Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,026 members, 7,810,829 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... (62063 Views)

You Shouldn’t Own A Car If You Are A Tenant — Financial Guru Advises Nigerians / Buy & Fix Your Motor Windscreen / Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:57am On Apr 23, 2018
Free and unbiased consultations on vehicle diagnosis and fixes.

I am ready so Fire on!
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 1:24pm On Apr 23, 2018
Here for you.

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 4:00pm On Apr 23, 2018
here
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 7:56am On Apr 24, 2018
here for you
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by zeekleo(m): 1:19am On May 06, 2018
I'm planning to buy a(not boxed up to buy newer cars) Nissan alitma 2000 Used how reliable is it regarding parts
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Nobody: 6:31pm On May 06, 2018
MotorGuru:
here for you

A 2001 Acura MDX, tyre dimension - 235/55R17. Can a tyre of 265/65R17 fit it well without affecting the balance of the car while on speed? Secondly, will my old rim still fit into the new tyre or do I need to purchase another rim?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by HoodBillionaire: 7:28am On May 07, 2018
i ride a 08crv
i bought it clean title in 2013 toks all d way from texas by my senior bros.
by 2015 my yung sista hit the bonet on fence
begining of problem
ac compressor packed up in 2015
from thr faulty guage 2016
door lock does not work again.i have to lock it manually
when i drive .ans i park.it alwys look like i park sideways
af done alignment in mobil forte oil twice
d thing don tire me.
i saw driver tyre is almost gone
how can i fix back my ac.im fed up of quacka
nw i have to buy mobil 1 5litres oil 16k today
my oil life is on 10%
i need help
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:51am On May 07, 2018
zeekleo:
I'm planning to buy a(not boxed up to buy newer cars) Nissan alitma 2000 Used how reliable is it regarding parts

Not a bad car... Should be cheap to run. However you may have to prepare yourself for a possible intake manifold gasket leak, which can cause serious engine vibration.

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:56am On May 07, 2018
FrancisDozie:

A 2001 Acura MDX, tyre dimension - 235/55R17. Can a tyre of 265/65R17 fit it well without affecting the balance of the car while on speed? Secondly, will my old rim still fit into the new tyre or do I need to purchase another rim?

I actually have a problem with the Tire width here (235 vs 265) with respect to the old rim. It is not compatible in my opinion
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 9:05am On May 07, 2018
HoodBillionaire:
i ride a 08crv
i bought it clean title in 2013 toks all d way from texas by my senior bros.
by 2015 my yung sista hit the bonet on fence
begining of problem
ac compressor packed up in 2015
from thr faulty guage 2016
door lock does not work again.i have to lock it manually
when i drive .ans i park.it alwys look like i park sideways
af done alignment in mobil forte oil twice
d thing don tire me.
i saw driver tyre is almost gone
how can i fix back my ac.im fed up of quacka
nw i have to buy mobil 1 5litres oil 16k today
my oil life is on 10%
i need help

How bad was the impact sir? was the chassis rail affected, if yes then the car must have incurred serious structural misalignment that may cause it to lose alignment and eating up tires. A quick test to this: Get somebody to drive the car for you while you stand exactly at the center rear of the car. let the car drive away from you and check if you can see the two front tires exactly between the two rear ones.

For your AC, you may need to perform complete diagnosis on your ac system- checking if compressor still operates, check condenser for leaks( was it replaced after the impact?)

As per your gauge, which of them specifically? is it one or all of them that is not working?

Your door actuators may have simply worn out. you might just need to replace them.

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by HoodBillionaire: 11:09am On May 07, 2018
no not serious impact
d hood and d honda logo got damagaed
minor accident
well i think its d follow come tyres at d drivers side i need to change cos ive not changed it since it follow come.changed all 3 tyres except d drivers tyre.
then i hear some kimd of noise when i climb bumby road.like a metal hitting something at passengers side..before my quack rewire touvhed my guage.it was working fully.changed d filter and all. bought fuel of 4000naira

still ddnt read
was reading empty tank
den after 3days it showed d fuel was on 7bars
den d following day it shows fuel empty
so even if i buy fuel of 3k
it still shows tank empty/fuel tank sign om dashboard.
my crv just needs resetting
body work
d compressor is the third and all af burnt within 3months
they say eod compressor dey work for crv
but after every it will burn and be giving me heat
ibadan don tire me
do u have any idea for the door actuator for crv 08 model.
im now using key to lock and open.
remote sef nor work again
MotorGuru:

How bad was the impact sir? was the chassis rail affected, if yes then the car must have incurred serious structural misalignment that may cause it to lose alignment and eating up tires. A quick test to this: Get somebody to drive the car for you while you stand exactly at the center rear of the car. let the car drive away from you and check if you can see the two front tires exactly between the two rear ones.

For your AC, you may need to perform complete diagnosis on your ac system- checking if compressor still operates, check condenser for leaks( was it replaced after the impact?)

As per your gauge, which of them specifically? is it one or all of them that is not working?

Your door actuators may have simply worn out. you might just need to replace them.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MrFinbarr(m): 5:31pm On May 07, 2018
Good day. My 2005 Toyota Camry V6 consumes relatively more fuel. I took it to a mechanic and he said it's from the Catalyst. One of the catalyst was removed.
How true can this be? I wanna learn too.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by EPIJOE: 9:31pm On May 09, 2018
Guru pls help my sienna 2005 Toyota temp starts rising once I out on the AC. I checked the fans they are working well, after I put off the Ac engine will work well
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Dominikus: 11:59pm On May 09, 2018
MotorGuru:
Free and unbiased consultations on vehicle diagnosis and fixes.

I am ready so Fire on!
Good Evening Bros, please I would like to know the fuel consumption rate of a 2003 Acura MDX, considering purchasing one. And can you state amount of fuel one can buy to get the S.U.V through a week's usage considering the 3.5l V6 engine. Anticipating your reply, Thanks
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 2:49pm On May 16, 2018
Dominikus:

Good Evening Bros, please I would like to know the fuel consumption rate of a 2003 Acura MDX, considering purchasing one. And can you state amount of fuel one can buy to get the S.U.V through a week's usage considering the 3.5l V6 engine. Anticipating your reply, Thanks

That SUV is not economical when considering fuel consumption. the quantity of fuel depends on a lot of factors: vehicle condition, adequately tuned engine,, tire pressure, etc

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by J0hnTrevolt(m): 5:34pm On May 16, 2018
51 Miles on 13 litres gives 14.85 miles per gallon.

I want to believe that this is city movement. Well although it is well below the standard (18 mpg city for your car) and ac was not used, i think your car might need a tuneup. have your car been scanned to ensure your oxygen sensors are working? when last did you change your air filter? what is the mileage of your car? has the spark pluges ever been changed to OEM recommended? how about tire pressure?
(Quote) (Share)

Tnx @MotorGuru. This was ur response to my enquiry. I was banned by spambot on auto section.
Please I need u to explain more on the bolded so I can give my mechanic instructions on what to do.

The O2 plug was all changed to NGK spark plugs. Oxygen sensor, air filter, tyre pressure are all OK.
Mileage of vehicle is 246000.
Tnx
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by inas911(m): 6:11pm On May 16, 2018
Hey MotoGuru.. Am considering purchasing a Mazda product. I am also considering purchasing a Nigerian Used and my Budget is 700k. Which of these Mazda products you think will be OK for me in terms of Cheap parts, No too much wahala and low fuel consumption.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 9:52pm On Dec 24, 2018
inas911:
Hey MotoGuru.. Am considering purchasing a Mazda product. I am also considering purchasing a Nigerian Used and my Budget is 700k. Which of these Mazda products you think will be OK for me in terms of Cheap parts, No too much wahala and low fuel consumption.

Used or toks sir?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Sircreeden(m): 5:31pm On Dec 28, 2018
Please house I'm about to choose from this both Nigeria used Benz E320 2005 v6 engine.... And Benz C180 2003 4 plug

Which of this cars OK...

Please need your urgent advice

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:09pm On Dec 28, 2018
Sircreeden:
Please house I'm about to choose from this both Nigeria used Benz E320 2005 v6 engine.... And Benz C180 2003 4 plug

Which of this cars OK...

Please need your urgent advice

Interesting choice of cars sir.
The C180 is a little too underpowered. Meaning you might struggle to get it up to speed when on demand . it is the pre facelift model, so expect some gremlins that might come up once in a while which may be more frequent, as it is a Nigerian used car, Please ensure that this car is NOT CONVERTED! Most cars having this engine specification are usually from Ireland and the UK.

The E320 seems to be a better choice to me, although I would be very wary of the SBC system or in layman terms; brake by wire. The unit wears out after certain number of brake depressal, or at specific high mileages. It is also Nigerian used, so due diligence must be sought. Please remember this is not your regular Toyota or Honda product.

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Nobody: 8:33pm On Dec 28, 2018
Oga Guru,

How u dey? If I pack my 2018 lexus LX 570 for my garage without use for 3 years and return to it.
Wetin go happen to the engine and the configuration? I want travel. Abegi!!!
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Vbabs(m): 2:31pm On Dec 29, 2018
I drive a Honda Accord 05.

1. When I start in the morning the engine idles at 0.5RPM, as such drags and vibration are felt. But when warm it goes up to 0.8RPM.

The usual behavior I expect is to have about 1.2RPM when cold and it lowers to 0.8 when warmed up.

2. When warmed up and I shift gear to drive, the RPM drops from 0.8 to 0.5.

Kindly advice.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 2:55pm On Dec 29, 2018
Onigastephen:
Oga Guru,

How u dey? If I pack my 2018 lexus LX 570 for my garage without use for 3 years and return to it.
Wetin go happen to the engine and the configuration? I want travel. Abegi!!!

I am very good sir.
That is quite a long time to store a vehicle in a tropical climate without any form of activity (warming up, driving etc).
Anyways , this is what i would advise you to do:

1.Give the car a proper wash (including the undercarriage in particular) and ensure there is no mud gathering anywhere. Then if possible, wax the car.
2. drain the oil and replace with fresh oil and filter
3. Ensure that there is at least half tank of fuel in the tank. then if possible, look for fuel stabilizer to reduce the possibility of varnish forming in the fuel tank
4.Park the car under a shade or in a garage to protect from rain and sunshine(i would personally not use tarpaulin)
5. Remove the battery and store in a safe place
6. Transmission must be in park(of course) and do not engage the parking brake to prevent pads from sticking.
7. Inflate the tires to above pressure specs or better still, Place the car on jack stands
8. use rat poison or traps around car and engine bay to prevent damage to wires
9. Use desiccant (or camphor ) in car
10. Pray to God.

10 Likes

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 3:02pm On Dec 29, 2018
Vbabs:
I drive a Honda Accord 05.

1. When I start in the morning the engine idles at 0.5RPM, as such drags and vibration are felt. But when warm it goes up to 0.8RPM.

The usual behavior I expect is to have about 1.2RPM when cold and it lowers to 0.8 when warmed up.

2. When warmed up and I shift gear to drive, the RPM drops from 0.8 to 0.5.

Kindly advice.

starting the car in the morning (cold start), engine rpm should be at least over 1000 rpm to allow quick engine warm-up, before it settles to around 650-750 rpm(on most cars). yours not doing that could signal a problem with the idle control system or coolant temperature sensor not giving signal to ensure idle up of engine. please perform a scan to ascertain what the problem is and while at it , ensure your temperature gauge is reading properly.

Putting your gear to drive usually loads the engine and causes rpm drop, but should not cause noticeable vibration. scan vehicle and post results here sir.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Vbabs(m): 3:59pm On Dec 29, 2018
Thanks for the prompt response.

Currently there is no error code. Last error code was throttle body position sensor. The sensor was replaced and check engine light went off.

Temperature gauge reads normally. After warm up the temperature gauge needle stays a little close to middle.

MotorGuru:

starting the car in the morning (cold start), engine rpm should be at least over 1000 rpm to allow quick engine warm-up, before it settles to around 650-750 rpm(on most cars). yours not doing that could signal a problem with the idle control system or coolant temperature sensor not giving signal to ensure idle up of engine. please perform a scan to ascertain what the problem is and while at it , ensure your temperature gauge is reading properly.

Putting your gear to drive usually loads the engine and causes rpm drop, but should not cause noticeable vibration. scan vehicle and post results here sir.

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Asumns: 11:08pm On Dec 29, 2018
Hello Nairalanders, I need your opinions on how to get my kia sportage diesel engine back to its normal.

Its issues; it just started smoking seriously, dropping oil and it doesn't accelerating any longer.

Incase you want to recommend, Please can I get the persons number? I stay in ibadan
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 11:18pm On Dec 29, 2018
Asumns:
Hello Nairalanders, I need your opinions on how to get my kia sportage diesel engine back to its normal.

Its issues; it just started smoking seriously, dropping oil and it doesn't accelerating any longer.

Incase you want to recommend, Please can I get the persons number? I stay in ibadan

Sorry sir for the predicament.
What is the color of the smoke? Is it pure white? Bluish white? Black?

If it is pure white, you may have to focus on your diesel injectors.you may have bought bad diesel , and the fuel cannot burn properly. In this case, severe engine performance issues will occur(lack of power).

If it is bluish white, then your piston rings or valve stem seals or pcv valve may be damaged.

If it is black, then your injectors may need to be recalibrated, as the car is burning too much fuel.

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by ezebrightike: 1:04am On Dec 30, 2018
My Honda 2004 EOD started something strange a day before yesterday. if I start it in the morning and shift the gear to D it will enter drive well and also move fine but after driving it for like an hour the green light on the gear which is on the dashboard starts blinking and when ever it starts car won't move faster again. thought my gear oil was low but after refilling car still does the same thing the next day
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 11:51am On Dec 30, 2018
ezebrightike:
My Honda 2004 EOD started something strange a day before yesterday. if I start it in the morning and shift the gear to D it will enter drive well and also move fine but after driving it for like an hour the green light on the gear which is on the dashboard starts blinking and when ever it starts car won't move faster again. thought my gear oil was low but after refilling car still does the same thing the next day

It seems your gearbox is beginning to fail. The flashing D light means there is a malfunction in the transmission. Please take the car for a comprehensive diagnostic scan and kindly post codes here.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by ezebrightike: 12:12pm On Dec 30, 2018
MotorGuru:

It seems your gearbox is beginning to fail. The flashing D light means there is a malfunction in the transmission. Please take the car for a comprehensive diagnostic scan and kindly post codes here.

OK I will. Thanks
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Nobody: 1:09pm On Dec 30, 2018
Oga Guru, your advice don safe my car, i believe. may God bless you plenty. 2019 na your own. No bad luck, no disappointment, no misfortune. Plenty plenty new things go come to you. And u shall celebrate. Send me your number (stenicks2000@yahoo.com)
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Sircreeden(m): 6:27pm On Jan 01, 2019
Happy New Year to you motorguru..

Please I'm abit confused now I was planning on getting a Nigeria used Benz E320 after you explained about the SBC of which the seller told me is faulty also said the AC is leaking so I ran lol ....

Now I have another two set of used Nigeria cars again lol but I need your kind advice

Infinite fx35 2005 and BMW x3 2005

Which in terms of Cheap parts and low fuel consumption....but I think both are 6v engines

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

Can You Enter This Kind Of Bus With Your Clear Eyes? (photo) / A Look At 2019 Armoured Mercedes-Maybach S560,Official Car Of President Buhari / This Is What Happens When You Buy A Car To Impress The Society

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.