them on general terms, reliability, maintenance: fuel efficiency and service parts cost.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Inception(m): 7:25pm On Jan 22, 2019
tjfasasi:
Good day MotorGuru, thanks for the great work of knowledge impartation here, between a 2008 Volvo XC90 3.2L, 2008 Sienna, 2008 Toyota Highlander and 2008 Honda Pilot (all tokunbo). How will you rate them on general terms, reliability, maintenance: fuel efficiency and service parts cost.

I would go for the highlander.Toyota reliability that is legendary.

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:36am On Jan 23, 2019
Inception:

I would go for the highlander.Toyota reliability that is legendary.

Smart move sir. wink

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by felmade: 3:31pm On Jan 23, 2019
MotorGuru:

Smart move sir. wink
How much would it cost to change the automatic transmission of 2010 Toyota Corolla?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 3:39pm On Jan 23, 2019
felmade:

How much would it cost to change the automatic transmission of 2010 Toyota Corolla?

Transmission alone should be around 120k

Cc. Gazzuzz
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Nobody: 3:53pm On Jan 23, 2019
MotorGuru:

Transmission alone should be around 120k

Cc. Gazzuzz
Looks like all transmissions are 120k grin
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by JAYUK(m): 7:45pm On Jan 23, 2019
Good day,kindly assist me unravel this issue,while driving between 40 to 80 kmphr,humming sound comes from the rear part of the vehicle,mecho diagnosed rear hub,i bought a used tokunboh hub no change,i also bought a brand new hub still no change,the humming is still there,vehicle is an RX 330 FWD 2005,am now confused,please help out.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 10:19pm On Jan 23, 2019
JAYUK:
Good day,kindly assist me unravel this issue,while driving between 40 to 80 kmphr,humming sound comes from the rear part of the vehicle,mecho diagnosed rear hub,i bought a used tokunboh hub no change,i also bought a brand new hub still no change,the humming is still there,vehicle is an RX 330 FWD 2005,am now confused,please help out.

Hope you are not using winter spec tires at your rear?
I would have said your diff. But you said the car is FWD.
Post spec of tire here.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by shaddi(m): 11:47pm On Jan 23, 2019
Does changing of an engine affect the brainbox?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 7:40am On Jan 24, 2019
shaddi:
Does changing of an engine affect the brainbox?

Brainbox must be matched to the engine specification of vehicle. If not car may not even start.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 1:14pm On Jan 24, 2019
here for you!
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by shaddi(m): 9:50pm On Jan 24, 2019
The car has been moving fine but the car fuel consumption is really high and emits black smoke, so my mechanic adviced me to change brainbox .
MotorGuru:

Brainbox must be matched to the engine specification of vehicle. If not car may not even start.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 12:25am On Jan 25, 2019
shaddi:
The car has been moving fine but the car fuel consumption is really high and emits black smoke, so my mechanic adviced me to change brainbox .

Kindly perform a scan sir and post the codes here.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Aaaaarghmed(m): 1:25am On Jan 25, 2019
hello ,pls my Honda accord 1999 Ac gets finished quickly.the person who checked it said my compressor is leaking,pls how do I go about it because I want to be sure so DAT I wud not be ripped off
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by wilsonjay: 2:01pm On Jan 25, 2019
During last December i travelled with my Rav 4 to osun state, on my way back it it was not selecting gear as usual i stopped to check . but everything looks fine.After travelling for some kilometers i noticed the car overheating. i stopped an allowed to cool down. To cut the long story short the gasket was burnt. i took it to the mechanic for gasket replacement and some other work which they did, but i was surprised it does no,t go to idle state again after starting. we discover that the ECM was burnt, which i later changed. The mechanic said the only option is to change the engine cylinder. Now with all what have spent the car is still over heating . PLEASE ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED IN SOLVING THIS PROBLEM
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 2:59pm On Jan 25, 2019
wilsonjay:
During last December i travelled with my Rav 4 to osun state, on my way back it it was not selecting gear as usual i stopped to check . but everything looks fine.After travelling for some kilometers i noticed the car overheating. i stopped an allowed to cool down. To cut the long story short the gasket was burnt. i took it to the mechanic for gasket replacement and some other work which they did, but i was surprised it does no,t go to idle state again after starting. we discover that the ECM was burnt, which i later changed. The mechanic said the only option is to change the engine cylinder. Now with all what have spent the car is still over heating . PLEASE ANY ADVICE WILL BE APPRECIATED IN SOLVING THIS PROBLEM

This is serious. if you are in Lagos contact Gazzuzz

your engine is seriously damaged and the ECU also.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by afuyebusayo: 3:13pm On Jan 25, 2019
Please which mobil gear oil is good for Honda accord EOD?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 7:00pm On Jan 25, 2019
afuyebusayo:
Please which mobil gear oil is good for Honda accord EOD?

Use only Honda Dw1 ATF
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Nicholas4(m): 9:41pm On Jan 25, 2019
Good evening Motoguru. I posted earlier about my toyota corolla airbag light that didn't go off and suggested a new srs ECU. I'm about ordering another SRS ECU. Must the part number of the new one be identical with that of the old. The faulty one is 89170-02L00 while the one I'm buying is 89170-02190. Both 2004 corolla . Please will it work
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by shaddi(m): 12:24am On Jan 26, 2019
MotorGuru:

Kindly perform a scan sir and post the codes here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society / Volkswagen Says Goodbye To Iconic Beetle (ijapa) With This Emotional Video / Would You Buy This Joystick & Butt-Shaped Car? (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.