Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,434 members, 7,823,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... (62387 Views)

You Shouldn’t Own A Car If You Are A Tenant — Financial Guru Advises Nigerians / Buy & Fix Your Motor Windscreen / Ask your Mechanic ! ! ! Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by FrankFrenzy(m): 8:51pm On Jan 28, 2019
MotorGuru:

Very.

OK so you will advise me to get a Nigerian used. I have been so plagued with a lot negative reviews and feedbacks. But from what I have seen you tell others here, strictly using Honda gear oil is key to a seamless transmission system. Thank you much and please be generous enough as you've always been to tell any other thing I should know about the car. I'm on the verge of selling off my Toyota Camry Orobo so as to get the Honda EOD.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 10:15pm On Jan 28, 2019
FrankFrenzy:

OK so you will advise me to get a Nigerian used. I have been so plagued with a lot negative reviews and feedbacks. But from what I have seen you tell others here, strictly using Honda gear oil is key to a seamless transmission system. Thank you much and please be generous enough as you've always been to tell any other thing I should know about the car. I'm on the verge of selling off my Toyota Camry Orobo so as to get the Honda EOD.

The car comes with its own issues ( like any other car on the road). Ensure the ball joints are in good shape, ensure you use only genuine Honda fluids for the gearbox and power steering , and you are good to go.

If you are purchasing naija used, you need to be very careful. Buying an abused one can wreck one financially. Perform a very comprehensive check and inspection before purchase.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Moneystopnonsen: 5:49am On Jan 29, 2019
Toyota Camry 2005( big for nothing) V6

MotorGuru:

What car is this sir?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 5:52am On Jan 29, 2019
Moneystopnonsen:
Toyota Camry 2005( big for nothing) V6

You may be having Transmission problems. Scan your car for codes and if any, post here.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by FrankFrenzy(m): 7:22am On Jan 29, 2019
MotorGuru:

The car comes with its own issues ( like any other car on the road). Ensure the ball joints are in good shape, ensure you use only genuine Honda fluids for the gearbox and power steering , and you are good to go.

If you are purchasing naija used, you need to be very careful. Buying an abused one can wreck one financially. Perform a very comprehensive check and inspection before purchase.

Many thanks boss
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by timifakay(m): 11:11am On Jan 29, 2019
afuyebusayo:
Pls which office in particular?

quote author=timifakay post=75173670]

Leventis- between Sango and Premier hotel.

Those shops by the road, across Coca-Cola. There are Honda part sellers there.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Elvislyk: 1:15pm On Jan 29, 2019
Please what type of gear box oil should I use for my 2005 Nissan altima 2.5 engine
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 2:48pm On Jan 29, 2019
Elvislyk:
Please what type of gear box oil should I use for my 2005 Nissan altima 2.5 engine
Here

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by afuyebusayo: 2:55am On Jan 30, 2019
[thanks sir
quote author=timifakay post=75223489]

Those shops by the road, across Coca-Cola. There are Honda part sellers there. [/quote]

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by bizybrain(m): 4:59am On Jan 30, 2019
I have a 99 camry and the engine is very sound. My mechanic testifies to that. The issue is when I start the car in the morning a cloud of white smoke fills the air. But after then it disappears , they advised I change the engine in spite of it being ok because of the smoke. And it's a V6 engine. What's your expert advise.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by omotoyossi(m): 8:07am On Jan 30, 2019
MotorGuru.. I'm thinking of getting a nigerian used Honda accord 2006 or Toyota Corolla 05,06 ..which is better?..or should I stay away from nigerian used cars?
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:26am On Jan 30, 2019
bizybrain:
I have a 99 camry and the engine is very sound. My mechanic testifies to that. The issue is when I start the car in the morning a cloud of white smoke fills the air. But after then it disappears , they advised I change the engine in spite of it being ok because of the smoke. And it's a V6 engine. What's your expert advise.

Check coolant level every 2 weeks. Check oil level every week.

If ok then dont worry.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:27am On Jan 30, 2019
omotoyossi:
MotorGuru.. I'm thinking of getting a nigerian used Honda accord 2006 or Toyota Corolla 05,06 ..which is better?..or should I stay away from nigerian used cars?

If possible, yes please stay away from Nigerian used cars.
If you insist, the Corolla is a better choice.

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by omotoyossi(m): 8:52am On Jan 30, 2019
MotorGuru:

If possible, yes please stay away from Nigerian used cars.
If you insist, the Corolla is a better choice.
Thanks alot. What about Honda 08,09 Nigerian used for 1m..is that a good deal or too good to be true?cos I've seen various neat ones..
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 10:19am On Jan 30, 2019
omotoyossi:

Thanks alot. What about Honda 08,09 Nigerian used for 1m..is that a good deal or too good to be true?cos I've seen various neat ones..
Too good to be true sir.
A clean used one should go for at least 1.5 to 1.6 million.

1 Like

Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by martyns200(m): 10:33am On Jan 30, 2019
hello motot guru, how would u compare a corolla 2005 model to the 09 model in terms of ruggedity, maintenance and second hand value cos am thinking of getting one but trying to weigh which is best for me. waiting for your candid advice
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by bizybrain(m): 11:04am On Jan 30, 2019
MotorGuru:

Check coolant level every 2 weeks. Check oil level every week.

If ok then dont worry.

Thanks Boss. will revert back to you.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 11:14am On Jan 30, 2019
martyns200:
hello motot guru, how would u compare a corolla 2005 model to the 09 model in terms of ruggedity, maintenance and second hand value cos am thinking of getting one but trying to weigh which is best for me. waiting for your candid advice

the 2009 model is more refined.

The 2005 model will tolerate abuse a lot better.

That is why they are everywhere ( like cockroaches, you cant kill them grin ). Wih very good second hand value.
In-fact it is only This generation of Corolla that you can buy it 1.3 million Nigerian used and sell 1.320 Nigerian used grin (i kid you not)

But the 2009 model is also very reliable. In its own right.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by DukeNija(m): 12:24pm On Jan 30, 2019
FrankFrenzy:

Don’t try it, you’ll regret it. Stick to your Orobo and fix whatever you need to get it up to speed. Very honest opinion. Toyota is far more reliable than Honda
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by DukeNija(m): 12:29pm On Jan 30, 2019
adejide2:
Good morning car gurus in house. Kindly advice me on the choice of a good car considering its reliability, durability, ruggedness and easy maintenance and accord good status out of these cars. Road leading to my house is very rough. Highlander, Lexus rx, rav4 and Honda pilot. I am considering buy Nigeria used one at 1,500,000.00. Please don't forget the year and other relevant information

Highlander is your best bet
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by martyns200(m): 1:58pm On Jan 30, 2019
MotorGuru:

the 2009 model is more refined.

The 2005 model will tolerate abuse a lot better.

That is why they are everywhere ( like cockroaches, you cant kill them grin ). Wih very good second hand value.
In-fact it is only This generation of Corolla that you can buy it 1.3 million Nigerian used and sell 1.320 Nigerian used grin (i kid you not)

But the 2009 model is also very reliable. In its own right.

thanks sir
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Moneystopnonsen: 6:06pm On Jan 30, 2019
Motor guru just scanned now. Error codes showing are
P0018
P0986

MotorGuru:

You may be having Transmission problems. Scan your car for codes and if any, post here.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by FrankFrenzy(m): 7:01pm On Jan 30, 2019
DukeNija:

Don’t try it, you’ll regret it. Stick to your Orobo and fix whatever you need to get it up to speed. Very honest opinion. Toyota is far more reliable than Honda

Many thanks bro..
Will do exactly that or better still get another Toyota car
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by DukeNija(m): 7:03pm On Jan 30, 2019
FrankFrenzy:

Many thanks bro..
Will do exactly that or better still get another Toyota car

UW. Never ever buy a Nigerian used Honda. Never ever!
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by DukeNija(m): 7:04pm On Jan 30, 2019
D
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 7:05pm On Jan 30, 2019
Moneystopnonsen:
Motor guru just scanned now. Error codes showing are
P0018
P0986

Code 1 is related to your engine. Did you recently work on your timing belt? If yes get a competent mechanic to recheck your timing. If no, check all connections to your camshaft and crankshaft sensor and inspect the wirings.

Code 2 is related to your transmission and it is most likely an electrical connection problem. Check the wire harness and connection to your transmission socket. If all is well and good, you may be having a bad solenoid ( Soleniod 'E') in your gearbox valvebody.

In any case first of all get a very good electrician to inspect the wirings first before you go invasive. It is possible rodents may have had a field day in your vehicle engine bay.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by Moneystopnonsen: 12:27am On Jan 31, 2019
Thanks motor guru.

I have never worked on my timing before, but i will do as you say and give you feed back.

As for the transmission, it was a 13 pin and was converted to 10pin, when gear couldn't select after just replacing the rubber covering the drivers tire shaft.

Thanks for the insight

MotorGuru:

Code 1 is related to your engine. Did you recently work on your timing belt? If yes get a competent mechanic to recheck your timing. If no, check all connections to your camshaft and crankshaft sensor and inspect the wirings.

Code 2 is related to your transmission and it is most likely an electrical connection problem. Check the wire harness and connection to your transmission socket. If all is well and good, you may be having a bad solenoid ( Soleniod 'E') in your gearbox valvebody.

In any case first of all get a very good electrician to inspect the wirings first before you go invasive. It is possible rodents may have had a field day in your vehicle engine bay.
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:13am On Jan 31, 2019
Moneystopnonsen:
Thanks motor guru.

I have never worked on my timing before, but i will do as you say and give you feed back.

As for the transmission, it was a 13 pin and was converted to 10pin, when gear couldn't select after just replacing the rubber covering the drivers tire shaft.

Thanks for the insight

There lies your problem.

The car will NEVER shift right until you replace your transmission with the correct one (U151E)
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 11:33am On Jan 31, 2019
available
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 8:28am On Feb 01, 2019
for your reviews
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by MotorGuru: 9:42am On Feb 01, 2019
your best reviews here
Re: Your Motor Guru Is Here! Ask Your Questions... by afuyebusayo: 11:32am On Feb 01, 2019
How often do I have to change my automatic gear oil per year?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (34) (Reply)

Volkswagen Says Goodbye To Iconic Beetle (ijapa) With This Emotional Video / Would You Buy This Joystick & Butt-Shaped Car? (Photos) / Man Uses "Juju" To Secure His Car After It Broke Down In A Ghetto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.